Unidentified gear - Please No, No, No, Nooooo

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gudy.3607

Gudy.3607

The unidentified gear system as it was in the demo is unacceptable.

Unidentified gear needs to at least be grouped by rarity. If this cannot be done, then the system should be scrapped altogether and loot should function as in HoT and core.

Also, if you’re gonna make me trek back to a heart NPC to identify gear, then identification better be free.

Or keep the total cost of identification as is, but allow us to identify from anywhere.

No amount of inventory slot saving is worth the hassle of the unidentified gear system as it was in the demo. The above requests are the absolute minimum to make the whole system acceptable to me.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

Anet got inspired by the recent wannacry attack and created ransom loot.

Posted by: Nilix.2170

Nilix.2170

At current prices:
(Salvaged)10g,1s,48c profit worth in mats
vs
(ID+Salvage)4g,20s,06c profit worth in mats and sigils + 94 Eyes of Kormir

I don’t remember if Eyes of Kormir are account bound or not, but for the latter to surpass the former, the Eyes need to have a value of 6.19s each.
Which it probably WILL if it’s not account bound. All things considered though, Path of Fire is going to affect the value of materials directly so my current numbers can be completely out of relevance once the game comes out.

Mortar Shot is STILL nerfed by 28%
Purity of Purpose

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

The loot system needs an overhaul in general as it is just to much clicking and space management as is. Having stacks of loot by rarity would be great but using a vendor to ID them ONE AT A TIME is just madness. I would be fine treating exotics one at a time, but everything lower than that should be quickly and easily salvageable, with ectos potentially coming out of rare loot.

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

Why would changes like this not be mentioned before you start accepting money for the product? This seems purely to make you spend more gold, which is already scarce but can be bought with gems. Shame on ANet.

(edited by GreyWolf.8670)

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

Why would changes like this not be mentioned before you start accepting money for the product? This seems purely to make you spend more gold, which is already scarce but can be bought with gems. Shame on ANet.

There are plenty of players who would want to buy it right away after it’s announced. Myself included.

The announcement stated there would be a preview weekend for everyone to try it. So the question should be, if your decision to purchase could be swayed by changes in the game then why would you not wait to play the preview before purchasing?

Edit: Also, gold is certainly not scarce in the game. Not in the least.

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

There are plenty of players who would want to buy it right away after it’s announced. Myself included.

The announcement stated there would be a preview weekend for everyone to try it. So the question should be, if your decision to purchase could be swayed by changes in the game then why would you not wait to play the preview before purchasing?

I’m not sure if you didn’t actually read my brief post or chose to ignore it. I also bought it shortly after it was available but this annoys me. Things like this that make fundamental changes to core parts of the game should have been announced before they accepted money for it. This thread shows that. I hate unidentified loot. I threw it away in GW1.

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

I’m not sure if you didn’t actually read my brief post or chose to ignore it. I also bought it shortly after it was available but this annoys me. Things like this that make fundamental changes to core parts of the game should have been announced before they accepted money for it. This thread shows that. I hate unidentified loot. I threw it away in GW1.

My post was a direct response to your post.

Again, the announcement of the expansion stated there would be a preview weekend. You chose to purchase before actually playing the preview. That’s your fault, nobody else’s.

Also, since it hasn’t actually released yet, you could simply open a ticket and request a refund explaining that you purchased before trying the preview and that you were not happy with the preview. Arena.net are usually very helpful with that sort of thing.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’m wondering if we’re really losing anything. If unidentified gear stacks, then how can the game identify which one is an exotic and which isn’t? Is there a secret, unseen list that keeps track of the identity of the items that have yet to be claimed?

From the sound of things, unidentified gear is just another die roll that drops on top of the kinds of drops you would normally get. Is there any proof that we’re missing out on rare and exotic drops that we otherwise would’ve gotten?

There is no list, it’s more RNG. The phrase “missing out on rares/exotics” is to indicate that if we salvage unids, those might have ID’d into rares or exotic.

In that case, I do not see the problem. If something we previously earned is being taken away due to unids, then there would be a problem. But if it is an additional system added on to loot that people are complaining about gambling on, then that is strictly an opt-in system. I’m going to salvage all my unids and never look back.

I’ve yet to see a definitive statement from anyone which suggests that we will still get the normal chance at rares and exotics as we get elsewhere. All I got was blue and green normal drops, but that might be due to a relatively small sample size.

It’s the other way around. You’ll have to prove that we’re losing out on drops elsewhere with the unids. It is a bit defeatists to assume a new system is inherently ripping you off via hidden changes to loot ratios mentioned nowhere.

