Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Definitely didn’t read 27 pages, but just wanted to throw in my two cents.

I am stoked to see the new armors and everything this update has in store. I’m happy that there will be something to strive for beyond legendary weapons!

Also, to the community, I believe most of you should wait to see what happens before expressing your rage/intent to quit and/or other negative hyperbole. The preview on the patch has definitely left a lot to be unanswered, so let’s wait and see what happens before calling ANet out as liars and failures.

ANet, I believe you are doing an awesome job. Thanks!

Posted by: Vincent Von Demetri.1450

Vincent Von Demetri.1450

BEFORE YOU FREAK OUT PLEASE READ***

Seems like everyone is getting bent out of shape on something we have NO wording from ArenaNet on. Please, trust in their decisions making before you jump to completely radical decisions. NOWHERE on the official page does it say anything about these being stronger than X, Y, or Z. We literally know nothing about these armor pieces, so please don’t jump to conclusions, wait for the OFFICIAL blogpost that ArenaNet said they will provide, and relax.

For those who want some sort of counterpoint to the discussions on here, take this alternative perspective for thought:

“Introducing Ascended items, artifacts of great power that can be improved by a special new type of upgrade called Infusions, which can be found in dungeons. Look for more information about Ascended gear soon!”

This to me sounds like these new ascended armors might be limited to the dungeon and the dungeon continues to get progressively harder perhaps requiring the upgrading of the armor itself to tackle the harder levels of the dungeon as it continues to grow. Perhaps this armor might be only useful against these Karka much like infused armor was only useful against the Mursaat. Perhaps, they’re introducing a sort of gear treadmill in one place for people that want a gear treadmill. IE – In a dungeon.

Posted by: CJAncients.6907

CJAncients.6907

Will quit if the game gets a gear treadmill.

Posted by: nergoza.6387

nergoza.6387

Maybe if 70% of you would stop writing wall of texts on the forum and put that effort towards the game , you would actually get somewhere.

Also people are already crying before even testing out the ascended gear or even the patch as whole.
I don’t even think this is some sort of criticism , people are just arguing and ranting just for the sake of ranting now.

I used to enjoy forums on mostly all the older games i played , now nearly all game forums are full of pool of QQ about people wanting the game to be exactly a replica of an imaginary real life to replace theirs.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

The game I was sold and bought is not the game I expected based on that information.

I am sure 2 years from now Anet will look back at the train wreck and try to fix it, at that time I may return. I have already been let down by the incorrect info on Gear being the same across all formats (it is not, some stat combinations are not available in PvE and some are not available in PvP, I was sold this bunk that there would be no repeated gear grind, this new ascended crap is proof of that bunk).

I think they lost their vision along the way over the last 7 years.

Where is GvG in my GvG game?

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Ayane Hajinmon.9165

Ayane Hajinmon.9165

does no one on this forums play gw1? its just infuse armor >_<

Posted by: Nathanael.4398

Nathanael.4398

Why shall guilds fight each other when all races have to merge to stand up against the older dragons?
We first have to get rid of them and then… there could be a new Guild Wars about the newly conquered territory!

Please keep in mind that this game is a mmo RPG and has a story, so don’t violate this rule.

But yeah, gvg has to come sooner or later!

Posted by: Edewen.8304

Edewen.8304

Also, to the community, I believe most of you should wait to see what happens before expressing your rage/intent to quit and/or other negative hyperbole.

The problem with this logic is that if players “wait and see” it will be too late because once players have their hands on and invest in the new armor set, the backlash would be that much worse if it was nerfed to the level it SHOULD be. This thread, while it may contain a lot of unnecessary i quit posts, it simply the community voicing loudly their opinions about a press release that was quite clear in its wording. The following is quoted from that press release. Clearly, people who bought into this game for its “No Gear Treadmill” mantra are going to be upset. We feel lied to. False advertisement is a problem and while people may have had a blast up until now, many will refuse to hop on the treadmill. Such is my American right. No more treadmills.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/12/guild-wars-2s-lost-shores-content-primer/

“The patch will introduce ascended items. Ascended armors are “slightly more powerful than exotics” and can, in some cases, hold slots for infusions. Infusions will allow you to increase your character’s power."

