The Mounts are Useless

The Mounts are Useless

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

So no I’m not excited for the mounts, I’m just really curious why would ANET give in and listen to the community on this one? Because there is really no point in this game for them.

I agree – the mounts are nothing but for show, another gimmick (do all that stuff now with mounts!), and another thing they can sell skins for in the Gem Shop. For show and Gem Shop is fine, but I was disappointed that dying the Raptor only dies a tiny portion of it. I wanted to dye mine black in the test but it was hardly noticeable.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Celldrax.2849

Celldrax.2849

Mounts will be available in core Tyria, and this in itself is just awesome.

Large bodies of water with the Skimmer will no longer be an annoying obstacle (for the Rev at least), the Raptor breezes on past mobs, so traveling any distance from point A to B will become so much faster and less annoying.

Mounts are also just fun. It brings a new way to explore the world.

For glorious Raptor cavalry charges!

Man, I’m really gonna need a better graphics card…

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Large bodies of water with the Skimmer will no longer be an annoying obstacle (for the Rev at least), the Raptor breezes on past mobs, so traveling any distance from point A to B will become so much faster and less annoying.

Going past mobs? Why go past them when you can kill them? That’s how I got the 2 precursors that I have gotten were from killing mobs. One was in one Core and the other in Silverwastes, both just from going around and killing and harvesting everything on my way to do other things.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: otto.5684

otto.5684

Mounts surely do not substitute way points. However, they are supposed to add more into exploration and navigation. They also removes the need of a mobility skills in open world PvE. There is nothing wrong or negative about them.

In addition, whatever said about mounts can be also said about gliding.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: hugo.4705

hugo.4705

1) Waypoints are faster.
Sure they are, the only reason why they are mount is because you have just a few waypoints in PoF maps, so need something to replace them and move faster.

But I Disagree! Asuras are a kind of intelligent dwarfs, to sum up, they dig everywhere into the underground and discovered almost every lands so I’m sorry but It should have more waypoints in the crystal desert, and here is the proof: Waypoint inside the lost city of rata Novus, and every camps in dragon’s retreat map from HoT.
So mount are useless, Anet aren’t stupid, it’s business: Don’t have HoT and so no masteries to travel? Buy HoT! But finding magma canalization inside the crystal desert can be great since Balthazar and his fires are around there! Ley line too.

2) They do nothing new.
Of Course but same argument as before, replace masteries of moves from HoT.

3) It’s not a realistic approach.
It is, you are in an oasis which seem quite primitive with ruins and a lot of agricultural lands, it seem legit to use a raptor or a dromedary or sand manta ray…… It’s a fantasy world afterall. Pact will not deploy a tank just for you, they will only for fighting against a great danger like a dragon and it’s the same case with orders.

4) They don’t fly.
Yes and that a good thing, I don’t want to just fly over all maps in “yolo mode”, it make exploration more boring, I would just say JUST WALK! At this point I want to say that terrestrial mounts are useless too: running with them everywhere instead of waypoints? To peoples saying Waypoints bring nothing to the game: Imagine this game with only mounts, no waypoints or asura portals: Would you use your raptor to travel from rata sum to the black citadel?! Really?! I prefer to have waypoints than a horse running at 20km/h like in Zelda!! And that great they don’t fly, glider still have their uses.

Not so many maps are lacking of waypoints, it’s ok for HoT maps for me, and for tyria too. At dry top they are few, but it’s due to the sandstorm it’s legit, but inside the oasis they are NO sandstorm nothing that prevent Asuras to build one, and I think that we must add a good numbers of Waypoints and add mounts too, and so peoples choose what to use!ç

Join Inquest or Aetherblades that’s a terrible choice!
Please Anet, more underground, more asuran cities!
[TP] Bring back Moto’s boom box!

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Waypoints suck. They serve a purpose to get somewhere quickly, but there’s no joy in it. It’s not exciting or anything.

Because it is so much more exciting to travel across a map for the hundredth time, for instance, when you died or need to get to an event on the other end of the map?

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

This ship has sailed. Mounts are in the game and even if ANet agreed today that they were bad for the GW2, it would be ages (perhaps 2 years) before any major changes.

Since they are in the game, I recommend that folks suspend their dislike for the concept, try them out, and give them a fair shake.

I wasn’t in favor of adding them to the game, but I gave them a fair shake during the half hour i could spend in the demo and they were a lot of fun. Nearly as fun as gliding.

tl;dr mounts are in the game; find a way to live with them (or not, and enjoy the game less as a result)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Mounts are what brought me back to the game. It was my biggest complaint. Waypoints suck. They serve a purpose to get somewhere quickly, but there’s no joy in it. It’s not exciting or anything. Mounts are FUN! I had a blast this past weekend with the raptor mount and immediately pre-purchased the expansion.

Great – you have your mounts. Now, I want waypoints added so I don’t have to waste time ‘running/riding’ to where the fun is.

