Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Caran.3217

Caran.3217

I don’t like the idea of new item tiers.

I get that anet wantd to bridge the gap between exotic and legendary but that assumes I play gw2 because I want a legendary. What I do want is my character to be complete, in other words end game armor and weapons. Now the goal posts have shifted

At the same time I have plenty of gold so hopefully I can just buy the lame pink gear of the tp at some point. Hopefully anet can come up with more original ideas to keep people playing.

WHAT GAP?

Seriously, there is no GAP. The gap is going to be introduced yet!

Why is this so hard to understand? Why don’t you inform yourself – you caught on their spin and you start arguing with that spin.

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

Cause I spent 100 gold on the cultural set and transmuted it onto my exotic set. I don`t have the heart to destroy it.

That’s exatcly why this whole ascended thing is wrong.

I don`t think it`s wrong or bad. I think the game needs a drastic change like this to keep people motivated and wanting to play. I haven`t played for over a month and am looking forward for a reason to login. What else was there to do? Save queensdale from centaurs for the millionth time? Or run AC again for tokens I don`t need for anything? I`ll still have my cultural skins that I can transmute over the new armor if I can find a tailored set for the stats I want. But I would rather grind for a new set I need to do special content then not play at all as I am now.

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

Can people just stop complaining? Anet are busting their kitten giving us this great content and all you people do is moan, if you don’t like it play something else

Nobody is “moaning” as you say about the content. Everyobody is happy we get new content. I think it’s amazing that we get a patch per month.

Whats wrong is to cut out all existing lvl 80 exotic gear owners from new content involving agony unless they acquire new gear, after having said that exotics would be the most powerful items in the game and even legendaries had only a cosmetic advantage over them.

Now legendaries are upgraded to ascended level, and if you want to enjoy all the existing and future content you need to trash the gear you put time and money into to acquire ascended gear.

It’s plain wrong.

The clean way to do the same thing would be to add infusion slots to all existing lvl 80 exotics. That would be keeping your word AND adding new content which we all love and are grateful for.

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

Personally what hurts the most is that people who actually support this wow-ification of GW2 probably have no idea what their initial anti-grind philosophy prior to launch was. This wouldn’t spark such debate, tons of hate posts here and hate comments on youtube and other sites if this is what we were expecting from the start.

If people knew that this game was going to introduce this right from the start, without any promise of eliminating grind and promising horizontal progression, then we wouldn’t be in this mess. They are for some reason going against their own promises and I see this as a concern myself. I put a lot of hopes in this game, personally. Never before a game of this genre came out with such promising set up. Manifesto trailer summed it pretty well, and hyped people for something NEW and fresh.

Now all you can see on the comments below the trailer are hate, hate and more hate. Is this really what we expected? No…

I must say I did put a lot of hopes in this game. I paid more then average player did for the CE, fully supporting them. I paid even more then the average CE customer because of all the taxes and shipping. I went with “wow, this game is promising. Anet cares about their players, and actually makes a game that will be like a holy grail for those who waited for a MMO without grind, player segregation and elitism community”.

Now it’s all shattered – they promised more of these gear treadmills in the future.

Why is this a problem? Because if they can introduce this in 1 dungeon, they can pretty much introduce it for more content, something more people will want to play. It wont be long before you log in, out-geared by hardcore players and get picked on because you “don’t have the best gear, go away noob”. Been there already. It’s frustrating and extremely anti-social.

I must say – if GW2 fails on this level, if it doesn’t deliver it’s promise then NO future MMO ever will. Especially because it was supposed to be the game that changes and innovates this genre.

Let me guess you have only played WoW and that is why you feel this way.

There are many other MMO’s who use gear progression and these “bad things” that you and others think that will happen, don’t actually do happen. You had this problem because WoW had a player base of 10million people. If you get that many people playing a game there are going to be A LOT of bad/rude people. But if you take a game like Rift or LotRO that have a tighter and stronger community, people don’t act like they do in WoW. Even WITH gear progression.

