To ppl that asked for vertical progression...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: hellsmachine.4085

hellsmachine.4085

I’m curious to know if you, the people that asked for vertical progression/gear grind/carrot on a stick, are happy with Ascended gear being added to the game. Is this what you were after? Are you now satisfied? Or are you disappointed? Are you now craving the next level of grind/progression/carrot chasing? Or have you already returned to whatever game it is you came from?

I’d really like to know if this was really worth damaging the game for me and many others.

Those that say Vertical Progression/gear grind is necessary for a games longevity, then how do you explain successful games such as LoL, DOTA 2, GW1, DAY Z and TF2 (currently 10 x more popular than Planteside 2, even after over 6 years.) all thriving with little to no vertical progression/gear grind?

(edited by hellsmachine.4085)

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

<3.
Please take all my cookies. It’s nice to see someone be smart about this.

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

LoL has upside-down vertical progression. Every time I start a match I get kicked back down to lvl 1 :P

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Implemented in the wrong way, but I’m happy it’s there. I’d be happy with Ascended as highest tier for another year or so. Not that I’ll be playing this then, too many poor content updates to keep me interested when things such as Wildstar are released.

As for necessity, it’s not necessary no, but I hate all the games you listed so surely that suggests necessity?

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

FlamingFoxx.1305

If you hate GW1 you shouldn’t be playing GW2. Elitism and kitten like that.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Give it time. Anet cleverly locked ascended behind massive resource collecting and time gates. Once the hardcore “gotta have BiS on all 8 of my toons!” folks finally have their 8+ sets of gear, they’ll be back asking for more.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Flissy.4093

It’s a different game, just bearing the same franchise name and really only sharing in lore. So why not, and who are you to decide what I play?

Light Up the Darkness

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

yes i like the vertical progression and im happy anet go atleast with babysteps this way

im an oldschool gamer and MY games years ago had no lvl cap or things like this and im really annoyed by this facebook generation which want everything for free in games so gamecompanys dont make good games anymore and castrated the gengre MMORPG over the last years

hellsmachine.4085

Not that I’ll be playing this then, too many poor content updates to keep me interested when things such as Wildstar are released.

I assumed this much. Hard core grinders will only be happy with it for a limited time, then move on to the next dopamine fix they can find.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I’m confused how ascended gear has ruined the game for you.

Outside of extreme high level fractals there isn’t a single reason for why you’d need to have it.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

hellsmachine.4085

Well sorry but I’m not going to explain it, as there have been many, many posts that do explain it. This thread is mainly about trying to find answers from those that were begging for it.

Here’s a good article that explains it well.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Meleagar/112012/24237_NCSoft-Sold-Arenanet-and-GW2-Out-For-Nexon-Investment

fellyn.5083

Well sorry but I’m not going to explain it, as there have been many, many posts that do explain it. This thread is mainly about trying to find answers from those that were begging for it.

Perhaps because there is no valid argument for why it’s bad?

hellsmachine.4085

Perhaps because there is no valid argument why it’s bad?

Read my edit.

Flissy.4093

Not that I’ll be playing this then, too many poor content updates to keep me interested when things such as Wildstar are released.

I assumed this much. Hard core grinders will only be happy with it for a limited time, then move on to the next dopamine fix they can find.

I wasn’t referring to vertical progression when I was on about content.

Pretty much the only thing I like in this game are dungeons. Sadly, the game has no dungeon team (as they were fired or moved to living story developers) and there’s only so many times I can run these current dungeons without tiring of them and wanting something fresh.

Living Story is vaguely interesting, but 2-3 hours of simple, basic content bi-weekly (if that) is not enough to keep me playing. It’s something I’d do alongside WS when it’s released.

Any other updates do not interest me as they are not aimed at my type of gaming style.

Light Up the Darkness

(edited by Flissy.4093)

hellsmachine.4085

I wasn’t referring to vertical progression when I was on about content.

Pretty much the only thing I like in this game are dungeons. Sadly, the game has no dungeon team (as they were fired or moved to living story developers) and there’s only so many times I can run these current dungeons without tiring of them and wanting something fresh.