Posted by: krookie.6378

krookie.6378

I highly doubt it’s a whole set. They were always looking for cool ways to implement back armour, this is likely one of their answers. It will just be a variety of back pieces.

Did you read the article? Here’s a quote from it:

…While it remains to be seen exactly how many new items are being added in terms of new weapon or armor sets, we do know that a new quality level is being introduced: Ascended. This will be one step higher than exotic quality items…

This basically implies that these will be a higher level of quality for all armor and weapon items. If you read a bit further it even states that there will be similar items added to old dungeons.

This quote though..:

According to ArenaNet, this new item quality is intended to help give the endgame a more distinct sense of progression

(edited by krookie.6378)

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

That would be fine, but no of those articles sounds like that.

We have to wait for the official statement and until then we can’t do anything expect showing Arena Net that we won’t be happy if they would add a new tier of gear.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

My real opinion is, that the stats are not better in damage/healing/whatever but have the ability to penetrate through the karkas armor.

The problem with that is that first we will need Karka gear, then we may need desert heat resist gear, then we might need no magnetic gear. Opening the door for needing specific gear sets for specific fights/locations is a terrible idea. It makes sense to need a support, a tanky, a dps, ect type gear set. But then to need those 3 but with Kraka Pen is as bad as a gear treadmill. Its and equivalent to old school fire or nature resist sets… cough cough.

Actually obtaining gear for specific areas while keep them at the same stat levels of exotic is not a bad idea for horizontal progression. Everquest did this with bane weapons vs a certain mob, you could add resist on armor vs a certain type of damage that those mobs might do and you create armor and weapons that are needed for “progression” through pve while it does not upset the balance of pvp.

With the idea they have for the new dungeon as it gets harder when you get deeper, it could be balanced so that as you get deeper you will need more of that gear to do better, to the end where you would need the full set.

It provides the “stats” for vertical progression players, the new looks for the horizontal fashion players, the increased difficulty for the hardcore players, and again does not upset the balance of having another new tier of gear in pvp.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: Velron.3729

Velron.3729

My real opinion is, that the stats are not better in damage/healing/whatever but have the ability to penetrate through the karkas armor.

If that’s the case, I wouldn’t mind it at all. However, the wording in some of these articles implies that they have higher stats than exotics.

Still waiting on clarification from Anet.

Agreed, I would be comepltely cool with infusing them in a similar manner to gw1, but a new set would probably kill any desire for me to continue playing this game. And on the note of the articles http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/previews/lost-shores-preview this one realllllyyy has me worried after reading it, anet really needs to put out a clarification soon.

Wow that article really paints the picture clearly of treadmill introduction. They do NEED to get that blog post out ASAP. This is ridiculous.

I for one will be done if they add a gear treadmill I am required to do to stay on even footin for my WvW PVPing.

You promised no treadmill anet. I sold many people on the game bc of that. The ability to easily max gear and then spend all my time in WvW is why I bought the game and the reason I continue to support by purchasing gems. Please don’t lie to me.

Fragg – Engineer | Lil Zek – Warrior PVP R43
[DA] Decisive Actions – Jade Quarry

(edited by Velron.3729)

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Here’s an idea on INFUSED ARMOR:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Infusion

So, the Infusion might not effect anything other than the dungeon itself. The increased slots effect the other.

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

I highly doubt it’s a whole set. They were always looking for cool ways to implement back armour, this is likely one of their answers. It will just be a variety of back pieces.

…While it remains to be seen exactly how many new items are being added in terms of new weapon or armor sets, we do know that a new quality level is being introduced: Ascended. This will be one step higher than exotic quality items…

Articles are written by 3rd parties.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/november-2012/

This link, which is an official source, although incomplete says nothing about these items being more powerful, specifically states Infusions are from dungeons (note the plural form) and shows an image of a ascended back piece on a character wearing starter armour. This + the fact the entire update revolves around the Karka tells me more than articles on random gaming sites that never are 100% accurate.

