Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LowfatEnvelope.5934

LowfatEnvelope.5934

They say the stats will be SLIGHTLY better and everyone is freaking out? What? We haven’t even seen what the stats on this stuff is yet. Also no old content is being made obsolete by this. It sounds like the gear is just a reward so people who enjoy the dungeon can do it more efficiently as it progresses in difficulty, which I think is a good idea. We shall have to wait and see though I suppose.

Once you’ve crossed the line, there’s no going back. It doesn’t matter if a fraction of a toe is across, once they’ve added gear with better stats than exotics, they have a)broken the promise that this game was created around, and b)they will keep going with more and better statted gear after that. We’ve all been around the block and we know how this goes. That line is a very distinct line and you’re either on one side of it or the other.

That’s why I’m also saying I could be completely wrong and we’ll have to see. I’m just saying let’s not freak out quite yet and see exactly what happens first as we really don’t know much about this. For all we know the gear’s extra stats don’t even work outside of the dungeon and it lowers to normal exotic level stats.

L.F.E.

Posted by: stefanplc.5234

stefanplc.5234

they really need to work on their communication skills.. you don’t release that kind of information and then just let it marinate without any explanations

Matale & Sohpital – Warrior & Thief PvP
www.youtube.com/stefanplc

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

It’s strange how a single uninformative, slab of information can really kill a person inside. Its not my game, I can’t tell them what to do, but I feel like the spirit of a game I’ve played since seven years ago is slowly vanishing before my eyes.

by the way, the famous blog post where they will explain “all” to calm the community is still missing ?

Its being re-written and the items scaled down to exotics.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

Posted by: Kharlig.1467

Kharlig.1467

No no no this isn’t WoW!! This is Spar…. ehm, GW2!!!!

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

They say the stats will be SLIGHTLY better and everyone is freaking out? What? We haven’t even seen what the stats on this stuff is yet. Also no old content is being made obsolete by this. It sounds like the gear is just a reward so people who enjoy the dungeon can do it more efficiently as it progresses in difficulty, which I think is a good idea. We shall have to wait and see though I suppose.

“Introducing Ascended items, artifacts of great power that can be improved by a special new type of upgrade called Infusions, which can be found in dungeons. Look for more information about Ascended gear soon”! i see nothing here hat says Ascended>Exotic stop spreading mis information, all of this is pitifull.

But the articles retweeted by the official twitter feed do: https://twitter.com/guildwars2

:edit:

The patch will introduce ascended items. Ascended armors are “slightly more powerful than exotics” and can, in some cases, hold slots for infusions. Infusions will allow you to increase your character’s power

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/12/guild-wars-2s-lost-shores-content-primer/

Speaking of rewards, the Fractals of the Mist Dungeon will introduce the new ‘Ascended’ item type. This type is a bit more powerful than the Exotic quality items currently found in the game.

Source: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/6882/Guild-Wars-2-A-Peek-into-the-November-Update.html

Both articles retweeted by the official GW2 twitter account.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

(edited by Jestunhi.7429)

Posted by: Thadren Calder.1397

Thadren Calder.1397

by the way, the famous blog post where they will explain “all” to calm the community is still missing ?

That’s because the PR department is trying to figure out a way to spin this as not to cause more rage.

LowfatEnvelope.5934

“Introducing Ascended items, artifacts of great power that can be improved by a special new type of upgrade called Infusions, which can be found in dungeons. Look for more information about Ascended gear soon”! i see nothing here hat says Ascended>Exotic stop spreading mis information, all of this is pitifull.

It isn’t mis information: "With great challenges come great rewards. The patch will introduce ascended items. Ascended armors are “slightly more powerful than exotics” and can, in some cases, hold slots for infusions."

From: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/12/guild-wars-2s-lost-shores-content-primer/

L.F.E.

Posted by: Angrec.6970

Angrec.6970

I think its going to be hard to justify to myself all the work I put into exoticing out two characters and transmuting to have them the way I want going down the drain.

Yeah I think I would have a hard time logging in if that happened, but I trust arenanet not to have done something so insane like adding a new tier level this far after release.

