Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cutterslaine.2689

Cutterslaine.2689

Does this mean if a new dungeon is released, you have to buy new armor to add your infusions to?

I know you could just swap infusions but wouldn’t that overwrite and destroy the old ones?

I don’t know but this all seems just to be developed to get us to dip into our pockets for real cash.

They have stepped away massively from the gw1 cash shop formula.

(edited by Cutterslaine.2689)

Posted by: Kushkah.2935

Kushkah.2935

Well, if nothing else, it’s somewhat comforting to know that there are so many other players that actually want the same kind of game I’ve been wanting and blogging about for years, which GW2 pretty much delivered for 10 weeks. Maybe some day.

That’s what’s the most disappointing to me, I really wanted that kind of game, got really excited about GW2, and was really enjoying it. I even still want to, I was having a blast but I went from wanting to login as often as possible to just feeling frustrated/dissapointed/angry even looking at the icon. Call it dramatic but that’s how I feel. I had been avoiding commenting because everything I wanted to say has been said, and it wouldn’t matter anyway, but I’m sure I’m not the only lurker that feels this way.

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

Okay, stop me if I’m wrong here but exactly what is the problem with an increase in stats? How exactly is it any different from one person have level 80 rare tier equipment to someone have exotic level equipment? Doesn’t that also fall into your definition of ‘unbalanced’?

At no point did someone with Rare equipment have 100% maxed stats on their equipment. Someone with Exotic equipment had 100% maxed stats on their equipment.

What this update does is, if you have 100% maxed equipment, it downgrades you to less than 100%. You have to go grind out Ascended gear now, just to get back to the exact place you started.

This extends backward too. If we say that Rare equipment currently represents 90% maxed equipment, this update downgrades all Rare equipment to 80% maxed equipment, and so on for all the other equipment tiers.

Shunting players back by 10%, and then forcing them to grind just to get back to where they started (and in particular, forcing them to grind for much, much longer than it took them to get there in the first place) is terrible game design, and is exceedingly disrespectful toward your players.

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

Oh for the love of God, please stop posting on this thread, they are releasing it and theres nothing anyone can do..quit if you dont like it…you bought the game they have your money already. The people who dont like gear progression will quit and the people who do will start playing.

I could at least understand this from a business perspective even if I don’t like it, except that I don’t see why anyone who hasn’t already bought the game would follow it closely enough to know about this change and then suddenly decide to purchase it.

No, I don’t think this is about attracting large numbers of new players. I think it’s an attempt to funnel players into the same area (the new dungeon hub) and to bring back players who reached level 80 and stopped logging in because they didn’t want to do anything except chase power.

The question is, how many of the players who like vertical progression will stay and spend versus how many who dislike vertical progression will quit?

I think ArenaNet made a bad decision, but there is no way to be sure right now. The forums are not representative of the MMO population as a whole.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

Now, maybe they will address the players’ concern and rectify the situation in some manner. I’m not counting on game developers to have some humility and actually pay attention to their audience however, though I have heard that ANet is rather good in this regard.

In all honesty, up until this mess their reputation was earned with 7 years of sticking to their vision and keeping their word.

That’s why I’m here posting. I wouldn’t if I thought they were just the next scammy studio.

But as their silence continues and they refuse to say something MEANINGFUL (i.e. Mike O’Brien and/or Colin Johanson aknowledge they are going against what they personally promised and do something about it, instead of sending someone like the poor Lindsay Murdock or Chris Whiteside in the lions’ cage in their stance), my trust and respect are ticking lower and lower.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

The main difference between the FoV and the Ascended gear is that FoV is actually accessible at the moment.

Less you forget, FoV also kicked up a fuss on the forums not too long ago and incited developer response and dialog. It also got looked into and eventually addressed. In fact they originally said it was impossible without breaking the game. However, it underwent a beta period of testing on live servers and eventually got rolled into the game as default. (Looks so much better).

My contending point is that they are probably waiting for it to get into the wild before they address concerns in more depth. This initial uproar is about something that we haven’t even played yet and haven’t fully experimented with the impacts it has on the game when it is opened up over the weekend.

With this patch they have in fact only released 3 slots worth of items, and the potential impact is probably being closely monitored. The doom bringers in this thread will tell you this spells out that they intend to release more full tiers of gear in the future, despite them saying several times that isn’t their intent.

