The "Inspect Gear" Discussion.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: thisolderhead.5127

thisolderhead.5127

I’m stilll a firm believer in the fact I am pro enough that I can evaluate the performance of my party in real time – but I can see most are not. I apologise for suggesting that a tool to look at the gear of a player was not required in this task.

You want to “straighten them out and give them advice” and to this end allow others “see what high-level players use to help them along”… riiiiiiiiiiigggghhhht.

Most don’t sit and evaluate the performance of others unless there’s a lot of death or faffing about. I personally focus on what I’m doing and react to things. If I know ahead of time I may need to react and/or protect a certain player, it makes my job easier.

That is fine mate, some of us are quick enough on the uptake to do it as second nature “always on”, but players who can do this are not the norm (I forgot).

But apparently some people think this is a soft spot to exploit discrimination, or that others with control issues are thirsting to impose onto others. I’ve taken a lot of traditional sides with GW2 but this about tops the list of most ridiculous protests over a game feature.

While we are all blind in the manner we are it is harder for elitist tools, levels the playing field for MF/Gearing characters and forces the actions to rule, would you prefer replace that with a slippery slope to Gearscore?

I, for one, would greatly appreciate bad seeds showing their elitism so I will be left to group with people that aren’t shallow, arrogant control freaks with cases of superiority complex.

And the best way to pick them out of a crowd is see who wants to be able to inspect/link builds and gear – EVERY reason to have this will be below kitten and discrimination.

I am a better player than a big chunk of the player base, geared out well, and an abrasive bloke who can hold his own online – I am suggesting the downsides outweigh the benefits entirely from a neutral view, but hey – some of you like being kicked out of parties immediately after getting to the group.

Feeling bad due to my response does not mean it was a personal attack.
It may just be that your original statement was wrong.
Please try again.

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

“P1 FARM ACCEPTING ALL PLAYERS. WHISPER ME AND LINK YOUR GEAR. DOESNT NEED TO BE ALL EXOTIC OR ANYTHING JUST NOT WHITE/BLUE”

Currently posted on GW2LFG for a CoF run (Cap’s in original). Yeah…

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

Posted by: Beeca.9467

Beeca.9467

I say no we dont need it and i run 2 toons full exotic gear and the other 2 about 1/2 rare and exotic but full exotic weapons.

You can tell alot about how a person plays and dies you just know.

I dont run MF ever dont need it or want it .

80-Ranger/80-Necro/80-Warrior/
80-Guardian /80- Mesmer

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

I don’t like the idea due to the fact that sometimes I experiment with whacky builds…sometimes they are successful, and I do not want anyone to find out, because if they know the build, they know the counters :P

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Although it would be nice to be able to share my build/gear with friends via UI I think the cons far outweigh the pros. There is already enough elitism going on without adding another tool to encourage it. Try finding a group for CoF if you are not a Zerker Warrior or Mesmer. I also wouldn’t want everybody to be able to spy my builds, especially my PvP/WvW builds.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

Those who resist change are doomed to be left behind.

[hypothetical] What happens when Anet releases in-game voice chat? Are we gunna say ‘no thanks’ because elitists will be able to use voice chat to make fun of me or call out my mistakes more often?

Elitists are a small, but LOUD minority who prefer the company of each other. If you guys could grow a pair and stop playing the victim, you’d realize you’re the majority and there are plenty of like-minded people you can group with.

The more options you have the more immersive the game becomes. Part of WoW’s success can be attributed to community built add-ons, which allowed the game to evolve separate from the devs and meet the needs of different niches in the community.

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

There are times when I wouldn’t mind having it to check out the “build” someone is running or if someone is leeching with rare MF gear. Then again, I can totally understand the hate it would get from people who don’t particularly want that level of “elitism” in the game.

In the end, I’d have to vote no on it.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Yes for seeing the skin.

No for seeing anything stat related.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

If people are in a situation where they really do want a particular group setup, they can ask people to ping their gear. It’s enough.

Posted by: declan.3968

declan.3968

I just want a tooltip for how much AR a person has equipped.

