Logun.2349

this is a bait and switch scam.

lol you may be right

This …1000x this

Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Although I can not stand the rabid fans who twisted and hyped every thing to a unreal level all the while bash other games and people who didn’t agree, I feel sorry for them. They were lied to.

They put there neck out there everyday defending things like the lack if progression and the Halloween event, only to have the rug pulled out from under them.

I for one support the change, but I’m not blind to the pain and embarrassment hardened supporters are feeling.

I hope you guys pull through. We might not always agree, but we are the community, not the devs, publisher, or shareholders. I support you guys.

BC

If you wanted gear progression why did you buy GW2? There are a million other MMOS you could have played, why did you ruin this one for us?

Posted by: Lifeson.4352

Lifeson.4352

If this isn’t downgraded to exotic level in WvW it’s a huge mistake. If not, it’s great for everyone IMO. PvE people get something to do and WvW’ers won’t be affected.

What worries me is there’s no mention either way so I’m assuming it will be usable in WvW.

Posted by: Caledore.6271

Caledore.6271

To start with, I’ve really enjoyed the game thus far and feel I’ve already gotten my money’s worth.

That said, I’m extremely disappointed by ANet’s decision to go back on their design philosophy and begin implementing a gear treadmill into the game – which they said was against their MMO Manifesto. I, like many other players here, have grown tired of gear treadmills in MMOs, and that’s why I came to GW2 – it promised to be different. Now, only 3 months into the game, ANet is already breaking that promise.

I knew going in this was probably my last MMO, but I had hoped it would last me a year or more. It certainly had the potential. But personally – and I realize some people feel differently – the idea of having to grind for more gear just kills my interest in playing any more, other than maybe the occasional foray into WvW.

I’m not here to threaten to quit unless this is reversed or anything like that. I just wanted to add another opinion to the discussion, and I’m glad to see I’m not alone in my disappointment with ANet.

Posted by: Craiger.8579

Craiger.8579

The thing that turned me off from games like WoW, (well don’t know how WoW is now) was the fact that you needed to have a guild, and be active in it to be able to experience all content…..

This is NOT the same thing, I can experience all the content from the beginning…….. So if you are a casual player, and don’t have time to get this gear, then just enjoy the easier levels of the dungeon……. You get the same experience……

I do hope the armor will be pretty hard to get though, cause otherwise it would be useless to do the other dungeons…….. for people that are not casual players at least…..

But if this armor is hard to get, then I don’t think this is a bad idea at all….. Cause like I said everyone will be able to experience the dungeon whatever gear they have…… and when you have got your exotics you can move on to try to get the ascended gear, just like some go after the legendary weapons right now…….

I see it exactly like the grind for the legendary weapons except this is more fun, it being in a dungeon……….

I’m sure this will not become a gear treadmill….. Especially since they will only add back-piece and accessory(?) ascended gear right now, and there will only be infusions for the dungeon….. So if everyone complain as much after the patch, I’m sure they will make changes to their ideas further on….

Posted by: Reclaimer.9276

Reclaimer.9276

Justn now i read the post about the ascended gear and am really disappointed. I loved gw2 so far coz it took the best from gw1 and added good things from other games. For me some of the good things from gw1 was not constantly rasing the vlv cap wich i find total bs and not always adding some stupid better stats (if even for a %) gear to farm to infinity and then when you reach it even better comes out. Thi is complete bs and i am really really disappointed in anet right now.
In my opinion they should have just expended the wvw world or something else instead of gear crap. Now if you woun’t farm this kitten you will automatickly be inferior to those who will….

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

Hi, Linsey, Arenanet.

Let me add my name to the list of people wanting a bit of clarification of the intention behind ascended gear. The wording of the blog posted earlier leaves a lot of us scarred old mmo vets rather nervous indeed – it seems to leave the door open to content gating based on the quality of gear a player has equipped.

There are several questions:

1. Is Ascended gear intended to be an unequivocal upgrade to exotics, or a sidegrade, or mostly applicable only within the certain dungeon it’s designed for?

2. Are we going to see new colors/tiers of gear released in future?

3. Are we going to see content released in future that requires/is balanced for people equipped with maximum-stat gear, or more content released that is designed to be farmed for ‘x-resistance’ gear?

