The New Dailies -- Feedback welcome

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pulgogi.7619

Pulgogi.7619

I’m just going to sum up the ridiculous opposition here:

1. We don’t care that we’re getting rewarded more. That’s not the point.
2. We don’t care that it takes less time to get those greater rewards. That’s not the point.
3. We don’t care long-time marginalized groups benefit greatly from the changes (AP Hunters, PvPers, to a slightly lesser extent, WvWers). That’s not the point.

So what’s the point?

1. We want to never be pushed outside our comfort zones. That’s the point.

2. We want to expend absolutely no additional effort in order to attain any daily achievements. They should come as a natural byproduct of what we happened to be doing anyway. That’s the point.

The point is that Anet gave us “Go to ‘insert map’ and do 4 events.” “Go to ‘insert map’ and view a vista.”

So tell me what’s wrong with the previous system? Why cant I do events at my current location. Why can’t I view that vista that’s just down the road.

My view on this new daily system is this:

Login rewards: Great, very nice.
3 dailies for 10 AP: Again, that’s great
Making me go to specific areas: Not so great.

Honestly though, after thinking about it, it’s not that big of deal. Assuming Anet doesnt tweak (which is a VERY MINOR, simple tweak) the system in the future, we’ll all just simply adapt to it.

Your main qualm about the new system is that you maybe have to take a WP or an Asura gate or two…

Yea I’m just going to quote myself.

“2. We want to expend absolutely no additional effort in order to attain any daily achievements. They should come as a natural byproduct of what we happened to be doing anyway. That’s the point.”

Your godkitten right that’s my qualm. You ignored this though.

“So tell me what’s wrong with the previous system? Why cant I do events at my current location. Why can’t I view that vista that’s just down the road.”

That’s easy. The goal of the daily achievement system to expose players to different parts of the game. I imagine that’s the reason why they separated the laurels from it too, so that stubborn, whiny people who dislike anything new, different, or challenging would not find themselves terribly disadvantaged by more aggressive positioning of dailies.

That’s your answer? So you imagined? Everyone that is doing world completion is already going around different parts of the world. By default, we’re exposing ourselves to different areas just by playing the game.

Try again.

“So tell me what’s wrong with the previous system? Why cant I do events at my current location. Why can’t I view that vista that’s just down the road.”

It’s not the same thing. When you make an area a daily, you draw a population of players into that area. Caledon Forest, for example, is not the same experience when there’s numerous people running about, as compared to you being the only person you’ve seen in the last 10 minutes. By making the dailies, “Go here,” they’re able to create a more community active experience. This is especially true for the “Do X events in Y Area” achievements, where you’ll actually find people interacting, calling out in map chat when they’ve found an event.

This megaserver system must be a complete fail then, isnt it? How are the events now any different from before? Now it’s just a bunch of people following a commander (if there even is a commander) to different events. Once that commander is done with his/her dailies, bam, zerg fades away. Back to walking around looking for events to start up. Oh, people calling out events? Not always the case.

The interaction now is slightly above before, but that’s not saying much. Folks finish up events and then go back to whatever they were doing in the previous map. Hardly “a more community active experience.”

Posted by: Halthur.9654

Halthur.9654

The dailies were never particularly challenging. They were always trivial, and far more grindy than they are now. If anything, they just took the grind out of it.

It used to be you’d get the daily done after doing a few rounds of what you normally do.
Kill Tequatl = daily done.
Do 1-2 dungeons = daily done.
Do 3-5 rounds of PvP = daily done.
Spend 30-60 min in WvW = daily done.
Champ train for 15-30 mins = daily done.

For most players this wasn’t grindy, because those activities were a part of their normal routine. When you waypointed to Splintered Coast you were going to accomplish something (kill a big dragon).

Now you’re waypointing to a level 1 area to gather carrots, and I presume they are not used to power the Vigil Megalaser.

I am sure it was like that for some but Underwater kills, kill variety, laurel vendor visiting, event mentoring, reviving, and others were all things I stopped doing what I wanted in order to complete.

Underwater kills, yeah I rarely got the done. But Kill variety, event mentoring, reviving were things that I would get done through normal game play. Laurel Vendor was usually a bonus for exp at the end of the day, while I was salvaging another bonus exp if it was up for the 10. Since I was in town banking and selling.

Most of the stuff that they had up for the dailies could be done just by going out doing your normal activities.

And now even though it’s only 3 of 4 in PvE, you have to go do certain things, in an area of their choosing. It’s not where you want to be at, be it if you are leveling up, or out farming mats, like it was before.

ANet 2012 – Play how you want to play.

ANet 2014 – Play how we tell you to play.

