Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Snow.5269

Snow.5269

I am really hoping this is still being misinterpreted somehow & A-NET just needs to clarify. As a customer what I am reading is “Never ending gear treadmill that completely contradicts GW2 mission statement.”

Posted by: Talloc.6835

Talloc.6835

Even if this is a one time thing and Anet totally swears they’re not going to add any more stats (We promise guys, this is it okay?) it still means that two years from now, after a few new classes are added you’ll be running that same dungeon because it gives better loot than you can get anywhere.

So we’re either setting a precedent for tiers of loot, or Anet has made the best dungeon in any MMO and is kitten proud of it.

Posted by: Wiggles.6248

Wiggles.6248

i love how a large group of people complained there was nothing to do end game (apparently), so they gave everyone something to do… now no one wants to do it???

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

People who left becouse of lack of gear progression will come back.
For a 2 days. They will grind another tier and leave again.
People who are not interested in gear progression would play this game for months. And now they might leave.
I can’t see the reason in this..

Or they will get their ascended rings in a couple runs of fractals before even fully clearing the place and think to themselves…“well that was easy…I complained over that?”

Posted by: Volmarg.4310

Volmarg.4310

I just can’t w8 to see ppl rage-quiting.
I’ve chosen this game because of the time spent on gw1.
Gw 1 was/IS awesome because You don’t have to grind for everything to enjoy the game with friends.
Now as I see the new ,,Armor" with ,,Power slot" it makes me think about other … typical mmorpg.
So far, here we go only with new armor, which is obviously a joke for me, as a player which can’t afford himself to get the armor from dungeon ( personal stuff).
You ppl can think that I’,m just whining. But this can get out of control and soon, we can get stupid lvl gap,
an god knows what kind of alchemy for items upgrade 1/2/+60. As I’ve played gw1, I’ve expected that this game will rather provide me fun with ppl than days/weeks of grinding.
So far I’m fine with the game it’s really nice, how I can spend time with ppl having my characters maxed.
But as I’ve just wrote…. let’s w8… till something goes wrong.
Ascended armor would be fine as a armor equivalent to Legendaries. But the slot… oh well.
Whining mode: Off.

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

lets be real here folks.

the majority of you that said you aren’t gonna play anymore………………….are gonna play. cmon now. You will. It’s a free game.

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

this feels like a bad nightmare

Posted by: Zefiris.8297

Zefiris.8297

so they gave everyone something to do…

We love things to do, just not things that raise the power plateau

Posted by: Lazuris.7081

Lazuris.7081

No.

If I wanted to play a gear threadmill, I would have just started to play wow/rift/etc. GW2 was supposed to be a next gen MMO relatively grind n gear free.

Posted by: Fredrik.7549

Fredrik.7549

I played wow and stopped in the beginning of cata. I promised myself to never return to that game or even play another mmorpg again. But a few weeks ago I found out about Guild Wars 2. No subscription fee and no gear treadmill. I bought it the same day figured it was worth trying just based on that.

Now a few weeks later I see this. They are already releasing better gear and it’s all the same as any other mmo. I have not even made it to 80 yet and have several characters around level 30-40. I did not even make it to 80 before new and better stat gear was released. I already used 20 euro for gems and that is only after a few weeks of play. Who knows how much I would have used in a year? That is now money Anet will never have.

Now why in the world would I continue to play this game now? If I wanted to waste my life and grind for stats gears then I would have stayed in wow since they at least had world pvp which was the only reason I played the game. This game does not even have that and it is a worse game. But since there is no gear grind and it’s no subscription fee it is perfect for what I am looking for. The gear grind was the reason I left other mmo’s since that is just a big waste of my real and only life. Now this will turn in the same direction and now it is just another one of all those braindead gear grinds. I will leave this game just as fast as I bought it.

