Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vice.5247

Vice.5247

Well, you know what ? IF you let people use REAL MONEY to acquire an EASIER WAY to obtain full exotic / legendary than DON’T COMPLAIN if 3 months away from the release you’ll see a bunch of people already having it.

This already exists. Buy gems, trade gems for gold, buy exotics.

I know right .. but they said that they are frustrated because we were so fast obtaining those items.. in fact i was just saying that’s just plain stupid to say “Hey i’m frustrated because you were so fast” and then they give an EASY way to obtain this and they they all go SURPRISED becuase many of us already have that kind of equip …

If you give a man an easy way and a hard way to obtain a thing they will be tempted to follow the easy way so you can’t just be surprised if something like that happens .. it’s logical and predictable.

That’s what I personally was happy about — that I could get the very best gear stat wise in 3 weeks after game release and put it away and start working on another kitten. Legendaries, achievements, you name it. I didn’t have to care that if I would decide to do some WvW, some 12 yo kitten would kill me simply because he has a full tier better gear than me. Now I’ll have to either play with other ppl in dungeons (which I hate, and btw there isn’t even a good LFG tool to make it better), or live with a BY FAR inferior gear!! Wtf is this kitteneriously?!

Posted by: Sin.8174

Sin.8174

It’s not even out yet. We don’t know everything about them. God I can really hate the MMO community sometimes. But yes, I am excited for it.

THat article was 100% clear cut.

It’s gear progression. There’s no sugar coating it. They’re adding items with betetr stats, and will continue to do so with future releases. It’s starting as a ring and back piece, and then moving onto other pieces of armor.

It’s even stated... Legendaries are going to be made to be on par with this gear once the Ascended weapons are released.... As this is the HIGHEST tier of gear going to be created.

How can people not understand what was written? Again, it’s clear cut as plain as day.

I HATE dungeons. Can not stand them at all. Yet now I have to grind them just to get the latest gear to stay competitive in WvW. People think these stat differences are minor and won’t matter, but that’s not true. Stats always matter in PvP, no matter how small a difference.

I am not happy with this change. Great for new gear, but screw stat inflation.

Im totally excited.. I have no idea how people play this game but I seriously have nothing to do. I need to keep progress in order to have fun, this sounds like it might be what I’m looking for. I don’t know why people are against progression. Anet I don’t know how this will turn out but this is a brave move and I respect that. Believe it or not, most MMO players need to keep progressing otherwise they quit.

You want gear progressive games.. play one. There are plenty around. The nice thing about GW2 was the idea of no stat inflation. That the game was based on cosmetics. There are plenty of games that cater to your needs. Why can’t there be a game that caters to those that don’t want gear progression?

Orphyn X – 8X Thief – Tarnished Coast
Lady Raevyn – 11 Necromancer – TC
Fanboy- The New Godwin’s Law.

(edited by Sin.8174)

Posted by: Lani.1429

Lani.1429

I don’t think making stronger gear is better for the community. If you ask me everything in the game is fine as it is.

Posted by: Fallen Angel.5092

Fallen Angel.5092

This infusion thing reminds me of WoW’s standard dungeons vs heroic versions. You can do most standard instances virtually naked while heroics require certain gear level. Are heroics content? They most certainly are. The major difference is that WoW revolves around a gear treadmill so gear gated content is basically part of the overall philosophy. GW2 does not revolve around a gear grind, yet, and up until this new patch you have access to all content, provided that you’re a competent player.

The artificial barriers that other players put on each other to make their gaming time easier is not the same as a forced barrier by the game. With player created barriers you can still do the content with other players, with a dev enforced barrier you cannot.

Indeed, it is content, but because it is a gear progression game, and awards higher quality gear, it is a necessity. Now, if the further difficulty level of increasing Agony is like a Challenge Mode Dungeon, and only rewards the same thing you can get in a level 0 run, there is no problem. It’s all for kitten flexing rights, nothing more. It’s the reason people do challenge modes in WoW. Bragging rights or some cool rewards. Maybe at Fractals 100 you get a sweet helmet to transmute or a cool Greatsword skin. We don’t know what those rewards will be. I sincerely doubt it’s going to be another tier of gear, so I can only speculate it to be something cosmetic or slightly more loot drops. More does not always necessarily mean better rewards

Posted by: DUAxWolff.2759

DUAxWolff.2759

Posted by: Death by Chickens.6902

Death by Chickens.6902

Please learn to read with understanding.

