The New Dailies -- Feedback welcome

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

I just want a way to be able to open the daily login window again so I can see where I am in relation to finishing/what rewards are coming up next.

If you go to the Hero panel then to daily, you can pull up the panel that shows all your options for that day and it shows which you’ve done. If you select the ones you plan to do they will be on your UI and disappear as you do them.

What… no this doesn’t do at all what I asked for. I want to be able to open the daily login window again. You simply cannot access it once you close it.

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

When one does dailies in PVE, one can do them without fear of a squad of enemy players leaping out of a bush, killing you, and telling you that your mother wears army boots, and you are such a sorry player you should just die, die, die….which I am told, happens in PVP, and WWW…something about making the player you are attacking mad enough that they will make mistakes…but still…

May happen in WvW, it’s very rare in PvP – most of the time you get bashed by your team mates in PvP – and I’ve yet to see bashing on the farming servers.

But – let’s get serious – how did people who are actually bothered by such behaviour survive school?

I’ve yet to meet people in a game who are more spiteful than I see kids behave, especially against glass wearing kids, overweight kids, underweight kids, red haired kids, book reading kids … you get it.

And – let me restate it – while normal PvP is stressful – I doubt anyone can be stressed on a farming server. And the chance of being enemy players leaping out of bushes (unless you run a very low end computer) are pretty small when you (a) stick to your homeserver, only do ruins and land claimer (and spender but this requires the badges from the other two tasks) and remember ALT+F4 when you see enemies approaching and don’t feel like fighting.

Capturing camps, running in a zerg, assaulting or defending a structure, etc. is a completely different experience and should not be done unless one is really sure that they enjoy this … because, yes, that can be stressful and sometimes brings out the worst in some people (dancing on dead players, derogative IMs after having been killed and such things).

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I just want a way to be able to open the daily login window again so I can see where I am in relation to finishing/what rewards are coming up next.

If you go to the Hero panel then to daily, you can pull up the panel that shows all your options for that day and it shows which you’ve done. If you select the ones you plan to do they will be on your UI and disappear as you do them.

What… no this doesn’t do at all what I asked for. I want to be able to open the daily login window again. You simply cannot access it once you close it.

Ah, you mean the login rewards panel. I use this to check what’s coming next. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Login_rewards
In game you can type /wiki in chat then search for login rewards. Not elegant perhaps, but it gets you the information.

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

(…Snip)

(1) PVP, WWW-put them together . They understand, and are properly geared, for fighting their fellow players

(2) Dungeon, and Fractals-Let the Dungeon and Fractal crowd earn dailies while doing the game mode they enjoy the best.

(3) Open World PVE-Let them Gather, climb Vistas, Raise the Dead, and do Orange Circle missions to their hearts content.

Good suggestion!

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

My feedback: Stop with the narrowing of objectives. You know how hearts have multiple options for completing them? The reason that was designed that way is to allow for flexibility. Flexibility is a good thing. It’s part of what sold me on this game.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Borridian.1852

Borridian.1852

the new log in rewards make it so easy to get laurals. i just looked at mine and i have 50 for doing nothing!

Posted by: Borridian.1852

Borridian.1852

what does that have to do with the new dailys?

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Okay so here’s a list of the worst dailies I’ve seen in this new system with justification of why they’re bad:

1. Daily (Class) Winner: This is bad because you’ll end up with teams of 5 of the same class or two because everyone’s trying to get their 1 win on that particular class. The fact that it’s 2 of these a day makes it worse. For at least the first few hours you’ll find nothing but those two classes in matches. This also punishes people who focus on one class that they want to get good at in sPVP, but the main problem is what it does for team makeups.

2. Daily Fractal Runner: Not to be confused with the Daily (Scale) Fractal that requires a boss kill to complete. That one is fine. This one is the one where you’re tasked with completing ONE fractal out of a set rather than a whole set. It encourages people to leave runs when it’s customary to run a full set and complete a boss fractal.

3. Daily (area specific) Event Completer: This one can be hit and miss. If there IS a metaevent that is centered around large groups like say Shadow Behemoth in Queensdale or Svanir Shaman in Wayfarer’s, then it’s okay, just wait for the world boss on the schedule and go in and knock out the event chain culminating in the world boss. It’s designed to scale up and handle a lot of people. However areas WITHOUT world bosses or group oriented meta events.. like Brisban Wildlands are HORRIBLE to get this daily with because everyone is scrambling around looking for events that DON’T scale up to how many people show up for them, so it can be hard just to get tags, not to mention how many events get announced in chat and you wp over and just miss it, as in you’re seeing it complete as you’re running up to it and it completes just before you get in range to do anything. Either make them regionally specific (IE Maguuma Event Completer instead of Brisban Wildlands event completer), or remove zones that don’t have meta events, or do a pass of every event in the zone and make them scale up. I can’t imagine how much work would go into that last one

Aside from those the rest all seem pretty fair and fun so far as I’ve been doing them. Well, daily vista viewer is kinda ho-hum but that’s beside the point. The WvW ones are all pretty fair and don’t encourage any bad player behavior.

