Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

Well this is also true for people in white gear compared to blue, or blue compared to green. Its always been the case, why so worried now?

Because you know where the limit is! and that limit is quite easy to reach!

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: Jezath.7395

Jezath.7395

I agree with these points fixit and namu. wvwvw gives stat bonuses so you could say it is more important than Spvp. However imho its 200 vs 200 or whatever the population cap is and a fw point of stats on maybe 25% of players will not make that big a difference.

Ya if you get aoed by 20 players your gonna die regardless of if they are in exotic gear or ascended really.

It would really only make a huge difference in small group pvp, which is rather rare depending on the server. If it were say 5v5 and 5 had all ascended and the other for whatever reason had exotics and lower then they would be at a disadvantage. But again something like that would be very rare.

Which now makes me curious on how its aquired through WvW…. badges?

Im guessing bud, but i think this gear will be all tied around the new dungeon and there wont be any other way to get hold of it. I agree this would kinda suck a bit tho Would be nice to be able to craft it or obtain a wvwvw version with badges

Tis not what they can do for you
Tis only what you can do for all

Posted by: Krone.4605

Krone.4605

can someone explain me, why should i even try crafting exotic armor if i would have to grind for ascended one?

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

Wrong. There is balance atm. Gear threshhold in Wv3 has a cap.

True exo 80 vs True exo 80 in Wv3 atm is equal in gear.

Difference is skill.

After they go through with this:

True legendary 80 >>>>> True exo 80.

If you don’t spend the time, money, and or RL money you are doomed to being second best. That is not right and true to their Manifesto.

Last point: 3x orb bonus was axed b/c it made Wv3 unbalanced. Stat increase was to great. What they are doin with legendaries and Ascended gear is like giving everyone access to their very own personal ‘3 orbs’ via gears as long as you grind/pay $$ for it.

But one tier of gear isn’t going to devestate that balance. Because first of all they are only adding what 2 pieces? a ring and back piece.
Its not exactly based on skill because some class’s do outweigh others in damage in general, and have advantages…. professions aren’t exactly balanced right now.

Lastly skill always prevails over gear, like a non 80 taking out a 80 in exo for example.

But I was more or less referring to the imbalance between the number of people in a fight. It is rarely =/= numbers. and its rarely 1v1 unless your a roamer. But for a general majority its zerg vs zerg aoe spam vs aoe spam. A slight stat difference from 2 new pieces of gear being introduced will not be enough to upset the balance in a way that will crush all balance.

But my original though that they should just scale ascended/legendary to exotic level upon entry to wvw still stands.

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

Well this is also true for people in white gear compared to blue, or blue compared to green. Its always been the case, why so worried now?

Because it was always clear that there were tiers beyond blue, green and yellow. If one decided to invest in one tier knowing it wasn’t best-in-slot, it was an informed decision.

Now exotics aren’t best-in-slot anymore, but who invested in them didn’t make an informed decision.

Posted by: Zplus.4217

Zplus.4217

It does not matter if pvp is excluded or it does not affect this or that. PVE, PVP and WVW are all part of what makes GW2 fun and great, when 1 part is affected the rest will too be affected, eg. if PVE was affected and less players joins this game, you will see less new comers on the PVP maps.

The way I see it, the coming hours will determine the make or break of this great game which I enjoyed immensely:

They either A: pull the update and go back to the drawing board or B: go ahead with the update anyway despite the fact that almost over 9000 negative feed backs on the forum.

Result from going A:
The community will again put our faith back to the company and hope they will not make the same mistake again, and both the company and the community will come out of this mess stronger.

Results from going B:
Content grinders will eat up everything within a very short time and complain on the forum that there is “no end game” then leaves. Loyal fans will be displeased, alienated and forced to quit because we were sold a lie.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Shall we look at some history. Funcom created huge hype for Age of Conan. They than showed a very polished but very small part of the game and sold it asif the rest was like that. This is known as a lie. They have yet to recover from this as a lot of people didn’t pick up The Secret World due to being lied to and Funcom’s reputation being shot to hell.
This is your reputation on the line Anet. If you go through with this the same thing will happen here at least where a large portion of your current customerbase is concerned. Getting peoples trust back is the hardest thing for any company to achieve.

So I’d say continue at your own risk, but don’t come crying when it blows up in your face and all the gear grinders leave again. History also proves me right on that those types of people leave unless you keep feeding them more and more grind. Until you only have those types of people left.

