The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I personally would just like to see something other than western style architecture and locales in the game.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

It had interesting environment.It was not just some usual fantasy thing that you see in every fantasy MMO (such as GW2).It had places that makes you say (WOOOW,this is unique).Asian stile fit to game alot.It also had vary interesting characters such us Shiro – Nika,even 1 of best trailers that i saw in online games.

Cantha means less fantasy and more new and unique environment.Fantasy got really boring.

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

It had interesting environment.It was not just some usual fantasy thing that you see in every fantasy MMO (such as GW2).It had places that makes you say (WOOOW,this is unique).Asian stile fit to game alot.It also had vary interesting characters such us Shiro – Nika,even 1 of best trailers that i saw in online games.

Cantha means less fantasy and more new and unique environment.Fantasy got really boring.

So if you want less “Fantasy” settings, what’s wrong with Elona and it’s African style setting? Think I’d much prefer it over an Asian setting because it’s even less used and Nightfall had a better story.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Almost everyone who played GW1 seems to want a cantha expansion for GW2 based on how great it was for GW1.

Ive been playing gw1 in my spare time over the past few months, just recently finished cantha and it just don’t get it?

Not trying to say it shouldn’t come back, I would just like peoples opinions on why they feel its so great.

I honestly found it worse than nightfall and eotn. 2/3 of the map were ugly. Kaineng city graphics seemed poorer quality compared to the rest of the game. The story itself was OK but ruined for me by the voice acting and irritating ‘protect master togo’ missions.

Is it simply because I missed the hype and newness of the game when it was first released? Or the fact Ive been playing with heros rather than real people?

All GW1 campaigns had very unique art, Cantha was eastern/chinese-based. Factions had some very distinct and original locations, a huge mega-city, a petrified forest and a forest sea, with unique enemies and tasks.

At least for Humans, in GW2 they went for a more westernized look, although the actual Krytan style was completely different. Request for Cantha is more like a request for more variety, also most Canthan locations would look absolutely stunning in the GW2 engine (or at least I think Anet designers can manage that )

The storyline of Factions was by far the weakest and the voice acting was simply horrible, Prophecies didn’t have stellar Voice overs, but at least they were enjoyable, Factions was better experienced muted. I really liked the Music though, that’s different. The war between the Luxons and the Kurzicks was “resolved” so easily and quickly that it seemed completely out of place.

Lorewise Factions was really great though, it required at LEAST double the duration of the campaign to accurately show us what the Luxons/Kurzicks are all about, their interesting clans and noble houses, their wars between them. You get almost nothing of that in the actual game which is a real shame.

They “saved” the story with Winds of Change, that was rather good in my opinion and it wasn’t just painful to play like the original Factions story.

Of course part of the request for Cantha comes from the fact that Cantha was a huge new continent, smaller (But not by much) from the entire Prophecies map, it had x1.5 the amount of skills, 2 new professions and some very good new PVP mechanics.

I guess other than the unique art style and the unexplored lore, the main requests behind Cantha are mostly because of the great gameplay additions it brought to the franchise and not because the story or the voice acting were great (because they were terrible).

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

nightfall was better overall

Gameplay-wise I agree. It was obvious that nightfall was the third of the three campaigns and that Anet thus learned a lot in the process. Story-wise / Setting-wise though Prophecies will always be my favorite.

Posted by: Shinya.2598

Shinya.2598

It was so much feeling in cantha ><

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’s pretty much Nostalgia. There’s really no difference between that or anything else.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The interesting thing about people shouting about Cantha is that back during GW1s time many people said over and over again how Factions was the worst campaign.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

I think it may be nostalgia. Or just a desire for an expansion. Personally I felt Factions was the worst campaign between Prophecies, Factions and Nightfall. I even liked EOTM quite a bit more. The voice acting was very poor, the story was dull, and I hate hate hate the slums of Kaineng. The saving grace of the campaign for me was the Kurzick armor, by far my favorite in game.

If there were to be an expansion, I would much rather go back to Elona, honestly. Although I think the petrified Kurzick forests or the Jade Sea could be pretty spectacular with GW2’s level of detail.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Cantha expansion!

New player class!

Monk, Ninja, Samurai!

Make it happen!

Posted by: Zalman.8719

Zalman.8719

Loved how they took on the asian theme, no anime styled “imagine a bad word here” which I am sick of, it had a dark atmosphere I really loved and Winds of Change.

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

Egg rolls.

