Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Krebgoth.4603

Krebgoth.4603

Posted by: Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wintyre Fraust.6534

I see another potential problem here. If this turns out to be very bad, how can you trust any MMO company from now on?

Especially since ANET had a 7 year track record in GW1 of keeping the very same promises they made for GW2. If you can’t trust ANET, who can you trust?

They’ve just made it very, very hard for any future non-progression, alternate-mechanics MMO to succeed.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

If a thread with 190 pages of responses is dismissed and seen as the voice of the vocal minority.. then why have a forum as a mean of receiving feedback at all ?

I don’t know what you mean. Just yesterday the main PR guy and the lead game designer responded in a thread about how to change the new FoV back to the old one after 10 minutes. :|

Posted by: megrim.3189

megrim.3189

I’m just confused.

If they were concerned about a large gap between exotics and legendary items – (which I personally thought the dungeon and cultural armor sets filled nicely) – Why oh why didn’t they just give us more skins?. Same stats, new shiny sexy armory goodness to hunt. I cannot for a second fathom why they thought raising the stat ceiling was in any way a good idea.

Someone earlier made the comparison – it’s like releasing a sword in Guild Wars 1 that does ‘16-24’ damage. It’s an alien concept for a lot of us who have followed Anet from GW1’s early days. I’ve spent a decent amount of time telling people how awesome the Guild Wars franchise is based primarily on the concept of ‘skills, not gear’.

Don’t I feel stupid now.

Posted by: Karma.5987

Karma.5987

I keep thinking: this had to be motivated, and early on, by money worries.

But, they have a money making machine sitting idle, or predicated on bad gambling: the BLC chests and the new Consortium ones.

Instead of making a whole game philosophy switch, to we presume, keep a certain group of players happy and playing, and so spending money, why not fire up that money machine in the Gem Store?

If pure profit is needed give us town clothes, lots of them, and let us wear them in combat since armor type does not really matter right? Since there is no holy trinity, what does it matter? What does it matter in PVE what we are wearing?

Then, add TONS of actual outfits, dresses, everyday clothes, dress up clothes, costumes, for RP and just fun. Watch the $ signs show up.

Then, add more minis, weapon and armor skins.

For new content, FIRST fix what you have. Then, add better designed, dynamic dungeons, DE’s, mini dungeons, dragon encounters. New mini areas like Lost Shores with new DE’s, hearts, objectives. New rewards: let anything in the store have a chance to drop in the world. We see that really cool town outfit out in the world, and one piece of it drops? We will buy the rest. Money to you.

Anet has the creativity and vision to have made new content that would have added depth. Then, add a hardcore dungeon that would allow the grinders to go after weapon or armor skins that could ONLY be gotten there. They can show off their shinies, and others can ignore them. Play like we want. Simple.

Fire up that money machine. Fix what you have. Add depth content.

Why could that not have happened? Why?

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

There are a couple things here that are slapping Fans in the face. It goes against the president’s set by GW1, the game was marketed to break traditional MMO molds, Vertical progression with cosmetic gear upgrades were also preached over the course of development. A Tier of gear being added to an MMO without a level increase is not the norm. And this feels like a paradigm shift just 3 months into the game.

I don’t know how accurate this is but the new Armor tier is out on the GWDB now and it appears and Infusions will also have a stat as well as the Agony Resistance so it’s more them “a little” increase.
Adelbern’s Royal Signet Ring (Infused)
+51 Power
+72 Toughness
+4% Critcal Damage
Ring
Required Level: 80
Infusion
+32 Toughness
+18 Power
+4% Critical Damage
+5 Agony Resistances

Who thinks the current level 80 content is going to have to be beefed up to accommodate this new gear?

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

I am very excited for this patch! ArenaNet along with some of the playerbase understand that things need to change for the better!

ArenaNet has indeed listen to the players and is giving us a new goal to work for! Along with new content!
MMO’s are always changing and adding in new things! After all how much fun would it be if they just released it then never did anything new with it. It would get very stale very fast. (Like it has in Guild Wars 2 hence the additions and changes!)
And GW2 would turn into a single player game with more live people in it.

For those people who understand and are just as excited as I am, hope to see you in game! For those others who are in unhappy, I am sorry that you are leaving or going back to GW1.