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

I love how people state there was a gap from exos to legendaries. . . Named exotics were that gap. Essence of the Forefire is a fraction the cost of a real Legendary (100~ gold in mats IIRC), down to stuff like Bravery (5~ gold in mats IIRC). Then you have something like Infinite Light which is 650~ gold (yes. 1’500 ori ingots + 250 charged cores >.<) which is MORE expensive then some of the lesser legendaries.

Will named exotics get a stat increase TOO? It’ll be pretty stupid if Infinite Light doesn’t, but Quip does.

Namu.5712

can someone explain me, why should i even try crafting exotic armor if i would have to grind for ascended one?

Define Grind.

I would hold off…. no one knows how ascended is even aquired at this point in time. You may get it from simply running new content that you would have ran anyways.

And they are only releasing a few pieces at a time if I read correctly. So its not gonna be a instant oh new set time to go get it all. So crafting your exotic is still wise imo.

Posted by: Mandrax.7342

Mandrax.7342

There is no point. Unless of course the playerbase start making it a requirement to join groups for the new dungeon, which is a real possibility.

Posted by: TheIronFistOfDeath.3016

TheIronFistOfDeath.3016

I see no problem with ascended gear so long as it doesn’t become a requirement to play content. In an MMO like WoW, without the best gear (and the associated hours upon hours of grinding to get it), you cannot complete most of the end game content. So long as the end game content in GW2 can still be completed with exotic gear, making ascended gear completely optional, I would be all for it. It gives an incentive to play more for those who want it, but doesn’t force it on anyone that doesn’t.

Perhaps end game content should be scaled to exotic gear and the marginal increases from ascended and legendary would just make said content slightly easier. The key is options. Not requirements, and I think that’s where the devs are heading. So, I’m all for it.

Posted by: kistell.5684

kistell.5684

Shall we look at some history. Funcom created huge hype for Age of Conan. They than showed a very polished but very small part of the game and sold it asif the rest was like that. This is known as a lie. They have yet to recover from this as a lot of people didn’t pick up The Secret World due to being lied to and Funcom’s reputation being shot to hell.
This is your reputation on the line Anet. If you go through with this the same thing will happen here at least where a large portion of your current customerbase is concerned. Getting peoples trust back is the hardest thing for any company to achieve.

So I’d say continue at your own risk, but don’t come crying when it blows up in your face and all the gear grinders leave again. History also proves me right on that those types of people leave unless you keep feeding them more and more grind. Until you only have those types of people left.

Well said , i for one still refuse to by any Funcom Product.
Also add blizzard after Diablo 3, Anet is now verging on that point now too.

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Ok you take one group with 36% more stats over all due to having full sets of new gears/weapons vs another group that does not have that stuff….

Tell me, who will win in pure numbers?

Oh you say it’s only 2 rings and a back slot, silly! Then I point out they explicitly said they are not only adding full sets with accompanied weapons but ALSO with mutiple ‘tiers’ and more legendaries on top of that.

This game becomes Gear Wars, just like that other game and all it’s clones.

This is why I quit those other games totally; no thanks to gear wars.

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

In an MMO like WoW

But GW2 wasn’t supposed to be a MMO like WoW XD

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

I see no problem with ascended gear so long as it doesn’t become a requirement to play content. In an MMO like WoW, without the best gear (and the associated hours upon hours of grinding to get it), you cannot complete most of the end game content. So long as the end game content in GW2 can still be completed with exotic gear, making ascended gear completely optional, I would be all for it. It gives an incentive to play more for those who want it, but doesn’t force it on anyone that doesn’t.

Perhaps end game content should be scaled to exotic gear and the marginal increases from ascended and legendary would just make said content slightly easier. The key is options. Not requirements, and I think that’s where the devs are heading. So, I’m all for it.

The problem is that it will not be good enough and you will need to obtain the new ascended gear to delve deeper into the fractals – or else “agony” will get ya! What a great concept, hmm, where have I heard this before?

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

“adding challenging new combat mechanics to end-game content and ways to mitigate those mechanics through gear progression for high-end players”
- Linsey Murdock
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

Urxx.6840

For technical reasons, even if they listen to feedback I don’t expect them to pull the patch.