I’ll level with you – I’m an old time raider. Frankly, I feel like a reformed smoker. I realize that wow exploited a cheap chemical trick in my brain and that it had the potential very easily to make me behave in ways that were nonsensical and even bad for me. I’ve grown disgusted by the tactic of the endlessly moving goal posts, feeling like Charlie Brown with the football – along with other criticisms, the release of ‘black hole’ gear is one of the reasons I left SWTOR; I had hoped up until that point that it might prove to have more horizontal progression.

So, for me, and seemingly for a lot of people, the prospect that Guild Wars was a game that you could get your gear, then relax and play when and how you wished, was super attractive.

One new tier of gear quality might not change that, but it’s the fact that the goal posts have moved so quickly that makes us believe that they could move again.

Please do clarify. I honestly don’t want this to be the ‘scale tipper’ that I suspect it will be, because I really do think GW2 is an awesome game. I simply can not participate with a ‘gear grind’, ever again. I’m a total f2p virgin, and I was getting so close to saying that I love the game enough to hit that ‘buy gem’ button, but .. this worries me.

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

Thanks for merging all these threads and making it impossible to carry on the different discussions.

Posted by: Sam.4728

Sam.4728

First, take a deep breath. :-) Let’s not turn this topic into another flamewar thread.

Euh… how can you say that adding a new tier of gear is NOT an addition of a gear treadmill?

The difference is how many times they do it. If they only add one new tier, it is not an endless treadmill. Like I said, my reading of the post was:
1. Legendary is (and will always be) top
2. Exotics are too far from legendaries in effort to acquire.
3. We will add one time only ascended items to bridge the gap between exotic and legendary

So, you will need to get a new ascended piece of armor from each new dungeon until you are fully ascended. Then the treadmill stops. I definitely agree with you that it is a treadmill, but like I said: I think it’s not nearly as bad as people are thinking. You have to upgrade a couple items per dungeons, not all of them. Furthermore, after a few content releases, the upgrades stop. Furthermore, if you get legendaries, you won’t even need to bother with any future ascended items.

Posted by: Mevic.7489

Mevic.7489

So, if they are are going to buff up the legendary weapons once ascended weapons are out, those who already transmuted the legendary skin to exotics are screwed right?
Cause for some classes legendary stats are useless.

Posted by: Teknobug.3782

Teknobug.3782

If this game turns into a gear grind, I’m done with it. I don’t have the time to pour into that. I’m not one to chase the carrot on the stick, I’ve been in plenty of MMO’s with such a ridiculous grind that I’m done with those.

Yak’s Bend WvWvW’er [Mount Phoenix Imperials]
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 ram | Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB (14.2)
Win 8 Pro 64bit

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

So legendary grind is ok but a grind to progress is not ok? Uhm what?

What’s this about Ascended set that prob won’t have toughness, vitality being better than the WvW set that has the stats that are useful for WvW (you know, survival). You all have fun with that Ascended gear that gives MF, crit, etc while I have WvW gear that mitigates dmg and gives me increased hp.

A bunch of whining in this thread. Don’t do the new dungeon if you don’t want to have to get the ascended gear.

Its so funny, people complain there’s now way to progress beyond what we have now, ANet gives it to us and they complain about that. If I don’t want to get ascended gear and run the new dungeon, I don’t have to and neither do you. I’m cool with having all crafted exotics and eventually working towards the mystic forge uniques (not legendarys). Skin progression is basically the same as gear stat progression. If you don’t care to get it, you can choose not to. Only the vain and elitist care for legendary skins and gear stat progression. This is the people that have legendaries – “Look at me, I have a rainbow bow, I am so pro, I am not going to tell you what weapon this is when asked and instead just waypoint away because you are inferior to me”. The people that play for stat progression are the same way – “You don’t have my level of gear, you’re inferior”.

Furthermore, the people that get legendaries really shouldn’t be complaining because…

“So fear not, all existing Legendary weapons, which are currently on par with Exotics, will be upgraded to be on par with Ascended weapons at the same time that we add Ascended weapons to the game. Thus Legendaries will remain “best-in-slot” items. All Legendary items going forward will be of Ascended power.”

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

(edited by Magiofdeath.2745)

Posted by: Natural.7013

Natural.7013

I love vertical progression. This game had no depth. They are moving in right direction.