When LotRO announced it was going F2P all people would talk about is how it was going to bring in nothing but “WoW” people. And again people in LotRO would compare them all to WoW. Well F2P happened and LotRO’s community didn’t change. It was still a very good community and it still is today.
Rift and SWTOR known “WoW Clone’s” introduced a LFG system. Everyone was "Look what LFG system did to WoW, it destroyed the community!!!!
That also never happened.

You people sit there and spout off how much this will destroy Guild Wars 2 or how the community will act like elitist jerks. But you really don’t have a clue! Maybe try waiting and see what happens first for you start making accusations?
try learning some patience and just wait and see what happens!
I bet it won’t be anywhere near how bad you make it sound out to be!

Posted by: chronus.1326

chronus.1326

That’s enough for me..

That is a problem because there was never any statical difference between Legendary and Exotic.

They are creating it right now.

The entire gap never existed and if they would have had a true horizonal progression with only cosmetic differences then we wouldn’t even be talking about this.

Then there wouldn’t even be “tiers” and this entire thing wouldn’t even be possible.

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

I love how everyone who wants new “item progression” is basically saying this.

‘I am way too nooby to learn new content so please give me a way to do the same thing over and over again until I’m strong enough to beat it by stats!’

“What it “seems” like it is, is the people who have played GW1 and are now playing GW2 really don’t like the idea of change. They want GW2 to be the exact same thing as GW1. But ArenaNet has listened to the community and is putting this change for the better of the game and the players.”

We don’t want GW2 to be exactly the same as GW1. We have GW1 for that. We simply don’t want GW2 to be “generic fantasy MMO # 553”, as we have generic fantasy MMO 1 through 552 for that. We also want GW2 to be better then GW1. GW2 found fun ways to keep us happy and busy for 7 YEARS. GW2 ran out of ideas after 3 MONTHS. Ascended armour is not ANet listening to the community and doing something good – it’s ANet saying they are giving up and doing the least amount of work possible to keep the people happy.

It’s kind of like walking into a fancy restaurant, ordering something that sounds fancy and good, and getting a big mac +. Sure, it’s better then a bigmac, but you came here to get away from Mc Donalds.

“You people sit there and spout off how much this will destroy Guild Wars 2 or how the community will act like elitist jerks. But you really don’t have a clue! Maybe try waiting and see what happens first for you start making accusations?”

I don’t need to sit here and wait for something I was promised wouldn’t happen would happen. If I bought a program on my satellite to watch with my kids that was rated G, and half way through they starterd showing decapitations, blood and guts – I’d normally like that, but I was specifically told it would NOT be in this, so why is this HERE.

(edited by GADefence.5634)

Posted by: Izzy.2951

Izzy.2951

Convert the ascended gear with exotic stats or give us back our money.

We dont want gear grinding, we paid GW2 for this and other reasons.

Hands up to make ArenaNet rectify!

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Can the mods really stop closing out posts? I had posted something that was related to Ascended gear, but was not appropriate to this particular thread.

I wanted to know if the hardcore players expect more tiers. I think its relevant to talk about and should be in its own thread. I dont think it should be in this one.

Please look at your moderators behavior. I am becoming agitated and feel the need to give customer service a call.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

I see that many players are begging for a treadmill. Many player do not want to be annoyed by a treadmaill. The best solution would be to limit the functionality of ascended gear to this certain kind of dungeons. For all other rewards beside infusion and acended gear introduce alternatives on equal level in the world outside of the fractals.

This would satisfy both sides of players.

Posted by: zallis.2138

zallis.2138

Maybe they intended for Ascended gear to only be of major use in the new dungeon, and maybe they will release new types of armor and infusions for other new dungeons. That way it encourages you to do the dungeons and that isnt as bad as making an entire treadmill.

Information about New Outriders
en.guildwars2.com/forum/guilds/recruitment/New-OutRiders-NOR-Recruitment-Post/first#post2721974

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Can people just stop complaining? Anet are busting their kitten giving us this great content and all you people do is moan, if you don’t like it play something else

You should really think about the consequence of your comment if they actually listen to it. You are talking about a large group of people just getting up and leaving the game costing Anet a hell of a lot of income if they do. Not to mention already empty zone will become more desolate. Meaning more people will leave until they hit rock bottom. Just look at every major title released in the last 8 years for evidence.