This is ANet we’re talking about, remember. NPE? Adept traits available at L36 that unlocked in L60 areas? “Every player by level 80 should have max stat gear?” Not enough MP’s to be able to fully progress and avoid niche content on HoT launch.

I always, always, always assume the worst. That way I won’t be disappointed.

For me, the system kittens kitten. If I got an Unid’d drop I did not get a regular one at the same time. Paying to ID plus do heart plus go to vendor makes it more clicking and more tedious. If PoF needs to resort to this lame gimmick to keep people playing, ANet has sunk to a new low.

Exotics and rares still drop separate of the unID items in the demo.

OK, that’s fine. I wonder how drop rates are affected, but whatever. Still, ID’ing was done better in GW, where you could see the item rarity and thus make a better-informed choice. If it turns out the only value to IDing is to get weapon skins, then I suppose I can live with it, though I’m never going to like this inconvenience feature.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I’m wondering if we’re really losing anything. If unidentified gear stacks, then how can the game identify which one is an exotic and which isn’t? Is there a secret, unseen list that keeps track of the identity of the items that have yet to be claimed?

From the sound of things, unidentified gear is just another die roll that drops on top of the kinds of drops you would normally get. Is there any proof that we’re missing out on rare and exotic drops that we otherwise would’ve gotten?

There is no list, it’s more RNG. The phrase “missing out on rares/exotics” is to indicate that if we salvage unids, those might have ID’d into rares or exotic.

In that case, I do not see the problem. If something we previously earned is being taken away due to unids, then there would be a problem. But if it is an additional system added on to loot that people are complaining about gambling on, then that is strictly an opt-in system. I’m going to salvage all my unids and never look back.

I’ve yet to see a definitive statement from anyone which suggests that we will still get the normal chance at rares and exotics as we get elsewhere. All I got was blue and green normal drops, but that might be due to a relatively small sample size.

It’s the other way around. You’ll have to prove that we’re losing out on drops elsewhere with the unids. It is a bit defeatists to assume a new system is inherently ripping you off via hidden changes to loot ratios mentioned nowhere.

This is ANet we’re talking about, remember. NPE? Adept traits available at L36 that unlocked in L60 areas? “Every player by level 80 should have max stat gear?” Not enough MP’s to be able to fully progress and avoid niche content on HoT launch.

I always, always, always assume the worst. That way I won’t be disappointed.

For me, the system kittens kitten. If I got an Unid’d drop I did not get a regular one at the same time. Paying to ID plus do heart plus go to vendor makes it more clicking and more tedious. If PoF needs to resort to this lame gimmick to keep people playing, ANet has sunk to a new low.

Exotics and rares still drop separate of the unID items in the demo.

OK, that’s fine. I wonder how drop rates are affected, but whatever. Still, ID’ing was done better in GW, where you could see the item rarity and thus make a better-informed choice. If it turns out the only value to IDing is to get weapon skins, then I suppose I can live with it, though I’m never going to like this inconvenience feature.

They do drop separately yes, I got a good few Elonian rares during my time in the demo, a lot were through event rewards.

However, the unidentified gear can also drop Rares and Exotics when identified so you are turning down chances at getting Rares unless you identify your gear.

The price is the issue for me here, when they said you’d have to visit a heart NPC I thought it’d be free, or cost some nominal fee in Karma, 1s 68c an item is far too much to ask to identify something that probably vendors for less than 1s 68c.

I hope they fix this now and don’t launch another expansion with loot problems.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

The loot system needs an overhaul in general as it is just to much clicking and space management as is. Having stacks of loot by rarity would be great but using a vendor to ID them ONE AT A TIME is just madness. I would be fine treating exotics one at a time, but everything lower than that should be quickly and easily salvageable, with ectos potentially coming out of rare loot.

Just to clarify, you dont have to ID them 1 at a time, you can ID all at once. essentially you buy the ID and just like buying anything else in GW2 you can type in the quantity. IE if you have 250 unidentified thingies you can just type 250 in the quantity amount click buy and they’lll all get identified.. not sure what happens if you dont have enough space in your bags. I assume it will not allow you to buy that many IDs but i didnt test it myself.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t have an issue with the unidentified gear, per se. I hadn’t noticed that I got anything other than greens from them when I identified them, but maybe I wasn’t paying close enough attention (or maybe I just had no luck). I enjoy the space saving that the stacking feature offers, and considering these are not bound in any way, I could choose to stick a stack on the trading post for someone that wants to play the identification gambling game. Which, might be an decent way to make a few silver when they xpac goes live.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

At current prices:
vs

I don’t remember if Eyes of Kormir are account bound or not, but for the latter to surpass the former, the Eyes need to have a value of 6.19s each.
Which it probably WILL if it’s not account bound. All things considered though, Path of Fire is going to affect the value of materials directly so my current numbers can be completely out of relevance once the game comes out.

