Unidentified gear - Please No, No, No, Nooooo

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Excellent Name.9574

Excellent Name.9574

Unidentified gear, why, oh why? It is a redundant RNG throwback to old style action RPGs that serves no purpose in Guild Wars 2, just adds to tedium and annoyance. Please remove it from PoF release.

(edited by Excellent Name.9574)

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

yeah i don’t miss identification kits from guildwars1 at all… and in gw2 they are just an additional unnecessary gold sink.. just don’t include unidentified gear at all.. please! leave them identified from the get go :>

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Unidentified gear, why, oh why? It is a redundant RNG throwback to old style action RPGs that serves no purpose in Guild Wars, just adds to tedium and annoyance. Please remove it from PoF release.

Except it was in Guild Wars since inception.

I like it, personally. Saves space.

Good luck.

Posted by: Fractured.3928

Fractured.3928

Yeah I’m pretty against this, and I spend a ton of money on the store. Pushing the boundaries on this one ANET.

AncientYs.8613

Unidentified gear, why, oh why? It is a redundant RNG throwback to old style action RPGs that serves no purpose in Guild Wars, just adds to tedium and annoyance. Please remove it from PoF release.

Good luck.

but it hasn’t been in gw2 before they introduced it back again with PoF so why?

in core tyria and HoT we didn’t have it and we did just fine..

we also didn’t need to bring it back to life from gw1 imo.. and making them unidentified gear and making us identify them for coins is just no fun..

I think salvaging is enough. I don’t want to have to carry extra id kits in addition to salvage kits..

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Good luck.

we also didn’t need to bring it back to life from gw1 imo.. and making them unidentified gear and making us identify them for coins is just no fun..

I think salvaging is enough. I don’t want to have to carry extra id kits in addition to salvage kits..

Cant you just salvage them without identifying?

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

Good luck.

You can, did it a few times today. Got a bit too much mats out of the gear.^^

Excellent Name.9574

Good luck.

Yes, You can, but You’d be wasting rare and exotic gear in the process.

Posted by: Laivine.9308

Laivine.9308

Good luck.

Yes but you may salvage exotics and precursors, as they can hide in the “green unidentified” objects.

Anet at least make them group by rarity. Please! Green objects (for whites, blues, greens) yellow and orange. Please!

Ashen.2907

Good luck.

I was just seeking onfirmation of what I thought I had seen during my time in the demo.

The person I quoted said that they felt salvaging was enough and that they didnt want to have to carry an Id kit. I guess it is confirmed that they do not need to carry an Id kit, and can stick to salvaging.

AncientYs.8613

Good luck.

I was just seeking onfirmation of what I thought I had seen during my time in the demo.

The person I quoted said that they felt salvaging was enough and that they didnt want to have to carry an Id kit. I guess it is confirmed that they do not need to carry an Id kit, and can stick to salvaging.

as you said, we can stick to just salvaging without id’ing them but as another person mentioned we would lose out on rare or exotics if we just salvaged them instead of identifying them first..

so in essence Anet has brought back the old system from gw1 where unidentified items MUST be identified first before salvaging in order to not destroy any rare or exotics in the process. I really wish they didn’t bring back this system of identifying.. i hated it in Gw1.. =/

Posted by: RedDeadFred.1256

RedDeadFred.1256

I’m happy with it. Saves a ton of space and when I salvage them I don’t have to worry about a bunch of useless sigils clogging up my inventory. You guys are acting like this is anti-consumer, but I’d say it’s the exact opposite. You should never feel tempted again to buy extra bag slots and you can play longer without having to go to a vendor.

IMO, the pros vastly out-weigh the cons.

Laivine.9308

Good luck.

I identified a bunch a while ago for first time ( I was just salvaging so far) and there were 2 exotics in those. So if you don’t wanna salvage a precursor, I suggest to identify first.

