Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Guitarzero.8316

Guitarzero.8316

they are only releasing rings and back right now
so lets say they roll out 2-3 items per patch (if it goes monthly)

that would be a new full set of armor in about 5 months
i don’t see the problem in that considering in that time (plus time spent) you could pretty much get 75% of the sets out there if not more….

Posted by: Vinland.9153

Vinland.9153

I pretty much just found out about all of this. I think I’ve only used this forum once before (since release) and that was to thank ArenaNet for the addition of the Mad king chest system. I have to say though, this is pretty disappointing to hear, and it looks poised to make Upgrade items/slots obsolete.

Posted by: jboynton.7894

jboynton.7894

Oh well, to the cry babies, goodbye and send me your stuff when you rage.

I’m always amused by players who post these kind of replies. Especially when later road after they….haz all ur l00tz….they’re asking for server merges and lfg tools cause there’s no one on to play.

Posted by: Cotillion.7435

Cotillion.7435

I don’t understand you people. What is the difference of grinding FOR A SKIN vs. grinding for a minimal stat increase? It probably isn’t going to be more than a 1 point stat difference like crafted vs. dungeon. Get over yourselves. You will grind for a legendary for 1 more point stat, but not armour? Oh well, to the cry babies, goodbye and send me your stuff when you rage.

Two points:

+10 stats on a single item is not minimal.

Legendary items don’t have any additional stats over exotics, they’re cosmetic only.

Posted by: Crackbone.5710

Crackbone.5710

Guys:

Gw1——-> CORPG
Gw2——-> MMORPG

what is appening atm is absolutely normal.

Bingo.

Only people with little MMORPG experience, who only knew EQ/WoW clones, can think a gear grind is the only way to make a MMORPG “end game”. Any veteran who played those games since UO or before know WoW only took the easy route, and that there are many more ways to make a good MMORPG.

And this isn’t a sandbox.

If this were a sandbox, you’d have a valid argument, alas, it’s not. It’s not for that type market.

I’d suggest you go give Darkfall : Unholy Wars a try later this month if that’s what you are looking for.

AC1 wasn’t a sandbox yet didn’t have a gear grind either. Your argument doesn’t hold any water, except showing how limited your vision about what a MMORPG can be is.
Don’t limit what is possible to the limits of your own imagination.

I’m not the game designer.

This game has clearly been produced for the WoW era.

Unfortunately, imagination doesn’t pay the bills. If it did, we’d not be having this discussion in the first place, because their horizontal gear model would be working, and thriving.

Obviously, it’s not.

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

okay, i saw this ( https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear ) and now I feel like I can relax…

also if you guys are worried of the elitists pugs, get a guild and do dungeons with people you know

Posted by: noskill.6294

noskill.6294

Guys:

Gw1——-> CORPG
Gw2——-> MMORPG

It is not, we were promised a skill based MMO, not a gear based MMO. You can find many quotes from top people at ANet stating there won’t be any statistical end-game gear progression in this game only cosmetic “progression”.

If I wanted a gear based MMO I’d still be playing WoW, LOTRO, Aion, SW:TOR, Rift just to name a few.

The irony with your name is very entertaining Made me laugh for the first time reading this behemoth of a thread. Thank you for that. Nothing personal, I’m sure you’re a very skilled player.

ahahah old quake nickname))

btw i agree with you, they promise us a SKILL based game,
but after 2 months they have realized that a mmorpg HAVE to give to the “hardcore” players some to play for.

obv IMHO.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Runes

It seems a bit hasty to conclude that the new ascended gear are a “must have” for situations other than ones where baddies can inflict “agony”. Looking for the positives here – I don’t think Anet will make exotics obsolete (and clearly piss nearly everyone off) and force people into a gear treadmill for “must-haves”.

The Ascended gear does not account for set bonus given by runes. If anything, perhaps the Ascended gear might become a “third set/fourth set” that one wears for specific instances if they choose to do them (when bored with Plinx, etc). MF set, wvw set, now Ascended set for Fractals.