I must thank you Anet because this certainly made me stay away from mmorpg for the rest of my life. If a game which main selling point is “no gear progression” start to have just that. Then there is no hope to ever find another mmorpg that actually stick to no gear progression. So this was my last try of an mmorpg and I will now return to real life and only stick to a few hours of console gaming.

I honestly mean this: Thank you!

Posted by: Amulrei.4973

Amulrei.4973

People who left becouse of lack of gear progression will come back.
For a 2 days. They will grind another tier and leave again.
People who are not interested in gear progression would play this game for months. And now they might leave.
I can’t see the reason in this..

My point exactly. Pissing off your loyal fan base to win the short-term support of WoW fans and grind-loving masochists seems like pure stupidity. I fail to see the logic here.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Slippery slopes makes me unhappy. It might make me leave the game if it gets out of hand and I love this game As long as it’s 3 stats points but next time the elitists cry for higher and higher stats while the real normal people can’t compete anymore in WvW with their exotics vs tier 100 ascended with “only” +200 on every stat.

No … big no. Time to rethink this arena.net. You’re attacking your core public. Especially:

Original Guild Wars fans may recognize that we took a familiar approach to our new progression.

With respect, but this is anything BUT familiar. The stat cap was set on release day and never changed in GW1. Slapping on a familiar mechanic to kitten the game’s core philosophy is NOT familiar. It’s an insult.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

Because people, including me, do not want to be forced to play a certain amount to remain in the game. Its the reason we loved GW1 and this area where GW2 was promised to be the same is the reason we like it too. More shinies, more stuff all good. More powerful stuff, bad. Its not complicated man.

That’s right. It’s not complicated.

YOUR’E making it complicated.

What is preventing you from remaining in the game accept the pressure you put on yourself to keep up?

Keep up with who?

See?

There’s no issue here accept that which players create for themselves.

Who said anything about quitting the game? (I know other people are, I have not) All I stated is that I will like Anet and GW2 less for doing this, and the reasons why. If you are still genuinely confused as to why people dont like this situation then Im afraid I cant explain it any more clearly – new stuff good, more powerful stuff bad.

Posted by: hplee.2839

hplee.2839

Yes to the new tier of gear…

the tier of tears

Orisis Stonehart
Blackgate Militia

Posted by: Alice.8694

Alice.8694

Ah, the same response you gave me from earlier. Care to explain why they’re adding one set of armor with a new mechanic on it and it’s only happening this one time?

Or I guess you could just link your slippery slope argument website again.

Being an kitten won’t make your arguments any less fallacious, you realise this right?

You’re the one claiming they are going to add additional armour tiers after this one, therefore the burden of proof is on you. And as I already pointed out to you “Because they just added one” isn’t a sufficient answer.

They are pretty clear in the blog post why exactly they are adding an additional item rarity. Perhaps you should read it. :P

Posted by: Yamiino.1827

Yamiino.1827

i love how a large group of people complained there was nothing to do end game (apparently), so they gave everyone something to do… now no one wants to do it???

My game was fine, I still have A LOT of things to do in this game, sorry for those that claim that they finished the game in a week, but they havent, they just can’t think of a better thing to do than farm in Orr…

Talloc.6835

lets be real here folks.

the majority of you that said you aren’t gonna play anymore………………….are gonna play. cmon now. You will. It’s a free game.

Actually, Guild Wars 2 was sort of going to be my last MMO. The way they set it up kind of spoiled me, especially after a few years of playing WoW.

Then they toss what made it fun out of the window. It’s left a bad taste in my mouth. I’m trying really hard to get them to see why it’s a bad idea. They made a game perfect for a niche market, and now they’re messing it all up.

Posted by: Rekuja.6318

Rekuja.6318

No…

Hell no…

New content? Yes..
New Gear? Only cosmetic please..

where’s that promise?

Posted by: Lalan.3051

Lalan.3051

I am completely burnt out on MMO gear grinds. The ease at which you could reach the " power plateau" in GW2 was something special and I am incredibly disappointed to see the direction they’re taking.

