The New GW2 Flavor Rocks!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

ArenaNet designers have stated that it will eventually be possible to acquire a full set of ascended items, and that the methods to obtain them will range from PvP to WvW to PvE to dungeons.

1 – Why do you believe ANET on this point, when the very introduction of Ascended gear made their manifesto a lie ?

2 – So ? The current situation is still unacceptable. Promising a fix “eventually” is unacceptable, since “eventually” includes “years from now”. At the very least, I want a timeframe for a fix.

1 – Why should I believe a bunch of doomsayers on a forum (that has had doomsayers for some time) over the company that has made two games that I am still enjoying?

Because the lie is quite blatant. The promised that rarer items would be different on appearance alone. Then introduced rarer items with higher stats.

Well, unless you chose to close your eyes so you don’t see the evidence of the lies.

2 – Currently, the difference between exotic and ascended is three equipment slots that offer a total of +5 stat points each (spread out over 3 stats). Hardly a noticeable difference.

The size of the nerf isn’t important. What’s important is that everyone who can’t stand grinding FOTM has been nerfed.

So what is so unacceptable right now that needs fixing immediately?

The availability of Ascended gear to people who can’t stand grinding FOTM. It’s a simple enough fix, just create a vendor selling the items. Make the skins ugly if you want.

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

2 – Currently, the difference between exotic and ascended is three equipment slots that offer a total of +5 stat points each (spread out over 3 stats). Hardly a noticeable difference.

10,000+ posts later and you still think it’s only a 5 point difference spread over 3 stats, it’s 5 per stat, plus the bonus from infusion on just 1 earring, the accidental legendary boost also shows it’s more than 5 per stat on the bigger pieces. No wonder the merri go round will continue to go around.

How big a boost did the Legendaries get ?

Because I think we should be bringing up those exact numbers everytime someone claims it’s only a small change. Problem is, I don’t have them.

Posted by: EndlessDreamer.6780

EndlessDreamer.6780

OP, please stop misrepresenting what bait and switch laws are. It’s really kind of unsettling that it’s becoming the new ‘hot phrase’ amongst this community when you don’t really seem to understand what it means.

Bait and switch is when you offer something for a discount and then don’t have the actual product you are advertising and have a substitute at a HIGHER price. Thus because people came for the sale and they have spent their time, they will buy the higher priced object. That is fraud because it is their INTENT not to have the lower priced item that they advertised.

What you are referring to is what is called FALSE ADVERTISING. Advertising a product that does not have the features that are advertised. However, again, whether or not this is true in this case is really hard to tell because a lot of it is up to translation.

So if you’re going to use defamation towards Arenanet, use the right term please.

Posted by: Smash Fiasco.5963

Smash Fiasco.5963

OP, please stop misrepresenting what bait and switch laws are. It’s really kind of unsettling that it’s becoming the new ‘hot phrase’ amongst this community when you don’t really seem to understand what it means.

Bait and switch is when you offer something for a discount and then don’t have the actual product you are advertising and have a substitute at a HIGHER price. Thus because people came for the sale and they have spent their time, they will buy the higher priced object. That is fraud because it is their INTENT not to have the lower priced item that they advertised.

What you are referring to is what is called FALSE ADVERTISING. Advertising a product that does not have the features that are advertised. However, again, whether or not this is true in this case is really hard to tell because a lot of it is up to translation.

So if you’re going to use defamation towards Arenanet, use the right term please.

Thank you. i have so much to say to people like this but i just cant do it nicely.

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

Areana Net when are you guys going to just say “Oops we broke the open world hang on folks we’ll get this all fixed up soon”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Alone-on-the-map/first#post782712

Posted by: Smash Fiasco.5963

Smash Fiasco.5963

btw, im going to make “hot phrase” a new hot phrase. and thats only because of sheer irony.

I don’t think that’s how irony works. =P

yes it is, it would be ironic that “hot phrase” is the new hot phrase because everyone is using hot phrases these days and i would be using the “hot phrase” hot phrase to explain to people when they are using hot phrases. i think what you missed was my sarcasm.

Logun.2349

Well since this is the internet and not a court of law I think it applies.

The goal of the bait and switch is to advertise one thing to hook the customer then attempt to sell the customer a similar product or service usually to the benefit of the retailor or service provider.

It’s base definition is to (Bait) = (advertise a product or service you don’t intend to provide) and (Switch) = (Intentionally provide an alternate product or unexpected service to the consumer)

If you prefer Fraud works to, but that’s such an angry word.

