The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

What I don’t get is ArenaNet has a no-brainer with both Cantha and Elona as evidenced by the size and duration of this and other threads. Yet, resources are devoted to ShovelWare like this current Mordrem “Event.”

Whoever is making these awful decisions needs to learn to read the handwriting on the wall.

Maybe we should all chip in and buy them a pair of glasses.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

I think we have more chance of seeing Elona before we see Cantha, im sure 3 or 4 expansions down the line we might see the Crystal Desert, which has the portal to Elona, so who knows,

I find it hard to believe that with the amount of people and talk about Elona and Cantha, and they decided an expansion would be 4 new maps.

Posted by: Natsu.1097

Natsu.1097

Please make Cantha happen! Was and still is my favorite region!

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

No, you’re not the only one who wants it. But I think there are far more players either don’t care/don’t know about it. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-Cantha-Thread-Merged/page/54

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

No, you’re not the only one who wants it. But I think there are far more players either don’t care/don’t know about it. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-Cantha-Thread-Merged/page/54

But if they did, they would want it . . . also not everyone comes on the forums.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

But if they did, they would want it . . . also not everyone comes on the forums.

Some might want it if they knew about it; others might not. And indeed, only a certain percentage of the playerbase reads the forums, and a smaller percentage of that posts to the forums.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

I prefer Elona myself XD but I’d love to get anything new.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I know about it; I don’t really want it. I’d much rather have the Crystal Desert to Cantha.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Elona!!!! asdafdfsagdsagsad #BecauseCharactersAreNeeded

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think Elona would be good too. I liked the characters a lot and the plot was good. I wonder why so many people don’t like Cantha though. :/

What gives you the impression that people don’t like Cantha? I loved much of Factions, especially the Jade Sea. I just prefer to see new bits of Tyria instead of revisiting the parts we’ve seen before.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

The yearning is real.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

Not being locked to the Prophecies section of the world would be pretty fantastic, especially with the little snippets of world building relevant to the other areas we’d gotten before -- just enough to keep us wondering what’s going on down in Elona or Cantha.

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

We don’t need Cantha back, the game is asian enough already.

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

We need Cantha with alliance battles. And Fort Aspenwood.

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

Its unlikely to return, and if it does, it won’t be how it used to be. The Asian market didn’t like Cantha very much because of how it mixed their cultures together. They’re very picky about how their cultures are represented in video games, so mixing any part of the Asian cultures into a unified representation of that region is a huge no no for them. Divinity’s Reach originally had a Canthan district (It was where the Pavilion is now) that ANet was forced to pull from the game. Someone at NCSoft didn’t like how it took elements of most of the major Asian cultures and mashed them together.

Stuff goes here.

(edited by Kravick.4906)

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

I want Spiritualist and build template back! Answer is NO we cant have it. So move on….

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think Elona would be good too. I liked the characters a lot and the plot was good. I wonder why so many people don’t like Cantha though. :/

There were two major complaints with Factions. One it was too short/fast, and secondly and probably more importantly, many many people hated Kaineng Center. They got lost running around.

I’ve heard that complaint so many times. In fact, recently at the beta, someone in my guild complained about the new zones in HoT being like Kaineng Center, but I don’t think it’s as bad as all that.

I think it’s just the frustration of not knowing where to go. Of course, in KC that persisted for a lot longer than in most of the game.

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

Kaineng was… Yeah. It was a giant cluster kitten of a design. The first couple of zones were also loudly complained about. They weren’t fun to navigate and everything looked the same. Canthan starter island and the Luxon/Kurzick territories were beautiful, but man, that city scene was awful.

Stuff goes here.

