Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: gamefreak.5673

gamefreak.5673

Wow it keeps getting better… I just found out that because I couldn’t log in 7 hours ago for the final event, I missed out on a free, one-time uber accessory which will cost 1000 shells or about 20 gold (based on current trading post prices) otherwise.

So now, you not only have to be a “dedicated player” running FotM 24×7, you need to log in at specific times too? Seriously… what the hell happened.

It is not uber. It is an accessory with no strong point and just spread out stats all over the place.

That can be a good thing for some builds btw. Not saying it works for everyone but some class’s builds would do wonders with it. My hybrid power/condition necro for one.

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

Wow it keeps getting better… I just found out that because I couldn’t log in 7 hours ago for the final event, I missed out on a free, one-time uber accessory which will cost 1000 shells or about 20 gold (based on current trading post prices) otherwise.

So now, you not only have to be a “dedicated player” running FotM 24×7, you need to log in at specific times too? Seriously… what the hell happened.

It is not uber. It is an accessory with no strong point and just spread out stats all over the place.

That can be a good thing for some builds btw. Not saying it works for everyone but some class’s builds would do wonders with it. My hybrid power/condition necro for one.

i dont think the karka shell is so uber. its good exotic for sure, but i prefer to keep my emeralds exotics accesory , instead of that one.

The ascended problem is a whole different story

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: Cromag.7195

Cromag.7195

I am out, this game did a complete U-Turn on it’s initial ideas and promising concepts.

Sad, that is only sad. Another game adds itself to the numerous WoW clones. I hope you WoW guys which made your voice heard here, wanting such stuff are happy.

Vertical item progression and insane amounts of materials for 1 infusion, which are also tiered.

Refund ordered.

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

Where can i order a refund didnt find anything?

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

Where can i order a refund didnt find anything?

Here.

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

Posted by: Gombar.7324

Gombar.7324

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

So i still waiting that i can buy these items by using badges or karma. Any info?

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Ganzo.5079

I was thinking about this move the last night and… i dont know if its a NCsoft\nexon move, because its simply..dumb..

These 2 houses have a grind playerbase, and they offer only grindy games.
So there is no sense in this shift direction, because instaed of offer a different service to collect a new players base (the gw2 concept) they simply shift this game, for the existing playerbase. So no real gain i suppose.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
LOL

(edited by Ganzo.5079)

Posted by: Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wintyre Fraust.6534

If ANET had any decency, they’d have conducted a log-in poll shortly after this Ascended scandal began. Unfortunately, if they conducted one now, they will be missing quite a number of people that have quit and already uninstalled the game.

But the lack of any serious attempt to get reliable, statistically significant customer input on the matter shows that the industry hasn’t learned anything from the SWG-NGE fiasco or the CCP fiasco that almost took EVE down.

Gombar.7324

If ANET had any decency, they’d have conducted a log-in poll shortly after this Ascended scandal began. Unfortunately, if they conducted one now, they will be missing quite a number of people that have quit and already uninstalled the game.

But the lack of any serious attempt to get reliable, statistically significant customer input on the matter shows that the industry hasn’t learned anything from the SWG-NGE fiasco or the CCP fiasco that almost took EVE down.

SW:TOR, Vanguard, WAR and AOC says hello too……….

Wintyre Fraust.6534

Hey, I’ve got the top three blogs at http://www.MMORPG.com right now, and theyr’e all about this (yes, I’m Meleagar):

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Meleagar/072009/24187_Sadly-ANET-Blows-It

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Meleagar/072009/24212_The-GW2-Debacle-More-Than-A-Matter-of-Lost-Trust

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Meleagar/072009/24188_ANET-Is-Lying-To-Us

Please go in and upvote them. Feel free to cross post them at other sites. Maybe we can turn up the heat enough to get something done about this.

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

Okay, I’m going to stop playing for a couple days. Maybe .. maybe longer, if Arena-net doesn’t at least respond to this issue. ADEQUATELY respond, I mean.

No more vague ‘new gear progression!’, no more ‘we refuse to say this is the end!’ no more avoiding the question of how this exclusive, grindy, elitist bull fits into the bill of goods we were sold – the manifesto’s inclusive, non-grindy, non-elitist ideal.

I bought the manifesto’s game. Refund page bookmarked.

Posted by: Gibbel.5734

Gibbel.5734

As of Now

“This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content. As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game. Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content.”

- Lindsey Murdock, Game Designer

3 Months Earlier

http://venturebeat.c...s:guildwars2-16

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

As of Now

“This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content. As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game. Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content.”

3 Months Earlier

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

Quoting Anet. That’s a no, no! Infraction incoming!