I’m not trying to hurt Arena Net I’m trying to help, I made some prediction and observations and have been providing links to the post as there made to support my theories.

If you want to ignore the issues and have no empathy for the players having difficulty accepting the changes in the last patch that’s fine, but players feel betrayed and the game appeals to a narrower audience today than it did a few day ago. Telling them there just wrong and fighting with me over the definition of bait and switch is not helping.

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

Well the Ascended Gear post was finally locked. over 11,000 posts and 222 pages.

I guess they thought it was enough. The funny thing is that the size of the thread now has the attention of the media. More and more sites are finally talking about this change.

The debate about it will continue even if this forum no longer supports it.

And for those that hate the change, the negativity will spread especially to sites people use to make gaming purchase decisions. Already happening but not on a large scale yet.

Arenanet should consider doing something to diminish the growing frustration over this. Silence is a PR tactic but in the Internet age, not a good one. People can express their opinions and find others opinions with just a few clicks. Internet content including forum posts is searchable and can be found even when the original server removes the content.

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

Logun.2349

Well the Ascended Gear post was finally locked. over 11,000 posts and 222 pages.

I guess they thought it was enough. The funny thing is that the size of the thread now has the attention of the media. More and more sites are finally talking about this change.

And for those that hate the change, the negativity will spread especially to sites people use to make gaming purchase decisions. Already happening but not on a large scale yet.

Arenanet should consider doing something to diminish the growing frustration over this. Silence is a PR tactic but in the Internet age, not a good one. People can express their opinions and find others opinions with just a few clicks. Internet content including forum posts is searchable and can be found even when the original server removes the content.

Ya, I find it very unfortunate they Couldn’t manage just one reassuring post that would appease the masses with some real answers or at least a glimpse into the future of the game so those sitting on the edge like me could make a choice if I’m going to continue with the game or not.

I think players need to be treated like investors not just customers and a certain level of transparency is needed to be maintained as we all invest allot of time on the hobby.

Like any investor that loses faith in a stock we’ll start to look at cashing out if our confidence is diminished especially when unexpected events cause a shift in the condition of your stock.

I hope something good comes out of this, the genre really needs a success story.

Posted by: Oorjuwa.1682

Oorjuwa.1682

Just very well said +1

Thank you for the post.

“You’ve got some really nice toys there. Mind if I break them?”
— Gwen

Posted by: Ditton.3149

Ditton.3149

Ya, I find it very unfortunate they Couldn’t manage just one reassuring post that would appease the masses with some real answers or at least a glimpse into the future of the game so those sitting on the edge like me could make a choice if I’m going to continue with the game or not.

I think players need to be treated like investors not just customers and a certain level of transparency is needed to be maintained as we all invest allot of time on the hobby.

Like any investor that loses faith in a stock we’ll start to look at cashing out if our confidence is diminished especially when unexpected events cause a shift in the condition of your stock.

I hope something good comes out of this, the genre really needs a success story.

I think those who prepurchased should qualify for this role, customers are not really investors though. They should definitely be catered towards and made sure to be happy imo, however,

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

If you got this far and are curious about the title of this post that’s how the Bait and Switch works when you advertise one thing and deliver something unexpected.

Very nice touch.

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

Blame the investors, rather than the developers themselves. I’d strongly suggest people research just how easily even the largest of companies can have their hands tied by those who fund them.

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

The OP nails it on the head. This is precisely what is happening and what has already happened and what’s going to happen if Anet doesn’t turn around now.

They won’t. They already had a set of plans to follow, adding more powerful infusions. Nexon saw it fit to make a cash cow out of the GW2, which is, imho given a few more months, could be sit side by side with WoW clones. With the lack of bug fixes to a whole lot of things, you can pretty much tell that they spent their resources on this update. There’s no way in hell that executives would retract this.

Fixed that for you. Nobody is ever going to come anywhere near WoW’s success by coping WoW.

Nobody will come anywhere near WoW’s success in general. People can hate it and trash it all they want, but no mmo will reach those numbers again. Not even their new mmo.

Posted by: LordGustoff.3752

LordGustoff.3752

Well thought out post, and spot on. I went to farm a bit in the Cursed Shore last night, and boy was it empty… in the end we didn’t even have enough people to take Grenth, which is a quest chain I can usually do 2-3 times a night.