Some suggested replacements or heck, just plain additions to the mix:

1. Daily Dungeon Delver: Non specific, just any dungeon, any path, story or explorable.

2. Daily (Region) Jumping Puzzle: Region specific so it doesn’t crowd everyone into one JP, but so that you’d do different puzzles from time to time, under the previous incarnation of Daily Jumping Puzzle, people just did one of the ones in Lion’s Arch. But if they had “Daily Ascalon Jumping Puzzle” they wouldn’t be able to do that. They’d do Loreclaw Expanse, or maybe one of the ones in Diessa or something.

3. Daily PVP Conquerer: Reward for 3 wins, any class. Replaces Class specific victory achievement. For replacing the second class specific well, there’s already daily rank points, daily reward earner, daily defender, daily capturer, daily brawler (player kills), so I think there’s enough categories pretty much covering everything you can really do in sPVP. I thought about Daily Reviver but some people said that’d be a bad idea.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Boneidole.3890

Boneidole.3890

I go away for 4 weeks, come back to the new daily system..I have to say I h8 it..
I dont do fractals or WvW or PvP.. my choice..
no hope of ever completing it..
now more than ever is GW2 more un friendly to the casual gamer
oh well it was fun while it lasted, there are now other games that do much better in player reward system that just make u want to log on to complete them ,GW2 has again shot its self in the foot…

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I go away for 4 weeks, come back to the new daily system..I have to say I h8 it..
oh well it was fun while it lasted, there are now other games that do much better in player reward system that just make u want to log on to complete them ,GW2 has again shot its self in the foot…

All that you get for completing the daily is 10 AP. All the other rewards are tied to the system for just logging on each day. If the AP is important to a player, they vsb complete the daily.

Posted by: Terrin.2685

Terrin.2685

I prefer the old system because I could use it as a play limiting device. Once the dailies are done I would log out for the day. This way I don’t spend half of the day in game. The new design does not work for this at all. Would you consider adding an alarm clock to the game. Something that flashes in the middle of the screen that the time we’ve set it to as arrived.

The events in a specific zone daily could use an adjustment. Having a small army running around the zone can make it very difficult to get credit for an event because the content is devoured too fast. Instead of one specific zone how about a general world area. (tyria, ascalon, etc…)

The specific event daily isn’t all that great either. Not everyone has the attachment that tells you when its happening nor should we have to install a third part add-on to track it. If you are going to stick with this could you add the time it happens to the description of the daily?

The vista view daily seems like the kind of thing someone comes up with when they are out of ideas. How about a jumping puzzle in one of the general world zones (kryta, etc.) or joining in on a guild event or I don’t know….something other than a vista. Most people probably aren’t even watching it…just a quick start and a quick stop (which only serves to make the daily more pointless).

Astral Projections.7320

All that you get for completing the daily is 10 AP. All the other rewards are tied to the system for just logging on each day. If the AP is important to a player, they vsb complete the daily.

Well, that’s not all the rewards. There’s the chests with extra advancement on PvP titles, liquid world experience, pristine fractal relic, agony infusions, badges of honor, tomes and writs of knowledege, various mats, sips of karma, etc. depending on which you do.

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

come now, capture 2 camps solo, and do 1 easy pve daily and you’re done!

[SA]

Ayrilana.1396

Well, that’s not all the rewards. There’s the chests with extra advancement on PvP titles, liquid world experience, pristine fractal relic, agony infusions, badges of honor, tomes and writs of knowledege, various mats, sips of karma, etc. depending on which you do.

I was referring to the daily as in the 3 achievements.

Astral Projections.7320

Not everyone is motivated only by AP points. The rewards to get extra advancement got PvP was enough to start me on my first title track.

Since the person you responded to said, “other games that do much better in player reward system that just make u want to log on to complete them,” just saying 10 achieve points is the only reward for completing them might be accurate but it doesn’t cover all the rewards for doing them, especially since it makes the rewards for doing them appear less (which is what he was complaining about).

Ayrilana.1396

Not everyone is motivated only by AP points. The rewards to get extra advancement got PvP was enough to start me on my first title track.

Since the person you responded to said, “other games that do much better in player reward system that just make u want to log on to complete them,” just saying 10 achieve points is the only reward for completing them might be accurate but it doesn’t cover all the rewards for doing them, especially since it makes the rewards for doing them appear less (which is what he was complaining about).

