Thoughts on the March 26th Patch

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ruprect.7260

Ruprect.7260

My thoughts:

>Quickness nerf will mean a hard hit to Mesmers and Rangers. A bit sad to see in the PvE aspect since Rangers sorely need that bonus.

> Free server transfers to HoD, ET, and FC in the American Servers will flip WvW upside down (which will be the next Kaineng?). I’m not sure how that will project in the EU with vastly more Medium population servers.

> Living story finally looks like it’s getting interesting. That’s good to see. (I expected it may take time for it to “lift off,” hopefully this is finally interesting content).

> Engineer changes…I think I have to play my engineer and find out for myself. This looks like it could be good, it also looks like it could destroy my (and many other) builds.

The transfer is meant to encourage overpopulated high lvl servers to leave and go to the medium ones so that in end, all servers will have high pop or better.

I don’t think this will boost t8 servers up any bit. They’re waaaaay behind in accumulative points.

Kaineng was able to pull off 200+ points a week sometimes. It would not take long for one of those servers to move along if they completely dominated in the same way.

The difference this time around is that there are no free transfers with no limit.

Once it hits high pop then I reckon it will shut down. Back when Kaineng was dominating people just hopped on the train.

This makes sense. If they shut it down when the server hit high pop, that will curb the possible mass migration. That could also really screw a guild wanting to move. What if it hits high just as half your guild gets in.

Ruprect – [DIS] Dissentient
Mesmer/Elementalist/Guardian/Necromancer/Warrior
[TC] Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Unholey.3264

Unholey.3264

“Ranger pet cooldowns are now properly preserved when stabled.”

That’s a massive nerf.

Also, warriors banners being given double the bonuses while still being indestructible, mobile and having effects with a 100% uptime all without being traited is unbelievable.

Meanwhile, ranger spirits who have to be completely traited into to be even close to banners (and even then are light years away and still die in 2 hits from just about anything) aren’t deserving of an update.

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Skins in random boxes…AGAIN?! Feels like a slap in the face. If people are complaining boxes are useless…take the hint and just remove them?

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Did the patch just hit guys?

GW2Status ?@GW2Status 2m Patch version updated to 570,400! http://gw2status.com #GuildWars2 #GW2Retweeted by Dragon Season

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

Skins in random boxes…AGAIN?! Feels like a slap in the face. If people are complaining boxes are useless…take the hint and just remove them?

You know, you could just wait to see how the drop chances are going to work for these new skins. If they’re anything like the Christmas skins, then they’ll be dropping like flies. Granted I do agree that them involving the regular Black Lion chests is a bit of a step backwards, seeing as we’ve been getting these sorts of things from separate chests.

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

Posted by: Ruprect.7260

Ruprect.7260

You know, you could just wait to see how the drop chances are going to work for these new skins. If they’re anything like the Christmas skins, then they’ll be dropping like flies. Granted I do agree that them involving the regular Black Lion chests is a bit of a step backwards, seeing as we’ve been getting these sorts of things from separate chests.

•Added Fused weapon skins to the Black Lion Chest. Each Black Lion Chest has a rare chance to give a Fused weapon claim ticket

Ruprect – [DIS] Dissentient
Mesmer/Elementalist/Guardian/Necromancer/Warrior
[TC] Tarnished Coast

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Except they specifically say rare so I doubt they’ll drop that much. Its probably gonna be a repeat of the Halloween items fiasco.
I agree with TriggerSad. They should just add the skins to the store and let us just buy them. I’m sick of all the gambling they keep putting in the game.

As to the free transfers to medium: I doubt many people will take it up (at least from high to medium transfer). I know I wouldn’t.

Also, isn’t the “Communal Boost Bonfire” just a guild banner?

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Posted by: LordGustoff.3752

LordGustoff.3752

My only question: Are the new skins limited to the duration of the Flame and Frost story or are they a permanent addition? I couldn’t find if it specified in the patch notes.

If you did what they did, you would have what they have.
You have what you have because you do what you do.

Posted by: hatspixelscake.7506

hatspixelscake.7506

Where is the option to hide player titles? I understand that I can hide all player names – that’s not what I’m after. I’d like to go back to pre-patch where I could see player names and guild tags but not their vanity titles.