Going by the data mined legendary stats from before this patch went live, they did already have higher stats than the Exotic weapons, which could suggest that they fully intended this gear to be in the game at some point after launch, and thus it isn’t the start of some endless repeating process of adding higher tiers of gear, but a way of spreading out content prolonged throughout their continual development, (including the addition of the Ascended items within WvWvW and general PvE (be that crafting, karma or otherwise (insanely difficult jumping puzzle please <3).

There is quiet rightly a lot they haven’t said to the community, but as opposed to it being done in some negative ignoring way, they are in fact waiting until their content is actually in our hands and being played through, before responding to the largely negative responses to it’s announcement. After all, don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

Whilst there has been a lot of negative comments about being ‘lied’ to about the concept of gear grinding, it’s apparent that we have yet to see the full spectrum of what A.Net plans in regards to progression and procurement of the Ascended gear in future content updates. A manifesto is by definition, a statement of intent, and a publicly delivered set of ideas and future visions.

It has been stated that they current intent is to give us an expansion packs worth of content through monthly (?) installments of content, an expansion should, if delivered correctly offer multiple paths towards obtaining what they set out as the ‘end-game’ of progression.

As we have only seen the very first part of this content, I am quiet happy to give them then benefit of the doubt until I have seen more of their intended additions to ‘progression’ in future updates, before I get all up in arms about having to run a dungeon as my only option at end game.

While I agree with you fully, it’s still worrying though.
And I feel that people in this age are too impatient and already had no faith in ArenaNet whatsoever. People are scared of every change. Hell, minutes after the patch was up, people were shouting (as usual) over the profession skill fixes.

People are just very passionate about this game, but there seems to be no stopping and drawing a line saying: “okay, let’s see how this works” There’s so many emotional responses here there doesn’t seem to be any room in order to step back, wait for the content review the content (Hell it’s free, so room enough to test, the game isn’t that bad, oh and you don’t have to pay them any money for it)

Try to get some of the ascended gear, see how long it takes you, if it’s really that bad that it makes you feel you want to bash your face into the keyboard for so long that your forehead reads QWERTY. Yes? Come back, and complain about this with some actual facts.

At least that’s what I’m gonna do.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Daredemo.2794

Daredemo.2794

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success

Oh, man. That’s just sad to read today.

Posted by: icekxg.7961

icekxg.7961

“Thoughts on Ascended Gear?”

My thoughts? It sux! I would consider myself a casual player and don’t have time to grind for items. It took a lot of time and gold for me just to exotics and to transmute them to the looks that I wanted. Now you are telling me that unless I grind one dungeon for ascended gear I will be under-powered in WvW? …Thanks, but no thanks!

Posted by: Cutterslaine.2689

Cutterslaine.2689

The main difference between the FoV and the Ascended gear is that FoV is actually accessible at the moment.

Less you forget, FoV also kicked up a fuss on the forums not too long ago and incited developer response and dialog. It also got looked into and eventually addressed. In fact they originally said it was impossible without breaking the game. However, it underwent a beta period of testing on live servers and eventually got rolled into the game as default. (Looks so much better).

My contending point is that they are probably waiting for it to get into the wild before they address concerns in more depth. This initial uproar is about something that we haven’t even played yet and haven’t fully experimented with the impacts it has on the game when it is opened up over the weekend.

With this patch they have in fact only released 3 slots worth of items, and the potential impact is probably being closely monitored. The doom bringers in this thread will tell you this spells out that they intend to release more full tiers of gear in the future, despite them saying several times that isn’t their intent.

Going by the data mined legendary stats from before this patch went live, they did already have higher stats than the Exotic weapons, which could suggest that they fully intended this gear to be in the game at some point after launch, and thus it isn’t the start of some endless repeating process of adding higher tiers of gear, but a way of spreading out content prolonged throughout their continual development, (including the addition of the Ascended items within WvWvW and general PvE (be that crafting, karma or otherwise (insanely difficult jumping puzzle please <3).

There is quiet rightly a lot they haven’t said to the community, but as opposed to it being done in some negative ignoring way, they are in fact waiting until their content is actually in our hands and being played through, before responding to the largely negative responses to it’s announcement. After all, don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

Whilst there has been a lot of negative comments about being ‘lied’ to about the concept of gear grinding, it’s apparent that we have yet to see the full spectrum of what A.Net plans in regards to progression and procurement of the Ascended gear in future content updates. A manifesto is by definition, a statement of intent, and a publicly delivered set of ideas and future visions.