Pulgogi.7619

Exactly. Why the hell would I stick around Queensdale or any other low level area after I get my 4 events? No. I go back to whatever map Im working for 100% completion.

I couldve worked on map completion AND do my dailies all at the same time. No porting. No load screens.

C’mon.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I LIKE the new dailies….

Completed 9/10 pretty easy, no real difference from the old dailies but u get extra rewards. Can’t see the problem really…

The only 1 I didn’t do was the daily fractal 11-20, because you had to do all 4 fractals…not just 1 fractal and no one’s got time for that…for a measly daily reward…lol

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Underwater kills, yeah I rarely got the done. But Kill variety, event mentoring, reviving were things that I would get done through normal game play. Laurel Vendor was usually a bonus for exp at the end of the day, while I was salvaging another bonus exp if it was up for the 10. Since I was in town banking and selling.

Most of the stuff that they had up for the dailies could be done just by going out doing your normal activities.

And now even though it’s only 3 of 4 in PvE, you have to go do certain things, in an area of their choosing. It’s not where you want to be at, be it if you are leveling up, or out farming mats, like it was before.

None of those were part of my normal play. Neither would be Krytan killer or the like. I spent much less time going out of my way in these first two sets of dailies in the new system than was normally the case in the old system…

The new system is Not a huge improvement I guess, but is at least a little better IMO.

Posted by: jammonstrald.1930

jammonstrald.1930

The dailies were never particularly challenging. They were always trivial, and far more grindy than they are now. If anything, they just took the grind out of it.

The new daily activities in practice might be less of a grind than the old activities, but the appeal of the old dailies was that one could complete them without having to go out of one’s way. Whereas to complete to the new activities, it requires one to consciously seek them out. To me that feels like more of a grind, even if the activities themselves are less so.

If a daily task is to get 25 kills, I’m going to do that by either: participating in an event, completing personal story quests, doing a dungeon, exploring the world, WvW, heart quests, etc. But I’m doing all of that stuff anyway! So even though grinding out 25 kills for the sake of in and of itself would be and is a grind, the task does not exist in a vacuum, and therefor the old system felt very organic and served as just an extra reward for doing the tasks that one likes to do in any given period of game time.

The new system takes that away and forces that attention be paid to it. “So ignore it and don’t worry about dailies” one might say, but as others have pointed out: certain areas and activities become saturated with players, potentially bogging down and stagnating the play experience. This then forces me as a player to acknowledge the existence and shadow of the dailies even though I’d rather just be playing the game on my own terms. Is it the worst thing ever? No. And I understand why some people like it, but count me as one that was disappointed to log in and see such inconvenient choices for the daily activity.

Whether the tasks are easy or not is irrelevant to me. The fact that I have to spend extra time doing them (however slight that time may be) makes the game feel like much more of a grind than before. I personally will be ignoring the dailies however I can from now on, hence the new dailies are failing to do what Anet hoped to accomplish with the change for at least anyone that shares my mindset.

Posted by: johnnymiller.5968

johnnymiller.5968

I’m all for change & not necessarily against these changes. 3 did bother me though.
1. The mystic forge achievement relied on throwing 4 items in & hoping you got an item back, which was different from the items thrown in. Achievements like this could turn the forge into even more of a gold sink.
2. The logging achievement. Visit six different maps to obtain logs & the achievement. Why? What is the point (could make life difficult for any low level/ new players). The old gathering achievement was sufficient.
3. Visiting one vista from a choice of six Ascalon maps :|

Of course, this is simply my opinion.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

It’s a good change.
It rewards people who enjoy all areas of content, incentivizes players to try other forms of content, and is possible for people who refuse to expand their horizons.

Exactly this.
I like how the immediate reaction I see is “WTF now I have to do XYZ?!”. Yes, well, what did you think the previous implementation was for? Only, it never really ended up doing that.

So now the factual rewards are automated (so people can’t complain about missing out on their laurels/coins), while the actual dailies try to entice you to play more varied.

Is close to perfect. Not quite there yet, but a very good implementation of the underlying idea.

The logging achievement. Visit six different maps to obtain logs & the achievement. Why? What is the point (could make life difficult for any low level/ new players). The old gathering achievement was sufficient.

It’s one continent for each specific possible daily logging achievement (Kryta, Ascalon, Maguuma Jungle, Shiverpeaks, Orr, Maguuma Wastes). So visiting one zone is very very much enough.

Also, consider how the old achievement failed: Few players would not gather at all every day. It didn’t give you any incentive to go out of your way to do something different or try something (again). It was just some added rewards on top of what you already did (which you still get, via log-in rewards).