Caran.3217

Cause I spent 100 gold on the cultural set and transmuted it onto my exotic set. I don`t have the heart to destroy it.

I don`t think it`s wrong or bad. I think the game needs a drastic change like this to keep people motivated and wanting to play. I haven`t played for over a month and am looking forward for a reason to login. What else was there to do? Save queensdale from centaurs for the millionth time? Or run AC again for tokens I don`t need for anything? I`ll still have my cultural skins that I can transmute over the new armor if I can find a tailored set for the stats I want. But I would rather grind for a new set I need to do special content then not play at all as I am now.

If you want to grind, go grind for multiple legendary weapons, which are a terrible ‘true asian style’ grind anyway the way they’re implemented right now. ‘Grind’ for new skins when they come out.

There is absolutely no reason they need to add that ‘stat-carrot’ to it.

Posted by: Mik Hell.8206

Mik Hell.8206

I bought this game because of statements like theese:

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Fun impacts loot collection. The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.”
– Colin Johanson

They are adding a gear treadmill now:

The new additions in November are just the start of our item progression initiative. We’re going to add tons of new high-level content to Guild Wars 2 in the future. As we introduce the new high-level content, we’ll also roll out complimentary Ascended and Legendary items (to say nothing of the other rewards you can earn by playing the content).
I hope you are all as excited about these new items as I am!

Lindsay Murdock.

The latter contraddicts the formers.

I will not buy more gems, I will not buy expansion packs and I will not play this game anymore if this patch goes live as it is.

In my opinion all they need to do is keep the ascended items base stats at exotics level and let us infuse our current exotics.

Posted by: Hohan.4016

Hohan.4016

NO BS, but I know of 10 people who quit GW2 because of being bored at 80 in the last 2-3 weeks. They have been watching info about The Lost Island patch and when they found out that there was going to be some kind of gear progression and a new dungeon, they will be coming back to check it out on the 15th.

So their wallets are going to open back up, just because of gear progression. And if they like it more will come.

That sounds awesome, so your friends who obviously raced through content got bored and decided they did not want to support the existing community or ANET any longer and jumped ship are coming back.

So how long will they stay this time a month or two then leave again.

Just the sort of community this game needs.

Hope ANET enjoys its new influx of temporary players as existing ones exit through the door.

Not a very viable business plan for Anet to attract fickle customers like that.

Raced thru the content? The game is almost 3 months old! 2 months is MORE than enough time to get to 80. Just because you are a casual player doesn’t mean everyone else is.
GW2 does not have a subscription so they can stop or play anytime they want, thats the point of a Buy2Play game.

The most major complaint about Guild Wars 2 is no endgame content. ArenaNet is adding something to help that. And again just because your are so casual and want nothing to do with it doesn’t give you the right to take it away from people who do!

But you feel you have the right to remove the no gear treadmill. Such a hypocrite you are. You and your kind only want to screw over other people by wanting something added that was said to not be part of the game. The biggest complaint never was end content. That was just the complaint of those who never bothered to look into what the game was about. These people are also never going to stick around in the first place.

With over a thousand hours played, multiple level 80s, I’m still far from done. So yes your friends raced through things and will do so again and quit again. You’ve said it yourself Anet is a business. Now who brings in more money someone who plays a few weeks or someone who plays years? Rhetorical question so don’t even bother to answer.

This thread proves that Anet effectively split the community in 2 and they will lose the more loyal customers, who stuck by them for years, due to their lying.

I totally agree with u man. But imho at this point Anet should give us some info especially for WvW and Spvp players that’s what i think

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

That’s enough for me..

That is a problem because there was never any statical difference between Legendary and Exotic.

They are creting it rigth now.

The entire gap never existed and if they would have had a true horizonal progression with only cosmetic differences then we wouldn’t even be talking about this.

If they want to keep the horizzontal progression they only have to make 2 things:

1) ascended gears= new skins but SAME stats of an exotics + rune, and if someone look the runes, they have the same distribution of stats. (for weapons same stats but without sigil)
2)let people to infuse the current CUSTOMIZED exotic gear

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

read this:
“Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content. PvP will remain unaffected to ensure our intended PvP balance going forward.”

