The most telling thing from Anet...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Siobhan.3582

Siobhan.3582

Is their silence… There is not one industry that would have this happen and then turtle up like this and not respond to what their paying customers are talking about..

Not one.. The fact that they can not even have someone from their company say something along the lines of “we hear you, we are taking it all in” is embarrassing.

Mistakes happen… We ALL do them. They need to understand the next few days is critical for them. Get in front of this mess. Fine, you messed up… Your paying customers are telling you what you did wrong.. Listen up.. Be transparent. Tell us what your plans are to fix it.. That will buy you the time you need to get control of this trainwreck..

That one person.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You might try reading the Dev tracker.

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

I completely agree! I’m not about to uninstall this game. I think we, the players, the people who put the bread on their table, are making our opinions known clearly and I’m not about to jump the gun and quit. Yes, mistakes are made, we’re only human. Your player base doesn’t like it, so… sit down, think about it, come to your conclusions and come with a solution to fix this.

I fear what the repercussions will be if you keep things the way they are. It’s evident that your loyal players… are not happy.

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

Posted by: Merkator.6351

Merkator.6351

I don’t think you understand. From ANet’s perspective, nothing is messed up. This is exactly what they wanted (or if you believe what some people have told me privately, what NCSoft told them to do).

Either way, I’m seriously re-evaluating my desire to continue playing this game after being back 3 months. Tonight’s the first night I logged out from GW2 before finishing my daily’s. I normally did my daily’s in low level areas just to bump into new players and see if they had any questions. I also loved some of the events in low level areas, like the underwater Inquest Lab in Metrica Province. The removal of the events, nodes, mobs in this underwater area has really shocked me.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Anet isn’t completely silent. They did say there were bugs they were working on, including the fact that some of the new player experience was supposed to not carry over to existing players and did. They don’t know why yet.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Check it alot/ but not one has answer when the VIP system is going to be implemented here.

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

Actually most people complaining are either complaining from ignorance or because their key farming runs are a bit longer. Now some are complaining about bugs but most are being silence because all the “vets” who are throwing out misinformation. Bro the freaking game designer and director post on these forums i mean come on! Is that silence? Why does it make sense to have all slots locked per level? So people can try out different builds and focus in on one slot at a time. Look at the state of PVP everyone running around with a bad build or running a build they got from a forum and not understanding them. What is low level areas supposed to do? help you learn the game…… Now I won’t disagree maybe they could look at making some changes to some of the locks but don’t exaggerate.

Necromancer Main

Posted by: Charleston Chew.1209

Charleston Chew.1209

Adapt or die. Also you might want to google “resistance to change”.

Kill me again or take me as I am,
for I shall not change.

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

I’m not about to uninstall this game.

You aren’t. I am. I’d rather remember this game for what it was than play it for the mess it has become. ArcheAge releases in six days. If this mess isn’t cleaned up by then, I’m uninstalling GW2.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Ya because that’s what Anet should do. Have random employees posting things on the forums moments after the biggest fan explosion in the last 2 years. That’s how you communicate without getting fired.

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

Anet isn’t completely silent. They did say there were bugs they were working on, including the fact that some of the new player experience was supposed to not carry over to existing players and did. They don’t know why yet.

Ohh Vayne, your loyalty is cute. ( cute is the best I could come up with , without having the porcelain bus waiting for me)

Charleston Chew.1209

Ohh Vayne, your loyalty is cute. ( cute is the best I could come up with , without having the porcelain bus waiting for me)

And your toxicity is obnoxious and annoying. Get it into your head that Anet isn’t making the game the way YOU or anybody else want, they are making the game the way they want. Don’t enjoy it? Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

for I shall not change.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I’m going to be positive (hopefully not too naive) and assume they had heavy discussions today on what to do with this debacle and where to go from there and haven’t come to a decision, so they have nothing to tell us.

I mean, this is very very serious. Leveling is the one thing about the game that is unanimously praised about this game. The immense enthusiasm and hype that surrounded this game at launch then its 10/10s and GotY awards were largely based on the leveling experience. So if this patch destroys the leveling experience, it is effectively Arenanet doing harakiri if left like that.

