This game feels more like a OLG

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Avatar.1923

it depends a LOT on how you play the game.

imo, the “internet information” is breaking the game more than helping it.

players have no patience for junping puzzles; they google the answer.
players have no patience to test builds and weapons; they google one.
players just google the game.

in the end, players are screwing it for themselves.
mostly.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

basically, the players are changing and the game needs to adapt.

the players want the farm/grind.

most of them dont care for a rewardless jumping puzzle.
most of them dont care for exploration, they follow a “leveling up guide”.

kitten sad.

Posted by: Lunastra.1098

Lunastra.1098

Well, I don’t think this will remove anyone’s problem, I just wanted to state I don’t feel like the game discourages grouping up with people and talking – at least for me. I tend to play with random people: I help them do hearts and events that I’ve done before, I chat with people on map chat, I chat with my guild.. I actually get stuff done & have fun while doing so! Also, if you feel like you can’t do anything with your guild, can’t you organize something? The guild I’m in has had quizzes (lore-related, for instance), hide-n-seek games, WvWvW nights (let’s go get our borderlands back!), fractals, dungeons, clearing areas such as Queensdale while helping other players in that area, a “charrs only”-night, roleplay-night..

Sometimes you can’t expect the game company to give you everything, but instead create your own content and your own fun with your guild or a group of random friends! After all.. Isn’t that what your community is for? Having fun and coming up with stuff to do together? :)

(Sorry, if this post seems completely meaningless)

Posted by: Aether the Nob.9172

Aether the Nob.9172

Isn’t that what your community is for? Having fun and coming up with stuff to do together?

^^ This

Posted by: stjf.7180

stjf.7180

Well, I don’t think this will remove anyone’s problem, I just wanted to state I don’t feel like the game discourages grouping up with people and talking – at least for me. I tend to play with random people: I help them do hearts and events that I’ve done before, I chat with people on map chat, I chat with my guild.. I actually get stuff done & have fun while doing so! Also, if you feel like you can’t do anything with your guild, can’t you organize something? The guild I’m in has had quizzes (lore-related, for instance), hide-n-seek games, WvWvW nights (let’s go get our borderlands back!), fractals, dungeons, clearing areas such as Queensdale while helping other players in that area, a “charrs only”-night, roleplay-night..

Sometimes you can’t expect the game company to give you everything, but instead create your own content and your own fun with your guild or a group of random friends! After all.. Isn’t that what your community is for? Having fun and coming up with stuff to do together?

(Sorry, if this post seems completely meaningless)

That’s exactly what makes GW special to me. I’ve never known another online game where people would help each other out on things that they’ve already done or do any of the great things that we can do all together. Most other games I’ve played people just spitefully try to steal each other’s kills.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

If you don’t ever bother talking to or grouping with players unless you have to, do you really like talking to and grouping with players?

If no, why would you want the game to force you to?

Sometimes I don’t want to, so I don’t. When I do want to though, I’ve never had any problem doing so.

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

the thing I really love about this game is that you can just go solo and enjoy yourself and still have the option to run with a group if your feeling more social. better to have options you dont want to use right now, than have no options at all.

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

it depends a LOT on how you play the game.

imo, the “internet information” is breaking the game more than helping it.

players have no patience for junping puzzles; they google the answer.
players have no patience to test builds and weapons; they google one.
players just google the game.

in the end, players are screwing it for themselves.
mostly.

Well since you can’t change those factors, it’s up to the designers to make the game fun and non-trivial. They have not done that.

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

I loved skyrim too, hell I still play it and yeah I have put about 400+ hours into it as well. If you compare them on RPG, story or gameplay merit Skyrim is going to come ahead in every regard.

The advantages of a game like guildwars2 is its more social, and it should be more addictive. However the main problem I can see with guildwars 2, is its loot is actually worse than Skyrim or any other game that has loot in it period, if you want people to become addicted to instant gratification there has to be gratification.

Socially this game is rather inept as well, not too surprising given its designed for “people who hate MMO’s” lol, which is rather silly since the main strength of an MMO is the community and capability for social activities, neither of which this game capitalizes on.