It has been stated that they current intent is to give us an expansion packs worth of content through monthly (?) installments of content, an expansion should, if delivered correctly offer multiple paths towards obtaining what they set out as the ‘end-game’ of progression.

As we have only seen the very first part of this content, I am quiet happy to give them then benefit of the doubt until I have seen more of their intended additions to ‘progression’ in future updates, before I get all up in arms about having to run a dungeon as my only option at end game.

And I feel that people in this age are too impatient and already had no faith in ArenaNet whatsoever. People are scared of every change. Hell, minutes after the patch was up, people were shouting (as usual) over the profession skill fixes.

People are just very passionate about this game, but there seems to be no stopping and drawing a line saying: “okay, let’s see how this works” There’s so many emotional responses here there doesn’t seem to be any room in order to step back, wait for the content review the content (Hell it’s free, so room enough to test, the game isn’t that bad, oh and you don’t have to pay them any money for it)

Try to get some of the ascended gear, see how long it takes you, if it’s really that bad that it makes you feel you want to bash your face into the keyboard for so long that your forehead reads QWERTY. Yes? Come back, and complain about this with some actual facts.

I guess it’s because while the game may be free to play a lot of players have invested a lot of time and in some cases real money into what the have achieved already. (Fully geared characters and skins etc).

To have the slate wiped clean without having the option to build on their achievements is naturally disturbing.

It poses the question a lot of us are asking ourselves,. “How often is this going to happen, and will it never end?”

I know whilst this game was in development I never once worried about Gw2 becoming a gear treadmill because of my experience with Gw1 and the things the developers were saying.

This seems solely a business decision to get players to put their hands in their pockets….and not even a very well hidden one.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

Have it crossed your mind that many of us impatient, emotional people don’t feel the need to wait and see what happens since we’ve seen the exact same things happen to other games we’ve played and we don’t want to see it happen to GW2?

If you’d see a kid trying to set off fireworks from his hand, would you wait and see if he manages to pull it off, or would you at least try to intervene?

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: WhiteRat.5761

WhiteRat.5761

Just remember guys no monthly fee, its new content i say bring it on.

Posted by: kistell.5684

kistell.5684

Seriously, last week I held ANet on the same level as valve…idk wth happened. My only solace is that I KNOW that they listen and that if there is enough of an outcry, they have a history of making things right. If they don’t…idk.

I think the lack of a real response on the forums and the way the Q&A was handled says it all pretty clearly.. They’re not ignoring us entirely, they’re just ignoring anyone who disagrees with the decisions they’ve made based on the feedback they assumed we would’ve given, had they asked.

Personally, I haven’t wanted to login since the announcement and that probably won’t change since no vertical progression was the main reason I got the game in the first place. I’m going to give it maybe another week before I file for a refund, just in case, but really I’ve already given up and I’m going back to FPS’s, BF3 and Halo 4 for me this weekend.

Well said , this will be my last post on here.
After what Anet have done im personally finished with them now, this is the last Anet game will purchase and not one more $ from me any more will be spent in their cash shop.

Anet have now fallen quite firmly with the ranks of Fun-com.

Lies / depict and bad customer service drive people away.

Posted by: fizzypop.6458

fizzypop.6458

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

The SWG-NGE was new content as well… all of us that went through that should just shut up and be happy too?

Common people, if you like the change to a tread-mill fine… its your opinion but apathy and acceptance because “its better then nothing” just means Anet and other companys can completely change the product after the fact of purchase even if its to a product you would NOT have purchased.

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

Diablo 3 threw the Diablo 2 fans under the bus to make more money. Guild Wars 2 will throw the Guild Wars 1 fans under the bus to make more money. Business is business.

Posted by: LuckyLuke.9046

LuckyLuke.9046

if you dont like the game and new patch just go and play other games dont cry at forums
no “thief is op anet nerf them” “oooo new pacth new gear wtf anet lies” this is a MMORPG if you dont give a lilte gear progresion or somthing similar not to farming for nothing at 80lvl!Tell me a good reason to play the game .For fun ok for fun but farming for what? you take your exotics make crafting at 400 then just farming the oor this is the fun for u?