My impression from reading his post was that he was referring to the daily itself and not the individual achievements. Him saying that he doesn’t like fractals, PvP, and WvW is what led me to that. If he cared about the new rewards for completing a daily achievement, which are related to that achievement, then he would just do the ones that he enjoyed and would not have made that post. Since he made the post, he’s complaining about the difficulty of completing the daily the way that he wants.

Astral Projections.7320

My impression from reading his post was that he was referring to the daily itself and not the individual achievements. Him saying that he doesn’t like fractals, PvP, and WvW is what led me to that. If he cared about the new rewards for completing a daily achievement, which are related to that achievement, then he would just do the ones that he enjoyed and would not have made that post. Since he made the post, he’s complaining about the difficulty of completing the daily the way that he wants.

I read it as both. The daily is impossible to do, the rewards are poor and other games reward you better for doing the daily.

Ayrilana.1396

I read it as both. The daily is impossible to do, the rewards are poor and other games reward you better for doing the daily.

Possibly. He was a bit ambiguous in what he was referring to with rewards whether it be the rewards for completing an achievement, from completing the daily, or both.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Oh, and just to reinforce to anet about how cancerous “Daily Fractal Runner” is, today we didn’t have daily fractal runner, we had daily scale 1-10 fractal (which is to complete an entire set of 4 fractals), we had a guy in group who quit midway through the 2nd fractal because he ’didn’t get his daily’ even though we explained that he needed to complete all 3 plus the boss fractal he just ditched and left us searching for another group member.

It worked out okay since we replaced a ranger with a guardian, but hey.

People are expecting to be able to just ditch a party part way through the run. Kill this awful daily now.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Astral Projections.7320

Possibly. He was a bit ambiguous in what he was referring to with rewards whether it be the rewards for completing an achievement, from completing the daily, or both.

Well, if someone logs on and immediately decides the daily is always impossible and not worth doing, then no argument is going to change their mind. So it’s kind of moot. Lol.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

How is it less friendly if the rewards you got from the old system are now given just for logging in?
As in: it has even less impact on how you want to play.

The confusion I think is in the naming.
Old Daily Quests —> Log-In Rewards
That is what actually happened.

The new daily quest system is not at all related to the old one. Different name could have solved that, tbh.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

(edited by Carighan.6758)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Yeah you conveniently forgot to mention that as usual, moderators generally remove threads for swearwords / insults / slander, not for content.

You conveniently forgot, that everyone that posted in that thread received explanation behind its deletion. And it was due to “unconstructive criticism”, not swearwords.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I still do not like the events, they are just map zergs. Especially the events where you have to walk along someone/thing and protect it. The foes barely have time to spawn before they are dead.

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

I have a suggestion regarding the PvE gathering daily tasks.

Currently, we have the following situation:
1. One daily task consists of mining ore, chopping lumber or foraging plants in a specific world region.
2. The reward chest for this mini-achievement contains more materials of the same kind that you had to gather.

However, this leaves the crafting materials of leather and cloth underutilized. Especially since the new dailies give a significant injection of ore and lumber into the economy, while especially cloth is undersupplied.

For this reason, I would very much appreciate one of the following changes to not make cloth materials even more expensive (relative to ore and lumber, at least):

A. Have the reward chest contain leather and/or cloth materials, rather than more ore/lumber.
B. Add leather and cloth gathering nodes (e.g. skinnable animals for leather and wool, certain plants for other cloth), along with corresponding daily achievements and reward chests.
C. Significantly increase the chance of cloth scrap drops, and especially of items that salvage into cloth.

As an aside, I have noticed that many of the more recently added loot tables in the game include a small chance of dropping a few cloth scraps of any tier. I assume this is done in order to compensate for the relatively high demand for cloth in (ascended) crafting. However, this becomes mostly pointless if the new daily system gives daily reward chests that contain comparable amounts of lumber/ore/cooking ingredients.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I have a suggestion regarding the PvE gathering daily tasks.

Currently, we have the following situation:
1. One daily task consists of mining ore, chopping lumber or foraging plants in a specific world region.
2. The reward chest for this mini-achievement contains more materials of the same kind that you had to gather.

However, this leaves the crafting materials of leather and cloth underutilized. Especially since the new dailies give a significant injection of ore and lumber into the economy, while especially cloth is undersupplied.

For this reason, I would very much appreciate one of the following changes to not make cloth materials even more expensive (relative to ore and lumber, at least):

A. Have the reward chest contain leather and/or cloth materials, rather than more ore/lumber.
B. Add leather and cloth gathering nodes (e.g. skinnable animals for leather and wool, certain plants for other cloth), along with corresponding daily achievements and reward chests.
C. Significantly increase the chance of cloth scrap drops, and especially of items that salvage into cloth.