Let us not forget that even a beloved game like Skyrim has its treasure drop problems!
Many of the ‘special’ rewards were just junk – only good for selling. The ‘randomness’ of these games makes getting decent gear nearly impossible at times. 99% of the stuff I was finding was just hauled back to a vendor to sell so I could buy potions or other items. Almost all the time the stuff you found on your own was completely worthless.

After playing +90% of the content I reverted to a LVL15-20 save file and simply used the console to outfit myself and companion with decent gear. The result? Not quite as good as one would expect. We could hit harder and were less ‘squishy’ but at the end of the day I still had to PLAY the game – simply having decent gear did not make it like I was in ‘god mode’ or anything. I was refreshing to know that the ‘gear’ was not holding me back, maybe my toon build and play style instead.

I don’t take issue with the Gear in GW2 – the Karma vendors have supplied me with way better stuff than I could make myself or buy off kitten vendor.

I do agree with what others are saying that this game ‘feels’ like a single player game where others are around. However, I also agree that I don’t wish to be ‘forced’ into a group if I don’t wish to. The random groupings/helping and getting help is fine for me.

I figure WvW is for the actual ‘guild wars’ where being in a guild/group is not optional.

I’m not sure how to make this game more ‘social’ as this is the first game in recent memory where there are ‘others’ playing at the same time as I’am.

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

Posted by: chronus.1326

chronus.1326

I think GW2, is at the end of the day, what each individual user makes of it.

Sandboxes don’t make good MMOs.

I meant as a unique experience for individuals, not as in a complete sandbox, I don’t want people to start building all over the place and leaving their mark like some cheap housing scheme gone wrong XD. I think the optional bits are what draw some people to the game, as if they don’t want to do it, they can do something else that they enjoy and get an equivalent reward if that’s what they’re in it for.

I have no idea if we share the same idea of a good MMO, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure and all that.
MMO itself is a fluid term, so maybe GW2 is a semi- open-worldish-RPG-MMO-part-RTS-nonlinear-in-places-linear-etc-etc beast that aims to cater for a lot of different tastes and does fairly well considering.

Hopefully more content will be added to make sure that people who want to use deep strategy and team work can do, giving a reason to talk to others but that is still accessible to the generally soloing player, who goes “Hey I feel like working in an organised team today.”

It’s pretty tough to get the balance right, too much optional stuff and those that like to be guided on an adventure get bored, and too much compulsory stuff and people who like wandering and exploring of their own accord get bored. Same with grouping and solo. Good luck ANet!

Societies are built on rules and roles.
If you take those away they stop being societies.

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

“Too much stuff here is optional”

Yes.

The game gives you the option of talking to people, not when you are forced to, but rather when you want to.

If you are playing the game by yourself, without never trying to interact with people simply because the game is not forcing you to… Why are you playing a MMO, again?

I play solo almost exclusively, and I am playing an MMO because I like playing against other people (not AI) competitively in an RPG format. Any other questions?

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

So what the OP is saying…. because people are not forced to interact with each other, you’re not interested in this game. Interesting, now I see why other games never interested me since they forced me to interact with others against my will.

chronus.1326

So what the OP is saying…. because people are not forced to interact with each other, you’re not interested in this game. Interesting, now I see why other games never interested me since they forced me to interact with others against my will.

The alternative equals a game of soccer where everyone has a ball and the illusion of difficultity is defined only by the size of the goal.

Guild Wars 2 not only does not promote teamwork but downright promotes solo play because of the heavy repair cost penalty that you get if you fail.

This generates elitism even among people who are masochistic enough to team play, which alienates the bottom tier of a community, which is usually 70% of a community, which then is further alienated by the extending top tier of armor sets that Nexon is forcing down people’s throats now.

In the end what remains?
The lore and the story is as long-lasting as any single-player game’s and the e-sport PvP is a different animal that strives no matter what the game’s system is (thus it should never be a target group which a game is catered to).

It will live the lifespan of a singleplayer game then with the last apologist gone and everyone finally recovering from Post-purchase Rationalization it’s gonna die the death of apathy like most of the other mayflies in the genre.