Posted by: Mil.3562

Mil.3562

No.

After spending much time on getting my full set of exotic gears and now barely a month later, they are going to be outclassed and outdated? Thanks ANet.

Please do not turn this game into one that favours only players who can afford to spend 12-15 hours everyday grinding for gears.

(edited by Mil.3562)

Oreoz.2573

lets be real here folks.

Actually, Guild Wars 2 was sort of going to be my last MMO. The way they set it up kind of spoiled me, especially after a few years of playing WoW.

Then they toss what made it fun out of the window. It’s left a bad taste in my mouth. I’m trying really hard to get them to see why it’s a bad idea. They made a game perfect for a niche market, and now they’re messing it all up.

well they just added more content and more gear and when you consider the static leveling curve it wasn’t gonna take you any longer to get it than it would’ve to get exotics but you don’t like to play mmos anymore so buh bye

sorry for being a kitten but I’m trying to get people to realize how stupid it is to complain about all this.

marnick.4305

Ah, the same response you gave me from earlier. Care to explain why they’re adding one set of armor with a new mechanic on it and it’s only happening this one time?

Or I guess you could just link your slippery slope argument website again.

Being an kitten won’t make your arguments any less fallacious, you realise this right?

You’re the one claiming they are going to add additional armour tiers after this one, therefore the burden of proof is on you. And as I already pointed out to you “Because they just added one” isn’t a sufficient answer.

They are pretty clear in the blog post why exactly they are adding an additional item rarity. Perhaps you should read it. :P

The added rarity should have been a reward in and of itself. The ascended slot was nice if and only if it’s pve only for specific dungeons. The increased base stats are the actual insult, the added rarity and new slots I’m totally okay with.

Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Alice.8694

There is a point in life, where, logical falacies hold no importance.

http://mmohuts.com/gamelist

See al those names? they are all (ok. 99%) games that in one point in their lives were pushed a bit or missed the navigation for 1 milimeter. All of them.

Empirical proofs > Logical Fallacies. Even if it is a fallacy, i still hold an almost countless number of examples of my tesis, while you, on the other hand, even claiming me being wrong by these logical fallacy… How much games from there you can name that hasn`t become and endless snowball till crash to become nothing more than a wasteland?

Even more important, what will be diferent from after this between GW2 and every other game on that list? Every other game has something GW2 has but better, even some of them have most things GW2 has but better.

The only thing could do more harm to the game than this is making a p2w cash shop.

You have yet to demonstrate how this is going to be a power creep. Which is the entirely crux of your argument. This is essentially your assumption, based solely on the nature of other games by other development teams.

If you can point out, which part of this announcement explicitly points out that arenanet are turning GW2 into a gear threadmill, power creep snowball. Then your argument might actually hold weight. But you cannot, because it’s simply not there.

Talloc.6835

lets be real here folks.

well they just added more content and more gear and when you consider the static leveling curve it wasn’t gonna take you any longer to get it than it would’ve to get exotics but you don’t like to play mmos anymore so buh bye

sorry for being a kitten but I’m trying to get people to realize how stupid it is to complain about all this.

Ah well, I guess if you’re going to be an kitten I can be one too.

Go back to WoW if you want your +5 rings.

Posted by: clipnotdone.9634

clipnotdone.9634

All of my thoughts on this aside, this is something Anet said they weren’t going to do, and now they are doing it.

And now my thoughts:

I don’t like it.
Gear treadmills are bad.
If you think they are good, then you are bad.

Gear progression go home.

25/90 never forget.

Posted by: demonbooker.2749

demonbooker.2749

That’s because the people complaining were, I suspect, the vocal minority who decided to not read or research what this game was supposed to be like. Then they kittened and moaned because there was no way for them to smack everyone else down with their kittens.

