Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: vox.5019

vox.5019

well considering the only content that use’s that is some endless dungeon with the entire point to grinde out said gear to make it further into said endless dungeon i don’t really consider that being locked out.

If the only point to the dungeon was to get gear to go further into the dungeon then why play it? That’s not the case, there will be high-end rewards that are not related solely to the dungeon. And to get to them you need to get to the higher levels of the dungeon requiring as much infusion as you can get.

And for the zillionth time, this update only includes backpacks and rings because the rest isn’t ready. When they are done there will be ascended items for every slot. I don’t know why people keep arguing that it’s only backpacks and rings.

This industry just needs to move on. We’ve seen a bunch of “WoW 2.0” attempts, and
who actually wants that? Do we really want to be playing those same game mechanics for
another 5 or 10 years? -Mike O’Brien

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

FACT: It’s a gear treadmill as it requires new gear with new upgrades
FACT: They stated they will add new infusions, which will require a new grind
FACT: Gear treadmill = Gear treadmill. Doesn’t matter if it is vertical or horizontal.
FACT: They said they would not put in a gear treadmill
FACT: They stated they wanted everyone to be able to do all content, which is impossible when you add gated content

FACT: If you don’t like it you can go play Guild Wars 1

How about..
FACT: If you don’t like games without vertical gear progression, you shouldn’t have bought game clearly advertised as not having one and yourself go play something else?
You’d have much more to choose from anyway, since every MMO out there has it.

Instead, everyone who dislikes gear treadmill now ends up in a game with one anyway.

To have a gear treadmill there must be several sets of gear every few months.. There is ONLY going to be ascended rank gear, not multiple sets.! If you would have read what Chris Whiteside said you woudn’t be over-reacting like you are now.

Just stop and learn the facts first before you start typing.

Also if you don’t want to play a game that never changes and always stays the same, then go back to Guild Wars 1.
And wither you like it or not, people have asked for this change. So there are quite a few people happy for it. It’s coming and there isn’t anything you can do about it.

Chris Whiteside.6102:
I’d like to respond to concerns players have raised about ascended items. Please keep in mind that we’re releasing this as one portion of a massive November update that introduces and improves many aspects of challenge, progression, and rewards. With this and upcoming updates, we view ourselves as introducing large amounts of content with supporting systems and features, akin to an expansion pack, building on Guild Wars 2 through a series of live releases. So it’s important for us to be able to add an expansion pack’s worth of progression and rewards to support that content.
Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two. We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.
Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content. PvP will remain unaffected to ensure our intended PvP balance going forward. We are also working on other reward and progression systems for the game that tie into current and new content and features. As you know we care very much about your support and opinion and are listening intently to what you say.
Finally we look forward to hearing your thoughts on the upcoming content, and we will ensure we share our thoughts with you on the experiences we share in the Lost Shores.
Chris Whiteside – Studio Design Director

Posted by: TRON.1085

TRON.1085

There sacrificing there original guild wars fan base for profit to cater to the ex wow type players who want this crap and have been whining about end game for weeks, they know its a market of millions and now they have gone against there entire design philosophy, there promises and there own reputation just for players that want a little more power and a gear treadmill like other mmo’s…..these players that will jump ship to the next game the second they finish rushing through content to whine again how there is nothing to do and no end game……

Anet are making the biggest mistake they could possibly make and its going to cost them alot, sure they may make some profit out of this bringing in more traditional mmo type players, but those players will leave in a few weeks when they complete Ascended armor and all the other players they lied to and kitten** over with this will be gone or have a very bitter taste in there mouth, spending alot less in the gem store.

This is what they should have done and this is what they would have done if it wasn’t for the whining content rushing I want world of warcraft 2 cry babies…..

“just bring ascended down to exotics, in stats, and have infussion be a gem, rune and sigil. Then we can equip it on our exotic, and people who want the new look of ascended can still aim for that gear.
That adds new gear for people, without it being a gear treadmill. So basically staying true to what GW2 should be like. It is a pity we have to now grind to get the next level of armour. I feel like my hard work to get exotics was for nothing.
Please Anet, remove the stats from your ascended gear and let is upgrade exotics with infussion.”