That is all.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Loved how they took on the asian theme, no anime styled “imagine a bad word here” which I am sick of, it had a dark atmosphere I really loved and Winds of Change.

to be fair, when GW1 was in it’s prime, the “anime craze” hadn’t hit America like it has now.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Kurrilino.2706

Kurrilino.2706

Good points didnt think about the possibility for a JP kaineng. The jade sea though has suppost to have melted and be water again and the stone forest has return to normal so from a lore perspective they couldnt bring those back.

Jade melting to Water ????

First of all, Jade has a melting point of 1200 degrees while the boiling point is 1975 degrees at 1 atmospheric pressure. Let’s assume Thyria has the same mass and roughly the same atmosphere you need an insane high temp to do that.
And even then it would be fluid Jade no water.

Since Jade is a carbon you would need super high pressure and heat to fuse it to Nitrogen which would have to be fused again into Oxygen.
At the same time you would have to release the pressure and break Carbon down 6 times to reach Hydrogen.

That leaves us with magic only.
Since there isn’t a second Jade Wind who turned everything into Jade when
Shiro Tagachi was slain everything stays like it is.

If someone announces now it still happened i demand the magic Dwarf ritual reversed and the Dwarfs coming back

Posted by: Dramen Maidria.1034

Dramen Maidria.1034

Good points didnt think about the possibility for a JP kaineng. The jade sea though has suppost to have melted and be water again and the stone forest has return to normal so from a lore perspective they couldnt bring those back.

Jade melting to Water ????

First of all, Jade has a melting point of 1200 degrees while the boiling point is 1975 degrees at 1 atmospheric pressure. Let’s assume Thyria has the same mass and roughly the same atmosphere you need an insane high temp to do that.
And even then it would be fluid Jade no water.

Since Jade is a carbon you would need super high pressure and heat to fuse it to Nitrogen which would have to be fused again into Oxygen.
At the same time you would have to release the pressure and break Carbon down 6 times to reach Hydrogen.

That leaves us with magic only.
Since there isn’t a second Jade Wind who turned everything into Jade when
Shiro Tagachi was slain everything stays like it is.

If someone announces now it still happened i demand the magic Dwarf ritual reversed and the Dwarfs coming back

You either didn’t play factions at all or you skipped every cutscene that explained WHY the sea was turned to jade. It was more of a curse, and it was being undone with Shiro being banished and the afflicted being exterminated. So yes, water turned to jade from a curse was returning to its original form, the same as a petrified forest was returning to life.

People loved Cantha not for its story but for its atmosphere. It had great architecture, interesting zones, its own weapons and armor skins, and its own flora and fauna. Westerners as a whole have been fascinated with the Far East for generations, probably due to how different it is from our own culture. It adds a variety to the game we would all love to see back.

As for Elona, I loved the African theme too and I am hoping we eventually get that back as well.

Dramen Maidria
Knights of ARES, Dragonbrand
Good times, good memories

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

Honestly, I didn’t care for Cantha…like at all. Inner city was a pain to navigate (imo), the armor was alright (my monk still wears her kurzick armor), the faction grind was..well, I’ll skip that subject. I loved my assassin and rit though. I prefer Elona over Cantha personally. I thought Palawa Joko was pretty funny.

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

new classes
new skills
new weapons sets for classes
new traits

more skills on top of skills

if not total disappointment

notice more story content is not on my list

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

Giant turtles with cannons strapped to their backs – how could you not want this?

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

Cantha basically means “asian”. Asian cities, scenery, armors, weapons…

Posted by: Tiffany.8576

Tiffany.8576

Meh. Factions was the worst expansion, imo, and Cantha was dull. I’d take Elona over Cantha.

A lot of people talk about Cantha because they’re probably just repeating what they’ve read other people post without really playing the original themselves. Most people I know who actually did play GW1 almost unanimously agree that Factions and Cantha sucked. It was a rushed mess and the landscape was repetitive, drab and boring. The Asian theme really didn’t fit into the game at all either.

Nightfall and Elona saved the game after the mistake that was Factions.

Tiff | [TW] Tempest Wolves | WvW Staff Tempest Guide
NA/EU sPvP Elementalist

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

One word; Sewage, you got to play in sewage. I was never a fan of Factions.