Posted by: Kriton.5402

Kriton.5402

http://guildwars2hub.com/features/previews/lost-shores-preview

New Item Quality Level – Ascended

While it remains to be seen exactly how many new items are being added in terms of new weapon or armor sets, we do know that a new quality level is being introduced: Ascended. This will be one step higher than exotic quality items, so it will be interesting to see how that impacts gearing up at level 80. As things stand currently, level 80 rares are basically something you only equip while piecing together an exotic set, and from there most people either salvage them for ectos or sell them on the trading post.

Hopefully the ascended gear will be somewhat difficult to obtain, otherwise it might end up greatly devaluing exotics moving forward. New items are also supposed to be hitting the current dungeon vendors, so I’m also curious to see how that will fit into the bigger itemization picture. According to ArenaNet, this new item quality is intended to help give the endgame a more distinct sense of progression, so I’d imagine that there won’t be a massive amount of ascended gear hitting the live game right away either way.

It’s also worth noting that with the update there will be a new resource to harvest, along with 200 new crafting recipes being added. Presumably these will be focused on the ascended quality level as well, so it will be interesting to see how expensive the new recipes will be to create given the current high production costs on exotic gear.

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

If SLIGHTLY is not a problem why don’t they make these new items SLIGHTLY WORSE than exotics?

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

It isn’t mis information: "With great challenges come great rewards. The patch will introduce ascended items. Ascended armors are “slightly more powerful than exotics” and can, in some cases, hold slots for infusions."

From: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/12/guild-wars-2s-lost-shores-content-primer/

Hold your horses. You don’t have confirmation that ascended armor infusion works outside of the one new dungeon at all. It logically follows that it doesn’t since the system is designed for a specific dungeon and not to make you a god.

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

But the change to legendary weapons (now they have better stats then exotics, look the DB) keep people think that this new ascended items, are a new tier (the red tier)…

I hope that this blog come out very soon. Too many question to answer!

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

LowfatEnvelope.5934

If SLIGHTLY is not a problem why don’t they make these new items SLIGHTLY WORSE than exotics?

Because why on earth would you go backwards? The game doesn’t need to be easier lol

L.F.E.

Vena.8436

But the change to legendary weapons (now they have better stats then exotics, look the DB) keep people think that this new ascended items, are a new tier (the red tier)…

The information on the DB is old, the Legendaries never had and do not have, better stats than the exotics.

[Eon] – Blackgate

LowfatEnvelope.5934

Hold your horses. You don’t have confirmation that ascended armor infusion works outside of the one new dungeon at all. It logically follows that it doesn’t since the system is designed for a specific dungeon and not to make you a god.

I actually pointed that out in a previous reply to someone about a page back I think. What you quoted was a defense post. :P I agree with you though.

L.F.E.

Posted by: Rangle.2539

Rangle.2539

I am deeply concerned if they start putting a new gear tier in just 3 months. They don’t really need to put another tier if they want to add new content. If GW2 turn to another gear treadmill MMORPGs I am out of here. SLIGHTLY better gear every 2-3 months? That’s going to stack up….

Posted by: Dogblaster.6713

Dogblaster.6713

Legendaries had bigger damage then exotics .. at release, but they were fixed so now they are equal.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Because why on earth would you go backwards? The game doesn’t need to be easier lol

huh? Actually the game becomes harder with worse gear. Oh ups…

Posted by: Wraith.3524

Wraith.3524

I got a knot in my stomach.

Vena.8436

This makes it sound like Legendary Armor, with items related to it ending up in vendors and it being “gated” such that you can only acquire a piece at a time per event as the events are released. Or something…

[Eon] – Blackgate

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

lol even if they are slightly better, they are BETTER, and on a WvW duel, if you are as good as your enemy, if you have a better item, you win! and if the item hard to get, the chance for you enemy to beat you, are = 0 !

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

(edited by Ganzo.5079)

Dogblaster.6713

I am deeply concerned if they start putting a new gear tier in just 3 months. They don’t really need to put another tier if they want to add new content. If GW2 turn to another gear treadmill MMORPGs I am out of here. SLIGHTLY better gear every 2-3 months? That’s going to stack up….