Legendary are items already in game and they have the exact stats of exotics, but are hard to get.
However, Legendary =/= Ascended.
And if you look at the new Ascended ring, the difference in stats between it and Exotic is more than between Exotic and Rare, so it’s not even a small difference, as mentioned.

What? I did accidentally write exotic instead of ascended, which is what I meant. I’m not entirely sure what you’re saying here.

I understand perfectly well all the objections. I’m saying I agree with people giving feedback to ensure it doesn’t get out of hand. I don’t agree with people freaking out like it’s the end of the world.

Yes we need clarification though. I got the impression that the ascended infusion system is designed to function as horizontal progression, to allow them to add a sort of PvE dungeon progression system, without continually adding whole new tiers of items, only infusions.

I could be wrong, I totally agree the wording in the blog is a little… iffy. But kitten everyone is acting like this is the end of GW2. I played GW for years and I don’t believe this is the direction they plan on going.

Posted by: Cutterslaine.2689

Cutterslaine.2689

An ability to add another slot to exotic armor would have fixed the problem of progression and would have been the sensible answer. Imbued gear could of happened just like in Guild Wars using a quest chain or something like that.

Anet has it reasons for going down this route but to me is totally against their original manifesto.

I feel a bit let down, I was loving being able to play my different 80 alts and enjoying the different styles of gameplay on a level playing field with everyone else.

This will just funnel everyone into the same Dungeon for Ascended Items, why would they sell out like this?

So all my remaining time will be upgrading armor on my alts?

(edited by Cutterslaine.2689)

Posted by: Moka.9641

Moka.9641

If we compare the Yakkington’s Ring and the exotic Exploring Ring comparison image from the blog, we can obviously assess this:

Yakkington’s Ring vs Exo Exp Ring
+5 more power for Yakk
+5 more precision for Yakk
+ 3% more magic find for Yakk
+ Unused infusion slot for Yakk

So it’s clearly better, but not game breaking, even if you are full ascended gear which probably will probably you approximately 80-100 points of bonus stats(not sure, stats mismatch could be higher with other type of gear), until we know what the infusion slots do.

What we don’t really know for sure:

-How easy it will be to get that gear?
We can speculate that it will be time as it is supposed to give players a sense of progressions, but we don’t know for sure until we tried it and that only concerns the rings. We don’t know about the other types of ascended gear.

-What will infusion slots do?
I don’t know. Let’s wait and try it! According to this article
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/6882/A-Peek-into-the-November-Update.html/page/1
———————————————————————————————————————-
…‘’but some of the rarer Ascended items will also feature a new Infusion slot that will make players even more powerful so that they can tackle new challenges that ArenaNet plans to throw at them as they continue to expand on the dungeon over the coming months and years.’’…
————————————————————————————————————-
It looks likes the infusion slots is PvE focused, but it could be stats bonuses.

-Will the world economy collapse?
Ask Ben Bernanke.

The most important thing is that all this agony and ascendent stuff adds more vertical gear progression to the game, even if the benefits are small, the players always want to have the best in slot gear to be on par with other players in PvE and WvW content. And this is going against Anet philosophy who advocated ‘’no more vertical gear progression for the best omagad grind gear’’. But it can be understandable that this kind of progression is added in the game, because content is eaten so fast.

What I would have liked to see instead of this vertical gear progression, here is my feedback and this feedback not only concern the ascended gear:
- Ascended trinkets and gear adds new cosmetic value to your character instead of bonus stats. I thought that this game was a grind for cosmetics and I was fine with that. (Ascended gear adds cool shiny awesome auras? Changes the animations/colors of your skills? Allows more dye customization on the gear(I.E instead of 3 choice of dyes on a gear, maybe we can get 5? New weapon and armor skins! Plenty of possibilities)

-I think the agony system is fine if it makes your life a bit easier, but I don’t think it should be required to play through certain content of the game. If you want to make certain part of the dungeon more restrictive, it should be overcome through knowledge of the dungeon mechanics and skill, not gear. I know that dungeons are not required content, but all of them should be accessible when one feels like doing it. But, it can be tweaked.