SBI

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

I think they missed the mark with this one. The game already has Dune Rollers. We are going to the desert.

Totally could have been Rollers instead of mounts.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: VanHalenRules.5243

VanHalenRules.5243

The point people make about GW2 not needing mounts is well taken, I felt the same before hearing of the PoF expansion. However, I think that this could be pretty cool if the developers add more activities using the mounts… like the race for example. Maybe they could add a new group of mini games like in Lion’s Arch for mounts, like a mount version of sanctum sprint or something (yes the current mount race is kinda like it, but it’s too plain and there are no skills used in it which make it kinda stupid imo). Would be fun to see more mini games.

Altered Tuner, Hockey Defender (CD server)

(edited by VanHalenRules.5243)

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

Waypoints suck. They serve a purpose to get somewhere quickly, but there’s no joy in it. It’s not exciting or anything.

Because it is so much more exciting to travel across a map for the hundredth time, for instance, when you died or need to get to an event on the other end of the map?

This is where I think ANet missed the mark. If we have 1-2 waypoints per map (which are supposedly the largest maps they’ve created) then it’s not going to be fun like you said.

I want the convenience of instant travel rather than having to AFK run on a mount to get someplace.

This is really taking a step back in this game, that’s for sure.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Waypoints are faster.
Waypoints might be faster but unless you’re not planning to move away from the waypoints then you’ll need to run from there to where you’re going, or use a mount. And mounts are faster than running. A lot faster.

Mounts make you move twice as fast!

Btw we doubled the distance between locations…

Faster mounts accomplish nothing?

Not really. Those mounts are so fast that crossing from the bottom of the map to the northernmost point we can reach was a very short time. In fact, I was thinking they make that large map seem too small because they cover ground so quickly.

Then they only re-did a problem they were having before. Remember WHY waypoints were becoming more scarce? So dying had impact in a fight. So you couldnt just bull rush a boss with death after death.

So even with the few waypoints in the area, with the mounts, its better to just die, WP, run back with mount than worry bout surviving or rezzing people.

Back to square one

And remember, it’s not just the new expansion maps that will have mounts. It’s all the maps, including all the vanilla maps with their many waypoints.

Goody. That makes the content even more trivial. Any new players wont be able to make it to events in time unless they too buy the expansion.

That’s possible.

Remember I said that I was thinking the mounts are so fast that they make that large map appear small. It could be a problem, for example, with daily events where all the riders can move at super speed to event location and all those without PoF struggle along behind. It’s also a problem if maps now seem too small no matter how big ANet can make them.

I’m not sure what a good solution would be at this time though. They are in game. They can’t be removed, but maybe a nerf to speed is something ANet should consider.

I don’t understand why they couldn’t just give them a static 25% speed boost and call it a day.

No need to constantly stack swiftness on builds which don’t have it (as the new elites probably won’t since HoT’s did) accomplishes easier transportation and the most-demanded part of it all: just the aesthetic of a mount.

I still am not fond of mounts because I think it’s unnecessary clutter and prefer enjoying the scale of the maps rather than just getting past some arbitrary gate to go superspeed.

I’m beginning to think that you’re right. That they should have had the max of +25%

Don’t get me wrong. I love superspeed on the mounts. Watch me race across the map! Watch me speed past all the mobs who don’t have a prayer of catching me! Fun fun fun!

Flying is great for one person but bad for the game as a whole and I’m thinking that superspeed is the same. Great fun for the individual player. But it makes the biggest map tiny and the mobs even more irrelevant since you can sprint past them. Even the Hydra which was trying to firebomb me on my mount couldn’t touch my speed as I went past.

This was (originally) one of the big arguments as to why people, including CJ, were against implementing these kinds of speed boosts; the GW2 team put forth a massive effort to make Tyria have so much detail in its map layout that they didn’t want to trivialize the map content by giving people what roughly equated to non-loading-screen waypoints/fast travel.

And I assure you that I’m not an explorer at all, either – my highest map completion character has less than 50% (I’ve roughly done map completion over all of my characters together) – it’s just that I don’t really see why anything aside from some cool views needs to get gated behind means of transportation. For those who enjoy doing it, we climb mountains on our own feet, often in conditions no vehicle or creature which could do the work for us otherwise can.

Mechanically it also doesn’t set a precedent for map design, either. Expansion 3’s maps are going to need to be big to account for mounts, tall to account for gliders, and so on. That’s a lot of extra work, and the core game ends up feeling dated and too small.

A major issue isn’t so much mounts themselves (visual clutter annoys me personally but of the remaining players, I know this is a minority viewpoint given the anime-style art direction the game has gone in since just before HoT), but rather the effects on their implementation; how they can affect the scale of existing content and make future developments lack the depth and detail that made core GW2 so immersive and excellent. If content is designed to be sped through, it’s going to be designed to allow for lots of skip-ability.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

All I ever hear about is waypoints.