Posted by: TheBlackS.3561

TheBlackS.3561

Its unlikely to return, and if it does, it won’t be how it used to be. The Asian market didn’t like Cantha very much because of how it mixed their cultures together. They’re very picky about how their cultures are represented in video games, so mixing any part of the Asian cultures into a unified representation of that region is a huge no no for them. Divinity’s Reach originally had a Canthan district that ANet was forced to pull from the game. Someone at NCSoft didn’t like how it took elements of most of the major Asian cultures (It was where the Pavilion is now).

Actually they just need to separate feudal japan stuff from traditional chinese/korean culture, which is pretty similar anyway
Oh, and Mongolians as sort of bad guys

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

Kaineng was… Yeah. It was a giant cluster kitten of a design. The first couple of zones were also loudly complained about. They weren’t fun to navigate and everything looked the same. Canthan starter island and the Luxon/Kurzick territories were beautiful, but man, that city scene was awful.

mostly agree

but the city worked well with the plague theme. first time i went into the central area only to find them comign from all directions. that made me fall in love with it. city worked then =)

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

As cool as that would be, both Kurzick’s and Luxson’s and been crushed and brought back in to the Dragon Empire. So Alliance battles would not make much sense.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: KeybladeMaster.3148

KeybladeMaster.3148

With Shiro being included in HoT, is there any hope to return to Cantha?

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Ok, first of all, I know the devs are aware of this, but if the 53-page, two-year-old thread doesn’t have enough weight yet, let me just pile on a bit more on the “We Want Cantha” side of things.

You need new races? I’ve got three.
1. Tengu.
I haven’t even read this thread but I would be flabbergasted to learn if nobody had suggested this before.

2. Kurzick.

3: Luxons.

There you go, if the reason we don’t have Cantha in the works was because you didn’t want to make two different groups of Humans, I just fixed it, free of charge.

Kurzick and Luxons are no more, they brought to an end by the Kaineng Emperor.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

As cool as that would be, both Kurzick’s and Luxson’s and been crushed and brought back in to the Dragon Empire. So Alliance battles would not make much sense.

Fort Aspenwood is basically in GW2 now as Champion’s Dawn.

Posted by: Pwent.2639

Pwent.2639

<3 factions was probably the greatest playthough in any game for me. Really hope they revisit cantha.

Ida

Posted by: rajjy.4832

rajjy.4832

Dear me. This thread still lives! Just as my hopes and dreams for some Cantha goodness in GW2 are.

Posted by: SirDerp.3520

SirDerp.3520

Please let me go to Cantha.

Posted by: Taupos.2901

Taupos.2901

Please, let us go to Cantha! Faction was my favorite, let me experience that again!

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Fort Aspenwood is basically in GW2 now as Champion’s Dawn.

I know, but alliance battles as they where are no more. Sure they could pop up in PvP, that would be cool. But not part of a canthan map like they where in GW Factions. As they would be out of place as I stated, the factions are no more.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: rajjy.4832

rajjy.4832

Just think: Jump Puzzles and Cantha. INSANE! AMAZING! Please make this happen.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Given the social awkwardness, culture mixing, and general forced pandering to oversensitive asian audiences, I could only see Cantha coming back as a highly diversified “civil war” area in which Canthans split themselves in to recognizable asiatic cultures.

The problem with that is that it completely destroys the aesthetic and theme of Cantha as a place. What made cantha special really was that feel of a “unified asia” and the way that all the architectural, clothing, and cultural elements were blended together.

In a “socially acceptable for asian markets” Cantha, that would be lost, and we’d end up with a really boring continent full of simply mundane “oh, here is team japan, here is team korea, here is team china” vibe.

Or, in stead they could revisit Elona, which was a just plain more well developed and interesting setting in every way.

I’ve seen alternate asia in like half of every MMO ever and if we’re not going to get a unique treatment of “only the coolest looking stuff from all of asian history” like we did in factions that would completely overcomplicate and subvert the existing lore, then I’d rather not see it at all.

Elona on the other hand is extremely unique as a fantasy environment. I can’t even come up with a single other MMO, or even a single video game that really dove deep in to north african culture and built a thriving and sensible world around it.

