The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TrevZach.3807

TrevZach.3807

Guild Wars 2: Dragon of the South

The third Elite Specialization I’d like to introduce in what they should do for a Canthan expansion is the Plague Keeper:

Elite Specialization: The Plague Keeper

Since Shiro’s second death, mysterious necromancers have secretly kept his plague-like Affliction alive, waiting for the right time to use it. Now that Cantha is once again in danger, necromancers are using the plague for good, unleashing their devastating powers on the enemies of the land. The Plague Keeper elite specialization allows Necromancers to duel wield Axes, and gain access to a new Utility-Skill Type: Afflictions. Afflictions are similar to a Thief’s Poisons, as they inflict conditions and an effect of some sort. What makes them different is that they also inflict the target with a dormant condition that cannot be removed, and affects them so that when they die, an Afflicted minion rises from their corpse.

When I was thinking about what to do with the Necromancer, I remembered the Afflicted from Guild Wars: Factions. They’re disgusting, but isn’t that what Necromancers are all about? Being able to duel wield Axes and tear foes to shreds with an kitten nal of plague creatures at your back just sounds really cool.

TrevZach.3807

The third Elite Specialization I’d like to introduce in what they should do for a Canthan expansion is the Plague Keeper:

Elite Specialization: The Plague Keeper

Since Shiro’s second death, mysterious necromancers have secretly kept his plague-like Affliction alive, waiting for the right time to use it. Now that Cantha is once again in danger, necromancers are using the plague for good, unleashing their devastating powers on the enemies of the land. The Plague Keeper elite specialization allows Necromancers to duel wield Axes, and gain access to a new Utility-Skill Type: Afflictions. Afflictions are similar to a Thief’s Poisons, as they inflict conditions and an effect of some sort. What makes them different is that they also inflict the target with a dormant condition that cannot be removed, and affects them so that when they die, an Afflicted minion rises from their corpse.

When I was thinking about what to do with the Necromancer, I remembered the Afflicted from Guild Wars: Factions. They’re disgusting, but isn’t that what Necromancers are all about? Being able to duel wield Axes and tear foes to shreds with an kitten nal of plague creatures at your back just sounds really cool.

Oh haha. I was saying the word it corrected to “kitten al” as in like a collection or army of plague creatures or something but I guess it thought the first part was a curse word.

Posted by: Wishmaster.7693

Wishmaster.7693

now that they released elona they have no excuse anymore, no one will leave guild wars just to have a bit of asian stuff in it, ever

Posted by: Megis.9264

Megis.9264

Can we at least get Canthan style hair and faces?

Posted by: Alneor.3986

Alneor.3986

In my opinion if the next expansion was Cantha and if we had Tengus, we would start on the west area from Lion’s Arch. Then we could take a ship and get Cantha from there.

Something like “Hey dude, Cantha is on fire because of a big dragon lol! Need help there quickly! Oh btw do you like birds? Start with a new one!”.

Posted by: knyy.6427

knyy.6427

If we are going to cantha in expansion 3 and the new thief elite spec gets greatsword my (gw2) life is complete!

Posted by: Alneor.3986

Alneor.3986

Well GW Factions was THE expansion of PvP so it would be nice to get cool features. A great opportunity to add deathmatchs too.

Talking about the thief I imagine a Lure spec for him someday, like play with clones but not as the mesmer.

TrevZach.3807

The fourth Elite Specialization I’d like to introduce in what they should do for a Canthan expansion is the Peacekeeper:

Elite Specialization: The Peacekeeper

Once, the warriors of Cantha sought glory, readily charging into battle to bring honor to themselves and their family lines. Now, they have defected from the Empire of the Dragon, and live in solitude, perfecting their arts so they can devote themselves to protecting others, and restoring order to a broken land. The Peacekeeper elite specialization allows Warriors to wield a Staff and utilize Mantras. Their burst skill is Silent Meditation, where for a time, determined by the amount of adrenaline they have, they become invulnerable and apply boons and minor healing to themselves and allies. During this time they cannot complete any actions. They rejoin the battle when Silent Meditation ends.

TrevZach.3807

The fifth Elite Specialization I’d like to introduce in what they should do for a Canthan expansion is the Shadow Knight:

Elite Specialization: The Shadow Knight

Shadow Knights are Canthan thieves who have stepped out of the dark to battle as frontline fighters, bringing their highly trained skills in the shadow arts to trick their enemies while applying heavy damage to them. The Shadow Knight Elite Specialization gives the Thief a Great Sword, access to Phantasms, and the special skill “Mark of Shadows”. Great Swords give the Shadow Knight the ability to deal large amounts of damage. Their Phantasms range from ones that heal allies when they attack, to a Phantasm that inflicts slow and other conditions on enemies. The Shadow Knight’s “Mark of Shadow” special skill allows them to mark an enemy. Later, they can activate the mark, making them and all of their Phantasms shadow step to that enemy, the Phantasms shattering and dealing AOE damage upon arrival.

TrevZach.3807

A Final Word On The New Race Idea

Before I continue introducing the elite specs, I’d like to review the new race idea I posted earlier: the Tengu. The Tengu have always been an important race, even if they so far have chosen to keep hidden their city. They are perfect candidates for a race, and meet all the qualifications. It almost seems as if ANet is waiting. Waiting for the right time to make them into the next playable race. I’ve never thought ANet should make a new class or race for each expansion, the races would seem boring, and the classes wouldn’t be unique. I think the Tengu should be added for the same reason they added the Revenant in Heart of Thorns: it’s the missing part. Revenants were the class that was missing, and needed to be put in to balance the classes: three for each type. Tengu are the race that’s missing, with a Capital City and a big story to tell as well.