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

This discussion has already happened a thousand times.

The obstacle is the path.

Posted by: cephiroth.6182

cephiroth.6182

Too bad ignore lists are still not working on this forum. Who pays you for praying the same crap every now and then, MrLee?

Posted by: Miragee.3604

Miragee.3604

The Infusions have Stats beside Agonyresistence, too. And they are only fine (blue). There comes more in the future, probably not that cheap and far better statwise. I’m getting sick with this. -.-

For those people who understand and are just as excited as I am, hope to see you in game! For those others who are in unhappy, I am sorry that you are leaving or going back to GW1.

Give us new content than…………….. I wouldn’t mind switching back to a game which ist actually unique and not some lame copy of other games before.

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

I am very excited for this patch! ArenaNet along with some of the playerbase understand that things need to change for the better!

ArenaNet has indeed listen to the players and is giving us a new goal to work for! Along with new content!
MMO’s are always changing and adding in new things! After all how much fun would it be if they just released it then never did anything new with it. It would get very stale very fast. (Like it has in Guild Wars 2 hence the additions and changes!)

Oh my god.

Exclamation marks are neither pack-animals nor the only form of punctuation. It’s funny that I found that most of the time, the number of exclamation marks used is inversely equivalent to how serious a text can be taken.

Posted by: Sorkas.1865

Sorkas.1865

Had to comment on this one even after over 9000 other posts since although I dont normally post a lot this hits a nerve with me

I am a casual, but regular player (every day 2-3 hours)
We have 4 GW2 accounts in our home since the whole family has enjoyed it so much
and we have spend some other real cash on extra bank and character slots since we are having so much fun with alts etc due to the variety of regions and professions/builds

I have never collaborated with other players to achieve goals as much as I have in guild wars 2 and I was looking forward to seeing this continue in later levels with additional content / cosmetic loot and achievements etc

The idea of creating incremental tiers of grind-required gear as your price of admittance to dungeons may appeal to a small number of players but I am dreading seeing the gear grinding hamster wheel of WOW mentality moving into GW2 design and seeing a move to a gear score like mentality

I strongly agree with previous poster – i.e. lets focus on skills development – not gear score as the differentiator – and create very cool looking gear which can show what a player has achieved without excluding people who dont have time for a gear grind from new dungeons .

Tarnished Coast
Direclaw Foerender – Guardian
Moonclaw Emberblast – Engineer

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

I’ve been thinking…ArenaNet doesn’t listen to what people say in a thread like this. They ignore it. They believe this is a “mob mentality” situation, and that although people are getting themselves really worked up, players will keep playing and it will slowly blow over. They are just combining all the posts and threads together, and letting it stew.

They considered the various aspects of this decision very carefully. ArenaNet believes that although the core long-time fans of the franchise will make a big stink, they will keep playing. I’m sure they were well aware that completely changing their stated design philosophy would cause an uproar. They knew this would happen and made the change anyway…because they believe it will amount to nothing in terms of how much people play and how much money they spend. They believe they will gain more players with this move than they lose, so they did it. Purely business.

The only “feedback” that really hits home and that ArenaNet will listen to is what you DO, not anything you can say. If enough players stop playing, they may change their mind. Maybe the best thing we could do is organize a protest… spend this weekend in the center of Divinity’s Reach instead of taking part in the event… that sort of thing. If enough people are truly willing to stop playing this game due to the change, they will have to listen. If you feel strongly about this, actions speak louder than words.

Otherwise, if people just express sadness and anger and keep right on playing, this is all just a lot of hot air and ArenaNet is right to ignore us. Next time they consider this type of change (raids? trinity?) they are going to have even more evidence that their fans are pushovers and will take whatever they get served, even if they grumble a bit while they eat it.

(edited by Fozzik.1742)

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

Hey MrLee, I completely understand your enthusiasm and share it in regards to the addition of new content! I don’t think anyone in this thread would say they don’t want a new dungeon or new lands to explore – that is not what the crux of the issue is here.

The issue is that this company has lied to us about adding in vertical progression in the form of a gear treadmill and that is wrong. Are you so oblivious to the fact that you love this game that you are OK with being lied to? Maybe you are. I love this game as well, I love the community and I want what’s best for it. Being mislead and misinformed by the company is not my idea of fair business practice and that is why myself and many others are upset.