Anet lied, they have gone against there own design philosophy, players took that information and invested into backpacks and exotic sets of armor and weapons and jewelery which could add up to an invested 10,000’s of gold wasted by hundreds of thousands of players….because they were lied to by arena net.

Then now it will cause gated content aswell. Another lie.

This is against everything they told us and exotics will become worthless.

Players have every right to be upset, players who want a little more power and gear grinding world of war craft 2 style are ruining the game for others because there whining for weeks now about no end game and nothing to do….

These players that will jump ship to another game anytime…

There sacrificing there true fan base to make a quick buck with traditional mmo players who dont even like the guild wars 2 design philosophy in the first place. This is going to cost them big time in the long run.

Posted by: Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wintyre Fraust.6534

Nobody is telling you that you need to have these new armors in order to be able even survive the new content. .

Yes, they are. Quote from Linsey Murdock at the GW2 blog:

“Players who wish to delve deep into the Fractals will find that Agony makes progress increasingly difficult, until they reach the point where some defense against this condition is a must.”

Posted by: Rejam.3946

Rejam.3946

Ascended gear goes hand in hand with the artificial gating of Agony. The slow release of ascended gear has little to do with making it easier on the players to obtain. It has a lot more to do with gating the deeper levels of FotM.

With no ascended gear we can do level 1, with back and ring, we can do level 2, when they add the next ascended we can get to level 3 and so on. They are controlling how far we can get in the dungeon with a passive stat held to ransom on ascended gear.

That is also the reason they couldn’t just add the new slots to exotics. They wouldn’t be able to control how much agony resist we could get.

We will have to see the mechanics of the dungeon before we can say no skill is required but this system certainly makes sure that no matter how good you are, you will not be progressing faster than anet wants.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

I own the original game and have played it since 05 and have all the expansions for it . If they are adding an agonizing touch type damage to where you needed the armor upgrade,then I don`t know what to tell you. I didn`t see anything in the post mentioed about they were adding new effects that only this armor could counter.

Here it is:

Lindsay Murdock:

In the upcoming Fractals of the Mists dungeon, we’ll introduce a new monster condition called Agony.
This extremely dangerous condition ticks percentages of player health away and can’t be cleansed by normal means. Players who wish to delve deep into the Fractals will find that Agony makes progress increasingly difficult, until they reach the point where some defense against this condition is a must. The only way to mitigate Agony damage is by building up resistance through Infusions, a new type of upgrade component that can be acquired in the Mystic Forge.

And guess what? Contrarily to GW1, where any max level armor could be infused, here only ascended armor has infusion slots….

Posted by: Ridley.3691

Ridley.3691

well considering the only content that use’s that is some endless dungeon with the entire point to grinde out said gear to make it further into said endless dungeon i don’t really consider that being locked out.

If the only point to the dungeon was to get gear to go further into the dungeon then why play it? That’s not the case, there will be high-end rewards that are not related solely to the dungeon. And to get to them you need to get to the higher levels of the dungeon requiring as much infusion as you can get.

And for the zillionth time, this update only includes backpacks and rings because the rest isn’t ready. When they are done there will be ascended items for every slot. I don’t know why people keep arguing that it’s only backpacks and rings.

Vox, again you make things up to reinforce your paranoid whining. -Nowhere- has it stated that the rewards you’ll get deep in the dungeon will be unrelated to the dungeon, it makes more sense if anything to assume the bigger pieces of gear (chestpiece, weapons) will be at the bottom. The point of this will mean the dungeon will be slightly easier to recomplete, same reason in WoW the last boss of a raid drops high level gear.

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

i’m not a fan of this idea.

mainly because it’s doing what wow did – forming a nice divide between gamers and promoting more gearscore-style stats. it’s the first step toward making half the game unplayable to half your playerbase again.

i’ve never felt a gear chase defines difficulty, or should define difficulty. the actual boss and dungeon mechanics should define that difficulty. not a treadmill. gw2 always seemed to push that idea that it should be fun and an activity everyone can participate in without having to succumb to the whole wow-raider mentality.

sure, it’s only one dungeon.

now.

tomorrow? the world.

i’m not raging, or particularly emotional about it. but i do think it’s kind of sad, actually. i’d always hoped gw2 would be that game which kept the idea of fun so that my wife and i might manage to “see” more of this game than we have many other mmos which locked us out of content thanks to not enjoying the whole raider-guild scene. to feel gw2 is slowly trying to mould itself into that format is disappointing.