Did you know for the first three years of the game all I ever heard about was how much waypoints cheapen all content? In fact, in the original dungeons, you didn’t have to wait for your party to die to revive so people simply waypoint-zerged the encounters-this is still done with major events and world bosses, removing any sense of danger from them. This is why the whole motto of GW2 open world content became “if you’re full dead then WP”, because its cheap.

After many years ArenaNet finally started listening to the players and destroying some waypoints, and having less in new maps. But just like all changes-then the other side just starts complaining endlessly that they have to spend 1-2 mins crossing a tiny map even with the ability to FLY.

Its just getting rediculous now, let it go. Yes, we know that you want to do your content a few mins faster so you can spend more time arguing on the forums that the game isn’t easy or quick enough for your liking yet.

I really, really recommend that people try playing the game. I mean, really play the game, as if you were a new player, on a new character, and everything was new to you. You will walk away with it with a completely different perspective. Playing it for too long as end-game warps how you view everything, it changes how you approach everything, it makes it so that you can’t always see the better.

We have completely sacrificed immersion in this game for cheap returns.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

(that said, I do really hope they will be disabled in cities)

THIS. This is an important feature that Arenanet absolutely HAS to implement or it will be a complete deal breaker for me. Mounts MUST not be summon-able within LA or any of the five racial cities. If this isn’t implemented I’ll probably not continue playing.

Hate is Fuel.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

THIS. This is an important feature that Arenanet absolutely HAS to implement or it will be a complete deal breaker for me. Mounts MUST not be summon-able within LA or any of the five racial cities. If this isn’t implemented I’ll probably not continue playing.

XD if you can’t stand something like that, I’m surprised you could keep playing this game until now. Not like it’d affect you in any negative way.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

XD if you can’t stand something like that, I’m surprised you could keep playing this game until now. Not like it’d affect you in any negative way.

I agree. All those pink hair and terrible auras are far worse than anything mounts could do. Mounts at least do no clash with the game’s aesthetic.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Celldrax.2849

Celldrax.2849

Going past mobs? Why go past them when you can kill them? That’s how I got the 2 precursors that I have gotten were from killing mobs. One was in one Core and the other in Silverwastes, both just from going around and killing and harvesting everything on my way to do other things.

Eh, I only want to bother with the materials and enemies I need at that time when farming.

Sometimes I just want to get somewhere quickly, and that’s something mounts would be really useful for, especially the dailys.

And yes, I know people like to bring up “lol just waypoint”, but a waypoint won’t get you there any faster to those A to B points in between.

I’ll obviously take the closest WP to where I want to go, but then I’m saddling back up (because again, I just find mounts fun).

(edited by Celldrax.2849)

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: BoogerSammich.7189

BoogerSammich.7189

Wow, this post.
Way to cry about free ice-cream…
watisthisidonteven

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Weylin.6478

Weylin.6478

Personally I think the mounts are fun to use.
They aren’t like the WoW mounts, they have weighty physics that makes them interesting, at least in my opinion.

The Mounts are Useless

Blockhead Magee.3092

Did you know for the first three years of the game all I ever heard about was how much waypoints cheapen all content?

You NEVER EVER heard that from me, my wife or my guild mates. NEVER EVER. Waypoints were a draw in this game. Wasting time moving between locations is not fun. I don’t play video games to be bored and wasting time on a mount just to get to a location is BORING.

What is getting cheapened is the time spent in game doing something fun.

SBI

The Mounts are Useless

Aomine.5012

I agree. All those pink hair and terrible auras are far worse than anything mounts could do. Mounts at least do no clash with the game’s aesthetic.

Pink Hair?
Pfft, scratch that.

Norn is the biggest problem of this game by far.
https://i.redd.it/2c1l7qapx8fz.jpg

(edited by Aomine.5012)

The Mounts are Useless

BoogerSammich.7189

Did you know for the first three years of the game all I ever heard about was how much waypoints cheapen all content?

You NEVER EVER heard that from me, my wife or my guild mates. NEVER EVER. Waypoints were a draw in this game. Wasting time moving between locations is not fun. I don’t play video games to be bored and wasting time on a mount just to get to a location is BORING.

I played the demo weekend and I have to say, mounts are FUN.
I mean, a lot of fun.
Also, I am in the “waypoints cheapen the experience” camp.
I think waypoints are good, but only when used sparingly.
IMHO, the current system of strategic waypoints combined with fun types of movement makes the entire game more fun.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

At this point in time, Tyria is a fashion game with hero’s that use cool moves to get where they need to go (like sword leaps).

