The "Inspect Gear" Discussion.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Winfernal.9208

Winfernal.9208

So first off, for those who don’t know what it is.

“Inspecting gear” is a feature where you can check anyones gears in a UI. By right clicking or something else.

My view on this:

It would make it easier to check out someones gear if you’re curious. You wouldn’t have to link every piece.

But then again, It would also increase the level of “gear checking” for dungeons, etc. At that would pollute the community. “You must have x gear to enter this group”. Just like the “You have to be warrior to join this group”, only worse.

It would also make it easier to bash somone because of their gear.

These are the only things i can think about when it comes to this topic.

So, i ask you.

Should it be implented? Or not? Give us your opinion!

“Kharomir” – Human Guardian
[DW] Dynasty Warriors, [TNA] The Northern Assembly
http://www.farshiverpeaks.com

(edited by Winfernal.9208)

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

This should not be implemented as it will result in “elitist” behaviour with any sort of group activity and encourage discrimination against sections of the community who do not have the “expected” setup.

As an example someone might want to speed run dungeons, and have it in their mind that only people setup for DPS can do speed runs efficiently so will start inspecting anyone who wants to join the party to see if they have a class cannon build or not, and remove anyone who does not.

Also, how far do you take a system like this, just armour, jewels, weapons, what about traits and skills? Implementing a partial inspect system will result in some vocal members wanting more information from the inspection.

Guild Wars 2 is about, using ArenaNet’s own mantra, playing the game the way you want, this include armour setup, weapons, jewels, traits and skills. Allowing an inspection tool would ultimately result in a reduction of variety in player builds as people will standardise their builds to what groups expect them to have.

Winfernal.9208

This should not be implemented as it will result in “elitist” behaviour with any sort of group activity and encourage discrimination against sections of the community who do not have the “expected” setup.

As an example someone might want to speed run dungeons, and have it in their mind that only people setup for DPS can do speed runs efficiently so will start inspecting anyone who wants to join the party to see if they have a class cannon build or not, and remove anyone who does not.

Also, how far do you take a system like this, just armour, jewels, weapons, what about traits and skills? Implementing a partial inspect system will result in some vocal members wanting more information from the inspection.

Guild Wars 2 is about, using ArenaNet’s own mantra, playing the game the way you want, this include armour setup, weapons, jewels, traits and skills. Allowing an inspection tool would ultimately result in a reduction of variety in player builds as people will standardise their builds to what groups expect them to have.

I feel the same thing as you.

To be mentioned, i wanted a discussion on this topic. I don’t want it implented myself!
Lets get some pros and cons here.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Agree and upvoted!

Plus it leaves room open for conversation starters with other players, asking them what weapon they have or helm they are wearing, etc.

I’ve thought about maybe an armory of sorts that only shows your toon, it’s level and acheivements – what do you guys think about that?

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I don’t want it because it leads to a lot more negative consequences than positive ones.
Examples:
1) Many people hate certain setups such as glass cannon or tanky and will lock you out of their team if they see you with them.
2) Many people expect 10-20 AR for a lvl 10 fractal run.
3) People would be able to steal ideas and builds one might want to keep secret.
4) My gear stats, sigils, runes etc are none of your business, and you’re nobody to check and dictate how I should play.
5) You can still politely ask a player to show his gear. What you ask for is spying, which is different.

But seeing how Anet is moving toward traditional MMO mechanics these days I wouldn’t lose hope to see this one day if I were you OP.
We got tredmills, fetch quests and soon rated team arenas, so I’m really not sure Anet still cares for what we want or what they said they won’t do.

Posted by: Xinterp.5368

Xinterp.5368

I agree strongly with this post. STRONGLY.

