Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

Absolute NAY for Ascended items.

For everyone saying “but it’s limited to one dungeon only”, please use your heads: the regular stats are already more superios on Ascended vs Exotic than currectly Exotic are vs Rare, so while upgrades might be confined to (currently) one dungeon, the new tier affects the game globally.

I’ve said it in other threads and I will repeat it here: if I wanted to play other MMOs, I wouldn’t be here. I play(ed) GW2 because it as not supposed to be like the other games.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: johnnymanhands.7310

johnnymanhands.7310

No

“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun rather than just having fun.” Where did this Arenanet go?

Posted by: Valhallen.1693

Valhallen.1693

“As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game. Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content.”

Unless Anet completely abandons the idea of adding a new tier of gear to the game at this time, and acknowledges that they made a mistake, this patch will be remembered as the first nail in the coffin for Guild Wars 2. This game was advertised as having no gear treadmill, and the above quote describes exactly that. I quit WoW BECAUSE of the gear treadmill, and specifically chose GW2 since it wouldn’t have one. Now, not even 3 months into the game and a gear treadmill is being added.

You can keep my money, but you definitely won’t be getting any more of it.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

No.
To a higher tier of gear, and Infusion as a deadly condition that has nothing to do with player skill, only with the gear they have on them.

Yes.
To new gear skins.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Nachyochez.9758

Nachyochez.9758

There is no other way to make a MMO other than using the treadmill. Theres no progression without a treadmill… How do you guys not see that, how can sitting in the same gear since you turned level 80, and downing bosses that don’t vary in toughness be fun!?

Not really. Over 7 years, Guild Wars 1 had zero power creep.

And thats why the game was only popular for a few months, they are trying to stop that from happening to this game.

GW1 was insanely popular for several YEARS. Heck, people STILL log in to play it to this day which means the servers are still running… so there’s money coming from somewhere.

Skif F Galco (War) | Bas Flaith (Thf) | Rawr Doomshot (Rng) | Cheshire Glamourclaw (Mes)

Posted by: Haette.2701

Haette.2701

And agony is built into the dungeon itself, meaning to get good at the dungeon, you need to run that dungeon. Unlike other games where you’re grinding gear for the next tier of content.

You know what’s a better way to build progression into a dungeon?

Difficulty.

Actual complex and difficult bosses and trash.

You run it again and again and get a little further each time, but not because of some arbitrary monster dot that you combat with random gear drops, that’s not skill at all. No, you get further because YOU are getting better. That’s some satisfying kitten right there.

Agony is fake difficulty. Beating it doesn’t mean you got better, it means your numbers are bigger.

Posted by: Khemizt.5104

Khemizt.5104

There is no other way to make a MMO other than using the treadmill. Theres no progression without a treadmill… How do you guys not see that, how can sitting in the same gear since you turned level 80, and downing bosses that don’t vary in toughness be fun!?

And thats why the game was only popular for a few months, they are trying to stop that from happening to this game.

Your posts make my head hurt.

I know it’s been a hard concept to grasp for this community so let me explain, without the use of treadmills your game will continue to die at it’s current pace, Anets marketing team see’s this change and is doing something to fix it and a team of people, much smarter than you, decided this was the best way of making the game more appealing to other players, and to keep it’s current player base relatively stable.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Yes to new content.

No to gear threadmill. Progression should be horizontal, not vertical.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

First off, many components to GW2 already make this difficult. For one, getting to max level takes longer. Another, getting max armor obviously takes much, much longer. In addition to this, the combat system is a shadow of GW1’s system. Much of fleshing out your character was buying every single skill in the game, which many never even accomplished, in addition to capturing the very useful and highly sought after elite skills. There are barely any skills, most are either worthless or cannot be resorted, and elite skills are generally worthless and not desired anyway. So already, most of the ways GW1 succeeded where GW2, after three months, has already laughably failed, cannot be put into place without major changes to the game. Which is why I think you’re seeing ANet abandon ship and just latch onto the WoW players. They feel like they have no choice.

Now, GW1 made mistakes, but that’s why you improve those systems instead of removing them. This is GW2’s first mortal sin, and it was one committed by the staff years ago.

GW2 needs a way to change the behavior of skills, and that way needs to be funded with gold, and require a large time investment, but have a payoff by drastically changing the way skills behave. GW1 did this with new skills. GW2 attempted this with traits and completely, utterly and foolishly failed as hard as any game I have seen. The entire build system is a big joke, and one of many reasons why their desire to be an e-sport will never, ever happen.