Fair enough.

fellyn.5083

Read my edit.

What a terrible article.

P.S. There is no gear treadmill in GW2.

hellsmachine.4085

Read my edit.

What a terrible article.

P.S. There is no veritcle progression in GW2.

I don’t want to argue, please move along.

fellyn.5083

Read my edit.

What a terrible article.

No I think I’m okay. It’s not up to you who gets to post in this thread.

And posting some nonsense article isn’t a valid answer to how ascended gear has ruined the game for you because the reasons in that article have largely not happened.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

They’ve probably mostly left the game because it’s too grindy.

hellsmachine.4085

Read my edit.

What a terrible article.

And posting some nonsense article isn’t a valid answer to how ascended gear has ruined the game for you because the reasons in that article have largely not happened.

Sure why not, go nuts… Thanks for the free bumps.

Posted by: Mishee.5719

Mishee.5719

I don’t much about how things are working in this industry, but why can’t Anet publish their own game instead of having greedy kitteners as Nexon and Ncsoft up theirs kitten s?

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

I wanted vertical armour design progression but we’ve only gotten ONE new (non-gemstore) armour in the past 1.5 years, and it’s ugly as sin and cost 200-300g to craft

This is why I love my TM SAB skins, because they are unique and required actual work to achieve them.

Posted by: Shadow Blade.1324

Shadow Blade.1324

not sure if trolling or genuinely oblivious

you just have to look at the Spvp changes

replacing the currency you earn through playing the game with the one you buy with your credit card

its all about monetization now and ascended is the primary tool to keep people grinding or pay anet to get gold to skip the tedium.

i wish the devs had a consistent vision and didn’t push out content they know is flawed

hellsmachine.4085

not sure if trolling or genuinely oblivious

you just have to look at the Spvp changes

replacing the currency you earn through playing the game with the one you buy with your credit card

its all about monetization now and ascended is the primary tool to keep people grinding or pay anet to get gold to skip the tedium.

Whilst I completely agree with you, please don’t take his bait. Go with that first instinct you had.

EDIT: What sPvP changes? Can you link them please?

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

It’s a different game, just bearing the same franchise name and really only sharing in lore. So why not, and who are you to decide what I play?

Oh is it? I remembered GW1 being very grindy.

I wanted vertical armour design progression but we’ve only gotten ONE new (non-gemstore) armour in the past 1.5 years, and it’s ugly as sin and cost 200-300g to craft

This is why I love my TM SAB skins, because they are unique and required actual work to achieve them.

Are you talking about horizontal progression?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

(edited by kokiman.2364)

hellsmachine.4085

Oh is it? I remembered GW1 being very grindy.

I also remember it having a stat cap even through expansions.

FlamingFoxx.1305

In what way was GW1 grindy?
The end game achievements like vanquishing and cartography sure. But the game itself was not grindy at all – it was entirely story based and armour was very very easy to get.

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

yes i like the vertical progression and im happy anet go atleast with babysteps this way

im an oldschool gamer and MY games years ago had no lvl cap or things like this and im really annoyed by this facebook generation which want everything for free in games so gamecompanys dont make good games anymore and castrated the gengre MMORPG over the last years

That’s a silly perspective. Video games are recreation … nothing more. We “earn” our right to play the game when we pay our fee, and any one of us has the right to choose games … or lobby for changes to games we’ve bought … that fit our interests.

Some people want to climb ladders for the hell of it, and that’s fine. Others want to jump right into the fun they paid for, and that’s fine as well. When you buy a ticket to a movie you don’t expect to have to memorize all the actors’ names before you see the show. When you buy a ticket to a concert you don’t expect to have to learn how to play every instrument before you’re allowed to hear anything. When you go to a restaurant you don’t expect to have to run around the block seven times before they let you in the door. When you go to the park to play basketball you don’t expect to have to sew up a new jersey before you’re allowed on the court.