Right now my engineer is pushing a Flamethrower Control Burst DPS build. My gear at 75 is hodge podge, but the way the player plays with the gear (in my case I can compete with a 75 Guardian DPS wise, and outlast them Survivability wise.) makes a HUGE difference. You could get someone who has all the BEST gear in the world and the GREATEST spec in the world, but in the long run, what if they are a friend playing at the Account Owners House just testing out a dungeon seeing if they want to purchase the game or not? They don’t KNOW HOW TO PLAY that class, when they should swap weapons, what weapons to use, what secondary skills to use, when to use their Elite Skill, when to use their F Skills, or even the correct way to avoid massive mob mechanics.

If I can avoid Massive Mob Attacks, AoE Mob Attacks, Use my heal skill correctly (F1 and #6 or R in my case), time Burst Attacks Correctly, add Debuffs to Mobs when they need more debuffs (Vulnerability stacks, Permanent Burn, Permanent Bleed if all done correctly), does this not make my party stronger because they are spending more time killing mobs rather than rezzing an ally?

TLDR: It should not be implemented. Player gear does not reflect skill. Player spec does not reflect player skill. Player skill reflects player skill.

Posted by: Mad.1932

Mad.1932

i see only good in it, for one if a group does not want a specefic build in group is it not better to ask them to leave at the start of the run instead of figuring out half way through that theyre setup is not working well in the group and just vote kicking them? second is someone running a MF suit and just bringing everyone down. In any given run its very easy to tell when the groups dps is just not cutting it, but pinpointing who it is when everyone seems to be using theyre abilitys correctly is much tougher. The faster the leech is dropped the faster a rep can be found and the run can be completed. Finally fractals and agony resist, again better to replace the guy who joined with none before the run starts then wasting everyones time.

Posted by: Rocklin.4106

Rocklin.4106

if everyone should be able to play the game the way he wants. Then everyone should have the right to open a dungeon group and picking only the best dps geared players for it, if thats the way HE wants to play this game.

beeing able to play the game the way you want, doesnt mean others have to take you into every dungeon with that attitude, because they can play it how and with whoever they want as well. If someone asks strictly for exotic geared glasscannons and you run a bunkerbuild and ask for an invite, you are nothing more than a liar, just go find another group that accepts you “the way you want to play”, anet has done nothing wrong there, everyone IS able to play the game he wants.

i have nothing against a gearcheck, id even wish for a dps meter, because the way I WANT to play, is always maximizing, optimizing and getting the best out of my character and my build, instead of purely theorycrafting in the forums with haters and whiners (ranger forum, who almost never even take the pet into “dmg calculations” … ).

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I am for one in favour of this.

It would help a lot in assisting in forming a likely competent party. No more hiding from the group that you’re leeching off them any more.

Posted by: CHOAM.7852

CHOAM.7852

if everyone should be able to play the game the way he wants. Then everyone should have the right to open a dungeon group and picking only the best dps geared players for it, if thats the way HE wants to play this game.

beeing able to play the game the way you want, doesnt mean others have to take you into every dungeon with that attitude, because they can play it how and with whoever they want as well. If someone asks strictly for exotic geared glasscannons and you run a bunkerbuild and ask for an invite, you are nothing more than a liar, just go find another group that accepts you “the way you want to play”, anet has done nothing wrong there, everyone IS able to play the game he wants.

This.

Posted by: Esya.3427

Esya.3427

It does not suit this game. This game is designed with the idea of brining the community closer together and not splitting it up. You can see this back with the removal of kill steals and node steals. Next to splitting up the community it would make it unable for a lot of players to play the way they want to. Because it would mostly, if not only, impact the PUG part of the game. Guilds would not even worry about it, atleast mine wouldn’t. So it would impact players who do not want to or cannot commit to a guild, but do want to do a dungeon run. Next to the requests for level and classes there will be requests for gear while they want that run to gear up. And it would become the new standard. For them it would be near impossible to create a group willing to run with them. We have seen that in the history of MMOs. Even though it is not needed, people would require it from you just because they can.

And to be honest, for this game gear is so unimportant. I always have to smile at those players who think that gear in this game is a big thing for being able to finish a dungeon succesfull. Speed runs are completed thanks to good execution, not thanks to having an exotic instead of a rare item equipped.