Personally this is too cluttered for me. Ideally I’d like options for ‘show only party names’ or ‘show only guild names’ but my main interest is the option to revert this latest visual change as soon as possible.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Le sigh, nerfing quickness speed really sucked a great amount of fun out of ranger. on swap quickness buff was pretty big part of certain playstyles.

Really quickness feels kind of over nerfed now.
On sigils it has a 45 second cool down, which means no other sigil effects can trigger
3 seconds of 50% attackspeed increase against 5 stacks of might in combat, guaranteed crits on swap, etc. seems like trash.
50% damage taken increase for 50% attackspeed (this is no longer really a buff, just a stance shift with a long cool down)
no heals for longer on ranger (who has many hot type abilities
no endurance for longer on theif.

And now visually and vicerally, quickness doesnt “feel” powerful 50% reduction barely feels faster for most skills.

COF nerf sucked the fun and usuability out of the skill.
this type of thing wouldnt be as a big a deal if we had more skills to choose from.
Can i get some new elites for my mesmer?
some other utility targeted towards burst potentiall, that actually feels cool.

The reduction style of balance is killing MMO’s we re supposed to feel like bad kitten heroes, id rather defensive abilities get more powerful than offensive skill feel bleh.

make aegis /blind last for like 1 second once triggered, give COF boss pushbuck/non damage skills it uses when enemies start wailing on it at insane speeds. (which can be dodges, or avoided, however this will lower DPS greatly for rushdown play and less for skilled use, but still lower it, while making sense as Just good AI to use a skill that helps it when people are using rushdown tactics.

Stop making the game less fun in balancing, and using simplified number nerfs to handle things that would be more entertaining for all and more fun to play with mechanics balance changes

Posted by: TheAgedGnome.7520

TheAgedGnome.7520

I’m curious why they did this: “Weapons sold by vendors are no longer salvageable.”.

It made doing the salvage daily pretty quick – just buy 10 white axes and salvage. Done.

Anyone know the patch size?

Stealth nerfs are the perfect fertilizer for mistrust.
PVE Power and Support Build

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

heavy PvE areas, like most of frostgorge sound: 40FPS before the patch – 52FPS after the patch. (note: should be 55FPS once i switched my video-card back to the x16 PCIe slot)

highfive to a-net.

LA’s performance is just slightly better: 42-43FPS on my benchmark spot instead of 38.
(again, add about 2-3 FPS to it)

and i’m certain, once i’m able to enter WvWvW, i’ll lost my motivation of uninstalling GW2, if the WvWvW gfx settings are working out as intended.

i really was about to lost all hope, but this patch once more showed: hope dies last.

oh and nice “quickening” tuning.
i’m way more happy with “quickening zephyr” now.
now i’ve got 2 “remove stun” skills equipped.

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

(edited by wauwi.9162)

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Several massive nerfs to Rangers that the small buffs don’t make up for and considering it was already the weakest class…

Posted by: eXs.6210

eXs.6210

Yea very disappointed by the ranger patch… quickness on swap was a big part of some builds… that’s pretty much gone now… the buffs to ranger greatsword doesn’t make up for the quickness “nerf” (or lack of relative buff compared to other quickness skills)… it’s duration should have been doubled to 4 seconds

wauwi.9162

before this patch: ranger —> zephyr —> longbow skill #2 + #5 —> gg
ranger —> zephyr —> revives downed mate instantly
ranger —> friendly mesmer does time warp —> ownownownownown —> zephyr —> ownownownownown
a little bit OP, no?

i, a lv80 DMG+Survival hybrid Ranger named Aerrith, approve this balancing.

once, an “instant death”-button got fixed, everybody screams “NERFED!”.
why?

(edited by wauwi.9162)

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

So now that the patch notes are up, what are your thoughts on it.

Well. When the most exciting thing about a content patch this big is the name change option that we have to pay for…….

From this players perspective, there could have been no patch at all and my game experience wouldn’t be any different.

Maybe I missed it, but I saw nothing in the patch notes for a PvE player to DO. What are all the fun new things to do?