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

(edited by Carighan.6758)

Posted by: Mogrey.3891

Mogrey.3891

too lazy to read what other people wrote.
myself now i’m something between like dislike.can’t decide
i like the chest for every task i complete.

what i dislike?well maybe dislike is a wrong word to say but i believe that the previous system was working fine.you could easily complete it really fast just by playing either pvp pve or wvw.

i will fully judge it while a see the daily rotation ofc.

as for the daily log in rewards.i have only good words to say.still need to see whole monthly rewards but still a +

i’m a poor and lonesome ranger.
Mogrey Norn Ranger [DS]

(edited by Mogrey.3891)

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’m intrigued by each daily having a reward chest on it now . . . also I’m okay with the ones which were drawn for today, so. The “Box of Lumber” was an interesting item to get rewarded with, I wonder . . .

. . . anyway, at least the dailies aren’t tied to Laurels / Coins anymore. Now I can safely say there’s little point to them unless you’re hunting AP.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

johnnymiller.5968

It’s a good change.
It rewards people who enjoy all areas of content, incentivizes players to try other forms of content, and is possible for people who refuse to expand their horizons.

Exactly this.
I like how the immediate reaction I see is “WTF now I have to do XYZ?!”. Yes, well, what did you think the previous implementation was for? Only, it never really ended up doing that.

So now the factual rewards are automated (so people can’t complain about missing out on their laurels/coins), while the actual dailies try to entice you to play more varied.

Is close to perfect. Not quite there yet, but a very good implementation of the underlying idea.

The logging achievement. Visit six different maps to obtain logs & the achievement. Why? What is the point (could make life difficult for any low level/ new players). The old gathering achievement was sufficient.

It’s one continent for each specific possible daily logging achievement (Kryta, Ascalon, Maguuma Jungle, Shiverpeaks, Orr, Maguuma Wastes). So visiting one zone is very very much enough.

Also, consider how the old achievement failed: Few players would not gather at all every day. It didn’t give you any incentive to go out of your way to do something different or try something (again). It was just some added rewards on top of what you already did (which you still get, via log-in rewards).

Ha yeah. Was just re-reading the achievement & realized I got that wrong. Got confused when 0 points were rewarded. Then looked at the others, they were 0 too.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

what i dislike?well maybe dislike is a wrong word to say but i believe that the previous system was working fine.you could easily complete it really fast just by playing either pvp pve or wvw.

I thought the first daily system was okay after getting Karma Jugs appended to it. I was clearly mentally handicapped, because it kept getting tinkered with for the good of the players and I kept going “what the . . . why? It’s working . . .”

Can this be the last time the system gets overhauled? Pretty please?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Since the most important part of the daily completion is the laurel, and you get those just by logging in without actually doing anything (and you can actually get 15 more laurels per month as opposed to the previous system, if you so choose), why is there so much hate now for widespread dailies? You just don’t do them if it’s that bad, kitten . Perhaps I am biased because I try to PvX and I have no issues with stepping into PvP or WvW, but come on! Some of the PvP dailies are pathetically easy – capture a point?! Seriously? This literally takes under 1 minute… Or capture a sentry in WvW… kitten , guys, I know it’s hard to get out of the comfort zone, but… wow.

Under the old system, singular daily achievement gave no rewards. Now you get stuff for each.

The new system is better. Plain and simple. Easier AP, more actual rewards. And the laurels are guaranteed just for logging in.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

People keep saying the old achievements could be completed without doing anything out of the ordinary most of the time. I agree. For which you were awarded with achievement points, If you’re not actually doing anything to be rewarded achievement points, why should you get achievement points. Before they were meaningless.

Anet separated the achievement (meager though it is) out of the rest of the loot and they’re providing that loot for just logging in. Only achievement point hunters really need be concerned and to be honest, they should actually do something for those points.

However, it’s a lot less work now to get 10 points than it was before the update, so even achievement point seekers should be happy.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Can this be the last time the system gets overhauled? Pretty please?

Gotta agree with this. As much as I do like the new iteration I would rather see time spent working on other aspects of the game.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

To all those self-entitled people, I will just leave this here.

Pulgogi.7619

Since the most important part of the daily completion is the laurel, and you get those just by logging in without actually doing anything (and you can actually get 15 more laurels per month as opposed to the previous system, if you so choose), why is there so much hate now for widespread dailies? You just don’t do them if it’s that bad, kitten . Perhaps I am biased because I try to PvX and I have no issues with stepping into PvP or WvW, but come on! Some of the PvP dailies are pathetically easy – capture a point?! Seriously? This literally takes under 1 minute… Or capture a sentry in WvW… kitten , guys, I know it’s hard to get out of the comfort zone, but… wow.

Under the old system, singular daily achievement gave no rewards. Now you get stuff for each.