Eyes of Kormir and Sliver of Twitching Forgemetal (the other craft mat that dropped) are both open to trade and not account bound. Hopefully, they’ll be worth trading.

Attachments:

Posted by: Kelian Ravenwood.4130

Kelian Ravenwood.4130

I believe I understand why the IDing system was returned in the manner it was (inventory management, encourage heart completion, create incentives for gold sink). I don’t have a problem with completing the hearts (we do that in 2 LS3 areas for the currency) for the ability to ID. I would agree with the suggestion posted by many here though, with one small alteration:

Have 2 different sets of unidentified gear: blues/greens & yellow/orange.

This will solve the large problem of possibly losing a precursor while trying to clear out inventory, while still leaving the incentive to sink some gold as players continue to seek that elusive exotic. Most people care about Rares & Exotics so they will sink the gold (and there is a wide margin in price from one Rare to another, so the ID could be worth it). Very few people would ever ID Fine or Masterwork, so the inventory problem is still solved.

This would of course result in complaints about having to pay for the Rares and Exotics that used to drop for free, but I think it would be MUCH better than paying for the chance at a free Rare or Exotic. I think this answers many concerns given this new system.

TLDR: Have two sets of unID gear, Fine/Masterwork & Rare/Exotic.

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

If they want us to complete hearts, just make the hearts automatically completed when we enter the map. Or make hearts interesting. But the point is that they shouldn’t be forcing us to do things like this just to manage loot.

Posted by: usnedward.9023

usnedward.9023

So……. let me get this straight…. MANY people over the years have complained about loot filling up their bags and there has to be another way. In comes the copper and silver salvaging gizmos. Then the complaints went to too many runes and stuff so still have to make a pit stop to sell off those and many came here and still come here to post these random complaints or dislikes or what have you.

NOW you get stacking unidentified gear that I assume stack to 250 and now you have:
1. Option to salvage
2. Option to have discover the gear then salvage.

So ANET once again seems to honor those who have the issues and I see no harm done in it. If you salvage and it appears you risk salvaging a possible exotic or precursor….. um…your risk you take.

Personally I see it as a good thing of saving bag space during random runs through the forests and in my downtime I can go discover and then salvage what I like.

People will just kitten anymore about anything….

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

Posted by: Kelian Ravenwood.4130

Kelian Ravenwood.4130

If they want us to complete hearts, just make the hearts automatically completed when we enter the map.

Uh… wouldn’t that make them kind of pointless? I understand if you don’t like the hearts (I personally think they add flavor to the area, but that’s only my opinion), but if you loaded the zone and the hearts were already done, why have them there at all? If you accept that ANet wants to include this type of content, then I think encouraging its use is understandable, even commendable. It will increase player use of the map (how many people would just visit Ember Bay to complete the Sloth and Magic daily, then leave without the Rock Tour daily?). Having more people around when dynamic events and/or bounties pop up is a good thing.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

NOW you get stacking unidentified gear that I assume stack to 250 and now you have:
1. Option to salvage

Of course it meets those things but you also forgot if you want to identify your loot you have to pay for it and go out of your way to visit a heart vendor, which is a heart you will have to do each day because they reset, if you want to identify your loot as it exits now. I think this is the major complaint from most people. Who wants to do a boring heart for the 100th day in a row to identify their loot and pay a significant tax on top of that? Maybe some people but not me. Like stated earlier I’m sure if Anet insists on this there will be an identify-o-matic in the gem store. That doesn’t make this better though.

I think if unidentified gear was separated by rarity, had a reduced cost to identify (maybe increased cost based on rarity of unidentified gear) and didn’t require completing a reset heart every day you want to identify it, most would be content with that. At least that is what I get so far from the feedback I have seen.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

LanfearShadowflame.3189

1. Option to salvage

Of course it meets those things but you also forgot if you want to identify your loot you have to pay for it and go out of your way to visit a heart vendor, which is a heart you will have to do each day because they reset, if you want to identify your loot as it exits now. I think this is the major complaint from most people. Who wants to do a boring heart for the 100th day in a row to identify their loot and pay a tax on top of that? Maybe some people but not me. Like stated earlier I’m sure if Anet insists on this there will be an identify-o-matic in the gem store. That doesn’t make this better though.