As an aside, I have noticed that many of the more recently added loot tables in the game include a small chance of dropping a few cloth scraps of any tier. I assume this is done in order to compensate for the relatively high demand for cloth in (ascended) crafting. However, this becomes mostly pointless if the new daily system gives daily reward chests that contain comparable amounts of lumber/ore/cooking ingredients.

I could actually see re-adding salvaging as a daily, but make the reward chest strictly cloth straps.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Only problem i personally see with the dailies is the fact that it’s common for all….and the most annoying is the one where it tells u to go to map X and do events. It’s just stupid to overflood just 1 map in an mmo.

Not only does it make it extremely frustrating finding events and even finishing them because of the upscale but it also indirectly alienates other maps….because out of all the maps, all players will go to the daily-map as a priority.

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

There are a huge amount of replies here so I don’t know if this has been suggested before, I don’t have the time to read through 50 pages. Anyway here is my experience:

In the old daily system I never ‘aimed’ at dailies except if I had 4/5 I would often do the 5th to complete it. The end result is that I don’t have as many laurels as others, but that doesn’t bother me. I always did get some AP.

In the new system I haven’t completed a full daily once, yet. This has two reasons, I haven’t played much lately and there aren’t that many options to finish the whole daily within a certain part of the game (i.e. 2 fractal dailies on a single day has occured for example). Since I never really aimed to complete the daily other than ‘accidentally’ I don’t mind. However, I am currently receiving 0 AP even though I am still completing dailies sometimes. It could be improved by adding a meta for the daily that gives the achievement points in tiers.

Complete 1/3 daily +3 AP
Complete 2/3 daily +3 AP
Complete 3/3 daily +4 AP

This way people like me still get the AP for doing the dailies, but there are now no negatives for doing only 1 or 2 rather than a full 3. On top of that the AP hunters will still only have 10 points available per day as it is now. No downsides for the players as I see it at least.

As for the variety, having 12 dailies is pretty good and it does allow people to set foot into unknown territory. I do think that it’s not enough on a per-day basis. Having 6-8 per category while keeping the same limit would make it alot easier for players to pick out the ones they want to do to prevent issues such being forced into fractals because 2/4 dailies are from the exact same content.

(edited by Lethalvriend.1723)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’ve seen this phenomenon before in some of the Orr events. It’s mobs whose image remains on screen because (I believe) they die before fully resolving into the game. These screens are from last week’s Wayfarer Foothills Daily Events. Those worms are just images. People are attacking not because they have targets, they’re attacking in hopes that their attack will land with proper timing to catch the next spawn.

While I find this funny, I have to wonder if ANet’s intent is to have events be a joke — because that’s what this is.

Attachments:

Posted by: Steele.8230

Steele.8230

I’m still not interested in pvp or wvw or fractals. I understand that some day when I’ve done everything else I may want to push into fractals so I can get stuff to craft ascended gear but if there were any other way to do that I would. The latest push in the game in the dailies and pvp tournaments has gotten me to start checking other online games. I realize now with the amount of money I’ve been dumping into this game for chests and keys, added character slots, expansion of bank sections, etc, etc, that I could be playing an online game with a monthly fee and still be doing just as well.
But for right now I’ll play the way I want to play and do what I want to do in the game without being pushed subtly or directly by devs. But no more investment in the game. I am watching other online games. I like the customization of the characters in this game and they actually look like people-which to me is a big plus. But who knows how long I’ll be staying. There are a lot of talented developers out there and this isn’t the only game in town.

Posted by: Steele.8230

Steele.8230

In the old daily system I never ‘aimed’ at dailies except if I had 4/5 I would often do the 5th to complete it. The end result is that I don’t have as many laurels as others, but that doesn’t bother me. I always did get some AP.

I agree! In the old system I never really aimed at getting the dailies most of the time but went ahead and just played and had fun and it seemed like the dailies got done automatically through normal play. It’s true, it took longer to get the dailies that way but I was having much more fun. Isn’t that the idea of playing a game? It is for me.

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

I like them – apart from one thing. Dont make Daily events. It Takes a fraction of a second for a bunch of lvl 80’s to turn a mob into dust… not fair to the low lvl ppl and its not fun. And u have a hard time getting to any of the events in time, in an area Before they are gone as ppl zerg that map after them…
A better thing would be to make Daily events happen on different maps on different servers – and never in low lvl maps.