Posted by: Budchgon.2108

Budchgon.2108

On Gandhara server just made 80 on my Thief looking for mats to craft for my exotics (currently using rare) and constantly bombarded on the chat by …

(LFG warriors or Guardians EXOTICS ONLY)
(LFG heavy damage dealers required, only want EXOTICS)

And this is going on all the time – i thought this game was trying to get away from the Elitism that plagues other MMOs?

Makes me very hesitant to join any dungeon hunt for the constant moaning and kitten boasting about how my gear sucks and should ltp from the no life power gamers :-(

Lyssia Iceblood of Gandara – I sometimes win… but not often :-(

Posted by: Grommi.5634

Grommi.5634

People are dramatic, ANet.

They’re not going to leave, quit, or sue you, for adding Agony and Infusion, with minor stat bolsters. Please don’t let the raging forum community ruin a perfectly good update.

And also, please add larger than 5 man dungeons so I can experience them fully with my guild! Thanks!

Posted by: Shoahson.6493

Shoahson.6493

What makes me really worried is fact, that not even 3 months have passed since GW2 release, and we are already getting a higher tier of items. What will happen after a year or two?
In first Guild Wars, when I was coming back after a longer break to experience new expansion/content, I knew my old gear is enough to finish it. Didn’t matter if it was PvE of PvP. I could just hop in and enjoy the game like everyone else.
But now I’m getting a feeling that in GW2 it will be no longer possible. That at some point I won’t be able to progress, and all that effort put in getting that expensive exotic gear was meaningless. The feeling of completion I had since yesterday, when I finally got the last piece of exotic gear for my main char, just faded away.

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

I am very excited for this. I think it is a step in the right direction. No matter how pretty the game is or how cool some of the armor looks, there will always be some form of progression in an mmo. It is the nature of the beast. I think they are taking great strides in trying to make this game appeal to a wide range of tastes as to make the game have a better player retention rate. More people playing is a good thing.
I look at it like this.
1. If you like open world pve…you’ve got it.
2. If you like regular dungeon running…you’ve got it.
3. If you like spvp… you’ve got it.
4. If you like wvw…you’ve got it.
5. And now, if your into getting new things for more power, you’ve got that too.
None of it is required, yet all paths are available for every play style.
In the end in almost every mmo, the acquisition of new stuff is the driving force behind it all. If some people need a carrot on a stick to keep them going, so be it. Eventually, (I’m crossing my fingers here) They may introduce raids!!! GASP!!! Oh the horror! People just need to relax and see where this new stuff takes us. I seriously doubt it’ll be as bad as people think. Besides, even if it did become a wow clone in the future, I’d rather play this than have to pay a monthly sub to do the same thing. People just need to chill out.

Seriously why did you buy GW2 in the first place? Aren’t the millions of other MMOs enough for you? Why does GW2 have to be exactly the same?

The same question can be said for those who believes endgame gear progression is bad thing and believe Gw2 should not include it. Why should GW2 be exactly like GW1?
Now I’m not saying needing to get a certain stat to be able to do dungeon isn’t ridiculous – that’s completely dumb.

But if its just a better tier of gear with non of the infusion stuff I’m all for it. Guild Wars 2 is not meant to be guild war 1 as it is nothing like guild wars 1 from the get go. If I want a game where I’m only ever gonna grind for skin I’ll go play GW1.

Excatly! If people thought that Guild Wars 2 was going to stay the same as Guild Wars 1 then they are in for many more surprises!

Also compared to other MMO’s Guild Wars 2 has many things they don’t have.
Example:

Combat is different
Graphics are different
Questing is different
Dynamic Events is different
Personal Story line is different than most MMO’s (minus SWTOR).
WvWvW is different
Quickbars are different
Being in multiple guilds is different
Dungeons are slightly different
Crafting is slightly different

Its a BUY2PLAY game (which was a huge bonus for me)

Those are just some of the reasons why I bought Guild Wars 2.

You could say if you don’t like the gear progression can just go back and play Guild Wars 1! Be thankful it’s still up and running!
People who did not like SWTOR and wanted to go back to SWG didn’t have that choice!

So in short, GW2 is now just another WoW clone and if you don’t like go play a 7 year old game.

Well enjoy the mess they are creating with this while it lasts. The people who like it will eventually just all head back to WoW just like they have done with every other WoW clone and you will end up with just half a server left.

Adding a gear treadmill doesn’t make it a WoWClone. Just stop…..

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

So legendary grind is ok but a grind to progress is not ok? Uhm what?

