Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

https://d2vn94glaxzkz3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ascended-EN.png

Ruby Orichalcum Ring: +67 Power: +48 Precision: +3% Critcal Damage

The difference is so miniscule that I even wonder if the ruby ring is better altogether while the new ascended ring is good for drops.

You can´t compare 2 different sets of stats, that´s like comparing oranges and apples.

The image itself compares the rings with same stat distributions, and is basicly what made this kittentrom happen.

Also, no matter what the difference is now, it´s a start and step towards something a lot of us don´t want to head towards.

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

Posted by: alanis.6094

alanis.6094

Maybe this is just their way to get people to run the dungeons? I know for a fact 50% of you haven’t done every dungeon.

Maybe that’s because many of us bloody hate dungeons and don’t want to do them.

Well then how do plan on getting the cool looking armor from the dungeon tokens? Oh wait that’s a gear treadmill. Regardless of increased stats are not it’s a treadmill.

So you’re fine either way don’t do the dungeon and keep running around orr everyday.

Obviously, you could get exotic gear that didn’t require you to do dungeons.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>
Since 1994 – undeadlords.net

Posted by: HTXL.2598

HTXL.2598

https://d2vn94glaxzkz3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ascended-EN.png

The difference is so miniscule that I even wonder if the ruby ring is better altogether while the new ascended ring is good for drops.

You can´t compare 2 different sets of stats, that´s like comparing oranges and apples.

The image itself compares the rings with same stat distributions, and is basicly what made this kittentrom happen.

Also, no matter what the difference is now, it´s a start and step towards something a lot of us don´t want to head towards.

Eh?

You guys are worried about damage altogether right? Seems to me, by eyeballing, the one with more dps is the ruby.

Posted by: jboynton.7894

jboynton.7894

While the small group of people are crying on the forums the rest are playing and farming in ORR. Were farming for gear already so this is GREAT NEWS for us. Come see the truth for yourself @ Jade Quarry in ORR.

Yeah, hope you don’t get caught in a bot sweep. I don’t think I want to risk going into Orr right now. But good luck to you, grind on, grind on, oh brave MMO soldier, grind on!

Heh, I don’t personally like doing this but I just logged on to see what is going on and the truth is this is what people are doing. I don’t think they are bots either. My point is these are the players that like progression and there is a whole lot of them busy playing the game and not posting here on the forums.

I also just logged on and stirred the pot in LA and in my guild by starting a discussion about ascended gear. The reaction I got was mostly negative. Just because people are playing doesn’t mean they support this decision.

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

Well, I’ve just had a post infracted for daring to mention that the developers have gone back on their promise. That’s not an accusation, it’s a fact. Though I suppose our concerns regarding the breach of promises outlined in the manifesto and marketing surrounding this game are just going to be brushed aside and/or silenced.

Posted by: Never.6014

Never.6014

We can only hope that this is a one-time course-correction to balance out stat distribution. I was just the other day defending ArenaNet to a friend of mine who was worried about how long they would keep the power plateau. I feel like an idiot.

Tell Anet’s boss what you think: http://tinyurl.com/arkgzku

alanis.6094

Apparently that equals 8%…go figure?

68/63 = 1.079

7.9%

Math is hard.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>

Posted by: bufko.2497

bufko.2497

whoo all the negative auras, seriously those +2 stats on ascended rings vs exotic rings won’t make a HUGE difference. and even if the +2 stats applied to all gear slots which will make 14*2 = +28 stats vs dodge or die (PVE) or zerg vs zerg (WvW) = gamebreaking?
unless we’re talking +20 stats per each gear slot

Again, it’s not just about the stats, it’s about the addition of a “you need X to be able to do Y to get Z” system as well.

Posted by: Dimeschemo.5493

Dimeschemo.5493

money making 101 dugeons grant 26 silver pre path a day every run after that 13 silver if u dont like having no money do dungeons

Strang.8170

Eh?

You guys are worried about damage altogether right? Seems to me, by eyeballing, the one with more dps is the ruby.

No, we´re worried about stats and general power they bring.
That ring is just one item, and it shows there´s difference between exotic and ascended gear.
What makes you think the same doesn´t apply to ruby ring and it´s counterpart ascended one?

Posted by: Freohr.7905

Freohr.7905

Still no official comment, despite over 100 pages of – mostly – negative feedback.
Looks like ArenaNet, having sold out on their principles, are hoping that all this bad feeling will just disappear.