Many seem to be jumping to the conclusion that the difference between, say, an Exotic coat or pants vs the Ascended coat/pants will be of X% such that Ascended will necessarily make exotics obsolete. We simply do not know this to be the case yet, escpecially considering the lack of rune options on the Ascended.

Considering the explosive feedback, this is a very good idea.

I love Rune of the Soldier on my Warrior. This would be a great way to not make exotics obsolete.

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

In November we’ll unveil the first Ascended items. This new rarity type falls between Exotic and Legendary on the spectrum of rarity and has slightly higher stats than Exotics.

Source: https://www.guildwar...-ascended-gear/

For me, more acceptable approach should have been as follows:

To bridge the Exotic to Legendary gap:

1. Introduce slots on existing items.
2. Introduce different upgrade components like runes that provide variety of effects, defense (such as KD resists, daze resists etc.) and offense benefits (Less chance to miss owing to elevation differences, more critical chances etc.) without impacting the stat numbers.

Why I hate this “slightly higher stats” concept?

1. It introduces power creep and way too early in the lifecycle of this MMO franchise. Given how old this game is, its like Nightfall just happened too early for this franchise.
2. The game is easy enough. Why would you introduce higher stat weapons that will simply murder the difficulty level of the current world mobs? I’d not even touch the issues that will impact the current dungeons. There are just too many existing already.

Why I hate this “Agony” condition?

1. Limiting this condition to only to the Fractal of Mists dungeon funnels the whole playerbase to one area/dungeon leaving the already empty world to its own fate.

Players will be able to acquire Ascended Rings in the Fractals of the Mists dungeon

2. It also marks the begining of the shift in the core of GW franchise philosophy.

The new additions in November are just the start of our item progression initiative. As we introduce the new high-level content, we’ll also roll out complimentary Ascended and Legendary items (to say nothing of the other rewards you can earn by playing the content).

Yeah, more gear to grind to grind more gear! And Mudflation begins..

What probably would have been sufficient for now?

1. Add “Storymode” dungeon content where players could get infused, much like GW1’s infusion mission mechanic, without resorting to grinding new gear.

2. Improve availability rate of the Legendary precursors.

We also have plans to add more fun ways to acquire Legendary precursor items with a more “scavenger hunt” feel than they are acquired currently.

Then… work on to

3. Add more PvP content – formats and maps. GW is a great game not because it had great PvE Storyline or missions or had more mobs to kill. It is a fun game because you can hop in and do any format of PvP that you want without having to dedicate a massive amount of time to enjoy it even when many formats were quite difficult to master.

4. Rethink WvW and make it so that more and more people participate in it without being motivated to complete the World Exploration or to do monthly or to farm BoH by doing jump puzzles while enjoying the content without being killed by invisible enemy zergers.

I did not spend $149 on this game to master the art of out-gearing 99% of the population as fast as I can so that I can grind more gear. I am very disappointed that GW2 has chosen to become another gear grind MMO. Is this WoW 2.0 since there are no Guild Wars in GuildWars 2?

It’s really very disheartening that ANET has decided to yield to the gear grind philosophy of every other MMO.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Posted by: Booning.5476

Booning.5476

jboynton asks: “How does GW2 maintain its position as a revenue driver without that income in future quarters?”

How does aborting the design manifesto – which, arguably, drove those sales in the first place – help raise revenue from a game that has no subscription? Are hardcore players the top consumers of cash shop items? I doubt it. Are hardcore gear-grinders going to produce the same kind of B2P expansion sales (when one comes out) as launch? If ANET alienates everyone who bought GW2 because of that manifesto, and because of the non-grind “whole-world” end game philosophy, what are those expansion sales going to be?

It seems to me we’re witnessing a potential SWG moment here; ANET can alienate everyone who came here specifically because of what GW2 was billed as, promised to be, and for three months now has delivered by changing the core nature of the game. And for what? Players that endlessly run from game to game seeking a means to satiate a never-ending quest for avatar progression/power?

