JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

Next

Just getting these out there so we know we are all in agreement:

1) Conditions seem a bit strong
2) World bosses are currently too easy
3) There are some bugged skills and traits
4) There are some overpowered builds

We won’t fix it all at once but these are four large topics we are talking about. In the meantime keep the feedback and bug reports coming, and I guess farm up some world bosses. We are dedicating time towards these issues and are intending to resolve them as quickly as possible. As we have said before, the live environment differs too greatly from anything we can reliably simulate internally so big changes like today’s build will cause things to sometimes change at an alarming rateTM.

Thanks for your patience,

Jon

Things we know

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

do you also know the client wont let us download the game? it was fine for a few hours then i closed it after update and it didnt restart the game it said errors retrying and this has been happening to many of us for 5 + hours

Things we know

Posted by: Azel.4786

Azel.4786

Glad to hear it…. jumped in PVP and ppl are melting left and right, even using tanky stats like soldiers don’t help much against the insane damage output.

Things we know

Posted by: Peacock.6412

Peacock.6412

Thank you for the update, and also thank you for the changes to Quaggans, best part of the day for me and many of my guild

Unashamedly Qoo Qoo for Quaggans!

Things we know

Posted by: Fozee.1083

Fozee.1083

Things are known.

BioWare/Mythic Moderator, Terror Squid, and Funparty

Things we know

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

1) Burning seem a bit strong

FTFY. You nerfed bleeding

Things we know

Posted by: skowcia.8257

skowcia.8257

Power builds are too strong as well. You can 1 shot people. Its broken.

obey me

Things we know

Posted by: Sylvain Ice.5827

Sylvain Ice.5827

Jon: What [EG] Ethereal Guardians noticed at Teq was that quickness stacked up to 2 minutes. Quickness, combined with strong vulnerability, compounded all the other effects playing into why everything seems broken.

Things we know

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Just please be kind to mesmers. I almost feel like we are in the meta, just please let us be good before you make us weak again

Things we know

Posted by: Genlog.4983

Genlog.4983

thx for the info i hope to see some good world boss fights again
and not some brainless attacking and dead in a seconds

Things we know

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

In the meantime keep the feedback and bug reports coming, and I guess farm up some world bosses.

For those of us actively posting in our class or bug forums, would Reds mind posting or confirming bugs so we can move to providing feedback on meaningful things and not burn cycles on confirmed issues?

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

Things we know

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

Please bring back trapper’s expertise with ground targeting.

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!

Things we know

Posted by: Cheshire.8761

Cheshire.8761

Are you going to address how you forced characters to train into builds using their hero points without their consent? :o

Things we know

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

We won’t fix it all at once but these are four large topics we are talking about. In the meantime keep the feedback and bug reports coming, and I guess farm up some world bosses. We are dedicating time towards these issues and are intending to resolve them as quickly as possible. As we have said before, the live environment differs too greatly from anything we can reliably simulate internally so big changes like today’s build will cause things to sometimes change at an alarming rateTM.

Jon

Just… YES. Can’t say anything has re-assured me in this game as much as this simply post has. The fact that you came out an acknowledged some issues, well it’s a breath of fresh air to me. So for that Thank you Jon, take as much time as you need, the fact that you acknowledge the issues is all I ever ask. (cough cough, still waiting to hear about Lupi cough cough, but don’t take that with any negativity Jon, what you just did was strait awesome).

Things we know

Posted by: KhittyKhat.2601

KhittyKhat.2601

Don’t forget about Silverwastes. The Mordrem burned so hard that Smokey Bear had to intervene.

Things we know

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

the meta has changed at an alarming rate

Things we know

Posted by: Tawngs.8250

Tawngs.8250

Jon

Tell my Ranger his condition damage seems a bit strong. He’s still laughing.

Things we know

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

1) Burning seem a bit strong

FTFY. You nerfed bleeding

Yes. Also please look for skills and classes causing the problems before nerfing across an entire condi type. Cough cough guardian burning cough cough

Nerf guardian burn stacks and see if the world bosses aren’t a little slower to down.

Also, maybe this should be a hint that blurring lines between pvp/pve doesn’t work in anything but theories and hopes.

(edited by wwwes.1398)

Things we know

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

Jon, can we get this STICKERED onto the top of the discussion forums. We can avoid many redundant posts by doing so.