Tengu: The Tengu are a race of avian humanoids who make their home in the Dominion of Winds, along the Tarnished Coast. They are highly protective of their culture, and have only recently opened their city to the other races of Tyria in hopes of making an alliance to go back to the exotic lands of Cantha.

Starting Zone: Shing Jea Island (Instanced)

Racial Capital: The Dominion of Winds

Posted by: Sev.2351

Sev.2351

I mean if they want to stay away from a heavy eastern culture then make it so. Make the dragon tear Cantha up like no tomorrow, make it so Tyria must come to Cantha to kill the deep sea dragon. Hopefully then the Emperor will let in all races and reconstruction can begin allowing all different cultures of Tyria on that island. But keep the areas the same and reintroduce lore from the past so we can experience it again.

I can see how the deep sea dragon may be enticed to go to the jade sea, maybe it can harness some power from it allowing it to not just be bound to the sea but also land?

Guild wars 2 has been from the start a cooperative game. They dont want people picking and choosing sides like we did with Luxon and Kurzik. But maybe we can have both luxon and kurzik at peace and each player can devote some story time to whichever you choose, and it wont affect guilds or anything.

I dont really thing a tengu as a playable race will be a great idea. The armor we have in game just seems like it wouldnt mesh well with tengu in any way what so ever. In fact most tengu wear almost nothing except pants and some harnesses.

I mean we all need to understand its not going to be the 3rd expansion. They clearly are going to complete the map we currently have. We still must go north to the far shiverpeaks and to the blood legion homelands The entire Far East sector of the map is nothing as of right now as is the North.

Posted by: Thornwolf.9721

Thornwolf.9721

Give us Cantha!!
And give us TENGU!!! Another beast race to even out the score.

Posted by: Kestrel.7890

Kestrel.7890

I can’t wait for Cantha again! I have to go back to GW1 to experience it at the moment.

Posted by: Zilong.1407

Zilong.1407

I mean if they want to stay away from a heavy eastern culture then make it so. Make the dragon tear Cantha up like no tomorrow, make it so Tyria must come to Cantha to kill the deep sea dragon. Hopefully then the Emperor will let in all races and reconstruction can begin allowing all different cultures of Tyria on that island. But keep the areas the same and reintroduce lore from the past so we can experience it again.

Why would they stay away from eastern culture? That was basically the reason I bought Factions and am still interested in a Cantha expansion.

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

I dont really thing a tengu as a playable race will be a great idea. The armor we have in game just seems like it wouldnt mesh well with tengu in any way what so ever. In fact most tengu wear almost nothing except pants and some harnesses.

It would bear about as much in common with human equivalent sets as, say, charr armor. I don’t see any compelling reason not to put them in, it would just be some work to make armor skins for them.

TrevZach.3807

The sixth Elite Specialization I’d like to introduce in what they should do for a Canthan expansion is the Zealot:

Elite Specialization: The Zealot

Zealots are the descendants of the Ministry of Purity who have dedicated themselves to cleansing the corrupted lands of Cantha. The Zealot Elite Specialization gives the Guardian an off-hand Sword, Wells, and Purifications to replace Virtues. Off-hand Swords allow Guardians to duel-wield Swords and deal increased damage to enemies. Wells placed by the Zealot create AoE pulses of burning, along with other boons, conditions, and effects. The Zealot’s Purifications allow them to place symbols that periodically make an effect (for example, Purification of Justice will place a symbol that periodically burns foes.

TrevZach.3807

The seventh Elite Specialization I’d like to introduce in what they should do for a Canthan expansion is the Bounty Hunter:

Elite Specialization: The Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunters are rangers who wonder the ruined lands of Cantha, hunting criminals in exchange for the Empire of the Dragon’s wealth. The Bounty Hunter Elite Specialization gives the Ranger duel Pistols, and Tricks. Duel Pistols allow Rangers to deal fast ranged damage and inflict conditions like cripple and bleeding. Tricks allow them to more easily hunt and capture their foes, and do anything from immobilizing and blinding them, to crippling them and inflicting poisons.

TrevZach.3807

The eighth Elite Specialization I’d like to introduce in what they should do for a Canthan expansion is the Phase Shifter:

Elite Specialization: The Phase Shifter

Phase Shifters are Canthan elementalists who have learned to use and manipulate the powers of the last remaining essence of Shiro Tagachi’s Jade Wind. The Phase Shifter Elite Specialization gives the Elementalist a Hammer, Wells, and Phase Shifting. Hammers allow Elementalists to interrupt foes and deal heavy elemental AoE damage. Phase Shifters can also use their wells to cause AoE pulses of elemental damage before emitting a final pulse that gives enemies some sort of movement impairing condition along with boons for allies. An example is the Well of Jade, which pulses cold damage, and at the end turns foes to Jade and gives them the chill effect, along with giving allies protection. Finally, Phase Shifters also get a new mechanic: Phase-Shifting. As they fight, they gain Jade Wind Essence, and when they build up enough, they can Phase-Shift the element they are attuned to for a short time. For example, when they built up enough Jade Wind Essence, and they were attuned to Earth, they could phase shift it to Nature for a short time to give their weapon Nature specific powers. If they were attuned to Water they could phase shift it to Jade, Fire to Ash, and Air to Wind.