-There is so much content in dynamic events, environment, beautiful landscape, so much effort put in voice acting, npc random and funny dialogue, that are not being appreciated because everyone is stuck at Orr farming Plinx. I think better high-end rewards should be spread out throughout the world with adjusted difficulty we have incentive to do them. But, you are not required to explore the world. Even though it is not really rewarding to explore and seek for these dynamic events, I do it, because I enjoy it.

-And all the stuff that I hope Anet will implement and may have been already discussed:
Building houses, house customization, furniture crafting, mystic forge recipes for furniture, more s/tPvP modes, better matchmaking, more skins, domestic pets, guild halls, guild vs guild features, more extensive guild customization(customizable banner with uploaded images?), more gem stuff goodies like new emotes, new costumes, etc etc etc…

TL;DR : Pardon me for my English and the long text, i hope it is comprehensible.. too lazy to make a resume

[AW]- The Holy Engineer

Posted by: Vimax.2634

Vimax.2634

Earlier on, ArenaNet promised:

We don’t want the player to ever have to grind and do something they don’t want to do to progress in the game.

So I have one very simple but important question for ArenaNet: will we all be able to obtain this new level of gear progression without any form of grinding… including grinding those dungeons?

And i add, without entering in those dungeon. I’m not interested in dungeon grinding, i’m an almost only wvw player, and a jewel + back full ascended will give a consistent advantage. The magic find in the image goes from 7% to 10%, so in total will be a 15% increase from jewel.
That’s to say, a berserker set will have 15% INCREASED CRITICAL DAMAGE. Without considering the back, that now is only of rare quality, so the gap will be greater.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I thought that I might have overreacted yesterday without some kind of more information, but that blog post is exactly what makes me scared and I can see now that I did not overreact.

Posted by: mjalkar.5284

mjalkar.5284

Well, you know what ? IF you let people use REAL MONEY to acquire an EASIER WAY to obtain full exotic / legendary than DON’T COMPLAIN if 3 months away from the release you’ll see a bunch of people already having it.

I know right .. but they said that they are frustrated because we were so fast obtaining those items.. in fact i was just saying that’s just plain stupid to say “Hey i’m frustrated because you were so fast” and then they give an EASY way to obtain this and they they all go SURPRISED becuase many of us already have that kind of equip …

If you give a man an easy way and a hard way to obtain a thing they will be tempted to follow the easy way so you can’t just be surprised if something like that happens .. it’s logical and predictable.

That’s what I personally was happy about — that I could get the very best gear stat wise in 3 weeks after game release and put it away and start working on another kitten. Legendaries, achievements, you name it. I didn’t have to care that if I would decide to do some WvW, some 12 yo kitten would kill me simply because he has a full tier better gear than me. Now I’ll have to either play with other ppl in dungeons (which I hate, and btw there isn’t even a good LFG tool to make it better), or live with a BY FAR inferior gear!! Wtf is this kitteneriously?!

Yeah i was happy too .. now i’ve got mixed feelings, i feel a little betrayed and i don’t want to witness to yet another downfall because of this kind of attitude. A.NET STOP BEFORE THINGS GO CRAZY !

Posted by: Plunder.8195

Plunder.8195

(…)
consequently increasing the rewards / chances of getting better loot.

Same could be said for dragon events and many others.
This is all ingame already and i’d think it would be a matter of tweaking it.

I might miss something, but what is the purpose of better loot if you are already full exotic?

I don’t think ‘better loot’ is in anyway a lasting concept for endgame.

To add to the discussion started by the OP a bit.

• More maps to explore.
  • Additional chapters to the personal story (especially related to the lvl 1-20 stories), but this of course requires much more work than adding a new gear tier, especially since there are at least 3*5 story lines to work on. Additionally people play thought this probably within a day or so, so it’s dubious to call it endgame content.
  • New skills that require some special actions/quests to unlock (gw1’ish) (powercreep ?!?!).
  • Some new dungeon mode (although fractals is one of them)
  • Raise the level cap in some non-game breaking way (but this will infuriate some players in whatever way you implement it).

*Some special infusion that adds cool effects to your weapon or armour (you have to grind a bit to get this one then :P )

Some thought provoking quote

Posted by: Deimos.9285

Deimos.9285

You won’t really get a proper poll result from this because in general these forums are a place to voice negativity towards something, sad but true. People that are happy with the game basically have no reason to read these forums.