Things we know

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Jon

Just… YES. Can’t say anything has re-assured me in this game as much as this simply post has. The fact that you came out an acknowledged some issues, well it’s a breath of fresh air to me. So for that Thank you Jon, take as much time as you need, the fact that you acknowledge the issues is all I ever ask. (cough cough, still waiting to hear about Lupi cough cough, but don’t take that with any negativity Jon, what you just did was strait awesome).

Yes I agree this is much much better then the wall of silence.

Things we know

Posted by: Beautilation.7915

Beautilation.7915

love it tbh

An Error Prevented Saving:
Message Body length must at least be 15.

Things we know

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Who woulda thunk it that taking the cap off condis and changing everything to stacking would be a bit much. At least it’s been acknowledged now and we won’t have to six months for balancing to take place, hopefully.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Things we know

Jerus.4350

Jon

Yes I agree this is much much better then the wall of silence.

I don’t want to derail from this post, but god kitten , I can’t emphasize enough at how much my view of ANet improved by this singular post. Just… amazing. THIS is what we want. An open development team, accepting the shortcomings, and knowing it’s priority. Even if it’s not a priority, it’s nice to know. “hey we know there’s an issue here, but it’s a tough one to crack, and we have a lot on our plate so it may take a while” would be just as amazing to me.

Again, Thanks Jon, sorry to slightly derail, but yeah, this openness is, just… ugh, so nice. Can’t help but think some of my buddies would still be around if we saw this more often.

Things we know

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

Previous

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

Next

Are you going to address how you forced characters to train into builds using their hero points without their consent? :o

Why not. Basically there were two options, both with a large number of edge cases.

1) We wipe your stuff and let you respec as you see fit. Because so much had changed this was our initial plan. Here are problems it ran into.

• People return from a long hiatus and don’t remember what they were running
  • People log in and the first thing they have to do before they can play is learn both the new unlocking system and the new build system.

2) We look at what you had equipped and unlock the necessary skills and traits to re-equip you. Here were some discussions points around that:

• We might give you stuff you don’t want
  • at least this won’t matter for lvl 80s if we make all the unlocks possible by just reaching lvl 80.

There is a third option which I’m sure you will bring up.
3) let players choose
Here are some reasons we did not go with that:

• Its twice the work
  • Its actually more than twice the work because it would have required temporarily saving both options until you choose which is more complex technical work.
  • People who were unlikely to understand or want to explore the new system were going to be potentially more confused by the choice.

At the end of the day we wanted to ship this build so we had to decide. Based on instinct we erred on the side of helping people we thought would be more overwhelmed by the opposite choice, and I would make that choice again because it has less edge cases, impacts more expert users, and leans towards over unlocking for free to benefit most of the edge cases anyway.

Hope this info helps you understand our process a bit more.

Thanks,

Jon

(edited by JonPeters.5630)

Things we know

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

Condi damage being a bit too strong is not a bad thing! Power was strong for 3 years before you finally brought Condi damage up!

Things we know

Posted by: Kamikazi.5380

Kamikazi.5380

How did you not know 8k burn ticks wasn’t already too strong? Everyone’s getting nuked in PvP, whether it be Power dmg or Condi dmg.

Things we know

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I just hope they don’t get tunnel vision on conditions. Right now, it feels literally pointless to have toughness. 3.1k toughness 20k hp as a Knights Necro, I still die in like 2-3 hits which happens so kitten fast. Necros are also “OP” because we can practically afk send people back THEIR massive dps, not our own.

So much for “we’re moving toward slower and more strategic gameplay,” this is anything but. :/

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Things we know

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Unfortunately, Anet loves the no pve pvp split concept. Any change in pvp = change in pve.

Rightfully so – it’s pretty annoying when switching from wvw to pvp and everything is different. For thief it’s now 4 sec instead of 3 in pve revealed – and I can’t get used to that = I don’t play pvp.
And maybe it would also be annoying when pvp and wvw were merged wheras pve had a different mechanic.

Edit: Grammar

Things we know

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

1) Conditions seem a bit strong Burning is way too strong compared to bleed, and bleed application is too weak on certain classes.

FTFY

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Things we know

Jerus.4350

Why not. Basically there were two options, both with a large number of edge cases.

1) We wipe your stuff and let you respec as you see fit. Because so much had changed this was our initial plan. Here are problems it ran into.

• People log in and the first thing they have to do before they can play is learn both the new unlocking system and the new build system.