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

Didn’t players read the clarification by the dev in the previous page that it’s to help in the game progression and not going to be a gear treadmill? Which means in every big updates, there’s going to be something that help in progression mechanic. Their goal isn’t gear treadmill.

Example:
Nov – Gear progression
Feb – Guild Housing progression
May – Personal House/Furniture progression
Aug – Mount progression
Oct – XXXXXX progression
There’s no gear treadmill.

Their intention is not going to be like traditional mmo when there’s a better tier gear every 3 months. This nov, it’s more of a big update that helps to remedy the gear progression part of the whole progression element in mmo where everyone reaches the wall and left with nothing to do. I don’t know why people assume that it’s going to be a gear staircase when they see a plank. Guild Wars 2 “staircase” is going to be different. Have faith in them.

Imo, progression is important. Without progressions, players will only start to login when there’s an event like halloween and christmas. How frequent is that? Once a month. You can only see players log in for 3-7 days every 30 days. It’s a waste of a good game. Maybe it’s good for casual inactive players but not for dedicated ones. There must be something that let players feel like doing X/Y/Z each day. Anet made the right decision on this.

(edited by Naoko.7096)

Posted by: Kangee.7890

Kangee.7890

I’m not fan of this idea. Not because it’s bad, but because it is not necessary. They could have added ascended pieces with the imbution slot and same stats as old armor.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

You all are bunch of ingrates.. You scream for challenging content then you complain about it.. Nope I will no be going back to gw1. I like the new content. If you don’t then you go back to gw1. There is nothing wrong where this game is going. Who are you to say you have a say so where it goes in the first place. You aren’t entitled to do that. You know they could be just like any other gaming company and not give you any new content at all except when they make new expansion packs.. Stop your freakin complaining… cry babies…

You can add new content without breaking what you promised: that exotics would be the most powerful gear in the game and there would be better looking items (legendaries) but not stronger items.

Why do you imply that adding new content requires necessarily to go against your own stated philosophy that attracted lots of customers?

If someone says one thing to me and then does another, you can bet I’ll make myself heard. If that makes me a crybaby, then I’m one and proud to be.

yeah most people don’t have a problem with gear progression what most people don’t like and what drawls them to this game is the fact that it doesn’t lock you out of content

i mean hell you can do your first explorable at level 35 but i will be kitten if its not more optimal to do it at level 80 with the best gear you can get.

MrLee.6892

There sacrificing there original guild wars fan base for profit to cater to the ex wow type players who want this crap and have been whining about end game for weeks, they know its a market of millions and now they have gone against there entire design philosophy, there promises and there own reputation just for players that want a little more power and a gear treadmill like other mmo’s…..these players that will jump ship to the next game the second they finish rushing through content to whine again how there is nothing to do and no end game……

Anet are making the biggest mistake they could possibly make and its going to cost them alot, sure they may make some profit out of this bringing in more traditional mmo type players, but those players will leave in a few weeks when they complete Ascended armor and all the other players they lied to and kitten** over with this will be gone or have a very bitter taste in there mouth, spending alot less in the gem store.

This is what they should have done and this is what they would have done if it wasn’t for the whining content rushing I want world of warcraft 2 cry babies…..

“just bring ascended down to exotics, in stats, and have infussion be a gem, rune and sigil. Then we can equip it on our exotic, and people who want the new look of ascended can still aim for that gear.
That adds new gear for people, without it being a gear treadmill. So basically staying true to what GW2 should be like. It is a pity we have to now grind to get the next level of armour. I feel like my hard work to get exotics was for nothing.
Please Anet, remove the stats from your ascended gear and let is upgrade exotics with infussion.”

Anet lied, they have gone against there own design philosophy, players took that information and invested into backpacks and exotic sets of armor and weapons and jewelery which could add up to an invested 10,000’s of gold wasted by hundreds of thousands of players….because they were lied to by arena net.

Then now it will cause gated content aswell. Another lie.

This is against everything they told us and exotics will become worthless.

Players have every right to be upset, players who want a little more power and gear grinding world of war craft 2 style are ruining the game for others because there whining for weeks now about no end game and nothing to do….