A.Net did not, however, make this decision based on community feed-back. This is long-term. They stated that this is “just the start of our item progression initiative.” If they had something like this ready within 2.5 months of going live, it’s been in development for the last 6 months, and just didn’t have the first phase of it in release.

Posted by: Shoros.3172

Shoros.3172

I just want to add that they openly say that this won’t be the end of item level progression:

In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content.

Brace yourselves…different tiers of ascended gear are coming.

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

I talked my friends into this game telling them that “its not like WoW, skill matters in this game, not gear!”
Im happy they didnt listen to me and saved them the dissapointment and betrayal I have experienced this day, its embarrasing that the manifesto is still online.

I did spoke about this too to some friends, but for now, I’ll be keeping this gear grind out of my commentaries in hope they fix (make them equal to Exotics).

Though, I feel like I should comment about it since the friends I’ve already invited for the Invite a Friend program will surely want to buy the game after they try it… (we’re long time gaming friends)

I… I… I don’t know how I should do it.

“Woa the game is great just like you’ve told us, I’m buying mine today!”
“Er… wait a second… I think you might want to reconsider…”

And this right after we quit WoW because we got tired of grinding the best gear, and being reseted every new expansion. The patches bugged us, but at least our gear wasn’t fully reseted by greens/blues from questing.

Posted by: Shaade.2013

Shaade.2013

No.
New stuff yes, higher stats on said stuff, no.

Posted by: Fallen Angel.5092

Fallen Angel.5092

LF2M Fractal, link all Ascension gear or NO INVITE

LF2M AC, link all Exotic gear or NO INVITE.

See what I did there?

So long as ArenaNet doesn’t make the dungeons impossible to do without Ascended gear, but can be done in your Greens and Blues, there is no problem.

To be speculative of the blog post, sine people are choosing to take the OMG TREADMILL path, I’m going to speculate on the Deeper through the Fractals path. What I read into this was its infinitely scaling difficulty, not the first “tier” of the dungeon. I could be wrong, but the lot whining and wailing about a gear treadmill (that already exists in the form of fine, masterwork, rare, and exotic) could be wrong as well.

The doom and gloomers in this thread are not the majority, this design choice clearly makes it out you’re not. I doubt your leaving this game will have a dramatic effect on my, or anyone who decides to stay, gameplay experience.

Didn’t you read the blog post? Ascended gear with agony defense infusion is going to be required to complete the new dungeon.

Here’s the quote:

Players who wish to delve deep into the Fractals will find that Agony makes progress increasingly difficult, until they reach the point where some defense against this condition is a must.

You can only get agony defense infusions on ascended armor, therefore you will not be able to complete the whole of the new dungeon with exotics, blues, greens, whites whatever.

Please tell me where it says the entirety of the dungeon (9 wings) can NOT be completed without the Ascended gear. I will definitely agree that the harder playthroughs will require it, be it 2nd time, 3rd, or 30th.

Seeing as we will not be starting immediately with Ascended gear, I am willing to bet there will be quite a few runs through it on X, Y, or Z difficulty until your group has enough Ascended pieces to continue on to the harder difficulties of the exact same dungeon with higher tuned numbers (higher Agony damage most likely).

There is nothing in the blog regarding the, I’ll call it “Dungeon Level 0”, Fractals being 100% unbeatable without a single piece of Ascended gear. I’m going to be sticking with my hopes that this infinitely scaling dungeon can be completed on at least 1 level of difficulty without a single piece of Ascended, anything after that is just for personal, guild, or server-wide boasting, nothing more. This is unless you get better rewards for doing a Fractals 10 run vs Fractals 2 run. Better does not always mean more, so more drops of loot would be fine.

This is largely speculation on my part, but I’m more the cup is half full type most of the time.

To the person who said a better example would have been Arrah. Yeah, but does it make it any less true? Artificial gear gating already being present by people who want to maximize their efficiency at completing a challenge already exists. Nothing is going to change that.