2) We look at what you had equipped and unlock the necessary skills and traits to re-equip you. Here were some discussions points around that:

• at least this won’t matter for lvl 80s if we make all the unlocks possible by just reaching lvl 80.

3) let players choose

• Its twice the work
  • Its actually more than twice the work because it would have required temporarily saving both options until you choose which is more complex technical work.
  • People who were unlikely to understand or want to explore the new system were going to be potentially more confused by the choice.

At the end of the day we wanted to ship this build so we had to decide. Based on instinct we erred on the side of helping people we thought would be more overwhelmed by the opposite choice, and I would make that choice again because it has less edge cases, impacts more expert users, and leans towards over unlocking for free to benefit most of the edge cases anyway.

Thanks,

Jon

My god, Jon, I think I developed a mancrush. If you ever want to go on a mandate I’m down. Seriously, the way you composed this… kyaaa.

While I personally would have prefered the “let the players choose” method, I can’t argue with the logic behind your decision at all. So far I’ve been able to unlock EVERYTHING on each character I own. I may see some trouble in the future with HoT specializations, but I’m ok with working to get the points to do so. Really, god, Jon, if I could have had the feedback you’re giving throughout my gameplay here, well, I wouldn’t be so skeptical about everything ANet does. <3 you!

Things we know

Posted by: sweatycool.9624

sweatycool.9624

RIP Buffed conditions, didn’t even last.

Back to the berserker meta i guess….

As what my mighty Norn says, EAT MORE BACON

- I Eat Bacon, from Ferguson’s Crossing.

Things we know

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

SCREAM Why would you trait all eles to EARTH. ALL OF THEM. WHY?? I had no points in Earth, WHY? My ten other under level 80’s were all given stats that were appropriate but every ele, every last one, was given Earth. Every ele I ask got Earth too. WHY?

I’m not going to grind to 80 just so ‘everything is unlocked’ to fix your mistake, that’s bullkitten and you know it. I’m not going to do 60 hero challenges to fix your mistake, that is also bullkitten. Why, just why? I’m playing with a handicap now if I want to enjoy those toons instead of the boost every other toon on my account got.

ARGH.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Things we know

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

Not to tell y’all how to test, but… I watched Golem Mark II. That’s where you see how this stuff works against a brick wall. 90 stacks of bleed? Slightly faster melt than usual. 40 stacks of burning? Dead in less than a minute.

Nerf burning (heck, just the stacks of guardian burn) and leave everything else. Watch as it all evens out. In PvE anyway, because that’s the only place condis needed a buff in the first place.

(edited by wwwes.1398)

Things we know

Linken.6345

RIP Buffed conditions, didn’t even last.

Back to the berserker meta i guess….

Well atleast we have the memory we can say -Rememeber that day conditions were usefull
Then nod at eachother -yea I can

Things we know

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Actually the condi stuff isn’t so bad.

It’s the lack of balancing in consideration of the stats boost that is the problem.
Seriously, necro Lich form auto attack now is 7k against a light class with celestial amulet, it needed to be nerfed in accordance to the new stats.

Also, because of how that condi and power stuff favors heavy classes d/d elementalists will have only 1 viable build to bunker into just to survive. And why did you nerf d/d ele mobility?

Other things are really good, staff ele is much more viable in WvW.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

Things we know

Posted by: Peacock.6412

Peacock.6412

SCREAM Why would you trait all eles to EARTH. ALL OF THEM. WHY?? I had no points in Earth, WHY? My ten other under level 80’s were all given stats that were appropriate but every ele, every last one, was given Earth. Every ele I ask got Earth too. WHY?

I’m not going to grind to 80 just so ‘everything is unlocked’ to fix your mistake, that’s bullkitten and you know it. I’m not going to do 60 hero challenges to fix your mistake, that is also bullkitten. Why, just why? I’m playing with a handicap now if I want to enjoy those toons instead of the boost every other toon on my account got.

ARGH.

Not true. My level 80 ele spawned this morning with Fire, Water and Arcane, which is exactly the three lines I intended on taking. I actually ended up only having to change about three traits within those lines and Luci was good to go.

Unashamedly Qoo Qoo for Quaggans!

Things we know

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

I’m not going to grind to 80

Then don’t.

Things we know

Posted by: Lyrrados.4269

Lyrrados.4269

ARGH.

eh? Must have been a small sample. My elementalist who is 67 doesn’t have a single hero point in Earth. Pic attached.