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

Posted by: Keirion.9105

Keirion.9105

As I posted back 20 pages or so, the biggest issue for me is how they disseminated this information through 3rd parties before bringing it to their fan base that has caused so many to be concerned and potentially misunderstand the concept. I know a blog is in the works but i think it would be beneficial to get some feedback sooner rather than later to calm the crowd so to speak. This is a critical change to the game philosophy if true and will certainly bring some serious backlash from many which again begs the question, why not clearly spell this out before releasing this info to 3rd party sites?

My thoughts exactly. Arenanet may or may not be changing their design philosophy but if they are then they should have announced it, not let 3rd parties do it and if they aren’t they shouldn’t have let those 3rd parties post misleading info.

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

If this is a one time rework of the gear progression, which they give good reason for and promise to never allow again, I think I might be okay with that.

I can understand people making mistakes – it happens. Let’s support their creative freedom to correct those.

I can not tolerate broken promises. These games take a lot of time and investment, and I am just not going to get involved with a Gamemaster (yes, a paid story-teller service) I don’t trust.

Eagerly awaiting this blog.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

Posted by: Mephane.8496

Mephane.8496

Well, my optimistic hope is that the idea of ‘Ascended’ gear came about as a response to feedback from players who can’t maintain interest in a game without vertical character progression. It’s not hard to find people who share that sentiment, asking for upgrades to gear. And there are relatively few people, up until this point, who have posted to argue against those people – presumably because the people who are opposed to vertical progression felt there was no need to speak up, as the game was already (mostly) serving their needs.

Exactly. And then, people who need vertical progression to remain interested in the game, the basic rule of greed applies. To paraphrase:

Greed is not satisfied by possessing things, only by a acquiring more.

The same is true for people who want a gear treadmill. For them it is the acquiring of the gear that is important, not actually having it, because that bores them extremely quickly; while on the other hand, many who came here under the explicit premise that there is no gear treadmill, are very content with not constantly acquiring new gear. My main character has been wearing the same stuff now for some weeks, and instead of getting bored, I feel even more invested into the game, because my character, her looks, playstyle, trait selection etc. has gained a sort of permanency I thought I could rely upon (and for which I also paid real money to transmute my gear together, by the way!).

Posted by: krookie.6378

krookie.6378

Articles are written by 3rd parties.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/november-2012/

This link, which is an official source, although incomplete says nothing about these items being more powerful, specifically states Infusions are from dungeons (note the plural form) and shows an image of a ascended back piece on a character wearing starter armour. This + the fact the entire update revolves around the Karka tells me more than articles on random gaming sites that never are 100% accurate.

This is why I’m waiting on clarification from Anet. The 3rd party articles make it sound suspect but I’d like to give the devs the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

HERE is something you should watch ..

Few points why horizontal progression is better than vertical progression.

Made by well known streamer

Dear ANET, As someone who is a huge advocate of ascended gear because I miss some notion of PvE competitiveness…I think Taugrim has definitely hit the nail on the head with some ideas…putting more effort into leaderboards for PvE content, cosmetic gear which we alrdy have but could be better…and heres something I’d love to see…progression of ability animations…you could have that fire mage do the same damage and ability as a level 1 dude…but doing x dungeon allows that fire spell to have some totally new and kick kitten animation. Combine that with better cosmetic looking stuff and leaderboards…suddenly your PvE scene is ROCKIN!

Contemplate this ANET…have a good day! =)

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

Well, my optimistic hope is that the idea of ‘Ascended’ gear came about as a response to feedback from players who can’t maintain interest in a game without vertical character progression. It’s not hard to find people who share that sentiment, asking for upgrades to gear. And there are relatively few people, up until this point, who have posted to argue against those people – presumably because the people who are opposed to vertical progression felt there was no need to speak up, as the game was already (mostly) serving their needs.