Oh, a living story dungeon. I don’t do dungeons.

Posted by: ExaDal.2017

ExaDal.2017

And 8 months later account medal for sunrise/twilight bug still not resolved.

sigh

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

A few of my thoughts from a PvE dungeon perspective:

Mesmers:
– Time warp nerfed, but that’s fair since it was OP to begin with.
– Escaped the shatter nerf. Mesmers rejoice
– Other buffs were nice.

Engineers:
– Changes should be interesting…not sure what to think of everything yet.
– Kit refinement nerf was rough, but I understand why they did it.
– Buffs to turrets look interesting, but I’m not sure if that’s enough to make them viable.

Rangers:
– Quickness nerf was a royal kick in the balls to this class since they rely so much on QZ and pet swap quickness to do dps.
– 1 second duration increase to QZ is a laughable attempt to offset the dps nerf.
– No buff to longbow that was discussed in the GW2 State of the Game
– Spirits are still a terrible option, which is sad. If rangers are going to hit like wet noodles, why not at least let them have a viable support build?

Warriors:
– Will still be rampaging beasts in PvE.
– Banners needed a buff?
– Will CoF P1 speed runs just be ran with 5 warrior now?

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Nerfed Warrior sPvP even more, buffed skills like Kick/Rampage that are useless in any serious PvP setting, buffed Banners when Warrior is already done in PvE and didn’t need it.
Frenzy nerfed to 50% speed yet debuff still is 50% dmg taken and CD isn’t changed.
Zero fixes to bugs we’ve been living with for 7 months.

You can add me on the list of people who wants a new balance team.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

before this patch: ranger —> zephyr --> longbow skill #2 + #5 —> gg
ranger --> zephyr —> revives downed mate instantly
ranger --> friendly mesmer does time warp —> ownownownownown --> zephyr —> ownownownownown
a little bit OP, no?

why?

Rangers relied on quickness more then other classes to get them up to levels that were still sub par. As such they were hit harder by the quickness nerf. In other words a sub par class got hit hard by a nerf. And that isn’t including the Pets F2 changes.

Not hard to understand.

Posted by: Waldir.2571

Waldir.2571

A few of my thoughts from a PvE dungeon perspective:

Mesmers:
– Time warp nerfed, but that’s fair since it was OP to begin with.
– Escaped the shatter nerf. Mesmers rejoice
– Other buffs were nice.

Engineers:
– Changes should be interesting…not sure what to think of everything yet.
– Kit refinement nerf was rough, but I understand why they did it.
– Buffs to turrets look interesting, but I’m not sure if that’s enough to make them viable.

Rangers:
– Quickness nerf was a royal kick in the balls to this class since they rely so much on QZ and pet swap quickness to do dps.
– 1 second duration increase to QZ is a laughable attempt to offset the dps nerf.
– No buff to longbow that was discussed in the GW2 State of the Game
– Spirits are still a terrible option, which is sad. If rangers are going to hit like wet noodles, why not at least let them have a viable support build?

Warriors:
– Will still be rampaging beasts in PvE.
– Banners needed a buff?
– Will CoF P1 speed runs just be ran with 5 warrior now?

That or 2 mesmers to offset the 50% nerf on quickness.

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Dear gods how do I get this title clutter off of my screen?

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Nerfed Quickness. BOO. BOOOOOOOOOO.

My ranger is my favourite too. I started a Warrior (which I find slow and difficult to manage compared to the ranger), got it to level 80, and discovered the huge difference in damage capabilities.

So having JUST MADE the Dreamer a week ago, I’m stabbed in the heart to learn my favourite class (and sigil) have taken a drubbing.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

wauwi.9162

forgot to mention:
no more microstutters when shadows are set to ultra.

try it.

Posted by: MHSZE.5067

MHSZE.5067

Please give me a option to hide title

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

before this patch: ranger —> zephyr --> longbow skill #2 + #5 —> gg
ranger --> zephyr —> revives downed mate instantly
ranger --> friendly mesmer does time warp —> ownownownownown --> zephyr —> ownownownownown
a little bit OP, no?

why?

Instant death? Hardly.