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

I’m not about to uninstall this game.

You aren’t. I am. I’d rather remember this game for what it was than play it for the mess it has become. ArcheAge releases in six days. If this mess isn’t cleaned up by then, I’m uninstalling GW2.

You won’t even give them a chance to make a mends?

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

Zoso.8279

I’m going to leave because no “endgame content” I’m going to leave because no “hard dungeons” I’m going to leave because “dungeons too hard and no reward” I’m going to leave because “no mounts” I’m going to leave!!!!!!! please!!!!! This game is FREE you paid ONE! You bought gems in gem store? Heck me too! WITH IN GAME GOLD! Come on please! You don’t like some of the changes post in a respectful way why you don’t like them and how to make the situation better. If enough people agree with you then most likely changes will be made. Remember the person who argues the loudest isn’t “winning” or is right maybe they are just annoying -.-

Necromancer Main

Charleston Chew.1209

Mentioning ArcheAge with it’s heavy Pay2Win (as is custom in all Trion games) is relevant to buy once play free of Guild Wars 2 exactly how?

for I shall not change.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

And your toxicity is obnoxious and annoying. Get it into your head that Anet isn’t making the game the way YOU or anybody else want, they are making the game the way they want. Don’t enjoy it? Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

“Don’t enjoy it? Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.”

It’s not ‘toxicity’ when white knights do it.
Interwebs 101…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Siobhan.3582

That one person.

Sokia.3710

I haven’t liked the direction that this game has been taking, for a long time. It’s not about making amends. This is the straw that broke the camel’s back. Arenanet would have to do more than revert to pre-9/9 to get me to invest my time in this game. Simply reverting the recent changes wouldn’t be enough. They’ve shown time and time again that they refuse to implement the changes that the players want in the game, and instead they focus on crazy stuff that they think will attract new players.

I’ve given Arenanet plenty of chances. They’ve failed in many ways, but the game was at least more fun than competing games in the genre. This isn’t about giving Arenanet a chance. This is about choosing to play a better game, and hopefully one that won’t be intentionally ruined by the developers.

I don’t play this game so that Arenanet can feel good about what they’ve created. I play this game because it is fun, or at least it was.

Siobhan.3582

You do understand that with an approach like that… You will soon be crying on the boards that there is nobody to play with..

That one person.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

pretty sure it’s company policy they aren’t allowed talk about most things
to be perfectly honest, i’d want to talk to the player community as an actual human being but i wouldn’t want to lose my job either

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Zoso.8279

Interwebs 101…

“White Knights” a.k.a respectful people (white knights still complain about some features they just don’t rage or insult the developers)

Necromancer Main

Charleston Chew.1209

I haven’t liked the direction that this game has been taking, for a long time. It’s not about making amends. This is the straw that broke the camel’s back. Arenanet would have to do more than revert to pre-9/9 to get me to invest my time in this game. Simply reverting the recent changes wouldn’t be enough. They’ve shown time and time again that they refuse to implement the changes that the players want in the game, and instead they focus on crazy stuff that they think will attract new players.

I’ve given Arenanet plenty of chances. They’ve failed in many ways, but the game was at least more fun than competing games in the genre. This isn’t about giving Arenanet a chance. This is about choosing to play a better game, and hopefully one that won’t be intentionally ruined by the developers.

I don’t play this game so that Arenanet can feel good about what they’ve created. I play this game because it is fun, or at least it was.

This just in. A game which is not to everyone’s liking. The foundations of earth moved as the whole world watched in silence as 1% of it’s playerbase left and…nothing happened and life went on. Better for those who do enjoy the game, might I add.

for I shall not change.

Lisa.6102

Oh that’s not very nice now is it? :-P

Charleston Chew.1209

Works as intended. I wasn’t trying to be nice to you at all.

for I shall not change.

Substance E.4852

Many a nerve have been touched.

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

+1

On this note;

I think it’s important for a company, especially an MMO company to take what their customers say into consideration. This doesn’t mean every single customer should be listened to 100%, but if someone has something to say there must be a reasonable enough reason for them to say it. Though many people might wrongly identify an issue they experience, it’s best to listen than to just ignore waves of people.