If I had to choose between a Cantha gutted in the interest of political correctness, or an Elona untouched by anything but the natural flow of tyria’s lore, I’d pick elona every time.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Ewol Navi.3750

Ewol Navi.3750

I’ve been hoping for expansions that will take us back to the other two continents since game launch. Hoping that at some point, this “no Cantha & Elona” policy will be reversed, and we’ll get to see what really became of those lands. Nightfall was my favorite expansion, and I’d love to go back to Elona some day.

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

I would love to see Cantha and Elona come back.
Although I have a feeling Palawa Jokos going to get us to do stuff for him again if we do make it to Elona…

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

Posted by: nivii.2768

nivii.2768

Part of me wants to believe that ANet might be saying ‘no, we won’t do it’ for marketing purposes. I say this, because the idea of ‘the more we say no, the more they’ll want it’ is really effective, and if they suddenly came out with a Canthan-like expansion at the least, I feel like it will be pretty hyped.
I don’t feel like it’s in their best interest to say ‘no we won’t be going back to Cantha or Elona’, because after we’ve explored all of Tyria, what then? I’m also worried that Heart of Thorns itself may not deliver on the scale previous GW1 expansions had, since we received an enormous amount of map (I mean, a true expansion) versus just a portion of the map being revealed.
I don’t know how we actually convey it to ANet that Cantha is something that a huge portion of players would want, and as some people have mentioned, not that many people post in the forums (compared to the actual number of players) so it may not be something that they look at.
Regardless, I want Cantha. Been screaming about it since GW2 dropped and I’m gonna keep screaming about it.

Zalani.9827

I think you Cantha people will like this: http://www.callofcantha.vasburg.com/

Dragonbrand

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Although I have a feeling Palawa Jokos going to get us to do stuff for him again if we do make it to Elona…

You mean fight him to free Elona from his grasp…….not do stuff for him….

Zalani.9827

I was joking about the fact that we did a bunch of stuff for him back in Gw1.
Sorry that I’m not funny…

Dragonbrand

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I was joking about the fact that we did a bunch of stuff for him back in Gw1.
Sorry that I’m not funny…

It’s ok, I got the joke.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Ragfell.7594

Ragfell.7594

A previous poster wanted to delete their post, but this is the gist of what they said:

Nothing can stop us from visiting Cantha and Elona, while we have ships of Zephyrites .

THIS is very, very true.. There’s no reason anymore, beyond a marketing push. And while NCSoft may be Korean, I feel like ArenaNet’s customer base is primarily American. (I don’t have any numbers to support this, so please educate me if I’m wrong.) As a result…it might be wise to look towards them.

This thread has existed now for two years. We’ve eliminated one of the canonic lore reasons why we can’t travel there (seas are too rough) thanks to the airships. What if Kuunavang was an elder dragon, similar to Glint? What if she ended up wreaking havoc with the new emperor’s plans? What if she remade the Jade Sea/Echovald Forest in a fashion similar to the Dragonbrand? The sky’s the limit here in terms of story.

While Nightfall expanded on the ascension storyline from Prophecies (after a lot of shoehorning), Factions dared to be an island in every way. Weh no Su was a great approach to the Ascension question, and gave Canthan religion a lot more flavor, one I wish was explored more. Was Factions too short? Yes. Did it have some shortcomings in terms of map design? Perhaps.

But it was so freaking cool.

(edited by Ragfell.7594)

Posted by: Toshiro.3184

Toshiro.3184

I began playing Guild Wars approximately at the age of 13 or so, I absolutely loved every expansion Guild Wars 1 produced, I will say Factions was by far my favorite for many reasons, few of those reasons being the classes, the detailed story line and the overall scenery that accompanied it all. I absolutely enjoy the idea of an expansion or Living World story line involving Cantha! Nothing would excite me more than to see what the world of Cantha has turned into with everything that has happened since. I hope more people vote for a canthan addition of content so that this becomes a possibility!

