Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

just a thing because few players like to deny reality even if its clear.

Filling a gap between exotic and legendaries have a meaning…

IFor most people getting a legendary is just impossible, becauseit would require an amout of grinding compraable to the worst mmorpg out there…something even worse than lineage 2 wiche most of us quit long time ago TIRED of the grindfest….

Do you really want to have a trendmill systemto get to that point?

If so feel freee to try one of the many mmorpg that are based on that system….

Changing the basic principle of a game after it have been sold its something more than bad…..its something completely disrespectful and deceptive….

Telling that a big part of the player base asked for that is just a LIE…

6000+ post already can prove the opposite.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: NoobOnSteroid.7192

NoobOnSteroid.7192

It isn’t a fallacy. Farm a few nodes in Orr, run a few events, and you have the mats for an exotic. Run a few dungeons and you have an exotic. Be reasonable with your gold and you can buy several before you even hit level 80. How is it a fallacy? Yeah, you aren’t instantly decked in exotics when you turn 80 but with sensible play you can quickly add pieces while doing just about anything.

And how is that a bad thing? They always claimed GW2 would be about doing what you wanted to do to have fun, not do stuff to be able to do the fun stuff later. So having a highest tier armor that can be picked up doing about anything you want at lvl80, seems to fit that idea, no?

Our Studio Design Director Chris Whiteside just posted this:

“So it’s important for us to be able to add an expansion pack’s worth of progression and rewards to support that content."

Adding “progression” with every major expansion = treadmill. You can call it whatever you want: progression, character development, goals … That does not change the fact that it is a gear treadmill.

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Oh, but you don’t have to be 26% more powerful!

You do, if you want to participate in the new Fractals dungeon.

And any other new dungeons that will be introduced

You’re right, let me change that:

But you don’t have to be 26% more powerful, and those dungeons are totally optional!

That’s right you don’t have to…unless you want access to the content. So you’re saying that it’s gated then correct?

Yes, gated. But I think that was sarcasm in italics…

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

Posted by: Derek.9254

Derek.9254

no, thats not how things work. Maybe in a perfect world when both p[layers play perfectly always. But your reaction speed varies sometimes you do a wrong keystroke active a cd early. Those play a larger role than the 5% stat increase. Honestly how often do your duels end up being a double ko. seriously

So if they said people that run the the new dungeons could use that new gear in sPVP and tournaments you would be ok with that right. As it’s only 5%, thats nothing…

Again, its not a reality. It wont be usable in spvp. And it wouldnt bother me because if that 5% would cause someone to beat me consecutively then i would blame it on my skill. I dont mid things that make me have to play better and improve as a player. HEck i often go into wvw with no trinkets just to force myself to play better with less errors. And trust me the stat lost from no trinkets is greater than that 5% or so. I know most players are not like me but i feel like that if they had secretly gave players weapons that added 5% damage they would never notice.

To me if i dont totally destroy a player then i may have well lost.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Infusion will split the playerbase as it did in LoTRO. It will cause guilds to split up, players to rage quit and friends to be excluded from instances. Oh dear, this is exactly the drama I hoped to avoid in GW2. Well, at least I tried…

Posted by: Reya.1895

Reya.1895

ohai – i was following this thread a lot during the day but didn’t get a chance to post. also it’s 128 pages long so i posted somewhere else ~_~
summarized my thoughts and impact:

http://www.ehmry.com/topic/1026-linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/#entry9692

tl;dr ascended gear is pointless, if not bad – also stupid and badly communicated. people are particularly upset about this change, not because of it’s immediate impact in the next few months, but the ongoing impact it will have on the game.

-Reya

Posted by: pregnable.1954

pregnable.1954

A small stat increase can be the difference between a 1 hit KO and a 2 hit KO.

Posted by: Mr Crazy Moose.5760

Mr Crazy Moose.5760

But you don’t have to be 26% more powerful, and those dungeons are totally optional!

Quite right! Nobody is forcing you to get the best gear for the job, it’s entirely optional!

Posted by: Uder.9187

Uder.9187

Yes, but it isn’t even a -huge- stat gap. Not to mention they are going to release it in stages and not all at once.

The complaints about it were -mostly- based around the fact that people -thought- it would result in a gear treadmill. That isn’t the case, as they have pointed out.

Now if you’re going to make that big of a deal over a tiny stat difference then -wow-, just -wow-.