Anet clearly have a plan and an idea for their game but it’s also important to them to understand their game is played by the players. As well as it’s important for the players to understand those making the game have a vision for it.

Many in the forums can’t understand their vision but they also don’t seem to care to make their vision clear, thus frustrating many of their players.

But then again decisions are being made which might not be just in the best interest of players, they might be forced to make real business decisions, which might be against what players want.

All in all it’s a shame they made a game with such potential that time after time is met with so much criticism (almost always with some sort of credibility) due to their unusual lack of transparency in such trivial subjects with their players.

Also a note for Anet; don’t treat people as stupid, instead teach them to be better. No one goes into a game knowing the game 100%, but to assume that means they’re dumb is insulting. Make engaging, proper, yet subtle tutorials, don’t assume people are dumb and slow.

Overall I think they had the right idea into slowly introducing the game to new players but I think they went overboard and made some not so great choices along the way. I personally think many of their decisions made with the Chinese GW2 were on the right track, but not all of it was so spot on.

Also (unfortunately for some) the fact this is a free to play MMO will mean it must do things very differently from subscription MMOs, their income style is completely different and it seems Anet have been a bit wobbly trying to figure out exactly what their main income source will be with a free to play MMO.

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

Strange logic, but somehow rings true. What ever happened to the no grind game? I am tired of mindless cypress tree farming and hours crafting for simple backpack.

Wow does ArcheAge ever look nice. At least the girl look like girls. GW is slowly turning them in to guys. LOL

Might give ArcheAge a spin while this all gets sorted out. Thanks for the tip.

Charleston Chew.1209

Wall of text crits you for 500 with tl;dr.

Sorry to inform you this game is not free to play. It is buy once, play free. Their income is the new players buying the game and the existing players buying stuff from gem store should they desire so.

The great changes to leveling system in september feature pack are sure to bring in many a new player. Your point? Sorry, I missed it.

for I shall not change.

Posted by: Frostwolve.2916

Frostwolve.2916

I am leaving for archeage myself. I don’t like the way this game is going. A lot of people don’t. This is not the first step twards self destruction for this game. I am afraid the changes I did like are a little to late. Giving the timelines the changes I really want will not ever come.

Lisa.6102

Many a nerve have been touched.

LOL a bit of Pot and Kettle I think.

Vayne.8563

+1

On this note;

I think it’s important for a company, especially an MMO company to take what their customers say into consideration. This doesn’t mean every single customer should be listened to 100%, but if someone has something to say there must be a reasonable enough reason for them to say it. Though many people might wrongly identify an issue they experience, it’s best to listen than to just ignore waves of people.

Anet clearly have a plan and an idea for their game but it’s also important to them to understand their game is played by the players. As well as it’s important for the players to understand those making the game have a vision for it.

Many in the forums can’t understand their vision but they also don’t seem to care to make their vision clear, thus frustrating many of their players.

But then again decisions are being made which might not be just in the best interest of players, they might be forced to make real business decisions, which might be against what players want.

All in all it’s a shame they made a game with such potential that time after time is met with so much criticism (almost always with some sort of credibility) due to their unusual lack of transparency in such trivial subjects with their players.

Also a note for Anet; don’t treat people as stupid, instead teach them to be better. No one goes into a game knowing the game 100%, but to assume that means they’re dumb is insulting. Make engaging, proper, yet subtle tutorials, don’t assume people are dumb and slow.

Overall I think they had the right idea into slowly introducing the game to new players but I think they went overboard and made some not so great choices along the way. I personally think many of their decisions made with the Chinese GW2 were on the right track, but not all of it was so spot on.

Also (unfortunately for some) the fact this is a free to play MMO will mean it must do things very differently from subscription MMOs, their income style is completely different and it seems Anet have been a bit wobbly trying to figure out exactly what their main income source will be with a free to play MMO.

Anet’s biggest problem is how bad their communication is. So many big outrages could have been severely reduced if Anet were just better at communicating.

There needs to be more openness and more transparency.