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

Posted by: arcaneclarity.5283

arcaneclarity.5283

The funny thing is, my forum account was temporarily suspended without an additional infraction added with the reason of that I got too many infractions. Figure that one out.

(edited by arcaneclarity.5283)

Gombar.7324

As of Now

3 Months Earlier

^ This, so much this!

Posted by: Fate.1458

Fate.1458

I logged in today hoping to make some progress on my legendary and a runic blade..god I want that runic blade. But deep down, I couldn’t stay logged in for more than 5 minutes.

Because I know that if I were to ever get a runic blade, it would be overshadowed by ascended gear. I would be farming for 2 things. A skin and then the stats.

What is going to happen to all the prestigious exotic items that players have poured their lives into? When I first heard of the Triforge pendant, I poured all my time and effort into getting it. Now what? Is there an ascended amulet out there that completely overshadows it? Apparently there is a ring similar to it. So why not an amulet too.

Please remove ascended gear. Or just talk to us. Please. This thread is the largest thread I have seen in any game for a long time. And seeing no official response worries me that we have been left in the dark and will just have to get used to it.

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

Without saying much, I think it’s been communicated to us that there was a shift in power and direction within this company. Whether it was Nexon, NCsoft or even just ANET who decided these changes were necessary for the longevity of this game, it doesn’t matter. Straight up, we were lied to. Bottom line. I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, but don’t go off the cliff with this stuff.

The sad thing is, if there had been some two-way communication and real talk with the customer base prior to these changes, they probably would have saved myself (and others) as a customer.

I took a stab at the new content last night, the new dungeon is fun and interactive and while I was doing it I felt sick the entire time. I would have done this over and over again just for fun – there was no need to add a mandatory treadmill to this content – nor did they need to “gate” the dungeon by levels and further the gap between hardcore & casual – the community is now split in one fell swoop.

Just some really stupid business moves, in my opinion.

I’m past the point of refund, since I was a very early supporter – however, this company will never see another dime from me.

I vehemently promise you that, ANET.

Posted by: Harbard.5738

Harbard.5738

3 Months Earlier

People should start pasting this left and right

Give me game. Not grind, not gating, not RNG, not +stat junk, not checklists.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

• Downgrade Ascended to legendary gear with Exotic stats.
    *Only Agony resistance on Infusion slots
    *Add Infusion slot to all exotic gear and legendary gear.

This still give players progression through agony. And future
content can still be tied to agony.

Exotics/legendary gear/better agony will be you reward in
endless dungeons and future content.

This also creates more endgame for people who want to put a
agony on all their exotics.

Gombar.7324

What is interesting is that usually ANet is pretty fast to come out and PR the stuff that has just ended…this time, not so much as a word have been posted on the blog, FB, here or anywhere else….not a word at all.

Posted by: Tijo.9857

Tijo.9857

makes too much sense, and solves the worry of wvw players who are not too happy to be at a disadvantage vs PVE geared players.

Posted by: xerxys.2635

xerxys.2635

that’s a lie , in wvw is all about the zerg, armor does not matter that much. i always bring my low levels characters in wvw to level them up and i am doing just fine. lol

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

I think Anet felt the game “needed” something to chase. Oddly, if they had only stopped and looked at the threads in this forums, they could have found a massive amount of potential content.

Example: Players have been asking for a massive amount of racially themed skins that span ALL level ranges.
Medium armor users have been pleading for more non-trench coat styled armor since BWE1.
Light armor users have been asking for more pants and more unique profession set armor.
RPers have been asking for more townclothes.
Grab just those ideas, add in a moderate Faction system that is earned while doing DEs and hearts in each factions’ area and they could have had “something” to do in between" other stuff.

That’s a start that would have held true to GW style of play IMO.

If I have to gear grind, there’s already better and more established titles out there. Many friends are already heading off to try TSW (for PvE) and Planetside 2 (for PvP) – I’m left once again looking at remaining guildies and PuGs for content… and now I’m slamming my head against a “Gear Score” or “Dungeon Level tier” to get any thing done…

Very Disappointed.

Posted by: Arreyanne.2683

Arreyanne.2683

Seriously,

They aren’t going to do that just give it up ans submit a refund request if you are unhappy with the produce

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

Hey, I’ve got the top three blogs at http://www.MMORPG.com right now, and theyr’e all about this (yes, I’m Meleagar):

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Meleagar/072009/24212_The-GW2-Debacle-More-Than-A-Matter-of-Lost-Trust

Please go in and upvote them. Feel free to cross post them at other sites. Maybe we can turn up the heat enough to get something done about this.