Posted by: Anyandrell.6238

Anyandrell.6238

I never liked Factions. Kaineng looks absolutely horrible. The market was and is so inundated with South-Korean and other Asian games so Factions just seems another Asian game. Story was weak.
Prophecies is still my most beloved GW1, followed by Nightfall and EOTM. TBH I played Factions just to say that I played it and to get a few of the elite boss skills. Then never set my virtual foot back on Cantha.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

For me it was the art style and mob placement in the maps. Namely the Luxon maps.

I’ve never been much for deserts so I wasn’t feeling Nightfall that much. Vabbi area was great though.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Factions was not my favorite campaign but I did enjoy it.

I enjoyed the ability to adventure in an urban setting. The mazelike design of Kaineng and the emphasis on human (even the afflicted started off as human) opponents. Nothing against carious wilderness or pastoral settings but the dark, grungy, dirt feeling of Kaineng was a nice bit of variety to me.

The echovald forest and the Kurzick’s gothic aesthetics were appealing simply because I found them breathtaking. “Turtle lover” territories were an interesting design concept that lost their novelty for me fairly quickly but still had their own unique feel.

I liked the pressure of timed missions over the mission and bonus in Prophecies. The sense of urgency added a lot for me even when familiarity made master’s the norm even in hard mode.

I loved the afflicted. Conceptually as well as their impact on combat strategies.

The story was not particularly great. Not bad, but not great . Decent by MMO standards in my opinion though.

Factions did have some of my favorite armor and weapon skins. Elite Kurzick armor, Golden Phoenix Blades, Zodiac Weapons, Celestial weapons were all very appealing to me.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The Jade Sea was may favorite area in all Guild Wars 1.

I’ve beaten Factions on every single one of my 27 Guild Wars 1 characters. And Eye of the North as well. Can’t say the same about Prophecies and Nightfall.

Posted by: Rethmar Stokestrike.1927

Rethmar Stokestrike.1927

If you don’t think Cantha is special, then you must be against China. If you’re against China, you must not like the Chinese. If you don’t like the Chinese, then you must not like Asians. If you don’t like Asians, then you must be racist.

/liberallogic.

GS Berzerker Builds: Making Wammo style Warriors cry since 2012.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

Can you imagine each expansion bringing a different WvW map EB + borderlands too. Asian themed WvW in Cantha, African themed in Elona?
So not only we have borderlands rotations every week, also a map change..
I can dream can I.

That’s what I’ve been dreaming about since release! I really like borderlands, but I would love them if they were themed (even Cursed Shore-themed and Maguuma-themed maps) just to offer uniqueness to ever map.

But to stay on topic… I can’t wait to see if there will be something new regarding Cantha!

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

I remember when I was hyped about GW2. I had been playing a lot of GW1 before the release thinking. Yeah, this is good stuff. If I had know the way lore would be treated before the game actually got released I don’t’ think I would have been willing to buy GW2.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

It had a rather short campaign and horrible voice acting (Shiro, oh my god… so bad). But the lore and the atmosphere, the setting and the music were fantastic. I always loved the Factions and it always had a special place in my heart. I absolutely liked Elona with its longer campaign and story, but Cantha had this special feel for me.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Well then, it looks like we’re not heading back to Cantha any time soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMvcglKzCgE

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

That’s the point. I’d rather see a new game more true to what Guild Wars is, than a GW2 expansion.

They just need to start over and actually make the amazing game they told us about during GW2 development.

Oh, but it is though… I have 2000+ hours played saying this game is just that – and that’s just as a semi-casual.
And I know many who’ve got waaay more.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

expansion 2 then. we can still hope.

or living world!

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

Posted by: HenleyLegoMan.4987

HenleyLegoMan.4987

So, an expansion has arrived. Or, as I call it, an update.

An update with a new region. Is this what we will get every 2 years, a new profession and just one new region per expansion?

Look at the world map, Maguuma is a tiny region and I don’t care that it’s layered. Guild wars expansions should be continent not content.

So with one region every 2 years, do you all realise we will all be dead by the time cantha and elona return?

Maybe I’ll be able to play it in the mists…….

Come on anet, stop taking the kitten and tell us when we are getting the proper expansion!

There has never been a good war, or a bad peace.

(edited by HenleyLegoMan.4987)

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

There is going to be no return to Cantha. At least that has been the stance since GW2 was released.

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Factions and Nightfall were stand alone Campaigns, by the way. Not expansions.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Yes, the hit-men are on the way.

Thanks for contacting Break-A-Wish™!

Posted by: HenleyLegoMan.4987

HenleyLegoMan.4987

Sorry yes, standalone. The way anet used to do things. I love guild wars because of factions, it’s what got me into this world.

