Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Otter.9238

Otter.9238

I will gladly receive that pm of yours.

I don’t find this uproar unreasonable at all. This is a deeply fundamental issue at the core of the game design.

Granted, information at this moment is scarce, and we may have misunderstood the whole thing, but I think it is good that people are so passionate about the original (hopefully still current) game philosophy. This means that GW2 did something very right in the MMO world that catered to how a lot of people wanted to play.

If it turns out that it was all a storm in a teacup, that’s great. The developers will have gained an idea of how we feel about this issue.

Agreed. I hope it’s just a miscommunication, but either way it’s a least a good opportunity to let ANet know how strongly I feel about no treadmill progression.

Also, I strongly dislike dungeons — I did a few AC and TA runs to get the exotic stats I needed. Definitely didn’t enjoy it, but it was bearable because I thought that once it was done, I would never need to do it again and could just WvW on my finished gear. The thought of having the better gear available only in a dungeon makes me want to cry.

(edited by Otter.9238)

Posted by: FimPhym.5819

FimPhym.5819

Just pitching in with the many voices to make them stronger – power creep in armour is a hideous idea, please don’t implement.

Exactly the sort of stuff I did not want to see happen in GW2.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

ANet, please tell me that Ascended level gear will also be craftable and obtainable through WvW.

I like the idea of a power plateau, but I also understand that there is a huge segment of MMORPG players who need a steady power creep in order to continue returning to the game.

Just please, stick to your principle that max power gear should be attainable in a variety of ways. Don’t return us to the same-old MMO standard that the best gear is always in dungeons.

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

Id love to know what community feedback apparently lead to this supposed backtracking of the core design philosophy the game was built on. Way to stick to your guns Anet. And yes, I will happily take my words back if this proves to not be the case. Looking forward to being proved wrong.

Posted by: QisforQadim.9052

QisforQadim.9052

This is something that will drive away a lot of the competitive WvW people.

Posted by: Mala.3861

Mala.3861

No, no, a thousand times no! There are other games offering gear grinds out the wazoo. No gear grind is one of the reasons I chose GW2. In almost all of the pre-release information from Anet, it was one of their driving principles. No Gear Grind.

Now, they are back pedaling? I can’t tell you how disappointed I am to read something like this.

Make it skins only, no problem Which also abides by the philosophies championed by Anet spokespersons prior to release.

(edited by Mala.3861)

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

I have no concluded for me personally its the vocal 50-100 people out of the 10’s of thousands of people that play this game that don’t want this change. /shrug. We shall see just my opinion.

Posted by: stpetemermaid.5947

stpetemermaid.5947

What made me and hubby quit Rift:

1. Raid gear that could be worn in PvP. In GW2, that would translate to WvW.

2. Crafted gear no longer meant anything. In fact, you had to have items from the raids in order to craft higher gear.

I don’t care if people want harder content (dungeons, raids, whatever you want to call it). I don’t even care much that they get special gear to run them with. If I don’t want to run it; I don’t need the gear.

BUT, if it flows over to my world…that is not fair to the people that don’t have an interest in doing it.

(edited by stpetemermaid.5947)

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

Wait. So I have worked my tail off to get 4 exotic armor sets for my level 80 character for different styles of play and now they are going to be basically useless because of a new tier of armor… Oh my…

Two months in and all our gear is obsolete…

No offense to the “this game isn’t about gear” Zealots…….WoW at least gives yah 5-8 months between seasons not 2.5. Especially for a game based on horizontal progression. Just sayin.

Without knowing for sure. But if AN was smart they’d make it a % damage and defense against new mobs or those in that new zone. Leave everything else at it’s exotic level. While I play WoW and prefer the stat grind. Those of us that do are playing games like that not so much GW2 anymore. AN should pick it’s market. I don’t think it can compete with the vertical scaling games. Others try and fail AN is no different.

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

Okay a few points:

Everyone is crying that Anet broke their promises. They said there will not be a gear treadmill. They never really said that. They said that the top level armour was available through multiple forms of gameplay to anyone playing. As long as there are other means in which to get ascended armour…now or later, then they are holding to that promise.

Secondly, the only actual drawback I can see from having gear that is “slightly” better than exotic is in the WvW zergs. Remove the additional stat in WvW, problem solved.

You can run the same dungeons in green gear that you can in exotic gear, why does anyone think that having a gear that is “slightly” higher than exotics is going to make it impossible to play.