The novelity is ilusionary.
The “new things” are actually not objectively better than previouisly.

• The new quest system is not objectively more effective than “hunting exclamation marks” because it takes away the ability to stack quests in a quest log and the repetitiveness of the events break the suspension of disbelief.
  • The open world actually hinders convenient server-to-server movement and it does not hold a community together as much as the instanced system where people could only meet up in cities and outposts.
  • The skill point money costs were a better money sink than the repair and WP costs because they actually contributed to your progress, rather than just being thinly veiled taxes that you pay so the weak-minded would turn to buying gems from real money and converting it for gold, which if effectively a hidden subscription fee.
  • The Elite Skill capturing and the profession-specific armors provided unque experience for all classes throughout the ENTIRE game, not just the first 15-20 levels, and also something to work your each character towards to, making alting a worthwhile thing, while also extending character progress outside of the rims of the maximum level cap.
  • The Double profession system generated community cooperation in creating builds and made GvG and PvP a constant change of meta where your job was to overcome the current meta with a better designed build and teamwork combination, effectively making victories earned and worked for, not just a matter of numbers (WvW) or who had to scratch his elbow at that time instead of dodging (sPvP).

I can completely understand why this is so hard to accept.

It’s because it is so absolutely horrible compared to the first one that everyone is looking for the candid camera staff to jump out and scream “You are on TV!”.

It is so bad that it is unrealistic. It is not something that anyone would expect from ArenaNet. People are looking for some kind of an incomprehensible divine masterplan, or something of the sort, because even that is more believable than just screwing up this hard.

“It must be our fault for not comprehending their vast intellect and how this game succeeds in everything imaginable”

“We must be not playing it the right way.”

Well… uuhh…
No.
It’s just bad.
That’s it.
That’s all.
The end.

Credits.

(edited by chronus.1326)

stjf.7180

I think GW2, is at the end of the day, what each individual user makes of it.

Sandboxes don’t make good MMOs.

I meant as a unique experience for individuals, not as in a complete sandbox, I don’t want people to start building all over the place and leaving their mark like some cheap housing scheme gone wrong XD. I think the optional bits are what draw some people to the game, as if they don’t want to do it, they can do something else that they enjoy and get an equivalent reward if that’s what they’re in it for.

I have no idea if we share the same idea of a good MMO, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure and all that.
MMO itself is a fluid term, so maybe GW2 is a semi- open-worldish-RPG-MMO-part-RTS-nonlinear-in-places-linear-etc-etc beast that aims to cater for a lot of different tastes and does fairly well considering.

Hopefully more content will be added to make sure that people who want to use deep strategy and team work can do, giving a reason to talk to others but that is still accessible to the generally soloing player, who goes “Hey I feel like working in an organised team today.”

It’s pretty tough to get the balance right, too much optional stuff and those that like to be guided on an adventure get bored, and too much compulsory stuff and people who like wandering and exploring of their own accord get bored. Same with grouping and solo. Good luck ANet!

Societies are built on rules and roles.
If you take those away they stop being societies.

I don’t really see what that has to do with what FatFox says.

Posted by: ElixireL.5190

ElixireL.5190

I don’t have real life friends who play games online, and finding it fairly hard to team up with people unless I stand outside Ascalonian Catacombs.

Most people seem happy to solo or play with people they already know. I changed from EU Underworld server to a US server because the former felt really empty and there were non-english speaking players. So now i need to stay up late to catch the bulk of american players online.

I’ve come across some skill points (notably Blasted Moors ) that seem designed for a group raid that needs some strategic planning, extremely hard to take solo, because the darn things respawn very quickly…

stjf.7180

The alternative equals a game of soccer where everyone has a ball and the illusion of difficultity is defined only by the size of the goal.

Guild Wars 2 not only does not promote teamwork but downright promotes solo play because of the heavy repair cost penalty that you get if you fail.

This generates elitism even among people who are masochistic enough to team play, which alienates the bottom tier of a community, which is usually 70% of a community, which then is further alienated by the extending top tier of armor sets that Nexon is forcing down people’s throats now.