This post cannot be stated enough. This is the crux of the matter.

Wintyre, my new friend, you nailed it. Couldn’t have said it better.

Best post on the subject so far. This is a proper Ratner moment.

Posted by: Cyberman Mastermind.6012

Cyberman Mastermind.6012

but after 2 months they have realized that a mmorpg HAVE to give to the “hardcore” players some to play for.

Well then, why not plainly say so?
(Except for possible investor backlash, of course. Which are more important than actual players…)

So, ANet finally invented the carrot on a stick? how innovative…
PLEASE make this forum more usable. Don’t just warn AFTER the save, write somewhere
how many lines/characters are allowed.

Posted by: Never.6014

Never.6014

I just want them to say something. If a red came here and posted, “Don’t worry, guys, this is just one final tier to smooth out the gear spectrum.” I would stop my concerns there.

Tell Anet’s boss what you think: http://tinyurl.com/arkgzku

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Guys:

Gw1——-> CORPG
Gw2——-> MMORPG

Here goes the “new approach” to the MMORPG genre.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Nimraphel.7819

Nimraphel.7819

Sky asks: The last question in my mind is – will Ascended be the final tier, and this was just a one time correction to a miscalculation… or is Ascended the first of many more to come?

They explicitly stated this is just the beginning of a new “item progression initiative” specifically intended to satisfy hardcore players and establish a new “end game” concept that directly contradicts their design manifesto about the “whole game” being the end game. They think they can kitten down our back and call it rain if they use horizontal paths to hide unique content only hardcore players can keep up with.

New “end game” mechanic Agony will enable you to exclusively farm Agony-specific content. Next – upper tier Agony content, or perhaps Psionic Content, or some other X, Y, Z – specific content that excludes everyone except the most hardcore players from pursuing that content. Meanwhile, where’s the investment of time and resources for the rest of us as ANET tries to keep ahead of the powergamer curve?

Quoted for great truth.

Posted by: Zorander.2360

Zorander.2360

Dont want this new gear grind.

Goodbye and gtfo anet

Posted by: Ultima Thule.3950

Ultima Thule.3950

It’s simple, Either you want Guild Wars 2 to be around as a healthy and profitable game for ANet and NCSoft for the next 3-5 years, or you want outdated mechanics from 2004.

GW1 was launched in 2005.
In the other hand adding the “mechanics” of Everquest (1999) and WoW (2004) it’s very looking forward.

ANet is falling right now in a trap, there are countless game companies out there that were drawn to copy the economic success of wow, by somehow cloning it. All of them fell very short or were complete failures — the market is over saturated in that segment (same offer catering to the same players, and over the years more and more players are burned)It is also well know that that “mechanic” is exploitative of players.

ANet tried a very different and refreshing approach with GW, and worked very well, created their own segment, something that very few other companies can boast — loyal customers, most of them remained loyal to them instead of the habitual game hopping that is the norm in this market.

Obviously they are being more ambitious with GW2, but are choosing the wrong strategy, instead of selling a very strong and differentiated product (which the game was up to this point in time) are converging to become another generic wow clone, with the standard gear grind and gate mechanics included.

They were very adamantly selling a different product, but now when is time to deliver, they deliver something else.

If you go to a car dealer, and agree in purchasing a certain car model, having the seller telling you about its unique features and capabilities — then they cannot go round and deliver a motorcycle instead, once you paid for it.

That is very much what is happening here, it is far more than a change in game mechanics, they are delivering a different product, which is aimed to a different segment in this market. They are going blind to the fact that all the other clones are failures, or if you want, can retain players for a little bit, until the next grind monster comes along, (or the expansion in that other clone) and so on…. While trashing their own market.

If they do tho, others will pick up the niche that was left, the market will cover it. Eventually.

But by then will be too late for ANet.

I for one, hope they are receptive to the community, to their community, not the people that goes jumping for MMO to MMO, just looking for the same stuff. For you folks, there are many wow clones out there, no need to pressure the segment that doesn’t cater to you.