Ashen.2907

Good luck.

as you said, we can stick to just salvaging without id’ing them but as another person mentioned we would lose out on rare or exotics if we just salvaged them instead of identifying them first..

so in essence Anet has brought back the old system from gw1 where unidentified items MUST be identified first before salvaging in order to not destroy any rare or exotics in the process. I really wish they didn’t bring back this system of identifying.. i hated it in Gw1.. =/

Looks like players will have a choice between speedy convenience and gambling for higher rewards. Hopefully the unid will stack to adress some of the complaints about inventory management during play.

Laivine.9308

I’m happy with it. Saves a ton of space and when I salvage them I don’t have to worry about a bunch of useless sigils clogging up my inventory. You guys are acting like this is anti-consumer, but I’d say it’s the exact opposite. You should never feel tempted again to buy extra bag slots and you can play longer without having to go to a vendor.

Salvaging a precursor just because of convenience, is what I was praying for all these years. yep!

Excellent Name.9574

If this is a solution to overfilling the inventory it is a “Great” one. There are at least several in my mind as I am writing this that would have been far better and would not ask for 1.68 silver for each salvage, basically defeating the salvaging purpose.

Posted by: Lupini.6938

Lupini.6938

I would rather just get the loot rather than have to fuss with unidentified stuff. It seems like putting an extra tax on us for loot drops, or more busy work. Someone pointed out that it gets rid of the “bag in a bag” problem, but seems like that could have just been dealt with by giving us another piece or two of loot rather than bags in bags!

I’ll probably just be lazy and salvage them. I haven’t gotten a precursor drop yet, and don’t really expect one ever.

Laivine.9308

I would rather just get the loot rather than have to fuss with unidentified stuff. It seems like putting an extra tax on us for loot drops, or more busy work. Someone pointed out that it gets rid of the “bag in a bag” problem, but seems like that could have just been dealt with by giving us another piece or two of loot rather than bags in bags!

I’ll probably just be lazy and salvage them. I haven’t gotten a precursor drop yet, and don’t really expect one ever.

You realize that you are getting among loot exotics with runes/sigils that cost more than 1-3 ectos you may salvage them into right? When you salvage the unidentified gear you don’t even getting the runes/sigirls out of them anymore. Also some skins cost a good amount of gold still. Major gold sink over here.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

So with this unidentified gear it not only costs coin to identify it but you also have to go to a heart vendor to do it? Seems like an annoying system just to save some bag space.

The Burninator

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

If this is a solution to overfilling the inventory it is a “Great” one. There are at least several in my mind as I am writing this that would have been far better and would not ask for 1.68 silver for each salvage, basically defeating the salvaging purpose.

It costs 1.68 silver to ID the gear not salvage it.

This is why this system is good—if you don’t care about rare/exotic drops you can just salvage from the get go. If you’re farming your inventory will never get clogged up with sigils and runes, and then you can ID the gear for a chance of getting higher tier gear.

Think of it this way, you have to option to turn the unid gear into mats, or you can play the feelin’ lucky card for a chance at Rare or Exotics. Two options.

You can also save up the gear until you have multiple stacks, from which you can then ID them.

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

Next: Copper-Fed Identify-o-Matic = 1000 gems

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Zephar.4519

Zephar.4519

Yeah I have to say ‘unidentified gear’ is really lazy and last decade. Try harder ANet.

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

I like it honestly. Just can just salvage them and they stack so it doesn’t fill up your bags. I know people keep,saying “oh but it could have rare/exotic/pre” but in,all honesty the likelihood of these things being anything meaningful is slim to none.

I can already see the next complaint though. Someone is going to complain that they id 10 stacks of gear and got nothing but greens and blues.

Excellent Name.9574

It costs 1.68 silver to ID the gear not salvage it.

This is why this system is good—if you don’t care about rare/exotic drops you can just salvage from the get go. If you’re farming your inventory will never get clogged up with sigils and runes, and then you can ID the gear for a chance of getting higher tier gear.

Think of it this way, you have to option to turn the unid gear into mats, or you can play the feelin’ lucky card for a chance at Rare or Exotics. Two options.

You can also save up the gear until you have multiple stacks, from which you can then ID them.