The new system is better. Plain and simple. Easier AP, more actual rewards. And the laurels are guaranteed just for logging in.

No one’s complaining about the WvW/PVP dailies. No one’s complaining about the rewards. They’re all great changes. I love it. It’s Anet making the PVE dailies specific that people are complaining about. Suprise, these are the people that are working towards map completion.

You’re right. I can choose to simply ignore it and not reap the rewards. I just wont bother porting to QD, a map that I already have 100% completion. Forget going to someplace far east to view a vista right?

But get this! What if we can work on map completion in a new area AND do dailies at the same time?! Oh look, an event has just started. Oh look, there’s a vista nearby. A shiny rock, nice! I’m progressing while getting rewards. How great is that?

Posted by: Liz.1497

Liz.1497

imo this new daily system kind of failed. I thought dailies were meant to encourage you to play the game a bit every day? Seeing that that the individual achievements were things you’d likely finish by pretty much doing whatever in the game for half an hour to an hour, it would seem that way. The new dailies don’t do that, they try to take me out of what I like to do and force me to do random grindy stuff I would’ve otherwise not done. This is neither fun, nor productive, nor does it encourage me to play every day. Luckily the actual rewards (assuming you dont care about AP) are covered by the log in reward, so instead of playing every day, now I just have to log in. Great community builder, very fun indeed. Two thumbs down from me.

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

I personally was using the dailies for my alts exp.

Now logging in every day for 28 days gets you 10 levels worth of tomes. I suspect you can pick even more tomes with the 28th day bonus.

I have my issues with this change, but experience for your alts should be the least of your worries.

If you take the tomes you lose laurels compared to before.

Also I was using the XP for low level alts/keyfarming, where 1 daily achievement gave more than on high level.

And concerning the AP, as you already stated 5 are better than none.

On the other sides laurels are easier to get now and also additional rewards from the new dailies.

In the end the change has also downsides for me and I ask myself if that dev-time wouldn´t have been better spent on something else.

Posted by: NeoCodex.2438

NeoCodex.2438

The change is great. I completely approve. And it’s almost too easy now. Just the day before, I was short on time and barely managed to do 5 of my dailys in about half an hour.

With the new system, I did all 3 pve tasks under 10 minutes (wurm, gatherer, forge) and 2 pvp tasks in 1 pvp game. And I allready got 10 AP for the 3 pve tasks that took 10 minutes, while the day before it took me 3 times as long, for 5 AP (and crappier rewards).

How is this worse?

Those that complain are just too entitled and too lazy to actually read the tasks and do something outside of their daily grind. If you would start THINKING, this takes less time than before, gives you more AP, and better rewards. With the exception for the queensdale events. That was lol, I didn’t even touch that one.

(edited by NeoCodex.2438)

Liz.1497

It’s a good change.

Exactly this.

Why do you think encouraging/forcing people to “try” something different is a good thing? You’d think that after 2 years most people have tried most things those dailies have to offer and have decided for themselves if they enjoy doing them or not. I don’t need to go to Queensdale and “broaden my horizon” on how fun low level events are – been there, done that. Furthermore, this all may be “new” now, but how new is it going to be in 2 months when we’ve had every daily achievement 13 times already? Do we need to get encouraged to try out gathering plants in maguuma five times a month?

Liz.1497

The change is great. I completely approve. And it’s almost too easy now. Just the day before, I was short on time and barely managed to do 5 of my dailys in about half an hour.

With the new system, I did all 3 pve tasks under 10 minutes (wurm, gatherer, forge) and 2 pvp tasks in 1 pvp game. And I allready got 10 AP for the 3 pve tasks that took 10 minutes, while the day before it took me 3 times as long, for 5 AP (and crappier rewards).

How is this worse?

Those that complain are just too entitled and too lazy to actually read the tasks and do something outside of their daily grind. If you would start THINKING, this takes less time than before, gives you more AP, and better rewards. With the exception for the queensdale events. That was lol, I didn’t even touch that one.

Actually, kind of sounds like you’re the entitled and lazy one approving of the game being easier and quicker now. See? Insulting people that don’t agree with your opinion is fun.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

How is this worse?

Let me see, if you miss the wurm you have to wait .an hour? I dont know long time ago I did that wurm. But if you are right on time, easy peasy I agree.
I do not do pvp, and I will never start doing it because I think it sux. I Dont do WvW anymore because there is hardly anyone there.
So how again is this better for me, and of course I am talking about my personal experience.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I’m just going to sum up the ridiculous opposition here:

1. We don’t care that we’re getting rewarded more. That’s not the point.
2. We don’t care that it takes less time to get those greater rewards. That’s not the point.
3. We don’t care long-time marginalized groups benefit greatly from the changes (AP Hunters, PvPers, to a slightly lesser extent, WvWers). That’s not the point.