If having a bigger blob means victory then you will blob.
Sun Tzu said that, and I think he knows a little more about fighting than you do, pal.

alanis.6094

whoo all the negative auras, seriously those +2 stats on ascended rings vs exotic rings won’t make a HUGE difference. and even if the +2 stats applied to all gear slots which will make 14*2 = +28 stats vs dodge or die (PVE) or zerg vs zerg (WvW) = gamebreaking?
unless we’re talking +20 stats per each gear slot

Its 5 total stat points for each of the secondary stats, which equals 8%.

The difference in the primary stats for the example we have is 43%.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>

Posted by: Arconon.4857

Arconon.4857

I can’t recall when a game made me so feel so shattered and angry. This game felt like it was crafted perfectly for me, I could get the max stats with ease and the only variable after any of that in any situation, be it pve or pve, was skill.

I will not tolerate any more increase in stats, I’ve had 10 years of this garbage and I signed up for GW2 precisely for the horizontal progression. I will not log on or give you one more cent from my wallet until I see these ascended items vanish. The players that wanted a gear ladder cried very loudly but for the most part they are all gone AND ARE NEVER COMING BACK. Stay true to your design philosophy, remove these kitten items.

If not the only thing I will ascend from is guild wars 2 itself.

Exactly my words!

Posted by: Havana.8625

Havana.8625

You can go for ascended gear whenever you feel like it, and I’m willing to bet sometime, even if it’s in 2 years, you’ll want to progress your character gear wise and think ‘Fk, wasn’t a bad idea after all.’

But by then there will be more ascended and infusions for us to collect. That’s why it’s a treadmill. You must keep running to keep up. This update won’t introduce the only infusions the game will have. There will be others. ANet has said said.

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success.
(Please no gear treadmills, Colin!)

HTXL.2598

68/63 = 1.079

7.9%

Math is hard.

Er. you forgot the crit damage from ruby? pretty obvious stat, i mean it’s right there.

Posted by: camoflaugz.5031

camoflaugz.5031

While the small group of people are crying on the forums the rest are playing and farming in ORR. Were farming for gear already so this is GREAT NEWS for us. Come see the truth for yourself @ Jade Quarry in ORR.

Yeah, hope you don’t get caught in a bot sweep. I don’t think I want to risk going into Orr right now. But good luck to you, grind on, grind on, oh brave MMO soldier, grind on!

Well your server might be different than mine " Jade Quarry" because people are eager for this patch.. There not farming in orr for nothing

Heh, I don’t personally like doing this but I just logged on to see what is going on and the truth is this is what people are doing. I don’t think they are bots either. My point is these are the players that like progression and there is a whole lot of them busy playing the game and not posting here on the forums.

I also just logged on and stirred the pot in LA and in my guild by starting a discussion about ascended gear. The reaction I got was mostly negative. Just because people are playing doesn’t mean they support this decision.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Eh?

Why don’t you compare the ruby ring with the Power/Precision/Crit Damage Ascended ring instead of going on a apples and oranges comparison?

Posted by: Hellstrike.5980

Hellstrike.5980

Change the stats on the ring to…

48 power
48 precision
7% magic find
18 power
18 precision
infusion slot
—-

This is all it would take for 99% of the complaints on this board to vanish. By changing five numbers, I just did a better job at pleasing the community than Linsey Murdock’s entire team, and I don’t even have my bachelor’s yet.

As a loyal Guild Wars player, I implore you – let me keep my current gear and work for things to ADD to my arsenal rather than REPLACE parts of it. If I wanted to constantly work for better gear, I could do it a heck of a lot cheaper in Aion – which I left to try to get AWAY from.

At the end it is still the same. You will still have to replace the ring, because old ring with 3 stats is not the same as the new ring with 6 stats, unless Anet decides to rewrite the coding of all the old items.

My guess is, the main purpose is to introduce the infusion slot and the infusion slot can open a pathway for future dungeon customization without needing to ever increase the stats. Since you will be replacing it, wont it feel better to put in another pink tier with just a marginal stats increase?

Posted by: Lamont.2394

Lamont.2394

with the little time I have chosen to play guild wars 2, because gives the opportunity to play on a par with all with little time available, Ascended Gear & Infusions = farm style lineage 2? no no to the mega farm equip higher, all doungeon become useless? Arah coe Ascalon twilight etc. way to keep them? because arena net has made ??this choice reckless? I hear many complaints about this choice .. sorry for my bad english ..