Posted by: Gestankfaust.4216

Gestankfaust.4216

Those who resist change are doomed to be left behind.

[hypothetical] What happens when Anet releases in-game voice chat? Are we gunna say ‘no thanks’ because elitists will be able to use voice chat to make fun of me or call out my mistakes more often?

Elitists are a small, but LOUD minority who prefer the company of each other. If you guys could grow a pair and stop playing the victim, you’d realize you’re the majority and there are plenty of like-minded people you can group with.

The more options you have the more immersive the game becomes. Part of WoW’s success can be attributed to community built add-ons, which allowed the game to evolve separate from the devs and meet the needs of different niches in the community.

So….is this for or against it?

Change isn’t adding spec. It’s been around for years. Also not an “option” and would never make anything more “immersive”

You are right about the elitists that want this though.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I just want a tooltip for how much AR a person has equipped.

That I can deal with

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Gestankfaust.4216

You just don’t have enough of a downside to warrant it….period!

No one is having such a hard time that they need to see what everyone is wearing. Most all of the content can be run in greens. If not, it’s skill. Can you spec skill now too? Such a ridiculous request/subject for this game.

thisolderhead.5127

That would also require accepting that the guy growing a pair also needs to tell the rest of them what role they are playing and what content is pro.

Please majority – don’t work out how to make your own fun but rather maintain LA position and wait for my “LF” message.

Please try again.

thisolderhead.5127

No one is having such a hard time that they need to see what everyone is wearing. Most all of the content can be run in greens. If not, it’s skill. Can you spec skill now too? Such a ridiculous request/subject for this game.

I recall games that would allow you to evaluate the skill of a player based on whether they’d spec’d correctly…

Please try again.

Gestankfaust.4216

I recall games that would allow you to evaluate the skill of a player based on whether they’d spec’d correctly…

BS…and you know it

Spec’ing has no skill involved other than in internet account….or access.

Posted by: BadHabitZz.1856

BadHabitZz.1856

Inspect no, but I would like to see basic stats like power, tough, prec, cd, AR and magic find. Achieve points are the most useless stat it doenst indicate anything…

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

i see only good in it, for one if a group does not want a specefic build in group is it not better to ask them to leave at the start of the run instead of figuring out half way through that theyre setup is not working well in the group and just vote kicking them? second is someone running a MF suit and just bringing everyone down. In any given run its very easy to tell when the groups dps is just not cutting it, but pinpointing who it is when everyone seems to be using theyre abilitys correctly is much tougher. The faster the leech is dropped the faster a rep can be found and the run can be completed. Finally fractals and agony resist, again better to replace the guy who joined with none before the run starts then wasting everyones time.

And you’ll soon be wasting your time looking for a group cause you’ll run out of anyone to group with if it is ever implemented.. Nothing good ever comes from armor inspect.. It’s none of your kitten business what my toon is wearing. You talk about a player bringing others down.. Have you checked your toon lately? You above post screams elitism at it’s best. The game is a game and for fun… It’s not a blasted job.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

Spec’d Correctly? According to whom? The game’s populace? No player has a right to dictate how another player should gear their toon. And by no means does it mean that their assumption of correct spec is even right to begin with.. Really? Taking the word of another player of what spec is correct is absurd.. They know just as much as anyone else..

Together we stand in the face of evil!

thisolderhead.5127

Spec’d Correctly? According to whom? The game’s populace? No player has a right to dictate how another player should gear their toon. And by no means does it mean that their assumption of correct spec is even right to begin with.. Really? Taking the word of another player of what spec is correct is absurd.. They know just as much as anyone else..

I really thought that the sarcasm there was clear…

Please try again.

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

We really need the feature of inspecting other people, because the skill of a player depends on his equipment.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: TheBlueI.3486

TheBlueI.3486

This should not be implemented as it will result in “elitist” behaviour with any sort of group activity and encourage discrimination against sections of the community who do not have the “expected” setup.

Unfortunately, “elitist” behavior already exists!

I often ask other players what armor they have because I like the look and want to know how to get it. This would be easier with an Inspect Gear GUI. It could also help unexperienced players to “discover” builds.