What’s this about Ascended set that prob won’t have toughness, vitality being better than the WvW set that has the stats that are useful for WvW (you know, survival). You all have fun with that Ascended gear that gives MF, crit, etc while I have WvW gear that mitigates dmg and gives me increased hp.

A bunch of whining in this thread. Don’t do the new dungeon if you don’t want to have to get the ascended gear.

Its so funny, people complain there’s now way to progress beyond what we have now, ANet gives it to us and they complain about that. If I don’t want to get ascended gear and run the new dungeon, I don’t have to and neither do you. I’m cool with having all crafted exotics and eventually working towards the mystic forge uniques (not legendarys). Skin progression is basically the same as gear stat progression. If you don’t care to get it, you can choose not to. Only the vain and elitist care for legendary skins and gear stat progression. This is the people that have legendaries – “Look at me, I have a rainbow bow, I am so pro, I am not going to tell you what weapon this is when asked and instead just waypoint away because you are inferior to me”. The people that play for stat progression are the same way – “You don’t have my level of gear, you’re inferior”.

You honestly think there won’t be different gear sets to complement different players… come on dude.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Meh. Go spam your “LFG don’t care about level/gear” and if you don’t get a group waay before those other people, I’ll eat my right arm.

Posted by: showatt.9413

showatt.9413

Euh… how can you say that adding a new tier of gear is NOT an addition of a gear treadmill?

What else is it then?

It is what it is: they added a new tier of gear, that you must get to do the new end-game-content.

Don’t cover it up and say that it is something else.

The fact that they don’t add all the new tier items in the game at once does not make it anything else then what it is: a new tier of gear.

And this is regarlessly of the infusion stat. If the infusion stat is like -10 agony, then you do not need to grind out the infusion, but you will still need to grind out the new pieces for the extra stats.

If the infusion is like +10 health regeneration, well, then you will have to grind out the infusion too.

But no matter what, you will always have to grind an extra tier.

Err no.

Without the infusion, You don’t HAVE to grind for the extra tier if you don’t want to.

You only need that gear if you want to do the new content, which is stupid.

There’s nothing wrong with having the option to get better gear, so long as it can’t be used in spvp. Why do you guys think endgame gear progression is such an evil thing?
Is having the option to “get better gears that doesn’t makes you overpower in pvp and helps you do dungeon faster” really that bad?

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

People said that they wanted something to go for between legendary and exotics, and you have it.

People don’t require that you have a legendary to participate and I imagine all content outside of this dungeon will not require ascended gear.

In addition, they did NOT change the highest tiered gear in the game. The top stats still belong to legendary gear.

Mountain, meet molehill.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Tantalus.2856

Tantalus.2856

I am hoping that because it has been stated they are working on keeping the legendary colour/status when transmuting, (http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/243705-legendary-weapon-transmutation/) we will at the very least be able to transmute again to give ascended stats. I am about to get my legendary and was intending to transmute using a different set of stats from an exotic, however I will now be waiting to see what happens in the next patch. For those that already have transmuted – I wouldn’t be worried because they have said legendaries will remain BiS and it would be a joke to punish the players that have worked the hardest for there gear. If the stat boost isn’t given immediately it will come in the future I would imagine.

King Tantalus – Mesmer – Yak

showatt.9413

I am very excited for this. I think it is a step in the right direction. No matter how pretty the game is or how cool some of the armor looks, there will always be some form of progression in an mmo. It is the nature of the beast. I think they are taking great strides in trying to make this game appeal to a wide range of tastes as to make the game have a better player retention rate. More people playing is a good thing.
I look at it like this.
1. If you like open world pve…you’ve got it.
2. If you like regular dungeon running…you’ve got it.
3. If you like spvp… you’ve got it.
4. If you like wvw…you’ve got it.
5. And now, if your into getting new things for more power, you’ve got that too.
None of it is required, yet all paths are available for every play style.
In the end in almost every mmo, the acquisition of new stuff is the driving force behind it all. If some people need a carrot on a stick to keep them going, so be it. Eventually, (I’m crossing my fingers here) They may introduce raids!!! GASP!!! Oh the horror! People just need to relax and see where this new stuff takes us. I seriously doubt it’ll be as bad as people think. Besides, even if it did become a wow clone in the future, I’d rather play this than have to pay a monthly sub to do the same thing. People just need to chill out.