They also said, that the new gear is intended to be a kind of substitute for those who want a goal that doesn´t take as much time as a legendary.

In other words: it probably will still take a lot more time and effort to get ascended gear compared to exotics! So no more easy max-stats for casuals!!! Welcome to grind-wars 2!!!

(edited by hydeaut.1758)

Caran.3217

Nobody is “moaning” as you say about the content. Everyobody is happy we get new content. I think it’s amazing that we get a patch per month.

Whats wrong is to cut out all existing lvl 80 exotic gear owners from new content involving agony unless they acquire new gear, after having said that exotics would be the most powerful items in the game and even legendaries had only a cosmetic advantage over them.

Now legendaries are upgraded to ascended level, and if you want to enjoy all the existing and future content you need to trash the gear you put time and money into to acquire ascended gear.

It’s plain wrong.

The clean way to do the same thing would be to add infusion slots to all existing lvl 80 exotics. That would be keeping your word AND adding new content which we all love and are grateful for.

It’s very sad there’s people that fail at understanding those simple game design mechanics. Good post.

Posted by: Egger.2935

Egger.2935

That’s enough for me..

They are creating it right now.

Then there wouldn’t even be “tiers” and this entire thing wouldn’t even be possible.

Yes, that is my opinion. Tanks for clearifying that.
Completely sign!

Posted by: Abigarus.4813

Abigarus.4813

what is the use of white, blue, green items in game? they are not connected, u cant upgrade from blue 80 item + some mats = green 80 item, usually skins are worst than high end gear, stats are lower! at the end u sell them, or salvage them!
this is same in most mmo games, thats the big problem! they need to make really item progression/upgrade, for example:
- u have 3 tiers of items, starting/plain (white), medium/buffed (blue), end game (green)!
- u can only get white from drops or professions or WvW or dungeons, and only these can be sold on TP!
- u need to gather specific material so u can upgrade ur white to blue item, and this can be done if ur right profession, or trough some NPC, or something else
- after that u can upgrade blue to green, and so on…!
- u cant sell any item past whites! economy is still saved cos crafters will make white items and sell them on TP! (different base stats, or skins, …)
- u can have sockets, have gems/runes, similar progression as items
- different dungeons for different white item stats/skins, and different mats upgrades
this is just for u to get idea, how it could be done item progression, where all tiers r connected, and lower items wont get obsolete, economy stays the same, dungeons wont become obsolete, player base is happy, …!
OFC, there must not be huge difference in stats between item tiers, only more epic looks, achievement or prestige!

And you were there; And I was every question that; Never had an answer; I see right through you!

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

they will undoubtely lose lot of customer even if they retracts now….but they will lose less….

If they really go on with this prepare to see gw2 deserted….because its what will happen…

I think is clear that the situations is far beyond a simple QQ 7000 posts of protests is a sign they are doing something really wrong

And also that they are listening (nobody believes that btw) to a 0,01% of players…..

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Urxx.6840

I see that many players are begging for a treadmill. Many player do not want to be annoyed by a treadmaill. The best solution would be to limit the functionality of ascended gear to this certain kind of dungeons. For all other rewards beside infusion and acended gear introduce alternatives on equal level in the world outside of the fractals.

Since GW2 was advertised as a no-threadmill game, whoever came here looking for a threadmill is out of place, not those who hate threadmills and don’t want the game to go in that direction.

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

I’ll wait until I experience it first-hand myself, before I judge. I remember (with some uneasiness, I admit) LOTRO and its disastrous “radiance” gear which they eventually shelved.

I trust ArenaNet to approach this more intelligently, however, given their track record thus far with this game.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Posted by: Reklov Nesalk.5274

Reklov Nesalk.5274

…something like: I really like playing in max statted gear instead of chasing it…

Ok so it sounds like you are not even level 80 yet correct? This change is even better for someone like you! Because you are not 80 you didn’t craft any exotic gear. So with this patch you won’t have to waste mats or time creating exotic gear because there will be Ascended and Legendary gear instead! (We do not know if any of the new 200 crafting patterns are for Ascended gear or not, so we will have to wait and see).

