Unlock all Waypoints

Unlock all Waypoints

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: FrenzyCat.9614

FrenzyCat.9614

I have all the important waypoints unlocked: world bosses, dungeons (even though its not necessarily required), etc.

If I don’t have a waypoint: Sucks to be me.

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Can we throw in a portal that goes directly to the next scheduled event from the last scheduled event? It’s such a bother either finding it on my own on the map or clicking the link that is usually in chat.

Why not just have a floating chest with a rare or better weapon inside at every 15min interval you’re logged in for…

That’s getting close to AE Babies territory. City of Hero players know what I mean.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Agree with OP.

But the items should only be buyable once you have 1 of each profession max level and completed the personal story once for each race.

Why?

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

As long as WP’s are part of World Completion you’ll never get an Unlock All WP’s option…end of discussion.

As for running from L.A. to Orr, try this if you don’t like the scenery, open your World Map and navigate it that way, try it, it’s fun and you don’t have to see anything.

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

As long as WP’s are part of World Completion you’ll never get an Unlock All WP’s option…end of discussion.

As for running from L.A. to Orr, try this if you don’t like the scenery, open your World Map and navigate it that way, try it, it’s fun and you don’t have to see anything.

People said that about WvW being part of the world complete achievement, but that was changed. I see no reason why unlocking waypoints would be out of the question.

Unlocking all waypoints will not stop you from getting world complete, nor will it make it that much easier. You will still need to explore each zone fully to get poi’s, sp’s, hearts and vistas. Out of all of the things required to clear a map, waypoints are often the easiest ones to get, so unlocking them all with an item will not have much impact on how difficult or time consuming the achievement is.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

My only issue with this is the justification “I work, I don’t have time to keep doing this” because you could then apply that to crafting, to levelling, to jumping puzzles, to world complete, to farming mats for a given item. You will always be too busy to do everything, always.

On the other hand, the game exists because we spend money on it. As a suggestion to the devs to bring in more money, there isn’t really anything wrong with it. World complete is way, way more than just opening waypoints.

At the same time, it’s not that hard (and was already detailed earlier) to open maps using Lion’s Arch portals and getting into maps and opening dungeons. For other specific waypoints you might want, there are those “portal to the team leader” stones.

The other thing it would affect is guild missions, even if you don’t want world complete, the game still encourages you to have some maps fully explored for finding targets.

If there was to be any restriction on this, I would like to see the gift of exploration be used for it, this would ensure you’d done world complete at least once.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

This entire thread…

The hyperbole is unnecessary. OP asked for waypoints, not full level 80s (which you can already get anyway) with everything unlocked.

There’s nothing to explore if you’ve already been to the same zones multiple times. Asking waypoint unlocks to be account-wide is reasonable. You do have to explore the map, but you only need to do so once.

Games are about having fun, you know. Real life is already full of pointless chores.

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

This topic reminds me of Shrek, with Donkey asking, ‘Are we there yet, are we there yet’?

There will always be some pushing to have the work done for them, and quite frankly, getting waypoints is hardly work (try sweating on a factory floor or going blue in the face from stress because your under the cosh of a technically insane office boss). If they are that busy its a wonder they have time to switch on their pc’s.

GW1 vets must be reading this laughing themselves under the table!

Unlock all Waypoints

RabbitUp.8294

(try sweating on a factory floor or going blue in the face from stress because your under the cosh of a technically insane office boss). If they are that busy its a wonder they have time to switch on their pc’s.

GW1 vets must be reading this laughing themselves under the table!

Yes, of course, video games are best compared to manual labour. Entertainment you pay for has everything in common with working at a factory and enduring emotional abuse.

This is like digital age Stockholm syndrome. I don’t know what GW1 vets think, but as a City of Heroes “vet”, I’m shacking my head.

Unlock all Waypoints

Rin.1046

My only issue with this is the justification “I work, I don’t have time to keep doing this” because you could then apply that to crafting, to levelling, to jumping puzzles, to world complete, to farming mats for a given item. You will always be too busy to do everything, always.

That is true, but it’s not about not having time to do the waypoints, its about not having time to do activities we enjoy, because we first need to do the waypoints. Its about skipping the time gating by spending money. A choice Anet themselves said should be available.

The other thing it would affect is guild missions, even if you don’t want world complete, the game still encourages you to have some maps fully explored for finding targets.

If there was to be any restriction on this, I would like to see the gift of exploration be used for it, this would ensure you’d done world complete at least once.

That’s true, I had forgotten about guild missions.

As to having to use a gift of exploration, I would be completely fine with that.

There will always be some pushing to have the work done for them, and quite frankly, getting waypoints is hardly work.

