The Holy Trinity... is missed.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Turgut.4397

Turgut.4397

I missed having structure. I know GW1 wasn’t tank and spank, since the aggro system was as confusing as this game, but having a monk/rit taking care of a team, I will miss. It wasn’t exactly a trinity either.

Every class in gw2 can be anything from dps to support, which apparently gives every class some ‘purpose.’ However all people want are mesmers/warriors. Yet people complain about the trinity only focusing one certain classes/roles. I can tell you I haven’t been enjoying Time Warp Hundred Blade Wars 2.

I was hoping for Guardians to be more like a battle cleric/priest, either going tanky or dedicated healer. But hey, apparently healing 5% of your groups HP every half hour while normal dungeon mobs whack off 50% of it in 2 hits is perfectly fine.

Still waiting for the things I love about GW1.

Posted by: Sylentir.8913

Sylentir.8913

There isn’t a definition for it as in standard dictionary definition. However, every other discussion I’ve seen arise regarding a trinity treats it as meaning “A three part division of party members that is mandatory to progress in group content.”

You won’t find a dictionary definition like that, just like you won’t find a dictionary definition for zerging, ganking, or griefing. They are part of gaming culture, they have established definitions, they just don’t have official, written down ones. Their definitions aren’t any less valid for that, since everyone who uses the term knows exactly what they mean. If you redefine a zerg to mean “a group of 5 people or more” instead of a massive horde, you’ll confuse a lot of people.

Talia Gallowglass [Few] ~ Sylvari Engineer Main
Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

SNIP

Um, you keep saying that a trinity is what’s optimal or what’s most used. This is false. A trinity (When used in gaming conversations) is specifically the Tank/Heal/DPS setup that is necessary to succeed in other games. You can run 5DPS, 4DPS/anchor, 3DPS/anchor/support, or any wild party composition you want, and still finish content. There is no trinity because it isn’t required to have the tank/heal/dps elements to finish content. Emulating the trinity may be possible, but it isn’t mandatory.

You are correct in how I am using the term. I am not using it to indicate ‘mandatory’, simply optimal and most desired. GW2 does have a trinity in terms of what is most sought out and most used.

Except that’s not what a trinity means. In every other context, a trinity is used to refer to a mandatory setup. You can say that you “define it differently”, but then I could just say pink bunny tree grass and say that with my definitions, it’s a valid sentence.

I learned in my first philosophy class in college that it was fine to use a word differently, or even invent a word, as long as you gave it a definition. I am using the term trinity to mean actually having a trinity as opposed to a game that designs in and mandates a trinity.

My God that’s asinine. This isn’t freshmen philosophy, it’s a discussion, which means you use the definition of the term that’s actually correct.

Great! Please give me the correct definition and source.

Sylentir has been spelling it out slowly for you for a while now, read up. Source? Common sense from general gaming knowledge.

You must be new, to life and gaming.

You’re welcome.

So, you are saying you don’t have a source. Got it.

I get it, alright? You’re new to gaming, you said something that didn’t make sense, something anybody with any knowledge of MMOs knows, and it made you look like.. Exactly what you are.

There’s no shame in it, everybody started somewhere, you can’t be expected to know general terms that come with MMO gaming. You can stop trying to make it into a philosophical conversation.

Part of growing up means being able to admit when you’re wrong, you’ll learn that too some day.

Right. Because you are not able to give a source for your claim, I am wrong and need to grow up. Got it.

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

facepalm

Dude… he has given you the source. most people in this thread and most likely in games that do have a trinity. it is what the term has evolved to mean. grow up, please

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Raine.1394

There isn’t a definition for it as in standard dictionary definition. However, every other discussion I’ve seen arise regarding a trinity treats it as meaning “A three part division of party members that is mandatory to progress in group content.”

You won’t find a dictionary definition like that, just like you won’t find a dictionary definition for zerging, ganking, or griefing. They are part of gaming culture, they have established definitions, they just don’t have official, written down ones. Their definitions aren’t any less valid for that, since everyone who uses the term knows exactly what they mean. If you redefine a zerg to mean “a group of 5 people or more” instead of a massive horde, you’ll confuse a lot of people.