It’s rather sad that it seems that the latest patch has made the rest of the game all but obsolete. When I first heard of the content additions, I was excited. I didn’t really agree with the increase of the ascended gear stats, but I understood reasons for adding another tier and saw some benefits. I have also done a few tiers of the Fractals and have really enjoyed it. However, something needs to change because the MMO I was playing a week ago is not only empty, but has changed in ways I didn’t expect nor do I like in the end.

Honestly I wish there was some communication on what I should expect for the future of the game. Right now, only 3 months in, I assume that this is all growing pains for a game still in its infancy… but a year from now I don’t want to walk away wishing I hadn’t stuck around for so long. That’s what happened with me and WoW and I haven’t looked back since.

If you did what they did, you would have what they have.
You have what you have because you do what you do.

(edited by LordGustoff.3752)

Posted by: vox.5019

vox.5019

Honestly I wish there was some communication on what I should expect for the future of the game. Right now, only 3 months in, I assume that this is all growing pains for a game still in its infancy… but a year from now I don’t want to walk away wishing I hadn’t stuck around for so long. That’s what happened with me and WoW and I haven’t looked back since.

The cynic in me says that’s exactly why there is no clear communication of their intent. To string those of us along who would keep playing despite not wanting the game’s new direction to continue because we have hope it won’t. It’s a sound business decision and they need to make money after all.

This industry just needs to move on. We’ve seen a bunch of “WoW 2.0” attempts, and
who actually wants that? Do we really want to be playing those same game mechanics for
another 5 or 10 years? -Mike O’Brien

Logun.2349

I think those who prepurchased should qualify for this role, customers are not really investors though. They should definitely be catered towards and made sure to be happy imo, however,

Not investors in the traditional sense but players none the less make huge investments of time into a game. Most MMO players commit to one MMO because of the time it takes to build virtual property and the connections one makes with other players.

The problem is veteran MMO players have seen other MMO’s change in ways that have destroyed there enjoyment of the game. They can lose confidence in a game overnight unless a new clear path is communicated and fear of what is to come put to rest.

When change starts IMHO that’s when Developers need to be transparent with the community to let players know (X) was the vision but for the greater good we have to do (X) it increase our appeal.

BUT, and this is a big BUT, at the same time a Developer needs to be empathetic to the players that bought into their original vision.

As an example I’m going to bet that if the new tier of gear was marketed to the core player and they provided multiple paths to it open world, crafting and karma then told players it was coming and waited another 2 months to launch it there would have been less outcry.

For one, it would have given players time to enjoy there Exotic gear they just earned and spent a fortune on and or adjust their play style to perhaps focusing on one character to get it into exotics before a tier of gear goes live.
Attaching the new gear to a Dungeon also just makes it feel like the new elitism Raid gear.
I’m sure it would still have had an outcry anyway you try to cut it, the start of gear creep 3 months after launch is unheard of in most MMO circles.

Without a clearer picture from ANet it’s hard to tell where this is going to lead, until I see where this is going my time and money will remain unspent and perhaps invested elsewhere.

Logun.2349

The cynic in me says that’s exactly why there is no clear communication of their intent. To string those of us along who would keep playing despite not wanting the game’s new direction to continue because we have hope it won’t. It’s a sound business decision and they need to make money after all.

We’ve all seen that move before, it usually ends in an angry divorce.

Posted by: Rhydian.5412

Rhydian.5412

Don’t forget to get your refunds, here, step right up.

https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9053/kw/refund

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Locked with a message telling players to refer to a statement made before we saw exactly how bad Ascended gear was. For example, we didn’t know about untradeable RNG drops being required until the items dropped.

I’m trying to think of a scenario where locking the threadnaught with that message won’t make things worse for ANET.

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

Locked with a message telling players to refer to a statement made before we saw exactly how bad Ascended gear was. For example, we didn’t know about untradeable RNG drops being required until the items dropped.

I’m trying to think of a scenario where locking the threadnaught with that message won’t make things worse for ANET.

I have seen other people talking about this. I was so disgusted with this change I did not bother to research what it takes to get all pieces.

Can someone explain the RNG factor in acquiring one or both pieces? I thought you received tokens or crafting mats from Fractals?

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Can someone explain the RNG factor in acquiring one or both pieces? I thought you received tokens or crafting mats from Fractals?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vial_of_Condensed_Mists_Essence
Needed to craft Ascended back pieces. Randomly drops from foes in FOTM.