Seriously why did you buy GW2 in the first place? Aren’t the millions of other MMOs enough for you? Why does GW2 have to be exactly the same?

The same question can be said for those who believes endgame gear progression is bad thing and believe Gw2 should not include it. Why should GW2 be exactly like GW1?
Now I’m not saying needing to get a certain stat to be able to do dungeon isn’t ridiculous – that’s completely dumb.

But if its just a better tier of gear with non of the infusion stuff I’m all for it. Guild Wars 2 is not meant to be guild war 1 as it is nothing like guild wars 1 from the get go. If I want a game where I’m only ever gonna grind for skin I’ll go play GW1.

Excatly! If people thought that Guild Wars 2 was going to stay the same as Guild Wars 1 then they are in for many more surprises!

Also compared to other MMO’s Guild Wars 2 has many things they don’t have.
Example:

Combat is different
Graphics are different
Questing is different
Dynamic Events is different
Personal Story line is different than most MMO’s (minus SWTOR).
WvWvW is different
Quickbars are different
Being in multiple guilds is different
Dungeons are slightly different
Crafting is slightly different

Its a BUY2PLAY game (which was a huge bonus for me)

Those are just some of the reasons why I bought Guild Wars 2.

You could say if you don’t like the gear progression can just go back and play Guild Wars 1! Be thankful it’s still up and running!
People who did not like SWTOR and wanted to go back to SWG didn’t have that choice!

So in short, GW2 is now just another WoW clone and if you don’t like go play a 7 year old game.

Well enjoy the mess they are creating with this while it lasts. The people who like it will eventually just all head back to WoW just like they have done with every other WoW clone and you will end up with just half a server left.

Sorry, but not every game that has a gear progression is a wow clone.

Number 1, pvp in gw2 is not influenced by gear progression.

As long as you have that, it will never be a wow clone.

Please stop using wow as a reference for all things MMO ty.

Posted by: Lifeson.4352

Lifeson.4352

An idea I had for Ascended gear is to have normal exotic stats PLUS magic find. Then you will get something out of it but not have more power than people without it.

Teknobug.3782

I’m very excited and gonna pwn a lot of people in WvWvW w/ my new Ascended gears to whoever doesn’t want to do the new dungeon & QQers!

<3 Anet!

This is my other concern, this can create pvp imbalance.

Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 ram | Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB (14.2)
Win 8 Pro 64bit

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

this is a bait and switch scam.

lol you may be right

This …1000x this

Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud, most commonly used in retail sales but also applicable to other contexts. First, customers are “baited” by advertising for a product or service at a low price; second, the customers discover that the advertised good is not available and are “switched” to a costlier product.

Yup Yup

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I won’t be defending ANet’s decision, but rather to say that this was a much needed thing. Yes, they can certainly travel down the path of a gear treadmill if they continue this trend, but i highly doubt they will. It just feels right now it’s that little extra polish the end game really needed.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Wildman.9641

Wildman.9641

“The new additions in November are just the start of our item progression initiative. We’re going to add tons of new high-level content to Guild Wars 2 in the future. As we introduce the new high-level content, we’ll also roll out complimentary Ascended and Legendary items (to say nothing of the other rewards you can earn by playing the content).”

Gear grinding. They lied to get my money. At least they could have waited a while longer before exposing themselves.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

People said that they wanted something to go for between legendary and exotics, and you have it.

People don’t require that you have a legendary to participate and I imagine all content outside of this dungeon will not require ascended gear.

In addition, they did NOT change the highest tiered gear in the game. The top stats still belong to legendary gear.

Mountain, meet molehill.

Only because they will be buffing legendary stats to match Ascended. At the moment they are the same as exotic, that is why people don’t ask for legendaries.

If people don’t think that dungeon groups and maybe even guilds will start demanding for ascended geared players or that this won’t give people an advantage in WvWvW then you are fooling yourself.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

Yes they have.

Exotic was effectively the highest tier in game: Legendary was just the skin, because stats were the same.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

Although I can not stand the rabid fans who twisted and hyped every thing to a unreal level all the while bash other games and people who didn’t agree, I feel sorry for them. They were lied to.

They put there neck out there everyday defending things like the lack if progression and the Halloween event, only to have the rug pulled out from under them.

I for one support the change, but I’m not blind to the pain and embarrassment hardened supporters are feeling.