In order to restore my faith in them, for me it would be enough to get an official statement saying they underestimated the negative impact a new tier of gear would have on the community and they would either publish the patch without ascended gear or immediately start working of pulling ascended gear from the game and giving infusion slots to exotics.

Giving some way to exchange exotics for ascended equivalents would also prove their good faith and the fact the introduction of ascended items will be a one-time event and won’t waste previous investments from the players.

Namu.5712

Ok you take one group with 36% more stats over all due to having full sets of new gears/weapons vs another group that does not have that stuff….

Oh you say it’s only 2 rings and a back slot, silly! Then I point out they explicitly said they are not only adding a full set with accompanied weapons but ALSO with mutiple ‘tiers’ and more legendaries on top of that.

That would be a no thank you for me.

They said it in their announcement post that the gear wouldn’t all be released at once. The only ascended gear being released today is a piece or two…. ill go back and read maybe ive been up to long and im off my rocker o.O. But if they release say 2 pieces every 3 months….. the situation you outlined above is really not gonna happen because most will go after the new pieces.

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

For technical reasons, even if they listen to feedback I don’t expect them to pull the patch.

In order to restore my faith in them, for me it would be enough to get an official statement saying they underestimated the negative impact a new tier of gear would have on the community and they would either publish the patch without ascended gear or immediately start working of pulling ascended gear from the game and giving infusion slots to exotics.

Giving some way to exchange exotics for ascended equivalents would also prove their good faith and the fact the introduction of ascended items will be a one-time event and won’t waste previous investments from the players.

Don’t hold your breath Urxx – this is going to go live with little to no more communication from ANET. Now they are somebody that I used to know.

Jezath.7395

The same reason you would grind for greens before you get exotic in my eyes.

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

There is no point. Unless of course the playerbase start making it a requirement to join groups for the new dungeon, which is a real possibility.

This is entirely an issue of the playerbase then, and not really the updated tier. With this many people complaining that they don’t want it to happen, do you really think people will actually force groups to be all ascended and the like? Did you not see that the way the system is designed, it sets difficulty based on the highest common level reached in this dungeon. What this means is, in a group of 5, if 4 are at level 10 of the dungeon, and 1 is at level 2, the difficulty will be set to level 2 as that is the highest common level with the entire group. Now… what will this do? There will be a point where people will hit a wall and will not be able to progress. Newer players, and those who haven’t run the dungeon who aren’t wearing Ascended gear will be in great demand, especially for people looking to farm the dungeon.

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

Mandrax.7342

If the weight of this discontent is enough to force them into some kind of action, then I would expect them to still go ahead with ascended gear but just not add any new tiers in future.

I’m sure most players will not mind having to grind out one more tier if they know 100% that there would be no more in future.

Urxx.6840

I see no problem with ascended gear so long as it doesn’t become a requirement to play content.

It will become more and more of a requirement to play an increasing amount of content:

Lindsay Murdock:

Players who wish to delve deep into the Fractals will find that Agony makes progress increasingly difficult, until they reach the point where some defense against this condition is a must.

In the beginning it will be just part of the Fractals, but they have stated the system will be expanded.

Lindsay Murdock:

This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content.

fixit.7189

Yea, I am not quitting. I will grind in PvE like a good little hampster so I can go back to Wv3 eventually. Not going to like doin that tho, it will be forced on me.

And also I will have to somehow figure out how I am going to come up with a couple 1000 gold so I can afford to buy legendary weapon sets. I need at least 3 to start (1 staff + 2x daggers). This is going not going to be enjoyable at all. Guess I could spend RL cash like most….but I don’t wanna…

(edited by fixit.7189)

Namu.5712

Fixit:

we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content.

As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game. Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content.

So I was correct they are only release like 2 pieces in this content update…. I hardly think that is game breaking. Then adding more in future updates.

Posted by: Krone.4605

Krone.4605

…i really like GW and GW2 and i’m really afraid that they will ruin the game and loose all the players…

Urxx.6840

Don’t hold your breath Urxx – this is going to go live with little to no more communication from ANET. Now they are somebody that I used to know.

If I have to be realistic I have to agree with you.
And great song btw.

Posted by: Zplus.4217

Zplus.4217

Oh you say it’s only 2 rings and a back slot, silly! Then I point out they explicitly said they are not only adding a full set with accompanied weapons but ALSO with mutiple ‘tiers’ and more legendaries on top of that.

