Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Emapudapus.1307

Emapudapus.1307

Not for new gear/stat progression. NO!
5%-10% of ex wow players wanted more endgame to do, more grind, just like WoW, but this is not WoW. Now they are hurting 90% of true GW2 players (who like it because of its key sellingpoints we all know). kitten!

all is vain

(edited by Emapudapus.1307)

Posted by: eyM.3019

eyM.3019

So… Jrunyon and Valtameri, are you two saying then that this is a good idea?

Like, of ALL the ideas in the entire world, this is a really… just good idea.

So what if it was kitten in every other game that tried it… right? Whiners got no sense! amirite?

Who are we to judge if it is a good idea, heck we haven’t even tested out the patch yet.
What i’m saying is that new stat isn’t gonna affect gameplay as much as people think.
If it would be widely used over the game, maybe.. But now i don’t really see the big problem here. No one is forcing you to venture 100 levels of new dungeon til’ you start needing that new gear.

Do the math. A 26% stat increase across the board with all slots filled with the new armour, weapons and accessories. ATM they are only releasing two items but more are promised. These stats will work outside the dungeon. Only the infusion slot is for the new content.
And BTW talk to us like adults please. Do not be disrespectful

Hi, I’m wondering how u achieve the calculations of getting 26% stat increase with full ascended gear. From what i have seen with the rings, +5 power/pre out of 63 power/pre(exotic) is 8%. Assuming all 8% is standardize across all accessories and wearing full ascended accessories, it will still give a 8% increase compared to full exotic accessories. You don’t actually add up the percentage increase in each item, if you add them up it’s like give 8*6=48% ,which is not the case. Of course, this is assuming the 8% increase is consistent with all ascended gear (which probably is not).

The only thing I am not happy about is the magic find . If its just magic find then it will be alright, but imagine critical damage having such a high increase. People will be doing like 300 damage crits and it’s gonna be insane!

Anyway, it’s basically choosing exotic gear with runes/sigils versus ascended gear with like 10 extra stats. Depending on profession and build, some might still stick with exotics + runes.

I am not defending A-net or anything, I hate gear treadmill as much as anyone here complaining, but before I actually flame and bring on the hurt to A-net, I will wait for the update and see what’s it gonna be like. Exotics + bonuses from runes might be still top choices for WvW/ Doesn’t mean stacking all that extra 100 or so stats will make you god in WvW, sometimes the bonuses actually are better. Maybe A-net might even introduce more runes to make it competitive with ascended gear so you actually have to think it through when choosing your gear instead of just going “zomgzzz ascendesd iz da shzit hurrrr”.

Posted by: Gnatoay.7581

Gnatoay.7581

Sorry but i would like to re-quote this:
1) ‘we have found that our most dedicated players were achieving their set of Exotic gear and hitting “the Legendary wall".’

2) ‘Our desire is to create a game that is more inclusive for hardcore and casual players alike, but we don’t want to overlook the basic need for players to feel like they are progressing and growing even after hitting max level.’

3) ‘The only way to mitigate Agony damage is by building up resistance through Infusions, a new type of upgrade component that can be acquired in the Mystic Forge.’

My interpretations are that:
1.1) who are the most dedicated players? are you refering to players who are monopolising the markets? people who had abused exploits in the past to gain their legendaries, or simply just early adopters and keen and honest farmers? legendary wall; most of us aren’t even close.

2.1)Fair enough, WvsW is like the only thing keeping me (at least) motivated even though i have acquired full exotics etc well done for that.
2.2) you have done ENOUGH already by giving us sufficult exotics to forge, these look aesthetically pleasing enough to be desired. by to grind for stats on the other hand would be sickening. the soup is good enough stop changing the recipe.

3.1) you saying that to enjoy dungeons to the max, ascended gears are mandatory?
3.2) is this another gold sink? just when you thought mystic forge wasn’t enough
watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47865FYdQjw&feature=related
GW2 1500 rare Greatswords in the Mystic Forge (280g Worth of GS)

Day in, Day out; Grinding

Posted by: Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wintyre Fraust.6534

NO for me.

This is the beginning of Anet’s new direction. I feel betrayed because they are abandoning their philosophy. It may seem insignificant increase but Anet wants to gauge how far they can push the boundary. I don’t care whether it is +1 or +9999 stats increase, it is all about principles and Anet has thrown them away.

You spoke what is in my heart as well. How disappointing.

Gah. I guess expecting any company to honor their commitments/promises is expecting too much.

Posted by: Moon.7310

Moon.7310

I admit I had a hard time adjusting to all the changes you did in GW2 compared to GW1, but I trusted you A-Net to do it right. And up until now I had a lot of fun in this game.