(edited by Ultima Thule.3950)

Posted by: drwookie.6391

drwookie.6391

The problem really started from the very beginning when they changed their character design from GW1. With the hundreds of skills to collect like cards, you had an excellent horizontal progression in GW1.

Now in GW2, you get all skills and trait points very quickly after max level. They have nothing to do but add vertical gear based progression.

From the description it is clear that infusions are a QUANTITATIVE stat (you can have x amount), not qualitative like being ascended was in GW1. The reason for that is clear: it allows them to add more dungeons and content down the line that has a higher level of agony, that you have to counter with a higher level of infusion. Its a mechanic that involves ZERO player skill, and purely player grind. Essentially the exact opposite of what GW1 stood for.

The system, to me, seems EXACTLY like the radiance/dread system that was added to LOTRO in the Mines of Maria expansion. Look it up. It seems almost identical (well except the radiance was already attached to the armor, not added via an enhancement slot). For those who don’t know…the system was hated by the players from its inception, and it took the devs a couple of years to finally admit it was a bad system and get rid of it. I sincerely hope we don’t have to wait the same amount of time for anet to learn from this mistake.

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

As many of the apologists have pointed out, each piece is ‘only’ improving your character by about 18 stat points. Is that enough of a jump to actually sustain the interest of people who are motivated by vertical progression?

If you look at rings on the wiki you’ll see primary stats are always 67 of the attribute and magic find as a primary is listed as 3% (as primary). Thus, 1% in magic find is not equivalent to 1 in any old attribute, it’s equivalent to ~22.3 attribute points on a ring. This formula seems to vary on equipment pieces as you can see differences on runes and armor pieces, but all we have to go on is rings so far, so let’s use those. The ring in the preview had a difference of 3% magic find (or ~67 attribute points) and 10 more stats in the secondary attributes. Thus, it is more than a 18 point difference. Remember primary stats exceed their secondary stats on items that aren’t “of divinity” and magic find was the primary stat on those items. That magic find is listed as a percentage disguises the actual growth you are achieving, which is quite significant.

This of course presumes that there will be other primary stats available than magic find, something I have no trouble believing. It also presumes infusion won’t carry with it some stat gain, something I’m leery of given that there are defensive, offensive, and omni-infusion types. If it’s just to mitigate damage from agony, why different slots?

Posted by: Arthain.1526

Arthain.1526

QQ more ….. jk but seriously…. I had full exotic armor set with exotic weapons 10 hours game time from point i hit 80 with first toon. “Exotics” are way too easy to obtain. Legendary items need huge boost and sweet kitten unobtainable sigils with effects like the crow storm from mad king. The new armor stats are what exotic stats should have been. Another tier is necessary. BOOOOOMSHAKLAKA

Posted by: Zinthros.6589

Zinthros.6589

Please don’t implement gear gimmick gated dungeons.
Please don’t implement new rarity tiers.
Please don’t marginalize the existing dungeons and shrink the endgame from 8 dungeons to 1 by leaving the rewards of the original dungeons in the dust.
Please don’t make the exotics people worked for worthless.
Please scrap agony as a condition — it is a gimmick meant to remove skill from PVE and reward time invested — GW2 was not created as (if you are to be believed) or sold as this kind of NEET-pandering WoWtrash.
Please don’t create a never-ending mindless stat treadmill
Please keep the game based around PLAYER SKILL in all aspects including PVE and WvW instead of who has the most time to grind the same new dungeon 100 times in a week.

Please don’t ruin the game.

Varamyr Langkron / Kirk Vandergrift
Commander on Tarnished Coast [RE]
Greatsword Ranger before it was cool

Posted by: Mr International.3715

Mr International.3715

while i don’t want a gear treadmill or anything getting out of hand, its just not possible to do it through content alone. It takes way longer to make it than it takes for you to play through it

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

Guys:

Gw1——-> CORPG
Gw2——-> MMORPG

Bingo.