So what’s the point?

1. We want to never be pushed outside our comfort zones. That’s the point.

2. We want to expend absolutely no additional effort in order to attain any daily achievements. They should come as a natural byproduct of what we happened to be doing anyway. That’s the point.

Quoted for truth.

Prize for the worst one so far: complete a level 11-20 fractals. The sheer terrible thought process that decided that should get anywhere near a list shows how out of touch whoever thought of it is.

Running 49-50 every day and 31 if I have time. Screw me for doing more challenging content, no Tomes and Relics for beating harder stuff than required!

To all those self-entitled people, I will just leave this here.

To all those non-entitled people not reading the posts, I’ll leave this here:

And don’t even start talking about “achieving”! Beating Liadri was an achievement, collecting 4 plants in Maguuma, tagging 4 events in QD and looking for stuff to MF on multiple characters (all clean sold and salvaged, as always) is nothing more than grind.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: AdaephonDelat.3890

AdaephonDelat.3890

Now logging in every day for 28 days gets you 10 levels worth of tomes. I suspect you can pick even more tomes with the 28th day bonus.

I have my issues with this change, but experience for your alts should be the least of your worries.

Also I was using the XP for low level alts/keyfarming, where 1 daily achievement gave more than on high level.

On the other sides laurels are easier to get now and also additional rewards from the new dailies.

In the end the change has also downsides for me and I ask myself if that dev-time wouldn´t have been better spent on something else.

Doing the achievements still gives the same amount of exp (5%) but now in a consumable form which is account bound. You can just save these, give ’em to your lowbie and level up like that.

[BAD] a casual PvE guild on Aurora Glade.
http://bad-eu.guildlaunch.com
The Family Deuce. Asuran Adventure Specialists.

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

I like the new daily system.

If you only wanted laurels and the daily reward chest before, you had to complete 5 dailies. Now you have to do – nothing (save logging in). Because laurels and the rewards are distributed over the 28 day reward table now. That is easier.

If you wanted 10 AP, you had to complete 10 dailies, and could not remain in one game mode but had to do pvp and/or wvw. Now you have to do only 3 dailies. They are more specific but they also reward you with an additional chest, and these are – while not outstanding – quite nice. And you can do your daily in one specific game mode. That is better.

I am very glad about the changes. Because I like wvw I am now able to do most of them there. But I am not averse to win one pvp match with a guardian (you can always do the battle of kyhlo farm thing for it if you don’t like pvp) and I do like silverwastes events. While I have to change my routine I can still do the dailies while I play what I want. The great thing for me is: I don’t have to. The most important daily reward for me is the laurel and that one is free now.

(edited by Claudius.5381)

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

It’s the typical ArenaNet approach to game design, one step forward and 2 steps back. I’m more impressed than anything that they manage to accomplish it patch after patch. This approach of course always divides the community since some like the one step forward and others hate the 2 steps back. In this case here some like that the new dailies are more rewarding and less time consuming for AP(1 step forward) and others hate that their is less variety, forces them to do things that are out of the way, and development time was wasted on a system that was fine before and the time before that(two steps back). I can’t think of a single change to the game that the vast majority of players were pleased with, I think that’s more telling of what ArenaNet has become than anything else.

Posted by: ArmoredVehicle.2849

ArmoredVehicle.2849

Before this crappy update came in, one could do the daily just by normally playing the game. Now it feels more like a chore and robotic.

Why do I have to travel to a specific map to get lumber? Really, daily gatherer didn’t impose any limits and you could simply gather any 20 materials from anywhere and get the achieve.

Also the lack of that daily Laurel is another kick in the teeth, I don’t play much anymore but that daily laurel helped me work for my legendary weapon.

I don’t care if I’ll get a gazillion laurels after 28 days or whatever, I never complained with the way it was. This update is plain stupid.

Vayne.8563

It’s the typical ArenaNet approach to game design, one step forward and 2 steps back. I’m more impressed than anything that they manage to accomplish it patch after patch. This approach of course always divides the community since some like the one step forward and others hate the 2 steps back. In this case here some like that the new dailies are more rewarding and less time consuming for AP(1 step forward) and others hate that their is less variety, forces them to do things that are out of the way, and development time was wasted on a system that was fine before and the time before that(two steps back). I can’t think of a single change to the game that the vast majority of players were pleased with, I think that’s more telling of what ArenaNet has become than anything else.

You can’t think of one change to the game that the vast majority of the playerbase was pleased with?

I assume you’re not counting the account wallet, the wardrobe, hell even the Silverwastes. Or account wide WXP, the new PvP reward tracks, the living story update with Glint’s Lair.