I’ll bet I’m way older than you are, and I think your comment about “the Facebook generation wanting everything for free” is just a rude, erroneous, and petty way to denigrate folks who don’t happen to think like you do.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Shadow Blade.1324

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/phasing-out-pvp-glory/

basically this time next month glory and all spvp rewards will be gone with the exception of the new vendor and there will be a slight boost to silver earned for completing matches which will be used to purchase rewards when they eventually add a new reward system (who knows when)

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Halp-Open-Match-Chests-Nao/first#post3652111

all glory boosters are also being removed so hope you didn’t buy any when they were selling them last week

edit : fixed date

i wish the devs had a consistent vision and didn’t push out content they know is flawed

(edited by Shadow Blade.1324)

kokiman.2364

In what way was GW1 grindy?
The end game achievements like vanquishing and cartography sure. But the game itself was not grindy at all – it was entirely story based and armour was very very easy to get.

PvE skills, faction-based titles that gave you access to armor, weapons and consumables and in the first year getting BiS gear was expensive aswell (runes, upgrades)

GuildWars 2

Posted by: yayuuu.9420

yayuuu.9420

I’m curious to know if you, the people that asked for vertical progression/gear grind/carrot on a stick, are happy with Ascended gear being added to the game. Is this what you were after? Are you now satisfied? Or are you disappointed? Are you now craving the next level of grind/progression/carrot chasing? Or have you already returned to whatever game it is you came from?

I’d really like to know if this was really worth damaging the game for me and many others.

Those that say Vertical Progression is necessary for a games longevity, then how do you explain successful games such as LoL, DOTA 2, GW1, DAY Z and TF2 (currently 10 x more popular than Planteside 2, even after over 6 years.) all thriving with little to no vertical progression?

If you want to know my opinion about ascended – I have left the game a month after release. I was able to get lvl 80 and full exotic armor in less than one month, then I did almost all of the dungeons and for another week I had no motication to do anything in the game. Now I came back partially with introduction of ascended weapon crafting and now I’m playing GW2 as my main MMORPG since they added asdended armor craft. Ascended brought me back to the game. I fully enjoy progression, it gives me a reason to play, to get my equipment maxed.

You have mentioned about games without vertical progression, like LOL, DOTA, TF2 – none of them is a MMORPG. It’s a completly different game, so comparing them to GW2 is not good.

On the other hand, GW1 was more like a singleplayer game for me. I have finished campaigns and left the game for few months, then I turned it on again, created a new character, finished campaigns and left it again, for good. There was no reason for me to do anything else in the game than story. It was a solid game, but I would compare it to games like Heretic 2, Drakan or Tomb Raider, just complete missions and game over.

hellsmachine.4085

basically as of later today glory and all spvp rewards will be gone with the exception of the new vendor and there will be a slight boost to silver earned for completing matches which will be used to purchase rewards when they eventually add a new reward system (who knows when)

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Halp-Open-Match-Chests-Nao/first#post3652111

all glory boosters are also being removed so hope you didn’t buy any when they were selling them last week

Wow, that’s scary, I won’t be surprised if they add in game power advantages into the vendor. It starting to seem like NCSoft doesn’t care who they tick off, casuals, hard core, P2W players, you name it.

Just trying to inflate those share prices, so they can sell out and jump ship. Then shutdown the servers like they did with CoH.

Don’t think I’ll be wasting any more time with this game. Not even going to bother with Wildstar.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The people I know that were accustomed to vertical progression as a standard feature (WoW types) quit the game shortly before fractals were released. By that time, they completed all the dungeons, did WvW a few times and saw nothing left to do. This was around the time the forums were filled with complaints about exotics and the lack of progression. They came back for a short while after fractals were released, just long enough to get the rings but then quit and never looked back. Taking an entire year to release a single tier isn’t going to work for those truly needing vertical progression. They did originally play GW1, but only long enough to beat the game. They’ve since moved on to WildStar.