Unless I missed the memo, killing mobs isn’t a competition, and frankly, skills really do make it in this game, not gear stats.

If you HAVE to have the max uber gear to be a good player, that sounds like a problem with the player, not the game.

Now, if they make it so it’s impossible to do certain content without this gear, then yes, there is certainly a problem. However seeing as you can currently do all the content with masterwork gear, I sincerely doubt this is going to be a problem.

tl:dr You don’t have to have the best gear to be the best, you have to have the best skills. Unless new content that is impossible without Ascended gear is introduced (outside the Fractal of the Mysts) then it’s not a gamebreaker. Sorry but that’s all there is to it.

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

I’m almost always all for being patient, waiting for official responses, not over-reacting, etc. However, the moderator in this thread seemed to be asking specifically for feedback on the interpretations that had already started to permeate this thread, so I think this is a good opportunity to share opinions on all interpretations, including:

• Actual stat gains that are universal (influence PvE and PvP power)
  • Stat gains that only influence PvE/dungeon progression
  • GW1-style Ascension that protects against a mechanic and offers up a PvE gating mechanism.
  • Anything else I missed.

Yes, people are flipping out in some cases, but if anything, that just demonstrates how vehemently people are against any sort of power creep/gear treadmill. I’m also personally against a gear treadmill of any kind, because even if it’s minimal, it’s a slippery slope. As people have mentioned, the reason some of us have invested in this game was because we could hit that gear cap and no longer worry that Johnny Collegegoer has infinite hours to grind up the best loot and have a very substantial advantage. Every time I log in, I’m relieved that I don’t have to worry about gear, and it makes all of the experiences that much more enjoyable.

Sure, a small stat creep wouldn’t be that bad, but if it’s that small, what is it doing in the game in the first place? If they are creating gear with incremental advances in order to tackle more challenges, how will a game like Guild Wars that rewards movement/positioning/dodge timings, and therefore has to compensate by upping mob damage, use incremental stat increases to give players “just enough” edge to make it feel like something they need to really progress?

It really feels like they would have to go with substantial changes, and if they are substantial, they’ll have to be along the lines of “X% reduced/increased damage from/to a type of mob”. If it comes to that, I’d defer to PvEers on how much they want gating mechanics, as I’m a WvWvWer.

At the end of the day though, it feels like the game design won’t work well with small power changes above exotics, so I’m curious what the official word will be.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

Posted by: Mik Hell.8206

Mik Hell.8206

Why wait?

It’s better for the player-base to express their opinion on a subject (gear grind) before ANet introduces it.

Prevention is better than fixing.

Posted by: GustavoM.7605

GustavoM.7605

….well, If those “Ascend” gear can be crafted and/or adquired via mobs… I’m okay with this.
But If the game forces me to make dungeons In order to adquire such gear… then yes, this Is a flop and starting to go downhill.

Posted by: enos.1580

enos.1580

I’m not gonna light the torches and pass out the pitchforks just yet. For all we know this could just be some PR guy wording things incredibly badly. But I am sharpening the pitchfork. And I have some lamp oil and matches close at hand.

I’m just going to echo what other people have said, I’m playing this thing specifically because it gets away from the gear grind and other un-fun concepts. Even if it’s +2 stats or something tiny, it’s still a precedent. No gear treadmill means exactly that, it doesn’t mean “Well it’s okay if it’s really teensy!”

—Arakny, 80 Engineer
—Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

I wish ppl would actually think b4 they post. There is no gear grind. There is a dungeon, that goes on forever. It gets harder and harder if you dont reset it. Eventually your going to hit a wall. To help you get over that wall a new set of gear thats higher than exotics was introduced.

All this, "I am casual, i dont have time to “grind” gear" You dont have to “grind” gear anymore than you are grinding dungeons for dungeon sets or grinding events for karma.

The beauty of this dungeon is that like all dungeons it can be done with any gear set. But heres what you guys are getting confused on. The dungeon gets harder so lets say after doing it 5 straight times your on ur 5th difficulty it becomes too hard, and you have to stop. All you have to do is just reset it back to difficulty 1 and keep going.

No one is making you grind gear. The new gear is for those who want to get further and further in the dungeon. Those who dont want to get further can play on the lower difficulty levels.

Again i wish ppl would think more and not just speculate and blow things out of proportion.