Srry for my bad englishis not my primary language…

Tsoulaki-lvl 80 thief

Posted by: krookie.6378

krookie.6378

New content is the zone, the story, the dungeon. Ascended gear is not content. It’s artificially prolonging the game via the introduction of a gear grind. Which is not actually content. You’re basically doing the same thing over and over just to see some numbers go up.

krookie.6378

if you dont like the game and new patch just go and play other games dont cry at forums
no “thief is op anet nerf them” “oooo new pacth new gear wtf anet lies” this is a MMORPG if you dont give a lilte gear progresion or somthing similar not to farming for nothing at 80lvl!Tell me a good reason to play the game .For fun ok for fun but farming for what? you take your exotics make crafting at 400 then just farming the oor this is the fun for u?

You play the game because you want to play the game. If you need a reason to play the game then maybe you shouldn’t be playing in the first place.

Asking for a reason to play a game is like asking for a reason to watch a movie or eat a sandwich.

fizzypop.6458

Why? We paid for the game. We are allowed to give feedback. I give feedback all the time to companies on their products. Why is a game ANY different? Do ya’ll not give reviews?

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

The problem with waiting and seeing is that it won’t work.
They are sneaking in the new tier, and this patch will only introduce rings and back items, hardly game changers in themselves.

Before you will be able to see the full impact of what they started today (i.e. have full ascended armor and weapon sets), you will have to wait for months.

They hope people will get accustomed with the new status quo before its consequences are noticed by every player.

Now is the moment to give feedback and try and stop this mess. When the full impact of ascended gear on the game will be clear, it will be too late to do something. By then, the only options we will be left with will be to swallow this stinky stuff or to stop playing.

Personally I hate both.

Kushkah.2935

After what Anet have done im personally finished with them now, this is the last Anet game will purchase and not one more $ from me any more will be spent in their cash shop.

Anet have now fallen quite firmly with the ranks of Fun-com.

Lies / depict and bad customer service drive people away.

I hope the gem store is impacted as heavily as it seems it will be, since it’s become our only outlet to send a real message. I gave ANet a pretty decent chunk of cash because I don’t have that much time to play, and with no monthly fee I didn’t mind dropping $10 or $20 here and there (not to mention the extra $60 I spent on another copy for my gf because I thought it was a casual mmo that would let us actually do dungeons together without having to worry about gear) to get things I wanted and to support a company that I thought I could trust. From the responses on here it’s clear plenty of other people did the same.

Now to the 4 other people I got playing I look like the idiot who went on about how great ANet was and how they stood by what they said for 7 years in GW1, and GW2 would be the mmo we’d been looking for. They know it’s not my fault ANet lied to us but they’re pretty disappointed as well, and have also stopped playing.

Posted by: Elrond.9486

Elrond.9486

Any thoughts, Devs?

Zeus Thorsson – Guardian
Silver Moon [MOON]
The Toast

Posted by: vox.5019

vox.5019

if they didnt add gear than we would have had a thousand posts saying “whats the point of new content if the stats are the same QQ” theres new stuff to do that is more challenging thus requires better rewards.

why would you do an insanely hard dungeon (fractals of the mists) if you get the same awards grinding an easy 1

This and posts like it completely miss the mark. We did areas harder than anything GW2 has, and I would put money on being harder than the fractals. Areas where the difficulty was a skill check not a gear check. And we did it for rewards that were no more powerful than anything else you could get within a day of making your character. Why? Because they were the rarest and most difficult to obtain items. We got all of the prestige of the rarest and coolest looking items plus the prestige of completing content that many couldn’t even though they had the exact same tools as us.

We also knew beyond any doubt that the item we worked so hard to obtain, months in some cases, would never be made worthless by new content updates. It would be with us for years or as long as we cared to use it. That creates a true and last attachment to your gear, your rewards, that you can never have with progression gear.

And if someone had no interest, was casual, took a break for a few months, just started a new character, w/e, it didn’t matter, they could still play in the same world as us. They could even do the exact same content with us if they ever did want to because there was no artificial gear barrier that they would have to grind for half a year to pass. How much have you heard them say that GW2 is about bringing players together? How much of the launch content was designed to do exactly that? Well guess what, horizontal progression goes hand in hand with that concept. Vertical progression tosses it out of the window.

That’s the Guild Wars paradigm. That’s what horizontal progression and ungated content means. That’s what separated it from the ocean of generic gear grinds. That’s what we played for years. That’s what we expected in GW2, and were lead to believe we would have. And that’s why we’re angry.

Some conditioned to running in a hamster wheel say “things change.” I say, why are you trying to make them the same?