With mounts in tyria, every bit of hero’s purity will be gone, every bit of fashion will be gone. We will officially be in a zoo. gw2 will become a zoo. And i’m sorry but i don’t play pokemon for a reason, and guild wars instead for a reason. There’s tons of games with mounts, why did you have to infest guild wars with it, and not play wow or ‘insert mount game’ instead? I wonder if you even will stay after 100 hours in PoF. For me the game officially got worse. There’s no only one way for Anet to salvage game for me, and it’s a hide mounts option, that will have people move with their respective fashion in the traditional way, even if they are using mounts, when i activate the checkbox option.

Guild wars is NOT a zoo, but mount enthousiast will make it so.

PS tons of people think, you got mounts becaus you screamed for it. Wrong. Anet and shareholders are desperate. Gliders had to have a successor, and they didnt. There was only one thing they know would sell like hotcakes: mounts. So they did anyway, even though they knew it would upset a lot of people. Money money money, it’s so funny but it breaks the best games down in a rich man’s world.

I’ll tell you one thing. The expansion after this, Anet will be in a huge torment. There Cannot, and will never be, something that sells as good as mounts, let alone gliders, unless they are insanely creative, wich I doubt in such short time (2-3 years). Mark my words, that expansion will not sell very well. Especially not it’s gemshop theme. And that once again confirms why mounts are so desperate. It was that, or more time, or much less gem shop money.

Gw2 will now be by definition uglier. All big mounts, (that seem to cause nausia according to forums, cause they are ‘to real’, so they will definitely be shakey), shaking their ass in towns, making the person on it almost in visible. Shoes, leg armor, will be almost invisble. Greatsword warrior using rush? Past sense, all will use mount now. Thief using infiltrators arrow? Nope. charm is gone.

Gw2 now will have a massive zoo with tons of monster clones (the mounts are basically monsters of gw2 bestiarium). And that is… boring. And annoying. And frustrating. Cause we know gw2 can be more beautiful. Mounts fit much better in an ‘old school’ graphic game like wow.

Also the tech in gw2 is very clear. All friendly objects can run true each other (if they are alive). Mounts that run tru everything… Nice really nice… Clipping is one thing, but mount ‘ghosting’, yikes. The game will become an ugly zoo.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

The Mounts are Useless

Blockhead Magee.3092

I mean, a lot of fun.
IMHO, the current system of strategic waypoints combined with fun types of movement makes the entire game more fun.

Thats good – for you. I also played the beta weekend and I do not find running on a mount to be fun at all. What is nice for you is that you can choose not to use the waypoints to get where you want and use the mount. Those of us who prefer the waypoint system are not given the same option.

I don’t play the game to run places, I play the game to find new things and fight (mobs, people in wvw or pvp). The way point system helps me not waste time on things that are not fun.

SBI

The Mounts are Useless

Aomine.5012

At this point in time, Tyria is a fashion game with hero’s that use cool moves to get where they need to go (like sword leaps).

With mounts in tyria, every bit of hero’s purity will be gone, every bit of fashion will be gone. We will officially be in a zoo. gw2 will become a zoo. And i’m sorry but i don’t play pokemon for a reason, and guild wars instead for a reason. There’s tons of games with mounts, why did you have to infest guild wars with it, and not play wow or ‘insert mount game’ instead? I wonder if you even will stay after 100 hours in PoF. For me the game officially got worse. There’s no only one way for Anet to salvage game for me, and it’s a hide mounts option, that will have people move with their respective fashion in the traditional way, even if they are using mounts, when i activate the checkbox option.

Except you can’t use mount in combat, meaning when you do meta events, people won’t be using mount.

Also not every class getting the privilege of using cool weapon/ utility skill as mobile source, and more often it gutted down player’s choice of what they could pick, and always have to stick with some mobility skills which is a huge annoyance.

PS: upset “alot” of people, which is just you, the minority that account for maybe 1% of the player-base. If we only sacrifice 1% of people’s enjoyment and make 99% happy, then it’s a rational tradeoff no matter how you look at it.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Thats good – for you. I also played the beta weekend and I do not find running on a mount to be fun at all. What is nice for you is that you can choose not to use the waypoints to get where you want and use the mount. Those of us who prefer the waypoint system are not given the same option.

I don’t play the game to run places, I play the game to find new things and fight (mobs, people in wvw or pvp). The way point system helps me not waste time on things that are not fun.

So much this….its why ive been against them in this game from the beginning, and depending on how they are handled, this may be the end for me, may, though i hope they are only REQUIRED for this expansion, cause they(well the raptor at least) make me physically sick(VMS, wheee…)

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Luindu.2418

Luindu.2418

2. clap for Anet (no joke), they make a bunch of people happy with nothing new…

4. I hope NEVER have a single Flying mount, 75% of the Masteries will become useless: Glide (6 Masteries)? better fly!, Mushroom? better fly!, Thermal Propulsion?, Oakheart Reach?, PoF Mounts “special moves”? …

The Mounts are Useless

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Except you can’t use mount in combat, meaning when you do meta events, people won’t be using mount.