But once you hit 80 then get your Ascended gear (Or Legendary) then thats it!
Thats all there will be for the gear progression ranks.
The gear progression will be: Rare, Excotic, Ascended and Legendary.
As Chris Whiteside – Studio Design Director said “We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.”

So there is no reason you can’t have the same fun as you have been doing.

The problem is that my hope “at 80 the item progression/grind is over” was turned to nightmares of “I need to get new gear over and over and over again”.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Personally what hurts the most is that people who actually support this wow-ification of GW2 probably have no idea what their initial anti-grind philosophy prior to launch was. This wouldn’t spark such debate, tons of hate posts here and hate comments on youtube and other sites if this is what we were expecting from the start.

If people knew that this game was going to introduce this right from the start, without any promise of eliminating grind and promising horizontal progression, then we wouldn’t be in this mess. They are for some reason going against their own promises and I see this as a concern myself. I put a lot of hopes in this game, personally. Never before a game of this genre came out with such promising set up. Manifesto trailer summed it pretty well, and hyped people for something NEW and fresh.

Now all you can see on the comments below the trailer are hate, hate and more hate. Is this really what we expected? No…

I must say I did put a lot of hopes in this game. I paid more then average player did for the CE, fully supporting them. I paid even more then the average CE customer because of all the taxes and shipping. I went with “wow, this game is promising. Anet cares about their players, and actually makes a game that will be like a holy grail for those who waited for a MMO without grind, player segregation and elitism community”.

Now it’s all shattered – they promised more of these gear treadmills in the future.

Why is this a problem? Because if they can introduce this in 1 dungeon, they can pretty much introduce it for more content, something more people will want to play. It wont be long before you log in, out-geared by hardcore players and get picked on because you “don’t have the best gear, go away noob”. Been there already. It’s frustrating and extremely anti-social.

I must say – if GW2 fails on this level, if it doesn’t deliver it’s promise then NO future MMO ever will. Especially because it was supposed to be the game that changes and innovates this genre.

There are many other MMO’s who use gear progression and these “bad things” that you and others think that will happen, don’t actually do happen. You had this problem because WoW had a player base of 10million people. If you get that many people playing a game there are going to be A LOT of bad/rude people. But if you take a game like Rift or LotRO that have a tighter and stronger community, people don’t act like they do in WoW. Even WITH gear progression.

When LotRO announced it was going F2P all people would talk about is how it was going to bring in nothing but “WoW” people. And again people in LotRO would compare them all to WoW. Well F2P happened and LotRO’s community didn’t change. It was still a very good community and it still is today.
Rift and SWTOR known “WoW Clone’s” introduced a LFG system. Everyone was "Look what LFG system did to WoW, it destroyed the community!!!!

You people sit there and spout off how much this will destroy Guild Wars 2 or how the community will act like elitist jerks. But you really don’t have a clue! Maybe try waiting and see what happens first for you start making accusations?

You need a history lesson on Lotro and their radiance armor. Simply put it did not end well for turbine.

The writing is on the wall and it is written in blood. A lot of us are seeing that the train is heading for a wall and the breaks are broken. I guess you’d rather hit the wall than change tracks.

Posted by: Malevil.2104

Malevil.2104

I would seriously like to know what happened in ANet. Scrapping one of their core selling points of the game after 3 months ? Seriously …

If anyone there thinks this is good move, they are imo totaly wrong. Sacrifacing loyal players who are satisfied with game as it is, for players who might come is dumb.

One should be able to learn history lessons, this realy reminds me star wars galaxies nge fiasco. Yes this is not sub game but, if this change will go through, i (and im pretty sure i will not be alone) will definetly vote with my wallet.

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

impossible to argue with 99% of misinformed people… I guess this really bad communication on Anets side about this costs them quite a few customers.

Posters who are trying to explain the system just drown here. I admit, I didn’t get it first either. Bad communication. Anet, just respond to the people.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Ganzo.5079

they will undoubtely lose lot of customer even if they retracts now….but they will lose less….