Very good! There isn’t a dictionary definition for what we are talking about. All the more reason to closely define what we are talking about, eh?

Raine.1394

facepalm

Dude… he has given you the source. most people in this thread and most likely in games that do have a trinity. it is what the term has evolved to mean. grow up, please

Can you give me a source for that? Oh wait, you can’t…

Sylentir.8913

Right. Because you are not able to give a source for your claim, I am wrong and need to grow up. Got it.

There isn’t a source. It’s not an academic term, its a convention used exclusively by a small subset of people. Despite that, it has as valid a definition as any other word. Its meaning is regularly accepted and understood.

The fact that you have to re-define it to use it in the way you want means that it had a different definition originally, and that you are deviating from it.

Ferguson’s Crossing

Sylentir.8913

Very good! There isn’t a dictionary definition for what we are talking about. All the more reason to closely define what we are talking about, eh?

There already is a definition. You may not agree with it, but there is an agreed upon meaning to the word “trinity” within the GW2 community.

Ferguson’s Crossing

Raine.1394

There already is a definition. You may not agree with it, but there is an agreed upon meaning to the word “trinity” within the GW2 community.

Great, can you give me the source document that defines the term ‘trinity’ within the GW2 community. Whew, looking forward to this!

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

Great, can you give me the source document that defines the term ‘trinity’ within the GW2 community. Whew, looking forward to this!

you’ve been ignoring it for a few pages now

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

@Colesy, could it possibly be because hundred blades comes back in a few seconds and can be repeated over and over, also coupled with swapping weapons during its down time to increase the overall damage from a player?

300k HP is like 20% of Lupicus’ HP. Most bosses don’t have 1.5 million HP, so warriors aren’t going to be able to repeatedly get their rotation off. You’re ignoring the fact that fiery rush has a low cooldown and can be repeated too. Lightning hammer deals about 6k/6k/10k in its auto chain too (plus a damage boost at below 33% HP so your damage will spike up about 2k more), which destroys warrior DPS again.

Not to mention that the kind of damage you’re listing from fiery rush comes from an enemy positioning.

Cast fiery rush, teleport to your current position and then you stay where you are. Positioning doesn’t matter, you still deal a ton of damage. Check out rT’s Lupicus kill, he isn’t pushed against a wall but fiery rush takes him down in to his second phase fast.

You can’t simply say one is better than the other because you’re choosing to leave out all associated facts. The fact that one has a lengthy recast, requires positioning that’s not always available, and you’re unable to swap weapons to increase your dps via any other means.

Doesn’t require positioning, weapon swappng is irrelevant and its cooldown isn’t that long.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Raine.1394

you’ve been ignoring it for a few pages now

Uh, all you need to do is link it man. Where is the definition?

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

i dont want a trinety be the normal means or any means that picky hold a spec in some way. but a trinety as in support, control and damage would be great tho all specs and classes should to some degree be able to do all 3 things in some way and be rewared for it and not drag the groupe down for be more support orintated or control orrintated,

combat in gw2 is great tho the encounters is just not that great atleast not yet.
same goes with WvW where the zerg gets to much power compared to alot of small groupes, tho there is a huge balance issue makeing that possible and that is not what is debated here

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

(edited by Korsbaek.9803)

Posted by: Araris.7839

Araris.7839

Alright guys, he’s obviously got a lot of growing up to do. What he’s doing is the equivent of holding his hands over his ears and yelling. It doesn’t matter how many people tell him that he’s wrong, he can’t accept it because it makes him feel bad.

Not going to waste my time on some kid throwing a tantrum, suggest you don’t either.

Raine.1394

Alright guys, he’s obviously got a lot of growing up to do. What he’s doing is the equivent of holding his hands over his ears and yelling. It doesn’t matter how many people tell him that he’s wrong, he can’t accept it because it makes him feel bad.

Not going to waste my time on some kid throwing a tantrum, suggest you don’t either.