Oh -also- they are going to release it for other aspects of content as well. WvW and whatever else. Chill your kitten, seriously.

It doesn’t matter how huge the gap is, it feels like that I have to get it.

And you don’t wear only one piece of ascended armor, did you know that there are 6 equipment slots + 6 accessory and backpack?

The Iron Triangle – Desolation
Leina Shade | Svea Lightbringer | Maximus Ironhide | Mara Deathblossom

Posted by: gadenp.7586

gadenp.7586

It doesn’t matter how huge the stat gap is, it is there and thus I feels like that I have to get it.

Simple MMO Gamer logic. Cannot tell me, you never felt that way.

LordByron.8369

its not that hard to think that players want to play ON PAR….

Would you start a chess game without a tower?

Would you play poker with just 4 cards when opponents have 5?

And so on…..

GW2 balance:
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

That’s right you don’t have to…unless you want access to the content. So you’re saying that it’s gated then correct?

Yes, gated. But I think that was sarcasm in italics…

So what they have done is release gated content that is only available to people who wish to….run a gear treadmill. As stated in their blog post, and has since not been refuted, but rather reinforced by the developers in other posts, this kind of content is merely the beginning of many more releases of further gated content. It took three months for some players to burn through current content and demand progression because they were bored. The original content was quite huge (lots of dungeons,areas, pvp content) and now their fix for these people is to release one small set of upgraded gear which gates content in favor of these people. Questions : Why gate content? How long before this new set of Ascended gear becomes old hat and the same people want more? What solution do you think Anet will institute at that time? The solution becomes the problem.

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

The number of people who cannot understand sarcasm (sarcasm not being translated well through text isn’t really an excuse here, it’s so obvious) is amusing.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Don’t worry, maybe Ascended Tier 2 gear will be only 25% more powerful than this Ascended Tier 1!

Posted by: axiology.5807

axiology.5807

Quite right! Nobody is forcing you to get the best gear for the job, it’s entirely optional!

And it’s not just best gear by 26%, it’s gear that is necessary in the dungeon because of the enemies’ Agony! But still optional!

Posted by: NoobOnSteroid.7192

NoobOnSteroid.7192

Why do casuals even complain about new tier of gear? It’s not meant for you obviously, but for the addicted/“dedicated”. Or are you saying that you really need to have, whatever is the ‘best’, to be competitive as a casual?

It goes against what has been promised about this game. I’m pretty sure that’s a valid reason to complain, even if it’s not “meant for you” (although I strongly disagree, in my opinion, all content is meant for every player, casual and hardcore alike).

Why would you even want to exclude part of your player base from the content you add to the game?

Posted by: Dksopp.6092

Dksopp.6092

lol its almost like everyone in this thread has no idea how a company works and stays alive. I did play gw1 and i also played wow. I would like there to be only cosmetic upgrades but i knew from the start something like this would happen.
Why? because a company does not succeed if only focuses on one small playerbase. While tons of you gw1 “vets” are complaining you guys also have to know its common sense that they are not going to just make a gw1.5 with better graphics.
It needs to appeal to players from many game types not just the select few that dont want change.
I mean i understand the anger but come on we cant just live in the past forever.
Ascended gear is a new tier, whats done is done and no matter what you do it is here to stay.
Your complaints will not change what will immediately happen but may make them think twice about going to another tier beyond ascended

Commercial is Commercial, but that doesn’t change the fact that they “promised” to sell you Diet coke for years then give you “Coke” the original after 3 months.
In terms of revenue, losing old and loyal players is guarantee a loss of long term income, no further purchase of expansion and gems. I highly doubt the new implementation would generate more players than losing.

Not saying Anet shouldn’t change to make the game more profitable. Afterall, its not an non-profit organisation. But this is not the right direction seriously.

Progression is not the major factor of retaining customer in MMOs, especially in a game like this. The first of all, they should fix the bugs and create more intellectual matching system on pvp and wvw in order to protect their core value and selling point of the product.

PVE wise, it is nice to have new dungeons. and if they want to target hardcore PVE “challengers”. They should make the mobs act more intellectual, with the same stats currently have instead of playing with numbers. even Just making mobs able to assist train, using skills or all sorts and able to do finish blow would make the PVE fight much more challenging than it is.

Gear wise, more stat combinations are welcome and not to mention the sigils and runes. Try to tailor the rune/sigils effects that can make a synergy with certain build. Those are fun, those are good stuff that keeps people occupied for hrs and think about their builds.