I also know one PvP oriented player that wanted vertical progression in SPvP although he disliked it in the past. In past MMOs, he would use it as an excuse for losing (mostly 1vs1), complaining about the difference in gear. With no gear progression at all for motivation however, he only lasted a few weeks.

I don’t think any of them truly cared about cosmetics.

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

DOTA 2

DOTA 2 has a “player skill” vertical progression system. They players themselves (in real life) skill up – with more practice they become better.

Exactly like GW2 has always had – player skill outranks that extra 5% stats by an extremely large margin. I agree completely OP.

To be fair though, having something to work toward (ascended) is nice.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

LoL-Not an MMO
DotA- Not an MMO
GW1-Not an MMO
DayZ-Not an MMO
TF2-Not an MMO

What MMO has been thriving and raking in the most money? Not a horizontal progression one I can tell you that.

Horizontal Progression is a myth. If you progress, it’s always vertical. Otherwise it’s not progression.

(edited by Moderator)

hellsmachine.4085

Those that say Vertical Progression is necessary for a games longevity, then how do you explain successful games such as LoL, DOTA 2, GW1, DAY Z and TF2 (currently 10 x more popular than Planteside 2, even after over 6 years.) all thriving with little to no vertical progression?

If you want to know my opinion about ascended – I have left the game a month after release. I was able to get lvl 80 and full exotic armor in less than one month, then I did almost all of the dungeons and for another week I had no motication to do anything in the game. Now I came back partially with introduction of ascended weapon crafting and now I’m playing GW2 as my main MMORPG since they added asdended armor craft. Ascended brought me back to the game. I fully enjoy progression, it gives me a reason to play, to get my equipment maxed.

You have mentioned about games without vertical progression, like LOL, DOTA, TF2 – none of them is a MMORPG. It’s a completly different game, so comparing them to GW2 is not good.

On the other hand, GW1 was more like a singleplayer game for me. I have finished campaigns and left the game for few months, then I turned it on again, created a new character, finished campaigns and left it again, for good. There was no reason for me to do anything else in the game than story. It was a solid game, but I would compare it to games like Heretic 2, Drakan or Tomb Raider, just complete missions and game over.

Well GW2 was supposed to be the MMORPG that broke the chains, changed the rules and shifted paradigm of the MMORPG genre.

To quote Steve Jobs “You can’t look at the competition and say we’re going to
do it better. You’ve got to say we’re going to do it different.”

That should have been the mantra that Anet lived by.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

basically as of later today glory and all spvp rewards will be gone with the exception of the new vendor and there will be a slight boost to silver earned for completing matches which will be used to purchase rewards when they eventually add a new reward system (who knows when)

Ummm don’t spread misinformation:
From the same link you posted: “This post is to let you know that glory will no longer be awarded as of a maintenance build that is currently planned for March 18.”

I’m SURE March 18 is not later today. You are a month too early…

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Both ascended crafting patches were my favourites from last year

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Shadow Blade.1324

Ummm don’t spread misinformation:
From the same link you posted: “This post is to let you know that glory will no longer be awarded as of a maintenance build that is currently planned for March 18.”

I’m SURE March 18 is not later today. You are a month too early…

my apologies i misread as i skimmed it, will blame my lack of sleep for this lapse and edit it

Posted by: TheGaryTh.1649

TheGaryTh.1649

I honestly like the ascended weapons and armors, just because it gives us something other than legendaries to aim for. I really enjoy this game, however I feel that if ascended gear wasn’t implemented, I’d be less interested just because I find the current legendaries to be not that great especially for their expensive price tags.

Many popular games don’t necessarily have vertical progression, but that have more of a prestige progression where things can be unlocked by leveling up, killing x amount of things or by obtaining items. Especially in today’s current games, vertical progression isn’t a thing because of how it would be seen as unlocking more overpowered things, however in mmorpgs I like to see vertical progression because that style of progression works really well with the genre

If Anet where to take away any sort of vertical progression, GW2 would certainly become pretty boring. It’d just be be more of an empty shell. The vertical progression right now i for legendaries and ascended gear and if you take that away you’re left with plain exotic stats as the best gear.