This industry just needs to move on. We’ve seen a bunch of “WoW 2.0” attempts, and
who actually wants that? Do we really want to be playing those same game mechanics for
another 5 or 10 years? -Mike O’Brien

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Have it crossed your mind that many of us impatient, emotional people don’t feel the need to wait and see what happens since we’ve seen the exact same things happen to other games we’ve played and we don’t want to see it happen to GW2?

If you’d see a kid trying to set off fireworks from his hand, would you wait and see if he manages to pull it off, or would you at least try to intervene?

I was never interested in other more crappy MMOs. :P So no. I am only familiar with ArenaNet, and so far they made me enjoy their content. In GW1 there was no(t much) vertical progression, but I didn’t care for it. In this game there’s progression but I still don’t care for it.

Plus, the analogy of a kid holding fireworks has little comparison with this situation.
It’s not like anyone is gonna get physically hurt. Maybe people lose trust, stop buying their stuff. And that’s about it. It’s still a game in the end for me no matter what.

So maybe I stop playing this game, maybe I stop trusting ArenaNet. But I don’t feel the need to go all “dramaqueen” on here about it.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Steely Phil.3952

Steely Phil.3952

Since they haven’t implemented Gear Score yet everyone be sure not to re-skin your Ascended gear. Otherwise you’ll have no way to prove you’ve got it and won’t be allowed in groups.

“Yo dawg, we heard you liked grind.” -ANet

Posted by: LuckyLuke.9046

LuckyLuke.9046

Why? We paid for the game. We are allowed to give feedback. I give feedback all the time to companies on their products. Why is a game ANY different? Do ya’ll not give reviews?

Yes give a reviw about the products but give them right not crying….

Tsoulaki-lvl 80 thief

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

LOL !

OP

yeah sure, there isnt any gear treadmill in GW2 and this stuff is not going to be mandatory… nice joke.

also, having to farm 200h for a single item will make not want anyone do it another time for all your alt like it was possible in GW1 because you could get the best stuff very cheap.

Its going to be like in any crappest mmo, only one char, because its too boring to farm thoses stupid OP stuff…

Let’s do the event this week end, and forget this crap gear grind game right after.

Nice fail World of GuildCraft.

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke

(edited by E Tan.7385)

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

“Diablo 3 threw the Diablo 2 fans under the bus to make more money.”

How many people still play Diablo 3?

Seriously answer please, I avoided it since it’s a new blizzard title, and to me all blizzard titles suck.

Posted by: Zerikin.1593

Zerikin.1593

Adding a gear treadmill to this game sucks. I came here to escape that. Exotics were reasonable to obtain and then we were done, unless you really wanted that amazing looking legendary. Even a basic infusion is going to use a freaking eldritch scroll.

Posted by: Hilko.1760

Hilko.1760

" this is a MMORPG if you dont give a lilte gear progresion or somthing similar not to farming for nothing at 80lvl!Tell me a good reason to play the game .For fun ok for fun but farming for what? you take your exotics make crafting at 400 then just farming the oor this is the fun for u?

This was suppose to break the MMORPG mold….Yet you are arguing for somethign that puts it right back in the mold.

If you thought hitting 80 only opened up farmin orr you need to look more into the game.

Kushkah.2935

“Diablo 3 threw the Diablo 2 fans under the bus to make more money.”

How many people still play Diablo 3?

Seriously answer please, I avoided it since it’s a new blizzard title, and to me all blizzard titles suck.

I don’t know about officially but I believe it’s well under half what it was a few months ago. http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Diablo-3-Player-Count-Dives-By-65-According-Gametrics-44420.html

I don’t play anymore, and if you check out the forums there’s more than one mention of things on the AH not selling because there’s just not many people left to buy things.

fizzypop.6458

Yes give a reviw about the products but give them right not crying….

Are you stalking every single person in this thread to see if they are crying at home? Because dude that’s creepy. I’m not crying. I’m telling them they are being kitten and alienating a part of their base that’s not going to go back to other mmos in a week. Let’s face it if people want to have gear gated content and a gear grind they’ll likely end up right back to whatever mmo they came from. It’s a dumb move on their part. I’m going to tell them “hey this is dumb”. I’ve given them handfuls of suggestions and keep doing so until I eventually give up.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

I was never interested in other more crappy MMOs. :P So no. I am only familiar with ArenaNet, and so far they made me enjoy their content. In GW1 there was no(t much) vertical progression, but I didn’t care for it. In this game there’s progression but I still don’t care for it.