And that’s without even thinking deeply about it.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Before this crappy update came in, one could do the daily just by normally playing the game. Now it feels more like a chore and robotic.

Before this update dailies were also essentially pointless. Sure they were easy but we got next to nothing for completing them. I’m a bit surprised so many people are upset about something I thought most of us ignored or took for granted.

aspirine.6852

You can’t think of one change to the game that the vast majority of the playerbase was pleased with?

I assume you’re not counting the account wallet, the wardrobe, hell even the Silverwastes. Or account wide WXP, the new PvP reward tracks, the living story update with Glint’s Lair.

Most of the things you mentioned Anet didnt think of themselves? Sound to me like community requested changes.

Posted by: Tsubaki.8732

Tsubaki.8732

To add to the complaints, here’s my take on the new dailies:

Before:
Log in, look at daily achievements list (I do only PvE), “hmm, I’ll take this and this and that, and this one I could do on that map, …”. Do 7 or so dailies which I like, half an hour later dailies are done, check progress on monthlies, doing well there, enough played for today, log off satisfied at having had a little bit of fun.

Now:
Log in, get daily reward “hm”, look at the pve dailies which were selected for me and which I cannot change, see that one is “do fractals” which I do not want to do, choose the “spend wvw badges” one as a replacement to get 4 to complete the dailies, all the other options are pvp or wvw stuff like “take a tower”. Ten minutes later, complete the 4 daily things to do and then sit there with nothing left on the “to do” list.

tl;dr: I play solo and pve only. Yes, I am weird. I used the daily achievement list and the monthlies list as a kind of suggestion of what to do during the 30-45 minutes I play every day (i.e. do some stuff and get rewarded for it). The reduction of daily PvE achievements means my “to do” list is shorter. No, I do not want to “do something else for a change”. I tried PvP, I tried WvW, and I do not like it, so you can shove those daily options.

These daily achievement changes and the lack of monthlies will simply mean that I will spend less time in game from now on (and eventually probably go play more of the other games on my computer).

Posted by: particlepinata.9865

particlepinata.9865

I was feeling sorry for the new players who where blasted away by a big Zerg train of high level players in Queensdale hunting for dailies last day. There was no event to be found for them in time. Thats what you get with a narrow pool of daily pve goals. It was the Champ train al over again, So much for promoting friendly healthy gameplay.

Posted by: GuzziHero.5104

GuzziHero.5104

I’m only interested in the laurels anyway, to be honest. For me, despite my earlier kneejerk rage, things aren’t so bad.

But as said earlier, the dailies are a little too specific.

Carighan.6758

forces them to do things that are out of the way

But this is where the whole “New dailies are stupid!”-idea falls apart:
The rewards are given just from logging in now.

You are even less forced to do anything you don’t want to do than you were before. You got your rewards, now play whatever mode you enjoy. Or, if you fall into the target category of what daily quests are for, do things you normally didn’t do for the dailies (that’s the whole point, get people to play more varied).

I agree ANet usually does the 1-step-forward-2-back, but this feels like 3-forward. It even fixes the issue the previous system had after they made it so that the same achievements came up most days, in that there was 0 variety and hence 0 point caring.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It’s not about the time.

It’s not about the rewards.

It’s about choice.

This is understandable, but we do have a choice between a number of activities that are inherently fun and/or rewarding.

Well, no. We have a “choice” between small number of very restricting activities that you’d normally not do (or at least that seems to be the idea behind them – making you do things you’d normally not do). It’s the opposite of fun for me. It’s work.
I’d prefer to leave work in my RL.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Vayne.8563

Most of the things you mentioned Anet didnt think of themselves? Sound to me like community requested changes.

That’s not really the point, though. And there are plenty of community recommended changes that would meet with mixed reviews. Mounts, open world dueling etc.

The point is it’s not all doom and gloom and saying so doesn’t make it all doom and gloom. The game has had positive changes. And some of the negative changes were altered to make them more acceptable.

The fact that we have a community that has a hair-trigger reaction to pretty much everything doesn’t help matters either. There are some very very good community suggestions on these forums and some very bad ones.

I think there are people who won’t like the new dailies. But I think as many or more people will like them, and no one knows what people will like until people have a chance to get used to them.

Anet once spoke about DOA in Guild Wars 1 and said people complained endlessly when it came out about how hard it was. But they didn’t nerf it immediately. They waited. And people stopped complaining.

The NPE isn’t much of an issue to most people today (even though the trait system still is). But the dailies? I don’t think this will end up being a big deal.