Just want to emphasis one thing, PROGRESSION doesnt bring fun itself. Memories and the process does. If they insist progression is a must to maintain the players, then I have to hands down on any games produced by this company.

Although, ya I dont expect them changing it, but still “hope” for it.
They are the one suffering, not us. We will miss a good game when it gets to a point that we wont tolerate and quit and they miss the future cash inflows.
The money we spent “$60” (min.) = 3 monthly subscriptions. cant expect more already. But that doesn’t mean we cant hope for a better GW2 world. And expressing here is one of the route, if they care.

(edited by Dksopp.6092)

Posted by: Bardes.1870

Bardes.1870

Welcome Hamsters, here are your treadmills.

Posted by: Uder.9187

Uder.9187

Too much text. I’m against ascended gear but you forgot to count the stats from runes.

We don’t know the stats of infusions yet, but they might not have stats like +power, they only increase your damage defenses etc against those new mobs (which is a lame new mechanic IMO).

The things that make me angry is:

- I need a new set of gear for a new zone
- legendaries will be buffed above exotics

The Iron Triangle – Desolation
Leina Shade | Svea Lightbringer | Maximus Ironhide | Mara Deathblossom

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

I am worried about this:

all existing Legendary weapons, which are currently on par with Exotics, will be upgraded to be on par with Ascended weapons

they said they will add more exciting rewards to have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary.

In my opinion this means that there will be a progression toward legendary quality gear so at the end we will probably have a bunch of players, equipped with legendary items, stronger than others. Realistically those who can spend more time/money in the game will be rewarded better than those who can’t, and that’s exactly the opposite of what ANet told us before release.

Maybe ANet is aiming to a Pay to Win system.

Please, devs, ask directly to this simple question:
a character in full ascended gear, will have a greater stats bonus than an exotic geared one? (including runes, gems, slot upgrades and so on.)
Thank you.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

(edited by Daendur.2357)

Posted by: Shieldbreaker.4012

Shieldbreaker.4012

After reading the dev update from Chris Whiteside, I can safely say…THIS IDEA IS STILL GARBAGE. The worst part of it is the “agony” mechanic. The 2nd worst part is that it invalidates all prior exotic armor that people put the time into getting not expecting that they’d need to do it all over again.

I strongly disapprove. I’ve seen this agony type of mechanic in other games, and I’ve NO desire to see it in this one. It’s a poor design move, where the content isn’t more difficult, it’s just a “no happy button no pass sorry!”. Trash.

I’m not interested. Throw this entire idea in the trash bin, start over. Either upgrade all current dungeon exotics and crafted exotics to this new level (including already equipped items), or don’t patch this garbage live. I’ve talked to several of my IRL friends who play and we’re all “wtf” and shocked by this. Nobody is pleased. This is the road of grinding, and that was never part of the Guild Wars franchise…until now. Don’t.

Posted by: Jarv.1972

Jarv.1972

I can understand why some will be annoyed by the new armour but my view is I don’t really care that much about gear, It’s nice to have and something to work towards but for me it’s not the be all and end all. I can see some people not being happy because for them having the best gear is the thi9ng for them, for me its playing the game. To be fair though this was always going to happen eventually, We should all be thankful this has been added free rather than paying £30 for an expansion.

Don’t worry be happy and kill stuff, It’s all good

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Too much text. I’m against ascended gear but you forgot to count the stats from runes.

We don’t know the stats of infusions yet, but they might not have stats like +power, they only increase your damage defenses etc against those new mobs (which is a lame new mechanic IMO).

The things that make me angry is:

- I need a new set of gear for a new zone
- legendaries will be buffed above exotics

He didn’t forget the runes, the old gear had runes in it that he used as an example.

Posted by: Rhyaehar.9504

Rhyaehar.9504

Despite the length of the thread, I’ll drop my 2 cents as well.

I’ve decided never to pick up MMOs again because of the gear treadmill each and single one offered and the lack of it was exactly the reason why my girlfriend managed to convince me to even pick up Guild Wars 2.

In my eyes, there areas where GW2 is superior over other games are not really numerous. Quite frankly, they are quite few.
Main storyline is inferior to, for example, LotRO storyline, written by some of the best and most creative writers I’ve ever seen in game industry, and the fact that everything in this game stays true to Tolkien lore is another bonus for LotR fans, to name one.