Endgame is all about character progression. When you beat any game, you only go back through it on new game +s to fully flesh out your character and see new content that was locked the first time through. GW2 similarly needs daily area completion rewards per zone, a hard mode of some kind (maybe lowering your stats instead of reinstancing?), and most importantly, a “skill treadmill.” That is the biggest thing lacking in GW2, opposed to GW1. GW1 survived for almost a decade off giving players the ability to try out thousands of new builds that were always changing and evolving with the times. GW2 offers a kick in the balls.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

The more I ponder about it, the more I think this ascended equipment should only be available as a separate gear set that you may only use in the new dungeon, a bit like how you have a separate sPvP set which cannot be used outside sPvP. That way, Arenanet could put all the power-creep they want for people that like that and it would remain segregated into the bounds of that dungeon. It wouldn’t be usable in WvW, public events or regular dungeons. For people that like the look of the new gear, there is always transmutes.

Posted by: yurtshone.7325

yurtshone.7325

I am so sad about this whole debacle!
It will not be long before we see…
“LF2M must be ascended”
Thing is I have a necro that is not yet to level cap and the armour I have seen I like, is tier two Sylvari. So when I get to go to this dungeon and get the latest “cool” gear people will not belive I am in Ascended gear because I will have xmuted my tier two onto whatever I have at the time.
So in effect Anet are now going to make other models obsolete because I will want to show I have the best gear. This reminds me of another game. Hmmmm /rubs chin

Anet sigh

I guess it is time for a new game or a break from the genre all together. Lost all desire to log in.

Posted by: Tiborb.1453

Tiborb.1453

After reading the blog, i’ve to say (i’m sorry to be so rude) that this really sucks.
I feel betrayed a lot. This is not anymore the game you promised to us.
This is something different and is the opposite you have stated in the past.
I don’t care about gear progression, it’s not FUN.
This should be the game were skills should make the difference, not the stats.
The infusion in PvE is tolerable, but NOT the new rank of gear, not AT ALL.
Scrap it from the patch. NOW.
Is obscene. You introduced this thing becouse you were scared about loss of playerbase that care about progression?
With this move you will lose even more players.
Change your mind, you are still in time.

[LOCK] The Closed Society – Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Talloc.6835

Talloc.6835

Mike O’Brien posted:
Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.

Posted by: goldenhornet.1205

goldenhornet.1205

Yes to new content.
Yes to new cosmetic gear.
No to new gear tier.
No to gated content through required infusions.

Posted by: DUAxWolff.2759

DUAxWolff.2759

211 votes and counting. Make sure to post too! ^^

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Does it say it’s a grind? It sounds just as grindy as to get an Exotic armor and at the moment there are just rings and backpacks to get.
I am looking forward to get a ring and maby aim for a backpack.

I have been sad becouse I have all exotic eq and thought, so what now?
Now there is something a little better and if I can’t get it I won’t cry floods but as I know it if I am doing the dungeon so I need it, then I will get it.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: hellsmachine.4085

hellsmachine.4085

I know it’s been a hard concept to grasp for this community so let me explain, without the use of treadmills your game will continue to die at it’s current pace, Anets marketing team see’s this change and is doing something to fix it and a team of people, much smarter than you, decided this was the best way of making the game more appealing to other players, and to keep it’s current player base relatively stable.

Please stop posting, you’re just making yourself look worse with every post.

Posted by: Tiborb.1453

Tiborb.1453

No, I hate the new ascended items. I hate new Legendary with more stats too.

[LOCK] The Closed Society – Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

So now that Ascended gear outstats exotics, what is the appeal of acquiring exotic gear(besides unique skins)? I was planning to level each armor crafting profession to max in order to get all of my toons decked out, but the introduction of ascended gear made that goal irrelevant. Why save up for Exotics if you can buy Legendary precursors? I’m sure there will be ways to craft ascended armor in the future, requiring a new tier of collectible materials only found in expansion zones. Until then, Rare gear, which drops frequently enough during normal play, will be what my new character are wearing.

Posted by: Humposaurus.5764

Humposaurus.5764

This is gonna be awesome =) and its just a +2 stat difference between exotic and legendary, so who the kitten cares?

Talloc.6835

Do you have numbers to back up the supposed death of the game? Or are you just wildly speculating?

Posted by: Hrafn.7638

Hrafn.7638

Its a good idea, so stop crying please. Instead of farming Orr for hours, seeing two people online out of 200 in my guild and reading complaints (same people who are now complaing, e.g. crying) about GW2 having no endgame at all, Anet is finally doing something about it.
And no in case you havent noticed: It isnt GW 1 and also nobody cares about you quitting.