+1

Posted by: Coin Flunk.3024

Coin Flunk.3024

Oh no i still have rare armour. Does this mean me getting exotic armour is a treadmill? For the love of god, YOU people ruining are RUINING this community. The game is for everyone, just log on and have fun; don’t expect everything on a plate…

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I’ll take a wait and see attitude. But I quit playing my previous MMO because I was sick and tired of gear grind. I’m hoping this isn’t that. I know some people have been begging for gear progression but I sure wasn’t one of them.

I really don’t want gear to quickly become outdated and content that requires the new gear that you have to grind out IN the content that requires it. I really really hate that kind of game.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Levian.7683

Levian.7683

This will be awesome update! Its Anet, they never fail <3

Can You Keep a Secret?

Posted by: okami.2036

okami.2036

This is really bad…lots of people are plaing, and enjoying GW2 because is completly different than WoW…now you’re matching the games and this is a real crap!! continue keeping the GUILD WARS stile!! and if you really want to insert a new tier of weapon and armors do it with an expansion…on 2014!!!

Posted by: noneofcon.8367

noneofcon.8367

they really need to work on their communication skills.. you don’t release that kind of information and then just let it marinate without any explanations

Agreed. Anet doesn’t seem to be very open to talking about any changes they are making to the game either before they hit the live servers. Trust is earned, and that means the customers need to trust that Anet will be making changes to the product that they paid for that will be to their benefit.

Take class balance for instance. All we have for the Nov. 15th patch is some numbers on how many changes there are but nothing about what those changes are or how much they are changing. So there is no way for the player base to respond to those changes for better or for worse. There is no public test server for players to test out changes and see how they work. Just trusting that Anet knows what they are doing.

These changes with the new armor system should have been addressed in a dev blog or post before hand, and not after the fact. The news sites didn’t pull that information out of no where, and a better PR plan might have saved them some face.

I say wait and see what they say first before grabbing the pitchforks.

I do wonder how long these changes were in planning how ever. Since there isn’t a sub, I am guessing they wouldn’t be doing unsubing surveys. So I wonder where along the line they decided to make the change.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

GW2 is an MMO and if it wants to stay competitive it needs some form of progression.

[Citation needed]

This is actually not the case. Stat progression is only needed to appease a certain kind of addicted player happy, who wants to be able to beat additional challenge by gaining additional avatar strength and is afraid of content that gets more difficult without being able to make it easier by additional stats.

Essentially, your argument is that Simons Quest is a better game than the original Castlevania, because progresssion.

I, and many other people, say nope.
Stat MMOs are simply one particular model, popularized by WoW. They are not the only model. Monocultures are bad.

Well apparently not enough people agree with you. If Anet thought the game was doing well and that progression wasn’t needed then they wouldn’t be adding it.

Clearly they are now attempting to attract players who are more progression oriented. Likely because they are significantly more likely to spend more money in the gem shop and there are significantly more of them then all these people who apparently don’t like progression. At least that is how I see it. If you can think of a different reason for this move then i’m all ears.

Posted by: chronus.1326

chronus.1326

I’m not even in the mood to phrase this in a dramatic manner how I usually do.

It is time people. We have to start a petition.

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

2 months after release and Anet throws the most important rule for item-scaling over board? Are you guys from Anet nuts or what? Don´t you realize that your problems massively loosing population mostly are due to other troubles?

And IF you give better stats, they must be equally available through crafting, WvW, Kharma, not only through running stupid dungeons all over again. Anet, you´re going to make things far worse, not better with such a kneejerk reaction!

Posted by: Aaron.4807

Aaron.4807

I think its going to be hard to justify to myself all the work I put into exoticing out two characters and transmuting to have them the way I want going down the drain.

Yeah I think I would have a hard time logging in if that happened, but I trust arenanet not to have done something so insane like adding a new tier level this far after release.

I am having a hard time logging in right now and think I will take a break form the game, tbh.

Wrekks/Wrekts

Posted by: GonzoNeo.4965

GonzoNeo.4965

That’s because the PR department is trying to figure out a way to spin this as not to cause more rage.