If they really go on with this prepare to see gw2 deserted….because its what will happen…

I think is clear that the situations is far beyond a simple QQ 7000 posts of protests is a sign they are doing something really wrong

And also that they are listening (nobody believes that btw) to a 0,01% of players…..

If you look around on the net, not only the main forum is protesting, but also on other sites ppl are talking about this mess. so this thing its not only related to this 7k replies topic

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
LOL

Posted by: ionite.6234

ionite.6234

Chris’ new post implies getting a legendary before was “progression”.

Well guess what, it wasn’t. Like everything else, it was a completely optional skin.

Nothing in that post told us why exactly we need gear progression and why we couldn’t keep it just in new skin form. Not to mention “we won’t add a new tier every 3 months” doesn’t mean “we won’t add a new one ever”. So far it goes against every quote Colin Johanson, Mike O’Brien and others made on gear not so long ago.

And what about level scaling? You already utterly destroy everything in low-level zones if you’re in exotic gear, what will full ascended do? Just something to think about in the future.

Posted by: Shayde.2564

Shayde.2564

Let those of us that actually like GW2 as advertised buy this new puce gear on the trading post, in WvW, or for gems. We’ll go back to the product we loved, albeit a little wiser, and Anet can go back to the impossible task of pleasing wowkids.

chronus.1326

That’s enough for me..

They are creting it rigth now.

If they want to keep the horizzontal progression they only have to make 2 things:

1) ascended gears= new skins but SAME stats of an exotics + rune, and if someone look the runes, they have the same distribution of stats. (for weapons same stats but without sigil)
2)let people to infuse the current CUSTOMIZED exotic gear

Exactly.

Update the current system, maybe change the stats of the Exotics if that’s what they want, add more runes/inscribtions/infusions, but do not add more tiers.

Actually, now that I think about it, the entire Tier system doesn’t belong into this game. It is a redundant eyecandy that will just attract more people who want vertical progression.

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

Then transmute it onto your ascended gear? :|

Caran.3217

You need a history lesson on Lotro and their radiance armor. Simply put it did not end well for turbine.

The writing is on the wall and it is written in blood. A lot of us are seeing that the train is heading for a wall and the breaks are broken. I guess you’d rather hit the wall than change tracks.

Haha, the guy does not want to understand, it’s plain obvious.

But i do like the ‘broken breaks’ train part, quite amusing.

Posted by: Nethril.7413

Nethril.7413

Since GW2 was advertised as a no-threadmill game, whoever came here looking for a threadmill is out of place, not those who hate threadmills and don’t want the game to go in that direction.

^^^ It’s simple guys. Guild Wars 1 set a precedence. They claimed Guild Wars 2 would uphold it. I came to this game because it would NOT have the gear treadmill that WoW and soo many others have. This is a direct violation of the precedence AND promises set forth by ANet and the Guild Wars series.

I don’t see why anyone can argue for it? You obviously didn’t read about the game before you bought it if you believe this is acceptable. By saying you are okay with this new tier of gear, you are saying it’s okay for ANet to lie. What’s next? Guilds of Warcraft with 25 man raids, gear score, add-ons, a mini-pet pokemon game, built in farmville?

Zyrith – Thief | Morden Krad – Guardian | Nethril – Warrior
[ACEN] Ascension | Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Shilian.5873

Shilian.5873

Guys you forgot something essential:

The gap between exo/ascen is MINIMAL, so not a MUST for WvW or anything, just for the new dungeon, and guess what? you will get the gear while progressing trough it.

Too much fap guys, no reason to go mad.

Urxx.6840

Let those of us that actually like GW2 as advertised buy this new puce gear on the trading post, in WvW, or for gems. We’ll go back to the product we loved, albeit a little wiser, and Anet can go back to the impossible task of pleasing wowkids.

It’s ironic you call people wowkids in the same post where you basically happily accept a threadmill.