Only people with little MMORPG experience, who only knew EQ/WoW clones, can think a gear grind is the only way to make a MMORPG “end game”. Any veteran who played those games since UO or before know WoW only took the easy route, and that there are many more ways to make a good MMORPG.

And this isn’t a sandbox.

If this were a sandbox, you’d have a valid argument, alas, it’s not. It’s not for that type market.

I’d suggest you go give Darkfall : Unholy Wars a try later this month if that’s what you are looking for.

AC1 wasn’t a sandbox yet didn’t have a gear grind either. Your argument doesn’t hold any water, except showing how limited your vision about what a MMORPG can be is.
Don’t limit what is possible to the limits of your own imagination.

I’m not the game designer.

This game has clearly been produced for the WoW era.

Unfortunately, imagination doesn’t pay the bills. If it did, we’d not be having this discussion in the first place, because their horizontal gear model would be working, and thriving.

Obviously, it’s not.

Clearly? Well, according to any promise made before release, along with the manifesto, the game was produced as a kick in the hornet’s nest compared to the stagnating market of (failing) WoW clones.

And about the second part of your post, you are assuming a lot. The game is a smashing success, with huge sales, and nowhere near your “obviously it’s not” assumption.

If this gear inflation really makes it into the game, I’ll be the one laughing at the likes of you, when the game merges servers and reduces content patches to focus on cash shop sales, because all those who believed in the manifesto have left the game.

Mark my words. Keep a link to my post if you want.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Deggon.8152

Deggon.8152

nothing really to say here, looking forward to it and all the changes the patch is bringing, really just wanted to get a post in this epic thread.

Posted by: karma.8763

karma.8763

Gear is only needed in the harder parts of the new dungeon.

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

I think that we’ve been given the worst possible gear example for ascended item – a magic find ring. The thing that everyone is missing is, that power and precision are secondary stats on that item and magic find is primary.
If other ascended items are going to follow that schema then we’re facing:
42% increase in primary stat (going from 7% to 10%) – that is huge
8% increase in secondary stats (going from 48+15 power/precision to 50+18) – that looks OK, but on full gear makes enough difference.

Primary stat on all other rings would go from 92 on exotic to 131 on ascended – and again – that is huge difference. Currently its like upgrading from blue to exotic – that’s 3 tiers difference not 1 and that can’t be right, unless magic find scales a lot better then all other stats or there wont be ascended items other then magic find.

Its not going to work like that.
We can assume the MF is bugged a bit. As noted going from 3+4 to 10 is huge. 43%

First look at the jewel and ring seperately.
Ring goes from 48 to 50. 2 points. or 4%
Jewel goes from 15 to 18. 3 points, or 20%.

So the 8% average is clearly a huge misnomer itself. The jewel is gaining way way more then the ring.
Crit Damage might have the same problem as MF here. as we can see this already.
Look at a ruby jewel vs a coral.
coral has 14 cond, ruby has 3% crit damage.
While a coral ring has like 48 cond, and a ruby ring has 3% crit damage as well.
So which is it? is 3% crit damage worth 14 or 48 cond?

A 90 primary stat will likely then get 4% 3.6 from the 90. and +3 jewel from the ring. and thus 6 or 7 primary stat, and +5 for the 2 secondary.

hrm. 90 would be primary stat of an amulet, not ring.

(edited by Casia.4281)

Posted by: Gingelyr.3648

Gingelyr.3648

Two things to keep in mind:

1) ANet may have found that horizontal progression is expensive, while vertical progression is cheap. It’s easy to take items and slap some extra stat points on them. It’s hard to continuously design cool looking items.
[To which I say: fine, but you better be the absolutely kittenning best in the industry at slapping higher stats on items, because if you want to make that the focus of new content you’ve got a lot of competition]

2) The plans for ascended items were almost certainly started in early September—that’s the kind of turnaround time it takes to get this sort of stuff ready for release. In early September, a lot of people said stupid stuff about this game. The people who were giving feedback on endgame progression in early September were a tiny minority because most people took/are taking longer to hit 80 and fully gear up to exotics.