I am Death incarnate.

Posted by: Raikkonen.3196

Raikkonen.3196

Would just like to sign the thread that I too do not want a loot treadmill. If you want to add the new type of gear just make it as powerful as exotics + the new resistance, (that wont matter in pvp).

DUAxWolff.2759

I understand that and was going to take the results with a grain of salt.

Personally i am surprised by the number of people excited about this content.

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

As someone who will have no problem at all acquiring this gear through doing dungeons, I am still massively disappointed with this. It was bad enough that you added exotics in the game, but now another tier?

What worries me the most though, is the fact that the Mystic Forge will play a huge part in this new armor tier.

Given the state of the Mystic Forge right now, it reeks of P2W a looooong way.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Posted by: thelorion.3680

thelorion.3680

Why not a pve-only progression? More agony without changing basic stats?

Why ANet have to connect pve- and wvw-itemprogression!?

Posted by: Freohr.7905

Freohr.7905

I have the strong suspicion that NCSoft and Nexon are forcing ArenaNet’s hand here so as to try and gain the demographic of MMO players that enjoy gear treadmills. Sadly by doing this they alienate their most supportive fanbase, those that came to the Guild Wars franchise because it was something different and didn’t follow what might be better termed as the WoW model.

Now we see the slippery slope start to form. ArenaNet has begun selling out on their own game principles. It’ll only get worse from here on out. I’ll level my Thief to 80 because I’m still having fun on it, but then I’m done. And I’ll never put another penny into an ArenaNet game, they’ve become just like all the others. This has a Bioware-type stench to it.

If having a bigger blob means victory then you will blob.
Sun Tzu said that, and I think he knows a little more about fighting than you do, pal.

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

This all depends on what you’re interpreting “deeper into the dungeon” as. For all you or I know it could be your 100th run through before Agony is too much to not have Infusion to defend again. This goes for any other dungeons they have planned using this Agony effect. Only Anet is in the know for how long you will be able to withstand Agony before you need infusion. So my point is not invalid based on my interpretation of the information they have posted, nor is his in a sense. My point was there is already player gear gating in place and of course the new dungeon will be no exception. However, to believe one entire run of the 9 wings of the new dungeon, which are randomized mind you, will be unbeatable without this new gear that NO ONE CURRENTLY HAS is pretty foolish.

“Well guys, we’re going to have to reset and hope we get the 4/5/6 wing set instead of the 1/2/3 wing set because 1/2/3 is too much Agony damage.” This scenario is what I will never see happening for at least one entire clear through Fractals of the Mists. After that, so long as item rewards aren’t better (quantity != better), the extra difficulties are artificial progression for kitten flexing. Nothing more. If Anet applies this to every dungeon they create later on, there is nothing wrong. It’s when they make your T14 WoW raid gear required for Normal Stratholme a problem.

The increasing difficulty comes in the form or more monsters, higher monster hp and bigger damage from monsters. This coupled with the agony condition is what they meant when they say it gets increasingly difficult. I suggest you re-read all the information that is present. There is more info than the blog post suggests.

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

Would just like to sign the thread that I too do not want a loot treadmill. If you want to add the new type of gear just make it as powerful as exotics + the new resistance, (that wont matter in pvp).

agreed, I’m ok if they want to put a new infusion slot or whatever for pve progression, but please, base stats MUST be the same as exotic.
you can’t force WvW players to grind pve to be competitive, it’s not what YOU A.Net promised.

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

My actual letdown is that so far the ascended gear is only back slot and rings. Will there be new skins for armor and weapons released with The Lost Shores weekend? And not just later on? That’s what I care about and a lot of people care about.

We just want some new, cool looking gear that gives us more visual options and we want rewards for doing hard stuff.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

I really wish they used something OTHER than magic find, so that people will realize that its actually a much bigger gap than they think it is. (rare rings and exotic rings have 20 or so stat point differences – I’d imagine amulets would have closer to 35 point differences, etc.).