Almost every aspect of your game I find either on par, or inferior to other games: that of course is a matter of taste, but it boils down to a single fact: the main strength of your game and the main selling point was lack of vertical progression. You decided to throw that principle you advertised as core to your game for years of development because a few players did not read what they were buying. It is very disappointing.

And because the lack of gear treadmill was the main reason I began to play that game, I will probably stop playing if it’s in.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

If you add in a geared guild in ascended that’s “only 8%” stronger doing 25% more damage, vs a zerg of ungeared people… it’ll be a massacre. Guilds that focus on gaining gear first will have a massive advantage.

Already my guild can break an regular zerg with a 5man team but adding in 25% more damage would be devastating to anything but other organized guilds. Huge Guild vs Guild warfare will be decided by the amount of ascended armor in slot because there’s only so much you can cover with tactics when there’s a gear gap.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Killcannon, there’s a few things wrong with what you just said.

For one, the original content was incredibly small. There’s 25 zones, 4 PvP maps, and 6 cities for world completion. There’s 8 dungeons, each taking no more than 30 minutes to complete. PvP content is small, four cycling maps.

Next, there is plenty to state that this won’t be a gear treadmill. In fact:
"We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on." That pretty much says it outright...

And now, the fix to the fact that the game is stupidly short is not a small gearset. It’s a whole bunch of content, to be spread out over a length of time.

The problem is that there is a gate. It will very likely only happen once, because A-net doesn’t screw up that bad.

This will be a few months of a gear treadmill at most, and then it will be over. It’s not going to be permanent. It’s not going to be needing fixed later. What this is, is a temporary way of keeping us entertained while they roll out the other stuff they’ve had already developed but just needing polished.

I beat the game in the first month, and I was on the slow end. Anyone who’s anyone already has their legendary, or the materials for it. I’ve done world completion, all 8 dungeons, all 25 explorable mode paths, and the entire personal story four times, one in each order, and across four races. All I haven’t done so far is Asura 1-20 personal story, and that’s because I hate the Asura. I buy gems with real world money, and spend about as much as the average pack-a-day smoker spends on smokes. There is nothing left in this game for me, and I don’t have that many hours played.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I hate the idea that they added a hard gate and gearscore to the game. I likely will not play for a few months because I hate everything that’s going on. And, at around $10 a day, A-net’s going to lose a few hundred dollars worth of potential gem store sales.

But, there’s no reason to think this is permanent, it’s just one of their usual mistakes. They make one every few years, and there’s nothing you can do about it but not give them money and hope they learn.

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

Posted by: Phara Miu.2816

Phara Miu.2816

If there will be no WvW set on par with that set its game over.
Iam ok with a new vision of Anet even tough they promised GW2 wont be a WoW gear threadmill.
But if that means iam forced into PvE to stay competitive inside a WvW setting versus players who do PvE i curse them to oblivion.

Might aswell go back to WoW who does have a little better PvE and woth Rob Pardo back in the seat to replace the fail Ghostcrawler one can expect raids / dungeons as they where in Vanila / TBC / Uldaur style.

Anet better give an answer very soon, as letting WvW players in the dark with this news out aint going to do much good for them.

I love Anet and i love GW2, but this hits like a bomb shell and scatterd my entire feeling for Anet who i defended and supported without a second doubt.
Give us WvW an honest answer please.

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

I still wonder who´s bringing the money to ANet.
The hardcore players who play more than 5 hours a day or the casuals, with a RL Job and the money to spend in the Gemshop?

But maybe ANet is really going a different way from the other development studios. Other developers startet with a subscription fee and wenn free to play. Maybe ANet may introduce a monthly fee in some months to come?

I´ve been a hardcore gamer too, a long time ago, when I was:

1. in school
2. in university

but money I would not spend above 15 Bucks a month for an online game.
Now with a full-time job I already spend 80 Bucks last month alone for the Gemshop.

I actually wish the folks working for ArenaNet would have the number of gems bought so far displayed underneath the account name when they look at the forum. They should listen more to the people funding their paychecks.

Is this a game for mature players, respecting their (often limited) time(*) or is it a game that caters to whoever whines the loudest?

(*) Respecting time also means that time invested to get gear that was supposed to be “best in slot” for the rest of the game’s lifetime is not devalued by adding a tier of better gear. Alas, that is starting right now.

Posted by: Bardes.1870

Bardes.1870

I am worried about this:

all existing Legendary weapons, which are currently on par with Exotics, will be upgraded to be on par with Ascended weapons

they said they will add more exciting rewards to have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary.