This will be easy, delete Ascends and there it is.

In my guild at least the rage is at max level, 80% of us are from GW1, and they are wishing that the Ascends items are only to backslot but if they are a new tier item arena.net is betraying their core, community and the GW spirit, some are from PVP and after the dissapoint of GW2 PVP and now this many are thinking in quit the game to go LoL or Dota2.

I only wish that arena.net is rethinking what they are doing before put more oil to the flame.

Im not a community manager but after 3 months reading the feedback of the Official forum and guru the wishes of the commuinty was:

-Fix Bug
-Improve the CPU/GPU perfomance
-Balance Classes
-More PVP modes, conquest is boring.
-Guild House, PVP watch mode, and ladder system.
-Improve the MECHANIC rewards ( but no new tier item give more yellow, exclusive exotic from chest like GW1, improve lodestone drop )of actual dungeons and add more.
-Check Precursor prices and the way to get it

Feedback about get another tier of items, only few post, and fast answer for the rest of community like a dissapoint choice.

What is first thing that arena.net give us, new tier item after only 3 months and Gear Trheadmile -_-

Seriously ? What is arena.net thinking ?

I just hope that the magazinesa are all wrong and the new Ascend items are only to backslot, but right now in my guild Nexon is the most hated guy in GW2 history, we want GW no GW:Maple.

(edited by GonzoNeo.4965)

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

So, when we wish this game had more stuff to do and maybe a slight progression past 80 we should “Quit and realize this isn’t the game for us.” and if this game introduces said little update you guys will “Quit, and realize this game isn’t for you.” Man ya’ll cray cray. Play a game for fun. I’ve never seen people take a game so seriously in regards to mechanics as opposed to lore.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Posted by: Greyfeld.7104

Greyfeld.7104

It sounds like people don’t want to play an MMO.

MMOs need to have ways to continually advance your characters, that’s what sets them apart from other online pvp games or single player RPGs with online co-ops.

GW1 was not an MMO, GW2 should not be like GW1.

And as everybody knows, gear treadmills are the only viable way to continue character progression at max level. There isn’t story, or collectibles, or unlocks, or anything silly like that.

As far as this news is concerned, I’m very “meh.” I’m not raging over it, but I’m not excited over it either. I’m just tired. I wish a developer would grow a pair of balls and do something different from everybody else in the industry. Just once. Just for the hell of it.

Posted by: dirtyklingon.2918

dirtyklingon.2918

i am waiting for this blog post.

as far as i can see it, someone messed up, and based on the fact that THREE different news sites reported this, i have a hard time thinking it’s not an anet mistake.

this was badly mishandled. from going to press first, to the whining from anet employees on twitter about customers freaking out “over non factual information”, to the ongoing wait for this mythical blog post that will allay our frustration.

this is not how a company that respects their customers acts.

who doesn’t love wow clones?

Vena.8436

~ Design game and every dungeon such that you don’t have to run any particular dungeon over and over for anything more than a skin.
~ WvW weapons and armor are sold at exotic level, you can entirely avoid PvE to gear out for WvW.

And now…

~ Add a dungeon to completely bar WvW from getting the best gear from playing WvW, and make everyone have to grind one dungeon to get best gear for PvE.
~ Add a new resource to further limit WvW players access to this without being forced to PvE for even more things (aside from just grinding gold).

^ Who thought this leap in principles was a good idea? Or are you going to tell us all that the 3000 badges we spent on our gear is now obsolete and either suck it up, kill another 10k players for another 5k badges or grind a PvE dungeon/events/nodes just to craft some “slightly” strong gear?

I thought went over this in GW1, don’t force people to play one form of the game in order to be the best in another. You were pretty kitten close this time around but you’re just going to slap WvW around some more?

[Eon] – Blackgate

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Knowing how they release information, once they do release more information, it’ll still be a blur. =/

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: CaakEE.7109

CaakEE.7109

Posted by: Kathias.8532

Kathias.8532

I really like to look at the new items as an incentive to go to the new dungeon and try to get as far as possible. I’m quite happy with my current look so I really lack any motivation to do the current dungeons, perhaps only for the achievement. If the new items will be special in other way than a new skin (sorry, but I never really liked Barbie the fashion model), I’m definitely looking forward to it.