Logun.2349

Arena Net, expects new dungeon not to cause player division ….. All is well?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/A-day-in-Lion-s-Arch

The endgame open world player drought continues….. More News at 11:00

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/PvE-Areas-Abandoned

(edited by Logun.2349)

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Not investors in the traditional sense but players none the less make huge investments of time into a game. Most MMO players commit to one MMO because of the time it takes to build virtual property and the connections one makes with other players.

The problem is veteran MMO players have seen other MMO’s change in ways that have destroyed there enjoyment of the game. They can lose confidence in a game overnight unless a new clear path is communicated and fear of what is to come put to rest.

When change starts IMHO that’s when Developers need to be transparent with the community to let players know (X) was the vision but for the greater good we have to do (X) it increase our appeal.

BUT, and this is a big BUT, at the same time a Developer needs to be empathetic to the players that bought into their original vision.

As an example I’m going to bet that if the new tier of gear was marketed to the core player and they provided multiple paths to it open world, crafting and karma then told players it was coming and waited another 2 months to launch it there would have been less outcry.

For one, it would have given players time to enjoy there Exotic gear they just earned and spent a fortune on and or adjust their play style to perhaps focusing on one character to get it into exotics before a tier of gear goes live.
Attaching the new gear to a Dungeon also just makes it feel like the new elitism Raid gear.
I’m sure it would still have had an outcry anyway you try to cut it, the start of gear creep 3 months after launch is unheard of in most MMO circles.

Without a clearer picture from ANet it’s hard to tell where this is going to lead, until I see where this is going my time and money will remain unspent and perhaps invested elsewhere.

I think we are investors in this game but not the company. Without question. The gem shop. That is our investment – direct monetary return for Anet. We get a virtual world in return.
The issue doesnt exist for them so there is nothing to address.Only if outside sources view it as an issue will it become an issue. That is what is required for the catalyst of change.

Posted by: matenzo.9518

matenzo.9518

I’m less upset about the addition of a new gear tier, and actually more upset about the change to the flavor of the game.

If you’re having fun with the game, whatever that might be, doing dailies, running dungeons, collecting mats for crafting, experimenting with recipes, doing the open world events, or participating in WvW or PvP then it’s not a grind to obtain new gear.

The original designers of the game understood this. It only becomes a grind when you are forced into a single type of gameplay that you don’t particular like to begin with or becomes boring because you have to repeat the same action and content over and over again.

If everything you do in the game (crafting, adventuring, dungeons, dynamic events) ticks you a bit closer to acquiring the top end gear in the game then you’re earning the gear as a side effect of you having fun playing the game YOUR WAY. This was the promise GW2 had over other MMO’s

I’m pretty sure this was the point of Karma, by just playing the game you earn your way into Exotic gear (the old top level gear in the game) that’s what was great about this MMO. You could also just craft your way into the best gear or if you wanted to run dungeons you could get into top end gear that way too……this system is now broken.

This addition of the Ascended gear and Infusions have basically killed many of the best “Play the Game Your Way Systems” this game had to offer from crafting to karma.
The addition of this new tier of gear is just a symptom of the pandemic of things they broke with this patch.

The original designers of the game removed things like the trinity so there were no barriers for players to leap over in order for people to just play together without the need to search for a single profession type. This new content seems to work against this principle. With the introduction of mitigation armor (Agony) players will seek out others that already have a start on the mitigation sets to group with to improve their odds and be reluctant to let players with lower resistant scores join the group.

With the scaling of difficulty players will also seek out other players that have already unlocked the higher difficulty ranges so they don’t have to repeat the lower ones. This all goes against the original ideology for the game reintroducing walls for the players to leap over to play together.

Although these walls are being self-imposed by the player base the current design teams seems oblivious to how players will twist these systems to their advantage and exclude players lower down on the food chain.

The game is making a shift more towards the instanced dungeon endgame so many MMO’s go with introducing a new token (Currency) the Fractal Relics that will unlock some of the more powerful items in the game. This power creep virtually renders much of the other dungeons in the game obsolete just 3 months after launch, good luck finding a group for any of them if you haven’t already seen them.

I see this instanced endgame shift as an unfortunate step in the wrong direction that diminishes the open world massively multi-player elements. In a game that relies on players to push back against the games open world dynamic event driven environments a critical mass of players is needed to keep these areas playable. We are already seeing endgame open world areas that have multiple way points in contention because players have abandoned the dynamic events in these areas and the world has pushed back against the environment.