In my opinion this means that there will be a progression toward legendary quality gear so at the end we will probably have a bunch of players, equipped with legendary items, stronger than others. Realistically those who can spend more time/money in the game will be rewarded better than those who can’t, and that’s exactly the opposite of what ANet told us before release.

Maybe ANet is aiming to a Pay to Win system.

Please, devs, ask directly to this simple question:
a character in full ascended gear, will have a greater stats bonus than an exotic geared one? (including runes, gems, slot upgrades and so on.)
Thank you.

They said there will be more legendary equipment. So what you need to gather will be full set legendary. Then no matter if there will be T2 acended or T3 acended, your legendary gears will automatically be upgraded to the top.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

/sigh Math is hard.

Note that most of your stats are there when you’re naked. Except in pvp, your jewels aren’t a big component of the grand total.

Let’s imagine a character has 2000 power. Adding a couple points to 2k is not an 8% increase, nor a 26% increase.

Depending on your build and gear, possibly half of your stats comes from gear, with the other half coming from the providence of being a lvl 80 hero and trait points. If all of your gear went up by 8%, your damage on regular hits would go up much less than that. In the formula there’s a multiplier that’s (weapon damage + power). Of that multiplier, about 1/3 is from the weapon, 1/3 from your naked character, and 1/3 from gear. So your multiplier after adding 8% more power to your gear is an increase of less than 3%.

Posted by: Rhyaehar.9504

Rhyaehar.9504

I can understand why some will be annoyed by the new armour but my view is I don’t really care that much about gear, It’s nice to have and something to work towards but for me it’s not the be all and end all. I can see some people not being happy because for them having the best gear is the thing for them, for me its playing the game. To be fair though this was always going to happen eventually, We should all be thankful this has been added free rather than paying £30 for an expansion.

Don’t worry be happy and kill stuff, It’s all good

It never happened in GW1 and it was a successful game, why do you say it would happen eventually?

I for one am not thankful nor happy for a content that changes the game precisely into something I did not want to play just 3 months after release and I would rather not pay 75EUR for something I dislike but pay 30EUR more for something I do.

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

lol @ how many people took this post literally.

Sarcasm folks.

On topic though, yes progression style PvE content does not belong in guild wars keep that kitten in PvE MMO’s please.

(edited by nofo.8469)

Posted by: Blacksarevok.8104

Blacksarevok.8104

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Fun impacts loot collection. The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.”
– Colin Johanson

Lies, lies and more lies.

“I’d like to respond to concerns players have raised about ascended items. Please keep in mind that we’re releasing this as one portion of a massive November update that introduces and improves many aspects of challenge, progression, and rewards. With this and upcoming updates, we view ourselves as introducing large amounts of content with supporting systems and features, akin to an expansion pack, building on Guild Wars 2 through a series of live releases. So it’s important for us to be able to add an expansion pack’s worth of progression and rewards to support that content.

Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two. We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content. PvP will remain unaffected to ensure our intended PvP balance going forward. We are also working on other reward and progression systems for the game that tie into current and new content and features. As you know we care very much about your support and opinion and are listening intently to what you say.
Finally we look forward to hearing your thoughts on the upcoming content, and we will ensure we share our thoughts with you on the experiences we share in the Lost Shores."

Chris Whiteside – Studio Design Director

Lying about lies, that must be a sad joke.

I’m disgusted.

Gottem

Posted by: IonicBlaze.7948

IonicBlaze.7948

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Fun impacts loot collection. The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.”
– Colin Johanson

Lies, lies and more lies.

“I’d like to respond to concerns players have raised about ascended items. Please keep in mind that we’re releasing this as one portion of a massive November update that introduces and improves many aspects of challenge, progression, and rewards. With this and upcoming updates, we view ourselves as introducing large amounts of content with supporting systems and features, akin to an expansion pack, building on Guild Wars 2 through a series of live releases. So it’s important for us to be able to add an expansion pack’s worth of progression and rewards to support that content.

Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two. We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content. PvP will remain unaffected to ensure our intended PvP balance going forward. We are also working on other reward and progression systems for the game that tie into current and new content and features. As you know we care very much about your support and opinion and are listening intently to what you say.
Finally we look forward to hearing your thoughts on the upcoming content, and we will ensure we share our thoughts with you on the experiences we share in the Lost Shores."