Posted by: Talloc.6835

Talloc.6835

This all depends on what you’re interpreting “deeper into the dungeon” as. For all you or I know it could be your 100th run through before Agony is too much to not have Infusion to defend again. This goes for any other dungeons they have planned using this Agony effect. Only Anet is in the know for how long you will be able to withstand Agony before you need infusion. So my point is not invalid based on my interpretation of the information they have posted, nor is his in a sense. My point was there is already player gear gating in place and of course the new dungeon will be no exception. However, to believe one entire run of the 9 wings of the new dungeon, which are randomized mind you, will be unbeatable without this new gear that NO ONE CURRENTLY HAS is pretty foolish.

“Well guys, we’re going to have to reset and hope we get the 4/5/6 wing set instead of the 1/2/3 wing set because 1/2/3 is too much Agony damage.” This scenario is what I will never see happening for at least one entire clear through Fractals of the Mists. After that, so long as item rewards aren’t better (quantity != better), the extra difficulties are artificial progression for kitten flexing. Nothing more. If Anet applies this to every dungeon they create later on, there is nothing wrong. It’s when they make your T14 WoW raid gear required for Normal Stratholme a problem.

The increasing difficulty comes in the form or more monsters, higher monster hp and bigger damage from monsters. This coupled with the agony condition is what they meant when they say it gets increasingly difficult. I suggest you re-read all the information that is present. There is more info than the blog post suggests.

So make the monster hit for an extra 5 damage instead of making Agony do 5 damage.

Posted by: Wyrmrider.1692

Wyrmrider.1692

“Why is this a problem?”

1) For PvPers, it a problem because your best-in-slot gear may now be exclusively found in dungeons. (This isn’t 100% confirmed AFAIK, but it sure looks like it.)

2) For casual PvEers, it’s a problem because you’ll be behind the gear curve, and more hardcore players will start to exclude you because of it.

3) For hardcore PvEers, it’s a problem because you’ll be pressured to do the latest dungeon (the one with the best loot) to the exclusion of all else.

All of these are assumptions.
1) sPvP won’t be affected.
WvWvW has always been considered secondary in balancing compared to the rest of the game. They’ve always said this, this is nothing new. That being said it wouldn’t be difficult to add WvWvW methods of attaining ascended strenght gear either.

2) Tricky wording here since curve can imply several things, such as a treadmill. Of which there is currently none implied. People are already excluding players from dungeon pugs if their not in exotics. So I fail to see how the present system has stopped that at all.

3) Sorry but how is this an argument supporting your position?
Hardcore pvers will feel pressured into pveing… Oh no… The tragedy! Wait… but that’s what they like doing… They’re hardcore pvers remember?

Thanks for asking. I will clarify.

1) Correct, sPvP will not be affected. I should have specified WvW.

This is not a “balance” issue. It is a “just let people play the parts of the game they enjoy” issue. I agree that it would be simple to allow access to this gear through WvW, and I hope they do. I’m simply responding to what they’ve said at this time.

2) A treadmill is absolutely implied here. I think the last section of the blog post, “The Future of Items Progression,” is quite straightforward about this.

The current (pre-update) system is not a treadmill because it has an endpoint, an upper limit. A casual player might not have full exotics now, but he will eventually. And from that point on, he’s qualified (at least gear-wise) for any dungeon in the game. He can even take a break from the game and still be in perfect shape when he comes back.

In a gear treadmill/vertical progression system, the bar is always moving. Depending on how quickly it moves, there will be some number of players who don’t keep up with it. Those players will NEVER have the best possible gear. And if they take a break from the game, they’ll be even farther behind when they get back.

3) I said hardcore PvEers are pressured to do the latest dungeon (the one with the best gear), to the exclusion of all else — including the earlier dungeons, which they may like better. I’m talking about a scenario where your group may love Dungeon X and hate Dungeon X+1, but X+1 is where the best gear is, so you’d better do it if you want to stay competitive.

These are not theories. They all come from personal experience. I’ve seen guilds go inactive and even disband because people were sick of the current raid tier and had nothing to gain from the previous one. And I vividly remember off-tanking the first wing of Icecrown on my alt DK, with 4.8K gearscore. It was fantastic. The next week I couldn’t find a group; the bar was set at 5K gearscore. A few weeks later it was 5.3K, 5.4K, 5.5K… The content had actually been NERFED during this time! But people had no way of judging competence, only “commitment” as demonstrated by gear, and my alt didn’t have any.