Posted by: Arolas.5209

Arolas.5209

Agreed. Actually the first word that popped in my mind when I read “new condition blablabla infusion mitigated new condition blablabla” was “ah, radiance…” and it was a horrible idea in lotro. I would like to see how they have implemented it though before I go all doom’n gloomy (I play a necro, it’s pretty doom’n gloomy already :P ).

Arolas, lvl 80 Necromancer
Far Shiverpeaks

HTXL.2598

Eh?

Why don’t you compare the ruby ring with the Power/Precision/Crit Damage Ascended ring instead of going on a apples and oranges comparison?

We don’t even know if there will be that set. You’re speculating. You’re overreacting. All of you. Over what? 10-15 kittening points.

Are you adults? Because you don’t seem like it.

Posted by: Crow.6504

Crow.6504

When i read these comments i dont know whether i should cry or laugh , honestly , most of you complain about people whining , about how Anet is catering to people that didnt play GW1 , yada, yada, yada, yada.
Who the hell cares about GW1 , this is GW2 .
The problem is that most of you who are defending GW1 , complaining about change etc, etc , must really be bored because you waste your time here on the forums , WHINING like babies , the game needs new content and the game needs changes , Anet has seen it and 80 % of the other players who are not posting here have seen it , so if youre not happy , go play GW1.
I really think that its the feeble minded that complain about something that has’nt even been exposed yet , so dont judge , wait and see , kitten how backward can this get!!

Posted by: Artemis Noir.3804

Artemis Noir.3804

I played LOTRO quite regularly.
Yes, I was reminded somewhat of dread and radiance when I saw the information on agony and infusions.

However, I am adopting a ‘wait and see’ attitude on all of it. I have enough stress going on in RL right now without going into hysterics at the possibility of changes in an imaginary world.

Strang.8170

Since you will be replacing it, wont it feel better to put in another pink tier with just a marginal stats increase?

No, because it messes up with whole game rather than that specific dungeon.

alanis.6094

68/63 = 1.079

7.9%

Math is hard.

Er. you forgot the crit damage from ruby? pretty obvious stat, i mean it’s right there.

I’m using the example they posted on the blog. I don’t know why you’d try to compare Berserkers vs Explorers…

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>

Posted by: Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wintyre Fraust.6534

Yeah just to clear up the “hardcore = wants gear treadmill” nonsense: I have over 800 hours into the game. This change is pure garbage.

Personally, I’ve come to equate the term “hardcore” with “gear-grind treadmill”, and not equate it to time invested. I have 440 hrs in the game. That’s 440 hrs of goofing off and having fun and not “grinding” for anything whatsoever. That’s what I call a “casual” playstyle. It’s not about the amount of time; it’s how you spend it.

This change caters to those that want a gear-grind treadmill, which IMO is the essence of what “hardcore” means.

Posted by: SilverShadow.3021

SilverShadow.3021

Wow, Arenanet is deleting posts from this thread – Oo

-
5500 posts in, seems like they’re gonna sit it out.
Just change the ascended stats back to exotic stats and we would be really happy…

Strang.8170

Eh?

We don’t even know if there will be that set. You’re speculating. You’re overreacting. All of you. Over what? 10-15 kittening points.

It´s very likely that there will be, seeing how much they´ve planned on this.

And because we´ve been here before, we´ve seen this done before and we know it hasn´t stopped there before.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

There will be that set. for two reasons :
- They are upgrading existing legendary weapons to ascended quality. Those legendaries will NOT become MF based gear when that happens
- They are not giving us full ascended sets and only giving us a single gear type for it, it would wreak gearing diversity.

Oh and if MF/Power/Precision is the only Ascended stat distribution we’ll get, IT’LL STILL MAKE MY MF/POWER/PREC EXOTIC SET OBSOLETE AND A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY!

HTXL.2598

68/63 = 1.079

7.9%

Math is hard.

I’m using the example they posted on the blog. I don’t know why you’d try to compare Berserkers vs Explorers…

Eh?