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

How about this, have a gear inspect that shows the name, skin, and preview options for the gear, but doesn’t show the stats…

Um….FIXD! Now lets implement it and move on.

Esya.3427

How about this, have a gear inspect that shows the name, skin, and preview options for the gear, but doesn’t show the stats…

Um….FIXD! Now lets implement it and move on.

That would actually be nice when I want to see where someone got an item from. I usually ask them, but they sometimes happen to be afk.

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

Yes, it should be implemented.

But it should also be optional, players who desire to do so should have the option to prevent others from inspecting their gear.

Anet make Rev great again.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Yes for inspecting the skin.

No for inspecting the stats.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Esya.3427

But it should also be optional, players who desire to do so should have the option to prevent others from inspecting their gear.

It wouldn’t make much of a difference, because you will still not be invited into a party when you hide your gear.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Gear No

Traits Yes. It makes it easier to share builds and to give other people advices.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: MrNobody.4357

MrNobody.4357

no, and i’d even like the numbers to be removed from the combat log and to replaced by onomatopoeic sound effects like “slash”, “kablab” ,“boom” ,“pew pew” and so on.

If some player really like numbers there is mathematics, or wow and its wonderful playerscore.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I think inspecting is good insofar only certain stats have to be shared. Health is a public stat anyways so what else is needed?

AR and MF are the only real stats that are relevant.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

kokiman.2364

no, and i’d even like the numbers to be removed from the combat log and to replaced by onomatopoeic sound effects like “slash”, “kablab” ,“boom” ,“pew pew” and so on.

If some player really like numbers there is mathematics, or wow and its wonderful playerscore.

The combatlog doesn’t display anything usefull at all, only your own damage.

GuildWars 2

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

I think the only stat worth showing publicly is AR. Everything else can remain hidden.

I’ve never asked someone to link their gear, nor will I ever do such a thing meself (unless in fractals to proof your AR).

EU Aurora Glade

Winfernal.9208

If some player really like numbers there is mathematics, .

Now that’s very black and white.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I am against inspect- it is no-one’s business what gear I choose to run with my build, it works for me and that is all that matters.
If you want to exclude me because of my build- I’m better off not playing with you.

I ask people about their gear if I like the look of it and have started many cool conversations that way or by people asking me about my gear.
Some have even made it to my friends list

I honestly see no pros in an inspect feature

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: SerMahad.4813

SerMahad.4813

It shouldn’t. I agree with the first posts, it’d lead to some insane elitist behaviour, you know it would happen. There would surely be still nice players thinking “uh, I don’t see the point of his stats but hey, it’s his character, I’m confident he knows how to play it” and if he actually doesn’t know how to play it… that’s hardly something you can understand from the stats alone.
Same would happen with visible traits. Some guy doesn’t agree with what you’re doing with your traitline? Boom, you’re kicked. Even if you’re maybe the best insert profession around and he just can’t realize it but he’s sure you’re worse than him just by looking at your traits. Ugh.

Agreed, you could only inspetc someone’s skins. Which on their own tell almost nothing about where they were got from and you’ll probably end up pming the dude anyway.
Or someone’s total MF and AR. Which could be actually useful. But only those 2 stats, please.

Summed up, NO inspect feature please.

My Mom Thinks I’m Special [MTIS] – Piken Square

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

YES!!! We need this! If you think we don’t then you are noob. If someone took his time to learn to play and wants EFFICIENCY in dungeon he should not suffer by playing with noobs.

kokiman.2364

YES!!! We need this! If you think we don’t then you are noob. If someone took his time to learn to play and wants EFFICIENCY in dungeon he should not suffer by playing with noobs.