In the end what remains?
The lore and the story is as long-lasting as any single-player game’s and the e-sport PvP is a different animal that strives no matter what the game’s system is (thus it should never be a target group which a game is catered to).

It will live the lifespan of a singleplayer game then with the last apologist gone and everyone finally recovering from Post-purchase Rationalization it’s gonna die the death of apathy like most of the other mayflies in the genre.

The novelity is ilusionary.
The “new things” are actually not objectively better than previouisly.

I can completely understand why this is so hard to accept.

It’s because it is so absolutely horrible compared to the first one that everyone is looking for the candid camera staff to jump out and scream “You are on TV!”.

It is so bad that it is unrealistic. It is not something that anyone would expect from ArenaNet. People are looking for some kind of an incomprehensible divine masterplan, or something of the sort, because even that is more believable than just screwing up this hard.

“It must be our fault for not comprehending their vast intellect and how this game succeeds in everything imaginable”

“We must be not playing it the right way.”

Well… uuhh…
No.
It’s just bad.
That’s it.
That’s all.
The end.

Credits.

Surely high repair costs promote teamwork more than soloing? If soloing you’re more likely to be overwhelmed by mobs and die. As a group you are far more likely to survive, and therefore not pay so many high repair costs. I actually think high repair costs is a good factor in that sense.

You seem to think the story, max levelling and getting the best gear is all there is to a game. On an online multiplayer like GW you can do all sorts of things, go adventuring with a friend and have fun. As lunastra said at the top of this page, their guild does hide-n-seek nights, quizzes on lore, themed gatherings, wvw nights. You can do all sorts of things together, and that GW facilitates us all to be able to have fun with friends in a beautiful setting is what makes it a fun game to play.

I for one will play the game for much longer than a single player game. I’ll drop in to wvw matches or wander around with friends in years to come, and I’m sure there are thousands who will do likewise. Perhaps we are also the thousands who play the game to have fun with hide-n-seek nights and the like.

There were some things that I liked in GW1, double profession was something I liked. The reality is though is that that could never work in the GW2 engine, and I’m fine with that. There’s plenty of variety within classes to keep me amused. If I get bored of my engineer I’ll swap to my elementalist (who couldn’t enjoy playing around with the lightening hammer!).

I’m not looking for a divine masterplan of any sorts. GW2 as you see it now is GW2, any changes are going to be minor tinkering or new areas. I like that, I like GW2 as it stands and the fact that it is so busy with so many servers suggests that many people think likewise.

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Welcome to an SinglePlayer MMO!

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

ElixireL.5190

I loved skyrim too, hell I still play it and yeah I have put about 400+ hours into it as well. If you compare them on RPG, story or gameplay merit Skyrim is going to come ahead in every regard.

The advantages of a game like guildwars2 is its more social, and it should be more addictive. However the main problem I can see with guildwars 2, is its loot is actually worse than Skyrim or any other game that has loot in it period, if you want people to become addicted to instant gratification there has to be gratification.

Socially this game is rather inept as well, not too surprising given its designed for “people who hate MMO’s” lol, which is rather silly since the main strength of an MMO is the community and capability for social activities, neither of which this game capitalizes on.

Let us not forget that even a beloved game like Skyrim has its treasure drop problems!
Many of the ‘special’ rewards were just junk – only good for selling. The ‘randomness’ of these games makes getting decent gear nearly impossible at times. 99% of the stuff I was finding was just hauled back to a vendor to sell so I could buy potions or other items. Almost all the time the stuff you found on your own was completely worthless.

The good thing about Skyrim was that the level restrictions on weapons were only on crafting them – and you had a fairly decent chance of finding weapons that wouldn’t normally drop at your level, and no restrictions on using them. On my second character I knew what to get as soon as possible, the Spellbreaker shield for example, which i could effectively use until the end of the game . The gear treadmill was a lot less pronounced.

chronus.1326

I don’t really see what that has to do with what FatFox says.

There’s really no incentive to do anything when everything is allowed.The “what everyone makes it to be” is working as much as an mmo as a sandbox.