These players that will jump ship to another game anytime…

There sacrificing there true fan base to make a quick buck with traditional mmo players who dont even like the guild wars 2 design philosophy in the first place. This is going to cost them big time in the long run.

I know quite a few friends who have played Guild Wars 1 and are quite happy with this change. After all this is Guild Wars 2 not GW1. If they want that type of gameplay all they would do is go back go GW1.

You opinion is they are making the biggest mistake, our opinion is that they are making a great decision, going forward and changing with the times. They are adapting maybe you should too.

So before you go rudely opening your mouth and thinking it’s just “ex-wow players”, well it’s not.

Just because you don’t agree with something doesn’t give you the right to be a jerk and put people down.

Posted by: Arsenica.2105

Arsenica.2105

ok,now this is freaking me out, ok, we make an update and we add new gear, im like..ok
but hey, lets add new conditions(agony) and im like….WTF??!!! that is a core problem you should have thought of that sooner.
and the thing is, i just finished farming my CM armor, which took me a lot of time neeedless to say, and now i realise it has been all for nothing because even if the stats are great and assuming ascended is not all that op over exotic, ima die to agony condition because normal exotic gear cannot mitigate it. kitten!!!!
anet, you have screwed it all

Posted by: veritech.1048

veritech.1048

FACT: Gear treadmill = Gear treadmill. Doesn’t matter if it is vertical or horizontal.
FACT: They stated they wanted everyone to be able to do all content, which is impossible when you add gated content

How about..
FACT: If you don’t like games without vertical gear progression, you shouldn’t have bought game clearly advertised as not having one and yourself go play something else?

Instead, everyone who dislikes gear treadmill now ends up in a game with one anyway.

To have a gear treadmill there must be several sets of gear every few months.. There is ONLY going to be ascended rank gear, not multiple sets.! If you would have read what Chris Whiteside said you woudn’t be over-reacting like you are now.

Also if you don’t want to play a game that never changes and always stays the same, then go back to Guild Wars 1.
And wither you like it or not, people have asked for this change. So there are quite a few people happy for it. It’s coming and there isn’t anything you can do about it.

Chris Whiteside.6102:
I’d like to respond to concerns players have raised about ascended items. Please keep in mind that we’re releasing this as one portion of a massive November update that introduces and improves many aspects of challenge, progression, and rewards. With this and upcoming updates, we view ourselves as introducing large amounts of content with supporting systems and features, akin to an expansion pack, building on Guild Wars 2 through a series of live releases. So it’s important for us to be able to add an expansion pack’s worth of progression and rewards to support that content.
Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two. We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.
Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content. PvP will remain unaffected to ensure our intended PvP balance going forward. We are also working on other reward and progression systems for the game that tie into current and new content and features. As you know we care very much about your support and opinion and are listening intently to what you say.
Finally we look forward to hearing your thoughts on the upcoming content, and we will ensure we share our thoughts with you on the experiences we share in the Lost Shores.

And tell me why should we believe them after they already lied to us?

And there is no way of spinning this to be anything than what it is, an outright lie to the playerbase.

Posted by: Agrik.7465

Agrik.7465

And now people are asking to change this change. We are asking them not to do it, that’s what we are doing about it. You think people can ask for it but we cannot ask not to have it???

I am officially asking, do away with ascended armour (or at least reduce it stats in line with exotics). Reasons why I do not want it can be found in other posts both by myself, and others.

Posted by: Sennar.2309

Sennar.2309

Chris Whiteside:
We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

What change if you introduce a slow gear progression or a fast gear progression update to the game when the Guild Wars Phylosophy was against this kitten?Please wrote the thruth, you wanna only steal more people to WoW and don’t care more about your player base from Gw1.Thanks, i’m all the collector of Gw1 and also for Gw2, now i decide to left this game cause is another copy/paste mmo.
Thanks also to all WoW player that contribute to spam on forum for Mount and Raids.Thanks, you contribute to ruin this game.
P.S. Delete the Mmo manifesto video, cause is a trash now.All the promise now is expired.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien

(edited by Sennar.2309)

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

I don’t know why you people are so up in arms about over this new gear.. It really doesn’t matter.. The Mursaat’s were a being in gw1. Although they haven’t reared their ugly head in gw2 yet, but then again Elona and Cantha hasn’t been opened up.. Since they are a GW1 being and in the gw1 lore and history for gw2. They could easily find their way back into the game which means you would have to have your freakin armor INFUSED ANYWAY. Stop complaining. They had this Spectral Agony ability which will kill you. With infused armor you stood a chance fighting them. It is the same ability as Agony is. So get over it. The ability was in GW1 and in the lore and now it is part of GW2’s history and it’s coming back. Nothing new for me…Ungrateful cry babies..