Now, please understand: I have nothing against gear-treadmill games. I get the appeal. I’m just trying to help explain the anti-treadmill position to some nice people who have politely and non-trollishly asked WTF everyone is upset about.

What I am against is the wave of people who demand every MMO in existence conform to their pre-determined spec. Cut it out, will ya? Quit mono-gaming and get some variety in there.

Posted by: Mimaktorn.4769

Mimaktorn.4769

this contradict their manifesto they released awhile back…

Posted by: Fallen Angel.5092

Fallen Angel.5092

As unfortunate as it is, this will happen everywhere an out is made for someone. I personally made 2 gold and a handful of silver from leftover gems after opening 3 other character slots. In any game where you can buy in game currency for money, legally or illegally, it will happen. This is just a fact. All you can do is not participate in it yourself, or ignore it. Nothing that can be done about it aside from the company not allowing gem-gold trades or straight gold buying in teh case of Diablo 3.

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

While I do think a fair majority are not entirely pleased, like ANet employees have said, polling is slanted towards people who want to take a poll. So, you’ll get odd results that ANet has stated they will freely ignore over “their own scientific methods.” As for what this science entails, I’m sure everyone not playing the game or giving them any money will be a fine Control.

Posted by: JJGlyph.9746

JJGlyph.9746

No to gear progression. Hate it.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Its not a vocalminority…
They are changing maybe the most important rule that made MOST people buy the game over the competitors……

Its not the lack of monthly fee (tons of F2p out there…) its the no trend mill and the blogpost clearly states there will be a trendmill (we will add more like infused armors etc etc etc…..).

This is one of the worse business ethinc i ever saw in a mmorpg….by the game famous for his good busines ethic nonetheless.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Yougottawanna.7420

Yougottawanna.7420

I do not like this new development at all. Let me try to explain why.

I like WvW, and the WvW gear I want is Soldier’s (power/vitality/toughness). The only way to get some soldier’s exotic gear is with badges. So far I’ve bought a greatsword (396), 2 swords (264 each), and 2 accessories (330 each). Total cost 1604 badges. I have 6,284 kills in WvW (some of my badges came from jumping puzzles).

I still need 2 rings (396 each) and an amulet (528), total cost 1320 badges, I have around 1150 to go. So I’m really only like 2/3rds of the way there. And I WvW alot! I wouldn’t consider myself a casual player. I STILL don’t have full exotics. Now I see that there’s a whole new tier of gear. I’m not done getting exotics yet, and there’s a whole new tier coming in three days. (Not only that, but I bought my armor with karma and got the legs with Catacombs tokens. Getting the armor I want doing the thing I most like – WvW – would have taken even longer)

And what happens when I do get my ascended gear? By that time the hardcore players will have had it for a while, and be grumbling for more, and if Anet uses the same reasoning then they’re using now, it’ll be time to introduce a new tier of gear just as I get about 2/3rds of my ascended set.

What’s more, this is not a horizontal endgame progression, which is what we were sold. This is something we were explicitly told was NOT going to be in the game, and furthermore its absence was advertised as a feature! What happened to the Anet that made the manifesto video?

(edited by Yougottawanna.7420)

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

Appalling.

Can’t believe they are actually trying to pull this kitten.

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

I understand that and was going to take the results with a grain of salt.

Personally i am surprised by the number of people excited about this content.

Its about 5% more than i figured. Figured that group normally is in the 10-15% area. Currently there around 15-20%

Posted by: mjalkar.5284

mjalkar.5284

No.

Because in GW1 and in 7 years of its life you NEVER needed to add another “tier” (visual apart) and i don’t think it’s needed here too.

Posted by: garraeth.3267

garraeth.3267

This blog post, dating back to june, 19th 2012, titled “Is it fun?” was the one that made me dream about a long term fun with no grind or “I play more time than you” gear, I actually bought the game after reading it.

http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success

Now, 5 months later, reality brings me back on planet earth and the answer is “No, it is not fun”.

Obviously, I’ll wait and see what these armours are and how they impact the game (especially WWW), but I’m too experienced to not see what is going to happen here (Daoc=> TOA expansion, War => Tomb King, etc., etc.).