People just need to get used to it. It’s not a bad change.

johnnymiller.5968

I was feeling sorry for the new players who where blasted away by a big Zerg train of high level players in Queensdale hunting for dailies last day. There was no event to be found for them in time. Thats what you get with a narrow pool of daily pve goals. It was the Champ train al over again, So much for promoting friendly healthy gameplay.

Yes! Right on the money. It was tough enough trying to tag enemies with so many other level 80 players around for each event, as the npc die so quickly at low level.
Kitten help any low level players. This should have covered all Krytan maps as with the logging.

ArmoredVehicle.2849

Before this update dailies were also essentially pointless. Sure they were easy but we got next to nothing for completing them. I’m a bit surprised so many people are upset about something I thought most of us ignored or took for granted.

They are still easy, not complaining on that, but I could finish them while playing the game without feeling like a kitten robot. I could care less for the little stuff they give, it’s pointless anyway.

There’s no need to give the laurels after 28 days, 1 a day was fine as it is.

As for today’s daily. There are very poor choices:

- Ascalon Vista Viewer
- Kryta Lumberer
- Guardian Winner
- Necromancer Winner
- Daily Pvp Capture
- 11-20 Fractal
- Daily Silverwastes
- WvW Big Spender
- WvW Land Claimer
- WvW Objective Defender
- WvW Tower Capturer

As a PvE’er who doesn’t like Silverwastes and fractals, there’s very little choice for me in there, the first 2 in the list to be specific, I’ll have to waste 25 badges just like that to get the 3rd and I don’t like WvW or PvP at all.

Ever since the game was released, I never have had a problem with the daily up until yesterday’s patch.

To put this in clear text: A few extra chests here and there don’t make this a better system.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Anet once spoke about DOA in Guild Wars 1 and said people complained endlessly when it came out about how hard it was. But they didn’t nerf it immediately. They waited. And people stopped complaining.

And then they did nerf it, because people got tired of complaining and just stopped playing it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Seeing how there are 2 distinct groups of players, each clamoring for their preferred type of AP acquisition with no possibility of reconcilation due to the subjective nature of the issue (difference of tastes and habits, and all), the best Anet can do – if feeling generous – would be to re-add at least 2 of the generic achievements available before the update, thus implementing the ‘best of both worlds’, so to say.

At the end of the day, the entire system of AP is entirely worthless and holds absolutely no value. Coming from GW which functions perfectly well without AP (and has 3 types of dailies largely resembling their current manifestation in GW2), I like calling the system of AP an illusion of content, which is why I find it laughable how worked up people get over something so irrelevant, yet bugs, the ill pve design and lack of pvp/wvw infrastructure as well as modes, subpar balance, watered-down team play, and the likes leave the majority cold.

As some already mentioned, the reason why the dailies were changed (now closely resembling GW dailies) was to revive parts of the game which have typically been un/underpopulated, while simultaniously improving the rather unrewarding reward system.
However, apart from inconveniencing ppl who liked getting extra perks for doing their usual stuff, the AP in itself neither gained in value nor did it really lose any, it did not have any/much to start with. If anyone can legitimately complain about value lost, it is the pvp crowd after the pvp title change hit live, but that value/prestige flew out the window literally years ago, so I digress.

To sum up, arguing is pointless, as both the old and the new system are equally worthless – the lack of value is intrinsic to the entire system of AP as such in virtually any game – but that aside, they both have their own perks.
Therefore seek the best of both worlds, and if Anet are feeling generous (i.e. if both camps unite and overwhelm the forum defenses) they might just add in those 2 extra lines of code to cater the ‘play-what-I-want-where-I-want’ generalists too.
I don’t care about it either way, as the AP system was garbo to start with, and adding log-in rewards won’t magically improve the game nor make it more fun to play, either.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

I find it extremely annoying when I’m trying to read each players opinion on the subject but some people find the need to post over and over again. It’s really unnecessary.

Please post your opinion but don’t keep affirming why you think you’re opinion is right……

Posted by: mhamilton.3095

mhamilton.3095

This Change has Totally F……. My game up , With these new Dailys . I dont do pvp wvw
so now I have no reason to log on anymore until this has been changed .

I know nonone will agree with my views , but this is how i feel , and i was compelled to write in these forums , something i really dont enjoy .

ArmoredVehicle.2849

This Change has Totally F……. My game up , With these new Dailys . I dont do pvp wvw

I know nonone will agree with my views , but this is how i feel , and i was compelled to write in these forums , something i really dont enjoy .

Actually I agree. Like many others I don’t like it either.

aspirine.6852

I dont like it either, I cant see why taking away the PVE options was considered a good idea. If they would just give back more than (is it 3?) options I would be fine with it.

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

Just adding my -1 vote for this madness being an unnecessary change.