I think paying for identification is fine. It creates a relatively small gold sink.

However, I can understand the ‘have to redo the heart for the 100th’ time complaint. Perhaps they should add identification to normal merchants on the map after meeting a certain requirement (such as completing all the hearts once maybe?). I can understand that they want us to replay the content, and I can understand that some people just dont enjoy redoing hearts, but there should be some means of getting to a happy medium,.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

1. Option to salvage

Of course it meets those things but you also forgot if you want to identify your loot you have to pay for it and go out of your way to visit a heart vendor, which is a heart you will have to do each day because they reset, if you want to identify your loot as it exits now. I think this is the major complaint from most people. Who wants to do a boring heart for the 100th day in a row to identify their loot and pay a tax on top of that? Maybe some people but not me. Like stated earlier I’m sure if Anet insists on this there will be an identify-o-matic in the gem store. That doesn’t make this better though.

I think paying for identification is fine. It creates a relatively small gold sink.

However, I can understand the ‘have to redo the heart for the 100th’ time complaint. Perhaps they should add identification to normal merchants on the map after meeting a certain requirement (such as completing all the hearts once maybe?). I can understand that they want us to replay the content, and I can understand that some people just dont enjoy redoing hearts, but there should be some means of getting to a happy medium,.

Yeah I’m mostly okay with the gold sink but as it stands now I think the current cost is a bit high. My guess after the feedback given is the cost will go down a bit if this mechanic is kept in place. I’m also guessing given feedback there will be a vendor to identify that doesn’t require the heart. Maybe an NPC in one of the gem store passes though. Just my thoughts.

I also hope if they continue with this there is a happy medium. Hopefully Anet has gathered a lot of good feedback so far and will find a way to do so.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

So……. let me get this straight…. MANY people over the years have complained about loot filling up their bags and there has to be another way. In comes the copper and silver salvaging gizmos. Then the complaints went to too many runes and stuff so still have to make a pit stop to sell off those and many came here and still come here to post these random complaints or dislikes or what have you.

1. Option to salvage

So ANET once again seems to honor those who have the issues and I see no harm done in it. If you salvage and it appears you risk salvaging a possible exotic or precursor….. um…your risk you take.

Personally I see it as a good thing of saving bag space during random runs through the forests and in my downtime I can go discover and then salvage what I like.

1. Are you assuming these are all the same people complaining? (why?)

2. Customer feedback is important. Maybe you’ve seen one of the thousands of requests from businesses to give feedback on websites, receipts, or the separate pieces of paper sometimes given with a purchase.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

So, let me get this straight: this is a “solution” to inventory problems, BUT I’ve already spent a lot of gold to get the space I need. I don’t have many issues with space anymore, so how does this system benefit me? It seems more like a gold sink than anything else. Also a time sink. And a poorly conceived idea to increase the amount of activity in and around heart vendors. This sort of thinking is what led to Legendaries being based on collection “stories” that take you all over the map to places you haven’t been since you were leveling.

No like.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

1. Option to salvage

when the item in question is worth less then the ID part then it’s a horrible idea, in GW1 the gold paid for it is well worth it because most costs allot more then the ID costs with the added bonus that we can salvage with choice.

Posted by: fluffdragon.1523

fluffdragon.1523

Identifying gear made sense in GW1 when we could salvage upgrades off items.

That no longer exists, so unless they’re tacking on prefix/suffix upgrades to all gear in the manner of GW1 and conveniently didn’t tell us about it, then having random unidentified stuff thrown in seems like a total waste of time and bag space.

(edited by fluffdragon.1523)

Nilix.2170

At current prices:
vs

Eyes of Kormir and Sliver of Twitching Forgemetal (the other craft mat that dropped) are both open to trade and not account bound. Hopefully, they’ll be worth trading.

One thing I’m thinking is that most people probably use Copper-Fed rather than Silver so the resulting profit might be different. Another thing is that out of 85 salvages, the player managed to obtain nearly 100. They’re probably not going to be difficult to obtain so I wouldn’t bank on it being too valuable.

There was no cost involved. Period.

Except that it literally costs 1.68s to identify the item.

Purity of Purpose

(edited by Nilix.2170)

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

At current prices:
vs

One thing I’m thinking is that most people probably use Copper-Fed rather than Silver so the resulting profit might be different. Another thing is that out of 85 salvages, the player managed to obtain nearly 100. They’re probably not going to be difficult to obtain so I wouldn’t bank on it being too valuable.