Chris Whiteside – Studio Design Director

Lying about lies, that must be a sad joke.

I’m disgusted.

So am I….

The spirit of Guild Wars died on Nov. 13 2012. R.I.P.

Posted by: Tawn.9871

Tawn.9871

There’s a reason I haven’t done many dungeons. I DONT WANT TO. I don’t like them, I haven’t in any MMO and it’s the reason I quit WoW vanilla. I’m happy for them to be available to other players, but there’s something seriously wrong with the game when it forces me to participate in content I do not enjoy in order to be the most competitive. Extremely concerned and disappointed that it looks like Ascended gear can only be obtained through this method.

LordByron.8369

I still wonder who´s bringing the money to ANet.
The hardcore players who play more than 5 hours a day or the casuals, with a RL Job and the money to spend in the Gemshop?

But maybe ANet is really going a different way from the other development studios. Other developers startet with a subscription fee and wenn free to play. Maybe ANet may introduce a monthly fee in some months to come?

I´ve been a hardcore gamer too, a long time ago, when I was:

1. in school
2. in university

but money I would not spend above 15 Bucks a month for an online game.
Now with a full-time job I already spend 80 Bucks last month alone for the Gemshop.

I actually wish the folks working for ArenaNet would have the number of gems bought so far displayed underneath the account name when they look at the forum. They should listen more to the people funding their paychecks.

Is this a game for mature players, respecting their (often limited) time(*) or is it a game that caters to whoever whines the loudest?

(*) Respecting time also means that time invested to get gear that was supposed to be “best in slot” for the rest of the game’s lifetime is not devalued by adding a tier of better gear. Alas, that is starting right now.

are you proposing that people that doesn t buy gems are rank B customers?
The game is sold as without monthly fee but with an initial cost.

Now if this was a F2P you could have some reasons….but what you say is what the most hated company in VG history is doing……. (EA)

GW2 balance:

Posted by: ekimsfree.9406

ekimsfree.9406

Oh my god you don’t need the increased stats to do the new dungeon…you just need Agony resistance to progress through it, which you can get from the mystic forge, dungeon or crafting.

You don’t need the new stats to do the new zone content, just like you don’t need exotics to do Orr.

This will have little impact on WvW, many people do fine in just greens and yellows.

Everyone is drawing conclusions based on speculation.

Posted by: Blacksarevok.8104

Blacksarevok.8104

But, there’s no reason to think this is permanent, it’s just one of their usual mistakes. They make one every few years, and there’s nothing you can do about it but not give them money and hope they learn.

This, this, this, THIS.

When you are not satisfied with a game, don’t bother wasting your time complaining about it, it does NOTHING. You stop giving them money, period. I can’t emphasize on that enough.

Posted by: Rhaviolio.1853

Rhaviolio.1853

If there will be no WvW set on par with that set its game over.
Iam ok with a new vision of Anet even tough they promised GW2 wont be a WoW gear threadmill.
But if that means iam forced into PvE to stay competitive inside a WvW setting versus players who do PvE i curse them to oblivion.

Might aswell go back to WoW who does have a little better PvE and woth Rob Pardo back in the seat to replace the fail Ghostcrawler one can expect raids / dungeons as they where in Vanila / TBC / Uldaur style.

Anet better give an answer very soon, as letting WvW players in the dark with this news out aint going to do much good for them.

I love Anet and i love GW2, but this hits like a bomb shell and scatterd my entire feeling for Anet who i defended and supported without a second doubt.
Give us WvW an honest answer please.

“Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content”

There you go you will be able to get it in WvW from what i read

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill."

You heard it here first folks.

It’s not a gear treadmill!

It’s progression!

Posted by: gamefreak.5673

gamefreak.5673

I have 5 sets of exotic gear so I can match how I want to play with my builds. I love that it just has different stats and none are really more powerful then the other allowing me to play how I want to play. Adding gear progression is a horrible idea because it was marketed to us as something that would not happen and not to mention its a small step into other games like wow with every expansion needing new armor, weapons and everything else to do a new dungeon. GW1 did not have a gear progress and that is what I loved about it. In gw1 I spent time getting skills and such compared to armor that is how i looked at it.

I have spent my time getting my self armor and other things besides some legendary weapon that does not fit my necro in anyway shape or form.

Posted by: Yllnath.2573

Yllnath.2573

Honestly, I don’t care about the gear having higher stats. That really doesn’t matter. All my chars can run dungeons in blues or greens, and still do well. If some players feel they need the additional stats for a gear progression feeling, that’s fine..