Also not every class getting the privilege of using cool weapon/ utility skill as mobile source, and more often it gutted down player’s choice of what they could pick, and always have to stick with some mobility skills which is a huge annoyance.

PS: upset “alot” of people, which is just you, the minority that account for maybe 1% of the player-base. If we only sacrifice 1% of people’s enjoyment and make 99% happy, then it’s a rational tradeoff no matter how you look at it.

There is a thread with 2000 posts (merged a lot of threads) that went on from 2+ years ago, till about 4 months ago. At least half the posts hate mounts, the other wants them. Fun thing, While the mount wanters were very strong, on their hope, a lot admitted, that gw2 is probably not the best game to add, so they would not keep their hope high.

And no i’m not gonna look it up for you, because i just told the truth. ‘Just you’, hahaha. Mount lover certainly feel they are right about everything.

Every class can move fast now, even guard. Swiftness is little tricky but still possible. I agree guard needs 25/33% move speed trait. HOWEVER all other classes have them now. Even mesmer. Even Necro got several tools, etc. Mount is no excuse to move faster.

I wonder how many people that post now, ‘omg i love mounts’ actually played from start till now, gw2 without hopping to other games for more then 3 months. Many even admit ‘they come’ back for it. So basically, those are people that only play games that have mounts. 70%+ of mmo’s has mounts. Why couldnt you be happy with another?

Let’s put it this way: What makes Gw2 so great, other then the just announced mounts for you? You keep telling, mobility isn’t great, fashion isn’t great for poor people. Ok. You dislike that. It will not go away. You still dislike that. Why not play the game where you like Mount + the other things you like? That is a real riddle for me. It seems like many people plan to just run on a mount forever before they will actually do gw2 content, cause mounts is the only thing they like enough about the game to be raving about it now.

Every game has an identity. Gw2 is litteraly, going tru a massive identity crysis atm. And of course you will tell ‘but POF SOLD GREAT’ ofd it will sell great. Everyone who loves mounts will pay 30 euro, and that’s almost every gamer. However what when that is gone? hehehe, the trouble will start in the next expansion. I bet the ‘i come back for mounts people’ will have fled by then already again.

And that is the mistake Anet makes. Thinking short term, not long term.

Anyway you started with entitlement, i will do now too.

All the legendary weapon particle effect HATING people, can now disable the sound completely. There is no reason, not to give ‘mount disliking’ people the same option. Horses for Horses.

Also what does a mount give that gliding doesn’t give, other then a zoo feeling?

The Mounts are Useless

The Greyhawk.9107

Ever heard the phrase ‘The Straw that broke the camel’s back’? Meditate on that.
Look, mounts SCALE, which means that with every Charr or Norn mount we’re going to have something half the size of a T-rex parked at high player traffic areas like crafting stations, the mystic toilet, unique merchants, and banks. Don’t don’t think people won’t do it just to be kittens. Cities don’t need mounts, the waypoints are practically stuffed together like sardines in a can. And you guys bring up clashing aesthetics when one of the mounts is a motherkittening giant rabbit.
Riiiiight.
Arenanet, do this one thing and I promise I’ll never say jack against mounts again.

Hate is Fuel.

(edited by The Greyhawk.9107)

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

The mounts are very useful. Finally my toons can rest their tired feet.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

OP, there are more waypoints in Orr than there are in most of the new zones, but most of them are contested most of the time. Mounts are never contested.

If you’re going to present an argument, why not present the entire argument.

Mounts are superior to waypoints for one reason. : Everyone has the same waypoints but people can customize mounts. They can choose a favorite mount. A mount can become part of the identity of your character. This and this alone was the reason I wanted mounts. Not because they were faster or could do cool stuff. It’s a matter of personalization, something waypoints don’t do at all.

Therefore mounts are superior to waypoints in every way that matters to me.

That’s just it Vayne, in “every way that matters to you.”

As I said before, I was clearly in the “No Mounts” category. I’ve softened a bit and will give them a try. I still respect, for many reasons, those that still don’t want them in game. Some of the reasons I didn’t want them still exist.

I’m not saying mounts are good or bad at this point, but I understand both sides.

It’s all good, however. I still won’t love the game or the people playing it any less.

This is why taking responses in context is important. The OP stated categorically that mounts are useless. I said they’re not to me. One of us is talking useless end stop, one of us is talking about what I personsally prefer.

Point 1. Mounts are useless
Counterpoint: Mounts aren’t useless to me, therefore they’re not useless.

They’re not useless to anyone who

1. Wants to customize their character further
2. Wants to stop using runes for a speed buff, or a specific build just to get a speed buff
3. Wants to get through a zone to a contested waypoint from another waypoint

If none of this has ever happened to you, mounts may be useless to you. The difference is, I didn’t post a thread about it on the forums saying they were useless. I responded to a thread with my own opinion.

It doesn’t matter to me if you personally understand both sides or not, because I’m replying to a thread that doesn’t.