You claim there will always be work, when you should be asking why does there always have to be work? A lot of players just accept the norm and put up with it, but it shouldn’t be that way. There are ways developers can make a game more fun, without time gating, and giving a way to remove that time gating is one of them. Of course, if the game did not have the restrictions in the first place that would be even better, for me, but I know some players enjoy them.

MMO’s offers a wide variety of activities. Not every player will like every activity. This is inevitable. And forcing players to do the activities they don’t enjoy, and forcing players to simply accept this as their fate, is not the best way to make a 100% fun game. It is a way to try to increase sales, but there are other, better more fun friendly, ways of making money.

In my opinion, artificial time gating is lazy design and completely unnecessary. Its what you do when you cannot think of more fun activites to create, or when you cannot create content that will keep players playing for a long time. If you are afraid your content will not keep players busy, you drag it out as much as will be accepted with time gated content. There really is no need for it. Progression can be fun, but it should be optional. Its a strange concept I know, but I am 100% convinced it is the way to making a game fun for more players.

I’ll say it again: options are the key to fun. And those options can have a price tag. This price tag can be either time or money, so long as both payment methods are available.

Simplicity is complex.

(edited by Rin.1046)

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: TPenny.5071

TPenny.5071

Upon world completion you are awarded with 2 Gift of Explorations. These are only used to craft legendary weapons. But what if …

If they also had an on use effect!

Consuming the Gift of Exploration on a new or existing character would discover all remaining waypoints of Tyria. (everyone doesn’t necessarily want to make legendaries)

This Would:

• Give the gift use outside legendary crafting.
  • Gives your 2nd world completion an advantage, therefore potential incentive.
  • Reasonable reward you can then use on alternate characters levelled via crafting or tome.

This Should:

• Be consumable on level 80 characters only. (Debatable)
  • Not consumable on characters all waypoints already unlocked.
  • Not reveal or discover any point, vista or heart.
  • Will not unlock HoT expansion waypoints. (Unless new regions count towards new map completion)
  • Have a confirmation window. (Just in case)

This is a suggestion for better quality of life. /Discuss

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I like this idea.

Make it a mystic forge recipe. Toss a gift of exploration, twisted watchwork portal and some other rubbish into it for a level 80 consumable that unlocks all of the ‘vanilla’ WPs.

Then remove WPs from the map completion %.

Unlock all Waypoints

RabbitUp.8294

If it’s just for one character, it’s not worth the effort. It’s easier unlocking important waypoints for each of your characters than getting map completion with half of them.

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

There is actually no hyperbole in the thread. People are pointing out that the request itself is hilarious and makes no sense. Exactly because if there will be such an unlock item, the next posts will ask for those things. (We already have the instant level 80 items.)
Question is, if you do not level (because you use tomes), do not explore (because of unlock wp items), etc… then why do you make new characters in the first place? To stand in LA (or other waypoints that you unlocked using this imaginary item)?

The thread reads like “play how i want” means: i want to get my waypoints unlocked without having to unlock them… that is the definition of entitled. You don’t have the time to unlock waypoints? How are you going to do anything with that shiny new character of yours if you don’t have time to unlock waypoints?

PS.: Just read what Crystallize wrote and try to understand it.

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

I would be totally okay with this. Me – and I assume many other players – only had a desire to make one legendary, and now I have this gift of exploration sitting in my bank. It’s worth too much effort and time to simply trash (essentially 50% map completion) but it has no functional value to me

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Unlock all Waypoints

Jahroots.6791

Well, it’s a trade off. For just the bare minimum of important WPs manual unlocking is simple. However, for guild bounties and challenges and so on you need to have most of the map unlocked.

This is a good idea that creates an additional use for the gift of exploration (many of us have no interested in crafting legendary weapons at all). It still requires the player to explore the entire map at least once, while simultaneously making the task more accessible for subsequent alts. People who like old school exploration can opt out of it as well. Everyone wins.

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

How ’bout… no?

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I definitely like this idea. For many, map completion more than once is quite tedious, and this coul;d fix that.

However I would add an effect that states that the character that uses the item to unlock waypoints can not qualify for a gift of exploration reward if they chose to map complete

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

(edited by rapthorne.7345)

Unlock all Waypoints

Rin.1046

Question is, if you do not level (because you use tomes), do not explore (because of unlock wp items), etc… then why do you make new characters in the first place? To stand in LA (or other waypoints that you unlocked using this imaginary item)?

The thread reads like “play how i want” means: i want to get my waypoints unlocked without having to unlock them… that is the definition of entitled. You don’t have the time to unlock waypoints? How are you going to do anything with that shiny new character of yours if you don’t have time to unlock waypoints?

So, what you are telling us is, the only things you can do in this game are unlocking waypoints and leveling characters? And you complain about us skipping content? What do you mean by the ‘etc…’ in bold above?

I am not going to repeat myself, so I simply suggest you go back an re-read things. It explains everything you need to know, to understand where we are coming from and how it doesn’t affect you.