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wintyre Fraust.6534

MrLee said: “To have a gear treadmill there must be several sets of gear every few months.. There is ONLY going to be ascended rank gear, not multiple sets.! If you would have read what Chris Whiteside said you woudn’t be over-reacting like you are now..

Please read what Linsey Murdock said in her blog. This is not a one-time addition of a single new kind of armor; this is the very first part of their “item progression initiative” which is supposed to address “the basic need for players to feel like they are progressing and growing even after hitting max level”.

Obviously, if one believes that it is a “basic need”, it’s not going to be resolved by adding one set of increased-stat gear three months into the game. What happens after players with this “basic need” get that set and max it out? You either have to increase that set’s max parameter, or you have to introduce a new set.

Again, read what Linsey said: “The new additions in November are just the start of our item progression initiative.”

Posted by: Caran.3217

Caran.3217

I’m not fan of this idea. Not because it’s bad, but because it is not necessary. They could have added ascended pieces with the imbution slot and same stats as old armor.

They could have added a new slot to existing gear to slot ascended gems into it, so you could upgrade your ‘ascended rating whatever’ in time as you progressed – simple as that.

They trashed a lot of time and effort their players spent into acquiring their current exotic gear.

MrLee.6892

ok,now this is freaking me out, ok, we make an update and we add new gear, im like..ok
but hey, lets add new conditions(agony) and im like….WTF??!!! that is a core problem you should have thought of that sooner.
and the thing is, i just finished farming my CM armor, which took me a lot of time neeedless to say, and now i realise it has been all for nothing because even if the stats are great and assuming ascended is not all that op over exotic, ima die to agony condition because normal exotic gear cannot mitigate it. kitten!!!!

You really need to read the blog post on the front page…..
It’s not all dungeons it’s one dungeon that will have agony to start with.

And it’s posts like this why people over-react to something that isn’t 1/2 as bad as you make it sound. Sorry to pick on you here but there have been so many DOOM posts about this it’s just silly!

Posted by: Swoo.5079

Swoo.5079

Has anyone considered how best to stage a protest? We can’t picket their offices like with politics, since we’re a global group. They are pretty much ignoring player feedback on the forums (the PR-spin answers that try to dodge the issue do not count as honest consideration). So what to do?

I have a proposal: during the release of the new content, we all go back to playing GW1.

Just leaving the game is a statistic they can’t distinguish from the locusts moving on.
Playing GW1 makes it clear that their core player base isn’t happy with the new GW2 direction and wants the GW1 system back.

Probably it would be too hard to organize enough people to do this, though.

Well I’m stopping buying gems with money.
Other option for protests could be:
- Not giving the RAF codes;
- Mass logging at pre-determined hours in a major town (like Divinity’s Reach) shouting something like “new gear tiers? no thank you!”.

Ascended items are Anet biggest mistake and a kneejerk reaction.

Posted by: BadHealer.3608

BadHealer.3608

Stop complaining. They had this Spectral Agony ability which will kill you. With infused armor you stood a chance fighting them. It is the same ability as Agony is. So get over it. The ability was in GW1 and in the lore and now it is part of GW2’s history and it’s coming back. Nothing new for me…Ungrateful cry babies..

You are kidding, aren’t you? You can’t infuse your old armor and the new armor will be better – and still you don’t see any different between the way it had been handled in GW1 and GW2?

Posted by: Miichan.8759

Miichan.8759

map channel:
<strong> LF4M FOTM EXP, full acended gear. </strong>

skinner box! Here we go!

Posted by: kistell.5684

kistell.5684

Didn’t players read the clarification by the dev in the previous page that it’s to help in the game progression and not going to be a gear treadmill? Which means in every big updates, there’s going to be something that help in progression mechanic.
Their goal isn’t gear treadmill.