There was no cost involved. Period.

Except that it literally costs 1.68s to identify the item.

You mean 1.68s at the NPC to trade it in for a random item? I admit, I must have missed that. Still, I don’t think it’s a big deal since it would be more worthwhile (to me) to salvage it for crafting materials. Besides, I get plenty or random gear as loot drops.

Hmm…..it’s possible there may be 1 or more exclusive items that you can only get from trading the unidentified gear item to the NPC. Amnoon Oasis does have a “casino” building.

I think I understand now: this gambling crap is bad enough with lockboxes, and that skritt you trade ectos in to. We don’t need more of it added to the game. The problem is there are too many gamers that get suckered into these things. I admit I like to open a few black lion chests here and there, but I’m not going to allow myself to become homeless so I can feed a gambling addiction in a video game.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I don’t like this system either, charging us to identify the loot we just got seems like another, significant cash sink. The cash drops will have to be boosted a lot in order to compensate for this.

Why is this unidentified loot system any better than say having mobs drop a single type of “loot bag” for the expansion zones? A loot bag that can be salvaged or opened to drop one piece of loot.

Yes, it is a cash sink and cash sinks are absolutely required unless you want everything to cost more and more as time goes on.

Because it’s more affected by MF. If you have low MF, salvage the loot or sell it on the TP. If you have high, buy it and ID it.

If they want us to complete hearts, just make the hearts automatically completed when we enter the map. Or make hearts interesting. But the point is that they shouldn’t be forcing us to do things like this just to manage loot.

They aren’t forcing you to do anything. The unid stacks so that makes managing loot even easier. You can just salvage everything and reap the rewards of the extra materials salvaging the unid gives you.

Identifying gear made sense in GW1 when we could salvage upgrades off items.

That no longer exists, so unless they’re tacking on prefix/suffix upgrades to all gear in the manner of GW1 and conveniently didn’t tell us about it, then having random unidentified stuff thrown in seems like a total waste of time and bag space.

You realise you can still do that yeah?

Posted by: Bridget Morrigan.1752

Bridget Morrigan.1752

Seems to me like the obvious happy medium is having the gear sort by rarity into different stacks. Then people can ID what they wish and not what they don’t, and save bag space at the same time, and not take unnecessary risks.

ID-ing in GW1 increased the value of items, guaranteed. If that isn’t a guarantee now (and I will offer freely that I don’t know how it works; I was out of town for the trial), then people aren’t going to like it.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

You mean 1.68s at the NPC to trade it in for a random item? I admit, I must have missed that. Still, I don’t think it’s a big deal since it would be more worthwhile (to me) to salvage it for crafting materials. Besides, I get plenty or random gear as loot drops.

Hmm…..it’s possible there may be 1 or more exclusive items that you can only get from trading the unidentified gear item to the NPC. Amnoon Oasis does have a “casino” building.

I think I understand now: this gambling crap is bad enough with lockboxes, and that skritt you trade ectos in to. We don’t need more of it added to the game. The problem is there are too many gamers that get suckered into these things. I admit I like to open a few black lion chests here and there, but I’m not going to allow myself to become homeless so I can feed a gambling addiction in a video game.

There’s a screenshot below for you from the first heart in the demo with the cost to identify gear.

Now, I’ve seen many people say they only saw blues and greens anyway and for them, perhaps it’s best just to salvage until their magic find is higher. Personally, I had about half a dozen rares and one exotic from identifying maybe 25 bags of gear and those were all Elonian collection weapons. IMO, this system is very similar to gamble boxes and I don’t like it.

Attachments:

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

First off you don’t need to do a Heart for 100 days in a row, you only need to redo a Heart when you have items that you want to identify, which means with UNID’d items stacking to 250 you could easily go an entire week without doing a Heart. Second, people say it’s a gold sink and that you lose money, however they’re completely forgetting the Trading Post apparently, because you always have buyers and sellers of materials. My best guess is that it’s really a zero sum proposition after you figure in all of the components, and by just salvaging everything you eliminate all those kitten ed minor sigils and those other things, that’s what ends up taking most of your inventory space while exploring, not the materials.

Posted by: rta.7563

rta.7563

Oh man. One of the reasons I love GW2 is because this doesn’t exist Why wouldn’t someone be able to identify something they picked up anyway. It’s not like you have to bring it to “the Identifier” for a professional evaluation to find out, “Yep! it’s another jacket all right!” It’s just an annoying step imho. Is there any story/lore/thingy to adding this or is it just a way to sell ID machines or kits in the Gem Store? bah!