Simplicity is complex.

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

So, what you are telling us is, the only things you can do in this game are unlocking waypoints and leveling characters? And you complain about us skipping content? What do you mean by the ‘etc…’ in bold above?

I am not going to repeat myself, so I simply suggest you go back an re-read things. It explains everything you need to know, to understand where we are coming from and how it doesn’t affect you.

It an intrinsic part of the game design that you want to shortcut and undermine for personal convenience. If they allowed this, it would be the beginning of a very slippery slope. So yes, it does affect us. It’s not hard and it’s not time consuming. You aren’t required to have every wp unlocked at 80. Just run to the zones you feel you need before you need them. It’s simple and fairly fast and painless.

Unlock all Waypoints

Jahroots.6791

It’s really none of your business what other players do with their time.

There’s no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to play this game, our only obligation is to adhere to the ToS. On top of that, this change doesn’t affect anyone else. It won’t cause inflation, a rise in player toxicity or otherwise break the game. You won’t even be able to tell how individual players got their waypoints unlocked.

You obstinate, curmudgeonly are such a curious breed.

Unlock all Waypoints

Rin.1046

It an intrinsic part of the game design that you want to shortcut and undermine for personal convenience. If they allowed this, it would be the beginning of a very slippery slope. So yes, it does affect us. It’s not hard and it’s not time consuming. You aren’t required to have every wp unlocked at 80. Just run to the zones you feel you need before you need them. It’s simple and fairly fast and painless.

Yes, it is an intrinsic part of GW2, but skipping it will not undermine it, as other players have clearly stated they like doing it. And while I agree it may be a slippery slope, I do not see how that would effect other players that wish to continue as is. Like I said, none of the changes I want would affect anyone elses game.

You are right, that you do not need all WP’s, but that really depends on what activities and areas you enjoy. If you enjoy a wide variety, as I do, you will want a vast majority of them unlocked.

I also agree that they are easy, relatively fast (compared to some things), and painless. But they are not fun (for me) after the first time. I have no problem with unlocking them all manually the first time. I just dislike the idea of having to repeat boring content on alts. Like I said, if I could change professions on one character, I would have no issue with it at all. I like to play all the professions, depending on my mood, but the game does not make that easy. So really, this is not a waypoint issue, this is an alt friendly issue. Or at least it is for me.

Simplicity is complex.

Unlock all Waypoints

Jahroots.6791

They already allow insta-80 with tomes of knowledge, gems→ gold for buying what can take months of farming. If you consider personal convenience to be a slippery slope then I have bad news for you; we’re already at the bottom of the ravine. Lol.

Unlock all Waypoints

TPenny.5071

I definitely like this idea. For many, map completion more than once is quite tedious, and this coul;d fix that.

However I would add an effect that states that the character that uses the item to unlock waypoints can not qualify for a gift of exploration reward if they chose to map complete

Personally I wouldn’t deny anyone using this method from gaining 2 more gifts when they 100% completed the world again.
Most of the effort is still there and locking it off would only hinder the players incentive to continue that character in open world play.

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

They already allow insta-80 with tomes of knowledge, gems-> gold for buying what can take months of farming. If you consider personal convenience to be a slippery slope then I have bad news for you; we’re already at the bottom of the ravine. Lol.

Trust me, I resent how much in game can be purchase with gold, and in turn real life money. I really wish more things had to be earned in the game and it was less about opening your wallet or gaming the trading post. I play games to have fun. Focusing on making money isn’t fun and doesn’t help with the escapism aspect of gaming.

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

While I agree that gifts of exploration should have alternative uses, I don’t consider unlocking all wps to be a useful enough alternative. As someone that has 14 gifts of exploration just sitting in the bank waiting for the day they add someone GOOD other than making legendarys I would much rather they are required to make the new precursors in HoT or something similar in difficulty.
In all honesty I do not think its very logical to unlock all wps with a gift which then in turn makes your next gift easier to get and continue that cycle, well actually it is logical if you want everything to be easy, which I do not, map completes are in a good place right now, they should not be made easier, we have already had the WvW maps removed, enough is enough.

Unlock all Waypoints

Rin.1046

Trust me, I resent how much in game can be purchase with gold, and in turn real life money. I really wish more things had to be earned in the game and it was less about opening your wallet or gaming the trading post. I play games to have fun. Focusing on making money isn’t fun and doesn’t help with the escapism aspect of gaming.

Based on this comment I have to ask you the following questions:

1a. Do you get things with real money or via the TP?
1b. If yes, do you feel you can ONLY get things by spending real money or via the TP?
2. Do you feel you cannot have fun in this game without spending real money?
3a. If other people buy their way through the game, does this stop you having fun?
3b. If yes, why?
4a. What is more important to you: the loot reward or the fun of gameplay?
4b. If loot, why do you feel earning it with time spent in game is more valid than someone spending real (often hard earned) money to get it?