They said it in their announcement post that the gear wouldn’t all be released at once. The only ascended gear being released today is a piece or two…. ill go back and read maybe ive been up to long and im off my rocker o.O. But if they release say 2 pieces every 3 months….. the situation you outlined above is really not gonna happen because most will go after the new pieces.

You are assuming that the community stays the same and everyone plays everyday and never skipped any updates along the way.

If for example someone leaves for a couple of months and came back, want to play with their friends again, right now they can just jump in and do exactly that. After this patch, they will want to get new gears or they will be weaker then the rest, and if they want to experience the new content/monsters/dungeons, then they will definitely need to grind out the new gears before they can even stay alive with the new monster condition.

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Easy fix for tomorrow’s patch. Change the numbers for the items in the database to match that of exotics. This could take just seconds.

Medium term fix allow infusions to be worn on exotics

Longer term bring in Ascended items with infusions built in.

Simples.

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

Mandrax.7342

This is entirely an issue of the playerbase then, and not really the updated tier. With this many people complaining that they don’t want it to happen, do you really think people will actually force groups to be all ascended and the like? Did you not see that the way the system is designed, it sets difficulty based on the highest common level reached in this dungeon. What this means is, in a group of 5, if 4 are at level 10 of the dungeon, and 1 is at level 2, the difficulty will be set to level 2 as that is the highest common level with the entire group. Now… what will this do? There will be a point where people will hit a wall and will not be able to progress. Newer players, and those who haven’t run the dungeon who aren’t wearing Ascended gear will be in great demand, especially for people looking to farm the dungeon.

I know all that. I was merely responding to the question of ‘what is the point of crafting exotics now that ascended is coming’.

Jezath.7395

It does not matter if pvp is excluded or it does not affect this or that. PVE, PVP and WVW are all part of what makes GW2 fun and great, when 1 part is affected the rest will too be affected, eg. if PVE was affected and less players joins this game, you will see less new comers on the PVP maps.

The way I see it, the coming hours will determine the make or break of this great game which I enjoyed immensely:

They either A: pull the update and go back to the drawing board or B: go ahead with the update anyway despite the fact that almost over 9000 negative feed backs on the forum.

Result from going A:
The community will again put our faith back to the company and hope they will not make the same mistake again, and both the company and the community will come out of this mess stronger.

Results from going B:
Content grinders will eat up everything within a very short time and complain on the forum that there is “no end game” then leaves. Loyal fans will be displeased, alienated and forced to quit because we were sold a lie.

I think this is a little over dramatised. I do not think loyal fans will leave the game over this. Ones with money to spend anyway. If this was true then those loyal fans as you put it would not in fact be loyal at all. They havent been sold a lie, read the manifesto. I linked it in an earlier post.

stof.9341

The green and rare items value at level max or close to it isn’t diminished by the “soul bond” status. Green value is more or less plain NPC sale value, and at worse mystic forge fooder. Rare value is tightly linked to the ecto value itsemf so unneeded yellows just get the salvaging kit treatment and you recoup their value back.

Now, let’s talk about the 2-3g piece exotics that salvage to maybe 3-4 ectos if you are lucky XD

Namu.5712

Yea, I am not quitting. I will grind in PvE like a good little hampster so I can go back to Wv3 eventually. Not going to like doin that tho, it will be forced on me.

And also I will have to somehow figure out how I am going to come up with a couple 1000 gold so I can afford to buy legendary weapon sets. I need at least 3 to start (1 staff + 2x daggers). This is going not going to be enjoyable at all. Guess I could spend RL cash like most….but I don’t wanna…

Guys, you aren’t reading.

Though lied to already but:
Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content.

TheIronFistOfDeath.3016

In an MMO like WoW

But GW2 wasn’t supposed to be a MMO like WoW XD

Which is why I differentiated the 2. Is anyone even reading anymore or is it just rampant butthurt? I’d like to know if I’m wasting my time.

fixit.7189

You have to start RIGHT now to get legendary weapons cus they will have the best stats period. They already said so. So if you want to be relevant, you had better start on legendaries asap. Atm it was optional and for cosmetic/bragging rights only but soon it will become mandatory if you want to compete.

Namu.5712

You are assuming that the community stays the same and everyone plays everyday and never skipped any updates along the way.

If for example someone leaves for a couple of months and came back, want to play with their friends again, right now they can just jump in and do exactly that. After this patch, they will want to get new gears or they will be weaker then the rest, and if they want to experience the new content/monsters/dungeons, then they will definitely need to grind out the new gears before they can even stay alive with the new monster condition.