Dismissing me as needing to grow up while not engaging with my argument is the very definition of the ad hominem. Ad hominem’s are generally resorted to when you run out of intellectual gas or never had any to begin with. Which one is it for you?

Sylentir.8913

Read threads in these forums, or honestly any other gaming forums. Many many many threads exist on the topic of a trinity, and this is the first I’ve seen that has an argument regarding the usage of the word.

Massively, a subset of the gaming news website Joystiq, uses the term in exactly the same way. Game journalists would likely be well-versed in the use of the word, right?

Google search “Gaming Class Trinity” (without the quotation marks) and you’ll find a number of articles, from a wide variety of sources. Some are academic in nature, some are journalistic, some are forums posts. However, they all seem to treat the trinity as the same thing.

Or, you could just look at this thread. In it, every person except you has the same preconceived notion of what a trinity means. Every person. Every single person.

The evidence is there. Don’t ignore it.

Ferguson’s Crossing

Araris.7839

@Colesy, could it possibly be because hundred blades comes back in a few seconds and can be repeated over and over, also coupled with swapping weapons during its down time to increase the overall damage from a player?

300k HP is like 20% of Lupicus’ HP. Most bosses don’t have 1.5 million HP, so warriors aren’t going to be able to repeatedly get their rotation off. You’re ignoring the fact that fiery rush has a low cooldown and can be repeated too. Lightning hammer deals about 6k/6k/10k in its auto chain too (plus a damage boost at below 33% HP so your damage will spike up about 2k more), which destroys warrior DPS again.

Not to mention that the kind of damage you’re listing from fiery rush comes from an enemy positioning.

Cast fiery rush, teleport to your current position and then you stay where you are. Positioning doesn’t matter, you still deal a ton of damage. Check out rT’s Lupicus kill, he isn’t pushed against a wall but fiery rush takes him down in to his second phase fast.

You can’t simply say one is better than the other because you’re choosing to leave out all associated facts. The fact that one has a lengthy recast, requires positioning that’s not always available, and you’re unable to swap weapons to increase your dps via any other means.

Doesn’t require positioning, weapon swappng is irrelevant and its cooldown isn’t that long.

You literally just described the positioning it requires when you listed the teleport skill, which is on a 40 second recast. Weapon swapping is relevant because it contributes to the overall dps the warrior is putting out, since they’re not just waiting on HB.

180 seconds isn’t that long? You’re also talking about a very specific set up to be able to do the lightning hammer damage your listing.

If you’re just comparing warrior to Ele damage in general, then sure, eles might put out more, I’m merely talking about the specific abilitys to compared. Rush vs HB.

Sylentir.8913

Dismissing me as needing to grow up while not engaging with my argument is the very definition of the ad hominem. Ad hominem’s are generally resorted to when you run out of intellectual gas or never had any to begin with. Which one is it for you?

I’ll be perfectly fair, neither of you are looking terribly wonderful at the moment. I disagree with the ad hominem attack, but you kinda justify it by refuting what every other person in the thread is talking about.

Ferguson’s Crossing

Raine.1394

Read threads in these forums, or honestly any other gaming forums. Many many many threads exist on the topic of a trinity, and this is the first I’ve seen that has an argument regarding the usage of the word.

Massively, a subset of the gaming news website Joystiq, uses the term in exactly the same way. Game journalists would likely be well-versed in the use of the word, right?

Google search “Gaming Class Trinity” (without the quotation marks) and you’ll find a number of articles, from a wide variety of sources. Some are academic in nature, some are journalistic, some are forums posts. However, they all seem to treat the trinity as the same thing.

Or, you could just look at this thread. In it, every person except you has the same preconceived notion of what a trinity means. Every person. Every single person.

The evidence is there. Don’t ignore it.

Not ignoring it. The trinity is generally used to describe tank/dps/healer. Got it. In GW2, there is a meta that is described by anchor/dps/support. That is a fact, not my conjecture. It is a trinity in terms of its three-ness. That’s all I’m saying.

Raine.1394

I’ll be perfectly fair, neither of you are looking terribly wonderful at the moment. I disagree with the ad hominem attack, but you kinda justify it by refuting what every other person in the thread is talking about.