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Given the social awkwardness, culture mixing, and general forced pandering to oversensitive asian audiences, I could only see Cantha coming back as a highly diversified “civil war” area in which Canthans split themselves in to recognizable asiatic cultures.

The problem with that is that it completely destroys the aesthetic and theme of Cantha as a place. What made cantha special really was that feel of a “unified asia” and the way that all the architectural, clothing, and cultural elements were blended together.

In a “socially acceptable for asian markets” Cantha, that would be lost, and we’d end up with a really boring continent full of simply mundane “oh, here is team japan, here is team korea, here is team china” vibe.

Or, in stead they could revisit Elona, which was a just plain more well developed and interesting setting in every way.

I’ve seen alternate asia in like half of every MMO ever and if we’re not going to get a unique treatment of “only the coolest looking stuff from all of asian history” like we did in factions that would completely overcomplicate and subvert the existing lore, then I’d rather not see it at all.

Elona on the other hand is extremely unique as a fantasy environment. I can’t even come up with a single other MMO, or even a single video game that really dove deep in to north african culture and built a thriving and sensible world around it.

If I had to choose between a Cantha gutted in the interest of political correctness, or an Elona untouched by anything but the natural flow of tyria’s lore, I’d pick elona every time.

I’d really love for Cantha to return but not like that. Still, it’s been centuries since the Guild Wars 1 timeline so there’s lots of scope for change. I personally think it’d be great to shoehorn in a martial arts vampire theme. If there are new elite specs then I think giving ninja to warrior, which would be daredevil modified for warrior while warrior obtains stealth skills with their new weapon (offhand dagger and some utilities). Warrior can already duel wield swords so it makes sense while thief can have a monk elite spec because thief is relatively weak on group healing apart from shadow refuge condition removal. Elementalist meanwhile can be an idol with a pop theme mechanically based off boons and would somewhat be like chronomancer but without the base mesmer stuff and have a different rhythm and boonset to it to avoid obsoleting chronomancers or making taking an idol and chronomancer redundant. Meanwhile necromancers can have a solid fang spec where they gain vampiric powers like transforming into bats (skill similar to ele’s mistform) and while I know they have lifesteal need more vampire stuff. Two elites cannot be taken so no daredevil monks please.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

Posted by: gclhoutx.7234

gclhoutx.7234

Bump for more Cantha in GW2, personally never experienced GW1: Factions and The Winds of Change side story. Would be nice to see this in the GW2 engine instead of going backwards into the GW1 engine.

Considering the GW2 Thief is a spin-off from the GW1: Factions Assassin. Id prolly try rolling a monk as well if it were added as well.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

More new leet specs:

1.Slayer: base class Mesmer. Their new weapons are daggers. The slayer skill glorious bod would make the player immune to critical hits thus is a counter to passives that have a 100% crit proc like a weapon swap from a sigil.

2.Black belt: base class guardian. With no weapons equipped it’s like having two celestial ascended weapons for this guy. The elite skill bicycle kick cannot be blocked and last a little longer than a ranger’s rapid fire. It’s like rapid fire mechanically but the black belt tracks its target with chained attacks. Cannot be interrupted, 60 second cool down, 20% more crit with no weapons equipped.

So far we have:

1.Monk-thief
2.Ninja-warrior
3.Idol-elementalist
4.Solid fang-necromancer
5.Slayer-mesmer
6.Black belt-guardian

That leaves three more.

7.Fast rider: ranger. They ride their pets and obtain 1/2 of the pet’s stats. So if a brisleback has 16k HP and a ranger rides it the ranger would obtain 8k HP in addition to half its defense, crit, power,etc. Saddle of justice would increase the stats to 1.5x pet’s base stats for a 15 second period. Pet skills can still be used, but being mounted cannot attack one player while the ranger handles another. Like druid traits for staff (since two elites cannot be taken at once it makes sense to have the same weapon type as another elite so it’s no net loss in the end) and has druid’s staff skills complete with healing, only celestial avatar is missing in order to keep the balance.