And this is what I was afraid of. This is going to continue and that will only increase the disappointment and anger. It will also put off potential new customers – some people do not buy products that have a lot of negativity surrounding it.

I found similar information calling them out on betraying their original product design and vision. Now more of the gaming media is doing it. This is not going to end. I watched the whole Bioware debacle this year. The negativity turned from ME3 to Bioware. Now look at that company. Its had significant layoffs in its SWTOR division and its original founders have left. Worse its loyal core base is pissed off.

Change in a product is not bad. Creating feelings of betrayal, frustration in your customer is bad. People who bought this game because Arenanet said it would have no gear stat progression feel betrayed. And I want to emphasize that it is “people who bought this product because they knew it would have no gear stat progression and they agreed with that” that are having the strongest negative reaction. They are customers who just had the product they bought radically changed.

Said this before. How do you think Call of Duty customers would feel if they suddenly removed 1st person view and changed it to 3rd person to appeal to a different audience? Or if Super Mario brothers changed from 2d to 3d because people love 3d now.

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

Great Write Up Wintyre, you might want to have a read of this thread and the covering the other mechanics of the game they broke with this patch. (That are all come true now just days after this patch)

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-New-GW2-Flavor-Rocks/first

Posted by: xtorma.1283

xtorma.1283

I wonder how many times the word “disappointed” has shown up on the forums in the past 3 days as opposed to all the days since the game went live

Baron Irongut – Warrior-

Posted by: Haudruff.7804

Haudruff.7804

As of Now

3 Months Earlier

Uhm…one can get infraction for just quoting for what they said? Why?

Onshidesigns.1069

“Ascend: to move upward”

A Item just can’t be Ascended. It has to evolve to a Ascended. That’s anther reason why upgrading Exotics makes more scene.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

I wonder how many times the word “disappointed” has shown up on the forums in the past 3 days as opposed to all the days since the game went live

I wonder how many times the word “betrayed” has shown up anywhere directed at ANet since release of GW1.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Onshidesigns.1069

Seriously,

They aren’t going to do that just give it up ans submit a refund request if you are unhappy with the produce

It’s not hard for them to change this.

Ganzo.5079

• Downgrade Ascended to legendary gear with Exotic stats.

Man its a weeks that we are screaming to have this… and im agree with you… so come and post in the megathread too

LOL

Onshidesigns.1069

that’s a lie , in wvw is all about the zerg, armor does not matter that much. i always bring my low levels characters in wvw to level them up and i am doing just fine. lol

Wait for more players to have a Ascended items before you think everything is fine.

Posted by: Haudruff.7804

Haudruff.7804

And this is what I was afraid of. This is going to continue and that will only increase the disappointment and anger. It will also put off potential new customers – some people do not buy products that have a lot of negativity surrounding it.

I found similar information calling them out on betraying their original product design and vision. Now more of the gaming media is doing it. This is not going to end. I watched the whole Bioware debacle this year. The negativity turned from ME3 to Bioware. Now look at that company. Its had significant layoffs in its SWTOR division and its original founders have left. Worse its loyal core base is pissed off.

Change in a product is not bad. Creating feelings of betrayal, frustration in your customer is bad. People who bought this game because Arenanet said it would have no gear stat progression feel betrayed. And I want to emphasize that it is “people who bought this product because they knew it would have no gear stat progression and they agreed with that” that are having the strongest negative reaction. They are customers who just had the product they bought radically changed.

Said this before. How do you think Call of Duty customers would feel if they suddenly removed 1st person view and changed it to 3rd person to appeal to a different audience? Or if Super Mario brothers changed from 2d to 3d because people love 3d now.

It’s all over the internet. On the biggest German guildwars-community-sites it’s the number one topic as well, with the same reactions like in this thread.

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

As of Now

3 Months Earlier

Because A.Net doesn’t like being called out when they lie. I’m sure they will use some mumbo jumbo about “out of context”, and “That is not really what the president meant.”

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

This would be the best option.

Adding an Infusion Slot in addition to the normal upgrade slot of an Exotic would be ideal. It wouldn’t upset the balance of things anywhere outside of a dungeon, and Infusion could be made to only apply within the dungeon.

However, when I look at the ‘baked-in’ stats on Ascended items, I get the sense that there’s a blockage in the development pipeline – that there isn’t enough programming manpower to alter the item code to support multiple upgrade slots.

If that’s the case, a good compromise would be to give Infusions Agony Resistance, but also give them the ‘regular’ stat bonuses that you would get from an Exotic Jewel. That way Exotic users wouldn’t suffer a downgrade in performance to get Agony resistance (although they would still have to give up Runes), but there wouldn’t need to be an entirely new equipment tier to compensate.