Exactly. And then, people who need vertical progression to remain interested in the game, the basic rule of greed applies. To paraphrase:

Greed is not satisfied by possessing things, only by a acquiring more.

The same is true for people who want a gear treadmill. For them it is the acquiring of the gear that is important, not actually having it, because that bores them extremely quickly; while on the other hand, many who came here under the explicit premise that there is no gear treadmill, are very content with not constantly acquiring new gear. My main character has been wearing the same stuff now for some weeks, and instead of getting bored, I feel even more invested into the game, because my character, her looks, playstyle, trait selection etc. has gained a sort of permanency I thought I could rely upon (and for which I also paid real money to transmute my gear together, by the way!).

Exactly, people that have buyed this game, and now they are bored because there is no vertical progression, they have simply buy the wrong game. Most of us are here EXACTLY for the NON VERTICAL progression.
ANd add more and difficult events, dosent mean add stronger items to balance, but simply add situations were players have to study new methods to overcome its obstacle.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

.progression of ability animations…you could have that fire mage do the same damage and ability as a level 1 dude…but doing x dungeon allows that fire spell to have some totally new and kick kitten animation. Combine that with better cosmetic looking stuff and leaderboards…suddenly your PvE scene is ROCKIN!

I love this idea. Even if there is no room for new animations, a new colored fireball for example would make me go in there again and again and again. Use this in WvW and the other guy lying at your feet knows: this dude hasn’t better stats than me, but he is a hell of a PvEer.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: souldonkey.9534

souldonkey.9534

ITT People assuming the worst based off a very small trickle of information

Well perhaps they should have put out an informational blog before giving out vague statements to the press first.

It would have curtailed a lot of this angst (or maybe not, depending on what the ascended gear really is).

Or maybe people should take responsibility for their own immature temper tantrums and not jump to conclusions over said vague information. Anet has ALWAYS been vague about their info. Why is this still surprising to people? When will people learn to not flip out over these kinds of announcements?

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

HERE is something you should watch ..

Few points why horizontal progression is better than vertical progression.

Made by well known streamer

Dear ANET, As someone who is a huge advocate of ascended gear because I miss some notion of PvE competitiveness…I think Taugrim has definitely hit the nail on the head with some ideas…putting more effort into leaderboards for PvE content, cosmetic gear which we alrdy have but could be better…and heres something I’d love to see…progression of ability animations…you could have that fire mage do the same damage and ability as a level 1 dude…but doing x dungeon allows that fire spell to have some totally new and kick kitten animation. Combine that with better cosmetic looking stuff and leaderboards…suddenly your PvE scene is ROCKIN!

Contemplate this ANET…have a good day! =)

So a “problem” with vertical scaling is being able to easily defeat things when you get more powerful. Actually, that’s just a matter of logic, if you can compete with a higher class of monster then the previous one suddenly doesn’t look so great. When you are level 60 fighting demon bears those normal level 5 equivalent to ones in the real world suddenly look weak, and this is part of the appeal of MMOs. What if Dragon kitten had an equivalent to level scaling? Something like this would go down:

(at a tournament)

Vegita: “How… how could I lose to Krillin!”

Krillin: “Power level scaling my good friend!”

Also, when I played WoW my level 85 friends would run me through the BC dungeons and help me gear and I myself returned to the BC zones to grind my dragon mounts. I also went to some newbie zones to grind reputation.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

Posted by: Pawlegance.7012

Pawlegance.7012

Dear ANet, please hotfix this discussion as you did with dye drop-rate being to high.

Posted by: Floryn.6307

Floryn.6307

Most likely this decision was taken after they analyzed the numbers of ppl actual playing the game and noticed a steady decrease in activity as the weeks were passing. Everything was made so reachable that people got what they wanted very fast and found little purpose to keep logging.

Oh and despite the popular belief a lot of players thought GW2 is a MMORPG and not a fashion contest, so whilst skins are great and can keep ppl busy for a while, eventually it gets old and they feel like the game has nothing to offer.