Posted by: Katre.1084

Katre.1084

I too bought this game under the impression that once I obtained my gear I would not have to grind for more, like in gw1. Unfortunately, if they think that this small bandaid will bring back the hordes of people who left the game (most of them Im sure not because of lack of gear progression), they are wrong. Its a pity that they are now going to drive off many many of their loyal players who actually stayed. Anet, if you want to fix something….. give us a descent cosmetics system. You seem to like copying LOTRO lately, so give us their excellent cosmetics system, because town clothes…….. it just isnt working.

Posted by: Malevil.2104

Malevil.2104

The gap between exo/ascen is MINIMAL, so not a MUST for WvW or anything, just for the new dungeon, and guess what? you will get the gear while progressing trough it.

I dont consider 8% difference minimal , its quite enough to be difference in small scale fight in WsW.

Caran.3217

Then transmute it onto your ascended gear? :|

Yeah right so people spent a lot of time gearing up in exotics to be done with exactly this ‘gearing up’ to be able to jump into any existing and new content at their leisure, without the worry their character is held back by bad gear…. out of the window!

Exotics => trashcan. Grind new gear => transmute again if you want. Rinse and repeat =/

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

“Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two.”

Here’s the thing, guys. The progression from exotic to legendary was totally optional. If you didn’t want to spend days and days for prestige gear, you could just stop at exotic and be happy with your gear. Now you’re adding an extra tier of gear with better stats.

Giving people “endgame” stuff to do that’s not a legendary: good idea.
Shifting the goal posts for what top-of-the-line “endgame” gear is: awful idea. DO NOT WANT.

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com

Urxx.6840

This is a common misconception. The STAT gap is minimal. The exotic item’s impossibility to have infusions and counter agony is huge. The new dungeon is the only place where agony is incflicted FOR NOW, but things will change.

They haven’t developed a whole new system to use it only in the fractals. We’ll see agony in many upcoming patches.

chronus.1326

The increase between every tier in World of Warcraft is only 10%.

Ganzo.5079

Chris’ new post implies getting a legendary before was “progression”.

Well guess what, it wasn’t. Like everything else, it was a completely optional skin.

Nothing in that post told us why exactly we need gear progression and why we couldn’t keep it just in new skin form. Not to mention “we won’t add a new tier every 3 months” doesn’t mean “we won’t add a new one ever”. So far it goes against every quote Colin Johanson, Mike O’Brien and others made on gear not so long ago.

And what about level scaling? You already utterly destroy everything in low-level zones if you’re in exotic gear, what will full ascended do? Just something to think about in the future.

i agree, me too im not intrested to get a legendary, because i prefer to play the way i like to do, instead of go to dungeon to acquire the max stat gear. Until few days ago, i was doing dungeon to have some good skin to customize my exotic set, and it was fun because o havent the pressure to get the POWERFULL item to be competitive, but only a skin to have a better look.

LOL

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

As you know we care very much about your support and opinion and are listening intently to what you say.

do you?
check that 7000 posts below then…and delete the wholepatch we never asked for (also don t use that 0,000001% players wanting trendmill as an excuse we are not fools).

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

My problem isn’t the treadmill, per se. My problem is going to be the gap created between the Exotics (the best I’ll ever get, unless they let me ‘craft’ newer items) and the top end gear, which will ‘still’ be Legendaries, which I notice Chip McGenius didn’t mention in his Bobby McFarrin post in announcements. Yes, Legendaries will still be the end, but I read they are then ‘pushing’ Legendary stats furtther out. Which widens the gap between the best I’ll ever be able to do and the best.

As it stands now, most everyone just has Exotics. And yes, I get the argument about how the ‘little’ stat change won’t make you ‘better’ in WvW (as an example), and I agree.

However, if you are horrible at it, like I am, but still manage to have some level of fun because of the more even playing field, this ‘will’ truly make you end up being worse, as the gap between me (the horrible, the bad) and Jonny Rugburn (l33tz0rz eSport p3w p3w) will be ‘that’ much more. Before the introduction of this, it would at least be closer.

And yes, I’ll still be in Exotic because I’m not going to go to Chaz McL33tz Dungeon C00lC00l land to farm drops. I don’t like dungeons.