This was one of the biggest sellers of this game for me too. I’m so sick of every MMO being about “who has the most time wins” rather than having fun or “who has the most skill wins”.

I was also totally excited about their promise of downlevling and that has completely flopped. Fix that first ANet. I want to go to ALL the zones and play with my friends without 1-shotting everything and getting crap loot. I’m guessing you’re not working on that since it’s actually GOOD that everyone is clumped in two zones – if everyone was spread evenly throughout, all the zones would be too sparsely populated.

Fix the bugged DEs, crappy downlevling, lost mouse cursor issues, “f” for everything problem, et-al. Things we’ve been at you about for months (since beta) and that are extremely easy to fix (yes, I’m a programmer) — allowing users to bind “loot”, “rez”, or “interact with npc” to something other than “f” is trivial.

All I see with this change is a way to suck money and time from me. So does this mean eventually I’ll have to have multiple sets of gear? More bag space? Bank space? Mats for the Mystic Forge? What?

And all those who WANT gear treadmills have already left and are not going to come back. Never happens.

This is a slippery slope that you originally said you’d never start down. This is step #1.

DUAxWolff.2759

Yeah personally i am not happy with this new tier but i will continue to give it a chance and hope for the best.

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

Update, given Linsey Murdock’s unveiling:
I need more details, especially on how Ascended items will affect crafting. I’m slowly becoming OK with being able to obtain items of a slightly higher stat grade, but I want to be able to use crafting to do so. Will I be able to craft my own ascended armor, accessories, and weapons? Why did you say that ascended rings will drop in the new dungeon; won’t jewelcrafters also be able to make them? How will not having a normal upgrade slot affect jewelcrafting? Does this mean exquisite jewels are now useless?

As hard as the dungeons and high-level areas are, I actually find the idea of a small stat bonus appealing, as long we don’t keep getting ridiculous new tiers of items hereafter (ala the gear treadmill). From a lore standpoint, ascended/infused armor being the best makes sense and is kind of cool (again, as long as they remain the best, and are not replaced by a new tier of uber-items in a couple months). However, crafting better remain viable, or I’ll be yet another upset customer. I don’t want to have to play in the new dungeon to get ascended items, nor do I want to have to buy them directly off the trading post. I want to craft ascended items, and I await further information regarding this topic.

Note that I’ve seen the blogpost stating that there will be 200 additional recipes added, presumably for ascended items.

You sound like me haha. If they do add ascended items to crafting professions then I won’t have any big problems with ascended gear. Hope that is the case.

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Heck no.

Manifesto contradicted.

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

Plunder:

I think the idea behind better loot while having full exotics is not just loot you can use for yourself, but loot of some greater worth to the whole of the game. Too much of what you attain from dragons and bosses right now is vendor trash. If they create loot that has some sort of value in a Tradeable sense, then that makes all the great content in the world more rewarding.

It’s not like the game lacks cool stuff to do. It’s just that the loot rewards are uninteresting and that’s making too much of the content left idle. Of course, the zone bossses and events are still cool, but doing something that feels epic and being rewarded with the same junk you get from killing a Moa bird is a real negative feeling to the player.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

Posted by: nino.4160

nino.4160

I don’t like this … Voted

Posted by: Redtah.3016

Redtah.3016

This outrage is hilariously stupid.

I guarantee an ANet dev will post in the next few days and explain that NO, they said nothing about adding new equipment tiers every 6 months, and as the blog explained, they saw a need to bridge the gap between Exotic and Legendary by adding ONE new tier.

You people are going to give yourself aneurisms over nothing. Stop freaking out. Constructive feedback is great, but ya’ll are taking it too far.

Except there didn’t used to be a tier difference from exotic to legendary… sorry to completely ruin your post with some simple point…. oh wait no I’m not.
there was no gap between exotic and legendary why did they add one?

Edited post to remove a violation of the code of conduct.

No one ever knows what your talking about, so I guess you’re already there.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Toggles.1783

Toggles.1783

Actually what they are doing is demoting Exotics to fancy Rares.

Actually, they are not doing anything of the sort.

Level 80: Elementalist Engineer Guardian Mesmer Ranger Thief Warrior

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

My vote is:

If they add ascended items into crafting professions then I will have no real issue with it but if they do not I will be irritated but not enough to pack up and leave the game.