Posted by: Erasmus.1624

Erasmus.1624

The people in Orr are:
0. Not liking Risen.
1. Waiting or doing Balthazar for shards.
2. Farming/Harvesting for materials and item drops for money, since you need a stupid amount of it to be considered rich in an economy where gambling and trading post manipulation is encouraged.
2.5 Waiting for DR to wear off.
3. World Completion
4. Doing Trahearne’s Story

Posted by: TonySu.7942

TonySu.7942

Never played GW1. Played and quit many other MMORPG’s because of gear grind. Hopefully it wont be as bad. Because so far its been really good =) Hopefully no more gear grind so I will want to buy more gems =) If its gear grind game then buying gems its a waste of money.

(edited by TonySu.7942)

Posted by: Everglow.2185

Everglow.2185

Just want to say I will not be spending anymore money on this game if this update goes live as is. I’ve bought inventory space as well as skins/dyes, and was looking forward to buying more skins in the future as they’re released. Heck, if they released a wardrobe, I’d buy that immediately. Or if they added any sort of method allowing you to switch between skins without having to have entirely different sets of gear. I have no problem spending money on cosmetics because I was led to believe that the exotics I have now would be the best option for my endgame gear. That’s the entire reason I started playing GW2 and the reason I’ve been following the game for 2 years.

Will I keep playing? Most likely, as I do still enjoy playing alts and WvW. Although, if WvW takes a big enough hit from this, I may very well stop playing.

As others have said, this is a blow to the core player-base, the loyal fans who’ve followed the game for so long. We don’t want new gear to make our current gear outdated, we’ve never wanted this. It’s a major reason we play GW2 and not other MMO’s. The people who want their fancy new stats will just leave again as soon as they get them.

Unless something is done to make current exotics equivalent to the new gear, I will not support the game any longer through the gem store. Give me new cosmetic options, and I will buy those in a heartbeat. But not new and better stats.

The Havok Legion [HL]
#magswag

Posted by: Khaun.4321

Khaun.4321

When i read these comments i dont know whether i should cry or laugh , honestly , most of you complain about people whining , about how Anet is catering to people that didnt play GW1 , yada, yada, yada, yada.
The problem is that most of you who are defending GW1 , complaining about change etc, etc , must really be bored because you waste your time here on the forums , WHINING like babies , the game needs new content and the game needs changes , Anet has seen it and 80 % of the other players who are not posting here have seen it , so if youre not happy , go play GW1.
I really think that its the feeble minded that complain about something that has’nt even been exposed yet , so dont judge , wait and see , kitten how backward can this get!!

And so you are complaining about the people complaining about the people complaining……I salute you sir, you are the bigger man.

Posted by: drwookie.6391

drwookie.6391

Even the biggest doom and gloomers will wait and she…because it doesn’t cost us any money to wait.

I’m just saying…the similarities are clear and honestly quite scary, IMO. Radiance was a bad idea and it took turbine a very very long time to get rid of it, I just hope that isn’t repeated.

Posted by: Fayte.1803

Fayte.1803

This sums up everything nicely, regardless how you “feel” about the changes, they are happening cause Anet is efficient like that, any changes made now would result in content being pushed back and they have a strict schedule to keep, this is probably WHY they didn’t give us much info about the updates, they predicted this type of response, meaning all this whining was a planned variable.

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

As a personal plea, I would urge the moderators to think twice about wielding aggressive moderation tactics in a thread such as this. Tensions are high, though I’m not seeing much to warrant the deletion of many of the posts that are vanishing. I’d also like to point out that someone being blunt in their posts doesn’t necessarily mean they warrant an infraction and/or ban. Not every coats their words in sugar, so please respect that.

jboynton.7894

Eh?

Do you honestly believe that the only ascended ring they’re going to introduce is the Explorer version?

Posted by: Tken.1986

Tken.1986

Ascended gear level, I’m not sure about this. As long as it doesn’t make my exotic gear garbage, I’m fine with it.

What worries me more is the way to obtain it, and the price gonna be on TP. Is it sky high? Do I have to grind gold?

To defend against the new condition agony, we need Infusion. How hard is it gonna be? What’s the cost? several gold?

But the most important thing for me to know is:

Are these new contents meant for both the Casual players and the 24/7 players, or just the 24/7 players?