BUT now you are betraying that trust. You said on your own that there would be no item progression thing and yet now you do it. It might not seem like much if you compare stats of the gear, but the fact that there will be new gear you need to progress further in the word just proves that you were lying all along when you told us about the intentions and plans for GW2.

Posted by: RNKot.3956

RNKot.3956

New category of items. – Ok
New category of items inherently better than existing items. – No
New category of items inherently better than existing items only available through the mystic lottery. – No
New category of items inherently better than existing items only available through the mystic lottery and is required to do new content. – RAGE

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

No. I’d have been happy farming for that back piece just for it’s aesthetics… Pity about the rarity…

Posted by: Nhalx.9735

Nhalx.9735

Foremostly, it’s definitly accessible to everyone. (Mystic Forge)

Secondly, what do we even know about the actual materials required to craft it? (Nothing?)

Thirdly, ‘’able to acquire Ascended Rings in the Fractals of the Mists dungeon, and Ascended items worn on the back can be acquired through special Mystic Forge recipes.’’ Where does it state you you get armor right now?

Last i checked you couln’t GET ring and backpacks from dungeons and not to mention being able to craft better backslots. =/

(edited by Nhalx.9735)

Posted by: lazzalf.1495

lazzalf.1495

No, I hate the new ascended items with better stats.

Posted by: Konfuzfanten.6503

Konfuzfanten.6503

YES to new content!

NO to more powerful gear.

Commander of Blade and Quill[BaQ]
Aurora Glade <3

Posted by: Flynch.6034

Flynch.6034

I’ll vote once it’s shipped.

Posted by: Jezath.7395

Jezath.7395

Yes for me. new ascemnded items are an awesome idea!!

Tis not what they can do for you
Tis only what you can do for all

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Not to be rude but I really think you need to read the article in question a little more.

They have clearly stated they intend to roll this system out for entire gear sets.

Right back at ya.

As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see
more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game.
Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content.

They will expand the ASCENDED gear slots, only useful for the Fractal dungeon.

So .. problem?

Stats are still higher than exotic. Problem.
Gear threadmill. Problem.
False advertising. Problem.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

Not as passionate as most, but my vote is still no, more powerful items don’t do it for me. Still looking forward to the new content, but warily.

Posted by: Steve.5034

Steve.5034

First time I’ve felt the need to make a post on these forums but this really is a sad development for this game and is a huge mistake. Want evidence Arenanet?
Speak to LOTRO developers/players about the grind that was Radiance.

High end content inflicted Dread on you and the only way to counter it was Radiance on your gear. How did you get it? A long slow grind over months or forget ever seeing high end content.

LOTRO Dread = AGONY, LOTRO Radiance = INFUSIONS.

A huge grind to allow gated access to high end content which is exactly what this and was WITHDRAWN due to the huge exodus of people who were sick of not being able to do high end content without a huge amount of radiance that took months to grind.
Eventually, but for many players way too late, they recognised the joke this was and removed it.

Why on earth have you gone down any route like this when this game was supposed not pander to the 24/7 hardcore types and now does so in the worst possible way and a proven total FAILURE.

Posted by: Yareon.2835

Yareon.2835

I cant wait for this now. I will use this to my advantage in PvP to kick butt and all those who dont have the time will be left behind.
Exit the grind for looks enter the grind for power. About time Anet however my old guildies still arent coming back.

Anet explicitly stated in their manifesto that the only grind would be for looks and not for end game stats. Now they’re breking that promise.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The poll isn’t very expressive of how I feel. I have no problem with them adding a tier of gear higher then exotic to give some progression between exotic and legendary items.

I do have a problem with artificially gating content with the agony stat. This game was supposed to be about skill, and now that is completely out the window.

Posted by: clydey.4963

clydey.4963

Yay for new content.
Nay for Gear Treadmill/Content Gating.

Posted by: Celesica.5790

Celesica.5790

A lot people are leaving and said GW2 died on Nov. 13, without even having actually experienced the whole thing first, just because they are having these assumptions and such.

I’ve also heard from a lot of people saying that the end of the world is on Dec. 21, 2012. Are we going to start looking for another planet now?

Posted by: suppenkasper.5371

suppenkasper.5371

Biggest backstab in MMO history, well done ANET!

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

Do the math. A 26% stat increase across the board with all slots filled with the new armour, weapons and accessories. ATM they are only releasing two items but more are promised. These stats will work outside the dungeon. Only the infusion slot is for the new content.
And BTW talk to us like adults please. Do not be disrespectful

26% you say. Not sure how you came down to that percentage, but the exotic ring stat total is 133 and the ascended ring total is 146, that’s less than a 10%. Or maybe my math is off. :P

Seriously though, people are over exaggerating. If ANet added entire ascended armor sets, then there would be cause for alarm. However, their only adding rings and back slot items. Only three of the fourteen possible equipment, that’s a small increment.