Kima & Co

(edited by Frostfang.5109)

Posted by: Fredjesus.7085

Fredjesus.7085

every change Anet do, make this game death, the trait system make so many new plays of my guild leave the game before lvl 70 because it’s not fun, like new daily system, 3/4 of a content you play, with very specifically events, is not fun.
i think daily was part of game, before i do 3-4 daily on 1 TEQ event, if you doubts the game is death for new players, just try to buy low lvl materias on TP, they’re absurd more expensive than dnd content materials, it happened because we not have new players on the game (not like before).

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

I like it just cause the rewards you get are “somewhat” relevant to the daily you achieved.

don’t like it, dont do em.

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

Posted by: Keta.9601

Keta.9601

I was away for all these changes and rather shocked when i came back a few days ago.

Now I understand the reward for just logging in mitigates some of the change. And frankly I’ve rarely spent the laurels anyway. But I rather enjoyed doing the daily just to do them. But I don’t like being told what parts of the game I must play.

This isn’t a matter of getting outside your comfort zone. I’ve played WvW extensively and find it rather dull and necessitates running with a zerg these days. As for PvP, that’s not even worth queuing up for. Add to it the inability to get enough damage or other participation in to get credit on some pve kills and it’s just no longer worthwhile. Oh and the past few days it was quite impossible for me to finish the dailys without going into WvW. Which I won’t do.

It also seems to me that the total combined rewards for doing the daily, and the new log in reward system is a fair bit lower than just the old daily and monthly system. And at least that system allowed me to get rewards for playing the way i wanted.

The change has just made the game that much less enjoyable for me.

Ayrilana.1396

The new system is better in that you get more rewards than before when combined with the daily login rewards.

PvE only players actually get more AP than before as well. Currently players get 280 AP over the course of 28 days. In the old system they would have had to complete 7-8 PvE achievements to get close to this which puts them at 266 AP (or 294 if they did all 8 ). For those PvE players that dislike dungeons and fractals, this system is even better.

The players that lose out are the ones who play the entire game and/or farmed AP. These players would have earned 436 AP in the old system.

Note: For PvE only players, I only assigned them 70 points for the monthly.

Edit: PvE players even benefit more as for 31 day months, they only lose out on 8 AP with the new system assuming that they did every PvE daily and monthly. Consider the time that it would have taken compared to now and they’re sitting in a good place.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: JRM.6218

JRM.6218

My thumbs for PvE:

Event Completer: Down (event’s hunters).
Vista Viewer: Up (easy, awesome).
Daily gathering: Down (boring, decent reward although).
Daily Fractal: Up (full run, all tiers).
World bosses: Up (a limit of players would be great).
Daily Activity Participation: Down (not for me).
Daily Exotic Crafter: Up (good reward).
Daily Mystic Forger: Down (don’t play lottery).

Posted by: razieljones.1408

razieljones.1408

Would love to see one or two more pve dailies added, I really have no interest in PvP and can assure you I wont develop an interest. other wise it’s a nice change.

Posted by: DavidH.7380

DavidH.7380

When one does dailies in PVE, one can do them without fear of a squad of enemy players leaping out of a bush, killing you, and telling you that your mother wears army boots, and you are such a sorry player you should just die, die, die….which I am told, happens in PVP, and WWW…something about making the player you are attacking mad enough that they will make mistakes…but still…

May happen in WvW, it’s very rare in PvP – most of the time you get bashed by your team mates in PvP – and I’ve yet to see bashing on the farming servers.

But – let’s get serious – how did people who are actually bothered by such behaviour survive school?

But, as I stated initially – it boils down to communication and many people I talked to who LOATHED WvW did the same … go solo, never ask questions, get killed by enemies … rage quit. For some reason many people do seem to have a communication problem .

Since the first quote made me think of school and the game at the same time, I realized there are a lot of similarities between how I behave in the game and how I behaved in school.

I am one of those people who sticks to Open world PvE as much as possible, loathes PvP, avoids grouping, never run a fractal or a dungeon, (4 level 80s and I don’t even know what a fractal is, honestly, other than it would require me to join a group), never joined a guild, is reluctant to use map chat, etc. I’m around, I like to see what is going on, I even enjoy interacting with other players in events and such when it is safe, but my primary concern when it comes to interacting with other players is making sure I don’t call attention to myself or affect their gameplay by making them teach me maps or mechanics, asking them questions, having to be rezzed, making them carry me through content, causing an event to fail or the group to wipe because I screwed up. It is more comfortable to be around but invisible than call attention to myself and risk becoming the target of hostility, criticism, and abuse.

I suppose in some ways we never really get past school.

(edited by DavidH.7380)

HtFde.3856

(1) PVP, WWW-put them together . They understand, and are properly geared, for fighting their fellow players

I agree 100% with the “they understand” part but the second one is where you are wrong. I see many uplevelled characters in WvW and they sure are not “properly geared” for fighting other players. The main difference is that they don’t care if they’re killed because they know it will happen if they run into an enemy player of a higher level – the trick is to not have that happen too often and accept the inevitable outcome when it does

HtFde.3856

just try to buy low lvl materias on TP, they’re absurd more expensive than dnd content materials, it happened because we not have new players on the game (not like before).