So apologies if I expected more.

There has never been a good war, or a bad peace.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

You know, I don’t think I ever read anywhere that there was even the hint that there would be a return to elona and cantha. As if fighting the 4 remaining dragons isn’t enough, you’re suggesting that anet release content requiring the fighting of a zombie army led by Palawa Joko and breaching into cantha, which would technically be an act of war between kryta and cantha as the emperor closed the borders.

Gaming aside, you do realise there is a war going on, yes? There aren’t exactly enough soldiers to fight on 4 fronts now let alone 6.

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Heart of Thorns is more like EOTN, though we don’t exactly know what they mean by the ‘challenging group content’ yet. Less zones than EOTN, but most of the zones in EOTN were very empty and dull anyway, I much prefer more tightly packed zones with multiple levels.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Will we ever go back to Cantha or Elona?
Seeing how this mini expansion supposedly took more than a year to make (just the jungle biome), it’s really hard to imagine them creating and releasing full fledged Cantha continent with Kaineng city, Echovald Forest and Jade Sea.

I imagine it wouldn’t be hard for them to eventually release Crystal Desert, Dominion of Wind, Char/Norn homelands, but I just don’t see them doing large continents at this point or the past pace.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

Likely never. Closest we might get to Elona is when we take on Kralketorrik. Certain Asian countries took offense to Cantha’s architecture and theme, and of course these days just about any form of Middle Eastern theme is offensive to a lot of people. I could be wrong, but I doubt we’ll ever see Cantha or Elona again because political correctness is running rampant.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Well, it really depends on how much content there is going to be. The maps can be huge with sparse events, or it can be small packed with lots of events and other things.

It’s really quite hard to measure content, and compare it to other stuff. GW2 took 5+ years i think? With HoT, i think they’ve laid out the hardest part by introducing a new class, skills, masteries, and specs.. all these take months to a year or more to create. With these foundations laid out though, maybe they’ll create more content faster now. They also have the living story too.

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

Posted this in wrong thread.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

Well, it really depends on how much content there is going to be. The maps can be huge with sparse events, or it can be small packed with lots of events and other things.

It’s really quite hard to measure content, and compare it to other stuff. GW2 took 5+ years i think? With HoT, i think they’ve laid out the hardest part by introducing a new class, skills, masteries, and specs.. all these take months to a year or more to create. With these foundations laid out though, maybe they’ll create more content faster now. They also have the living story too.

Guild Wars 2 has only been out for a little over 2 years now. If you are talking about Guild Wars 1 and the time it took for them to come out with Factions that only took a year and 2 days.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Entitled much….

You can return to gw1 if it bothers you that much. Cantha never left.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

If Cantha happens it’ll be after the sixth dragon is dead which means the one known as Bubbles for now of the shores of Cantha deep in the oceans. My guess for now is that when we finally get to him he will be coming out to attack Kaineng city. As for the expansion naming one zone does not make it an expansion.

My thoughts about maps are that “Heart of Maguma” is only one of many explorable regions within the 2 territories in the expansion. Maguma Jungle and Maguma Wastes. Why Maguma Wastes because we are not in the jungle yet and on the video we see Rytlock walking in a new wastes region. Looking at the present map what was known in GW 1 as the Maguma Jungle is now shown as Magus Falls. However Magus Falls was only one explorable region in GW 1 it is also where Mordremoth was hibernating.

As for dying before Cantha comes out, yes many hundreds or thousands of times.

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

I would be surprised if Cantha would be revisited within the expected lifetime of the game. Even if we start dealing with Elder Dragons a little faster than currently, it’s looking like we may still need another couple of expansions to do it, which should be done by around… 2018-20? If Cantha were the very next thing on the plate, that would pretty much line it up for GW2’s 10th anniversary… which even GW1 has not yet reached (though will in a few months).

If the franchise is still strong enough – which is a possibility for sure – Cantha may be more of a GW3 candidate.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: larv.3456

larv.3456

nothing about cantha:(

Posted by: Samuli.7852

Samuli.7852

nothing about cantha:(

Maybe we’ll explore Tyria first? And I think Elona after that would be logical. I still have hope for Cantha!

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Imo revenant sneak peak looks like reimagined assassin/ritualist classes from gw1 factions (cantha). If those 2 arnt being saved for cantha…could spell doom for that continent ;-(

However, I suppose if they are saving tengu, there is some hope ;-)