Posted by: Hunterdan.4921

Hunterdan.4921

Hey guys, what about the new resources we get to harvest? What do you think those will be for?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Lost_Shores

Posted by: Amlin.6041

Amlin.6041

There’s always “controversies” like this happening to every MMO, I’m sure this will blow over like they all did once people see the reality of the mechanics. I just chalk this up to simple knee-jerk reaction on part of gamers.

Posted by: Pino.5209

Pino.5209

Meh, it’s ala wow’s gear treadmill all over again. Sad. I thought this game is supposed to be the odd one out.
Whatever.

Posted by: Token.5098

Token.5098

I suppose we’ll find out how it goes on the release of the update, but a I kind of feel discouraged to get iG as anything I do as a lvl 80 right now seems like a waste of time instead of just waiting for the weekend and grinding the dungeon for the gear.

Posted by: Aaron.4807

Aaron.4807

I think we are witnessing a Titanic moment here and Anet just sailed into the iceberg. They did so by critically misjudging their loyal fan base,

Good bye, Failnet. It was nice knowing you for 3 months.

Wrekks/Wrekts

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

Nothing new to add. Just wanted to be one more voice expressing displeasure. You know, in case they’re counting. I was so happy to hear I could leave pve behind after 80 and just go play WvW (that would be the much touted “Way I Want To Play”tm). Now, the door to gear grind has been opened. Just a bit, but it has been opened. Can WvW get some love?

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Posted by: Never.6014

Never.6014

“Thus Legendaries will remain “best-in-slot” items. All Legendary items going forward will be of Ascended power.”

If Legendary=Ascended, and Legendary=Best in Slot, then Ascended=Best in Slot.

Maybe this is all down to Anet’s really terrible way of communicating information to players.

Tell Anet’s boss what you think: http://tinyurl.com/arkgzku

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Please yes! I’m looking forward to gearing up in ascended =)

I just said the above to contradict the poster ^_^ While i love the idea of dynamic dungeons one of the great things about this game was the many paths you could take to gear your character. You could craft it, save up the gold for it, or put rares into the forge for it. I do however see ascended gear being expensive if it’s possible to make it in the forge due to exotics being needed for it, but grinding for gold for a few days on wherever is optimal at the time to level the playing field in WvW can’t hurt.

Posted by: Valtameri.2075

Valtameri.2075

Oh look another one of these..
How about wait til’ the patch is released and then freak out if necessary.

Posted by: Fiasco.3501

Fiasco.3501

No screw you. Yes, ANet please make this new change and spice thing up. Thank you.

Posted by: Artos.9875

Artos.9875

Well, there goes any money I intended to spend on gems.

The difference between farming for a skin and farming for a stat increase is one is required and the other is not. I do not want to farm PvE content for gear that I need for WvW because it has higher stats. If you want to make PvE specific gear, go for it, but do NOT increase stats above the ones that I can craft.

This game was done so well. Three servers fighting against each other rather than 2 factions, gear progress stopping once you got to 80 and made exotic gear, money actually meaning something…

Now it’s just another WoW clone with an even worse story. Thanks for making me feel like I’ve completely wasted my time up to this point Arenanet. You won’t see another penny from me.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I just want them to say something. If a red came here and posted, “Don’t worry, guys, this is just one final tier to smooth out the gear spectrum.” I would stop my concerns there.

And you would believe them? After all, they have already broke their promises with this one tier – why would you think they won’t do it again, and again, and again?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Eilanzer.7523

Eilanzer.7523

Anet betrayed his own initial philosophy of “no gear grinding”…“High End at lv 1”…“Gear just for the look…Not the power” ¬¬
STOP trying to copy WOW (You will lose there!) and traying to think new ways to please your customers…It´s simple…

-RAID
-Ranked Arena

Just that…It´s simple…And nothing bad can come applying this…

SOR – Eilanzer_Necro_80 – White Raven [WR]

Posted by: Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

while i don’t want a gear treadmill or anything getting out of hand, its just not possible to do it through content alone. It takes way longer to make it than it takes for you to play through it

Then add a desireable goal that is NOT statistically superior gear.