My prediction is this doesn’t get better any time soon, players trying to find a massively multi-player experience in the endgame open world zones are not going to find the critical mass of players needed to contend with the many group dynamic events in these areas or throughout the rest of the game.

I’m certain that with the player base already diluted between WvW, PvP and now this new endgame dungeon designed scaling in difficulty allowing players to constantly run them as long as they like the open world will become nothing more than a virtual lobby especially since this dungeon has its own unique currency connected to the best rewards in the game.

Moving forward I see the inevitable evolution for this game is to abandon the open world dynamic events in lieu of a more traditional single player quest system.
If these design changes are intentional then bravo job well done on the part of the live team, but I signed up for a true massively multi player open world experience so I’ll be taking a pass.

“Welcome to the lobby for World of GW2 please make a selection, would you like dungeon A,B or C ….sit back relax your game will start in a moment”

If you got this far and are curious about the title of this post that’s how the Bait and Switch works when you advertise one thing and deliver something unexpected.

LFG FotM lvlX

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

The implementation of the new gear wasnt 100% thought through IMO. But that doesnt mean its all bad. The only thing they really screwed up was limiting it to fractals. However there is nothing wrong with the fractals, they are much more fun than the other dungeons that just felt like WP bumrushing for the win.

The new dungeons are perfectly done, enough difficulty and fitting rewards. I thought it was going to be another endless clusterkitten of annoyance, but I was wrong. Its far easier to get to level 10 (the level you need to get to pretty much) than I thought. Levels 1-10 are there so you learn the dungeons pretty much, with a fair shot at exotics and rares (lots of ectos).

I was dead sure I wasnt going to get ascendant gear because I hate PvE in general. Its easy to say things suck before you try it, I’m just glad I tried it before I discarded it.

People also bash on PuGs, I’ve had the most wonderful PuGs aswell as being the PuG guy in guild groups.

Going above level 10 really doesnt give you any major benefit, except maybe a slightly higher droprate on the ring. The level 10-11 fractals should be enough if you only want rings for PvP/farming/other dungeons. Otherwise you grind to 20 for some extra resistance on the ring (doesnt effect pvp or other pve).

And if you have friends that wont help you to reach level 10 then you have bad friends/guild mates. You can only get one shot at the ring per day from the daily, well two one at 10-11 and one at 20-21. So there is no big reason for them to grind high fractals besides that, they would gain more by helping you up if its hard finding frac 1 and higher groups.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: TsukasaHiiragi.9730

TsukasaHiiragi.9730

I agree, but I see things in a much darker light than you. Unless things change and fast, this game will die.

protest this travesty of a patch -
Get it taken down -
Do whatever it takes if you care about this game -

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

The implementation of the new gear wasnt 100% thought through IMO. But that doesnt mean its all bad. The only thing they really screwed up was limiting it to fractals.

Many would say that there were other areas they screwed up. But that’s an argument that’s taking place in many other threads.

The lack of thought in this grind is what’s worried me. As people have pointed out:
– LOTR had a similar system to Agony. Nobody liked it there. Why did ANET think here would be different ?

However there is nothing wrong with the fractals, they are much more fun than the other dungeons that just felt like WP bumrushing for the win.

I do like the idea behind them. If it had been me in charge, all I’d have done differently is:
– No Ascended gear. I’m not sure if Agony would stay or not.
– Reset difficulty level every so often. But, when I do, I publish a list of all the people who made it to the highest level anyone obtained.
– The first group to make it to a difficulty level would also be published to show they did it first.

I was dead sure I wasnt going to get ascendant gear because I hate PvE in general. Its easy to say things suck before you try it, I’m just glad I tried it before I discarded it.

The main problem with Ascended gear is that people have seen it before in many other games and they don’t like it. Especially when they assume that ANET is planning a gear treadmill, and ANET refuses to tell them they are wrong.
For many of the people complaining, they don’t play MMOs in general because they don’t like a gear treadmill, so they won’t play games with one. GW2 promised to be different, these people paid for it, now they are angry that GW2 is ceasing to be the game they thought they were buying. Note how much of the argument focuses on the manifesto, and the feeling of being lied to.

As for the people who like grind, why did they buy a game that promised to not have any ?