“We have always worked hard to create a sense of satisfying progression rather than gear grind and this new item progression initiative is no exception.”

So whats the difference between gear grind and Item progression?

Apart from the wording nothing, you still need to grind what ever mats you need for Infusion crystals in the mystic portal to take part in higher level content or your essentially locked out.

Future content new dungeons etc new damage mechanics like (agony) , more treadmill for infusions.

Infusion progression / gear grind = same thing (you still need to re-slot every piece of Armour or get new sets)

vox.5019

Vox, again you make things up to reinforce your paranoid whining. -Nowhere- has it stated that the rewards you’ll get deep in the dungeon will be unrelated to the dungeon, it makes more sense if anything to assume the bigger pieces of gear (chestpiece, weapons) will be at the bottom. The point of this will mean the dungeon will be slightly easier to recomplete, same reason in WoW the last boss of a raid drops high level gear.

“As we introduce the new high-level content, we’ll also roll out complimentary Ascended and Legendary items (to say nothing of the other rewards you can earn by playing the content).”

If you’re not willing to actually read the post then why are you arguing against those of us that have.

This industry just needs to move on. We’ve seen a bunch of “WoW 2.0” attempts, and
who actually wants that? Do we really want to be playing those same game mechanics for

Posted by: Sennar.2309

Sennar.2309

I don’t know why you people are so up in arms about over this new gear.. It really doesn’t matter.. The Mursaat’s were a being in gw1. Although they haven’t reared their ugly head in gw2 yet, but then again Elona and Cantha hasn’t been opened up.. Since they are a GW1 being and in the gw1 lore and history for gw2. They could easily find their way back into the game which means you would have to have your freakin armor INFUSED ANYWAY. Stop complaining. They had this Spectral Agony ability which will kill you. With infused armor you stood a chance fighting them. It is the same ability as Agony is. So get over it. The ability was in GW1 and in the lore and now it is part of GW2’s history and it’s coming back. Nothing new for me…Ungrateful cry babies..

In gw1 you infuse only the armor not go in dungeon to obtains items for infuse.

-Mike Obrien

MrLee.6892

How about..

Chris Whiteside.6102:

And there is no way of spinning this to be anything than what it is, an outright lie to the playerbase.

You didn’t get lied too just stop it.

ArenaNet is a business, then made a decision that they think bests suits them for the game. company and the players.
Ya we get it, you don’t agree with their decision so your going to shout, yell, stomp your feet until you get “heard”.
Pretty much the same thing as my 10 year old daughter would do.

Posted by: Egger.2935

Egger.2935

First post here and my personal perspective as a customer and my two cents:

I bought the game, for reasons which were promised to me! That the game would be different etc. pp…
Reasons, which reflect the company’s philosophy and which were even written down in a manifesto!
This manifesto etc. has often been called and quoted here.

I stopped playing, because I was “shocked” by this news on monday and even more shocked from the official blog. I will not take part on the one-time weekend. I will just log in and check the changes and how it looks to me and then decide for myself if I am going to play Guild Wars 2 any longer.

But I clearly say this:
No items with better stat! No item treadmill!

And if this will go live in this way:
I was lied to and betrayed as a customer!
And this even for a long time! Any development needs his (pre)-time!
So, it is a clear lie!
And the company has definitely lost a customer!
This is not my game any more, I have bought and signed in for!
This is not fun to me any more!

I do not belive ArenaNet any more!

It is your product, your game, so you can do what ever you think but lying for sells is not an option! It is not my game any more!
Do what you want (in the future) – but without me!

I am deeply disappointed and angry!

vox.5019

Agony is just the first thing that needs to be infused against. With new dungeons will come new infusions. It’s still a treadmill it’s only been abstracted a tiny bit so some people won’t see it.

Swoo.5079

How about..

Chris Whiteside.6102:

ArenaNet is a business, then made a decision that they think bests suits them for the game. company and the players.
Ya we get it, you don’t agree with their decision so your going to shout, yell, stomp your feet until you get “heard”.

No, we also have wallets.
And them can remain closed.

And word of mouth can be negative instead of positive

MrLee.6892

And now people are asking to change this change. We are asking them not to do it, that’s what we are doing about it. You think people can ask for it but we cannot ask not to have it???