Not helpful. Please demonstrate where I am right or wrong. Your fairness is a wonderful attempt, but please move to the issues discussed. If I am wrong, please demonstrate where I am wrong.

Sylentir.8913

Not ignoring it. The trinity is generally used to describe tank/dps/healer. Got it. In GW2, there is a meta that is described by anchor/dps/support. That is a fact, not my conjecture. It is a trinity in terms of its three-ness. That’s all I’m saying.

There’s a critical difference in those. The trinity is always used to refer to something established by the game and mandatory to use. That’s why GW2 and Everquest Next explicitly stated that they were doing away with the trinity, and it’s why in an interview, a Wildstar Developer stated that they wanted to use variations on the trinity rather than dismiss it. When you say trinity, people hear “Mandatory tank/healer/dps setup.”

Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted by: Lonesamurai.4852

Lonesamurai.4852

It’s really not missed at all

RIP Holy Trinity!

Owner and GW2 DJ, Sanitarium.FM
Guild Leader – Wolf Pack Samurai
Owner and admin, The Guild-Hall2.net

colesy.8490

You literally just described the positioning it requires when you listed the teleport skill, which is on a 40 second recast. Weapon swapping is relevant because it contributes to the overall dps the warrior is putting out, since they’re not just waiting on HB.

After casting fiery rush, the ele could probably fall asleep and by the end of the fight they’d have out-DPS’d everyone else in the party. Of course they don’t, they keep hitting. I don’t think it’s quite sunk in to your head how much 300k damage is. That’s practically five hundred blades on a fully buffed warrior and fully debuffed boss.

180 seconds isn’t that long? You’re also talking about a very specific set up to be able to do the lightning hammer damage your listing.

How does the recast even matter when the boss dies before it expires? And no, it pretty much takes running traits with every single DPS modifier possible, Nike’s got a youtube video on the elementalist builds DnT uses.

If you’re just comparing warrior to Ele damage in general, then sure, eles might put out more, I’m merely talking about the specific abilitys to compared. Rush vs HB.

Not “might”, they do.

Like I said, you’re out of your depth. You think warriors are kings of DPS and that experienced groups still run anchor guardian and that war/guard/mes is the dungeon meta.

Sylentir.8913

Not helpful. Please demonstrate where I am right or wrong. Your fairness is a wonderful attempt, but please move to the issues discussed. If I am wrong, please demonstrate where I am wrong.

You are disagreeing with every other person in this thread. Everyone else came here with a very specific idea of what a trinity is, and no one else except you believes GW2 has a trinity. While I would rather refrain from putting it in the terms used by Araris, his assessment is accurate. You either are being stubborn for stubborn’s sake, or you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Ferguson’s Crossing

Raine.1394

There’s a critical difference in those. The trinity is always used to refer to something established by the game and mandatory to use. That’s why GW2 and Everquest Next explicitly stated that they were doing away with the trinity, and it’s why in an interview, a Wildstar Developer stated that they wanted to use variations on the trinity rather than dismiss it. When you say trinity, people hear “Mandatory tank/healer/dps setup.”

There is no critical difference. They both describe a three-ness. And, I admit, there is no game-inforced mandate for a trinity in GW2. There is simply one that has emerged as the most efficient team composition at high levels of play. That is literally all that I am saying.

Raine.1394

After casting fiery rush, the ele could probably fall asleep and by the end of the fight they’d have out-DPS’d everyone else in the party. Of course they don’t, they keep hitting. I don’t think it’s quite sunk in to your head how much 300k damage is. That’s practically five hundred blades on a fully buffed warrior and fully debuffed boss.

How does the recast even matter when the boss dies before it expires? And no, it pretty much takes running traits with every single DPS modifier possible, Nike’s got a youtube video on the elementalist builds DnT uses.

Not “might”, they do.

Like I said, you’re out of your depth. You think warriors are kings of DPS and that experienced groups still run anchor guardian and that war/guard/mes is the dungeon meta.