The roles of society allow people to identify themselves. What are you, an artist, a driver, a doctor, an architect, and engineer, a biologist, a writer, a reader? Whatever you are, you will likely not be all of them. Succeeding in one thing that is unique to you or can be unique to you at least in your own enviroment is how people can feel happiness from achievements.

If you can be a tank and a healer and a mage and a cook and a smith and a speak 40 different languages and mount a great white shark with two machine guns then you are not a person but James Bond.

The Holy Trinity is a system that came into existence as the natural result of people applying social roles to cooperative gaming. It even exists in games where it is not clearly outlined. It is not artificial. It was not created. It is the natural form of human cooperation.

You take that away and make people unable to identify with a role that only they can fill, and what you get is a bunch of slaves who row a boat. There is no natural incentive in human beings to force themselves into roles. You can force yourself into roles but it’s gonna get tiring. People derive satisfaction from exceeding in the roles that they were forced into, but naturally the human mind paradoxically strives against the shackles. You want to beat the role, but you have be in the role to derive satisfaction from trying to beat it. Being able to do everything is Enlightment. That’s when you leave this place because you have nothing else to do here. You have learned everything and have done everything. It is the boredom of perfection.

Like having a lvl 100 character in an Elder Scrolls Game.

It doesn’t work in an mmorpg.
This game should have been made a zombie survival game with the players being the zombies because that’s exactly how they behave.

…Actually. That is an awesome idea for an mmo. I’m gonna write that down.

chronus.1326

go adventuring with a friend and have fun. As lunastra said at the top of this page, their guild does hide-n-seek nights, quizzes on lore, themed gatherings, wvw nights.

Oh come on… That’s like… the greatest marketing bs that I have ever heard.

You are not doing that either. You just talk about it.
You can complete all the puzzles in one go, or in a month o so.

Then what?

A short game is a short game. It’s not us who were rushing through it. It was simply that short. For an MMO which people sometimes play for several hours a day, this game was short.

And guess what, maybe it isn’t if you play like 1 hour a day, but here’s the thing: Guild Wars was not too long for you either if you wre playing 1 hour a day. I knew some people like that. They never felt left behind.

I for one will play the game for much longer than a single player game. I’ll drop in to wvw matches or wander around with friends in years to come, and I’m sure there are thousands who will do likewise. Perhaps we are also the thousands who play the game to have fun with hide-n-seek nights and the like.

There were some things that I liked in GW1, double profession was something I liked. The reality is though is that that could never work in the GW2 engine, and I’m fine with that. There’s plenty of variety within classes to keep me amused. If I get bored of my engineer I’ll swap to my elementalist (who couldn’t enjoy playing around with the lightening hammer!).

I’m not looking for a divine masterplan of any sorts. GW2 as you see it now is GW2, any changes are going to be minor tinkering or new areas. I like that, I like GW2 as it stands and the fact that it is so busy with so many servers suggests that many people think likewise.

Well, I’m happy if you still enjoy the game. I’m just saying that so you know that I’m not trying to deteriorate you here or anything.

It’s just different for me. I got used to a very high quality of content and this game doesn’t even hit that from the lower end on my scale. In my previous post I made 4 point where I compared the two games.

• The new quest system is not objectively more effective than “hunting exclamation marks” because it takes away the ability to stack quests in a quest log and the repetitiveness of the events break the suspension of disbelief.
  • The open world actually hinders convenient server-to-server movement and it does not hold a community together as much as the instanced system where people could only meet up in cities and outposts.
  • The skill point money costs were a better money sink than the repair and WP costs because they actually contributed to your progress, rather than just being thinly veiled taxes that you pay so the weak-minded would turn to buying gems from real money and converting it for gold, which if effectively a hidden subscription fee.
  • The Elite Skill capturing and the profession-specific armors provided unque experience for all classes throughout the ENTIRE game, not just the first 15-20 levels, and also something to work your each character towards to, making alting a worthwhile thing, while also extending character progress outside of the rims of the maximum level cap.
  • The Double profession system generated community cooperation in creating builds and made GvG and PvP a constant change of meta where your job was to overcome the current meta with a better designed build and teamwork combination, effectively making victories earned and worked for, not just a matter of numbers (WvW) or who had to scratch his elbow at that time instead of dodging (sPvP).