Plus, the analogy of a kid holding fireworks has little comparison with this situation.
It’s not like anyone is gonna get physically hurt. Maybe people lose trust, stop buying their stuff. And that’s about it. It’s still a game in the end for me no matter what.

So maybe I stop playing this game, maybe I stop trusting ArenaNet. But I don’t feel the need to go all “dramaqueen” on here about it.

I’m happy for you if you don’t care for vertical progression one way or another. I really am, because it means you can still enjoy the game.
I however was long fed up with this mechanic and decided I will not play games that employ it: the only reason why I waited and in the end bought GW2 was because it promised no vertical progression.
On a side note, I also always refused to play korean grinder MMOs because of the F2P store model they offer, which I found completely ridiculous with all that RNG stuff. I don’t know, maybe kids are taught more about statistics in Europe, but those low money grab techniques disgust me. Again, that’s off-topic.

As for the analogy:
first of all, I believe the game will get the closest to getting physically hurt as a virtual entity can.
Also, assume for a moment that GW2 will indeed follow in the footsteps of all the other MMOs who decided to take on WoW on it’s own ground and failed: this will also hurt the game.
And when a game suffers, all the wonderful people who worked on it for so many years suffer too; many of them might end up fired (no firework pun intended), so yes, someone (something) might get hurt, one way or another.

Also, I don’t like the term “dramaqueen” in this context?:
I feel a scammed customer, victim of false advertising or however you want to name it.
Of course, I might just shut up and take it, or slowly sever my ties with the offender.
But quietness is what offenders usually count for, and for the sake of principle, I’ll not going to give ANet that.

I did not have to ask for refund, after all the game is “pay once play forever”, so it might just happen that they will fix these things in the future.
But apparently, the only way i can really speak right now is with my wallet. So I will, again for a principle.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

(edited by cherrie.8907)

Posted by: Pukknub.7368

Pukknub.7368

I wrote some post about ascended gear in a swedish forum. But I’m not sure if anyone will see this post since there already are 193 pages. I might also be mistaken with my theories.

But I’ll give it a try.

The ascended rings have 11% more stats if I’m not mistaken

My exotic armor+trinket (without back item and armor upgrades): 1854
Full ascended (without back item and armor upgrades) would be: 2057
That is an 11% increase or 203 stat points.

Now, if any knight ascended set would exist, ~41% of its stats are toughness, ~29,5% precision and ~29,5% power.
That would mean an extra of 83 toughness, 60 precision and 60 power.

My stats atm (without back item and armor upgrades) are 1883 power, 1833 Precision, 1821 toughness and 1116 vitality. Total of 6653 stats.

Full ascended would be: 1943 power, 1893 precision, 1904 toughness and 1116 vitality.
Total of 6856.

That’d be a 3% stat increase. That 3% stat increase is split into at least 3 different stats.
Defensive and offensive stats together.

Sure, you’ll get some kind of extra bonus from the built in upgrades in ascended armor but we don’t know what it is. We also do not know how much extra armor the armors will have.

Infusions are also agony resist and wont matter in wvw or in any pve encounter where you can’t get ascended gear. I’m not sure about the pve part but it wont do anything in wvw. That I am sure of.

My guess is that ascended gear won’t make a big difference. Barely visible if my calculations are correct.

People tend to complain a lot without even knowing the facts of what they’re complaining about.

Regards.

Pukknub
Proud member of Velocity [VcY]

GADefence.5634

“My guess is that ascended gear won’t make a big difference. Barely visible if my calculations are correct.”

Your calculations are completely wrong : For one, infusion adds agony and other stats and ANet already said both are going to be increased over time.

Pukknub.7368

“My guess is that ascended gear won’t make a big difference. Barely visible if my calculations are correct.”

Your calculations are completely wrong : For one, infusion adds agony and other stats and ANet already said both are going to be increased over time.

Here is an ascended ring: http://www.gw2db.com/items/71354-khilbrons-phylactery
and here is an ascended ring with infusions: http://www.gw2db.com/items/71374-khilbrons-phylactery-infused
Same stats except agony resist.

Ofc things can change in the future. I just made some calculations assuming they wouldn’t change it.

I’d love to see some calculations or somethign about how it will unbalance etc. I’m tired of people just assuming it will.

Why start complaining about items that they might change in the future?

Pukknub

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

Because without people saying “stop dont do this” it will never change.

Apathy leads to nothing being done to correct a mistake.

Dissent gives us a CHANCE to get an error corrected.