So before anyone goes off spouting that you are happy – take a second and please understand that you are happy that you were lied to! They decided to change the core mechanics and philosophy of the game you originally purchased (3 months ago mind you). Get informed and understand why a good majority of the people in this thread are upset.

Posted by: Andlat Helsonr.1284

Andlat Helsonr.1284

If a thread with 190 pages of responses is dismissed and seen as the voice of the vocal minority.. then why have a forum as a mean of receiving feedback at all ?

I don’t know what you mean. Just yesterday the main PR guy and the lead game designer responded in a thread about how to change the new FoV back to the old one after 10 minutes. :|

What I am saying is that some people say that this thread is the voice of the vocal minority – my point is that if feedback threads of this size are ignored and seen as the work of a vocal minority, then why care to have feedback threads at all. The A-net team mainly responds to some technical issues and questions abpot game mechanics – they are not too active when it comes to feedback threads.

Hope this clarifies what I meant.

Lothair.8942

What I am saying is that some people say that this thread is the voice of the vocal minority – my point is that if feedback threads of this size are ignored and seen as the work of a vocal minority, then why care to have feedback threads at all. The A-net team mainly responds to some technical issues and questions abpot game mechanics – they are not too active when it comes to feedback threads.

They don’t want to touch this thread with a 10 foot pole. It’s already losing steam compared to a few days ago. Everything has been said – I’m sure they are happily content to let it die a slow death. They tried to reach out to us through fake blog posts and a live chat where they answered nothing, they don’t want 2 way communication on this issue. It’s done people, over with.

The only thing you can do is show them how angry you are and stop supporting this product financially. Keep your head up and keep the conversation going.

Posted by: krieb.6039

krieb.6039

Was hoping gw2 would also be a game about skill, not about getting OP gear like that other MMO with pandas.

The new stuff isn’t in the game yet so it’s hard to say yet, but imo it doesn’t seem right to contradict the manifesto that attracted many players to this game.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

The thread would have more “steam” if there was as many naysayers still posting in it. Now that the patch is out and items have been found, it seems the pool of people in favor of the patch is diminishing :o

Posted by: Kor.3906

Kor.3906

The ascended gear really is a huge motivational letdown. Yesterday I was thrilled to get my third lvl80 exotic item and I had fun earning it and was hopefully looking towards playing some WvWvW in the near future. But with the implementation of the ascended tier I really dont see any point in trying it, due to the soon-to-be differences and advantages of players in gear perfomance, in contrast to fair-for-all methods like strategy, tactics and quick but meaningful decisions to win the favor of a battle.

Please either remove ascended gear promptly, or:

Give WvWvW the same gear as sPvP with easy and cheaply obtainable options to customize one’s look. That way you do not even have to remove ascended gear. Another way of evenig out many players dissatisfaction with ascended items would be to make ascended items to only being a cosmetical difference to exotics, but without advantages over the perfectly placed exotics. The way it is now is just unfair to those who cannot grind dungeons all day long but who want to enjoy PvP. Please stick to your promises you made for this game.

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

Too bad ignore lists are still not working on this forum. Who pays you for praying the same crap every now and then, MrLee?

Whoever it is! Needs to explain! To him! That! Excessive! Enthusiastic! Punctuation! Makes you sound like a crazy person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Lothair.8942

Was hoping gw2 would also be a game about skill, not about getting OP gear like that other MMO with pandas.

The new stuff isn’t in the game yet so it’s hard to say yet, but imo it doesn’t seem right to contradict the manifesto that attracted many players to this game.

The new stuff is indeed in the game – look at it here:
http://www.gw2db.com/items?filter-item-date-added=11%2f15%2f2012

Look how powerful some of those items are in comparison with what we have now. How in your right mind are you supposed to compete without grinding for these new items?

ASB.4295

I was trying to be sarcastic and emphasize the fact that they’re trying to respond to issues they know will paint them in a positive light. Yea, they are doing something against botting and trying to solve problems and bugs. Yappity yap yap. What line could they possibly feed us in this case that won’t incite more disappointment and anger?