Congratulations on only considering ONE aspect of the game. Now, let’s look at other effected ones:

1) CRAFTING!: Crafting is going to become pointless for anything other than leveling up an additional 10 levels per craft and Legendary gifts. By introducing this, they’ve completely killed money-making for crafting outside of Cooking and Jewelers. Crafted weapons are no longer going to be made and sold, neither will armor (assuming there’s Ascended armor).

2) MARKET!: Associated with crafting, the market will take a deep dive down on 80 Exotics when Ascended weapons come into play. Money making will be even harder for those that use the market as their way of pushing profit.

3) WvWvW!: Oh me, oh my! What a kick in the acorns! See, if I saw a player in a Legendary weapon on the field, I could kill him. We’re on the same tier, both 80’s and the max he could have was Exotics (just as I). So, big deal if he’s shooting rainbows at me, I’ll still try to kill him. HOWEVER, with now having more stats through having Ascended weapons, players will have a stat/gear based advantage over other players…slippery slope!

4) COMMUNITY!: This is the biggest negative caused by the mistake of increasing gear stats. The community will start to troll each other, it will become bad. Guilds will force their players to get Ascended weapons before doing WvWvW or other things. Groups will require full exotic + Ascended just to do runs for Ascended. The whole thing will spiral downward into nightmare!

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

It’s a good thing people are over reacting about this, but keep in mind that we don’t know exactly what’ll make the gear more powerful. I’m worried as well, but I won’t pass any judgement until the patch goes live.

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Why is everyone complaining so much? DIOS MIO MAN

Anet just made a brilliant move in my opinion.
Opening new fronts to this game, that has a lot of potential, and now when they are trying to extend it, you’re all whining and whining and jesus christ more whining.

Stop it and let them do the changes quietly, they are more then welcomed.

Agreed. These forums can be pretty bad whenever anything is introduced that’s different. Don’t let it fool you into thinking this is the mindset of the majority. These forums represent a small minority of the community that’s pretty vocal about these things.

I’m pretty excited about this new stuff.

The problem is: Introducing a gear treadmill is nothing new – it is the same old trash you can find in every other MMO (except GW1). We are not complaining about the introduction of armor with a 2% stat increase – we are complaining about the introduction of item progression. Because once they start with that (only 2 months into the game, no less), I bet they won’t stop at that…

And NOT having that was a design principle – abandoning this to conform to MMO standards? Not innovating. Not what I paid for. Not what I waited for for years.

Polka will never die

Posted by: Riel.2160

Riel.2160

thing is they will be in bad situation if they introduce these new better stats items in new dungeon. Why?
first people spent a lot on exotics no doubt lots of them will quit

those who wanted gear progression already quit and will not come back

if they made new armours only in new dungeon it might
kill pvp balance
totally destroy crafting
make other dungeons useless and never run again something like now is wow look at all old dungeons or raid no one is doing them

So I think it will be same as in GW with mursaats

Posted by: Cynic.3496

Cynic.3496

I’m happy about this patch! I even hope they do add full progression raiding someday! You can’t keep people interested on cosmetic gains only and I think they finally realized that. It’s going to be nice to have a reason to login again.

Webba.3071

Ascended gear, if done correctly, is a good thing for GW2. Something to strive for, other than just fashion, is needed to hold the attention of all but the same crowd that played GW1. It needs to, as they stated in the article, be only slightly more powerful, AND it needs to be obtainable from more than one source. At the absolute bare minimum, you should be able to obtain it from the new dungeon and CRAFTABLE from rare components dropped in the new dungeon/zone. Ideally, it would be obtainable through karma and WvW as well.

That sounds a lot like what the game already has.

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Why is everyone complaining so much? DIOS MIO MAN

Anet just made a brilliant move in my opinion.
Opening new fronts to this game, that has a lot of potential, and now when they are trying to extend it, you’re all whining and whining and jesus christ more whining.

Stop it and let them do the changes quietly, they are more then welcomed.

Agreed. These forums can be pretty bad whenever anything is introduced that’s different. Don’t let it fool you into thinking this is the mindset of the majority. These forums represent a small minority of the community that’s pretty vocal about these things.

I’m pretty excited about this new stuff.

The problem is: Introducing a gear treadmill is nothing new – it is the same old trash you can find in every other MMO (except GW1). We are not complaining about the introduction of armor with a 2% stat increase – we are complaining about the introduction of item progression. Because once they start with that (only 2 months into the game, no less), I bet they won’t stop at that…

And NOT having that was a design principle – abandoning this to conform to MMO standards? Not innovating. Not what I paid for. Not what I waited for for years.