If someone wants efficiency in dungeons he won’t play with pugs

GuildWars 2

Sovta.4719

If someone wants efficiency in dungeons he won’t play with pugs

True
But i don’t have my own dungeon runing group and can’t always find 4 more guys from guild that want to do same dungeon (my guild has aroung 30-50 online players prime time)

Sovta.4719

And if you are good i don’t see problem with gear inspection, if you are noob good players will kick you anyway from harder dungeons.

Winfernal.9208

And if you are good i don’t see problem with gear inspection, if you are noob good players will kick you anyway from harder dungeons.

What if i am on my first 80, and want gear from said dungeons. Should i forget it, or join other noobs maybe? Are they reserved for the el33t?

Heheh. There are many factors.

Sovta.4719

What if i am on my first 80, and want gear from said dungeons. Should i forget it, or join other noobs maybe? Are they reserved for the el33t?

Heheh. There are many factors.

Join others. That’s how i learned arah and some other dungeons, that is why i don’t want to join lvl 30 fotm with 25 AR and i know i can finish it, i don’t want to bring risk to good player, i don’t want them to carry me.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

People can’t tell if you are a noob by inspecting your gear- so it is not needed.

Also every single one of us was a noob at this game once- it takes 5 min of explanation to explain an encounter, no more noob.

Unfortunately not all the time in the world will cure the elitism that will come from such a feature.

Gunnar’s Hold

Sovta.4719

People can’t tell if you are a noob by inspecting your gear- so it is not needed.

Also every single one of us was a noob at this game once- it takes 5 min of explanation to explain an encounter, no more noob.

Unfortunately not all the time in the world will cure the elitism that will come from such a feature.

Yea, try explaining it in FotM. I mena if Arenanet wanted this game to be “played the way you want” they wouldn’t introduce ascended gear and agony! They made more elitism and they will eventually introduce gear check, i’m just asking for it sooner then later.

Posted by: Brangien.7462

Brangien.7462

I am in favor an inspect option.

It gives me the opportunity to properly inspect the players coming in.

If I am doing a quick runs or arah, and a guy wants to step in with magic find gear, it saves both me and him the trouble to boot him immediately.

In short, I’m not here to be elitist, but if a magic find person is trying to weasel in, it becomes my business because that means I have to play harder…the dungeon becomes longer, and higher chances to wipe…all to carry a leeching parasite, and the odds are I will never see him again. *No tnx. Not wasting your time, not wasting mine.

There are hundreds looking for groups. Why should me and the rest of my party get stuck with a greedy MF user. There are no secret builds out there, or magical gear setups that will make you a god.

Good things will come of inspect, and efficiency for completions in dungeons will improve.

In favor of inspect.

Sovta.4719

In short, I’m not here to be elitist, but if a magic find person is trying to weasel in, it becomes my business because that means I have to play harder…the dungeon becomes longer, and higher chances to wipe…all to carry a leeching parasite, and the odds are I will never see him again. *No tnx. Not wasting your time, not wasting mine.

This! Same as having little AR in FotM, i don’t see problem cause you will be kicked anyway, it just saves us time.

kokiman.2364

Why not just adding a small visual effect on MF gear? Like money dropping out of the pockets.

GuildWars 2

Rocklin.4106

I am against inspect- it is no-one’s business what gear I choose to run with my build, it works for me and that is all that matters.

there exactly is your problem, that attitude is a complete fail and i would not hesitate not inviting or even kicking you from a dungeon group because of it. When you do Group content, you and your build have to work for/with the group, and not for you.

EVERYONE should be able to play the way they want? Yet most of you dont agree when others want to do speedruns, be elitist, or just like numbers, because thats not the playstyle YOU want them to play?

Rocklin.4106

Why not just adding a small visual effect on MF gear? Like money dropping out of the pockets.

i would never, ever put my mf gear away again!

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

5) You can still politely ask a player to show his gear. What you ask for is spying, which is different.