Simplicity is complex.

Unlock all Waypoints

Vavume.8065

So this has been brought up in the past but I feel it might do with a revision.

Anet have created an expansive world. It’s full of stuff and things. The only issue with this and an MMO is convenience and replayability; that is, levelling alts can become quite a chore.
Having several 100% world map completed characters, I would personally appreciate an unlockable item earned in-game that allowed alts to unlock waypoints across the world because, whilst I like whatever profession I am levelling (spoiler alert: sylvari necromancer) exploring/running around what I alread know off the back of my hand is…boring. And tiresome.

So what does everyone think of an item that can be earned to unlock waypoints. Mayne a consumable that’s account bound so you can send it to that particular character and it will unlock waypoints. The waypoints unlocked could be specific to the age of the game, i.e. old world (tyria excluding south sun and dry top).

Thoughts?

Also not a gemstore item kthnx.

First I think WHY? then I think NO, then I think, stop being lazy. I have 8 world completes, getting wps is no big deal, just go get them yourself and stop asking for easy modes.

Unlock all Waypoints

Rin.1046

Anet have created an expansive world. It’s full of stuff and things. The only issue with this and an MMO is convenience and replayability; that is, levelling alts can become quite a chore.
Having several 100% world map completed characters, I would personally appreciate an unlockable item earned in-game that allowed alts to unlock waypoints across the world because, whilst I like whatever profession I am levelling (spoiler alert: sylvari necromancer) exploring/running around what I alread know off the back of my hand is…boring. And tiresome.

So what does everyone think of an item that can be earned to unlock waypoints. Mayne a consumable that’s account bound so you can send it to that particular character and it will unlock waypoints. The waypoints unlocked could be specific to the age of the game, i.e. old world (tyria excluding south sun and dry top).

Thoughts?

First I think WHY? then I think NO, then I think, stop being lazy. I have 8 world completes, getting wps is no big deal, just go get them yourself and stop asking for easy modes.

To save things being repeated, a theme some of us are trying to avoid, it would help if you read some of the other posts, besides the OP’s.

Simplicity is complex.

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

That is true, but it’s not about not having time to do the waypoints, its about not having time to do activities we enjoy, because we first need to do the waypoints. Its about skipping the time gating by spending money. A choice Anet themselves said should be available.

This is a circular argument however, a downward spiral.
First you get to 80 without playing, then you get all the WP’s open without playing and then you start looking at crafting as something you no longer find fun. Or that one dungeon that you can never get a team for, maybe there should be dungeon complete tokens, that one jumping puzzle that you don’t have the time to do <again>, you’d like a skip token for that.

Would you agree all those things are also activities that some people do not enjoy and that there should be a way to bypass them too?

Of course the more content you skip, the more time you have to farm. Being able to create an insta-level 80 that can instantly farm in Silverwastes (or instantly take part in the new content / meta produced at any given time) would be quite advantageous.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

(edited by General Health.9678)

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: Swim.6830

Swim.6830

I feel like a lot of people here have the last name Hyperbole…

At the very least the biggest and main WPs should be made available (cities and such).

And by the way, some people do find crafting, farming and running around for 100% to be a chore rather than entertainment (maybe due to the way it’s designed or in general). And yes I do have full map completion characters.

Zwim Elementalist
Consigliere
The Dragoon Brotherhood

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

People said that about WvW being part of the world complete achievement, but that was changed. I see no reason why unlocking waypoints would be out of the question.

I’m actually surprised that they changed this. However considering some of the changes coming to the game, I can see why they did (and I highly doubt it was specifically because we asked for it)

Unlocking all waypoints will not stop you from getting world complete, nor will it make it that much easier.

If they allowed this, then it SHOULD bar you from gaining world completion (on that specific character) because you didn’t bother actually doing it. It was the same when wvw was part of the completion requirements. You couldn’t just ‘skip it’ (which is exactly what people are asking for regarding waypoints). If you didn’t do it, you didn’t get it.

And yes, having waypoints open does tend to make mapping easier, since you can jump around a heck of a lot faster.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Unlock all Waypoints

TPenny.5071

While I agree that gifts of exploration should have alternative uses, I don’t consider unlocking all wps to be a useful enough alternative. As someone that has 14 gifts of exploration just sitting in the bank waiting for the day they add someone GOOD other than making legendarys I would much rather they are required to make the new precursors in HoT or something similar in difficulty.
In all honesty I do not think its very logical to unlock all wps with a gift which then in turn makes your next gift easier to get and continue that cycle, well actually it is logical if you want everything to be easy, which I do not, map completes are in a good place right now, they should not be made easier, we have already had the WvW maps removed, enough is enough.

Translation: It wouldn’t benefit me so it shouldn’t benefit anyone else.