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

The people in Orr are:
0. Not liking Risen.
1. Waiting or doing Balthazar for shards.
2. Farming/Harvesting for materials and item drops for money, since you need a stupid amount of it to be considered rich in an economy where gambling and trading post manipulation is encouraged.
2.5 Waiting for DR to wear off.
3. World Completion
4. Doing Trahearne’s Story

Well now you’ve made it sound totally boring. Although I admit I get in my gathering and grinding moods and actually enjoy it sometimes.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Posted by: Erasmus.1624

Erasmus.1624

Well, I’ve just had a post infracted for daring to mention that the developers have gone back on their promise. That’s not an accusation, it’s a fact. Though I suppose our concerns regarding the breach of promises outlined in the manifesto and marketing surrounding this game are just going to be brushed aside and/or silenced.

I just had a post infracted for saying that a delivery of cake would get the developers to listen. Weird.

Posted by: Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wintyre Fraust.6534

I needed to tripple-post, I am sorry, but there seems to be a new limit of 5001 characters.
Anyway, I believe everyone should and understand what Wintyre Fraust points to:
it is not very probable that – given how ANet claims their development looks like – this change was motivated by meaningful player feedback AND designed AND developed AND passed ANets extensive Q&A in 3 months.
This all points to a very grim possibility: that it was planned before release, completely against the Manifesto, completely against the marketing claims. It;s a sad thought indeed!

Please do realize that a fix for the Hatchery was postponed for 3 weeks before it made it to live (actually, it still hasn’t).

Unfortunately, it also means that Linsey Murdock and ANET are flat-out lying to us by claiming that this update was engineered due to live game player feedback. What a crock.

This is the first day since pre-launch that I haven’t logged in. How utterly disappointing.

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

I’d just like to take this opportunity to say goodbye to the Guild Wars that I came to love over such a short time.

I’ll continue to log in for a while, probably, it’s not costing me anything. However, I won’t be buying expansions (and I had been planning to do so for the life of the game, for both me and my partner) nor will I buy the character slots and inventory space/costumes I had been planning for holiday presents.

Tiered progression is anathema to what I thought this game was about. The fact that ascended gear ONLY comes from one dungeon is a kick in the face to anyone who thought crafting/karma/WvW were also valid paths to endgame gear.

I thought the WvW orbs being removed/reworked was a positive sign. This thread has more posts in a few days than anything orbs got in weeks, that should cause them to at least re-evaluate Ascended gear (my last game was a cash-shop f2p from china, they introduced gear called Ascended just when I was leaving…..).

tl;dr at least I can be that hipster now who “was there in beta, before they sold out”.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

Posted by: Psykoyul.9147

Psykoyul.9147

Dear Anet,

You sold me this game with the “there will be no stuff race” argument.

please keep your word. Thanks.

A customer.

GM of Soul Reapers [SR] JQ

jboynton.7894

……..any changes made now would result in content being pushed back and they have a strict schedule to keep…..

One thing MMO companies most positively do not have is s strict deadline for anything.

HTXL.2598

Infractions are warranted, especially here and now. I have received one myself.

jboynton,

I expect more gear to come out in the future. I expect gear to get better because ultimately, how boring would it be to have the same gear stats, just different skins, even three months from now.

Let’s be open-minded.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

I don’t think you’ve read too many of the comments judging by your post.
You call people complaining that they bought product advertised as “Having A and definitely not B” only to see that in 3 months B is added “whining babies”? Really? Argument this please.

Wait and see?
Again, I think you haven’t read or understood comments here, because if you did you’d see how many people are pointing out to a single fact: every other MMO out there has vertical gear progression, something they don’t like – exactly what Ascended items are supposed to be – and the fact that GW2 was advertised as not having it was one of the (main) selling factors for them.

Hence, “wait and see” exactly what?
GW2 – the game that was supposed to be different – change into every other MMO when we bought it because it was supposed to be “different”?

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

(edited by cherrie.8907)

Posted by: Keatstwo.1839

Keatstwo.1839

Infractions are warranted, especially here and now. I have received one myself.

jboynton,

I expect more gear to come out in the future. I expect gear to get better because ultimately, how boring would it be to have the same gear stats, just different skins, even three months from now.

Let’s be open-minded.

Worked for 7 years in GW1 without becoming boring.

Posted by: Loosifah.4738

Loosifah.4738

I got infracted for defending ANet and for saying it was nice knowing someone about to leave. Wow

On a side note: If ANet completely turned around and said “We were wrong, we’re not going to introduce this” it would completely make them look weak and like they have no conviction to what they’re doing.

Posted by: Aaron.4807

Aaron.4807

Because of this, all other dungeons are obsolete and will become ghost towns. Way to make all of your content relevant.

Wrekks/Wrekts