Wait a minute. You suggested that I am out of my depth originally, not this poster. I, of course, demonstrated that you were out of your depth, which wasn’t that difficult. But, who, exactly, are you suggesting is out of their depth?

Sylentir.8913

There is no critical difference. They both describe a three-ness. And, I admit, there is no game-inforced mandate for a trinity in GW2. There is simply one that has emerged as the most efficient team composition at high levels of play. That is literally all that I am saying.

No. Your definition describes a three-ness. The community-accepted definition describes a game-constructed and mandatory party combination of three parts. Three-ness is a component in both, but the community’s definition contains more where yours doesn’t.

Ferguson’s Crossing

Araris.7839

Not “might”, they do.

You never told me I was out of my depth that was some other guy. Pay attention! :P I know warriors aren’t the king of dps, I personally prefer my Mesmer.

Anyway, since we don’t have a parser, and since you’re convinced you’re correct, it’s really a moot point. I agree, it’s a lot damage, but I think there are factors you’re not considering.

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

what I would like to see:

• each profession can support equally effective
  • support is actually needed and doesn’t slow you down

…and support shouldn’t mean giving more dps to your team. It should stand for avoiding damage and/or provide healing. I wouldn’t like Guardians being the new Monks. Guardians should only have a bigger variety of being able to support, not a “better” way to heal allies, imho.

A support build isn’t viable if other professions can do the same thing much much better.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

(edited by Marcus Greythorne.6843)

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

The trinity is a term that goes back to at least 1999 and possibly earlier. It meant that certain classes were required to do certain content and there was no way around it. In this game everyone is on equal ground and player skill becomes more of a factor then character class and abilities so certain classes aren`t required because everyone can fill any role if played skillfully. Just because some people adopted a certain setup that consists of three roles does not make it THE trinity because it isn`t specifically needed and can be done with other classes in different shapes and forms to reach the same outcome.

Raine.1394

You are disagreeing with every other person in this thread. Everyone else came here with a very specific idea of what a trinity is, and no one else except you believes GW2 has a trinity. While I would rather refrain from putting it in the terms used by Araris, his assessment is accurate. You either are being stubborn for stubborn’s sake, or you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Why in the world would I want to agree with every other person in a thread on the forums of GW2? Seriously! You are arguing here from a demonstrable logical fallacy. I only want to be congruent with logic. So, if you intend to attack me, attack my arguments. Show me where they are illogical or fallacious. I doubt you’ll have much success, but feel free to go for it.

colesy.8490

It seems when people post things that are wrong I just lump them in a blob.

Wait a minute. You suggested that I am out of my depth originally, not this poster. I, of course, demonstrated that you were out of your depth, which wasn’t that difficult. But, who, exactly, are you suggesting is out of their depth?

Now that you ask, both of you.

And how am I out of my depth? Show me.

Anyway, since we don’t have a parser, and since you’re convinced you’re correct, it’s really a moot point. I agree, it’s a lot damage, but I think there are factors you’re not considering

Make a thread in the dungeon forum asking whether conjured elementalist or warrior DPS is better if you don’t believe me. If you don’t, then just concede to being wrong.

Raine.1394

Anyway, since we don’t have a parser, and since you’re convinced you’re correct, it’s really a moot point. I agree, it’s a lot damage, but I think there are factors you’re not considering

Make a thread in the dungeon forum asking whether conjured elementalist or warrior DPS is better if you don’t believe me. If you don’t, then just concede to being wrong.

Already did show you, well your argument, was wrong. But, you would need to read the thread in order to know that. And, I don’t think you have done that, have you? My argument was never about which profession had the highest DPS, rather, it was about which grouping was most sought out in terms of the current dungeon meta. The answer is obvious to anyone currently doing dungeons.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Sylentir.8913

Why in the world would I want to agree with every other person in a thread on the forums of GW2? Seriously! You are arguing here from a demonstrable logical fallacy. I only want to be congruent with logic. So, if you intend to attack me, attack my arguments. Show me where they are illogical or fallacious. I doubt you’ll have much success, but feel free to go for it.