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

It would be great if Anet would actually post on here what the deal is with the loot system for PoF are we going to see the same numbers that we are currently seeing, as I wouldn’t mind actually playing the new maps to get mats to craft gear I need, instead of the usual grind.

Exactly, I’d like to hear Anet’s version of the why and how this works. Because HoT was a major disappointment for me I’ve been cautiously watching PoF. I was on the verge of spending some fun money on the Ultimate Edition but now seeing this load I’m going to hold off until things are cleared up.

a. Going to the Hearts for IDing is a deal breaker
b. IDing cost should be 10% (or so) the NPC price listed on the item.

It’s too bad this came up, I didn’t think I’d like the mounts and I did. I liked the feel of the maps. But this just reeks of disrespect. Hopefully it’s not presented as a fun new RNG mechanic, I’ve got 9.5k hours in and no Pre drop. I’ve learned to despise the thought of RNG.

Hopefully we’ll hear something from Anet, until then I’ve tabled any purchase.

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Zet.9130

Even though I’m disappointed with the system, I still bought the Ultimate since it’s the same cost as the normal with the cost of buying 4000 gems which you get. It’s worth it if you buy gems, otherwise I wouldn’t wait too long, HoT actually got worse over time. It will be the most fun to play early vs late.

Posted by: Cloesd.3025

Cloesd.3025

I’m happy with it. Saves a ton of space and when I salvage them I don’t have to worry about a bunch of useless sigils clogging up my inventory. You guys are acting like this is anti-consumer, but I’d say it’s the exact opposite. You should never feel tempted again to buy extra bag slots and you can play longer without having to go to a vendor.

IMO, the pros vastly out-weigh the cons.

Salvaging a precursor just because of convenience, is what I was praying for all these years. yep!

Then maybe you should’ve identified it?

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I’m happy with it. Saves a ton of space and when I salvage them I don’t have to worry about a bunch of useless sigils clogging up my inventory. You guys are acting like this is anti-consumer, but I’d say it’s the exact opposite. You should never feel tempted again to buy extra bag slots and you can play longer without having to go to a vendor.

IMO, the pros vastly out-weigh the cons.

Salvaging a precursor just because of convenience, is what I was praying for all these years. yep!

Then maybe you should’ve identified it?

I don’t think he understands that the unid item doesn’t exist until identified, it’s not an actual precursor until he has traded in the “unid” trophy or ticket for the identified the item anyway.

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

1. Option to salvage

As someone who complained about this inconvenience feature…

• I never complained about bag space. I don’t even have all bag slots unlocked.
  • Stacking UNID’d gear is only better than stacking loot bags because you can choose to salvage. They’re worse than loot bags because if you want to “open” them, you have to go someplace specific and spend silver.
  • If this feature is meant to honor the requests of people who wanted not to have to deal with green runes and sigils, it seems like an odd way to go about it. Why not jsut make a vendor all option?
  • Assuming there will be bag space saving, you’re trading possible gain in time between inventory management stops for either: (a) losing out on being able to actually see what loot you’ve gotten; or (b) trading that time for time spent going to a heart, doing the heart (assuming you don’t otherwise care to), plus silver spent per ID. This is a bad trade either way.

Now, maybe there’s some purpose to this feature that we aren’t seeing. Perhaps if ANet were to stop being cryptic and actually explain the feature in full, including what they hope to accomplish, I might change my mind. As it, though, I can’t see how this is anything but a bad idea.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

In the current game, there’s a certain level of inconvenience with the loot system, sure. It never bothered me at all though.

This new system fails because of the following: you can chose to have even more inconvenience (ID it, then go through every step you currently have to go through) or less inconvenience paired with loss of potential income (salvage it). You can’t chose to stay at the current level of inconvenience.

Anyone who doesn’t have an issue with the current system will be worse off with the new one.

(edited by Manasa Devi.7958)

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

I am in the process of getting my pre-purchase refunded over this.

It shouldn’t cost money to collect the loot you earned. Period.

If the devs rework this, they will probably get my money again. But as it stands… just… no.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

1. Option to salvage

As someone who complained about this inconvenience feature…

• I never complained about bag space. I don’t even have all bag slots unlocked.
  • Stacking UNID’d gear is only better than stacking loot bags because you can choose to salvage. They’re worse than loot bags because if you want to “open” them, you have to go someplace specific and spend silver.
  • If this feature is meant to honor the requests of people who wanted not to have to deal with green runes and sigils, it seems like an odd way to go about it. Why not jsut make a vendor all option?
  • Assuming there will be bag space saving, you’re trading possible gain in time between inventory management stops for either: (a) losing out on being able to actually see what loot you’ve gotten; or (b) trading that time for time spent going to a heart, doing the heart (assuming you don’t otherwise care to), plus silver spent per ID. This is a bad trade either way.