And a nerf to longbow is the absolute last thing that weapon needed for the ranger class as it’s by and large the weakest weapon option available to the class. The only reason to ever use the weapon was always sharpening stones and barrage with opening strike. Thankfully that’s still intact.

The only saving grace is the fact that the nerf was a global change and not ranger specific because if you want to talk extreme then look at the Warrior’s volley kill shot.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Meanwhile, in balance team’s office…
“Bunkers are OP, what do we do?”
“We nerf quickness, the best tool of roamers”
“Genius!”

Posted by: Jordy.1570

Jordy.1570

how can it take 6 month to realize a skill is op by 50%? this is not a small tweak. this is a BIG change/nerf.

ppl were complaining about many things in the past… no reaction…. and now 6 month later everything gets screwed up?

its maybe op in pvp. but this change also affects pve…. we had a problem in pvp, so lets screw up pve and pvp?

will it go on like this? plz let me know! because this is not accaptable for me. changed from guard to mesmer for fractals and now im forced to go back to my faceroll guard. mesmer frac 30+ was already lacking…. dmg is horrible because mob dmg is insane and your illusions r dying to fast. now dmg is low and your biggest grp support spell is kinda useless…..

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

How was Time Warp OP? It has a ridiculously long downtime, as does anything in this game that does something cool.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Mephane.8496

Mephane.8496

Since the specific thread has been closed, I’ll post it here again:

The patch added titles being displayed below player name plates, but without any option to turn those titles off. Many players don’t care about the titles and are now already annoyed by the additional screen clutter, especially with many people around. (cities, large events etc.)

Is there a plan to add an option to disable titles below name plates?

phys.7689

How was Time Warp OP? It has a ridiculously long downtime, as does anything in this game that does something cool.

it wasnt really OP in PVE, people felt it was too powerful in pvp. Some berserk warriors mes parties used it to destroy COF fast probably, but really they were going to destroy it anyhow. not to mention now they can just bring a couple banners and get huge boosts to power and precision for everyone in an area.

The other thing to remember about it, it didnt lower cool downs, so really it was just a burst tool, your not really increasing your damage by much in the long term, aside from AA damage.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Well, on the bright side, my ranger is 400 in jewelry, can always make stuff for my other characters.

I agree with the others on the whole black lion chest “rare drops”. They seem to like this type of money sink. Perhaps they need to change the name to Guild Wars Las Vegas.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

phys.7689

The patch added titles being displayed below player name plates, but without any option to turn those titles off. Many players don’t care about the titles and are now already annoyed by the additional screen clutter, especially with many people around. (cities, large events etc.)

I think if they add such an option it should be an overall disable of names/titles at the same time. Whenever you are looking to see some ones name, you should also see their title.

This would allow you to have even less screen clutter, but still make titles relevant

Posted by: Jordy.1570

Jordy.1570

Imo there has been no problem with quickness in pve. there i maybe a probelem in pvp, but this is no reason to make it useless in pve.

it took 6 month to adress there is a problem. a skill that is 50% imbalanced…. i think its really sad something like this happens… 6 month!!!! this skill has been 50% op. is the balance team bad or stupid?

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

It gave groups a huge boost in boss fights. The cooldown was long, but you only needed it for boss fights, so it doesn’t really matter. Also, stacked groups could often kill bosses before you would need another time warp anyways.

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

it wasnt really OP in PVE, people felt it was too powerful in pvp. Some berserk warriors mes parties used it to destroy COF fast probably, but really they were going to destroy it anyhow. not to mention now they can just bring a couple banners and get huge boosts to power and precision for everyone in an area.

I wish things worked like they did in GW1, where some skills just work differently in a PvP encounter. It would make sense for Quickness to be 100% in world PvE and dungeons, and 50% in WuvWuv and sPvP.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: kishter.9578

kishter.9578

We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I don’t think it is reasonable to claim that killing a boss in 10 seconds in a dungeon isn’t OP…

Posted by: Orpheus.7284

Orpheus.7284

My thoughts is that I think Anet Balance Team mixed up Time Warp with Quickening in general when it comes to PVE…

In PVE quickening did not deserve a nerf, it plays a fun role of risk/reward/burst. Time Warp on the other hand, took that mechanic and just made it super overpowered (no risk, mad reward, not even a burst anymore, just an imba 10 seconds of double damage!!) Please revert Quickening nerf and just nerf Time Warp instead…most mesmers are fine with this Quickening nerf so they should be fine with a half duration Time Warp as well since it’s the same thing.