Exactly, so they remain quiet. They said everything they want to say in the blog posts and interview(and one forum post I think). We know their stance. Their silence basically means “Take it or leave it”.

Posted by: Andlat Helsonr.1284

Andlat Helsonr.1284

I was trying to be sarcastic and emphasize the fact that they’re trying to respond to issues they know will paint them in a positive light. Yea, they are doing something against botting and trying to solve problems and bugs. Yappity yap yap. What line could they possibly feed us in this case that won’t incite more disappointment and anger?

Exactly, so they remain quiet. They said everything they want to say in the blog posts and interview(and one forum post I think). We know their stance. Their silence basically means “Take it or leave it”.

Your previous post makes more sense now that I know it was sarcastic :p. Thanks ofr the clarification. I agree with you on your points.

Corvindi.5734

The new stuff is indeed in the game – look at it here:
http://www.gw2db.com/items?filter-item-date-added=11%2f15%2f2012

Look how powerful some of those items are in comparison with what we have now. How in your right mind are you supposed to compete without grinding for these new items?

I’m not even going to try. Not going near WvW until I can get this gear some other way. And since the GW2 version of the raiding crowd will have it all first, that means not trying to get it by doing WvW. Which means it will have to be through crafting.

And since I’m not spending a dime on gems for this gear I never wanted to have to get in the first place, I reckon that means I’m going to have to get very rich somehow in my alt wanderings. Unlikely, the way I see it, very unlikely. This game has gone from the centerpiece of my MMO activities to, ‘meh, I’ll log in and goof off’ with one foul patch.

Edit- I suppose it’s barely possible we’ll be able to buy it with karma at some point, but by then if the GW2 ‘raiders’ are working on the next tier of gear, WvW wiill still be pointless for those of us who don’t grind dungeons.

~ArenaNet

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

I am waiting for the first dev to jump ship and spill their guts all over the Internet. They must be watching each other like hawks

This kind of mess is not something you want on your cv and the quicker you get out and blame everyone else the better – so what’s the betting early next week or later?

Tick tock

Unlikely to happen. Even if a developer does depart Arena Net, they’ll be legally bound by NDA’s that often persist for a good few years.

Posted by: FaultWeeyam.4302

FaultWeeyam.4302

I’m a bit old to rage-quit, but I haven’t played since they announced the introduction of ascended gear. And that’s not because I wanted to boycott them or anything, it’s just I don’t have the same drive to log on and play.

This fiasco has demotivated me completely. Instead of being excited for the new content (which I was before I read of the brand new threadmill) I’m looking at the GW2 icon but I don’t really feel any will to double-click it.

This is exactly me too Urxx. What a shame they did this, completely demotivating.

Same. I logged on once, but was so completely demotivated, i logged off 5 min later. What normally captivated me for hours depressed me out in 5 minutes

Nobody’s completely useless; they can always serve as a bad example

Posted by: Northlander.4619

Northlander.4619

I don’t mind Ascended gear to be honest. It looks to me like the stat boost is rather minor when comparing the stats to regular exotic gear. Actually I’m more annoyed that apparently I can’t slot sigils into them and for example my ranger is built to utilize Sigil of Fire.

Also both of my level 80 characters run mostly on masterwork (green) gear and I’m able to do even harder content like dungeons (i.e. Arah) just fine. I don’t really see the ascended gear changing that.

I’m more interested in their cool looks so I’m not going to start raging if something offers 10 points more in individual stats than exotic gear does currently.

Posted by: FaultWeeyam.4302

FaultWeeyam.4302

Link or it didn’t happen, I’ve only seen the one PR announcement bs pretty much saying they’re going to ignore the negative comments and go through with it anyways. It would have been better if they’d said nothing at all instead of trying to forcefeed us their lies.

Nobody’s completely useless; they can always serve as a bad example

Posted by: Eijolend.2485

Eijolend.2485

This killed PvE. I don’t understand at all why they are doing this. The shady explanation found here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/A-message-from-our-Studio-Design-Director-Chris-Whiteside/first#post721451 doesn’t really change anything.
No matter how your word it – this is not horizontal progression. This is mandatory gear progression.
Why ArenaNet? – Why?