This is not impossible, and honestly, it’s not that hard to think of things that people want other than statistically superior gear. Here are a few:

1. Ability to respec.
2. Ability to swap stats out of combat on one piece of gear.
3. Ability to swap skins on one piece of gear.
4. Guild halls.
5. Gear specific elite skills…like maybe a really rare piece of armor has an elite skill that you can use that is on-par or weaker than the typical class elites.

Magaera Enflanza (F Human D/D Ele)
[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: Xant.3025

Xant.3025

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Remove-higher-stats-for-Ascended-gear/first#post715463

Please go here and voice your support for the idea of ascended armor WITHOUT stat upgrades over exotic gear. It’s important that ANet hears us.

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

Thread Summary: Everyone hates this patch and we feel betrayed that ArenaNet went back on their design principles.

Can we get rid of the Ascended gear now?

Posted by: Xant.3025

Xant.3025

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Remove-higher-stats-for-Ascended-gear/first#post715463

Please go here and voice your support for the idea of ascended armor WITHOUT stat upgrades over exotic gear. It’s important that ANet hears us.

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

You know, I’ve never been quiet this upset over a directional change in an MMO before. I like to think of myself as a rational person but this just feels like a betrayal to the original concept that’s been flogged relentlessly over the last 5 years.

The sad thing is I’m loving this game, I have 3 level 80 none of them have a single epic. I figured all in due time I was in no rush to gear them out because I knew (no I was assured) this game would be different now we have this redirection …. So I think I’m just done with this game, I hate being promised one thing then being kittened over like a chump.

ANet I had nothing but praise for you but I’d like to take it all back at point.

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

The problem really started from the very beginning when they changed their character design from GW1. With the hundreds of skills to collect like cards, you had an excellent horizontal progression in GW1.

Getting your best skills from defeated enemies was also a great element that really merged the deck building and pve game really well. Not sure why they never tried to carry that into GW2 tbh, beyond skillpoints that is.

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

I don’t understand you people. What is the difference of grinding FOR A SKIN vs. grinding for a minimal stat increase? It probably isn’t going to be more than a 1 point stat difference like crafted vs. dungeon. Get over yourselves. You will grind for a legendary for 1 more point stat, but not armour? Oh well, to the cry babies, goodbye and send me your stuff when you rage.

Grind for a stat is nearly mandatory to stay on “top” and competitive ( playing WvW make what i said clear enough. Go duel a lvl80 full exo with a lvl 80 white stuff, you will see if you succeed kill him. Its a 100% gear based fight, unless you have the same stuff to turn the fight in a skill based fight)
Farm for a skin is 100% optional.
So if you are happy with a basic skin and the best stat in the game, you can enjoy every content you want without having to worry about “did my weapons / armor is powerfull enough for this zone / dungeon”

Also, a gear grinding game reflect the poor ability to give a gameplay interesting enough to avoid having to busy h24 the player with a brainless gear farm, and keep him play the game.

Also, if the game ( who promise us to NOT make a gear treadmill like GW1 ) start, even with a small stat increase, after ONLY 3months, how its gonna be in 1years ?
we will have a stuff 50% more powerfull than the actual exotic ? and definitely force player to farm them ?
And in 2years ? 200% more powerfull.. etc etc

Its a bit like :
-all fight barehanded, its fine,
-make aviable a sword, everyone want the sword,
-make aviable a pistol, everyone want the pistol
-make aviable a machinegun, everyone want the machinegun
-make aviable a tank, everyone want the tank..
etc….

And its even worse when you want run a dungeon or anything else who FORCE you to have a tank when you only have a sword.
bascily, you cant enjoy the game anymore if you dont farm to get the tank.

Understand how the gear grinding is terrible ?