My very first thought was “How does this help the NPE?”; conclusion it doesn’t especially when you get things like Queensdale which become a zerg infestation, even I was struggling to score few kills just to register that I was even at the event.

As I said to someone in Lion’s Arch, “This isn’t about quicker, easier, it is about choice and not being leg around on a leash”

This sums up how it should be from the first page.;

Let’s look at what this meant:
Kill stuff while playing the game when, where and how you want.
Revive stuff while playing the game when, where and how you want.
Do stuff while playing the game when, where and how you want.
Gather stuff while playing the game when, where and how you want.
Do enough stuff to get a level while playing the game when, where and how you want.
Spam different skills while playing the game when, where and how you want.
Kill different stuff while playing the game when, where and how you want.
Salvage stuff you get while playing the game when, where and how you want.

Server: Gate of Madness

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I like the new dailes actually. With the log in rewards, and reduced number of required dailies, I think it is a good system to encourage players to do a variety of different tasks.

I used to think that dailes should be gained from doing whatever you want, and to some extent I still believe that. But at the same time, Anet needs to find ways to get players moving about and doing different things, and what better way than offering rewards.

At the end of the day, you do not HAVE to do them. Your game will not explode or uninstall if you don’t complete your dailies. All that will happen is you will miss out of some loot and 10 achievement points. It is not the end of the world. And if loot is the only thing that is important to you in this game then I would say that the problem is with the content itself, not the reward systems, as you clearly do not get enough out of the content.

Personally I want a variety of enjoyable content much more than I want lots of loot. Also, the new dailes are not difficult and they do not take long to do. They are not always going to be things you enjoy doing, but because they are so easy and quick I really don’t see what there is to complain about. It took me less than 20 minutes to do my dailies last night and get the 10 points. And I don’t remember dying (in real life) or suffering any RL pain or torment from doing them.

To be honest, I have completed every LS episode on the first day and running events in the area, while fun initially, do get boring after a while. The new zone is a bit better than most as it mixes things up occasionally, but the zone can still go stale if you play there for too long. So for me at least these dailes forced me to make a change of pace and I actually enjoyed it. It wasn’t for long, but sometimes you can forget there are other areas and things to do in this game and I think if done right the dailes can be used to highlight that.

Another thing to note, is all the while Anet is focused on getting loot and rewards right, that is less effort put into improving the actual content. I for one am happy with the new system and would rather see them focus on other, more important, things now.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

(edited by Rin.1046)

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

Doing the achievements still gives the same amount of exp (5%) but now in a consumable form which is account bound. You can just save these, give ’em to your lowbie and level up like that.

I guess you mean that new XP-scrolls for the new dailies?

At first such a scroll gives a lot less XP than what a daily achievement gave before on low level (maybe half of that former XP, if at all; already had a look on that, hoping it would be some kind of replacement for the lost XP).

Second, you still have to do the new dailies to receive them – and most of the new dailies are not worth the extra time for the XP given while before I could manage most dailies with normal gameplay and some even only finishing on my alts (4 fast events on 80 in SW, 5th event for finishing the daily in queensdale).

Posted by: AdaephonDelat.3890

AdaephonDelat.3890

I guess you mean that new XP-scrolls for the new dailies?

At first such a scroll gives a lot less XP than what a daily achievement gave before on low level (maybe half of that former XP, if at all; already had a look on that, hoping it would be some kind of replacement for the lost XP).

Second, you still have to do the new dailies to receive them – and most of the new dailies are not worth the extra time for the XP given while before I could manage most dailies with normal gameplay and some even only finishing on my alts (4 fast events on 80 in SW, 5th event for finishing the daily in queensdale).

I was working on the wiki which doesn’t appear to have been updated (but of course could have been). According to that completing a daily (in the old system) will give you 5% towards your next level – http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dailies#Rewards

According to the new page for the Writ of Experience (what you call “new XP-scrolls”) they also give 5% – http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Writ_of_Experience

The bit you’re probably missing out on is the tasks you were doing to complete said daily. But yes you are correct you still need to actually do the dailies to earn these things. Or just don’t do them get your login rewards and use the tomes you get and level up with those.

[BAD] a casual PvE guild on Aurora Glade.
http://bad-eu.guildlaunch.com
The Family Deuce. Asuran Adventure Specialists.

Carighan.6758

“This isn’t about quicker, easier, it is about choice and not being leg around on a leash”

Yes, but the premise of the daily system is – clearly, just look at them! – to make you do stuff you may not already be doing. Hence a system simply rewarding you for doing what you already do would be pointless. It is, so the devs simplified that part to the log-in rewards now.

And then replaced the dailies with what they originally said they wanted dailies to do.