Posted by: phanmc.6759

phanmc.6759

In Economics, late comers (GW2) are very often not able to compete with established fist generation industries (WoW). Quite honestly I admire Anet wanting to take the fight to Stormwind, but the smart money was on all of us ex-WoW players who been there, done that, have jobs and families who are no longer able (or interested) to keep up with the 14 or 15 tiers of gear required to raid currently.

In economics that’s called diversification…where if you are one of the few, or the only company who has diverged into a niche (horizontal progression), you will make money hand over fist, even if you don’t have the subscription numbers of Blizzard. Why? because you are not competing for the same audience.

Its actually pretty depressing watching all of this happen 2 weeks after I decided to make the switch and cancel WoW, TSW and SWTOR.

According to James Phinney, lead designer of StarCraft and Guild Wars, every great game starts with one question: “What do I want to play next?”. This may seem an obvious statement, but his point is that designers are often asked to make a game that is specifically designed to be “better” than a successful game from a competitor, rather than making a game that is exciting and new. How many designers have been asked to make a “GTA killer”, or a “Guitar Hero killer”, or a “WoW killer”? I personally have heard numerous designers and producers working on unreleased MMO projects describe their game in these terms: “It’s like WoW, but…” I just shake my head when I hear this, because the team that is best poised to deliver a successful game that is an evolution of WoW is… well, the WoW team. They’ve got their thing, and they’re good at it. Let’s all carve out our own thing, and be the best at it. Truly great games are made by passionate teams who are on fire with the notion of changing the industry. If you are aiming at a competitor rather than aiming to make something fresh and innovative, you’ve lost.

-Jeff Strain, Co-Founder of Anet
How to Create a Successful MMO

It seems Anet lost their ways when they lost some of their leadership.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

I don’t mind Ascended gear to be honest. It looks to me like the stat boost is rather minor when comparing the stats to regular exotic gear. Actually I’m more annoyed that apparently I can’t slot sigils into them and for example my ranger is built to utilize Sigil of Fire.

Also both of my level 80 characters run mostly on masterwork (green) gear and I’m able to do even harder content like dungeons (i.e. Arah) just fine. I don’t really see the ascended gear changing that.

I’m more interested in their cool looks so I’m not going to start raging if something offers 10 points more in individual stats than exotic gear does currently.

Don’t worry it looks like infusions will have stats too …. you can grind for hours now or just buy a ton of gold from Arena Net and buy it all of the TP

Infusion
+32 Toughness
+18 Power
+4% Critical Damage
+5 Agony Resistances

Wintyre Fraust.6534

The only “feedback” that really hits home and that ArenaNet will listen to is what you DO, not anything you can say. If enough players stop playing, they may change their mind. Maybe the best thing we could do is organize a protest… spend this weekend in the center of Divinity’s Reach instead of taking part in the event… that sort of thing. If enough people are truly willing to stop playing this game due to the change, they will have to listen. If you feel strongly about this, actions speak louder than words.

Actually, they’ve made it really easy to stop playing, because I think for most of us who bought this game because of the lack of gear treadmill, we just don’t care to log in anymore. I haven’t logged in since I heard of this a couple of days ago.

In fact, I WISH I could log in and enjoy my beloved characters and that beautiful scenery and that fun combat system. I really wish I could. After all, it’s not like I have to spend any more money on what I’ve already invested so much time in.

But the thought of logging into the game and giving ANET any semblance of support just by being there makes me sick, which is pretty much how I got with WoW at the end.

Posted by: Mike.9185

Mike.9185

if they didnt add gear than we would have had a thousand posts saying “whats the point of new content if the stats are the same QQ” theres new stuff to do that is more challenging thus requires better rewards.

why would you do an insanely hard dungeon (fractals of the mists) if you get the same awards grinding an easy 1

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

There are a couple things here that are slapping Fans in the face. It goes against the president’s set by GW1, the game was marketed to break traditional MMO molds, Vertical progression with cosmetic gear upgrades were also preached over the course of development. A Tier of gear being added to an MMO without a level increase is not the norm. And this feels like a paradigm shift just 3 months into the game.