So what is the alternative? Just a new dungeon with new skins? I guess that works I like new skins and new weapons. Honestly though and lets be honest ok there isnt anything difficult in this game at all outside of 3 paths in Arah the most difficult things in the game realy.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

So Arena net bails on its core fanbase already. Great.

I am seriously annoyed about this. I will buy gems to buy gold to upgrade the gear almost instantly. But this is seriously very lame for wvw as now I will faceroll people even more.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

Too much speculation, not enough facts.

For all we know ascended gear is nothing more than the legendary equivalent for armor.

Which is a GOOD thing.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

Ascended gear, if done correctly, is a good thing for GW2. Something to strive for, other than just fashion, is needed to hold the attention of all but the same crowd that played GW1. It needs to, as they stated in the article, be only slightly more powerful, AND it needs to be obtainable from more than one source. At the absolute bare minimum, you should be able to obtain it from the new dungeon and CRAFTABLE from rare components dropped in the new dungeon/zone. Ideally, it would be obtainable through karma and WvW as well.

That sounds a lot like what the game already has.

Right…reasons to improve armor when new content is added to the game obtainable through the same sources.

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

Fans: “There is nothing to work towards in this game. Booo!”

ArenaNet: “Alright, here’s unique items that are very hard to obtain and a wee bit stronger than the top tier.”

Fans: “You said you’ll never introduce stronger items. Booo!”

Sorry, ArenaNet… you just can’t win.

I think people should look at ascended gear as the peak in gear evolution. It’s what comes after exotic, and it’s meant to be gear with staying power. It’s not like with WoW where you get the next content and you go from epics back to blues. This is rather the next step in gear.

I like the idea of having a specific gear that you can then customize and work on, while then just applying skins as you see fit. Hope this is something like that.

Posted by: Pawlegance.7012

Pawlegance.7012

The translation is correct. The soul of this game is going to die with the next major update.

The translation is correct? Exotics will no longer be the pinnacle of the value-flagpole? What will I do?

Well, run the new dungeon over and over again. Add found infusions (probably also tiered) to the slots of Ascended weapons/armor and repeat. No need to go for exotics at this point anymore.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

One unintended side effect is that it might basically kill off every other dungeon in the game, unless you REALLY like the skin. It will also kill the exotic armor market as well.

Posted by: dirtyklingon.2918

dirtyklingon.2918

For all we know ascended gear is nothing more than the legendary equivalent for armor.

idk how you can miss in any of these articles that ascended gear is explicitly better in stats and has infusion item slot that increases stats further is explicitly stated.

there is no speculation on these points.

who doesn’t love wow clones?

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

I’m happy about this patch! I even hope they do add full progression raiding someday! You can’t keep people interested on cosmetic gains only and I think they finally realized that. It’s going to be nice to have a reason to login again.

yes you can, just read 99% of this threads comments

Seconded – you know there are still people playing GW2? The game where you quasi-automatically got max stat gear once you reached max lvl (which was 20)?
Do you realize there are probably quite a lot of people who bougt this game for the very reason that there was no carrot on a stick? Once they add full progression raiding, I’m done for good – like, from MMOs forever.

Thank you, uninformed people buying the game expecting the same old garbage we get in every MMO, for ruining my one not-standard MMO.

Polka will never die

Posted by: Alleji.8794

Alleji.8794

I’m not going to cry about this until I see this, because I’m going to assume the preview made a mistake.

Maybe it’s more variety in stats, like stat combos we haven’t seen before, or another upgrade slot at the cost of some of the inherent stat. Maybe new runes/upgrade components. Basically, something that is not STRICTLY better than what we have.

But if it is what it sounds like, I’ll be very sad that GW is turning back on its core principles.

Webba.3071

Nice troll attempt but the thread is moving too fast for anyone to care.

Lol not a troll. It’s true.

Its your opinion. My opinion is that this game will die if Anet does this and the only people left playing will be those like yourself who will quit when you realise that all other MMOs do gear progression better. GW1 was unqiue, GW2 could be. If this news is true it is the death of this game.

Posted by: Ruggy.7819

Ruggy.7819

Okay, here is what Arenanet should do.

Not give out stupid ‘previews’ to websites.. because they hardly cover any information that actual players want to know about.. being vague is not good.

Put informative previews on your own kitten website.. i’m sure alot of the upset that is going on is just because the info is so vague, put it into perspective or don’t tell us at all please.