I think that when it comes to terms used in a particular manner by the entirety of a community, and when in discussion with that community, then yes, you should agree with them. I wouldn’t go into a church and define trinity to be a roleplaying party structure, I wouldn’t go to an academic setting and use trinity to refer to a roleplaying party structure, but when I’m talking about a game, I’m kitten well going to use trinity to refer to a roleplaying party structure.

You don’t go to a kennel and define “dog” to mean your buddy that you refer to with slang. If someone at a bar is “getting a drink”, chances are it isn’t water. Definitions are contextually sensitive, and the gaming community has a very specific definition of trinity.

Ferguson’s Crossing

Araris.7839

Sigh… You’re the type of person that’s so convinced they’re right, they can’t even read correctly. I never said that Ele did not do more damage than the warrior. Where as I have said multiple times, that I’m talking about the specific abilitys in question.

You need to work on your communication skills bud. While you’re incredibly invested in this, I really don’t care lol. You want to be right? Sure, go ahead, you have no parser, no proof, a lot of speculation based on burst damage, when damage per second is all that matters.

Again, because I know you miss things, I am not agreeing or disagreeing with you, I’m merely pointing out that your argument is based on an equation that doesn’t factor in all details.

And since I’m off work now and have better things to do, I bid you good night! Argue with yourself for all I care lol, at least you’ll be able to tell yourself that you’re right.

colesy.8490

Already did show you, well your argument, was wrong. But, you would need to read the thread in order to know that. And, I don’t think you have done that, have you? My argument was never about which profession had the highest DPS, rather, it was about which grouping was most sought out in terms of the current dungeon meta. The answer is obvious to anyone currently doing dungeons.

Actually, what you said was:

Nope. What I already said. We have a trinity, i.e., three classes/roles that work much better than anything else works at high level play. The roles are specifically anchor (quasi-tank), DPS, and util/support. What that works out to in GW2 is guardian, warrior, and mesmer. And, again, if you play the game at a high level, you already know this.

Warrior, guardian, mesmer does not work better than anything else at high level play, and there are no anchors.

In essence, you have no idea what you’re talking about and probably haven’t ever run a dungeon with a competent group ever.

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

I do miss Tank/Healer/DPS/Support roles. A LOT.
I DO want to know if and when we wipe at Lupicus (just an example), who is to be blamed.
It might be me because I do not do enough damage. Good, I should change my gear/weapons/setup. I want to know what we are doing wrong.

I DO miss the feeling of being helpful in a team.
BECAUSE OF ME, my team is alive and finished X event/dungeon.
I was a HERO for my team not just a +100 damage to a zerg.

Now? Anybody can take my place and I would not be missed.

At the moment I have no idea who is doing what, wrong or right, in a Dungeon.
Wipe? Just rez/repair/quit without saying anything.

I guess all this “You can do everything” is just this kitten up new mentality from the “new continent” where EVERYONE is a CHAMPION and a WINNER.
Right…Not really

I know nothing will get changed and even if they would like to, it is too late.
For the moment, everyone just tags along for the zerg ride.

Just one more thing for those complaining that Trinity style games took 1-2 hours to search for a healer/tank/DPS:
1. Tried looking for a Guild? I guess not. Maybe friends?
2. You were known as a bad player? Maybe.
3. Have you played an almost empty MMO or was single player? Most likely.

Those who do not like roles, either never played such games or, more likely, were not good at their designated role.

All the best.

Raine.1394

I think that when it comes to terms used in a particular manner by the entirety of a community, and when in discussion with that community, then yes, you should agree with them. I wouldn’t go into a church and define trinity to be a roleplaying party structure, I wouldn’t go to an academic setting and use trinity to refer to a roleplaying party structure, but when I’m talking about a game, I’m kitten well going to use trinity to refer to a roleplaying party structure.

You don’t go to a kennel and define “dog” to mean your buddy that you refer to with slang. If someone at a bar is “getting a drink”, chances are it isn’t water. Definitions are contextually sensitive, and the gaming community has a very specific definition of trinity.