That part is true.

But depending on how its setup they might not be able to even enter the deeper areas without first completing the earlier levels… in which they have to do the content anyways regardless…. that is of course assuming you aquire the gear in the fractal though.

Posted by: Cutterslaine.2689

Cutterslaine.2689

I’d rather pay a monthly fee and get the Guild Wars 2 I thought I was going to be playing.

Amazing how money clouds vision and really stops a game fulfilling its true potential.

TheIronFistOfDeath.3016

The problem is that it will not be good enough and you will need to obtain the new ascended gear to delve deeper into the fractals – or else “agony” will get ya! What a great concept, hmm, where have I heard this before?

Which is why I suggested all content be scaled to exotics. People, Y U no read?!

Urxx.6840

Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content.

Still they took our achievement of having 100% best-in-slot gear and trashed it. While they are at it they could take our gifts of exploration, remove 100% explored world and keep adding new territory necessary for the achievement. It’s the exact same thing.

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

The fact that the armour will last you at the very least a month, if not 2 or 3 or more before ascended gear is introduced to replace a whole set…

fixit.7189

Ascended weapons will be second best since they have infusion slot thingie; legendaries have slot for sigils. Legendary Weapon >> Ascended >>>>>> Exotic.

TheIronFistOfDeath.3016

I see no problem with ascended gear so long as it doesn’t become a requirement to play content.

It will become more and more of a requirement to play an increasing amount of content

Unless it doesn’t.

Don’t you love circular rhetoric?

Namu.5712

Still they took our achievement of having 100% best-in-slot gear and trashed it. While they are at it they could take our gifts of exploration, remove 100% explored world and keep adding new territory necessary for the achievement. It’s the exact same thing.

Its all part of the ride for me. I view this situation alot differently I think. I don’t really support a gear treadmill. But I am not hurt about my exotic sets not being the best anymore. I would be pissed if I lost my 100% explored though……I hunted for some of those spots! :P

Urxx.6840

It will become more and more of a requirement to play an increasing amount of content

Unless it doesn’t.

Don’t you love circular rhetoric?

Except Lindsay Murdock said it will.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

In case it’s not been mentioned, there’s an article on Kotaku about Ascended Gear, and the article says that a GW2 dev will be ‘right here live’ today.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

Most who are at the level cap, who have full sets of good gear (rare or exotic), who enjoy dungeons, who want to grind for Ascended gear (which based on their reasoning will be more difficult than exotics, less than legendary), and who have the privilege to play the game over the next couple months.

Anyone who does not fall into ALL of those categories will be left behind.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

stof.9341

The fact that the armour will last you at the very least a month, if not 2 or 3 or more before ascended gear is introduced to replace a whole set…

I’ve been farming for 2-3 months now to get some T3 and the correct exotic set. I had already achieved one OK exotic set and one MF and now I’m nearly to the point I could get one piece of the T3 set, the most expensive one.

I don’t need a stupid armor that lasts me a month or two only and costs me as much as one T3 part. I need that money for the later. And for the legendaries after. And the set swaps for different builds.

Posted by: Cutterslaine.2689

Cutterslaine.2689

So in WvW the new stats on legendary’s will be much greater than exotics or ascended.

I was sure it was explained legendary items was for skin only?

Posted by: Sdric.8526

Sdric.8526

8300+Replies.
90% against a treadmill.
“The community wants a treadmill”

I’m sorry but I really think this is a mistake.
This is no small and ignorable issue people will learn to accept in time.
This is a 180° spin which brakes everything the name Guild Wars ever stood for.

If we can’t stop it, I hope they do realize it in a few month and disable this ascended grind madness again.

sPvPers against gear-grind.
Ascended Gear-progression disables WvW for us.
Stop it now!

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

I really don’t want another armor tier, just let us infuse our armor like in GW1.. this makes no sense, why would ANet of all people add another tier? Who is really running the show here? Makes me worry for the future of this game. They really shot themselves in the foot this time, worst idea I’ve seen since the removal of team arena tbh.

We were pretty much all under the impression that exotic was the best possible armor with no treadmill after that, now I will be replacing my exotics with ascended…. please, please just stick to your initial philosophy and do not cater to the WoW scene.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

(edited by Rukia.4802)