Posted by: Duncan.7294

Duncan.7294

Flavor rocks…sounds delicious

Nice post. Of course you will garner more support with this type of thread title, making people indignant and then totally making them relieved that you’re not a kitten

Posted by: MechanicalMind.9126

MechanicalMind.9126

Love this post. Thank you OP.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien, President of Anet

Posted by: IonicBlaze.7948

IonicBlaze.7948

As for the people who like grind, why did they buy a game that promised to not have any ?

That what I ask myself since the patch came out…

The spirit of Guild Wars died on Nov. 13 2012. R.I.P.

Logun.2349

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Why-I-m-never-bothering-with-FotM-again

If nothing else this patch has been a learning experience on how game mechanics affect communities.
I think we all can agree we had a friendlier less divided community a week ago.

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

…this is by far the best post I have come across on these here forums.

+1

Posted by: blademael.2348

blademael.2348

+ 1 to the OP

I was wondering why so many people were searching others to get in the latest dongeon exept for new contents, didnt knew about the new armor, and now I think i will stop playing.

I was trying to get the full exotic karma armor thinking it was the “best” max armor of the game, but now I dont have the time to waist on another type of armor just to get invited in group to do dongeon.

When I saw ascended armor I thought it was like in GW1, to protect you from one kind of monster and then you had to do a dongeon, one, to ascend the armor but the armor kept the same level of protection.

You dropped the ball Anet.

Posted by: helladoom.4317

helladoom.4317

Seems to me there’s a rather large market for games that don’t just offer trinkets to keep people playing, but instead offer massively multiplayer PvE. Just don’t try and mix the two.

baited and switched

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

You can’t add a change like this partially.

When you add something like this, you have to make also retroactive changes.

This happened all the time in GW1, as better drops and more skills and armors sets get added to the new content, without updating the old content.
People ended up gathering in the latter areas, leaving the newer areas empty.

Then, those who arrived later to the party and came from the older areas to the new ones would hit a wall as they didn’t have that tittle or PvE skill that allowed them to join, and those who rushed to the new areas and visited the old ones found that they were either boring, or unrewarding, or both.

They say they plan to add other ways to get precursors and ascended gear. I say they should have prepared those other ways before adding ascended gear at all.

Now the other dungeons feel less rewarding for the troubles they take (as you can see from how often people skip parts of them if they can), and those who arrive late to the fractals after playing other things first will have problems getting into pugs. Making ‘freelancer’ players that decide to avoid guilds feel like second rate players.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Logun.2349

You can’t add a change like this partially.

When you add something like this, you have to make also retroactive changes.

This happened all the time in GW2, as better drops and more skills and armors sets get added to the new content, without updating the old content.
People ended up gathering in the latter areas, leaving the newer areas empty.

Then, those who arrived later to the party and came from the older areas to the new ones would hit a wall as they didn’t have that tittle or PvE skill that allowed them to join, and those who rushed to the new areas and visited the old ones found that they were either boring, or unrewarding, or both.

They say they plan to add other ways to get precursors and ascended gear. I say they should have prepared those other ways before adding ascended gear at all.

Now the other dungeons feel less rewarding for the troubles they take (as you can see from how often people skip parts of them if they can), and those who arrive late to the fractals after playing other things first will have problems getting into pugs. Making ‘freelancer’ players that decide to avoid guilds feel like second rate players.

Quite Right!, until they do something about the other dungeons and the open world zones to entice players back to this content there is a pocket of players that will be caught on a hard road to hoe to get into exotics.

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

Agree with OP 100%.

No wonder zones have been emptying since the 16th.

Posted by: bman.1683

bman.1683

I think that from here we can only see the game being developed into two directions. This new rocking flavor of the month. Or the good old vanilla flavor they had before. Let’s just hope it’s the latter…

Posted by: Aelaren.3784

Aelaren.3784

Two more things in this patch:

1. Severe rare drop reduction in all open-world areas. Which results in traditional areas being abandoned in favor of FotM. Also, patch-notes lied about “every champion now drops rewards”.

2. A lot of defensive spells now only can have 5 targets. Which means that summon-oriented professions (necro, mesmer, ranger etc) are now excluded from the buff-oriented groups. No one wants to share a buff with illusion that will shatter anyway.

Logun.2349

Two more things in this patch:

1. Severe rare drop reduction in all open-world areas. Which results in traditional areas being abandoned in favor of FotM. Also, patch-notes lied about “every champion now drops rewards”.