Now, what would be fine is if we had a crafting alternative to always nudge ourselves up to the Legendary with the same gap we had before. If that is possible, then I have no problem. But that would mean that we could craft things you could get in Timmy Leetdungeon, and that would make the dungeon people cry, and I don’t get it? If you have ‘your’ way to get something, and I have ‘my’ way to get something, what do you care? Clearly the awesome new dungeon is the best and fun way to get it, right?

But the argument is, “if you can craft it then no one will go to the dungeon to get it”.

If that is true, what does that tell you about:

1. The dungeon experience (in any game).
2. The human condition.

Maybe a great number of us don’t want to be pawns in your little ’Mer’ca, Gordon Gecko-ized, Alex P. Keaton-esque (yeah…look it up…it’s obscure :p) Call of Doody, NASCAR, CMA, Values virtualized greed simulator.

Oh, and kitten (<- typed it just in case).

Posted by: ionite.6234

ionite.6234

This is a common misconception. The STAT gap is minimal. The exotic item’s impossibility to have infusions and counter agony is huge. The new dungeon is the only place where agony is incflicted FOR NOW, but things will change.

They haven’t developed a whole new system to use it only in the fractals. We’ll see agony in many upcoming patches.

This. Even better – it won’t be agony, but it’ll work similarly, and you will need new infusions to counter it every time.

Posted by: Rhyaehar.9504

Rhyaehar.9504

Have you seen pleople complaining about the new content and the update in general? No.
Everyone was excited about the new stuff added to game.

The new content is not the problem, there was not a single post on this forum that I’ve seen saying “no new content, we want the game scope to stay as it is!”.
No, people are complaining about a mechanic that to them, ruing the game.
A mechanic that was not meant to be in GW2 ever, which was stated by the Devs multiple times during the development period and marketing campaign not to have place in GW2. A lack of which made many buy the game actually.

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

The reason so many people are screaming & complaining now is that the patch is going to be released in one day now. If we don’t make our voice heard now, this game will be changed forever.

Now there are many gaming websites that are reporting this is a huge misstep by arena net and there is this feedback they are getting from this report. I only hope they listen and retract these changes before they go live.

If they don’t, I will stop supporting them and I implore you to do the same. Make your voice heard now before it’s too late.

Posted by: Flynch.6034

Flynch.6034

impossible to argue with 99% of misinformed people… I guess this really bad communication on Anets side about this costs them quite a few customers.

Posters who are trying to explain the system just drown here. I admit, I didn’t get it first either. Bad communication. Anet, just respond to the people.

Pretty much 100% this.

Anet need to release some details that are concrete and this thread can be put to sleep. Currently there are thousands of players commenting on something that they think will happen.

And that’s fair enough, as the details are far from refined. It’s very easy to read the blogs and then see what you want to see. It’s too ambiguous and frankly Anet need to sort it out. The forums are not a nice place to be at the moment.

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

This. Even better – it won’t be agony, but it’ll work similarly, and you will need new infusions to counter it every time.

They did the same BS in Warhammer Online – look how well that turned out. One of the worst PVE experiences I’ve ever played.

Posted by: ljaphillips.3497

ljaphillips.3497

The stat increase is just not needed, for the grinders here who call themselves hardcore (aka more free time that most) ANET could have catered for this with a set of dungeons, making specific dungeon set/s of gear for them the grind grind grind away at, that gets them deeper and deeper into the pixilated treadmill.

And when they leave the dungeon the armor is no better in other areas than other open world armor, thus preserving balance and feeding the grinders among us. Infusion for this infusion for that, hell they could have made it is own dynamic content driven treadmill from heaven.

Though i doubt that this shiny new armor would be as attractive when people realise the stat edge was not usable in normal PvE and PvP etc..

Fact is I think 99% of the content being added is great, but this stat creep in the first 3 months for Tyeria wide use is a bad thing.

Personally if they wanted harder and hard content, they should be investing their time in the AI side of the mobs / bosses within dungeons and creating inventive mechanics to make people think during a dungeon. Also making these mechanics random within a dungeon so people have to dynamically adjust to new sets of problems and scenarios. Rather than traditional gated content done via gear creep.

(edited by ljaphillips.3497)