I don’t mind this at all. So long as you are able to complete this new dungeon and any dungeons to come later on at least ONE difficulty level with your other gear levels, this Exotic gear 2.0 won’t matter other than to add a little fluff to those who really wanted it.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

Oh, I will play. I just won’t be spending any cash the game anymore, invite others to try this game out or buy any expansions. I also won’t be attending their special event in LA, run their new dungeon or visit the new area.

I really liked the game up until this point, but I’m not an addict. ANet doesn’t have me wrapped around their finger. I can and will stop supporting them whenever I choose to.

Posted by: Caliburn.3421

Caliburn.3421

No.

I don’t want my aesthetic investments (skins, fine transmutation stones) on exotic gear wasted. I spend a great deal of time arranging my characters’ appearances and stats to my liking, and I resent a new tier of equipment invalidating all my work. I wouldn’t have spent a considerable amount of gold, tokens, and karma on non-max gear. Why do I need to use another fine transmutation stone to tide my favorite skin over again and lose an exotic piece in the process?

Posted by: Alexander Dragonfang.1759

Alexander Dragonfang.1759

If you can point out, which part of this announcement explicitly points out that arenanet are turning GW2 into a gear threadmill, power creep snowball. Then your argument might actually hold weight. But you cannot, because it’s simply not there.

Maybe you missed it but…

https://d2vn94glaxzkz3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ascended-EN.png

There you have it, power creep, small, weak, almost unoticable, but power creep after all.

Posted by: masterludda.3476

masterludda.3476

Yes to all of the new content i like the new gear concept.

Posted by: Omnio.3652

Omnio.3652

Yes to content, maybe for gear.

First I thought, gear progression sux, I still think so, skill is what matters and fun in dungeons etc. But if I’m right, this gear is supposed to be infused, we had that in GW 1 too, does it mean Mursaats? But most importantly, lets see how different that equip is.

P.S. I think that making a decision (if they do it I hope not) based on forums is bad as hell. I’m happy with the game and I’m not comin on forums sayin, I like the game as it is. I’M happy therefore I play. Hopefuly they won’t listen much to all WoW fans here who are sayin, make it more WoW. Lets stay Guild Wars, shall we?

Was he swedish?
Yes.
A moose. It was a moose.

Oreoz.2573

Because people, including me, do not want to be forced to play a certain amount to remain in the game. Its the reason we loved GW1 and this area where GW2 was promised to be the same is the reason we like it too. More shinies, more stuff all good. More powerful stuff, bad. Its not complicated man.

That’s right. It’s not complicated.

YOUR’E making it complicated.

What is preventing you from remaining in the game accept the pressure you put on yourself to keep up?

Keep up with who?

See?

There’s no issue here accept that which players create for themselves.

Who said anything about quitting the game? (I know other people are, I have not) All I stated is that I will like Anet and GW2 less for doing this, and the reasons why. If you are still genuinely confused as to why people dont like this situation then Im afraid I cant explain it any more clearly – new stuff good, more powerful stuff bad.

That still doesn’t explain it.

and you said “remain in the game” so I took that as “potentially quit.”

The flat leveling curve means it’s not gonna take you any longer to get ascended gear than it would’ve to get exotics and if you already have ur exotics then it looks like you have to play the game i’m assuming that genuinely enjoy for a few hours to get ascended gear.

So it looks like Anet gave you more gear and more fun content through which to acquire it.

So if you can’t explain to me why everyone is complaining about that than I’m stuck believing there is no real issue here and we’re looking at 50 pages of people crying wolf.

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Here is a question to all you complainers, how would you fix the game?
You dont like Ascended gear? Well give suggestions on how to keep this game alive, because as it is right now Guild Wars 2 is dying.
One point everyone is skipping in that blog post was that we the players have gone through content extremely quickly, far more quicker than Arenanet had planned.
Thousands among thousands of people are complaining this game has nothing to do at level 80, people are getting bored, people are leaving.
If you dont want Ascended items so badly STOP complaining about them and start thinking of other ways to fix this game and satisfy the needs of a very large and diverse player base.