Posted by: Amulrei.4973

Amulrei.4973

Something I am just going to leave here from Mike O’Brien himself.

Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.

I would love to see what Mr O’Brien has to say for himself now.

Posted by: Khemizt.5104

Khemizt.5104

GW1 was insanely popular for several YEARS. Heck, people STILL log in to play it to this day which means the servers are still running… so there’s money coming from somewhere.

The term insanely popular would not describe the game in the NA market, it had a huge following and dwindled away a few months after launch. You were left with koreans and the few die hards.

Posted by: Xpiher.5209

Xpiher.5209

Note: The below is only applicable if the gear is good outside of the fractal instance. If, as someone mentioned, you can’t also put in sigils then the gear is ok because its limited to that particular dungeon. It linear progression for a specif dungeon, not the entire game.

If I wanted to buy a gear grind tread mill game I wouldn’t of bought GW2. Now, if ANET plans on keeping this POS system that is reason why MMOs are stale (GW2 was actually a breath of fresh air) I won’t bother playing the game, picking it back up when new expansion come out, or spending another dime in the gem store (and I’ve already spent $200+). You will lose us ANET, and we would have been the people to keep your profitable for years just like GW1. Now you have catered to the fickle MMO crowd who will eat up your content and quit when the next shiny kitten is released. Hope you are happy.

Talloc.6835

Its a good idea, so stop crying please. Instead of farming Orr for hours, seeing two people online out of 200 in my guild and reading complaints (same people who are now complaing, e.g. crying) about GW2 having no endgame at all, Anet is finally doing something about it.
And no in case you havent noticed: It isnt GW 1 and also nobody cares about you quitting.

Or they could create exciting and engaging content. That thing they managed to do pretty well during the 1-80 process.

Posted by: Redtah.3016

Redtah.3016

Dude. I never said anything about a stat gap. I should have been more clear. It’s a PROGRESSION gap, as in once you get full exotic you’ve got nothing left to do besides the enormous wall to legendary. That’s what they said in the blog post. And I agree, with the caveat that they don’t plan on adding any more tiers.

Like I’ve posted over and over. I understand the concern. But we don’t know anything more than basic details from a single blog post. I’m hoping the infusions are a horizontal progression and not vertical.

http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success

They already said they didn’t want gear treadmills and they are adding them. Whats to say they won’t add another tier of gear? There’s nothing its been not even 3 months and they went back on their word, why would I trust them to keep it this time?

Also if your already bored because there’s no gear progression you think you won’t be bored after you get 3 items….? Then 4 months from now you’ll get another 3 and quit for 4 months. What the hell is the point?

No one ever knows what your talking about, so I guess you’re already there.

Posted by: hplee.2839

hplee.2839

very effective counter argument

Orisis Stonehart
Blackgate Militia

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Coming from the dude who has been parading around the forums insinuating that Anets next step is to become a WoW clone? Grow up.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: xeph.8410

xeph.8410

What this does is introduce a set period of time that players who wish to do so now need to spend to collect Agony resistance gear before they are able to complete the new dungeon to their satisfaction.

Agony / contrived difficulty / grind / gear-based progression – call it what you will.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Which do not in fact exist at this point. You likely don’t even have a legendary anyways.

I don’t get how people can hate something when they don’t even know how it’s going to work.

Talloc.6835

The term insanely popular would not describe the game in the NA market, it had a huge following and dwindled away a few months after launch. You were left with koreans and the few die hards.

Going to need a source on this one as well.

Posted by: viewtiful.2169

viewtiful.2169

just pushed my jeweler to 400 yesterday

Their should be no more progression on crafting either. AN just needs to give us reasons to still craft 1-400 items.

they managed to make my sad about leveling my jeweler to the max….thats all i say about the new patch

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

It’s just stunning how fast a company can sell the soul of their product.

Posted by: Arq.8026

Arq.8026

So…what will happen?

• Makes all of our current dungeons obsolete.
  • Encourages gear requirement to even get in a dungeon group.
  • Leaves behind those who stick stick with Exoitc armor. (Also left out of experiencing new content/end game)
  • Forces players to dungeon grind for gear. (Because we can’t craft Ascended like we can craft Exotics)

This is an issue, this isn’t the GW many of us loved. To those of you who have apparently wanted this new change, I have to wonder if you even took your time to enjoy the beautiful world that ArenaNet has given us; not everything has to be a grind or be rushed.

It’s only been roughly three months since the games release! Have respect for this game and the way it works, the way it was meant to work.