Unlock all Waypoints

Rin.1046

This is a circular argument however, a downward spiral.
First you get to 80 without playing, then you get all the WP’s open without playing and then you start looking at crafting as something you no longer find fun. Or that one dungeon that you can never get a team for, maybe there should be dungeon complete tokens, that one jumping puzzle that you don’t have the time to do <again>, you’d like a skip token for that.

Would you agree all those things are also activities that some people do not enjoy and that there should be a way to bypass them too?

There are two reasons why I disagree with this. Firstly, a waypoint is not really an activity and cannot compared with a dungeon. A dungeon is an activity while a waypoint is a reward. Secondly, and more importantly from my perspective, dungeons and jumping puzzles are not required in order to get to other activities. They can be easily ignored already.

Another thing about your comment, is it seems to assume there is no activity I find enjoyable. If I enjoyed doing dungeons, which I do, why would I want to skip it? I play for the gameplay not the reward, so it would seem pointless for me to skip it. However, if there were such a thing as dungeon and JP tokens I would not be against it. If someone wants to spend real money to get a dungeon/JP reward then that is up to them. It will not force me to and it will not affect my game at all.

Of course the more content you skip, the more time you have to farm. Being able to create an insta-level 80 that can instantly farm in Silverwastes (or instantly take part in the new content / meta produced at any given time) would be quite advantageous.

This is what I mean. If you can skip the stuff you don’t like you can jump straight to the stuff you do. So long as no one else is being forced to do the same, I do not see any problem. It’s not like you will be any more powerful than a player who doesn’t pay any real money.

If they allowed this, then it SHOULD bar you from gaining world completion (on that specific character) because you didn’t bother actually doing it. It was the same when wvw was part of the completion requirements. You couldn’t just ‘skip it’ (which is exactly what people are asking for regarding waypoints). If you didn’t do it, you didn’t get it.

While I do not see waypoints in the same field as WvW poi’s, vistas and skill points, it is a valid point. And to be honest it would be a sacrifice I would be willing to make. At the end of the day its still a choice, and I would be fine with that.

By the way, while I do not completely agree with you both, I appreciate the thoughtful discussion, and respect your views. So much better than the name calling and pointless throw away comments some resort to. Thank you.

Simplicity is complex.

(edited by Rin.1046)

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Yeah i’m gunna have to go with a no on this one. The number of people who will be making threads 6 months later complaining that they can’t make a legendary because they used up all their gifts would be a huge hassle for Anet. Better to just leave it how it is now.

Unlock all Waypoints

TPenny.5071

Yeah i’m gunna have to go with a no on this one. The number of people who will be making threads 6 months later complaining that they can’t make a legendary because they used up all their gifts would be a huge hassle for Anet. Better to just leave it how it is now.

Have a confirmation window. (Just in case)

+ just do another map completion, you still get 2 gifts, and it will be quicker with all the waypoints unlocked.

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Liked the idea earlier, still like it now.

20 level 80s and counting.

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: Crystallize.8603

Crystallize.8603

As I said in the other thread…

It takes around 15 minutes per character (excluding Orr) to get all the dungeon Waypoints on a brand new character Tomed up to 80.
(Sped up by using a friend to waypoint into the dungeon and open it then run out.) This excludes CoE but you can still get to the area in a relatively short amount of time if you use the SE skip.

I think the biggest thing people forget is that dungeons only need the area open to enter the dungeon for the first time. After that, having used the portal at the door you have the dungeon WP open

Wherever you are, teleport to PvP, run through portal to LA, use the racial portals to get to Hoelbrak.
Hoelbrak, exit East to Wayfarer.
Wayfarer, exit North to Frostgorge – TP into HoTW and exit back to Frostgorge
Frostgorge, exit east to Fireheart
Fireheart, TP into CoF and exit back to Fireheart
Teleport back to PvP, run through portal to LA, use racial portal to Black Citadel (can skip tp to Pvp saves a few silver tho :P)
Black Citadel, exit East to Plains of Ashford – TP into AC and exit back to Plains of Ashford
Teleport back to PvP, run through portal to LA, use racial portal to Hoelbrak (can skip tp to Pvp saves a few silver tho :P)
Hoelbrak, exit South to Dredgehaunt – TP into Sorrows Embrace and exit back into Dredgehaunt
Dredgehaunt (nearly already at the bottom of the map \o/) exit south into Timberline
Timberline (longest run so far) exit south into Mt Mealstrom
Mt Maelstrom – can get into P3 and complete for WP ~ or run there
Teleport back to PvP, run through portal to LA, use racial portal to The Grove (can skip tp to Pvp saves a few silver tho :P)
The Grove, exit North into Caledon Forest – TP into TA and exit back to Caledon
Teleport back to PvP, run through portal to LA, use racial portal to Divinitys Reach (can skip tp to Pvp saves a few silver tho :P)
Divinitys Reach exit South into Queensdale and TP into CM. CM – exit back into Queensdale.