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke

(edited by E Tan.7385)

Posted by: warmonkey.8013

warmonkey.8013

No amount of forum rage is going to change that its coming on Friday.

No, but maybe a proper amount of forum rage will make them feel ashamed of what is coming on Friday, and they should be.

Frigi Dair — SoR Necro

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

Legendary weapons aren’t better than exotics if you actually check the stats on the wiki or the numerous other sites.

Also, the fear is that since the ring and back pieces they proposed are better and they have indicated they want to do more of this, a full set of ascended gear could provide a significant stat advantage over exotic gear, thus requiring a grind to get the new stuff. Now, if losing the rune slot and sigil slot on other stuff balances that out, and the infusions only help against certain enemies that’s not a big deal, but we don’t have any of those details yet. In their absence, people are raising their concern that Anet is going back on it’s ideals of not having a gear grind in GW2.

We do have information on that. Ascended weapons already have the upgrade slot built into them, so you still get those bonusses. Infact, the built-in upgrades are also slightly stronger than current upgrades.

The upgrade slot is solely for infusion, which in turn only works on Agony…. no stats bonuses at all. This sets a different precedent that people are overlooking if it is included with armour. No Runes with Ascended gear when it is released, which means no additional rune bonuses. This in turn negates any benefit Ascended armour would presumably have.

Now, this is where people will say how do you know they will do this?

Well, how do you know that they will further increase item stats and add more tiers? It’s all speculation that leads nowhere.

You want to start talking precedents? What about the precedent they started with flooding the markets with butter and chocolate, or changing costs of items since launch? How about the precedent of removing features of WvW (regardless of intentions to prevent hacking, they still have started a precedent). Anything, and everything they do to their game will create some sort of precedent.

Complaining about the “principle” of them changing the game is insanely pointless. Guess what, future content may and likely will raise a level cap. Something they have said before they would consider (I believe it was in an interview) Is everyone going to go up in arms over this?

You’re worried about coming back months down the road and being behind? It’s a dynamic game where changes happen. What on Earth are you going to do in the event the release new races, weapons, skills etc? Won’t you in turn be behind?

Guess what? Players can still faceroll in WvW with Exotics…. I can hold my own pretty decently without having a single Exotic Accessory… all level 80 Rare jewellery. Considering even then, WvW ends up turning into a game of tactics and numbers, individual player stats matter even less.

In the end, Exotics are much more flexible, you can tune your stats to your liking and build. Ascended gear will all be fixed stats, meaning it will insanely hard to tailor that gear to your build. It won’t negate the use of Exotics, and many players would likely stick with what they have already in order to fine tune their play styles.

Besides, don’t items like the Tri-Forge Pendant offer even better stat gains than what the Ascended item they have already shown provide?

+40 Power
+40 Precision
+40 Toughness
+40 Vitality
+5% Critical Damage
+40 Healing Power
+40 Condition Damage

has an upgrade slot to provide even further bonuses. Doesn’t this item alone set it’s own precedent? It’s already a much better item due to singular fact that it single handedly increases ALL stats.

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

First you realize that GW2 isn’t an “endgame” type of MMORPG in the classic sense. Anybody who bought the game should already know that if they have any shred of intellect. Sadly, this is the MMORPG genre and expecting players to have and use brains is asking for entirely too much.

So complaining about lack of endgame crap from typical formula MMORPGs doesn’t make much sense if you have any idea what game you’re playing in the first place.

There is plenty of room for expanding and adding content to GW2, obviouisly. It doesn’t have to involve more tiers of gear.

GW2 was supposed to be about a different mindset. Enjoying playing a game just to play it, to enjoy content, to have fun, without an endless gear carrot treadmill.

Unfortunately, so many people who have no clue ended up playing this game, and want it to be like a formula game, and they whine, as they always do, and apparently ANet is listening to the whiners (which is typical of formula games and something I never expected to see from ANet).

Posted by: nests.6830

nests.6830

Lol people treat this change like a personal attack, just chill