Personally, I’ve never seen a game fading out so fast, so IMO they drastically try to change one of their core philosophy in an attempt to stop this massive disinterest in the game.

I don’t get the 3rd party website BS either tbh, the info is there on their official site, it just need a cache flush (CTRL+F5).

Band of BrothersMore than a guild, more than a team

(edited by Floryn.6307)

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

Well perhaps they should have put out an informational blog before giving out vague statements to the press first.

It would have curtailed a lot of this angst (or maybe not, depending on what the ascended gear really is).

Or maybe people should take responsibility for their own immature temper tantrums and not jump to conclusions over said vague information. Anet has ALWAYS been vague about their info. Why is this still surprising to people? When will people learn to not flip out over these kinds of announcements?

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

What is vague about :

“The patch will introduce ascended items. Ascended armors are “slightly more powerful than exotics” and can, in some cases, hold slots for infusions. Infusions will allow you to increase your character’s power."

I’m not a native English but my grasp of the language is rather good. For me it’s written “the patch will introduce Ascended armors which are better than Exotic”

Posted by: Xyne.9104

Xyne.9104

I somehow believe that the vagueness was deliberate.

They are using it to test players/community reaction to changes.

While some feedbacks can be nonconstructive, I’ve seen a handful with really interesting ideas.

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

This better be PvE exclusive gear and not allowed in Wv3 b/c this is going to be terrible: forces me to do PvE dungeons just to get back to competitive levels. Not looking forward to that. If they are going to do this, they had better allow us to get this gear as Wv3 rewards. Forcing PvPers to do PvE content to play is wrong and goes against EVERYTHING that ANet has bodly stated.

Dang, I got beat by that guy b/c he is more skilled….

After Ascended gear?

Dang, I got beat by that guy b/c he had better gear…

Wrong wrong WRONG!

Posted by: Indigus.9528

Indigus.9528

Personally, I’ve never seen a game fading out so fast, so IMO they drastically try to change one of their core philosophy in an attempt to stop this massive disinterest in the game.

Personally this is the first MMO ive played (and ive played most of them since the start) that ISNT fading.

[FURY]honker
GH

souldonkey.9534

What is vague about :

I’m not a native English but my grasp of the language is rather good. For me it’s written “the patch will introduce Ascended armors which are better than Exotic”

Arenanet didn’t say that. A game news site did. Arenanet said that Ascended Items are “ancient and powerful artifacts” which is vague as kitten.

Posted by: CJAncients.6907

CJAncients.6907

Even if the gear is only limited to PvE, people will still end up locked out of new dungeons because their gear couldn’t keep up.

souldonkey.9534

I somehow believe that the vagueness was deliberate.

They are using it to test players/community reaction to changes.

While some feedbacks can be nonconstructive, I’ve seen a handful with really interesting ideas.

I have also noticed a trend of releasing vague info, letting the community rage for a bit, and then putting out the fire. You don’t do that as often as Anet does without it being at least a little intentional.

Sky.9347

I believe Fractal implies they will be somewhat randomized within a fractal pattern.

I hope it is just a “survivor mode” type of thing.

Posted by: Asher.6214

Asher.6214

Seems like a good thing to me if you really think about it. Exotic armor is pretty boring; just stats for you to skin however you like. If Ascended armor has bonus effects that makes each one unique or interesting it can add a nice layer to getting loot that isn’t there currently. This also isn’t tiered progression. Tiered progression would be getting more exotics just higher stats. This seems to be a whole new level of gear that hopefully more varied then what we have atm.

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

I admit, I am jumping to conclusions and overreacting. Others may disagree, but for me, new gear with slightly better stats isn’t an issue. Except if the only way to get that gear is to dungeon grind. I don’t like dungeon grinding, especially in an MMO with no dungeon finder, and I refuse to do it.

But maybe it will be available for badges (that can be gotten in the same amount of time as someone earning the gear through dungeons) and through crafting (with mats that won’t take any longer to gather than it takes to get the gear through dungeons or WvW).