Attachments:

Things we know

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Lucky you because everyone I spoke to under or at 30 has Earth =/ I wish I’d spawned with even Arcane or Fire.

My level 80 spawned with Air, Fire, and Earth but could unlock whatever she wanted. These two eles are now handicapped.. yay.. super yay.. yay.. thanks Anet.. yay.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Things we know

Posted by: Daegony.3604

Daegony.3604

3) let players choose

• Its twice the work

Thanks,

Jon

Does it break anything if you just add a “refund hero points” button? That way you can just let the game re-build your choices and if your not satisfied, just refund the points and assign them to what you need/want. Just a suggestion anyway =D

Things we know

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

It’s the lack of balancing in consideration of the stats boost that is the problem.
Seriously, necro Lich form auto attack now is 7k against a light class with celestial amulet, it needed to be nerfed in accordance to the new stats.

Also, because of how that condi and power stuff favors heavy classes d/d elementalists will have only 1 viable build to bunker into just to survive. And why did you nerf d/d ele mobility?

Yeah sure, because Lich didn’t just eat another 5 second nerf so it is now only 15 seconds with 1 pulsing stack of stab which means most classes can CC / block / invuln /escape /hide to break LoS the complete Lich transformation without any major problems.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Things we know

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

Mesmers and thieves pulling off insane bursts from stealth, mesmers stacking insane amounts of stealth, medi guards pulling off crazy bursts with huge burns, condis in general…

Glad Anet has its fingers on the meta’s pulse. Hoping for quick and frequent balance passes.

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

Things we know

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Yeah sure, because Lich didn’t just eat another 5 second nerf so it is now only 15 seconds with 1 pulsing stack of stab which means most classes can CC / block / invuln /escape /hide to break LoS the complete Lich transformation without any major problems.

They can buff your mobility and stability without having you 2-shot people with your auto-attack.

Things we know

Linken.6345

ARGH.

eh? Must have been a small sample. My elementalist who is 67 doesn’t have a single hero point in Earth. Pic attached.

Would be funny if all this was that both his/her elementalists loged out attuned to earth and thats why he/she got it.

Things we know

Linken.6345

Lucky you because everyone I spoke to under or at 30 has Earth =/ I wish I’d spawned with even Arcane or Fire.

My level 80 spawned with Air, Fire, and Earth but could unlock whatever she wanted. These two eles are now handicapped.. yay.. super yay.. yay.. thanks Anet.. yay.

Your 80 is handicapped how? I would assume you unlock all core before you are able to go into elite specs.

Things we know

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

Previous

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

Next

3) let players choose

• Its twice the work

Thanks,

Jon

Does it break anything if you just add a “refund hero points” button? That way you can just let the game re-build your choices and if your not satisfied, just refund the points and assign them to what you need/want. Just a suggestion anyway =D

It actually breaks everything. The point of a system with more points that points to spend is to allow players to both eventually unlock everything and to bank for future unlocks. If you take a system like that and allow people to refund in it you break both of these fundamental reasons for the system existing. There are two ways to go with any system that has points spent.

1) Let people continue to earn and continue to progress
2) Limit the amount people can progress or spec and make a refund system.

This new system actually contains aspects of both of these. On the side of unlocking we went with a “keep making progress” system where players would eventually get all of the things they want and more, the more they played. We felt like for unlocks this is a better system because it gives people more to unlock and it doesn’t put pressure on a refund system to make the most basic functionality of having stuff work.

On the build side of things (and this is a general principle of GW2) we went with a make choices and refund system. The choices being which skills, specs and traits you select and the respec process being basically free once everything is unlocked.

Jon

Things we know

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Please, for a love of whatever of the GW God’s you choose…get a test server. It is just unacceptable to me personally to see an entire game get unbalanced and the community have to play the waiting game until things are corrected.

This happens, because as bright as the people balancing things are, they simply cannot predict what is going to happen in a mass environment with live players. Can run all the algorithms in the world and that won’t stop a few players from devising a way to totally ruin the game.

Also, I don’t think we should pin this on conditions being too strong. I think everything is too strong.

Things we know

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

and some overpowered skills and abilities in PvE

hint: icebow 4

[qT] Quantify

Things we know

Posted by: KhainPride.3987

KhainPride.3987

Anet, It seems your posting here a lot. So I will post this.

I just logged on to my warrior and berserker power trait does not work with longbow

Things we know

Posted by: xitsLuisx.2480

xitsLuisx.2480

so what you mean is, necro nerf again? because why not…