8.Bladetecher-engineer. It makes sense to finally give engineer swords because I think the 2012 Halloween chain sword goes great with them. Kits revolve around augmenting blades. Remember in World of Warcraft rogues using different poisons on daggers? Here the same principle applies with different effects including shared group lifesteal, chill spam, burn, or poison effects can be augmented to the swords. Don’t know what elite skills to add however, engineer is already pretty versatile. Keeping in mind that it can’t stack with scrapper however maybe reuse their elite skill?

And for revenant…I got nothing so far, sorry :(

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

Oh go die in a fire..Cantha!

Nightfall sold way more copies than Factions.
True story.

(edited by Monk Tank.5897)

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

That was actually pretty nice.

Bring Back (Long Live) Cantha.

Even if NCsoft kills it.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I miss my homeland. ;-;

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Ngeluz.4860

Ngeluz.4860

I think that’s the publishers fault… since I think NCsoft is in its core run by Asians…and their horrible marketing that they try to implement in the western entertainment…But that’s another issue for another post… I could go on on how they destroyed my favorite game Aion and turn it into a fashion show with wings… wich I really love the art, it just had no substance… aaaannnnnd the list can go on, but now that GW2 is almost there with the cosmetic and the pretty gliders I have no reason to go back, its only a matter of time before they open the skies for flying/fighing and the oceans too…ehem… sorry about that.

Going back to the subject I believe that maybe In order to Cantha to return they need to make it more Fantasy seting Demi-human than actual real life human culture…

Example substitute the Dragon and Chinese status stuff with Fantasy beast lore for the world of Tiria… or at least re-work it to make it extremely subtle so it would not be offensive to any for the Asian cultures.

Truth be told I don’t know what was the big issue here because we have Blade and Soul that’s heavy on the Asian art/lore and not in the most positive cultural light with all the women there how their exploit their sexuality in the game subtly lol… I think something big happen and was cover up… it all seem too half bake to me… It just burns me that they don’t attack does games…noooo they had to attack Anet the western mmo… I’m just going to stop, I just going to keep faith that Anet will find a lope hole and find a way to go forward with it…some how…someday…anytime now…right…?

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

“Elementalist meanwhile can be an idol with a pop theme mechanically based off boons and would somewhat be like chronomancer but without the base mesmer stuff and have a different rhythm and boonset to it to avoid obsoleting chronomancers or making taking an idol and chronomancer redundant.”

C-POP anyone, for GW 2 2016?

That would make some sense seeing how elementalists already seem very Canthan in design with their default look when you make a female one, yet that seems to be a stretch still even if they have fanciful dress attire.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

(edited by Yumiko Ishida.3769)

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

That’s true, you’d think with Airships nothing would stop us from going to Cantha!

It was disappointing to hear that they are sacrificing story for their so called wonderful gameplay. The Storyline was part of the reason why I got so hooked on GW1 in the first place. Even WoW is digging back into their old BC title to make new lore and story content. Does this mean we have to wait until GW2 is 10 years old before we will see Cantha?

Regardless, Cantha or Elona should happen. Fresh continents with old lore would satisfy both new and veteran players.

Wake me up when we get to Cantha……

That almost brought tears to my eyes. This artist is so talented! And so young too! It’s a lovely tribute to the original designers. But it also reminded me that Jeremy Soule will no longer contribute to the GW soundtrack since he made that deal with the now defunct Everquest Next. It’s really a shame. Guess I have to wait for the next Elder Scrolls title to hear anything new from him, gamewise.

(edited by Zhaneel.9208)

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

So dont think you know it better than the previous devs. Stop screwing around with the jungle and create the expansion people really want. Go Cantha or Elona.