The anti-mount sentiment on these forums has always been way overblow to me. But I try only to talk for me and people like me, rather than to make broad sweeping statements that are demonstrably untrue.

You’re not forced to use a mount everywhere in the open world, but there are places it will be useful.

The Mounts are Useless

Vayne.8563

Ever heard the phrase ‘The Straw that broke the camel’s back’? Meditate on that.
Look, mounts SCALE, which means that with every Charr or Norn mount we’re going to have something half the size of a T-rex parked at high player traffic areas like crafting stations, the mystic toilet, unique merchants, and banks. Don’t don’t think people won’t do it just to be kittens. Cities don’t need mounts, the waypoints are practically stuffed together like sardines in a can. And you guys bring up clashing aesthetics when one of the mounts is a motherkittening giant rabbit.
Riiiiight.
Arenanet, do this one thing and I promise I’ll never say jack against mounts again.

Assuming mounts won’t be disabled in those areas, because we know they can be.

The Mounts are Useless

The Greyhawk.9107

BULL. Absolute kitten, your 99% vs 1% is no more accurate than the continuous claim that macaulay culkin is deceased. Unverifiable and completely intellectually dishonest.

Hate is Fuel.

The Mounts are Useless

Phoebe Ascension.8437

OP, there are more waypoints in Orr than there are in most of the new zones, but most of them are contested most of the time. Mounts are never contested.

Mounts are superior to waypoints for one reason. : Everyone has the same waypoints but people can customize mounts. They can choose a favorite mount. A mount can become part of the identity of your character. This and this alone was the reason I wanted mounts. Not because they were faster or could do cool stuff. It’s a matter of personalization, something waypoints don’t do at all.

As I said before, I was clearly in the “No Mounts” category. I’ve softened a bit and will give them a try. I still respect, for many reasons, those that still don’t want them in game. Some of the reasons I didn’t want them still exist.

I’m not saying mounts are good or bad at this point, but I understand both sides.

It’s all good, however. I still won’t love the game or the people playing it any less.

You’re not forced to use a mount everywhere in the open world, but there are places it will be useful.

And this really bothers me. Mount people keep saying ‘you are not forced to use mount’.

Yes we are.

1) New maps bigger, and very low amount of waypoints. Unless the claim that mounts are not faster holds true (doubt it, if mounts are slow, Expansion would not sell), We need to use mounts to move at a ‘intended by Arenanet’ speed to do the content of the map. WE HAVE NO CHOICE there is no waypoints.

2) Even if i don’t use mounts, i’m forced into the mount meta. And that is, from natural, high fitness warrior bodies running around in cool gear (yes i like that a lot of gw2, and now that mounts come, I realize even more how great it was). Mounts will make that cool feature (fashion and running) completely annihalated. We all know casuals, and game hoppers love mounts. If not in their basic love instinct, they got indoctrinated by the likes of wow to start liking it. There is no way back once you are ‘used to mounts’. This means that 70-95% of people in gw2 will PERMA use mounts out of combat. PERMANENT. We will not see a single ‘high fitness run in cool fashion’ anymore. It will be utterly removed. The best feature of gw2 completely removed, because of player mentality (to use mounts at all cost).

Do i have a choice to not use them? Nope. Not as long as Anet don’t give more wp’s, make swiftness just as good as a mount (unless it’s as fast/slower as swiftness wich i don’t believe, or their would be complaint threads already), and that they give a option, that if checkboxed, makes your client graphic card, show the person as running, without a mount under their feet, even when they are using it. Only THEN we have a choice. Only then I will stop making complaints, and let the mount people have their victory, cause then it’s sort of a win win. Before that, it’s a win some/loose some situation. And i’m tired that mount people are to entitled to see that.

The Mounts are Useless

Djinn.9245

The point people make about GW2 not needing mounts is well taken, I felt the same before hearing of the PoF expansion. However, I think that this could be pretty cool if the developers add more activities using the mounts… like the race for example. Maybe they could add a new group of mini games like in Lion’s Arch for mounts, like a mount version of sanctum sprint or something (yes the current mount race is kinda like it, but it’s too plain and there are no skills used in it which make it kinda stupid imo). Would be fun to see more mini games.

I certainly hope not. I will not play minigames so they are useless to me. I would prefer more story / map / armor / etc. Yes I know that the same people don’t make all these things. But less $ spent on minigames = more $ for the other stuff.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

The Mounts are Useless

The Greyhawk.9107

Riiiiight.

Assuming mounts won’t be disabled in those areas, because we know they can be.

That’s what I want, for mounts to be disabled….in cities. Big o’ blanket disabling within LA and DR and all the others. Like I said, there will be people that’ll park their Trex sized raptors at certain important areas. Which would work better, a spot to spot disabling or just making city maps mount free?

Hate is Fuel.

The Mounts are Useless

Djinn.9245

Riiiiight.