Yes, sorry 1.68 to ID them. But it is that price that is defeating salvaging or IDing them. 90% of the time that would be the value of salvaged material with momentary fluctuations during the release of new craftable gear. So without IDing them You are losing on higher profit or unlocks through rares and exotics, but if You do ID them, then the salvage value of blue and green gear is positive 0 as You will Yourself be paying for Your mats.

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

Agree on unidentified having rarities, it’ll still save space, which is important and frustrating, because there will be like… 4/5 types of stacks. But i do want these stacks

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

I agree that IDing gear is the better way to go.

But even then, you’re never required to ID gear. Some folks will prefer salvaging some will prefer IDing.

No need to ID every day, just save up stacks beforehand to save the hassle of IDing everything. I don’t understsnd why it’s an inconvenience if you can just do it once a week after farming.

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I love the idea of unid gear, makes for easy inv management. But, only if they group exotics as a separate unid item, I don’t care about rares but exotics drop rarely enough that they deserve an unid trophy item of their own.

Posted by: Last Warrior Lord.7248

Last Warrior Lord.7248

Agree, they are trying to use the old system idea from GW1. Please don’t revert back to the one thing I and others hated in GW1 (7years).

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

I do not like this mechanic at all, but if arena net does go forward with this, one thing I do ask for is different rarity unidentified pieces (basic, fine, masterwork, rare, and exotic) so we don’t have to identify every single piece just for a chance at an rare/exotic.

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

AncientYs.8613

Agree, they are trying to use the old system idea from GW1. Please don’t revert back to the one thing I and others hated in GW1 (7years).

yeah i agree with you.. i hated having id kits around in gw1 because i hated the idea of salvaging rare or exotic gear so i was FORCED to id them first..

ugh it was such a chore!! Anet why did you bring back to gw2 such a redundant and worthless system ?

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I like it – takes care of clutter. So far it’s okay.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

As far as I recall, you could still see rarity before identifying or salvaging in GW1. There’re blue unindentified objects, purple and gold unidentified.

There’s been lots of rants about the clutter of bags, due to useless blue and green items, so I’m for that idea of making everything stack that way.

I endorse the idea of having blue, green, yellow and orange unidentified items though.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

It really makes no sense to include an old GW1 mechanic in GW2 five (!) years after release. There were many great things about GW1 that deserve inclusion, this isn’t one of them. Why? Because we have the already expensive salvage kits (those from the store eat up my coin too), so introducing something that additionally drains my coin purse is a huge no-no.

Tip: If you don’t want to lose more players, do better with the story writing and personalized content. More requirements to grind won’t keep people in the game. A happy customer is a loyal customer.

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

AncientYs.8613

It really makes no sense to include an old GW1 mechanic in GW2 five (!) years after release. There were many great things about GW1 that deserve inclusion, this isn’t one of them. Why? Because we have the already expensive salvage kits (those from the store eat up my coin too), so introducing something that additionally drains my coin purse is a huge no-no.

yeah well said :> i 100% agree!

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

So, unidentified gear is just a new loot item. It’s not actually gear in the same way that chests aren’t gear. You don’t identify them, you talk to heart vendors to open them for a chance at junk, or you can just directly salvage them for components. It’s not actually that big of a deal. Nor what you’re making it out to be.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

Let me ask you something: Do you care at all about Masterwork-tier gear? No, of course you don’t. Nobody at max level should care about greens; by the time they hit 80, they have a full set of (underleveled) Exotic gear (which is still better than blue/green lv 80). Now, imagine if the green garbage nobody cares about stacked in your inventory so you can carry more of it, and salvaging it didn’t fill your inventory with useless/worthless sigils. “Would that be worth somethin’ to ya, laddie?”

PS: Can confirm, unid gear is sorted by tier, and have never seen an unid Rare or Exotic, despite several drops.