I am officially asking, do away with ascended armour (or at least reduce it stats in line with exotics). Reasons why I do not want it can be found in other posts both by myself, and others.

Hey thats fine! I am not disagreeing with you there atl all. But 1/2 of these people are acting like self-entitled spooiled brats about it.

What you posted was the adult way to let the know that you are not pleased with these changes. My hats off to you sir!

But for this patch, the Lost Islands, they won’t be changing anything and they will stick to their guns like they always have done. Ascended gear isn’t going away. But next time maybe they will have a very minor change in stats?? Who knows!

But they are not going to cancel it or change it. That much money spent on development isn’t something they can just stop.

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

I own the original game and have played it since 05 and have all the expansions for it . If they are adding an agonizing touch type damage to where you needed the armor upgrade,then I don`t know what to tell you. I didn`t see anything in the post mentioed about they were adding new effects that only this armor could counter.

Here it is:

Lindsay Murdock:

In the upcoming Fractals of the Mists dungeon, we’ll introduce a new monster condition called Agony.
This extremely dangerous condition ticks percentages of player health away and can’t be cleansed by normal means. Players who wish to delve deep into the Fractals will find that Agony makes progress increasingly difficult, until they reach the point where some defense against this condition is a must. The only way to mitigate Agony damage is by building up resistance through Infusions, a new type of upgrade component that can be acquired in the Mystic Forge.

And guess what? Contrarily to GW1, where any max level armor could be infused, here only ascended armor has infusion slots….

Well that don`t seem so bad. You would have your infused armor set in your bags for when you do these dungeons then. Sounds pretty cool to me actually. This is something they could take in a bunch of interesting different directions if they really wanted to. I can`t wait to see how it works out.

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

How about..

Chris Whiteside.6102:

Maybe it can suite best for company, but read the forum, and you can understand that is not what the players desire.

and in a business, change a statement that make your success in past, is equal to lost credibility to all your loyal customers.
It can work, but only if you plan to work for a short time.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

(edited by Ganzo.5079)

Urxx.6840

I know quite a few friends who have played Guild Wars 1 and are quite happy with this change. After all this is Guild Wars 2 not GW1. If they want that type of gameplay all they would do is go back go GW1.

You opinion is they are making the biggest mistake, our opinion is that they are making a great decision, going forward and changing with the times. They are adapting maybe you should too.

So before you go rudely opening your mouth and thinking it’s just “ex-wow players”, well it’s not.

Just because you don’t agree with something doesn’t give you the right to be a jerk and put people down.

It’s not about how many people like or dislike the new system. I could tell you I know a lot of pople from GW1 who arent’t happy at all about ascended gear, and none of us would prove anything.

The point is: if you as a company say your product has a feature, and then, after you have attracted a certain customer demographic based on that feature, you change things up, then it’s difficult to trust you as a company going forward.

Liking or disliking the idea of ascended gear is subjective, and all opinions deserve equal respect.

But the fact they said one thing and did another AFTER having taken our money is objective. The fact you don’t have a problem with that, doesn’t mean that that certain customer demographic hasn’t a clear right to be vocal about feeling betrayed.

MrLee.6892

How about..

Chris Whiteside.6102:

NO BS, but I know of 10 people who quit GW2 because of being bored at 80 in the last 2-3 weeks. They have been watching info about The Lost Island patch and when they found out that there was going to be some kind of gear progression and a new dungeon, they will be coming back to check it out on the 15th.

So their wallets are going to open back up, just because of gear progression. And if they like it more will come.

Posted by: Ray.6149

Ray.6149

I’m with you!
Please, ArenaNet, give us horizontal progression you promised!

Cavalieri Del Destino [CDD] – Piken Square
www.cavalierideldestino.com

vox.5019

Well that don`t seem so bad. You would have your infused armor set in your bags for when you do these dungeons then. Sounds pretty cool to me actually. This is something they could take in a bunch of interesting different directions if they really wanted to. I can`t wait to see how it works out.

And when they release a new “Agony” that requires a different infusion, you will need to grind another set. And then when they release another…

Posted by: Ditton.3149

Ditton.3149

i think the big issue is most Gw1 players really want Gw1-2…and Anet wants more of the pie than you guys alone can give them. I still dont think they lied, I think they want so hard to stay with their manifesto, they just have locked themselves into a corner mentally somehow and think they need to have another tier of gear out there and make legendaries something more people will go after.