At this point, you only have to run down to Orr (which you can do quickest from the newly opened Mt Maelstrom WP.

Heading all the way West from that WP will take you into Sparkfly and Teq. Taking a detour south will give you access to megadestroyer and exiting to the SouthWest will give you access to Fort Trinity.
The Mt Maelstrom WP is only a short run and swim from the Golem Mark blabla world boss as well. (South East)

Having already run through Wayfarer you’ll certainly have a waypoint very close for the Maw event.
Having HoTW open, and having run to Fireheart from there, you have Jormag open.
Having AC open, exiting SouthEast to Blazeridge and running north gives you access to The Shatterer.

We already have the TA waypoint open (jungle wurm)
and exiting East into Brisban and South into Metrica gives us access to Fire Elemental.

From the CM waypoint, run south and you have the Shadow behemoth.

From Lions Arch, run directly north and you’ll have the modnir Shaman.
From Lions Arch exit south and then West to reach Taida/ Alternatively run south for Triple Trouble.

The thing is. Why do you need these waypoints open on all characters? If you have 1 world boss farmer.. the others are kinda irrelevant and you CAN get them very QUICKLY but people are lazy.

The real long run, is running to Orr, and as soon as you’re inside Cursed Shores you’re already there. So at the end of the day to get to orr all you have to do is

Hoelbrak – Dredgehaunt – SE – Dredgehaunt (short run) -Timberline (actually running in this map) – Mt Maelstrom (actually running in this map) – Straights of Dev (actually running in this map) – Malchors (actually running in this map) and you’re at Arah.

Which considering you’d need to run to these anyway for CoE/all the meta events in Mt Mael.. it’s not that far..

Plan your routes.. decide if you REALLY need areas on alts.. I mean, if you want your 10th mesmer to have Arah then great. Go run and get it.
Infact. I’m gonna go do this now on a fresh 80 and see where I get to.

Having completed the full dungeon run (including Arah) ~it took me 37 minutes on a Mesmer (slowest character in game too be fair)
This post shows that actually MOST SIGNIFICANT WAY POINTS can be unlocked in around 1 hour.

If you are on these forums you’ve wasted well over 1 hour you could have spent on running to these waypoints.~~~

Can mods please stop locking threads that are constructive.
Just delete posts that are derailments.

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

+1 to what Crystallize.8603 just said, plus, some people have posted on this topic seventeen times so far, when they should have made their point in two or three me thinks>>.

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Thoughts?

I have 5 Characters with 100% world completion and four others that are 75% or more. I have 22 toons altogether. So it isn’t as if I haven’t done this a few times myself.

I create a new alt with the knowledge that I will have to explore and run around if I want to play with that toon in any given zone. And that is the way I believe that you have to look at it.

Giving a waypoint unlock would probably cause a kittenstorm with many players that have put in hours of time exploring.

I understand your pain and some of the boredom in running waypoints. I’ve been there. However, doing so is part of the game. We all have to do it and that is a cost of creating a character.

Still, I don’t think just a carte blanche ‘unlock waypoints’ item (gemstore or not), would be something they would consider in the near future for a lot of reasons. Especially with HoT on the horizon.

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Another way of looking at it is that unlocking of a way point is the reward for getting there on foot as now you have a short cut. So what’s being asked here is a way to unlock a set of rewards.

The idea of using one of you gifts of exploration to perform the unlock is a good idea but with the caveat that using that now makes that character ineligible to get world complete and two more gifts of exploration.

Sorry, no bootstrapping rewards.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Can we throw in a portal that goes directly to the next scheduled event from the last scheduled event? It’s such a bother either finding it on my own on the map or clicking the link that is usually in chat.

Why not just have a floating chest with a rare or better weapon inside at every 15min interval you’re logged in for…

you joke, but I can already see the post in the forum calling for this since actually DOING the events might seem boring for some people

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Unlock all Waypoints

Rin.1046

+1 to what Crystallize.8603 just said, plus, some people have posted on this topic seventeen times so far, when they should have made their point in two or three me thinks>>.

Perhaps if everyone read everything some of us have said, we would need to reiterate things? It seems painfully clear to me that some people are either missing or intentionally ignoring some of the reasons for having this option.

Take your friend Crystallize for example. He talks about how easy it is and how it only takes 15 minutes to get to each DUNGEON. He has either missed, or completely ignored, that fact that not everyone only needs waypoints for the dungeons. He has also ignored that fact that we do not think getting waypoints takes too long or is too challenging, and completely missed the fact we find it BORING when we have already unlocked them once before, on a different character.