Posted by: Last Warrior Lord.7248

Last Warrior Lord.7248

Agree on unidentified having rarities, it’ll still save space, which is important and frustrating, because there will be like… 4/5 types of stacks. But i do want these stacks

this would be better

Posted by: SnowPumpkin.1809

SnowPumpkin.1809

I agree…I think if they had rarities that would be much better. I like this idea. My inventory when I’m in WVW fills up to darn fast and we don’t get enough MFS to make MSK so I’m filling up half my inventory with salvage kits.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I plan on giving them another try by buying PoF. But, if this is in the release, I’ll retract that statement. It’s unacceptable.

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

Unidentified gear, why, oh why? It is a redundant RNG throwback to old style action RPGs that serves no purpose in Guild Wars 2, just adds to tedium and annoyance. Please remove it from PoF release.

It does serve a purpose, however. Identifying it isn’t required, you can simply salvage it. Which reduces the inventory clutter dramatically. No more Unusable Weapon of Uselessness polluting your inventory with Minor Sigils of Inadequateness.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

What’s the big deal? You can either trade the unidentified gear to a NPC for a random piece of equipment of random quality, or you can just salvage it for crafting materials. You’ve got nothing to lose either way.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Excellent Name.9574

It does serve a purpose, however. Identifying it isn’t required, you can simply salvage it. Which reduces the inventory clutter dramatically. No more Unusable Weapon of Uselessness polluting your inventory with Minor Sigils of Inadequateness.

I don’t think You understand how this works. Salvaging unidentified gear makes You no profit as you are paying a high value for identifying items and if You are bothered with clutter what was stopping you to fast sell it to vendors? Or not auto loot at all, just loot what has value to You. Besides is anyone prepared to throw away rare and exotic stuff?

Posted by: Mithos.9023

Mithos.9023

While I first thought the overall idea would be good, now that I tested it I changed my mind. While saving inventory space and being able to salvage without getting green sigils is huge improvement the downsides render this system near useless.

- you now have to spend an huge amount of money to get the gear identified
- without identifying you lose the chance of getting rare items
- It is an even worse time waste than the current inventory management as you always have to actually move to a heart npc to get the identification

If the unidentified items would have tiers based on rarity it would work, as you could salvage the worthless things and drop by the npc every now and then to only identify the items that are actually worth it.

And next champ bags drop normal gear instead of the new unidentified items and therefore are contra productive, if the new systems will stay, as you get again the green and blue items that clog up your inventory and drop the useless sigils by salvaging.

We need build and gear-templates!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Lol, exactly. Saves space and is kind of a neat throwback, I like it.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Seriously. There’s nothing to identify. It functions similar to petrified wood, bloodstone crystals, jade shards, winterberries, etc. You either salvage it, or use it as a form of currency and trade it to a NPC for a random item.

I plan on giving them another try by buying PoF. But, if this is in the release, I’ll retract that statement. It’s unacceptable.

Geez. Some people trigger easily.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

Sure it does reduce clutter, but you’ll be losing out on nice exotics and precursors as well. Also it costs 1 silver 68 copper per identify which is ridiculous, and currently you have to go to a heart vendor to do this each time you want to identify items.

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

(edited by Nihevil.8024)

Posted by: felincyriac.5981

felincyriac.5981

+1 to separating the unid gear based on rarity. I feared something like this would happen. It’s also pretty much confirmed that there will be a gem-store identifying kit planned.

AncientYs.8613

Sure it does reduce clutter, but you’ll be losing out on nice exotics and precursors as well. Also it costs 1 silver 68 copper per identify which is ridiculous, and currently you have to go to a heart vendor to do this each time you want to identify items.

This is aweful! it costs alot for one and second it can only be done at heart vendors?? what were they thinking!! =/ just give me some id kits then instead and save me the hassle of unlocking a heart vendor each time just to id that kitten !

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

Geez. Some people trigger easily.

Yeah. I’m on the edge of a razor with this game. They really blew it with HoT. It won’t take much to sour me, and going back to a horrid mechanic from GW1’s days fits that role very nicely.

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

Well I wonder if Magic Find (the unwanted baby) will work when IDing?