But I’m a bit bummed out on the artificial barrier they’re creating with Agony, especially because of my alts. With this, a fresh 80 can’t viably do all end-game content anymore, as I’ll have to build up Ascended gear and Agony resistances first, which sucks :< No way to get all my future 80’s I’ve got planned all geared up with my playtime. O well, I guess it was inevitable with all the whining.

Agony is really just a terrible idea.

IonicBlaze.7948

Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill."

You heard it here first folks.

It’s not a gear treadmill!

It’s progression!

Oh ja, a horse is a horse is a horse is a horse…..

Posted by: icewyrm.5038

icewyrm.5038

Adding a new gear stat tier? Don’t like it.

Adding a new dungeon that will essentially require players to have said gear equipped to play in many groups? I really don’t like the sound of that.

Requiring players to use the mystic forge (which is synonymous with both massive expense and horrific reliance on luck via RNG mechanics) to make this new tier? Forget like or dislike, I’m finding this announcement quite repulsive.

Posted by: Nachyochez.9758

Nachyochez.9758

Ekim:
Infusion is only available on ascendant gear, thus you DO need the new stats to do the dungeon.
That’s directly from Linsey.

Skif F Galco (War) | Bas Flaith (Thf) | Rawr Doomshot (Rng) | Cheshire Glamourclaw (Mes)

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

They said there will be more legendary equipment. So what you need to gather will be full set legendary. Then no matter if there will be T2 acended or T3 acended, your legendary gears will automatically be upgraded to the top.

That’s the problem!
Legendary should not have to be upgraded to anything, because a legendary set must have the same stats of an exotic one, as it is now.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

Posted by: andreasels.3918

andreasels.3918

That’s not really correct what you are calculating there.

Base Power is 916
Power from full Berserker’s is 1001
Precision from full Berserker’s is 696
Critdmg from full Berserker’s is 62%
Power from 5x Scholar Rune + 1x Divinity is 175
Precision from 1x Divinity is 10
Critdmg from 5x Scholar Rune + 1x Divinity is 10%
Traits on a glasscannon build might give around 300 power, 200 precision, 20% critdmg (just an example)

So you get:

2392 power
906 precision above base
92% critdmg above base

906 precision are around 43% critchance +4% base critchance = 47%

Average dmg with crits compared to without crits: 0,47*1,42 + 1 = 1,6674 = 1,67

When Ascended gear increases gear stats by 8% that’s: 80 power and 56 precision. Critdmg seems to increase more (look at the bonus on MF, let’s say it’s same increase on critdmg in worst case, so ~42%) -> Critdmg would go to 26% (I actually doubt it’ll be THAT much)

So you will have 2472/2392 = 1,0334 -> 3,34% increased dmg cause of power and

0,5*1,68 + 1 = 1,84

-> 1,84/1,67 = 1,10 = 10% increase cause of crits

-> 1,0334*1,10 = 1,137 -> 13,7% increase at most (when critdmg really increases by a freaking 42% and not 8%)

Get your facts straight!

Edit: In case that critdmg increases by 8% like the other stats, you get:

0,5*1,47 + 1 = 1,735

→ 1,735/1,67 = 1,0389

→ 1,0392*1,0334 = 1,0739 → 7,39% dmg increase

(edited by andreasels.3918)

Posted by: Jefzor.7145

Jefzor.7145

Exotics are too easy to acquire, so I don’t mind better gear that’s harder to obtain.

IonicBlaze.7948

Honestly, I don’t care about the gear having higher stats. That really doesn’t matter. All my chars can run dungeons in blues or greens, and still do well. If some players feel they need the additional stats for a gear progression feeling, that’s fine..

But I’m a bit bummed out on the artificial barrier they’re creating with Agony, especially because of my alts. With this, a fresh 80 can’t viably do all end-game content anymore, as I’ll have to build up Ascended gear and Agony resistances first, which sucks :< No way to get all my future 80’s I’ve got planned all geared up with my playtime. O well, I guess it was inevitable with all the whining.

Agony is really just a terrible idea.

Right, knowing that you have to chase all your toons through that treadmill to enjoy all the content with the alt u want to, demotivates me.

IonicBlaze.7948

Exotics are too easy to acquire, so I don’t mind better gear that’s harder to obtain.

Guild wars was never about items with beter and better stats, it was about having fun. Thats over now.