Maybe it won’t involve massive amounts of gold somewhere in the equation that will drive people into the cash shop or back to farming so obsessively that they get mistaken for bots.

Maybe I’m wrong and pessimistic and cranky for nothing.

Maybe.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Posted by: HeeHee.5208

HeeHee.5208

Time will tell if GW2 turns from a casual game to a hardcore “gear tread milling” elitist game! _

Posted by: Edewen.8304

Edewen.8304

Arenanet didn’t say that. A game news site did. Arenanet said that Ascended Items are “ancient and powerful artifacts” which is vague as kitten.

You say this as if the only information the 3rd party site have is from the website. If the articles were inaccurate translations of what is to be expected then… wait for it…. ANET WOULD NOT HAVE GIVEN POSTED THE LINKS.

By promoting the articles, they in fact put their seal of approval on its content.

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

So a “problem” with vertical scaling is being able to easily defeat things when you get more powerful. Actually, that’s just a matter of logic, if you can compete with a higher class of monster then the previous one suddenly doesn’t look so great.

No, a treadmill is a very valid analogy. You may be getting stronger than those bears, but your relative power to the highest tier of PvE content is still the same. The next tier is balanced with owning the previous tier of gear in mind, so comparatively, you’re as powerful vs. the latest baddie as you were vs. the previous baddie before you ground out said baddie’s gear.

It’s an illusion of progress.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

stof.9341

And all those different news site pulled that exact same info out of nowhere? Was that some collective hallucination and ArenaNet never said anything of the like in their press release? And putting links to those news sites on their official Twitter without any problem, without any remark isn’t saying that they see no problem with what was posted?

They sure said they’ll post some blog thing to explain everything. But people have the right to be scared of such info just because it was presented in such a way. It is THEIR fault this is happening.

souldonkey.9534

You say this as if the only information the 3rd party site have is from the website. If the articles were inaccurate translations of what is to be expected then… wait for it…. ANET WOULD NOT HAVE GIVEN POSTED THE LINKS.

By promoting the articles, they in fact put their seal of approval on its content.

That doesn’t mean they went through the article with a fine tooth comb. They read it, felt it was good enough, and allowed it to be posted. You’re reaching.

Posted by: Floryn.6307

Floryn.6307

Personally this is the first MMO ive played (and ive played most of them since the start) that ISNT fading.

I’ve spoken with over 30 guild leaders in last 2 weeks and even the guilds that had over 200 players are now barely see 5-10 ppl logging, so whilst I can’t speak on a large scale, I can at least tell you that players that swore that this game will keep them playing for years, have suddenly “disappeared”.

They need to bring a “carrot” to motivate ppl and skins it’s just not gonna cut it anymore, no idea if the new armor stats will change this, but what’s interesting is that they at least acknowledge they have a problem, unlike the dedicated fans. -)

Band of BrothersMore than a guild, more than a team

(edited by Floryn.6307)

Posted by: bcbully.7289

bcbully.7289

That would be fine, but no of those articles sounds like that.

We have to wait for the official statement and until then we can’t do anything expect showing Arena Net that we won’t be happy if they would add a new tier of gear.

speak for yourself. I would be very happy.

fixit.7189

This is not a good thing for Wv3, it will mean if you dont have this gear: you are dead meat. Also if you don’t have this gear; you will not be getting invites to dungeon runs due to the elitist PvEers.

“LF2m X dungeon; must link/show Ascended gear!”

Great, thanks Anet.

Ascended gear means that this game suddenly becomes just like every other MMO out there with their gear tread mills which ANet told us is not how they wanted this game to be. I guess they decided to throw that stance right out the window….

(edited by fixit.7189)

Sky.9347

I’ve spoken with over 30 guild leaders in last 2 weeks and even the guilds that had over 200 players are now barely see 5-10 ppl logging, so whilst I can’t speak on a large scale, I ca at least tell you that players that swear that this game will keep them playing for years, have suddenly “disappeared”.