Adding only these few items make it seem like a test run. Once the content is released, and it’s really bad, then we can vent, and the situation can still be salvaged.

Your math is off because you are ignoring the MF stats on the gear , which most people ignore for some reason. If it were an other type of gear like knight , you would see the real increase more accurately.

they are adding 3 items, lest assume MF=Crit Dmg in terms of statweight, then you will gain an extra %9 crit dmg just from the patch they are gonna impliment. Assuming you have %80 crit chance like me ,

thats gonna be %7,2 dmg increase , just from 3 items

O_o

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

LFM Fractal ppl w/o Ascend need not apply

That’s how it’s going to affect people.

Could care less about Fractal, kthnxbye.

How am I affected now?

Not everyone buy games to not care about its content and not play it like you do.

Indeed, I´m sure everybody is constantly rotating between PvE/PvP/the Dungeons and it´s just a figment of my imagination that everywhere but ORR you see Tumbleweeds going by.

Don´t follow the hysteria my friend.

Polish > hype

Posted by: bamono.7098

bamono.7098

…but it’s not the highest level gear. Not even the best stats, there is no way to know that without seeing it. They may release better runes/upgrades for exotics. It hasn’t been released. They never advertised they wouldn’t add a new dungeon specific gear.

Posted by: Moon.7310

Moon.7310

Yay for content
Nay for lying to us about item progession…

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

The poll isn’t very expressive of how I feel. I have no problem with them adding a tier of gear higher then exotic to give some progression between exotic and legendary items.

I do have a problem with artificially gating content with the agony stat. This game was supposed to be about skill, and now that is completely out the window.

It’s not a content gate though. If I’m understanding it right you’ll be able to do experience 100% of the new dungeon without the gear. It’s just that the more you play it the harder it gets which requires defense against Agony.

Posted by: Aivirth.7123

Aivirth.7123

I’ll just go back to aion, if i have to grind for gear might as well grind for a good looking one

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

Ironic considering how many people were anticipating a nerf to backstab on the 15th.

Posted by: Nhalx.9735

Nhalx.9735

First time I’ve felt the need to make a post on these forums but this really is a sad development for this game and is a huge mistake. Want evidence Arenanet?
Speak to LOTRO developers/players about the grind that was Radiance.

High end content inflicted Dread on you and the only way to counter it was Radiance on your gear. How did you get it? A long slow grind over months or forget ever seeing high end content.

LOTRO Dread = AGONY, LOTRO Radiance = INFUSIONS.

A huge grind to allow gated access to high end content which is exactly what this and was WITHDRAWN due to the huge exodus of people who were sick of not being able to do high end content without a huge amount of radiance that took months to grind.
Eventually, but for many players way too late, they recognised the joke this was and removed it.

Why on earth have you gone down any route like this when this game was supposed not pander to the 24/7 hardcore types and now does so in the worst possible way and a proven total FAILURE.

I fail to see your message.

Except that you capitalized Failure.

Sorry, but the who said anything about it being a game for 24/7 hardcore types?
For all you know it can be crafted the same way you can craft runes… with a new type of material we can gather…?
Hell, last time i checked i could craft a rune with jsut one lodestone not to mention the other materials you could use to craft one…

Posted by: Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wintyre Fraust.6534

I admit I had a hard time adjusting to all the changes you did in GW2 compared to GW1, but I trusted you A-Net to do it right. And up until now I had a lot of fun in this game.

BUT now you are betraying that trust. You said on your own that there would be no item progression thing and yet now you do it. It might not seem like much if you compare stats of the gear, but the fact that there will be new gear you need to progress further in the word just proves that you were lying all along when you told us about the intentions and plans for GW2.

When you think about all the things they could have done, the countless horizontal additions and progressions offered in the suggestions forum, it just blows my mind that they’d do something like this – just give all of us that were so devoted and such ardent defenders of their no-end-game-gear-content-progression philosophy the big middle finger.

I thought ANET understood. I thought they’d value the fact that they made promises and delivered on them, that they had created a trust with a whole community who appreciated them doing what they said they would do.

And now, they just blew it.

Sigh.

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

if its infusion is only needed to overcome the new type of dungeons, simply make it avaible to the old exotic gears instead of create a new tier with better stats!

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: Leviathan.9850

Leviathan.9850

First post just to say: No. Seriously, no to Ascended items.

Hannelora – Engineer; Fan Lei Fa – Ranger
[Xian] Terracotta Army – Desolation server

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

I would give that one to Crytpic the makers of Star Trek Online.
They really backstabbed the player base over there!

And LOL@backstab nerf comment! :P

Posted by: BurnedToast.3781

BurnedToast.3781

No, I hate the new ascended items

Posted by: kakipukul.4732

kakipukul.4732

No, I hate the new ascended items.