They could have left ascended with the same stats of the exotics with the gem, they obviously wanted to use the slot for the new gems to use on the new agony mechanic.
They could have even took 10 stats off of three and added it to another stat on the armor. 63 power 63 precision 7% mf = 53 power 53 precision 5% mf 30 toughness.

They could have made new weapons for those specific dungeons that had increased damage to certain mobs, fill it up with krait and then reward weapons that did more damage as you got further into the dungeon 10 20 30% vs krait.

It’s not that hard to think outside of the box, they choose the easiest way to go about this. It affects pvp and wvw, people ignore that if they don’t pvp, but there’s a big crowd that does it and it now affects them, and now forces them to do pve in order to keep up with the max gear. Over time as they introduce more gear it will make a difference in pvp, just as much as an 80 in full exotic has an advantage over a level 20 scaled to 80.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

(edited by Xenesis.6389)

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

That still doesn’t explain it.

and you said “remain in the game” so I took that as “potentially quit.”

The flat leveling curve means it’s not gonna take you any longer to get ascended gear than it would’ve to get exotics and if you already have ur exotics then it looks like you have to play the game i’m assuming that genuinely enjoy for a few hours to get ascended gear.

So it looks like Anet gave you more gear and more fun content through which to acquire it.

So if you can’t explain to me why everyone is complaining about that than I’m stuck believing there is no real issue here and we’re looking at 50 pages of people crying wolf.

Again, its not about the time it takes or the rate at which it happens, its that it happens at all. If you really want to understand it, really genuinely understand it, look at the history of GW1. I do not want a constantly changing top standard of gear forcing me to play a minimum amount to remain in the same ballpark (of effectiveness, happy for them to have cooler stuff) as people who play more than me. GW, 1 and 2 were built around the idea of a level playing field for everyone no matter how much they played (beyond a very low entry point) and player skill being the deciding factor. This update seems to indicate that is no longer the design for GW2. This makes me sad.

With the best will in the world, you seem like a nice guy, so please try to realize that your opinion is not correct just because it is yours and other peoples are not incorrect just because they are different. If, objectively, there was no reason to be upset here then people would not be. Its a completely subjective matter and people will disagree on it. In the same way that I am perfectly happy for you to not be upset about this thing please give me the same courtesy and accept that I am upset even if you don’t understand why.

(edited by Webba.3071)

Talloc.6835

It generally works fine in all games.

In most MMOs you need a certain stat threshold for progression purposes.

Agony is no different than requiring your main tank in WoW have a certain amount of health, block, dodge, armor, etc…

And agony is built into the dungeon itself, meaning to get good at the dungeon, you need to run that dungeon. Unlike other games where you’re grinding gear for the next tier of content.

Read up on why LotRO is dead and why WoW doesn’t bother with resistance checks anymore.

and I don’t know why you guys keep saying that to be good at something you need the best gear. That’s half the problem right there.

Alice.8694

Maybe you missed it but…

https://d2vn94glaxzkz3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ascended-EN.png

There you have it, power creep, small, weak, almost unoticable, but power creep after all.

But not a snowball, that is simply a higher plateau. The argument you are making is that somehow these ascended items are going to break the level limit and get progressively stronger.
Nothing mentioned here actually supports that.

Posted by: Kuishen.6140

Kuishen.6140

Whole lotta ASSuming in this thread.

The only even remotely solid argument people have against ANet currently is that they are saying that you might NEED ascended armor with infusions to “complete” Fractals of the Mists.