Now, maybe there’s some purpose to this feature that we aren’t seeing. Perhaps if ANet were to stop being cryptic and actually explain the feature in full, including what they hope to accomplish, I might change my mind. As it, though, I can’t see how this is anything but a bad idea.

The goals as I see the are twofold:

1) reduce loot types. This system combines the “unstable” salvageable loot types we saw in LS3 with generic level 80 trash. Salvaging the unidentified loot gives a good mix of level 2-6 materials. Good job, on this one.
2) act as a gold sink. Charging people so much in order to identify their loot causes them to lose quite a bit of gold as they gamble on getting better loot. They added a high cost to identify them. They also added extra inconvenience in that you have to id the item at an unlocked heart. This part is terrible, imo.

Adding a type of bag with a choice of dropping unstable items and a right-click option to “open all” or “open x” where x is the number of empty inventory spaces in your bags would have been better, imo. Or having a type of bag you can salvage.

Posted by: Excellent Name.9574

Excellent Name.9574

IMHO, this business with Unidentified Gear is a potential PoF expansion game breaker and as such a big mistake that can and will cut down the player base even more. Remember the HoT launch and the deafness of Anet during the beta and first several months?

UG does not solve anything and seriously damages the QoL in PoF. People are already kittened off with this, can You think how it will go down when this launches?

Posted by: Cloesd.3025

Cloesd.3025

I am in the process of getting my pre-purchase refunded over this.

It shouldn’t cost money to collect the loot you earned. Period.

If the devs rework this, they will probably get my money again. But as it stands… just… no.

95% of the loot in this game is vendor trash anyway.

Nilix.2170

Yeah, as is, you’re actually getting more money out of it by straight up salvaging it. I know I’m just assuming how the loot table looks right now, but it’s just a green drop. You weren’t missing out on anything. Still though, introducing a new gambling option in itself is kinda bad towards players who don’t understand that math outright. This is WHY Japan has those laws about gacha games needing to accurately display the % chance of all the different things you can get from a lottery roll. Ambiguity turns it into a money sink where people can’t kitten why they should or shouldn’t. On the other hand, you aren’t spending real money on these so it’s no where near as problematic.

Purity of Purpose

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Yeah, as is, you’re actually getting more money out of it by straight up salvaging it. I know I’m just assuming how the loot table looks right now, but it’s just a green drop. You weren’t missing out on anything. Still though, introducing a new gambling option in itself is kinda bad towards players who don’t understand that math outright. This is WHY Japan has those laws about gacha games needing to accurately display the % chance of all the different things you can get from a lottery roll. Ambiguity turns it into a money sink where people can’t kitten why they should or shouldn’t. On the other hand, you aren’t spending real money on these so it’s no where near as problematic.

But it’s not a gamble if you don’t want it to be, on the TP these items will be worth more than equivalent greens since if you have HIGH MF, you can get more value out of them. By selling them to others with high MF, you make more profit, as well as we both said, you can just salvage them for lots of materials. This will make the cost of materials come down significantly, which is good for everyone who crafts. Once the cost of materials stabilises, the value of the unids on the TP will rise because people will want to ID them for rares etc.

Just salvage them, I have seen 18 iron ingots from a single unid, bam 1.3g. Actually, getting double figures of materials from each is not uncommon.

No way I’m concerned about missing out on exotics (even though I DO have high MF) beause the materials are worth a lot more to me. I have had two precursors drop, I’m not worried about missing out on more because the additional materials I’ll get from the unid will allow me to craft one easily.

Edit: Not only that, but because of the additional materials, I can just keep playing how I like instead of doing my daily farm runs to gather materials, I can just keep doing events and bounties and stuff with my mates instead of running around chipping ore and chopping wood like a drone.

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

In the current game, there’s a certain level of inconvenience with the loot system, sure. It never bothered me at all though.

This new system fails because of the following: you can chose to have even more inconvenience (ID it, then go through every step you currently have to go through) or less inconvenience paired with loss of potential income (salvage it). You can’t chose to stay at the current level of inconvenience.

Anyone who doesn’t have an issue with the current system will be worse off with the new one.

The unids are trophy drops that are converted to loot when you pay 1.68s, nothing more. You get TONS more materials by salvaging them directly.