Posted by: brickforlife.1364

brickforlife.1364

Don’t be too afraid of the changes. ANet may listen to the community and they won’t add power creep. Too early to decide anyway.

Join
[BEAR] www.gw2bear.com
[DATE] www.tyriadating.com

Posted by: Nerth.3940

Nerth.3940

Voted for “I will leave GW2…” since it’s very simple for me. If I wanted gear with better stats every couple of months I would be playing WoW, Rift, SW:TOR or any other gear based MMO.

Sure, it’s a a minor upgrade now but what will happen one year down the road? Think about it. It looks like another company wants to get WoW numbers and will burn every bridge with their loyal players since GW1.

Have you guys learned nothing from the recent fiasco called SW:TOR from BioWare?

Posted by: Wyrmrider.1692

Wyrmrider.1692

Compared to its Exotic counterpart, new Ascended-rarity “Explorer” ring has:
+5 Power
+5 Precision
+3% Magic Find

+???? (Unused Defensive Infusion Slot)

Magic Find is valuable. Some gear slots are more efficient for MF than others, but on an exotic ring 3% MF is worth ***67*** of another stat. (Compare: Opal Orichalcum Ring vs. Emerald Orichalcum Ring.)

Then there’s the Defensive Infusion Slot. It’s possible that this slot will strictly be for PVE attunement mechanics like Agony Resistance. But I don’t think so, because the blog post says: “In November, we’ll introduce Offensive, Defensive, and Omni Infusions of Fine rarity…” So they’ll have different itemizations, and probably different tiers of their own, which seems to suggest more stat boosts.

I’m not that interested in debating how many stat points is too many. (The real problem is that in the designer’s own words, “This is just the beginning.”) But for those who are, the currently proposed number isn’t 2 or 3 or 5 stat points per item, it’s closer to 100.

This should keep being quoted over and over.

Again… please read this. And by all means, feel free to argue if you think it’s wrong.

Posted by: hellsmachine.4085

hellsmachine.4085

If I wanted an endless gear grind I would have bought Borderlands 2, in fact, I’m gonna go buy that game now, at least it doesn’t pretend to be something it’s not.

Posted by: Dungin.2983

Dungin.2983

Yes, players wanted something to do at endgame., but this wasn’t it. Please just add content; many more DE’s, dungeons, landmasses, jumping puzzles etc. etc. to the game. Many of us have what we concluded was our final equipment and could now enjoy what was to come this is not what we wanted to come. BTW LotRO had a similar “radience” gear they scrapped because it was not only confusing but tended to make the elitist segregate the casuals. Please don’t do this to the game I prefer my MMO experience to be a friendly one.

So a jumping puzzle with 2 greens is what you consider end game? DE’s have a very limited appeal and end up just being min-maxed and there are very few chains even being run on most servers. (pre-event chains, plixx, etc) They never said that those other things would not be included. They in fact in no way indicated with the exception of this dungeon would you need this new gear.

People really want their ‘final’ gear.?!..So we can log in and /dance at the statue. I’m so lost. That’s all anyone was doing in GW1 when I logged in. That game is still there, people can go play it (and its still free!) This game doesn’t need to be that game. And design philosophies change based on what the user base is doing. And the user base is not running the DE chains in every zone. How many posts do we see saying ZONES ARE DEAD. They are.

Any given night you have some running dungeons, some in WvWvW, and a lot of folks at dragon chains or Plixx. That is it…Underwater? dead. Straights of Devastation, forget it.

I just don’t get what the people want that are arguing against this. They want more jumping puzzles that give cruddy rewards (for the record I love jumping puzzles, but the rewards are all out of wack.) More dungeons with different token grinds for yet another set of armor that does the exact same thing? I’m just not sure how that is fun.

I just feel like the reality of what is going on in the game and this mythical manifesto we are holding the game too never existed. It did for the 2 weeks people were leveling to 80 and then the zones emptied out. Plainly.

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

Expand vanity hunt or flesh out the PvP elements of this game.

It was marketed as a PvP game.

Sticking a gear treadmill into it = false advertising.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

Well, everyone what’s leavin’ the game over this feel free ta send me yer money an’ nicest gear; I’ll put it ta very good use.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: papryk.6273

papryk.6273

I am actually happy with the new gear and grind.