I don’t know how accurate this is but the new Armor tier is out on the GWDB now and it appears and Infusions will also have a stat as well as the Agony Resistance so it’s more them “a little” increase.
Adelbern’s Royal Signet Ring (Infused)
+51 Power
+72 Toughness
+4% Critcal Damage
Ring
Required Level: 80
Infusion
+32 Toughness
+18 Power
+4% Critical Damage
+5 Agony Resistances

Who thinks the current level 80 content is going to have to be beefed up to accommodate this new gear?

Yeah.
http://i50.tinypic.com/fxro5.png
And that’s only fine infusions, there’ll probably be some with higher rarity and better stats later.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

Good luck doing more and more new content that requires infusions. Fractals are just the first step in that direction, and guess what? Infusions are only available on ascended gear.

Do you really think they would have developed this whole new tier without thinking of ways to make it increasingly essential?

According to them ascended gear was necessary to solve this horrible “Legendary Wall” issue that nobody ever complained about on these forums, so they are making sure everybody who wants to enjoy new content will have to take the pink pill.

Lindsay Murdock:

Players who wish to delve deep into the Fractals will find that Agony makes progress increasingly difficult, until they reach the point where some defense against this condition is a must.

Posted by: Zynthetic.2954

Zynthetic.2954

People have thrown numbers between 8% to 60% increase over existing exotics. That’s a lot, hardly minor. Especially when you consider many people are already fully geared, and all that gear is about to become completely redundant.

In addition, you will eventually hit a roadblock with the new gear, as to how far in the dungeon you can go due to the agony resistance. Agony does ever increasing damage as more content is released.

So while you can do Arah in sub-par gear now, you won’t be able to do future instances, or complete the new one, without grinding out the new agony resistance, which as many have noted, takes an extremely long time.

So yeah, the new gear does make a difference, both in stats, and how everyone plays the game.

….. Need a page on reddit or something that has a summary of all the changes, and what it all means, rather then forcing people to sift through a soon to be 200 page thread to find information and clarification.

Tarnished Coast - Principality of New Katulus [PiNK]
Commander Zynergise – 80 Hammer Guardian

Posted by: Slic.2406

Slic.2406

if they didnt add gear than we would have had a thousand posts saying “whats the point of new content if the stats are the same QQ” theres new stuff to do that is more challenging thus requires better rewards.

why would you do an insanely hard dungeon (fractals of the mists) if you get the same awards grinding an easy 1

Oh, I don’t know. They could reward you with TON of t6 mats each time you complete the more difficult fractals? They also could reward you with guaranteed precursor drops if you finish them under some time limit. There’s so many ways they could’ve added more options for horizontal progression, but they chose this instead.

They’re not going to survive this, not if they go through with it. And it looks like they ARE going through with it. I hope to have enough players to kill in pvp 1 last time, before I quit.

It’s set in stone that I cannot stay for long – I’m the last of my 30+ friends who played since beta, the remainder of which all promptly quit when they heard of the gear treadmill.

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

Hey MrLee, I completely understand your enthusiasm and share it in regards to the addition of new content! I don’t think anyone in this thread would say they don’t want a new dungeon or new lands to explore – that is not what the crux of the issue is here.

The issue is that this company has lied to us about adding in vertical progression in the form of a gear treadmill and that is wrong. Are you so oblivious to the fact that you love this game that you are OK with being lied to? Maybe you are. I love this game as well, I love the community and I want what’s best for it. Being mislead and misinformed by the company is not my idea of fair business practice and that is why myself and many others are upset.

So before anyone goes off spouting that you are happy – take a second and please understand that you are happy that you were lied to! They decided to change the core mechanics and philosophy of the game you originally purchased (3 months ago mind you). Get informed and understand why a good majority of the people in this thread are upset.

I understand that we were lied too. Is there anything I can do about it? Yes and no.

In the October 7th patch notes the Rangers (my toon) got a nerf. In the patch notes it said “Increased casting time by 40 milliseconds. This was done to fix some glitches in the animation that caused problems with this skill.”
What it turned out to be was a 10% damage nerf with the shortbow.
The patch notes never said anything about a DPS reduction, just that this was done due to a animation glitch. IMO AN was not very honest about this and thus a lot of Rangers felt lied too. After that happened we didn’t hear anything from AN for weeks.