Posted by: Nikse.8506

Nikse.8506

Posted by: Revrak.8594

Revrak.8594

No, I hate the new ascended items
if you really are going with this, at least dont taint wvw with gear grind

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

obviously not (or I would be killing pandas.)

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

Posted by: Chrisco.5732

Chrisco.5732

May as well jump in, not that it matter, NOOOOOO to ascended gear!

And as many other have said woot for new content!

Posted by: Flynch.6034

Flynch.6034

Stick an upgrade into the upgrade slot and you’ve already overtaken the Ascended gear stats.

Jesus christ, people.

Posted by: Azaziel.3608

Azaziel.3608

Ahhh!!!… nothing like a good QQ before even seeing what the thing is really about.

Posted by: clydey.4963

clydey.4963

It’s not a content gate though. If I’m understanding it right you’ll be able to do experience 100% of the new dungeon without the gear. It’s just that the more you play it the harder it gets which requires defense against Agony.

Pretty sure they said that at a certain point the encounters will become impossible to do with 0 infusion. In the end there is still a stop sign saying “you cannot do this unless you have that” which is in essence gating content.

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

NO to new stats

YES to new looks

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

High end content inflicted Dread on you and the only way to counter it was Radiance on your gear.

Please correct me if I´m wrong, but didn´t you forget the small word
A L L
in front of the “high end content” bit?

If so then LOTRO is completely irrelevant to this discussion as Agony/Infusion only works in ONE (endless) dungeon.
And AFAIK it will be the only place for the foreseeable future, as it´s only one frikken island that we get. Not a whole slew of maps like in a real expansion.

When Ag./Inf. is mandatory for the actual expansions, THEN it´s time to get the pitchforks out.

Stick an upgrade into the upgrade slot and you’ve already overtaken the Ascended gear stats.

Jesus christ, people.

So much this.

Polish > hype

Posted by: showatt.9413

showatt.9413

The problem is not the stat of the gears.

When the level cap is raised, you can bet the level 85 gears are going to be better than lvl 80s.

The problem is with the content.

Do we need this new tier of gear to access the dungeon or not?

If a certain part is restricted to those with the ascended gear, that means its a mechanic that forces you to grind. This is bad and outdated design, a bad employment of gear progression, which is used by all other traditional MMO.

If this is coming to Gw2, and all future dungeons will be created this way, with a certain part limited to people with certain gear, then you might as well go play another MMO.

(edited by showatt.9413)

Posted by: Spryt.8012

Spryt.8012

…but it’s not the highest level gear. Not even the best stats, there is no way to know that without seeing it. They may release better runes/upgrades for exotics. It hasn’t been released. They never advertised they wouldn’t add a new dungeon specific gear.

And that is why most are complaining. Anet promised a game with no gear treadmill. Only a few months in and we are on the way there. Even a small increase in stats will make older content gated.

The best thing about GW2 was once you get the exotic you wanted you had the best gear and could do everything in game without any pre requisites. Having gear with better stats or even worse a completely new stat to complete new content is the definition of a gear treadmill.

A new Rift expansion is coming soon. I have not played since start and even though my char was max level with all end game gear when I left I am now so far behind in the gear treadmill I will need to spend ages grinding old content to even be able to try the new stuff. Anet said GW2 would be different. Seams it is not.

Posted by: Miragee.3604

Miragee.3604

NAY for gear progression.

Yes for new content.

Posted by: Godomir.7159

Godomir.7159

nein nein nein nein

No, absolutely no.

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

“…about these new items as I am!”

No, I am sooooooo not excited about these new items. At the contrary, we do NOT need another MMO with gear tiers.

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

I don’t think I would mind this new tier of gear as much if I did not have to grind out a new set of appearance gear.

It’s only for one dungeon right? It is not as if they are going to keep introducing new instances that each require a different infusion or something.

Posted by: Celesica.5790

Celesica.5790

This feels like betrayal for many Gw1 vets.

What do you hate about it?
Did you know how it exactly works?
Have you worn one?
Have you killed an enemy or a lot of enemies with it?
Are you waaaaay better with it compared to exotic ones?
Did you grind a lot to be able to get it and be better than anyone who doesn’t have it?
Then how many hours?
Are the Infusion stuff better than sigils and runes?
What are the difference?
Will you feel behind if you haven’t got an Ascended item because you’re a casual player?
Are you useless inside the new dungeon if you didn’t have the Ascended items or Infused them?

I needed answers, please.
I don’t know how these items work yet, so I’m going to wait for the exact day and try it myself before judging that ANet betrayed me.

I’m never going to move to Mars because I haven’t seen or felt any signs that Earth is going to end yet although a lot of people in the internet have been claiming that the end is on Dec. 21, 2012, so they started prepping or killing themselves. Same for GW2 – they’re telling me it died today. xD Then how?