But, I’m part of the community and I use the term ‘trinity’ to mean ‘trinity’, that is, something that deals with three things. I clearly defined what I was referring to so that there would be no misunderstanding. And, while there can’t be misunderstanding, there is obviously dis-agreement.

Raine.1394

Actually, what you said was:

Nope. What I already said. We have a trinity, i.e., three classes/roles that work much better than anything else works at high level play. The roles are specifically anchor (quasi-tank), DPS, and util/support. What that works out to in GW2 is guardian, warrior, and mesmer. And, again, if you play the game at a high level, you already know this.

Warrior, guardian, mesmer does not work better than anything else at high level play, and there are no anchors.

In essence, you have no idea what you’re talking about and probably haven’t ever run a dungeon with a competent group ever.

Wrong. And everyone playing the game knows that this is wrong. A useful question for you would be: was there ever a time where this trinity did exist. If so, why did it exist, and what, specifically, changed in the game that made this trinity is no longer ‘true’. Good luck my friend.

colesy.8490

Sigh… You’re the type of person that’s so convinced they’re right, they can’t even read correctly. I never said that Ele did not do more damage than the warrior. Where as I have said multiple times, that I’m talking about the specific abilitys in question.

You need to work on your communication skills bud. While you’re incredibly invested in this, I really don’t care lol. You want to be right? Sure, go ahead, you have no parser, no proof, a lot of speculation based on burst damage, when damage per second is all that matters.

Again, because I know you miss things, I am not agreeing or disagreeing with you, I’m merely pointing out that your argument is based on an equation that doesn’t factor in all details.

And since I’m off work now and have better things to do, I bid you good night! Argue with yourself for all I care lol, at least you’ll be able to tell yourself that you’re right.

So you’re not going to ask in the dungeon forum? Too scared I’m right?

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

But, I’m part of the community and I use the term ‘trinity’ to mean ‘trinity’, that is, something that deals with three things. I clearly defined what I was referring to so that there would be no misunderstanding. And, while there can’t be misunderstanding, there is obviously dis-agreement.

Arguing for the sake of arguing is usually a tell tale sign of insecurity. There is also nothing in the dictionary about a player in GW2 with the user name of Raine.1394 being right on the GW2 forums so I guess that makes you wrong because its not defined anywhere in writing.

Now I hope you can see how silly your argument is, I will give you points for trolling though.

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

I definitely don’t miss the trinity.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

Raine.1394

Arguing for the sake of arguing is usually a tell tale sign of insecurity. There is also nothing in the dictionary about a player in GW2 with the user name of Raine.1394 being right on the GW2 forums so I guess that makes you wrong because its not defined anywhere in writing.

Now I hope you can see how silly your argument is, I will give you points for trolling though.

But, you would have to first demonstrate how silly my arguments are, right? Rather than just asserting it. Good luck, my friend!

colesy.8490

Wrong. And everyone playing the game knows that this is wrong. A useful question for you would be:

Sigh. Compare the old CoF world record with 4 war 1 mes to the current with 1 war 1 ranger 2 thief 1 mes. Compare DnT’s old Lupicus kill with Strife’s I think 3 war 1 guard 1 mes (like 40-something seconds) to rT’s latest (13.7 seconds) with I think 2 eles, 1 mes, 2 war. Like I said, 3 war, anchor guard and mes isn’t the most optimal class combination at all.

was there ever a time where this trinity did exist. If so, why did it exist, and what, specifically, changed in the game when this is no longer true.

Nothing changed, competent dungeoneers just accepted that lightning hammer elementalists were actually incredible, sword/warhorn rangers were a strong group DPS increase, engineers could maintain 25 stacks of vuln better than anything else, thieves had higher single target DPS than warriors, anchor guard specs weren’t needed (you just run full DPS spec with no AH or tank gear at all) and that the DPS increase from time warp by a mesmer isn’t actually that big a deal when you can just take another DPSer and get a quicker kill.

The fact of the matter is, the reason war/guard/mes was the meta is because we refused to accept anything else, not because the other classes were actually bad.

You’re doing exactly what we used to do, not accepting anything beyond those three classes, and all that does is compromise your efficiency.