There, this is the exact reason why we are disagreeing with this update. Its not that they are adding an other tier, its not that there is a small difference. 1 add teir wont make that much difference to begin with but we are adults that can extrapolate things, if we will be %5 stronger when we start 3 months ago, then how much more stronger will we become?.

With this update and the updates yet to come, they are not adding more content to us, they ae basicly robbing us the content thats is available. Check wow and see what happens with the T1-12 raids/dungeons , noone plays they because they are not playable / enjoyable when you can oneshot every mob in them.

Atm even with exotics you can still find challenge in lvl 1-15 zones, but if the stats increase , if you try to implement tier progression in to a game where its not designed for it in the first place, all you again will be losing ton of content thats been released before and intelligent player base that loves this game’s unique take on Mmorpgs.

I did not sign for a tier progression mmo, nor will i play an mmo for the pixel carrot.

I know its harder to desing content w/o a tier progression, and i know it seems tier progression might seem a solution, but its not.

When you design something you have to take in to account your targeted audience, and if you cant see that your playerbase does not want this kind of design already, all i can say is thanks for this beauitul world, but i wont be part of it any longer…

Posted by: Agrik.7465

Agrik.7465

Lack of the abominable “gear progression” or “itemization” feature of other MMO’s was a major factor in my excitement about gw2. I have been a total supporter of this game up until now, despite a few things I’ve not liked (gem shop, anyone?). This one though, is a killer for me. For the first time, in a long time, I’ll be looking to see what other games are doing, and holding back on spending more of my budget here, unless gw2/anet listens and stops this gear progression reversal before it gets going.

Seriously disappointed and surprised, feel like a fool for believing. I was so pleased that legendaries were no better than exotics stat-wise, something to strive for because it was different and special but not “more powerful.” Ah well this turn in the game is just depressing to a long-term previously very enthusiastic gw2 supporter.

My message to Anet: Abort this step towards gear progression, now. No better stats than exotics, I want to replace my gear because you’ve made something that looks better, not because I’m kittened because something with better stats came out. If I had wanted that, I’d have been elsewhere than gw2…

(edited by Agrik.7465)

Talloc.6835

Which do not in fact exist at this point. You likely don’t even have a legendary anyways.

I don’t get how people can hate something when they don’t even know how it’s going to work.

Ah yes, because something suddenly being better than everything else is good because….?

Posted by: roguenub.1409

roguenub.1409

People complain that theres no endgame, now people complain that theres more to accomplish? You complain about something that you haven’t even witnessed for yourself yet. Exotics aren’t even hard to get, and not considered a grind if you’re not in a hurry. This game needs something more to strive for, and they’re providing it.

Posted by: Hrafn.7638

Hrafn.7638

Whats the difference between that and farming 300+ hours for legendary? And dont tell me you dont have to do it. Thats why the only area where all the people (the rest of them anyways) are is the Orr-Karma-Farm-Train.

Posted by: Nott.2549

Nott.2549

I can’t wait! -

Posted by: Wensbane.5798

Wensbane.5798

Apparently, everyone here has forgotten about LotRO. The former “ultimate casual-friendly” MMO — with one of the best communities around — which got DESTROYED, by this little addition, called “Dread.”

In effect, that’s what this is. Our very own version of “Dread.”

What it will do, just like it did in LotRO, is polarize the community.
Casual guilds will splinter, people will be locked out of — apparently fun and challenging — content (and leave), crafting will cease to be worthwhile, elitism will grow where collaboration used to be and the game will slowly, but surely, wither away.
A shadow of its former self. A Shadow of Angmar.

Power creep is bad and it has no place here. This single change will effectively destroy the excitement of WvWvW.

The play field will now be stacked for those who actually enjoy — and have time for — “the grind.”
Because, as I’ve learned from playing Online ARPGs: every stat point — no matter how insignificant it may seem — matters! It’s the difference between running away with 1 HP or dying to that annoying DoT. If it exists, you HAVE to have it or you’ll never truly enjoy yourself.

I, for one, am still waiting for them to introduce a proper LFG system — could be similar to WoW’s, could be better, but I’ll take whatever at this point — before even beginning to run dungeons!

If I have to go through hours upon hours of “LFM shouting” in Lion’s Arch just to get there… I’m out. Seriously, I love the game, but I just can’t take it anymore. I’m sorry.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

He would probably say to you to stop over reacting and wait to see how it actually works before getting your panties in a twist. Only probably a little more nicely worded.