Posted by: Xyne.9104

Xyne.9104

Bad bad decision…..Thats all i can say…

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

It sounds like people don’t want to play an MMO.

MMOs need to have ways to continually advance your characters, that’s what sets them apart from other online pvp games or single player RPGs with online co-ops.

GW1 was not an MMO, GW2 should not be like GW1.

And as everybody knows, gear treadmills are the only viable way to continue character progression at max level. There isn’t story, or collectibles, or unlocks, or anything silly like that.

As far as this news is concerned, I’m very “meh.” I’m not raging over it, but I’m not excited over it either. I’m just tired. I wish a developer would grow a pair of balls and do something different from everybody else in the industry. Just once. Just for the hell of it.

They are doing something different…I haven’t played a game quite like gw2. Let’s not disregard everything Anet has done for just one piece of information that’s not even detailed. There is progression period. Doesn’t matter what the heck it is, do it because you like doing it. I feel like a majority of people would still be just as happy if you didn’t read said update. Probably without forums/website you wouldn’t even know such gear existed and you’d be fine.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

I’ll take a wait and see attitude. But I quit playing my previous MMO because I was sick and tired of gear grind. I’m hoping this isn’t that. I know some people have been begging for gear progression but I sure wasn’t one of them.

I really don’t want gear to quickly become outdated and content that requires the new gear that you have to grind out IN the content that requires it. I really really hate that kind of game.

This sums up my thoughts as well.

Millions of people bought this game knowing there was no power creeping gear grind, and for a great many that was THE thing which sold us on GW2.

I won’t be recommending any friends during the upcoming trial period, and if the gear treadmill is added to the game, I probably won’t be continuing to play. I’ve played the dungeon grinding progression games before, I have no desire to repeat that experience.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

If gear creep is in, I am out. I just can’t support this system anymore. Won’t have trouble deciding which friends to refer, because I won’t be recommending this game to any of them.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

who the hell is nexon? lol

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

so if they add 10 more lvls in next expansion you all leave too?

becouse lvl 80 exotics will be crap

idk if you followed this game prelaunch with statements like this.

i mean seriously.

They’ve said, since way before launch, that 80 may not be the level cap and that they may raise it in future expansions.

I suppose, when that happens, people will claim that ANet never said that.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Vena.8436

Ascends items are only to backslot

From the Lost Shores page, thats what this actually looks like. It looks like a back slot item.

But that doesn’t match what the community news sites reported though it would still be technically true: ascended has higher stats than exotics*.

*sic: there is no exotic back piece in game, every back piece is better than an exotic at this point.

[Eon] – Blackgate

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Not going to read 25 pages so if this is a rehash oh well.
I seem to recall Anet saying something along the lines of legendary comparable armors coming out sometime after release. Exotic is not the top tier for weapons, legendary is. So releasing this new armor is nothing more then them doing exactly what they planned in the first place. A tier above Exotic and on par with Legendary is not cause for freaking out.

Yeah. I remember this as well.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Akana.1465

Akana.1465

Betrayal.

I bought this game to escape from gear grind as they advertised in their manifesto. If it’s as bad as it looks, I want a refund.

Dogblaster.6713

Ascends items are only to backslot

From the Lost Shores page, thats what this actually looks like. It looks like a back slot item.

But that doesn’t match what the community news sites reported though it would still be technically true: ascended has higher stats than exotics*.

*sic: there is no exotic back piece in game, every back piece is better than an exotic at this point.

Slightly more powerful than exotic … here you go

And because there is no exotic backpack ingame yet .. I dont think this new armor is only for back slot only

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

If they make us pvpers do pve to get the best gear for wvw, then I’m gonna cancel my sub….. kitten ok wait I’m going to grrr be really really mad. If they’re going to introduce gear that will affect pvp then they better have a way for us to earn it in pvp, at least WoW got that part right.

Still waiting on confirmation on the new gear just like the rest of you..

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

(edited by Xenesis.6389)