2. A lot of defensive spells now only can have 5 targets. Which means that summon-oriented professions (necro, mesmer, ranger etc) are now excluded from the buff-oriented groups. No one wants to share a buff with illusion that will shatter anyway.

They nerfed the karma rewards as well, pushing more players into this new dungeon.

Posted by: Silentstorm.7531

Silentstorm.7531

So arena net should take the dungeon out because he is 1. Too lazy to do it 2. Doesn’t want to do it 3. Doesnt like it

How is that the playerbases fault who went in and earned it. This just reminds of the guys who just want to use cheat codes to be powerful. Earn your power don’t whine that you HAVED to earn your power.

Posted by: Mozzyrella.4517

Mozzyrella.4517

+1
Totally agree with this post, thank you OP for summing it all up!

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

Take a bow, Logun. You’ve encompassed the collective emotion of those that have been burned by this.

We should remember, however, that the pain we feel can only be a fraction of what the developers that are still on the team must feel. They gave birth and nourished this game to young adulthood only to be forced to take that twinkle-eyed creation, with a life full of promise, and hold it by the wrists while forcefully penetrating its innocence away. Inducing tears and blood, all while looking in their game’s glassy, hollow, water-filled eyes, day after violating day.

A kitten reference? Really? I thought this community couldn’t sink any lower into appeal to emotion, no-logic-allowed territory.

This is completely ridiculous. It’s a 2% (at most!) stat increase to your character! (Notice that I said “to your character”, not “vs. exotic gear” google the math.)

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

Take a bow, Logun. You’ve encompassed the collective emotion of those that have been burned by this.

We should remember, however, that the pain we feel can only be a fraction of what the developers that are still on the team must feel. They gave birth and nourished this game to young adulthood only to be forced to take that twinkle-eyed creation, with a life full of promise, and hold it by the wrists while forcefully penetrating its innocence away. Inducing tears and blood, all while looking in their game’s glassy, hollow, water-filled eyes, day after violating day.

A kitten reference? Really? I thought this community couldn’t sink any lower into appeal to emotion, no-logic-allowed territory.

This is completely ridiculous. It’s a 2% (at most!) stat increase to your character! (Notice that I said “to your character”, not “vs. exotic gear” google the math.)

And the promise of a legendary for every slot to come at a later time.. in other words THIS WILL KEEP ON GOING!

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/A-message-from-our-Studio-Design-Director-Chris-Whiteside/first#post721451

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

@Snoring Sleepwalker.9073: I see what you are saying. Currently, it does look like treadmill, but if ascended gear will be the top tier and stay the top tier there really is no treadmill.

Honestly the game brought less grinding to the table than what I excepted at release. I expected to grind a set by doing dungeons, then when I had that, be set for WvW. However, I had full exotics just 5 hours after hitting 80, since everything was there at the TP.

I havent done more than the story mode of all other dungeons and a half Arah explore. I dont mind doing dungeons here and there for gear, and with the setup for fractals and ascendant gear I dont mind them at all.

To get the rings you need to grind to difficulty 10. When you reach 10 you need to spend roughly an hour (depending on the group) per day until you get the ring, while in the meantime you get badges and vials so you can craft cloaks in the mystic forge.

It takes 1850 badges or something from fractals, some skillpoints and a condenced mist essence or what they are called to create a ascendant cloak. You can also grind for other ascendant cloaks by doing regular world things, like farming vials of powerful blood, ectos and such.

I prefer the slight challenge in fractals though compared to the mindnumbing farming. If the cloaks turn out to be as nice the the others I will just sell all my current globs, scales, blood and so on and get rich.

And honestly, how many people have tried fractals? I complained before the patch, then thought I was silly for doing so before testing it out and giving it a shot. I still complain at times for the lack of a LFG tool and how incredibly stupid some groups can be, no matter if you end up with 4 other random PuGs or 4 people from the same guild, some people are just beyond help. Then you get the super easy going awesome PuG with no trouble at all.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

As for the people who like grind, why did they buy a game that promised to not have any?

My opinion?

Because they couldn’t be bothered to get informed. Because they didn’t read. Because they didn’t care to just watch some videos on youtube.

And why should they? They’re accustomed to resort to complaining loudly if what they get is not what they want and to have their way in the end. And again, they were proven right.

I think it’s a cultural thing.