As you can see, the difference for me in a lot of points is not a difference is style but a difference in quality.

(edited by chronus.1326)

MaRko.3165

The good thing about Skyrim was that the level restrictions on weapons were only on crafting them – and you had a fairly decent chance of finding weapons that wouldn’t normally drop at your level, and no restrictions on using them. On my second character I knew what to get as soon as possible, the Spellbreaker shield for example, which i could effectively use until the end of the game . The gear treadmill was a lot less pronounced.

Actually, the ‘restriction’ that came into play was the usefulness of the item itself as it scaled with the level you found it! Personally, I prefer the way GW2 is setup. I may find (or get rewarded) OP gear but I can eventually use it. In Skyrim you’d work your kitten off to get rewarded something that was down scaled to be useless.

Back on topic – just last night I ventured into a cave and set off an ‘event’. While looking around to see what it was – a large troll with an enormous HP – I hit it with a few arrows and got out of there quickly – this was clearly designed to be taken down with a group and NOT soloed. So choices – drop into chat and see if anyone else is near by that want to help tackle the troll – wait there and see if others show up – or simply skip it and move onto other things.

For those that say the game is not ‘challenging enough’ go venture onto a ‘medium’ population server on a work night and try soloing the events there. Most events have way more mobs than a single player can handle.

I often describe GW2 to friends as playing Skyrim with others. In my book this is a good thing. Anymore players then a few dozen – considering our screen size and resolution – can be considered ‘massive multiplayer’ the pretense of this MMORPG.

I like the way GW2 is designed. If I was to be forced to gang/group up with others its rather doubtful if I’d want to play it. Choice is good.

ElixireL.5190

Yes, GW2 for me has gone a long way in fulfilling a wish for a multiplayer Skyrim with target-lock combat and dodging! And less of the demon serving and ritual murder type of quests, more fantasy and fun animations.

Posted by: Genesis.5169

Genesis.5169

Been at work glad to see this thread has gained some attention. Let me clarify something for everyone about me.

I Have a Full CoE set.
I had a full TA set which i salvaged (because condition as a memsmer is just horrible.)
I’m at FoTM lvl 32.
I’ve done AC 100’s of times for gold.
I’ve done Arah a handfull of times (because its Actually group driven content)
Not of fan of SE.
Not a fan of CoF (thats a real zerg instance lol)
HotW i’ve down 100s of times.

Now for the people that say i don’t do whats in the game i’ve done them all. For the people who say i just don’t wanted to do party content i do. But the HUGE difference between party content and party driven content is. Having to coordinate and communicate with your party to succeed, the only party driven content that does this is Arah AND NO ONE RUNS IT, people are far to spoiled with the options of every other soloable thing in game so why use your head for 2hours,

And stop saying I’m playing the game wrong.
If i can’t play the game my way its not me.
It’s the game.

These forums are a joke its not for opinions or debate its just a safe place for people to cry at.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I had a full TA set which i salvaged (because condition as a memsmer is just horrible.)

Actually condition is fantastic for mesmers. Especially if you go heavy confusion and retaliation. I suppose everybody has different builds though.

Genesis.5169

Actually, the ‘restriction’ that came into play was the usefulness of the item itself as it scaled with the level you found it! Personally, I prefer the way GW2 is setup. I may find (or get rewarded) OP gear but I can eventually use it. In Skyrim you’d work your kitten off to get rewarded something that was down scaled to be useless.

Back on topic – just last night I ventured into a cave and set off an ‘event’. While looking around to see what it was – a large troll with an enormous HP – I hit it with a few arrows and got out of there quickly – this was clearly designed to be taken down with a group and NOT soloed. So choices – drop into chat and see if anyone else is near by that want to help tackle the troll – wait there and see if others show up – or simply skip it and move onto other things.

For those that say the game is not ‘challenging enough’ go venture onto a ‘medium’ population server on a work night and try soloing the events there. Most events have way more mobs than a single player can handle.