If I had my memory wiped each time I started a new chaaracter, it wouldn’t be a problem, because getting the waypoints would be a new experience. But its not the character that discovers the waypoints, its me. And I have done it already. Why do I have to do it again if I didn’t get that much enjoyment out of it the first time? I’m not forced to do dungeons if I don’t want to. Discovering waypoints weren’t boring the first time, because it was new, but it is (for me) a boring task to do again. We’re not asking to make it easier, or quicker, we’re asking for the OPTION to be able to ignore it, like we already can with other things. Does that really hurt your game that much?

Another way of looking at it is that unlocking of a way point is the reward for getting there on foot as now you have a short cut. So what’s being asked here is a way to unlock a set of rewards.

The idea of using one of you gifts of exploration to perform the unlock is a good idea but with the caveat that using that now makes that character ineligible to get world complete and two more gifts of exploration.

I would be completely ok with not getting the XP reward for unlocking the waypoints, and I would be ok with being unable to get world complete on that character. To be honest though, I personally don’t get upset if someone got something for real money and I had to work for it, so long as that real money option is available to me too. Which it would be. Also, waypoints are more than just a reward. They are a progression mechanic that stands in your way of getting to content quickly with your alts.

Some people create alts for more than just experiencing the game again from scratch. Some of us create alts to be able to enjoy activities with other professions.

Simplicity is complex.

(edited by Rin.1046)

Unlock all Waypoints

Vavume.8065

Thoughts?

To save things being repeated, a theme some of us are trying to avoid, it would help if you read some of the other posts, besides the OP’s.

Funny thing is the OP im replying to was in a diff thread that got merged with this one, so actually I had read all the posts in that thread before I responded, not your fault though for jumping to conclusions.

Unlock all Waypoints

Crystallize.8603

If you thoroughly read my post, I also mentioned that there were OTHER waypoints that were unlocked if you planned accordingly.
Waypoints for Teq/MD/Golem/Shatterer/even guild missions can be reached very quickly.

My question is- outside of things you can only complete once a day/once a week for the reward anyway:

World Bosses
Guild Missions
Dungeons

Do you desperately need these waypoints for anyway? From PvP/LA you can get to any of the major cities, from my post above you can get to any of the major locations.

The fact is, you don’t.
The time you spent here reading through this thread and replying you could have gotten access to:

All the dungeon WPs
All the World Boss WPs
All the GM WPs.

Instead you decided to come onto the forums and complain it bores you to do these things.
Isn’t it equally boring to go to world bosses and just press 1? Is your enjoyment changed because your skill bar looks different?
Are Gms really that fun on a different character (99% of GMs require you to press 1 or run from point A to?

The fact you have already unlocked them on a different character means you can get to these areas/instances/missions on a different character and have no need to get to them on an alt.

You are infact diminishing peoples reward of unlocking every waypoint by offering this service.

“Oh you got all waypoints on your 20 characters? Cool. I spent 1000 gems and got every character I ever make from now on all waypoints too!”

I’m still struggling to see why anyone needs this.

I am still struggling to understand what events people feel the desperate need to log in an alt to attend X event.

I myself do play all 8 professions.
I can go into all the dungeons on any character.
I can swap to 5 of 8 characters for 50 FoTM and 8/8 for 49 FoTm.
I can reach any area on the map on 4 characters. – Guild Missions/World Bosses

I don’t see any need for all 8 of my characters to suddenly have 100% waypoints just because it’s tedious to get to the Shatterer on my Engineer that I barely play ever.
I don’t see the need for the Revanent (new class inc) to be able to reach all the map just because I insta 80 it with tomes. I’ll run it to dungeons/orr/world bosses when I need something to do in game

Unlock all Waypoints

Rin.1046

Funny thing is the OP im replying to was in a diff thread that got merged with this one, so actually I had read all the posts in that thread before I responded, not your fault though for jumping to conclusions.

Ah, yeah forum merges can confuse things sometimes. Apologies for my previous comment.

@Crystallize: It’s not about needing, its about wanting. I do not find the waypoints hard to get. I find them boring to get a second and subsequent time. From my perspective, who is someone only has alts to enjoy the other professions not to enjoy the progression again, it feels like having your progress reset. I’ve done all this before, why do I need to do it again, just to play a different profession? It to me seems like a hefty price to pay for such a small thing. But then, I have never agreed with the idea of a character not being able to change profession.

Also, how is it diminishing peoples rewards? Me unlocking the waypoints for my alts has no impact on your game what-so-ever.

“Oh you got all waypoints on your 20 characters? Cool. I spent 1000 gems and got every character I ever make from now on all waypoints too!”

You spend time or you spend money. One is not more valid than the other. I spend a lot of time working in real life to earn the money I spend in game. How is that any less valid than someone spending no money on the game but instead sending a lot of time?

Simplicity is complex.