Posted by: Caran.3217

Caran.3217

You really need to read the blog post on the front page…..
It’s not all dungeons it’s one dungeon that will have agony to start with.

And it’s posts like this why people over-react to something that isn’t 1/2 as bad as you make it sound. Sorry to pick on you here but there have been so many DOOM posts about this it’s just silly!

You need to read a lot of the good posts in this thread and try to understand why gating content is a bad idea.
I have the impression that those that are very upset DO understand very well how this is detrimental to the game.

UnderdogSMO.9428

Agony is just the first thing that needs to be infused against. With new dungeons will come new infusions. It’s still a treadmill it’s only been abstracted a tiny bit so some people won’t see it.

stop makeing kitten up

veritech.1048

How about..

Chris Whiteside.6102:

NO BS, but I know of 10 people who quit GW2 because of being bored at 80 in the last 2-3 weeks. They have been watching info about The Lost Island patch and when they found out that there was going to be some kind of gear progression and a new dungeon, they will be coming back to check it out on the 15th.

So their wallets are going to open back up, just because of gear progression. And if they like it more will come.

And if that’s the direction Anet wants to move in when they promised there would be no gear progression, that’s fine.

But they can move in that direction without my money or support.

Swoo.5079

How about..

Chris Whiteside.6102:

So actually you are saying shouting does work.

So it is a question of seeing or hearing who shouts louder.

Pissing off players that are currently playing vs catering to player that leave once they reach max stats and which return isn’t guaranteed at all.

Hmm, how many tiers will Anet have to add to keep that kind of people playing?
Seems wise.

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

And when they release a new “Agony” that requires a different infusion, you will need to grind another set. And then when they release another…

That actually raises the question whether infusion can be replaced the same way as runes or not.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: exphryl.3857

exphryl.3857

So there is fancy new armor with “better” stats where I can’t use my Runes that I typically used over stats anyway?

I have to grind this armor in the dungeon where the armor is needed and will be there anyway?

I’m failing to see what all the fuss is about.

Urxx.6840

Why would you use an exotic armor after you have acquired an ascended armor anyway? It counters agony and has slightly higher stats, so no point in taking 6 inventory slots for carrying around an inferior exotic set.

Posted by: Stefanos.1673

Stefanos.1673

I would also like to point out another issue created through the ascended gear implementation:
I had decided to create the Vision of the Mists Greatsword as it is one of the best looking greatswords I have seen in every game I have played so far (both MMOs and non). However, after the introduction of Ascended Greatswords later on, all the effort I am going to put to create it is going to be in vein. One might say that I will still have the skin. However, I still want to say that after the implementation of the ascended gear, ArenaNet itself won’t encourage the enjoyment of skin collecting. Not to mention that the endless effort to obtain the new ascended gear is not going to allow me to invest as much time as I want in creating the Vision of the Mists weapon. Whatever this game created might as well be destroyed overnight.

Posted by: Reklov Nesalk.5274

Reklov Nesalk.5274

I really liked GW1 especially because of the fast leveling (24 hours of play if you knew the quests), hard capped gear, very nice armor and weapon skins, the tactical teamplay, skill variety and so on…

I was really disappointed by GW2 because it took all things from GW1 and tossed ‘em away. However, it was the best MMO there is, it did things differently. That was why I continued playing, even though I hate leveling. I’d rather be 80 from the start, get my max statted equipment and then get out into the world and have fun! I clinched to the hope that someday I would be level 80 and have my max statted equipment to start having fun and practise my own skill.

This new announcement is a slap in the face with a spiked mace. I don’t want to lose Guild Wars as a possibility to feel a bit like in the good old times and to spend time with friends online. But if all our nightmares come true, there’s only one way to go, not to play anymore.

veritech.1048

stop makeing kitten up

He’s actually directly referencing the item progression agenda that Ms. Linsey stated.

Posted by: Shilian.5873

Shilian.5873

Why are you complaining?
you should be exited, it’s new content kitten what’s the problem?

People talking about lies and stuff, wtf guys not even on Big Bang Theory

Personally i am looking forward to new challenges.

UnderdogSMO.9428

I know most of my guild is happy about this, we even have a bunch comeing back