Just in cities? How about boss chests, etc.

The Mounts are Useless

Vayne.8563

And this really bothers me. Mount people keep saying ‘you are not forced to use mount’.

Yes we are.

1) New maps bigger, and very low amount of waypoints. Unless the claim that mounts are not faster holds true (doubt it, if mounts are slow, Expansion would not sell), We need to use mounts to move at a ‘intended by Arenanet’ speed to do the content of the map. WE HAVE NO CHOICE there is no waypoints.

2) Even if i don’t use mounts, i’m forced into the mount meta. And that is, from natural, high fitness warrior bodies running around in cool gear (yes i like that a lot of gw2, and now that mounts come, I realize even more how great it was). Mounts will make that cool feature (fashion and running) completely annihalated. We all know casuals, and game hoppers love mounts. If not in their basic love instinct, they got indoctrinated by the likes of wow to start liking it. There is no way back once you are ‘used to mounts’. This means that 70-95% of people in gw2 will PERMA use mounts out of combat. PERMANENT. We will not see a single ‘high fitness run in cool fashion’ anymore. It will be utterly removed. The best feature of gw2 completely removed, because of player mentality (to use mounts at all cost).

Do i have a choice to not use them? Nope. Not as long as Anet don’t give more wp’s, make swiftness just as good as a mount (unless it’s as fast/slower as swiftness wich i don’t believe, or their would be complaint threads already), and that they give a option, that if checkboxed, makes your client graphic card, show the person as running, without a mount under their feet, even when they are using it. Only THEN we have a choice. Only then I will stop making complaints, and let the mount people have their victory, cause then it’s sort of a win win. Before that, it’s a win some/loose some situation. And i’m tired that mount people are to entitled to see that.

Nope you don’t have to use them. If you’re gathering as you go, you’re getting profit by NOT using them. The only time it would be beneficial to use them is if it saves you time, in which case you can all your mount, make your jump or short run and go.

You don’t have to use them because for most of the beta I didn’t use them.

The Mounts are Useless

The Greyhawk.9107

Riiiiight.

Just in cities? How about boss chests, etc.

Oh shiiiiiiiiii……

I may have to revise my previous statements….

Hate is Fuel.

The Mounts are Useless

Phoebe Ascension.8437

In LA, if you do jumping puzzle (the easiest one), it says ‘no mount area’. Funny thing, rest of la (except other two jumping puzzle) = Not that Icon.

That is why for me, it’s already pre-decided that mounts can be used in towns, to sell the expansion more. But for me no mounts in towns would be godsend. I probably would buy ultimate version if they do that (now it’s certainly basic pof version). Everyone (with mastery, wich you should have – moutns need mastery too, so no excuse) has movement speed mastery in towns. That means mounts ARE absolete in towns, especialy with many wp. But they will also be very annoying when running tru an npc., or stacking in zoo masses on top of each other, taking the fun out of fashion.

Let me make another prediction, and question to think hard about Anet. Mounts come exactly as we think they will come: Big, intrusive (or godsend, depending on person liking or hating), tons of special mount skins (that sell like hotcakes), new mentality (everyone perma use mount out of combat), etc.

How good will skins sell on trade post? Sure they already have a backseat. But they still sell. Outfits gear, even while we don’t admit, while we will only make what we like ourself (visually), we also do to show off. We wouldn’t buy this stuff in single player game. We expect all skins to be available. So, extra mount sales, good. But what about your other things anet? Got any plans for that? Any predictions? Cause i have

The Mounts are Useless

BoogerSammich.7189

I mean, a lot of fun.

How do you find new things while way pointing instead of traversing the map?
That’s quite a feat!

The Mounts are Useless

BoogerSammich.7189

I certainly hope not. I will not play minigames so they are useless to me. I would prefer more story / map / armor / etc. Yes I know that the same people don’t make all these things. But less $ spent on minigames = more $ for the other stuff.

Holy crap DJINN you’re still around?
lol I leave for 2 years and you’re still holding it down.
I have nothing to contribute, just wanted to say hi

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Did you know for the first three years of the game all I ever heard about was how much waypoints cheapen all content? In fact, in the original dungeons, you didn’t have to wait for your party to die to revive so people simply waypoint-zerged the encounters-this is still done with major events and world bosses, removing any sense of danger from them. This is why the whole motto of GW2 open world content became “if you’re full dead then WP”, because its cheap.

After many years ArenaNet finally started listening to the players and destroying some waypoints, and having less in new maps. But just like all changes-then the other side just starts complaining endlessly that they have to spend 1-2 mins crossing a tiny map even with the ability to FLY.

Its just getting rediculous now, let it go. Yes, we know that you want to do your content a few mins faster so you can spend more time arguing on the forums that the game isn’t easy or quick enough for your liking yet.