I felt lied to also back when this happened. But what could I do about it? Along with many other people I posted how unhappy we where with this change. (And with the new Ranger Patch coming out today, I am again disappointed).

For me to rant and rave and show how upset I was would do no good. I adapted and I accepted the change in hopes that someday it would be corrected or other skills would be boosted.

When I see how mad people get in these forums over and over I don’t understand it. Sure you are unhappy about it, but they haven’t even played the content yet. Who knows they might even like it!
People say how much of a grind it is, but when looking at the whole picture everything in this game is a big grind.
I have also noticed that a lot of people are unhappy about Guild Wars 2 endgame, and I understand why they made the change. Do i agree with it? No, but I understand why they did it.

When it all comes down to it am I still having fun while playing Guild Wars 2? If I am still having fun then they will continue to get my business. If not then I will move on and play something else. But I am not going to give a knee jerk reaction for something I haven’t even tried to do yet or heard/seen more of.
People are WAY out of control on this. Something from minor things to picking on someones exclamation points in a post to out right saying how much they hate someone or the game. You always have that choice to say something then learn to accept or don’t.

Posted by: frogshake.2419

frogshake.2419

Actually, they’ve made it really easy to stop playing, because I think for most of us who bought this game because of the lack of gear treadmill, we just don’t care to log in anymore. I haven’t logged in since I heard of this a couple of days ago.

In fact, I WISH I could log in and enjoy my beloved characters and that beautiful scenery and that fun combat system. I really wish I could. After all, it’s not like I have to spend any more money on what I’ve already invested so much time in.

I feel exactly the same way. I really want to still enjoy the game but somehow I can’t bring myself to fire it up again. Played for a few minutes this morning but then just logged off – enthusiasm gone. Completely. Was looking forward to the expansion and incidentally it’s my day off today and yet I’m not playing. What really took the cake today was that laughable patch.

I guess the only way for Anet to learn is to fail hard. Well, my wallet will remain closed.

Corvindi.5734

So, before I start leveling my necro cook (doesn’t that combo make you wince?), are there currently any recipes or mats in the Craptal dungeons that will destroy cooking for those of us who have no intention of grinding those dungeons?

~ArenaNet

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

To those of you saying “I thought this game was about skill not gear,” why don’t you try sucking in your new Ascended gear and see how well that works? For a game to be about gear, not skill, would mean bad players (no skill) could still do well because gear makes up for their lack of skill.

Do you really think this is the case with Ascended gear? And due to down-leveling, would it ever be the case?

So for the sake of the community please spare us the overblown soundbites. They do not help this conversation at all.

The obstacle is the path.

Posted by: alanis.6094

alanis.6094

For fun, the challenge, cool skins, and a fancy title.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>
Since 1994 – undeadlords.net

Slic.2406

To those of you saying “I thought this game was about skill not gear,” why don’t you try sucking in your new Ascended gear and see how well that works? For a game to be about gear, not skill, would mean bad players (no skill) could still do well because gear makes up for their lack of skill.

Do you really think this is the case with Ascended gear? And due to down-leveling, would it ever be the case?

So for the sake of the community please spare us the overblown soundbites. They do not help this conversation at all.

I’m going to once again use the berserker exo vs berserker ascended spiel. exo zerker is 50% crit 104% crit dmg, you can 2-3 hit (with autoattacks) anyone whos geared in less than rares. Now, ascended will have around 150% crit damage and 5-10% more crit, if we extrapolate the stat increases in rings/back to all other trinkets/weapons/etc. And they ARE adding more ascended gear.

So what do you have now? Anyone in less than exotics in WvW will get 2hit. Anyone with exotics only will get 3-4 hit with autos if enough of them crit.

Does this sound like an even playing field at all? Does this sound like those stat differences do not matter? 50% more crit damage from zerker, and god knows what else for other stat combos. I’d say it’s even worse with condition builds and tanky builds (unkillable by anything below exo, insanely hard to kill by exo only).

All of a sudden it’s not so trivial anymore, right? Can you imagine the exponential increase in effectiveness, when talking about hitting dumb AI instead of living, thinking players? PvE is even more toast than WvW.