About this… nothing prevents other players to “link” some other gear instead of the one they are actually using. Even if asked politely players can simply link another set they keep (with same appearance) or even use one of the websites with in-game links that exist out there. So maybe a full inspection is spying but what we have now is lying (even when asked politely)

Still, there is no need for equipment inspection, other than showing somewhere the AR level when you enter Fractals, it’s the only stat that is “required” to be public.

Maybe also the total of Magic Find too…

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Let’s do babysteps.

Inspect gives the following info:

Magic Find%, and Agony Resist.

Then we can expand or not from there.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

And what is wrong with it? Isn’t it the maximum effectiveness that is expected? You may test some fancy builds in doing Open World PvE solo, but when you join a party, you are expected to actually help the group, by using a good build and good gear. And if you insist on using non optimal gear/build, you reduce the overall effectiveness of the whole party.

Why should anyone accept that?

True, until you join a party. And when you join a party, bad and awkward builds on par with poor equipment will do harm not to you, but to the remaining four party members, who will have to carry you through the dungeon.

tl;dr: ANet please implement gear inspect feature. Non-elitists, you will still be able to party with people like you, but you will no longer reduce the effectiveness of elitist runs with your casual builds.

Sovta.4719

Let’s do babysteps.

I can live with this.

maddoctor.2738

tl;dr: ANet please implement gear inspect feature. Non-elitists, you will still be able to party with people like you, but you will no longer reduce the effectiveness of elitist runs with your casual builds.

Elitists can ask other elitists to join their group, there your problem is solved.

“Looking for 2 more elitists for dungeon run”… we already have posts like this.

maddoctor.2738

Let’s do babysteps.

Start with Agony Resist only.

Magic Find % doesn’t even show up on character information screen for some reason… they want it hidden

kokiman.2364

Elitists can ask other elitists to join their group, there your problem is solved.

We already have that “no noobs pls!!”

GuildWars 2

Sovta.4719

And we all know how effective it is.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

There are no “pros” to implementing this. You divide the community by allowing an elitist mentality to poison the well. How I choose to gear and spec works well for me… your opinion of my gear and spec is irrelevant.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Winfernal.9208

And we all know how effective it is.

When i first came 80, i lied about experience in almost all my runs. And i did just fine, because i’m a good player, and i can do simple boss tactics like the ones in GW2. And my gear didn’t stop anyone!

I’m not a noob, even if my gear is.

Esya.3427

EVERYONE should be able to play the way they want? Yet most of you dont agree when others want to do speedruns, be elitist, or just like numbers, because thats not the playstyle YOU want them to play?

I agree you can go ahead organising speedruns and you can like numbers. I have seen plenty of requests in chat for a speed run and I skip those as I know it is not my cup of tea but I don’t go ahead telling them how wrong they are for doing it. And I fully understand you want people to bring some AR to certain levels of the fractals.

However, implementing a gear inspection has an impact on everyone in the game. Not just those wanting a speed run. What I have seen in previous MMOs that I played is that this group is benefiting from the inspection, while the others are left in the cold no longer being able to find a group. Because everyone will start to require certain things and that is simply because they can. Not because it is needed for what they want.

As it is you can still organise your speed runs, maybe not as efficiently as with an inspection, while others can still find parties.

Rocklin.4106

There are no “pros” to implementing this. You divide the community by allowing an elitist mentality to poison the well. How I choose to gear and spec works well for me… your opinion of my gear and spec is irrelevant … as long as i’m playing alone and not in a group.

i fixed that for you.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

There are no “pros” to implementing this. You divide the community by allowing an elitist mentality to poison the well. How I choose to gear and spec works well for me… your opinion of my gear and spec is irrelevant … as long as i’m playing alone and not in a group.

i thought i was being funny.

You didn’t do a very good job at it. I play a mesmer, and the way I choose to play my mesmer may not be cookie cutter, but I have a balanced blend of d/c/s that works well both in a solo or group setting. I never have problems completing Fractals or dungeons and have respectable WvW stats as well. I don’t need a spreadsheet to be effective.

#TeamJadeQuarry