Sokia.3710

This just in. A game which is not to everyone’s liking. The foundations of earth moved as the whole world watched in silence as 1% of it’s playerbase left and…nothing happened and life went on. Better for those who do enjoy the game, might I add.

Fortunately for me, I live in a little thing that I like to call “reality”

So, your made-up statistics have no effect on me. YOU can watch in silence as a percentage of the playerbase WHICH NEITHER YOU NOR I HAVE ANY METHOD OF ESTIMATING leaves the game. For your sake, I hope that “nothing happens” when I and people like myself stop playing. It would look pretty bad for a developer to manage their game so horribly that they literally kill it with their own decisions.

But, I think we all know that your “1% of the playerbase” number that you pulled out of thin air is full of the proverbial brown substance.

Charleston Chew.1209

So, your made-up statistics have no effect on me. YOU can watch in silence as a percentage of the playerbase WHICH NEITHER YOU NOR I HAVE ANY METHOD OF ESTIMATING leaves the game. For your sake, I hope that “nothing happens” when I and people like myself stop playing. It would look pretty bad for a developer to manage their game so horribly that they literally kill it with their own decisions.

But, I think we all know that your “1% of the playerbase” number that you pulled out of thin air is full of the proverbial brown substance.

For me, you and people of your mindset is what is killing the game. No matter what % of the populace you make the game will be better for me (and in my opinion for anyone of my mindset) when/if you leave the game.

for I shall not change.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Probably not 1% but absolutely not a huge number. Every time a game company posts numbers of player posting or visiting the forums it is tiny. This is across all genres.

Substance E.4852

+1

On this note;

Anet’s biggest problem is how bad their communication is. So many big outrages could have been severely reduced if Anet were just better at communicating.

There needs to be more openness and more transparency.

I’d like to think they are still “vacationing” and they will resume their suddenly much more open dialogue. They were doing it right just before they all went on a booze cruise or w/e.

No small amount of breath holding on my personal end to find out wtf happened to Frost Spirit.

Posted by: La Goanna.8142

La Goanna.8142

Been reading the statements from Colin and other devs. It’s just more backpedaling and avoidance of the real complaints at hand. If Anet was honest, they’d admit to their mistakes and this patch and inform their fans that they could revert the changes. Instead they’re keeping silent, hoping it’ll fly over everyones’ heads in due time.

The game is slowly taking the steps needed to achieve the free2play but pay2win mentality. At this rate I’m not going to be surprised at all of they introduce the VIP membership passes with the November living story update.

(edited by La Goanna.8142)

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

Wall of text crits you for 500 with tl;dr.

Sorry to inform you this game is not free to play. It is buy once, play free. Their income is the new players buying the game and the existing players buying stuff from gem store should they desire so.

The great changes to leveling system in september feature pack are sure to bring in many a new player. Your point? Sorry, I missed it.

?

What?

Also by free to play I meant you play it for free. You buy it to have it but unlike most MMOs which must be payed to play, this one is free to play which will dramatically influence the way they need to make income.

I’m aware you need to buy it, I also bought it.

Also something misunderstood, just because those complaining might be a minority (which as a matter of fact I’m not certain it is or isn’t, or how small of a minority it might even be) doesn’t mean they should be ignored or that their significance in acquisition is neglect able.

It may be true that very few players leave at a time, but if players are leaving the game there’s a reason. If veteran players are leaving the game because they’ve endured too much dissatisfaction then that’s a problem. If everyone playing the game for long enough will by definition become a veteran and thus become exposed to the probability which will cause them to leave, eventually what will become of your MMO?

After all with time every new player will either become a veteran or leave. It’s important for them to have the hook but also the catch, they’ve focused entirely on the hook and have for two years almost but completely ignored the catch.

Why should your players stay? Do you even want them to stay? Or is your goal just erratic log ins in hope of getting spontaneous income? If so what’s the future of your game? How long can it live? What sort of reputation will your company achieve?

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

Interwebs 101…

Do keep your white knight comments where sun does not shine honey. Or does the fact I enjoy the game while leveling 11th char (having completed 10 personal and living stories) bother you much? Tell me more about that.