I really, really recommend that people try playing the game. I mean, really play the game, as if you were a new player, on a new character, and everything was new to you. You will walk away with it with a completely different perspective. Playing it for too long as end-game warps how you view everything, it changes how you approach everything, it makes it so that you can’t always see the better.

We have completely sacrificed immersion in this game for cheap returns.

I love WP’s as they are: you’ve already gone there, and unless you’re keen to explicitly explore every corner of the map, being able to skip the running after experiencing the map the first time is nice. It’s a good thing to make people get that experience to begin with, however. It’s fresh content, and there are people whine all the time about not having enough (though I’d rather have less new content and more refinement of old content/systems).

Your argument regarding “acting like a new player” doesn’t really hold up in regards to mounts/PoF, though. PoF is an 80-only expansion. If people haven’t figured out combat enough to traverse some open-world areas for just one time after going through the base game, HoT, and then starting PoF, that’s not a problem transportation mechanisms should be trying to fix.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

This is why taking responses in context is important. The OP stated categorically that mounts are useless. I said they’re not to me. One of us is talking useless end stop, one of us is talking about what I personsally prefer.

Point 1. Mounts are useless
Counterpoint: Mounts aren’t useless to me, therefore they’re not useless.

They’re not useless to anyone who

1. Wants to customize their character further
2. Wants to stop using runes for a speed buff, or a specific build just to get a speed buff
3. Wants to get through a zone to a contested waypoint from another waypoint

If none of this has ever happened to you, mounts may be useless to you. The difference is, I didn’t post a thread about it on the forums saying they were useless. I responded to a thread with my own opinion.

It doesn’t matter to me if you personally understand both sides or not, because I’m replying to a thread that doesn’t.

The anti-mount sentiment on these forums has always been way overblow to me. But I try only to talk for me and people like me, rather than to make broad sweeping statements that are demonstrably untrue.

Vayne, I was in no way tempting to admonish you. I agree with you 99% of the time and I admire what you post here on the threads. I also wasn’t defending the OP or standing up for his position.

What I was attempting to point out was a perception that you post above proved to me. It was an outlook problem on mounts and a word usage problem.

You are correct in what you say about mounts and how they can be useful to people.

I think what I got from the OP’s post was that mounts were “useless” in the sense that they did not need to be added to the game.

He referenced reasons why they didn’t need to be added to the game. With the exception of his “mounts don’t fly” he isn’t necessarily wrong. His reasoning for not having them added to the game were held by many including myself.

Your reason for them not being useless are ones that are only valid because of the way that they were implemented in game, not justification for adding them to the game.

1. Customizing your character could have been accomplished in many ways. Mounts do allow for customization and are useful, but in a broader sense were unneccessary to the game for customizing characters. Useful in game now that they are here. Yes. Useful to the game that couldn’t have been done in a different or existing ways? No.

2. Again, only useful because of the way Anet implemented them. They could have made them merely cosmetic where runes and traits were still necessary. So again, useful as implemented, but not necessarily useful to add to the game.

3. There is an easy way to get from contested waypoint to contested waypoint now. Run. We didn’t need mounts for this one. The company could have just put them in places where they would not be contested all the time or moved existing ones to accommodate this. Mounts were not necessary in this sense.

The fact that mounts in this game move faster was a company decision, not that they had to be speed buffs.

So you are most certainly right about them being useful now that they are in game.

Considering the term useful in another way, were they useful to the game before implementation? No. The same things mounts provide, could have been done with other methods already existing.

tl:dr “Useful” is a subjective term with more than one meaning depending on context and perception.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

It’s about giving players options on how they like to move around.
Which seems logical for a game that’s meant to be played by hundreds of thousands of players that not all share the same views.
There is no better or worse way of transportation in a video game.
Everything from instant teleportation to flying mounts is valid and has it’s own advantages,and in the end it’s all about what each player finds more enjoyable than anything else.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

The Mounts are Useless

Djinn.9245

It’s about giving players options on how they like to move around.
Which seems logical for a game that’s meant to be played by hundreds of thousands of players that not all share the same views.
There is no better or worse way of transportation in a video game.
Everything from instant teleportation to flying mounts is valid and has it’s own advantages,and in the end it’s all about what each player finds more enjoyable than anything else.

The difference is that mounts add clutter to the landscape and can get in the way of things you are trying to interact with. We have seen this time and again in other games.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Even if they add clutter… That hopper/rabit/bunny/cuteness mount is just to awesome to complain about.

Honestly I really don’t support/see the need for mounts, but I am 100% for big fluffy cute things.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

How do Mounts get in the way of things one wants/needs to interact with? They aren’t interactable (so they can’t deter from an established interact item); we have interact keys, so we don’t need to see or even be that close to interactable content.

Fortunately, this isn’t ‘other games’.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

#endmountdiscrimination

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

You know what could’ve been a better feature than mounts?

A build template system so we can swap builds and gear faster.

Or gvg

But…ya know…mounts