I hope you guys pull through. We might not always agree, but we are the community, not the devs, publisher, or shareholders. I support you guys.

BC

If you wanted gear progression why did you buy GW2? There are a million other MMOS you could have played, why did you ruin this one for us?

You seem to say this a lot Levetty.
But in reality its you who would have runined GW2. Someone who wants the exact same thing as Guild Wars 1 and have no change or progression and only play “dress up my character” that is just beyond dumb.

Learn 2 accept change. If you don’t like it Go Play Guild Wars ONE! At least you have that option still!

Teknobug.3782

Sorry, but not every game that has a gear progression is a wow clone.

Number 1, pvp in gw2 is not influenced by gear progression.

As long as you have that, it will never be a wow clone.

Please stop using wow as a reference for all things MMO ty.

Almost every MMO game in the past 5+ years has tried to copy WoW in one way or another, so far GW2 and TSW hasn’t and GW2 seems to be succeeding pretty well because they brought something different.

Win 8 Pro 64bit

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

I’m very excited and gonna pwn a lot of people in WvWvW w/ my new Ascended gears to whoever doesn’t want to do the new dungeon & QQers!

<3 Anet!

I actully hope it does create an imbalance, this will force them to make a change to remove the imbalance – they can’t just say “well if you want an even playing field in WvWvW, go do dungeons”.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

Wow, this thread is a mess. They are cramming anything related to this topic right into this one and making it even more confusing than it already is. What real dev is going to even bother reading it now? lol.

This… I can’t find the posts I made or the responses to them anymore.. I was trying to carry on a conversation in a small spinoff thread.. and now, it’s like the posts don’t exist.. you can search for them, but if you click on them, they’re no where to be found…

Slow down and smell the pixels.

showatt.9413

Wow, this thread is a mess. They are cramming anything related to this topic right into this one and making it even more confusing than it already is. What real dev is going to even bother reading it now? lol.

It’s actually best that they don’t.

honestly most people here are all about GW1 and wanting to make the game exclusive to GW1 fans.

They don’t want to game to reach out to a new market – instead they’re happy to close their eye and pretend the game isn’t dying because the lack of progression.

Gw2 is nothing like Gw1, which is why the “diehard” gw1 fans have already gone back to gw1.

Gw2 is a game on its own, and it has attracted not only gw1 fans but also fans of other MMO. to satisfy everyone’s need, compromises have to be made. It’s really sad how most of the community doesn’t seem to understand that.

Posted by: Vedam.6790

Vedam.6790

As I already said yesterday on page 6 or so…
I’m no fan of this “ascended gear”
I don’t like it.
Not-at-all.

We can only hope that the devs will listen to us.
Someone who knows someone who’s working or writing for a gamenews page on the internet should hurry and dedicate an article to this matter and spread the word, that
Anet went to the dark side.

Posted by: captaincrunch.6731

captaincrunch.6731

I think this is great and look forward to this new content.

Those of us that don’t agree with the hardcore gw1 purists on this forum have been told time and time again by everyone here that if what we want is end game progression what we should do is basically screw off and go find another game. Well, I’m glad I stuck around.

Thanks Anet.

Posted by: DOW Mageski.2097

DOW Mageski.2097

Gear Treadmill = Bad design. Please Anet stop.

This is just a one more post against the terrible idea of a gear treadmill in GW2.

#OccupySAB2014 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Forgotten Vanguard [TFV], a 18+ great guild. On the Gandara server.
Join. http://forgottenvanguard.enjin.com/

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

I won’t be defending ANet’s decision, but rather to say that this was a much needed thing. Yes, they can certainly travel down the path of a gear treadmill if they continue this trend, but i highly doubt they will. It just feels right now it’s that little extra polish the end game really needed.

I’m sorry but i simply can’t see how.

The whole game was balances (where it was balanced…) with Exotic gear stats in mind, exotic was meant to be the top tier, always.
How is adding a new tier for no-life farmers who didn’t read game description before they bought it adding polish to the game?

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: Floryn.6307

Floryn.6307

What that recent blog post failed to re-iterate for the players who weren’t blessed with enough grey matter is:

• Agony condition can only be applied by mobs/mechanics that will be implemented post 15 Nov Patch;
  • Agony condition cannot be applied by players ( to alienate the folks that think this extrapolates to WvW);
  • Infusion mechanic is only required in future dungeon and wont affect old ones;

The above being said, as an ex HC AoC player I can tell you that this is “Khitai gear” and “critigation” all over again. This (and AA’s) did more harm to the game then helping. It created such a huge gap between HC and casual players that the game never recovered from.