#nottoxicatall

Posted by: Frostwolve.2916

Frostwolve.2916

Posted by: Critwrench.8432

Critwrench.8432

You mean the dev tracker with zero posts on the leveling changes?

A shallow ocean only contains as much water as a particularly deep bucket.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

dumb thread….they’ve been far from silent.

they aren’t going to fall to their knees and profess their sorrow/regret to you.
the fact that they even acknowledged the terrible leveling rework is amazing.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Robert.4197

Robert.4197

[

“In most games, you go out, and you have really fun tasks, occasionally, that you get to do, and the rest of the game is this boring grind to get to the fun stuff. ‘I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. Hey! I swung it again.’ That’s great. We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that. No one finds it fun.” ~ A Sword Swinging Backpeddler

And people wonder why Anet won’t talk to them. A quote from a four year old video is still being quoted today and used as a weapon of sorts.

Anet should just shut up and stop saying anything. It might come back to haunt them.

quote=4394206;Vayne.8563:]

+1

On this note;

There needs to be more openness and more transparency.[/quote]

I’m confused, was this other post just sarcasm?

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

What Dev Tracker says about the leveling changes is that they’re honestly proud of the work their team have done.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Actually they dont, on this one they listened to the community.

Just like traits

Just like ascended gear

So yeah.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Vayne.8563

What Dev Tracker says about the leveling changes is that they’re honestly proud of the work their team have done.

And rightly so. Because they have to worry about more than just us.

I managed a store and if someone came to me with concerns about my employees, I’d listen to them, and then generally defend my employees.

I wouldn’t necessarily say the customer was wrong, but the fact is, many times what the customer was complaining about wasn’t the fault of the employee. On a more important note, what if Chris didn’t defend the employee.

How would a customer feel if I said, look, I know Richie is a problem but he’s the best I can get?

As soon as you start blaming your employees people will start calling for heads, and that helps no one. Particularly if employees aren’t at fault. WHere does the fault lie? Management? Miscommunication? Sabotage even? No one really knows.

But yes, when employees see a manager stand up for them, in increases their loyalty to the company.

And you know, like it or not, Anet worked really kitten this patch and if I were an employee, I’d feel shattered. The fact is, just as a decency thing, I’d support an employee and if they did something wrong, I’d talk to them in private later. No one really deserves levels of ridicule and hate that are being poured on Anet employees right now.

Sokia.3710

For me, you and people of your mindset is what is killing the game. No matter what % of the populace you make the game will be better for me (and in my opinion for anyone of my mindset) when/if you leave the game.

Well, thanks for actually having the reproductive organs to admit that. If this is really the direction that Arenanet wants to take this game, then I will leave this game to you and the other people who like this kind of content. As for myself, I definitely do not feel that this is game that I bought, and if I had known on release that Arenanet would take this game in this direction I seriously would have considered getting something else. Not that I regret my purchase. I had a lot of fun with this game. But, I’m not convinced that I would have bought it over something else that released in 2012 had I known the long-term direction that Arenanet would take with this game.

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

Sorry Slappy but that is not how it works. We are paying costumers and we devoted a lot of time to this game. We made our purchases because we liked what we saw. Now they are turning a Rembrandt into a Picasso; I didn’t pay for the Picasso, I paid for the Rembrandt, but it’s as if some overbearing piece of **** walked into my house and changed what was hanging on my wall and telling me it’s for my own good while all I could do was sit there and watch them do it.

This Communization is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I have, they are posting about everything except the problems at hand.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: kiwiburner.2186

kiwiburner.2186

I love the demonization of “white knighting”, like it’s the worst thing you can do to stand up for the work on a game you love by a game developer that has, by in large, done a very good job.

This subforum appears to have a surfeit of nerdrage, and the bandwagonning going on here is really boring.

But after reading several of these threads I see that it is a vocal minority. Mostly kittened off key farmers or OP classes upset by balance changes. Other than that, a bunch of people have just gone off the deep end, probably because nerdraging is cathartic for them

“poopsock made it past the filters!” -stinkypants.8419