Posted by: RobinotX.1604

RobinotX.1604

Yeah, there is already a topic about it. But it seems that in that giant topic of mainly rage. People who are trying to bring up another opinion aren’t listened too. So I try to make a new topic with a milder version about my thoughts and hope it gets some attention.

So we heard there is coming a new type of armor which will be stronger then Excotic.

Pro

*People looking for an average-Like experience on endgame, have something now.

Cons

• People feel like getting lied too, they think that they also have to need the gear to get stronger and be on par with the rest of the world.

Ignore the Pro.

Lets take a look at that Con..

Why are people already thinking, without knowing more about it, that it makes your time and money awfull?
It seems, how I make it from the text, that the armor is need to tackle the dungeon. Which gives an Average PVEMMO-Like experience.

If it’s going to be stronger gear that also can be used in WvWvW. Then, yes I do know why your hating on it. But it depends on how great the difference in stats are. If it’s only 2 or 3. That’s something to ignore, in my opinion. But I also say to ANET: Think before you do it, make it so that people who are doing WvWvW or sPVP are not getting pushed to do something: The whole thing of YOU HAVE TO DO IT, became really hatefull in WoW and SWTOR for me. It’s the reason why I quit the whole game.

But maybe we can also expect to have Ascended Armor in the dungeons right now, with some sort of extra token farming, and trading your already gotten gear for it to get a discount. (This would make the whole issues much better, if people would hate on it.)

For the people who say but all my time for my looks is gone :<.

You have transmution stones which you still can get your gear looks with.

Crafting and Ascended Armor.

It shouldn’t be stupid to think it. But really, ANET, if you really wanna go through with this, we also need it to be craftable. Make it so that Ascended Armor is something like a Legendary (which is a grind atm).

I am curious what the update will bring. I am one of the people who thinks, let’s see first. GW2 is a game, when you don’t like what happens, you can just quit and see if an update in the future makes it better.

I can’t tell right now what the update will bring to us. I do like the whole, new enemies thing. All with all, I am waiting for the update and do hope that Anet knows what is doing.

I am in the grey zone right now, I am not really like, WOW NICE UPDATE. But also not like most on this forum: BOOHOOO

Posted by: Beraphim.3476

Beraphim.3476

https://twitter.com/mkerstein/status/268039519671033856

I take it we are all just overreacting and we don’t know all about them.

Posted by: spreadsheets.9805

spreadsheets.9805

This is a step in the wrong direction. No matter how small the difference, new gear introduced by patches should never be stronger than what people could already get.

The maximum gear level never changing is exactly one of the best things about Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2. It meshes perfectly with the no-subscription model, because players only need to get gear once and then can take peeks into content updates at their leisure.

It also allows for the PvE content to leave less of a disappointing feeling when you do it again. It’s better for the challenge to always be the same, so players can feel like it is their accomplishment if they have less trouble with a certain piece of content.

If you make that piece of content reward the players with stronger gear, though, they will always have an easier time on consecutive runs, just because their stats are higher.

That is not as rewarding and not as satisfying as knowing it was your skill that made this run go faster.

Finally, it will cause a partial split in the community, if the content is challenging enough. If the content in question is challenging enough to be made significantly easier by the stronger gear it provides, public groups looking to farm the content will only accept players who have already done it a couple of times and obtained the gear.

The content in question has to be challenging enough to be made significantly easier by the stronger gear it provides, because otherwise, there wouldn’t be any meaning to the gear having higher stats. I’m sure you are not looking at pieces that have maybe 1 Vitality more or something. It will be a small, but significant increase.

This kind of Power Creep is probably why most people left the MMOs they played before. Guild Wars 2 was said to not have it before launch, and that was a huge factor for buying it (at least for me).

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

If this is a stat that only effects you ability to complete the dungeon ie +damage to xyz mob. Ok whatever. If this is a direct buff to stats that can make you more powerful in wvw vs people who don’t have ascended armor then you better get a wvw ranking system and ascended armor in that is earned thru wvw.

People asked for pve progression and this is it. People want wvw progression and this could be it also. Just make ascended armor the new platue and then stop. No gear grind is the reason I even play this game. I dont want to have to pve to be a top contender in wvw.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

Posted by: GustavoM.7605

GustavoM.7605

I, for one, don’t mind stronger equipment being added to the game: as long as the game doesn’t force me to adquire It.