Posted by: yurtshone.7325

yurtshone.7325

I voted.
My vote was for “I will leave Guildwars2 if they continue releasing Ascended items” Although I would have prefered “I am leaving GW2 because of power creep”

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Does it say it’s a grind? It sounds just as grindy as to get an Exotic armor and at the moment there are just rings and backpacks to get.
I am looking forward to get a ring and maby aim for a backpack.

I have been sad becouse I have all exotic eq and thought, so what now?
Now there is something a little better and if I can’t get it I won’t cry floods but as I know it if I am doing the dungeon so I need it, then I will get it.

It’s not just about the grind, it’s about the gear threadmill and the course they are heading.

Guild Wars has always been about horizontal progression. Everyone plays on the same level. A game not based on who has the highest stats on his armor, but who is the best player.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

So, why again should I be playing an MMO with

- mostly broken dungeons (SE path 1 & 2 anyone?)
- lots of broken skills and classes (ele 3rd healing not working according to tooltip, necro)
- unaccessible dungeons
- soon: dedicated end game content consistin of exactly 1 dungeon
- no dungeonfinder for that 1 dungeon
- severe problem with the underlying game engine (invisible armies…)

I can have tiered content without all of that (and pandas) elsewhere. I spent more than EUR15 per month so far on GW2, so that’s a non-argument.

Posted by: Toggles.1783

Toggles.1783

I’m excited about new content.

I am NOT excited about a higher tier grade and agony(LotRO radiance).

Level 80: Elementalist Engineer Guardian Mesmer Ranger Thief Warrior

Posted by: nugzta.8973

nugzta.8973

- Make the game actually challenging. They need to make the game less zerging (in PvE and WvW), emphasize skilful play.

- Add contents with high re-playability. More WvW maps perhaps with different objectives and dungeons with objectives other than kill stuff. Teamwork and coordination should be rewarded.

- Promote social interaction, this is MMO after all. We should have in-game guild recruitment, guild hall, alliance, etc. Even if the game is lacking content, given I have good companions, it makes up for it.

Posted by: Nar.8327

Nar.8327

I don’t see how anyone can hate them when we don’t even know exactly how it’s going to work.

Drama queens.

P.S. No where did Anet ever say exotics would be the final tier of armor. People just assumed that. The only clarification they need to address if they will be making more tiers of higher powered armor in the future.

https://d2vn94glaxzkz3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ascended-EN.png

This image shows us everything we need to know to be concerned.

So? All that shows is a ring that is slightly better than an exotic. Perhaps you should go back and reread what I said.

Here are the facts: that ring is statistically superior to ANY ring in the game at the current time with that specific stat combination. It doesn’t matter by how much, what matters is that any ring you might have obtained in the last three months will not be as powerful as the rings from this new update.

What it means is that, anyone who walked away from the game before this update, for any reason, will return after the update to find that their gear is no longer the best. What concerns us as players is not this individual item, but the precedent it sets, where each update’s items are slightly more powerful. In the industry, this is called “power creep.” If you don’t keep playing, you’ll be left behind.

Many of us have played many MMOs, and we feel that we were lead here under the pretense that we would be given a game where we would not have to put up with this again. And for three months, we thought we were right – until tonight – hence why so many people are up in arms.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Don’t you think you’re being too dramatic, guys? I mean, I don’t like the vertical gear progression, but even me, a very casual player, has 3 80’s on his account with full exotics… Ascended items aren’t more than other armors that instead of using runes and jewels, uses infusion. Where’s the problem, QQ’s? (GW1)

It’s siiimple, eeeeeasy, and you don’t need to griiiiind…

Emerald Orichalcum Ring of the Knight -92 Toughness / 63 Precision / 63 Power
Opal Orichalcum Ring of the Explorer -7% MF / 63 power / 63 Precision
Yakkington’s Ring -10% MF / 68 power / 68 precision
Means 1% MF is about 13.1 Toughness (92/7 = 13.1428)
Nicolas Sandford’s Theoretical Ring of the Knight – 131.4 Toughness / 68 Power / 68 Precision

I decided to look up the rare variety as well:

Opal Mithril Ring of the Explorer (Rare)
Power: +55
Precision: +55
Magic Find: 6%

Opal Orichalcum Ring of the Explorer (Exotic)
Power: +63
Precision: +63
Magic Find: 7%

Yakkington’s Ring (Ascended)
Power: +68
Precision: +68
Magic Find: 10%

The MF is the major upgrade on this set. The rest is secondary. As you can see, it climbs faster than the secondary ones, compared from rare to exotic.

You can draw your own conclusion from that…

Posted by: Ovan Dawnwalker.3284

Ovan Dawnwalker.3284

N-O, NO!
Ascended thing sucks.