But it’s not just a cultural thing as far as uninformed, lazy customers are concerned. In the US, there’s a corporate mentality that the customer is always right. Surprise, he’s not and to pretend he is can often hurt your business. That’s also a cultural thing, I guess.

A company faced with customers complaining about a product being exactly as advertised should simply grow a pair, tell the spoiled brats to deal with it and keep doing what they do best, that is, keep true to their vision and continue to make the product the perfect image of the peoduct they envisioned when they started developing it.

Posted by: Regrets of Sini.6083

Regrets of Sini.6083

FoTM is such a departure from everything else GW2 stands for. Entire game was designed to be inclusive – up-leveling in WvW, down-leveling in story mode dungeons and zones, shared exp and loot for everything… and no grind! You didn’t like one area of the game, well you do something else! It was great. You could take any level any class and do any aspect of the game with your friends.

Now? All you see is: “LF2M FOTM level X, Guardian or Ele!”

Fractured player base, new tier of gear with Korean-strength grinder to get it. Repeated dungeon grinding as an end-game content. What happened? Feels like they decided to compete with WoW.

Whoever is in charge, take a hard look at WoW. You can’t compete with them, they had 10 years and unlimited budgets to polish grinder to such fine degree, that they have a lock-in on grinder. SWTOR tried and failed, and they had Bioware and 200mil budget, why do you think Anet could succeed?

Posted by: Demarc.4906

Demarc.4906

A company faced with customers complaining about a product being exactly as advertised should simply grow a pair, tell the spoiled brats to deal with it and keep doing what they do best, that is, keep true to their vision and continue to make the product the perfect image of the peoduct they envisioned when they started developing it.

In most cases I’d agree with this. However in the case of MMO’s I’d have to disagree. MMO’s are constantly evolving and thats part of the attraction of them. Now before I say more I’ll say that I personally disagree with this new direction of Anets, thats beside the point though.

There WAS feedback on this very forum asking for gear progression, Anet took that feedback and ran with it. At the time those of us who did’ent want this style of game mostly stayed quiet because we believed that the game would stay as it was without our feedback.

In hindsight that was a mistake. Before the changes were made was the time to object to them, when there were 200+ post threads asking for gear progression was the time we should have been posting that we did’ent want it. Its mostly our own failing that we did’ent offer counter feedback against the gear progression.

Now people will say that we should’ent have to insist that Anet remain true to the vision™ that they sold us, but the harsh reality is that Anet did what the fans posting asked for, you cant hold them accountable for not doing what those of us who did’ent offer feedback wanted.

Now IMHO a major change in the game like this should have been discussed more with the community, polls etc and more feedback garnered before such a shift was made.

I cant fault Anet for making the changes based on forum feedback, I do however fault them for just taking the opinions of the most vocal on said forums without making a greater effort to poll the community as a whole as to what it wanted. (In game poll maby)

Now its quite possible that the results of the in-game poll would have shown massive support for the new gear tier and progression, if that was the case then the reality is that the game is heading in the correct direction for the majority of the fans, however had it shown the opposite this change in direction may never have happened.

TLDR – I don’t condone Anet for making the changes based on forum feedback, I do take issue with the fact that they did’ent make a “fair” effort to get a larger sampling of feedback from existing players.

(edited by Demarc.4906)

Posted by: PanzerG.3270

PanzerG.3270

potm (post of the month)

The key difference : in GW you never had to actually farm fow/uw to get obsidian armor. The materials weren’t bound. You could play/farm whatever /wherever you wanted and than simply buy the mats.
Only one visit in fow was needed to have the armor crafted.

GW2 was worse, because you had to run 1 dungeon over and over again, to get the most prestigious stuff.
That was okay, as long as it was just for a skin and there were lots of alternatives to get weapons with the same dmg/stats.

After last update all of that has gone. It is 1 dungeon only, to which you can’t even get a grp, unless you started with lvl1 the very moment it was released.
Last weekend I showed the guys i gave trial keys to around.
Result: no time for the new dungeon and now can’t find a grp for lvl 1…

GW sold seven million copies. That wasn’t enough it seems, NCsoft wants to sell even more of GW2. The most likely result: they will sell less.
I have spent several hundred euros from 2005 to 2012 on 2 accounts of GW, but after that last GW2 update, my wallet is closed for NCsoft/Nexon.
If I wanted a gear grinder with cash shop and gated content, I could just as well d/l one of the better clones for free…