(edited by Rin.1046)

Unlock all Waypoints

Crystallize.8603

Tangent not really related to my post——-

In gaming terms, being able to pay for content you otherwise have to spend time to unlock is what is generally considered as “pay to win”. Anet does get around this concept quite a bit with their Gold > Gem conversion however so this argument is kind of moot.

Not everyone has the money to spend in the same way that you do.

It might be an option open to everyone – actually being able to spend RL money however is not an option open to everyone.

Not everyone can afford to spend money or a great deal of time on the game, yet I know a lot of those people with 8 100% completions, full dungeoneer and having 15k+ AP. Because rather than sitting on the forums complaining they spend their time in game completing their goals.

end of tangent——-

Okay, but what for?
What do you want to do on your alt characters that is so game changing playing on a different character?
Guild Missions? – Hardly changes no matter what character you’re on
World bosses? – 0 difference except maybe you gotta stand at 900 range not 1200..
Dungeons? – Except arah 15 minutes of your life for an alt to get to dungeons wont kill you.

Unlock all Waypoints

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

If you thoroughly read my post, I also mentioned that there were OTHER waypoints that were unlocked if you planned accordingly.
Waypoints for Teq/MD/Golem/Shatterer/even guild missions can be reached very quickly

((((((snipped for brevity)))))))

I don’t see any need for all 8 of my characters to suddenly have 100% waypoints just because it’s tedious to get to the Shatterer on my Engineer that I barely play ever.
I don’t see the need for the Revanent (new class inc) to be able to reach all the map just because I insta 80 it with tomes. I’ll run it to dungeons/orr/world bosses when I need something to do in game

Crystallize, i honestly can’t +1 one this enough. Especially for the last paragraph.

This goes right back to what I also said earlier: if playing the game as it was designed to be played is such a chore for a player, then they need to step away for a while and find something else to play.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Unlock all Waypoints

Rin.1046

Tangent not really related to my post——-

In gaming terms, being able to pay for content you otherwise have to spend time to unlock is what is generally considered as “pay to win”. Anet does get around this concept quite a bit with their Gold > Gem conversion however so this argument is kind of moot.

No, pay to win is when you can pay real money to be stronger or more powerful than other players who don’t pay. Unlocking waypoints does not give you this advantage

Not everyone has the money to spend in the same way that you do.

Maybe not, but they can spend the time instead.

It might be an option open to everyone – actually being able to spend RL money however is not an option open to everyone.

And being able to spend a lot of in game time is not an option to everyone either.

Not everyone can afford to spend money or a great deal of time on the game, yet I know a lot of those people with 8 100% completions, full dungeoneer and having 15k+ AP. Because rather than sitting on the forums complaining they spend their time in game completing their goals.

The only time I post on these forums is when I am at work and there is not much going on. When I am not at work and have some spare time I am in game. So not entirely sure what your point is here.

end of tangent——-

Okay, but what for?
What do you want to do on your alt characters that is so game changing playing on a different character?

Guild Missions? – Hardly changes no matter what character you’re on
It doesn’t change the missions but it changes the way I play and the experience I have WITH THE CHARACTER..

World bosses? – 0 difference except maybe you gotta stand at 900 range not 1200..
See above

Dungeons? – Except arah 15 minutes of your life for an alt to get to dungeons wont kill you.
No, but 15 mins per dungeon per character when you have 8 characters is very boring. It won’t kill me no, but it doesn’t entertain me either, in fact it drains the entertainment out of me because all I want to do it get to where I will have fun, which is what a game is supposed to be about. If a dungeon doesn’t entertain I can ignore it. If waypoints don’t entertain I cannot ignore it.

This goes right back to what I also said earlier: if playing the game as it was designed to be played is such a chore for a player, then they need to step away for a while and find something else to play.

You’re not getting it either. There ARE activities I like in this game that are NOT a chore. But when you have lots of alts you sometimes HAVE to do things you DON’T like in order to get to the things you DO.

Can someone please explain to me why progression mechanics need to be repeated for each character, when their is only one player controlling them all? I’ve leveled a character to 80. I’ve done that, I didn’t enjoy that aspect of the game. I’ve unlocked all the waypoints. I’ve done that and didn’t enjoy that aspect of the game. What I did enjoy was discovering the world for the first time and experiencing the progression for the first time. But after that I did not want to do it again.

I enjoy experiencing the different professions. How they feel to play and the builds I can create. I enjoy helping friends with VARIOUS THINGS in ALL AREAS OF THE WORLD. I like doing dungeons and fractals and all the other many activities and events the game has to offer in ALL ZONES. The ACTIVITIES themselves are not a chore to me. The needless (from my perspective resetting) time gating progression it the chore.

If you don’t mind that, fine, I’m not asking you to stop doing it. But I don’t see why you are denying others this option when it doesn’t effect you at all!

Simplicity is complex.