Band of BrothersMore than a guild, more than a team

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

The introduction of ascended armor does feel counter to the original manifesto and philosophy introduced to us during the pre-launch marketing.

That said, I do see some room for progression and actually like the idea of infusions. Like most here, however, I don’t see why they have to come with stat increases.

My biggest concerns with stat increases are as follows:

- Discourage people from running the “other” dungeons. It will make it harder to find groups for CoF, AC, etc.

- Further invalidate the playability of lower level zones. Full exotics already make it too easy to steamroll through lvl 35, 60 or even 75 zones. We do not need to add to that.

- WvW imbalance.

- Makes it harder on casual players who really loved the idea of no gear grind (after seeing what it does first hand in other games).

- It makes it very hard for people trying to assemble multiple “end game” armor sets (knight’s set, berserker’s set, etc)

Those are the big ones, but Im sure there are others.

I am still looking forward to this weekend and Lost Isles, but the idea of another tier of gear leaves me very concerned.

I think it would be enough to simply give us a way to add infusion slots to exotic gear as a way of giving more “hardcore” players a sense of progression – without the bump in stats currently planned.

I find myself hoping they reconsider based on the deluge of customer feedback.

Posted by: BurnedToast.3781

BurnedToast.3781

You do realize that agony is only in the most deepest levels of new dungeon, not anywhere else. Impact to the overall PvE experience will be minimal.

You do realize, per the blog post, this is only the beginning and they will be adding more and more gear treadmill/content gating right?

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

honestly most people here are all about GW1 and wanting to make the game exclusive to GW1 fans.

They don’t want to game to reach out to a new market – instead they’re happy to close their eye and pretend the game isn’t dying because the lack of progression.

Gw2 is nothing like Gw1, which is why the “diehard” gw1 fans have already gone back to gw1.

Gw2 is a game on its own, and it has attracted not only gw1 fans but also fans of other MMO. to satisfy everyone’s need, compromises have to be made. It’s really sad how most of the community doesn’t seem to understand that.

well, then it would have been rather up front of them to say “we are making a WoW-hybrid with lots of grinding” instead of boasting for years “we will reinvent the genre and there will be no powercreep and gear treadmill”, wouldn´t you agree?

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

your interpretation, maybe of the particular tread you were in.

But MANY posts are not about GW1 at all…

That is exactly why they should NOT merge. Because of what you do: you draw a conclusion based upon your own thread you were discussing, while it’s not necessarily true for all the other threads merged with that.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

about 4000 posts about this issue in two days lets me wonder: how come the conclusion that most of the gw2 players want a gear progression?

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: jG Geej.6459

jG Geej.6459

What that recent blog post failed to re-iterate for the players who weren’t blessed with enough grey matter is:

• Agony condition can only be applied by mobs/mechanics that will be implemented post 15 Nov Patch;
  • Agony condition cannot be applied by players ( to alienate the folks that think this extrapolates to WvW);
  • Infusion mechanic is only required in future dungeon and wont affect old ones;

The above being said, as an ex HC AoC player I can tell you that this is “Khitai gear” and “critigation” all over again. This (and AA’s) did more harm to the game then helping. It created such a huge gap between HC and casual players that the game never recovered from.

Your comparison to AoC is not accurate at all, as critigation directly applied to PvP, which was everywhere in that game.

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

<3 Anet!

I actully hope it does create an imbalance, this will force them to make a change to remove the imbalance – they can’t just say “well if you want an even playing field in WvWvW, go do dungeons”.

It will create imbalance for sure!
Think about a mirror match (same class, same build) with 2 equally skilled players! Better gear = WIN

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: Cappy.2786

Cappy.2786

Only ppl that didin’t play GW1 will rage,nuff said

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I don’t think it sounds too bad. Good compromise imo. Hopefully it won’t get too confusing in the long run.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Sam.4728

Sam.4728

It’s interesting that this thread hasn’t been sucked into the ascended mega-thread vortex. Probably because it is contentless praise. Several threads with real discussion and constructive criticism got eaten by the forum moderator. Either merge this thread too, or admit the hypocrisy.