I’d rather have regular, pre-identified pieces of loot instead. Ones that don’t clutter up my inventory because I can salvage, sell, or store them, whichever I chose, wherever I am, without the aid of NPCs.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

1. Option to salvage

when the item in question is worth less then the ID part then it’s a horrible idea, in GW1 the gold paid for it is well worth it because most costs allot more then the ID costs with the added bonus that we can salvage with choice.

Most of the identified items in GW1 where junk, unless you got lucky and got a perfect mod. Most people didn’t even bother identifying “grapes” because it wasn’t worth it. A lot of people sold the golds unidentified because it was more lucrative to do so than to do the identification.

It was a gamble then, and it’s a gamble here. You might get junk, you might get something worth your investment. The majority of the time, it’s going to be junk.

Now that said, I’d be ok with them adjusting the cost some too. I tend to pinch my coppers, so I’m almost always game for things costing less.

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

The unids are trophy drops that are converted to loot when you pay 1.68s, nothing more. You get TONS more materials by salvaging them directly.

I’d rather have regular, pre-identified pieces of loot instead. Ones that don’t clutter up my inventory because I can salvage, sell, or store them, whichever I chose, wherever I am, without the aid of NPCs.

Really? So you miss out on like 50% more materials and have your inventory cluttered by minor sigils and runes? Because you can just salvage the stacking unid items without seeing an NPC ever. Like, you can have 40,000 of them in your inventory at once and then just salvage the entire lot at once and your inventory will not be full of anything but materials.

Posted by: Zoria.1392

Zoria.1392

1. Exotics are definitely inside the unidentified gear. I got some that way. If ascended are, I’ll be very upset.

2. Does * NOT*save space as id’ing make all items spread out into slots the same exact way. PLUS the clover looking salvage items are still dropping, karma tokens, trade contracts, collection items, random junk and and random white crap, green gear dropping anyway. NOT space saving.

3. Gold sink

4. Time consuming and repetitious hearts to get.

5. Devalues purchased coin-fed salavage kits as they can’t be used until everything is id’d- destroying their time savings and now you are paying for for both ID & salvage— wrecking their gold savings.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

All rares and exotics are map skins. Rares are the Elona skins. Exotics are the Sunspear skins. There are no special ascended skins I’m aware of.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

1. Option to salvage

Most of the identified items in GW1 where junk, unless you got lucky and got a perfect mod. Most people didn’t even bother identifying “grapes” because it wasn’t worth it. A lot of people sold the golds unidentified because it was more lucrative to do so than to do the identification.

It was a gamble then, and it’s a gamble here. You might get junk, you might get something worth your investment. The majority of the time, it’s going to be junk.

inGW1 all gear was already known, you know if it’s a weapon and what kind, you know it’s gonna be a rune just not the type.
also, in GW1 allot of minor runes still costs allot, the only gamble here is to hope if it’s the more expensive one
in GW2 it’s just 1 single item without a clue what it is, not to mention that GW2 has gear rank so the difference is quite huge in both price and risk.

the thing is, in GW1 you have about 30% success for a higher quality gear, in GW2 the success rate is so depending on luck you have a bigger chance on fine gear worth a few copper then an exotic worth a few gold.

Posted by: DeShadowWolf.6854

DeShadowWolf.6854

Except, say…ectos. Because some of those unids you just salvaged could well have been rares or even exotics.

Guys, you really need some perspective on this.

Proceeds to use all caps to give readers “perspective”

THIS IS A GOOD SYSTEM.

• IT GIVES MAGIC FIND VALUE. IF YOU HAVE LOW MF, SALVAGE THE TROPHIES OR SELL THEM ON THE TP. IF YOU HAVE HIGH MF, ID THEM OR BUY ON THE TP AND ID THEM.
  • THE UNID DROPS ARE TROPHIES NOT WEAPONS OR ARMOR LOOT.

Irrelevant. If unids can be turned into gear, then I will consider them as if they are gear, and whether I ID or salvage must take this into consideration.

• THE LOOT DOESN’T EXIST UNTIL YOU ID IT.

No, the loot doesn’t exist until I get an unid. It IS loot. What this thread is pointing out is that neither of my options for what to do with that loot is satisfying.

• IF YOU SALVAGE IT, YOU GET A LOT MORE MATERIALS THAN YOU WILL BY IDENTIFYING IT AND THEN SALVAGING IT.

Still irrelevant. I would be perfectly fine with it, So long as I can discriminate what rarities I ID and which ones I salvage.