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

Posted by: Eder.9120

Eder.9120

193 pages and counting… and most people HATE the new stat increases.
In the very unlikely event that Anet are reading this, add me to the HELL NO camp.

I never intended to get Legendaries and didn’t care two hoots about them because they were just an appearance perk, stats were the same as my exotics. All I cared about was that I was not disadvantaged in WvW. Now you are changing one of the very core features of this MMO not 3 months in.

I don’t even understand why stats need to increase at all… Legendaries were only an appearance upgrade but some people were already willing to jump through all those formidable hoops. So let them do that if that’s what they find fun. Why force everyone else who’s already sick of this from other MMOs to do the same? Why can’t we have OUR kind of fun, the kind of fun that was TOUTED from the beginning?

I recommended this game to many old MMO friends who had stopped playing MMOs because of the endless grind. I now have egg on my face, cause this game is turning out just like any other.

Posted by: Palcro.5986

Palcro.5986

I have been reading through this thread for the last few days, and think it is clear what the majority of community feels about the new ascended gear. I waited to see if they were going to realize there mistake before I posted, and seeing as how the patch went live here I am.

Let me give you all a little incite as to what attracted me to purchase this game and invest money in the gem store. I am a young single father of two little girls, work full time, and have a fairly busy life. I love fantasy RPG games especially MMO’s, but as of late there are times I can’t play much. So the original GW2 I was sold was the no grind everyone is on equal ground game that it was before today. I hate grinding for gear just to have it outdated three, six, 12 months later, it feels like work, and if playing a game feels like work, than it is not fun. There are plenty of direct quotes in this thread to developers stating there would be, no grind, no gear treadmill, and that the game would be FUN. Guess what ArenaNet weather you see it or not you lied, no way to put a twist on what you have done. You straight up LIED to everyone that purchased your game.

IMHO ArenaNet has betrayed and lied to all of us that were looking for this new MMO that we was promised by ArenaNet during its development. We were told multiple times throughout development that GW2 is not going to be a grind fest, no fun, feel like work, treadmill style that almost every other MMO is today. We were told there would only be linear progression (cosmetic upgrades), and the game would not feel like work but would be fun. Well guess what, to me what this ascended gear will do is turn the game into a grind fest, no fun, feel like work, treadmill progression game just like the majority of MMO’s on the market.

I got my $60 worth out of the game no complaint there at all I love the world they created and innovative play style they used. I have invested $100 in gem store purchases, for bank slots, backpack, character slots, and a few of those evil BL keys for the Halloween event which i wont even get into that. All of which was money well spent with no regrets other than the keys :-(. However after they have gone completely against their design philosophy and lied to all of us, I will not spend another dime on the game until they undo what I see as the huge mistake of the treadmill ascended gear.

I absolutely love the GW2 world and game play, and am sure everyone in this thread feels the same or they wouldn’t be here expressing their feelings for keeping the game they love to play how it is. I’s also sure we all love new content, and I thank you ArenaNet for the content, just not the new tier of gear. You could have made this new gear and made it a prestigious thing, have it have some really cool looks, effects, or something along those lines. I would have had no problems playing and working towards getting so really cool looking stuff, knowing I don’t have to stress to get it because the stats are better than what I have or it has stats I have to have to go further in the game.

In all honesty I am so upset by this, I have not had the urge to log online. I may get back on one day since it is FTP, however I will NEVER trust the word of ArenaNet again in this project or any future games they may be part of. Obviously they do not stick to their word, and as of yet have not apologized to the community that is in an uproar over this horrible idea of adding another tier of gear.

I hope ArenaNet sees they have made a mistake changes it and does a actual apology for lying to all of us about the direction the game was supposed to go.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

and here is an ascended ring with infusions: http://www.gw2db.com/items/71374-khilbrons-phylactery-infused

Ofc things can change in the future. I just made some calculations assuming they wouldn’t change it.

I’d love to see some calculations or somethign about how it will unbalance etc. I’m tired of people just assuming it will.

That’s a ring with built-in infusion/agony resist. That ring has no infusion slot. Other ascended items will have all of that PLUS an infusion slot, that takes an infusion upgrade. That infusion upgrade has infusion/agony-related stats AND also increases other base stats (like power, toughness, etc)

edit: upgrades like this one http://www.gw2db.com/items/72478-versatile-mighty-infusion
That is a low-level “fine” quality Infusion adding +5 to power, and we’ve already been told that exotic(and maybe even legendary) quality infusions will be added later.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

(edited by mrstealth.6701)

Posted by: rob.7645

rob.7645

I hope that is a joke or that gw2db is horribly wrong… Im so VERY disappointed.