Posted by: Subhuman Filth.9562

Subhuman Filth.9562

Fans: “There is nothing to work towards in this game. Booo!”

ArenaNet: “Alright, here’s unique items that are very hard to obtain and a wee bit stronger than the top tier.”

Fans: “You said you’ll never introduce stronger items. Booo!”

Sorry, ArenaNet… you just can’t win.

I think people should look at ascended gear as the peak in gear evolution. It’s what comes after exotic, and it’s meant to be gear with staying power. It’s not like with WoW where you get the next content and you go from epics back to blues. This is rather the next step in gear.

I like the idea of having a specific gear that you can then customize and work on, while then just applying skins as you see fit. Hope this is something like that.

Ok, why don’t they just use rare-skinned exotics to fill that role? Whats the difference between Rare → exotic and exotic → ascended? They could have just made the new challenging skins have exotic stats and exceptional art like legendary weapons, and everything would have been grat. They’re toeing a very slippery slope to gear-treadmilling the game and anyone who has played any other MMO for any significant length of time knows what a horrible idea that is.

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

idk how you can miss in any of these articles that ascended gear is explicitly better in stats and has infusion item slot that increases stats further is explicitly stated.

there is no speculation on these points.

And?

There is nothing saying that this gear is going to be easy to obtain. There is nothing saying that there is going to be anything beyond ascended.

“Ascended” could simply mean the quality of the gear, not a tier of gear in an MMO gear grind.

“Ascended” gear might be Guild Wars 2 equivalent of Guild Wars 1 prestige armor.

Again, so much speculation, so little hard facts.

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

yes you can, just read 99% of this threads comments

Seconded – you know there are still people playing GW2? The game where you quasi-automatically got max stat gear once you reached max lvl (which was 20)?
Do you realize there are probably quite a lot of people who bougt this game for the very reason that there was no carrot on a stick? Once they add full progression raiding, I’m done for good – like, from MMOs forever.

Thank you, uninformed people buying the game expecting the same old garbage we get in every MMO, for ruining my one not-standard MMO.

You do realize this is not just for MMO. You know all MMO/RPG games Torchlight, Diablo, Borderland, Skyrim, etc. are all gears level up based after the story?

If you’re only talking about MMO about gear grinding, you’re a frog living in a well.

Every games out there including FPS (weapons), are mostly progress and on going with upgrades + story. If the story finished, what else to do? Dead game for many.

You do realize the amount of people here on the thread disagree the one who only posts. Those loves the idea will hardly posts about it. This is generally like most forums when there is a rant, hate comments. People posts right of the bat. This thread haters is about 0.001 % of the GW2 population.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

Posted by: Pawlegance.7012

Pawlegance.7012

btw can you craft this gear? If you have to do dungeons = I am quitting obviously.

The article doesn’t say anything about new crafting recipies. It just says Ascended items may drop (as a reward) in the new dungeon and Ascended items are infused, which means infusions can further increase the stats. Ascended items probably take infusions and sigils/runes, but this is just speculation from my part.

The article doesn’t specify the usage of Ascended items, which tells me they are not bound to a place or time.

(edited by Pawlegance.7012)

Posted by: Orion.7264

Orion.7264

What a failure and a travesty. For those of you defending system by saying players need “top tier” gear to strive towards statswise, we already have that. It’s called exotic gear, and the system for obtaining it is pristine. This doesn’t add anything to the game, doesn’t improve it in any way, it only introduces a compounding layer of grind. Players will have to rework “finished” characters just to get max-stat gear (which was always promised to be easily obtainable at 80, even if it looked like dog crap). And “infusions”? So not only is there a stat increase, it’s going to be even more of a departure from rares to exotics. Think of the power difference between rares and exotics, but now imagine that rares can’t hold runes either. That’s what we’re talking about here. A stat increase AND a new set of upgrades, paving the way for imbalance in WvW, gear discrimination in PvE for dungeons and other end-game content, and all for the sake of… more grind? Please. What a horrible move by Anet. All you had to do was introduce “legendary” armor, with amazing skins but no stat increases. All you had to do was stick to your basic design philosophy. Could you do that? No. I demand an explanation, and the head of whoever suggested this godawful idea.

Arenanet lies.

Posted by: RobinotX.1604

RobinotX.1604

That’s the whole Tl;DR of my post tbh,

Dont force people to do something.

Even in real life, forcing things on someone is not cool.