(edited by Slic.2406)

Corvindi.5734

I’m going to once again use the berserker exo vs berserker ascended spiel. exo zerker is 50% crit 104% crit dmg, you can 2-3 hit (with autoattacks) anyone whos geared in less than rares. Now, ascended will have around 150% crit damage and 5-10% more crit, if we extrapolate the stat increases in rings/back to all other trinkets/weapons/etc. And they ARE adding more ascended gear.

So what do you have now? Anyone in less than exotics in WvW will get 2hit. Anyone with exotics only will get 3-4 hit with autos if enough of them crit.

Does this sound like an even playing field at all? Does this sound like those stat differences do not matter? 50% more crit damage from zerker, and god knows what else for other stat combos. I’d say it’s even worse with condition builds and tanky builds (unkillable by anything below exo, insanely hard to kill by exo only).

All of a sudden it’s not so trivial anymore, right?

Yep. Anet better hope these GW2 ‘raiders’ who love their dungeons so much also love WvW, because they’ll soon be the only ones filling it.

~ArenaNet

Posted by: Snerf.1650

Snerf.1650

I’d just like to make one final post to convey my extreme disappointment in Anet for not only pushing this through, but showing no authentic attempt to have genuine two-way conversation about the changes. They never once tried to answer the solid vertical progression questions asked dozens of times here and elsewhere. They simply dismissed our concerns and claimed that we were wrong. Well, the patch is here now and we were not only correct, but we somehow managed to understate their conviction to this new vertical gear treadmill path.

I’ve been a longtime player of Anet games, and made huge attempts to recruit numerous people over the years. I’ve loved GW1 and many, many facets of GW2. The art style is wonderful, the exploration refreshing, and the world alive.

However, this extraordinary about-face in design will not only result in me permanently leaving, but all of those guild and real world contacts as well. That’s many a gem that would have been gladly bought to support Anet’s original vision and manifesto.

We were promised a break from the treadmill. An alternate to the mundane mmo. That’s what drew us here, and ultimately now pushes us away.

Best of luck to all. We tried to fight the good fight.

ASB.4295

Link or it didn’t happen, I’ve only seen the one PR announcement bs pretty much saying they’re going to ignore the negative comments and go through with it anyways. It would have been better if they’d said nothing at all instead of trying to forcefeed us their lies.

One of the FoV threads got merged into the patch feedback thread, but Colin J’s post is still there:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Patch-Feedback-merged-1/page/6

And Martin K’s reply on another thread with the same subject:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Oh-no-zooming-they-made-it-worse-for-me/first#post755059

Slic.2406

One of the FoV threads got merged into the patch feedback thread, but Colin J’s post is still there:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Patch-Feedback-merged-1/page/6

And Martin K’s reply on another thread with the same subject:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Oh-no-zooming-they-made-it-worse-for-me/first#post755059

They have time/money/resource to spend on such a detailed research about FOV, and cannot even once make a non-vague reply to the countless posts on gear treadmill?

Yeah, they’re avoiding the issue, they want to toss us out and hope that players who enjoy the grind will sustain their finances.

I hate to break it to them, but if they read this. The content locusts only really pay when you FORCE them to pay with something like a monthly sub. They would rather spend 100+hrs getting something than spend a dollar to get it in 10 seconds. That is what the content locusts are, and anet is making a huge mistake thinking they will provide more finance than those of us turned away.

Posted by: Strifetoe.4502

Strifetoe.4502

Oh for the love of God, please stop posting on this thread, they are releasing it and theres nothing anyone can do..quit if you dont like it…you bought the game they have your money already. The people who dont like gear progression will quit and the people who do will start playing.

Wintyre Fraust.6534

The problem is, this isn’t just a betrayal of trust and a black mark for Anet – it really poisons the well for any future developer trying to create an unconventional MMOG without vertical progression or a standard end-game.

I go into more depth here at my blog on MMORPG.com.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Meleagar/112012/24212

Posted by: Intigo.1653

Intigo.1653

This is a complete and utter joke.

http://i.imgur.com/TkNJI.png

You have efficiently alienated a large portion of your player base with this decision. I was so excited for this update, but this has completely tarnished my experience.

I am truly disappointed in a company I held in very high esteem, ArenaNet. Saddening.

80 Asura Elementalist – [Red Guard]
http://www.youtube.com/user/IntigoGW2