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

But, you would have to first demonstrate how silly my arguments are, right? Rather than just asserting it. Good luck, my friend!

There is no need to demonstrate what you have already demonstrated.

Posted by: Nemara.1508

Nemara.1508

So you’re not going to ask in the dungeon forum? Too scared I’m right?

Lol, he’s actually arguing with himself!

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

While I don’t miss the trinity, I wish that CC would play a bigger role in PvE. The only best way to clear any content is with pure raw DPS which make most encounters pretty lame. How about bosses that aren’t immune to CC? or Fighting something other than a bunch of super inflated trash mobs?

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Raine.1394

Wrong. And everyone playing the game knows that this is wrong. A useful question for you would be:

Sigh. Compare the old CoF world record with 4 war 1 mes to the current with 1 war 1 ranger 2 thief 1 mes. Compare DnT’s old Lupicus kill with Strife’s I think 3 war 1 guard 1 mes (like 40-something seconds) to rT’s latest (13.7 seconds) with I think 2 eles, 1 mes, 2 war. Like I said, 3 war, anchor guard and mes isn’t the most optimal class combination at all.

was there ever a time where this trinity did exist. If so, why did it exist, and what, specifically, changed in the game when this is no longer true.

Nothing changed, competent dungeoneers just accepted that lightning hammer elementalists were actually incredible, sword/warhorn rangers were a strong group DPS increase, engineers could maintain 25 stacks of vuln better than anything else, thieves had higher single target DPS than warriors, anchor guard specs weren’t needed (you just run full DPS spec with no AH or tank gear at all) and that the DPS increase from time warp by a mesmer isn’t actually that big a deal when you can just take another DPSer and get a quicker kill.

The fact of the matter is, the reason war/guard/mes was the meta is because we refused to accept anything else, not because the other classes were actually bad.

You’re doing exactly what we used to do, not accepting anything beyond those three classes, and all that does is compromise your efficiency.

Sigh. COF does not describe playing the game at a high level. Perhaps this describes your problem with my statements. guardian/warrior/mesmer was not because we couldn’t except anything else, it was simply because it worked. Humans, well, most humans, noticed this. Nothing has changed that would make this different and so it remains true. Thank you, essentially, for admitting this.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Sylentir.8913

To be frank, I have no desire to further continue this discussion. I’ve collected information, given you sources, and have made appeals to both logic and authority (Don’t try to call logical fallacy on that one; you did the exact same). If this data does not convince you, then I doubt anything else I do will be terribly successful either. I’d like to end on a positive note, so here’s several sources of information after my reply to your last post.

That’s not the accepted definition. I suppose I mis-spoke regarding “the entire community.”

Whether you like it or not, agree with it or not, use it or not, there is a standard definition of trinity to be “a three-part party composition required to operate in group content.”
This and this are collections of articles from Massively using the term in this manner. Both extend for a number of pages.

Here’s several more articles by other sources, using the article in the same manner:

Here’s several other forums that use the term in the same manner:

Here’s some other posts in these forums using trinity in this manner:

Ferguson’s Crossing

Raine.1394

To be frank, I have no desire to further continue this discussion. I’ve collected information, given you sources, and have made appeals to both logic and authority (Don’t try to call logical fallacy on that one; you did the exact same). If this data does not convince you, then I doubt anything else I do will be terribly successful either. I’d like to end on a positive note, so here’s several sources of information after my reply to your last post.

That’s not the accepted definition. I suppose I mis-spoke regarding “the entire community.”

Whether you like it or not, agree with it or not, use it or not, there is a standard definition of trinity to be “a three-part party composition required to operate in group content.”
This and this are collections of articles from Massively using the term in this manner. Both extend for a number of pages.

Here’s several more articles by other sources, using the article in the same manner:

Here’s several other forums that use the term in the same manner:

Here’s some other posts in these forums using trinity in this manner:

I understand the definition of trinity in gaming. That would be obvious. I simply noted that we have a trinity in GW2 that is not the typically defined trinity. I defined what I was referring to explicitly.