Currently, with how easy it is to get exotic gear, we’d see more of the hardcore players turn into casuals since, there is hardly anything to do except dungeons, pvp, and searching for vanity items. There would be less grind, sure many people may like it, but it’d get boring fast. Sad to say, grinding makes the player more attached to the game because of how much time is invested.

kokiman.2364

I believe GW2 could have survived with horizontal progression added, similar to how it was in GW1. We will never know now, because it’s too late to take it away.

P l e a s e s t o p saying that GW1 had no vertical progression, it’s like you didn’t even play the game. Like I said in my earlier posts in many posts before that in other threads. There was a vertikal progression in the game, getting Best in Slot gear at release forced you to grind.
Getting max armor and max weapons was easy but putting those max upgrades and max runes on them was expensive as hell. I personally never bothered to buy a superior rune of health up until NF was released an all those prices went downhill really fast.
After the release of Factions they started to add factiontitles (kurzick, luxon, later with NF: lightbringer, sunspear and with g:wen: deldrimor, asura, ebonblade and slayer). Reaching the maximum title on any of those factions did involve lots of grinding and they did improve PvE skills (skills that were just usable in PvE and im comparision to the GW2 PvE exclusive heal skill, actually pretty strong) so you can’t say “they didn’t matter anyway”. GW1 was grindy, GW2 is grindy. Get used to it, any orpg involves some kind of grinding.

GuildWars 2

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Eh, it gives me something to do. In the background, way, Way, WAY below the level of active priority. Guild says “hey, World boss about to start” and I go. But I’m not stalking them myself.

I’m trying to work up the will to build a Volcanus. I have nearly all the cores I need, but mashing them into lodestones is just not a thrilling prospect. Ascended Armor/Weapons are just something that pop up once in a while when I decide I have too much Dragonite laying around. Its not like their hard to make if you’e not in a rush. Ascended jewelry is mostly a matter of doing dailies and all my many 80s have necklaces and rings, with a few sporting accessories also.

This biggest delay was banging out the crafting levels – I didn’t need nearly the number of Exotic Items as that requires, so now I have sets of full sets of Exotic Gear siting in the invisible bags of all my low level characters too…

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

hellsmachine.4085

Well I can understand why some of you are defending Vertical Progression, but believe it or not there is a demand for an MMORPG without grind.

Saying that players will leave without vertical progression, well there’s no evidence of that because as stated, such an MMORPG does not exist yet.

I believe there are many different ways to keep a player hooked, be it new skills, new maps, new PvP modes, new weapon types etc. These are just a few examples All it takes is some creativity and for some one to think outside of the box.

Progression doesn’t have to be vertical. And if you’re not interested in an MMORPG without it. That’s fine because I know that many people are.

Hopefully a developer somewhere is reading this right now and starts to make a new game all together as I believe it’s too late for GW2.

Saying an MMORPG needs grind because all MMORPGs have grind is a cop out.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Arenanet tried an interesting approach by creating a vertical progression that’s truly optional.

What surprises me is how many people claim to hate vertical progression but are just unable to walk away from it.

I dont mean this to antagonize anyone but if one doesnt like PvP generally they simply dont play PvP they dont feel betrayed by the developer because they introduce optional PvP why is Ascended gear any different ?

As long as no content released requires Ascended gear, as long as everyone gets the same stats in sPvP and as long as WvW never becomes about small group player on player engagements it will really not have harmed anyone.

Players say they dont want Vertical progression but seems to me in truth they want one just one that can be reached very quickly.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Well I can understand why some of you are defending Vertical Progression, but believe it or not there is a demand for an MMORPG without grind.

Saying that players will leave without vertical progression, well there’s no evidence of that because as stated, such an MMORPG does not exist yet.

I believe there are many different ways to keep a player hooked, be it new skills, new maps, new PvP modes, new weapon types etc. These are just a few examples All it takes is some creativity and for some one to think outside of the box.

Progression doesn’t have to be vertical. And if you’re not interested in an MMORPG without it. That’s fine because I know that many people are.