Posted by: llshazzt.2593

llshazzt.2593

I wonder how many times the word “betrayed” has shown up anywhere directed at ANet since release of GW1.

Or betrayed

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

Because A.Net doesn’t like being called out when they lie. I’m sure they will use some mumbo jumbo about “out of context”, and “That is not really what the president meant.”

Actually: if so, why is this topic still open?
They do not remove every single negative post, actually most of them is still here, that’s why this topic is so long.
They even stopped removing off-topic posts from this thread! All the posts about getting refund, how to get a refunt, I got a refund, get a refund for example: they’re still here.
Normally every topic that has “run it’s course” and “derailed” is closed. But not htis one, for some reason.

I actually think it’s being left open for a purpouse: so that whoever made those stupid decision can clearly see what the feedback and the reactions are.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Gombar.7324

They do not remove every single negative post, actually most of them is still here, that’s why this topic is so long.
They even stopped removing off-topic posts from this thread! All the posts about getting refund, how to get a refunt, I got a refund, get a refund for example: they’re still here.
Normally every topic that has “run it’s course” and “derailed” is closed. But not htis one, for some reason.

I actually think it’s being left open for a purpouse: so that whoever made those stupid decision can clearly see what the feedback and the reactions are.

The dam is bursting…….

Onshidesigns.1069

*Downgreade Ascended to legendary gear with Exotic stats.

“Ascend: to move upward”
A Item just can’t be Ascended. It has to evolve to a Ascended.
That’s anther reason why upgrading Exotics makes more scene.

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

It’s left open because if they close it, another one will just start in it’s place. I’m not sure if they are still merging into this thread, but I see at least 4 or 5 posts on the main page that are of the same vein as this one. I think they have decided to just let it blow over and die a slow death. Hopefully, it doesn’t and this pain train goes on for awhile.

Posted by: Shayde.2564

Shayde.2564

This subtopic thread is now longer than the entire “Guild Wars 2 Discussion” parent topic. Still not a single word from the developer.

Gombar.7324

It’s left open because if they close it, another one will just start in it’s place. I’m not sure if they are still merging into this thread, but I see at least 4 or 5 posts on the main page that are of the same vein as this one. I think they have decided to just let it blow over and die a slow death. Hopefully, it doesn’t and this pain train goes on for awhile.

It’s too late as it’s out on the web too, and others have taken notice of what is/has been going on here…don’t think it’ll be long before some of the major gaming sites catches up and starts to write about this huge pile of fish dung.

Wintyre Fraust.6534

My question is this: if one is going to quit and get a refund, won’t their account here be terminated and they no longer be able to express their dissatisfaction on the official forums?

Posted by: Rhyaehar.9504

Rhyaehar.9504

My question is this: if one is going to quit and get a refund, won’t their account here be terminated and they no longer be able to express their dissatisfaction on the official forums?

This account got a refund and I can still log in and post.

Deactivated accounts can be used on the forums to ask for support obviously.
Unless they’ll change that now.

Posted by: Cheiron the Centaur.1829

Cheiron the Centaur.1829

the level cap will be 80 on the initial release of the game, and we absolutely will increase it further into the game, probably through expansions, that’s the most likely place we would do that.

Has anyone considered what will happen when they DO increase the level cap? It wouldn’t make much sense to increase the level cap while all the gear stays at level 80, so at the latest by that time, all your Ascended gear will become obsolete again, and the grind starts from scratch.

Wintyre Fraust.6534

This account got a refund and I can still log in and post.

Deactivated accounts can be used on the forums to ask for support obviously.
Unless they’ll change that now.

Good to know!

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

3 Months Earlier

People should start pasting this left and right

Arena Net quotes that show they have no consistency are a dime a dozen:

“When we looked at the concept of “endgame” for Guild Wars 2, we designed it the same way. We didn’t want the endgame to be something you could only experience after a hundred hours of gameplay or after you reached some arbitrary number [like Agony resistance]. We wanted it to be something that players got to experience every step along the way, spread out across the entire world of Tyria, so we’ve introduced game elements that you’d normally associate with “endgame” at every level and every possible opportunity.” (my emphasis)

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-endgame-reimagined/

Posted by: Nottix.7864

Nottix.7864

I don’t understand why they just didn’t start making legendary armor. One piece at a time, instead of a new tier. Example, legendary cloak(back) or gloves(light/medium/heavy) with minor-mild graphics. This could of solved the carrot problem by giving the dedicated, something to work towards. Also giving an option to those who want a legendary, but don’t care for the weapon skin of their profession. Also engineers who use kits.