Posted by: Lillith.5724

Lillith.5724

I haven’t heard the outcry from players for armor progression? Well, not that many at least.
This would be a shame for casual players like myself and my guild. As it is, we’re just getting around to pooling our gold for exotics and crafting. Like Aion all over again…sigh that game still gives me nightmares.

Lillith Flame – Norn Ranger
Guild Leader: Spank Reunited
Yak’s Bend Server

Posted by: GonzoNeo.4965

GonzoNeo.4965

GW1 last 7 years with a great horizontal PVE and great PVP

GW2 after 2 months have alredy gear threadmill, and only 1 pvp mode.

What is arena.net thinking, they walk back wards or like?

Seriulsy if Nexon is the responsible here is time that he understand that this is a GW game not a Maple.

The community is happy with the gear horizontal here, only beg for more pvp modes , no more conquest and funniest dungeon and zones.

What we have, more conquest, no new pvp mode, and gearthreadmill…………….great…………., what is the next step ? mounts ? gear progression in pvp ? classic exclamation quest ?

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

I will be the mean one to point out that hardcore raiders are an group that barely would leave a dent on any game’s balance sheet if they’d all quit – we’re talking about a 5%-15% part of the population here.

In terms of size of playerbase, GW1 was the second-most successful western MMO after WoW – and it kept a very loyal fanbase around for many years without any silly gear progression game and just cosmetics.That proves your statement wrong right there.

Conversely, almost all newer MMOs having a traditional gear treadmill failed miserably on market after a few months and the raiding-focus chasing away all non-raiders (cough SWTOR).

A modern MMO can easily exist without the raiders as customers, but I am sorry to say that these days you can’t fund a MMO without the 85+% that do NOT raid. And in 2012, the non-raiders seem to be just as trigger happy with the “uninstall” button if their needs aren’t met by a game. Which is a good thing. shrug

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Cynic.3496

Cynic.3496

Nice troll attempt but the thread is moving too fast for anyone to care.

Lol not a troll. It’s true.

Its your opinion. My opinion is that this game will die if Anet does this and the only people left playing will be those like yourself who will quit when you realise that all other MMOs do gear progression better. GW1 was unqiue, GW2 could be. If this news is true it is the death of this game.

It is my opinion and based on the planned changes to the game my opinion sounds reasonable. If the game was doing great as-is why would they change it?

Posted by: SupahSpankeh.8452

SupahSpankeh.8452

Arenanet,

For me this is important. Please don’t add a gear grind or gated content, I’m too busy. I don’t have the time for a second job (like raiding in WoW) and I just want to play with my friends and against my enemies on an equal footing.

Also, I’ve told my friends at work that this game is a breath of fresh air and has no grind. They’ll be playing over the weekend – please don’t make me look like an idiot.

Mad Skullz | 80 Necro | Piken Square

Posted by: Asbrandr.6324

Asbrandr.6324

I disagree with this decision for reasons that have already been stated, as it’s a departure from one of their principles. However, we could all just be blowing this out of proportion. If it’s only a gating mechanism for high level PvE content, I could deal with it.

This will likely be a non-issue for PvP as if the gear is better, they’ll just swap the stats and slots on the current PvP-issue gear to match in order to retain the skill-based system.

Zevkk | 80 Necromancer | Vyhrr Sootshroud | 80 Thief
Cyrus Quintillus | 80 Mesmer | Asbrandr Godrikson | 80 Warrior
Fort Aspenwood [FLOT]

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

From the linked article:

Visually, the Karka will feature a heavily armored shell of sorts that players will have to penetrate. ArenaNet has even worked on a new shader technology that allows players to actually see pieces of the armor fall off of the Karka as they wear it down.
That all comes later, though. Initially, players will be unable to penetrate the Karka’s armor and it’s this roadblock that will kick off a series of events taking players throughout the world as they learn about the Karka’s origins and research a means to get through theseemingly impenetrable armor.

This sounds literally EXACTLY like “Hey guys, so the Mursaat have this thing called Spectral Agony, and yeah, it’ll kitten you up. Oh, also you can’t see them. You need to ascend so you can see them and infuse your armor so they don’t 2 shot you. Here, go talk to this dude. He’ll have you do some junk and things and you’ll be all set.”

Am I the only one that sees this or do people here honestly just get the jollies from complaining about stuff no one knows anything about yet?

Thank you for echoing what my other post said. This could very well be a good thing too due to the return of the Mursaat.