Hopefully a developer somewhere is reading this right now and starts to make a new game all together as I believe it’s too late for GW2.

Saying an MMORPG needs grind because all MMORPGs have grind is a cop out.

Thing is progression and grind arent the same thing. You can have vertical progression without grind and you can have grind without vertical progression. Grind is tricky to qualify because it includes 2 elements. boring repetition. Every MMORPG has repetition and thats unavoidable, its simply impossible to create more content than players can consume and even if that were possible there are just so many different things a game can get you to do. Boring on the other hand is subjective. Gw1 had just a little vertical progression sure but plenty of people consider it grindy.

simply speaking the only way to figure grind is to provide players with options. In your typical MMO you want the best gear set? well one way to get that which is do this raid. If you’re not enjoying that raid than its grind cause the repetition is like a core part of the process. Gw2 tried to avoid that by giving players options. There are a ton of activities you can do to get whatever reward you want (except for the dungeon skins) including not going for the reward at all which in most MMOs it isnt an option if you want to keep playing the game.

The glory change for example is designed to reduce grind. How? well a player who loves PvP will do that most of the time but alas will have a problem because if s/he wants to branch out to WvW / PvE the mass of glory he accumulated will not be much use. By unifying the currency between the two it removes the need for him to take out his/her credit card or grind content s/he doesnt enjoy in order to get the goodies they might want from WvW / PvE.

hellsmachine.4085

Arenanet tried an interesting approach by creating a vertical progression that’s truly optional.

What surprises me is how many people claim to hate vertical progression but are just unable to walk away from it.

I dont mean this to antagonize anyone but if one doesnt like PvP generally they simply dont play PvP they dont feel betrayed by the developer because they introduce optional PvP why is Ascended gear any different ?

As long as no content released requires Ascended gear, as long as everyone gets the same stats in sPvP and as long as WvW never becomes about small group player on player engagements it will really not have harmed anyone.

Players say they dont want Vertical progression but seems to me in truth they want one just one that can be reached very quickly.

If Ascended gear was capped to exotic stats in WvW, then I would agree that Ascended is optional. but it still gives a player an advantage, how large the advantage is irrelevant. An advantage is an advantage. If you want to be the best you can be in WvW it requires best gear and the best gear is Ascended.

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

Wow, that’s scary, I won’t be surprised if they add in game power advantages into the vendor. It starting to seem like NCSoft doesn’t care who they tick off, casuals, hard core, P2W players, you name it.

Just trying to inflate those share prices, so they can sell out and jump ship. Then shutdown the servers like they did with CoH.

Don’t think I’ll be wasting any more time with this game. Not even going to bother with Wildstar.

So you dont like gear progression but you would try wildstar!?

hellsmachine.4085

I said I’m not going to bother with it. How did you manage to misinterpret that?

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

I said I’m not going to bother with it. How did you manage to misinterpret that?

ye you said you wouldnt bother with it because “Just trying to inflate those share prices, so they can sell out and jump ship. Then shutdown the servers like they did with CoH.”

Posted by: Deadcell.9052

Deadcell.9052

I am ok with vertical progression as long as there is a reason for it and it is earned through meaningful, interesting, and skillful ways. Gw2 there is no reason for Ascended, none of the content warrants a higher statistical tier, even in Fractals they could of easily accomplished the necessary agony resist through sigils and runes. The game was not designed for V.I, and Ascended was implemented in the most boring non skillful way possible, they just added a heavy grind for the sake of grinding. Bottom line is if you want a game that offers V.I just about every other MMO on the market does it much better, Gw2 was supposed to break away from the traditional MMO design, its sad that the majority of MMO’ers these day only know the WoW model and are unable to adapt to something different, and unfortunately forced an unnecessary change to Gw2’s design.

I feel Gw2 would have been just fine if they just stuck to what they originally advertised and stayed the course, but we will never know now, they had to choose between a player base who accepted for what Gw2 was and a base that could not, they chose the ones who could not. Only time will tell if it was the right decision.