To them I say this: (Based on the information we have)

It’s a randomized infinite dungeon. First of all you don’t “complete” it because it is infinite. You will get to experience all of the content within that dungeon because of the random factor. The only thing that ascended/infusions MIGHT give you is a chance to go deeper in one run. However based on the fact that you can do all PvE content easily in masterwork gear, I’m just gonna go ahead and assume that like Exotics, it’s simply a way to maximize your performance and give you a bit more padding.

If that is the case then what is the issue? Everybody will get to do everything. A few more stats in WvW is negligible but gives hardcore players something to work towards IF THEY CHOOSE. Sounds like something this game desperately needs.

I have never seen anybody do the “can’t join if you don’t have exotics” thing when shouting for members. If you do, then tell them to kitten off and find another group. Believe it or not, everybody is not an kitten.

marnick.4305

Nay for stat-based gear progression.

Linsey

Original Guild Wars fans may recognize that we took a familiar approach to our new progression.

NAY this ain’t familiar. It’s an insult to fans of the original Guild Wars.

Posted by: Dogblaster.6713

Dogblaster.6713

Oh, I will play. I just won’t be spending any cash the game anymore, invite others to try this game out or buy any expansions. I also won’t be attending their special event in LA, run their new dungeon or visit the new area.

I really liked the game up until this point, but I’m not an addict. ANet doesn’t have me wrapped around their finger. I can and will stop supporting them whenever I choose to.

Same, wont invite any of friends and wont spend any real money into gem store.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

Well, if the change ends up being for better or for worse, making this many of your players this angry is never a good thing. It’s too close to launch now to remove it, but I’m sure this thread and the sheer number of views/replies and complaints will come up if the idea is ever proposed in a meeting again.

A.net was pretty open about experimenting with things to see what would work and what wouldn’t. You guys keep bringing up the Golden Rules, well experimenting and tossing stuff out to see if we would be receptive to it was also one of those.

This was one of those experiments. We weren’t receptive. In fact a large number of people were destructively dismissive and at this point it doesn’t even matter if the content “works” or not. In their own terms here…they fell, scraped their knees and need to pick themselves up and remember this next time.

There are other forms of personal progression that can added to a game that don’t come with the stigma attached to increasing stats in new gear tiers. I’d wager we see start seeing those from now on. Now we should just let Lindsey lick her wounds so she can get back to the drawing board.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

I bet hìnumbers will show how bad this move is…
I m quite sure we will see a X0% drop in population (X>=1)……

I was playing a unique game….now i am paying one of many moorpg without fee…

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: elsbeth.3567

elsbeth.3567

You’re missing the fact that Linsey is a corporate weasel who uses such conveniently vague PR terms as “excited.” We’re all “excited,” obviously. Some negatively, some positively. If you really want their attention, organize a boycott of the gem shop for a specific, high-impact period—say, Black Friday through Christmas Eve.

Talloc.6835

Maybe you missed it but…

But not a snowball, that is simply a higher plateau. The argument you are making is that somehow these ascended items are going to break the level limit and get progressively stronger.
Nothing mentioned here actually supports that.

Do you know what the snowball argument actually is? Please don’t give me a link, I’d like it in your words.

Posted by: Franky Peanuts.4793

Franky Peanuts.4793

No way
How about this: the runes you gather from the dungeon fit into an entirely new slot that you have to pay to have installed on your gear. There’s your no power creep/continual progression grind solution with a little money sink on the side. Delicios

Posted by: Sadomator.6419

Sadomator.6419

Yes, i don’t have any problems with every upcoming updates.

Garl Vinnland – Guardian
Stormbluff Isle

Talloc.6835

lets be real here folks.

Ah well, I guess if you’re going to be an kitten I can be one too.

Go back to WoW if you want your +5 rings.

FACEPALM

I’m not even…just….ugh.

You went there?

Really?

“Go play WoW” = “I have no further argument.”

golfclap

It’s a niche game. I have plenty more to say about it, but most people in support of the change are simply regurgitating that “It’s not a slippery slope!” and “It makes me better because…???” and I’ve gotten tired of it.