Please compare it with the ‘regular’/exotic version:

http://www.gw2db.com/items/12819-berserkers-ring

(edited by rob.7645)

Pukknub.7368

That’s a ring with built-in infusion/agony resist. That ring has no infusion slot. Other ascended items will have all of that PLUS an infusion slot, that takes an infusion upgrade. That infusion upgrade has infusion/agony-related stats AND also increases other base stats (like power, toughness, etc)

if you check this img you can see a ring with similar stats but without the agony resist. And with an empty infusion slot.
https://d2vn94glaxzkz3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ascended-EN.png

I could be mistakes though. I don’t really give a kitten about this ascended gear tbh. And didn’t read a lot about it.
Other people seems to think it’s the end of the world though.

Pukknub

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

if you check this img you can see a ring with similar stats but without the agony resist. And with an empty infusion slot.
https://d2vn94glaxzkz3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ascended-EN.png

I could be mistakes though. I don’t really give a kitten about this ascended gear tbh. And didn’t read a lot about it.
Other people seems to think it’s the end of the world though.

Yes, that type of item is exactly the problem we are complaining about. It already has better stats than the exotic next to it, and will get even more stats when you add an infusion to it. Again, infusions are not just agony resist. http://www.gw2db.com/items/72478-versatile-mighty-infusion

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

(edited by mrstealth.6701)

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

So if most people are obviously against this, why do they still push it on us?

This doesn’t sound like the Anet we know.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I still think there some info we are missing things do not randomly happen if they never acted this way before then there is something up. The big thing i like to point out is if this is the only set they add in would it still be as bad?

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: mantrunks.4810

mantrunks.4810

I have a feeling it’s the same people posting on this forum, for all I am reading is the same people quoting eachother, and just spitting out the words again in a different form. It almost looks like high school again.

Just get the new gear and call it a day or stop playing. I’m pretty sure that ANET has already read the posts, if not the main “theme” of this thread, and will figure something out. They can’t just pull the plug on the ascended gear as it has the infusion aspect which would just make new dungeon even harder. They can’t just pull the plug on the new dungeon they spent hours on developing, coding, testing etc. There is no magic switch in programming and business.

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

I still think there some info we are missing things do not randomly happen if they never acted this way before then there is something up. The big thing i like to point out is if this is the only set they add in would it still be as bad?

Ncsoft and Nexon could be behind this, and Anet’s silence only….well it doesn’t prove it yet, but it certainly makes it more and more believable.

Really if I can’t trust Anet anymore I can’t trust any other company then :/

krookie.6378

Really if I can’t trust Anet anymore I can’t trust any other company then :/

Valve is pretty good. Gaben is the man! Runic is excellent too.

GADefence.5634

“They can’t just pull the plug on the new dungeon they spent hours on developing, coding, testing etc. There is no magic switch in programming and business.”

We’re not asking them to pull the plug on the new dungeon – just the new kitteny mechanic and armour they slapped together quickly to appeal the grind crowd.

It doesn’t take to long to code

“if instancearea == fractals apply agony”
“agonyupdate { targetplayer.hp -= .1%*(dungeon.difficulty – targetplayer.armour.infusiondefense > 0 ? 1 : dungeon.difficulty – target.player.armour.infusiondefense)}”
“ascended || armour { slots == new slot(infusion) }”

Posted by: trigger.6893

trigger.6893

I have a feeling it’s the same people posting on this forum, for all I am reading is the same people quoting eachother, and just spitting out the words again in a different form. It almost looks like high school again.

Just get the new gear and call it a day or stop playing. I’m pretty sure that ANET has already read the posts, if not the main “theme” of this thread, and will figure something out. They can’t just pull the plug on the ascended gear as it has the infusion aspect which would just make new dungeon even harder. They can’t just pull the plug on the new dungeon they spent hours on developing, coding, testing etc. There is no magic switch in programming and business.

Solutions for that already have been proposed : make ascended items the same stats as exotics.
It still wouldn’t solve the entire problem (which is ascended gear and agony system spreading through other content — future and existing), but it’d be a step in the right direction.
The next, harder step, would be to merge exotics and ascended together into the same tier (i.e. add an infusion slot to existing exotics, or at least a way to upgrade them cheaply and/or quickly).