I often describe GW2 to friends as playing Skyrim with others. In my book this is a good thing. Anymore players then a few dozen – considering our screen size and resolution – can be considered ‘massive multiplayer’ the pretense of this MMORPG.

I like the way GW2 is designed. If I was to be forced to gang/group up with others its rather doubtful if I’d want to play it. Choice is good.

Ah missed your post.
That troll is soloable.
Most vets and champions are soloable you just need to know how to play. My Mesmer was soloing champions and vets from 40 and beyond as well as my guardian but sooner. My friend has a Ranger and an engineer and they can also solo champions. I don’t know what issue’s you were having but yes it is soloable.

But that isn’t the point
The point is party driven content which requires communication and advocates friendship because it was just that kitten hard.

Read through the kitten thread.

Actually condition is fantastic for mesmers. Especially if you go heavy confusion and retaliation. I suppose everybody has different builds though.

You fogot to mention in pvp.
And Shatter with Illlusionary Persona feels a lot better to play wvw with because i mainly roam in hopes to find some one to fight. I dislike the zergs.

These forums are a joke its not for opinions or debate its just a safe place for people to cry at.

Posted by: Lunastra.1098

Lunastra.1098

go adventuring with a friend and have fun. As lunastra said at the top of this page, their guild does hide-n-seek nights, quizzes on lore, themed gatherings, wvw nights.

Oh come on… That’s like… the greatest marketing bs that I have ever heard.

I’m afraid, I didn’t mean everyone else should be doing it too or are doing it, just pointed out that at least the guild I’m in doesn’t feel like there’s no need to communicate together and have fun. But I’m glad to hear that you think it’s “the greatest marketing bs” you’ve ever heard!

I think if you feel like the game more promotes playing completely alone and not communicating with others, that’s your opinion and the rest of us are allowed to disagree. I don’t feel like it promotes that, because – let’s face it – at least Orr can be quite an adventure of death and re-running from the closest way point. I’d rather go to Orr with a bunch of people than alone, especially since often there will be someone running away from risen and I manage to hit them with an aoe while trying to kill the risen around me! That results in a very dead Elementalist!

Then again, I don’t understand how can you do a group event with no communication with, at least, the people closest to you. I used to play another game that had specific group quests and other things like that on the quest log. I communicated with people less in that game than I’ve communicated with people in GW2. But perhaps the games you’ve played have had a better community? I think that in GW2 just like in a bunch of other MMOs, there is no need to communicate with people if you really just plain don’t want to.

I love the way I am free to do what I want and it has been my choice to do things with other people and sometimes without other people. I don’t see why it has to necessarily be your guild or your friends when you want to do something with other people; Ask around in Map Chat, look around while doing a heart or an event. Say hello to people when entering an area. Those are things you don’t have to do but you can if you want to create more communication with the people around you. I’m not sure why people feel like the game punishes for doing stuff together with others, but I think I’ll have to find out and ask other people about it, because this entire thread made me really interested in it.

I don’t think you should need group quests in order to feel like you can be nice to others and play with them.

(It appears that I over excessively use “you”-passive here, so please, don’t misunderstand me! :) )

ElixireL.5190

I’m afraid, I didn’t mean everyone else should be doing it too or are doing it, just pointed out that at least the guild I’m in doesn’t feel like there’s no need to communicate together and have fun.

I love the way I am free to do what I want and it has been my choice to do things with other people and sometimes without other people. I don’t see why it has to necessarily be your guild or your friends when you want to do something with other people; Ask around in Map Chat, look around while doing a heart or an event. Say hello to people when entering an area. Those are things you don’t have to do but you can if you want to create more communication with the people around you. I’m not sure why people feel like the game punishes for doing stuff together with others, but I think I’ll have to find out and ask other people about it, because this entire thread made me really interested in it.

I don’t think you should need group quests in order to feel like you can be nice to others and play with them.

Your guild sounds fun! In my experience the majority of players in PvE are rushing through trying to level and get skills ASAP , or are level 80s farming . Most people don’t stop for a chat , about half of them may respond to a hello.