Posted by: Alad QB.8904

Alad QB.8904

URGENT: An option to hide player titles. Don’t need more confusion on my screen.
While you’re at it, an option to hide player guilds as well, please.

Thank you.

Posted by: Mephane.8496

Mephane.8496

I think if they add such an option it should be an overall disable of names/titles at the same time. Whenever you are looking to see some ones name, you should also see their title.

This would allow you to have even less screen clutter, but still make titles relevant

This already exists. The former option now hides names and titles together. However, names are very useful (especially because of the party/guild name coloring), while titles are not.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

My poor ranger. T_T

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

My how the tears of the flavor of the month reroll mesmers sustains me.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

If your build went from “useful” to “useless” because a 210s CD skill that allows your group to attack faster has been nerfed slightly, you might want to find another build.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

phys.7689

It gave groups a huge boost in boss fights. The cooldown was long, but you only needed it for boss fights, so it doesn’t really matter. Also, stacked groups could often kill bosses before you would need another time warp anyways.

so what your saying is that increasing dps for 8 seconds out of 3 minutes and 30 seconds, boss fights were too easy?

Sounds like a problem with boss fights, not the skill.
lets be honest, this change had no good reason to happen in PVE at all. Its a pvp change.
if some one was going to kill a boss in 8 seconds, now they will take 12, wow we have solved the game.
Maybe if the other mesmer elites werent totally boring/useless it wouldnt be so annoying. To be honest time warp felt like a lot of fun, but it wasnt really that insane in pve, it was a lot more fun then a slow moa transform that barely matters or a mass invis, which in pve is pretty useless.

phys.7689

This already exists. The former option now hides names and titles together. However, names are very useful (especially because of the party/guild name coloring), while titles are not.

so really, you just dont like titles. Sorry but i think titles purpose is to be seen, maybe they can change the font or something, but if titles cant be seen, they serve very little purpose.

I also think people are still getting used to seeing a lot more players with less culling, so its probably partly due to that you feel things are cluttered, but honestly, people wanted to see other players.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

so what your saying is that increasing dps for 8 seconds out of 3 minutes and 30 seconds, boss fights were too easy?

Sounds like a problem with boss fights, not the skill.
lets be honest, this change had no good reason to happen in PVE at all. Its a pvp change.
if some one was going to kill a boss in 8 seconds, now they will take 12, wow we have solved the game.
Maybe if the other mesmer elites werent totally boring/useless it wouldnt be so annoying. To be honest time warp felt like a lot of fun, but it wasnt really that insane in pve, it was a lot more fun then a slow moa transform that barely matters or a mass invis, which in pve is pretty useless.

You just made a great point for and against your argument. The skill did not drastically change the outcome in a PvE battle. That means that the nerf is not very significant in a PvE battle.

That boss fight that takes 3 minutes and 30 seconds will now take 3 minutes and 34 seconds. Oh no!

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Honestly the patch was just lazy.

The quickness nerf was a good one on the whole, but they didn’t even bother trying to balance it around the new numbers. They could have just removed it from the game and had the same practical effect with a lot less work on the programming side.

Deciding to just take a dump on stealth when it’s being used in a way that has counterplay instead of putting any actual effort into closing the stealth abuses? Lazy.

Adding a bunch of new living story instances without even bothering to make sure they naturally ended and had ‘leave instance’ buttons? Sloppy QA if nothing else.

I’m really disappointed. This is the kind of work I expect to see from a F2P Chinese MMO company, not A.Net.

Posted by: Martin Kerstein.3071

Martin Kerstein.3071

Head of Global Community

Quick answer to one of the questions I have seen:

You will still be able to salvage weapons you get from dungeon tokens, the change only applies to vendor weapons you could buy with coins.

Posted by: KazNaka.4718

KazNaka.4718

meh, still no condition damage buff……not impressed.