Nope -wrong reasoning, sorry.

The lower end “materials” (i.e. cloth, everything else is not a problem) have always been an issue – back to launch day. New players do not really help here because most of them will use what they get for crafting and as they rise in level their drops will change which will no longer salvage into the desired component … loot bags have always been the main source for cloth and 80s can get those much faster than low level characters.

For some materials like linen, cotton and wool the main source has been event farming for high level characters in the appropriate zones. What kept prices from exploding was the fact that those materials were not needd once you got past their need in crafting.

With the introduction of ascended armour, though, those materials are in constand need and that is why prices went up. Yet another reason for the rising prices is that most farm routes were seriously nerfed.

I did most of my leveling in the first year GW 2 came out and I had to buy linen, wool and cotton back then and it was expensive even back then.

Another main issue is silk – silk used to be dirt cheap and you used to get one or two stacks of it in a day. They changed it – unless I remember wrong – from 2 to 3 scraps needed and they seriously nerfed the rate for cloth salvaging items and drop rate from bags in Cursed Shore. In addition to that they added that 100 bolts of silk thing for ascended items … which changed silk from being dirt cheap to horribly expensive.

None of this has to do with “no new players” – new players level too fast to have an impact on the economy of those items. I created a few low level characters and hoped to increase my drop rate for cotton, wool and linen … no cookie. My 80s are still getting that stuff faster by event farming.

(edited by HtFde.3856)

HtFde.3856

I’ve played WvW extensively and find it rather dull and necessitates running with a zerg these days.

Depends on the server you’re on – but especially now with the white swords gone that statement is so absolutely wrong. Now you can flip camps and even take towers and keeps with a small havoc group without fear of immediate interception unless your opponents have placed sentries everywhere (which is uncommon on most not-top-tier servers).

Ever since the sneak event attack I’ve been in “enemy territory” with a group of 4 or 5. Zergs lose you points at the moment because 4 groups can capture more objectives than one combined zerg can.

HtFde.3856

My thumbs for PvE:
Daily Mystic Forger: Down (don’t play lottery).

Well, you can buy 4 green sigils/runes and combine them in the MF for < 1s. But – if you’re so totally against lottery … there are many recipies for the MF that have a defined outcome:

For example:
Mystic Salvage Kit (I love those – 250 uses, yay)
Material Promotion (why not convert unneeded T5 mats to T6 mats?)

Posted by: Aetheldrake.6395

Aetheldrake.6395

mystic forger, great daily, so easy, do it all the time anyway, now i get rewarded for it once in a while

any gathering, awesome, love it, do it all the time, now i get rewarded for it (albeit having to go out of my way to specific zones i dont go to all that much anymore)

events in zones, neutral, its nice to goto zones for events, but EVERYBODY in the game gets the SAME map…bumrushing 1 map with potentially hundreds, most likely even more than hundreds, of players trying to go into 1 area was absurb, daily 4 events should be randomized from all options, and all players who qualify for it, get a random selection, like wheel of fortune for zones

daily fractals, i dont entirely like going into fractals, but im glad its pushing me into them, but not when it wants me to do above scale 1-9, anything above the first scale set of fractals is an annoying daily, considering i personally have never gone past 5 or 6, why should i get scale 20-30…

i personally do not like pvp outside of mobas (most of the time) and hate seeing like 5/6 options for pvp, and then only like…3-4 for pve, i am ALMOST NEVER going to do these pvp/wvw…

my useless thoughts on the system, i mostly like it except for the pvp/wvw options take up nearly 75% of the options for someone who only goes into eotm to do some leveling on a new character

Posted by: Maximum Potato.5923

Maximum Potato.5923

It’s a mixed bag for me, personally.
- First off, I do like how it encourages people to go outside their comfort zone and try different kinds of content. Up until recently, I only played PvE, but the new dailies system gave me and my friends some incentive to play PvP, and although we’re not very good at it, we’re enjoying it and learning to embrace a part of the game we never touched before.
- But, the big problem I feel is the amount of effort it takes to complete the daily itself. Things like mining in place X, gathering in place Y, and fractal completer are awkward dailies that require conscious effort to complete – I personally liked being able to get my daily reward by just playing the game. I’m fine with putting in conscious effort to get 4+ daily rewards, but for a number as small as 3, I’d prefer if they were more achievable just by playing the game rather than having to head out and do something specific.