Its not the game’s fault, its just how us gamers are , overall.
Not exactly the most sociable crowd.

It’s my first MMO so I’m fascinated and want to talk to everyone, but most players seem to be there for the action rather than the socializing.
Organizing raids with random people is impossible.

(edited by ElixireL.5190)

MaRko.3165

Ah missed your post.
That troll is soloable.
Most vets and champions are soloable you just need to know how to play. My Mesmer was soloing champions and vets from 40 and beyond as well as my guardian but sooner. My friend has a Ranger and an engineer and they can also solo champions. I don’t know what issue’s you were having but yes it is soloable.

But that isn’t the point
The point is party driven content which requires communication and advocates friendship because it was just that kitten hard.

Read through the kitten thread.

I did.

My point being that while most things can be done (very hard to do in most cases) solo its surely easier to tackle with a group and I’m sure easier still if members of that group are communicating!

The underlying trouble is the lack of in game utilities for that to happen. (Am I missing something here?) I don’t recall stumbling on any VOICE CHAT options. If my hands keyboard/mouse are busy fighting how in the heck am I going to be ‘chatting up’ anyone? In my mind ‘text chat’ while fighting is just plain wrong.

In the FPS genre you don’t have ‘team’ anything without voice chat. I don’t see how its any different here.

Posted by: Fatfox.4915

Fatfox.4915

So many good things to quote and talk about here, it’s an interesting thread.

Lunastra- I know your pain in Orr, only as an engi ( lightning skill on pistol/turret), I’ve yet to take my ele there, trying to clear off mobs, only to get more and more through accidental aoe= Squish!

ElixireL- People will stop and ask for help sometimes, I wished Merry Xmas to all those I did the Tixx dungeon with, and only a few replied, I think only one stayed afterwards to chat and dance about. I had GW1, moved on to GW2 but aside from that I’ve only watched others play MMO’s and I struggled to understand the unwritten etiquette around them. Maybe GW2 is trying to break away from the stereotype.

MaRko- I did wonder why they didn’t include some utility for voice chat so that those who wanted to use it for coordination could- though I guess they thought the ones that really wanted to use it would use vent or something like that.

I kind of like to see a map as a real-life field, so instead of the characters, there’s you, me and everyone else from real life, sitting down, talking on a mobile (working the TP), running about etc. If I knew someone, I’m more likely to head over to chat, but getting people to do a group event and communicate is difficult, children used to do it in the playground with tig and whatnot, and it starts off a a zerg but they would meet up again to play again forming a group. This doesn’t seem to happen in GW2.
Likewise if a mysterious voice told us to get out the field (imminent death otherwise), we’d all try it individually first, then try to work as a team with as little communication as possible, until it gets to the stage where we realise we have to talk (or someone breaks the silence) and lo and behold a human pyramid rises up over the fence (or another solution).

Then comes the issue. There’s those that will simply run free and laugh at the people stuck in the field, so the number goes down, and then there’s others that will stay ’til the last persons been brought over, some will say thanks and some will move on back in their easier solo game. I think this was seen in that disease in WoW and professionals are still studying that example- http://www.thomascrampton.com/internet/world-of-warcraft-used-to-predict-pandemic-behavior/

But people (this is my opinion here) just don’t seem to want to play constructively together, I think even if all the solo options were removed, people wouldn’t run Arah- they’ve even stopped doing it for the story mode ending because it ‘forces grouping’. Maybe it was something in the way GW2 was marketed/advertised that caused this solo thinking.

I would love to use some group strategy in game, though I’d be terrified of letting people down, but there’s no real learning platform to do it in, and I guess as Genesis said people will take the easier option- in some people’s view, it’s more money making for your time.

Or maybe, it’s too much like having to deal with colleagues at work or herding children out the door to school, ‘Got your gear? Had Breakfast? Cleaned your teeth?’ I wonder if there is actually a way to successfully implement organised group events needing communication?

Sorry for the waffle,
This thread has made me want to try talking to everyone and trying to communicate with others I’m working alongside.

Genesis.5169

With the patch so close by i want to bring this to front also.

Also fatfox, i don’t the connection to this game.