They need to bring a “carrot” to motivate ppl and skins it’s just not gonna cut it anymore, no idea if the new armor stats will change this, bu what’s interesting is that they at least acknowledge they have a problem, unlike the dedicated fans. -)

That’s an interesting idea, but let’s be real here.

The skins kind of suck.

Most of us understand that when you release a game this huge, this different, things like skins will be a 2nd priority.
But, for them to completely give up on the whole idea before even releasing any kitten skins (aside from Legendaries which are a little too ridiculous to grind) which might motivate people is stupid.

I don’t use that word lightly, but I really can’t think of a better one than stupid.

Posted by: Arsenal.2601

Arsenal.2601

Look, I enjoy reading page after page of wailing and teeth gnashing as much as the next person. I’m only human after all. And panic based on trickles of information reported from largely secondary (even if reliable) sources is an age old and cherished tradition. I’m not suggesting for a moment anyone take that sacred right away.

And, yes, November 16th is long way away -but imagine how much more righteous the anguished howling could be, if you wait until you’re actually holding a piece of this fallen sky, and you know what it actually looks like.

“I’m always achieving greatness!”

(edited by Arsenal.2601)

souldonkey.9534

And all those different news site pulled that exact same info out of nowhere? Was that some collective hallucination and ArenaNet never said anything of the like in their press release? And putting links to those news sites on their official Twitter without any problem, without any remark isn’t saying that they see no problem with what was posted?

They sure said they’ll post some blog thing to explain everything. But people have the right to be scared of such info just because it was presented in such a way. It is THEIR fault this is happening.

People are losing their minds over nothing here. Nothing has been explained here. The only thing that even your precious news sites said was that the ascended “items” are better than exotics. That does not mean they will be required for anything. That does not mean it’s a new tier of armor. That does not mean that you’re exotic armor is worthless.

That. does. not. mean. anything. People are blowing this out of proportion with having little to no information about it. Even the “news” sites people seem so fond of referring to don’t have anything on them more than “they’re better than exotic”. NOWHERE does it say anything about Ascended Items even being armor.

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

I’ve spoken with over 30 guild leaders in last 2 weeks and even the guilds that had over 200 players are now barely see 5-10 ppl logging, so whilst I can’t speak on a large scale, I can at least tell you that players that swore that this game will keep them playing for years, have suddenly “disappeared”.

They need to bring a “carrot” to motivate ppl and skins it’s just not gonna cut it anymore, no idea if the new armor stats will change this, bu what’s interesting is that they at least acknowledge they have a problem, unlike the dedicated fans. -)

That carrot is PVP and PVE BALANCE… most of the player that are lefting are people that follow this project from the beginning, they was expencting something they simply dont have after the purchase of this product.
A new tier (if its exist) need only to make angry, other old follower of the project.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

fixit.7189

What trickles of information? There is only one real sentance that matters and that is the one that says: Ascended gear will be better than exotics.

That right there is proof they are going tier gear route now. So every month or two they will up the bar making previous sets worse and new ones better. Hello typical MMO gear treadmill! Hello winning PvP by gear and not skill. GG?

stof.9341

People are losing their minds over nothing here. Nothing has been explained here. The only thing that even your precious news sites said was that the ascended “items” are better than exotics. That does not mean they will be required for anything. That does not mean it’s a new tier of armor. That does not mean that you’re exotic armor is worthless.

That. does. not. mean. anything. People are blowing this out of proportion with having little to no information about it. Even the “news” sites people seem so fond of referring to don’t have anything on them more than “they’re better than exotic”. NOWHERE does it say anything about Ascended Items even being armor.

They are better! How can they not make Exotics obsolete? Why aren’t you playing with all level 80 blues and telling people around you that it doesn’t matter, exotics are only slightly better anyway.

If they are only 1% better, why make them better in the first place and put that much emphasis on the fact? If they are really better, why wouldn’t they make Exotics obsolete?

Also, let me repeat that

Notice the “Ascended armors are (…)” part. Here you go, Ascended armor is better than exotic armor.