Who’s a good boy? Not you, since you aggro’d the BLOODY CHAMP-

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

A lot of people are complaining about the zergs destroying events, but this really isn’t a problem with the event daily. The problem effecting players is to do with downscaling. At the moment downscaling is so ineffective that a level 80 can one hit a low level mob with its weakest attack, and this shouldn’t be happening anyway let alone on the event dailies. All that is happening is the event dailies are highlighting this problem even more, they are not the cause of it.

The downscaling problem should not be a reason to fix the event daily, the event daily should be a reason to fix the downscaling problem.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

HtFde.3856

A lot of people are complaining about the zergs destroying events, but this really isn’t a problem with the event daily. The problem effecting players is to do with downscaling. At the moment downscaling is so ineffective that a level 80 can one hit a low level mob with its weakest attack, and this shouldn’t be happening anyway let alone on the event dailies. All that is happening is the event dailies are highlighting this problem even more, they are not the cause of it.

The downscaling problem should not be a reason to fix the event daily, the event daily should be a reason to fix the downscaling problem.

You’re (mostly) wrong …

The events in low level zones do not upscale … so there’ll always be 8 grawl to kill on the second stage of the Shaman questline. Now have 60 players and 8 grawl …

Even players of the appropriate level can kill a grawl in 3 – kittens so there’s no way that all 60 will score. And – even though you might enjoy self flagellation – if ANet really would not make a difference between a true level 6 and a downscaled 80 they’ll never have to worry about the megaserver because you will have an easy time of fitting the remaining players on one server.

Just so you get it – a true level 6 has less than 10% crit chance – if you’d truly want to downlevel you’d have to take away all traits that enhance cc – rendering all sigils that proc off critical useless – forcing all players to use different weapons to use in low level zones, readjusting their builds whenever they go to low level zones.

I think that’d be enough for most players to say goodbye to GW 2 – I know I’d do it if ANet would really implement this. If I would want to play a level 5 char I’d use a level 5 char and not play years to get a level 80 + full ascended equipment + very, very expensive sigils and runes, thank you very much.

Edit: Why the heck does “h i t s” get’s changed to kitten when I type hits?
Edit: Oh I see – kitten s where 5 is seens as a substitute for s … more great programming

(edited by HtFde.3856)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

You’re (mostly) wrong …

The events in low level zones do not upscale … so there’ll always be 8 grawl to kill on the second stage of the Shaman questline. Now have 60 players and 8 grawl …

Even players of the appropriate level can kill a grawl in 3 – kittens so there’s no way that all 60 will score. And – even though you might enjoy self flagellation – if ANet really would not make a difference between a true level 6 and a downscaled 80 they’ll never have to worry about the megaserver because you will have an easy time of fitting the remaining players on one server.

Just so you get it – a true level 6 has less than 10% crit chance – if you’d truly want to downlevel you’d have to take away all traits that enhance cc – rendering all sigils that proc off critical useless – forcing all players to use different weapons to use in low level zones, readjusting their builds whenever they go to low level zones.

I think that’d be enough for most players to say goodbye to GW 2 – I know I’d do it if ANet would really implement this. If I would want to play a level 5 char I’d use a level 5 char and not play years to get a level 80 + full ascended equipment + very, very expensive sigils and runes, thank you very much.

Edit: Why the heck does “h i t s” get’s changed to kitten when I type hits?
Edit: Oh I see – kitten s where 5 is seens as a substitute for s … more great programming

It’s basically the same problem as the pre-events for Fire Elemental. You’d think they would fix the scaling, but they haven’t. So yeah, event scaling is terrible in many cases, and the daily quest zones aren’t fit to handle it. I don’t overly mind daily zone events as a daily, provided that 1) dailies actually happen, and 2) the zerg is challenged enough by scaling that they don’t just sit around doing nothing. More mobs, more elite ranks.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

HtFde.3856

It’s basically the same problem as the pre-events for Fire Elemental. You’d think they would fix the scaling, but they haven’t. So yeah, event scaling is terrible in many cases, and the daily quest zones aren’t fit to handle it. I don’t overly mind daily zone events as a daily, provided that 1) dailies actually happen, and 2) the zerg is challenged enough by scaling that they don’t just sit around doing nothing. More mobs, more elite ranks.

Well, downscaling players isn’t something … natural … in fact, GW2 is the only game I’ve come across that has it implemented.

The main problem is that it is trying to get two things together that completely different and … at some times .. oppose each other.

Low Level area: Low monster density, allow players to get their feet wet – i.e. forgiving monsters – content must become easier in a group if players are challenged solo.

High Level areas: More monsters, nastier monsters, monsters scale up in health/damage as more players are around, amount of monsters is increased with more players – content should not become easier with more monsters …

Now, downlevleling players can substitute for lack of monster nastiness (less HP on player so they do not need to hit you that hard or use cc so that they can land more hits) but it can’t solve the problem that monster density has to be low in a low level zone and you cannot get more mosters because you’d make things too difficult for entry level players.

So downleveling has always been a compromise and – from my personal view – it does work OK-ish most of the time. It stops working, however, when you have too many people on the map and this is being enforced at the moment by the “do 4 events in” daily.

If ANet does this to re-populate unpopular maps, they’re making a mistake. There’s a reason why these maps are unpopular for high level players (low monster density, map too large with events too spread out, etc. = not good for loot) and coercing players to go there, do 4 events and then leave as fast as they can doesn’t make this map … popular. The other reason people go to low level maps is that they need to farm materials (another form of coercion – mostly not a voluntary decision) – and if there are better maps (less map, nodes packed more densely, events in closer proximity) they’ll always prefer those maps over, say, Snowden Drifts, which happens to be up now for the 2nd time …

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

- snip -

I stand corrected, it’s not just a problem with downscaling, its a problem with upscaling events as well.

I agree, the events need to scale better and downscaling needs to have more impact, without it completely crippling your gear and sigils, etc., which I do not think is an impossible task. But that still doesn’t mean the problem rests with the event daily. The event daily is merely highlighting the problem with the scaling, up or down.

That said, if it is Anet’s intention to only allow events to scale for 8 or so players, then I agree, zone specific events should be reconsidered or altered to allow more options. I have already stated before in this thread, that I think Anet should add more options on this particular daily. However, I disagree with peoples suggestions of changing it back to regions, as this will only result in empty zones and it seems clear to me this is something Anet is trying to avoid.

Whichever way you look at it there is a problem, but I feel fixing the scaling issue would be a much more productive way of resolving this issue than focusing on the thing that is highlighting the problem. It’s a bit like watching a film on a tiny TV screen and complaining the film is rubbish because you cannot see it very well. If they fix the daily events, the scaling problem will still be there and will conitinue to cause problems. By fixing the scaling issue they will not only resolve the daily event problem, they will also improve zones in general and allow more large scale content to be added in the future.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

HtFde.3856

But that still doesn’t mean the problem rests with the event daily. The event daily is merely highlighting the problem with the scaling, up or down.

Yes to the highlighting but the design of that particular daily enforces this highlighting

However, I disagree with peoples suggestions of changing it back to regions, as this will only result in empty zones and it seems clear to me this is something Anet is trying to avoid.

But they’re going at it in the wrong way. The question is “why is this zone so unattractive” and fix it – not force players to go there, vent a lot of frustration in chat which will most likely have a negative impact on new players – much more than an empty zone.

I usually try to avoid “examples” but let me try. Strawberries are a fruit and your kid should eat fruit but detests strawberries. So .. you can, of course, go at it and say “If you don’t eat your strawberries, you’ll not be allowed to play today!” Or youc an say “If you eat these strawberries I’ll give you 5$” … both will probably result in the strawberries being eaten but not more than absolutely needed and they’ll still be loathed.

But there’s other fruit than strawberries and unless you insist on the strawberries being the only valid fruit you might have your kid try various types of fruit until (hopefully) you find one your kid likes – which will result in extra fruit being consumed and a happy kid.

I prefer the 2nd option whereas ANet uses the first one to populate low level zones: “Forcing” us to go there for the daily and forcing us to go there to gather materials needed for ascended crafting.

Whichever way you look at it there is a problem, but I feel fixing the scaling issue would be a much more productive way of resolving this issue than focusing on the thing that is highlighting the problem.

I’ve said it before (among others) and I’ll say it again:

Make low level events into upscaling ones and it will have a negative impact on new players because content will become much harder than before when in a group.

Make low level events into upscaling ones and you’re either back at champion trains in low level areas or you’ll make them very unpopular for high level players if you kind of stop at elite mobs (and do not progress scaling to champion) because they will take a lot of time to complete and not give loot (why bother with them then?).

Make downscaling more effective and you’ll lose players (like me) who do not want to spend months on grinding for equipment that is worthless in 90% of the game. GW 2 has not enough high level areas to justify the amount of time needed for exotic or ascended armour if they would be completely downscaled in 90% of the maps.

You only have 2 maps in Orr and 1/2 map in the Shiverpeaks that actually are level 80.

Karka Island, Dry Top and Silverwaste are not solo player maps and I know many PvE players who don’t go there for that very reason.

I agree that you could upscale events “a bit” and that you could downscale “a bit more” without getting any of the dire consequences I mentioned above but I do not think that fine-tuning will fix the underlying problem.

If you want to populate maps make them attractive – that’s the best fix.