Unofficial "Dueling" Area in WvW: Look!

in WvW

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

why did this get moved out of WvW area into the General discussion?

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

in WvW

Posted by: Darx.9842

Darx.9842

why did this get moved out of WvW area into the General discussion?

It was never in wvw forum, I posted in General to get more exposure.

in WvW

Posted by: Polismassa.6740

Polismassa.6740

IMO, the are in the black citadel called “the bane” should be used as an all purpose arena. It’s a large circular area with almost no terrain except for a small part of the great northern wall poking through the side. Anet could add an NPC there that allows you to create server independent matches ranging from 1v1 up to 25v25 (for large GvGs).

Considering that the area is already instanced as part of the charr personal story, I don’t see how it would be difficult to create an on demand instance for both groups. ideally, there could be a “round counter” that counts all the times that one group wiped and gives a point to the other team. Also, rezzing from defeated (not downed) should be disabled inside the arena, and players should be spawned back at the end of the round.

If Anet did something like this, it would the problems of so many PvPers at once. Seriously guys, give it some consideration.

[IX]

in WvW

Posted by: Snowy.9580

Snowy.9580

its nice that you guys are having fun.

and if there are enough people on both sides, trouble makers can be easily dealt with.

It will be even more fun when these guys start getting bans for cross realming, and in theory breaking the WvW area by doing something it wasn’t designed for…… Just sayin……

We’ll stop to sleep when the game is the best possible game we think it can be.
We’ve been awake since March 2007! Please help!
“GW2 the game with more rolls than roles!”

in WvW

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

It’s obvious people want dueling in game. Now if there was just an official way to have it.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in WvW

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

If this ever happens on my server’s match up, I’m going to find my way over, and mist-form STOMP any and all participants.

Nah, you won’t. The person would get revived immediately and you would be instantly murdered by everyone else.

Go take a breather. This is just a game. There’s no need to be so upset about it.

haha now this sparking an actual war would be amusing to me. WvW zerg versus the duelists association, who would win? hmmm

Is there any doubt who would win?

in WvW

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

the guild I’m in made a little coordinated 7vs7 against another guild in wvw at this spot. we told other people around (different guilds etc) to leave them be and they did the same. I was sitting on the hill surrounded by enemies and we all just watched the fight below without attacking each other.
I wish we could’ve talked with each other, it’s a shame ANet completely blocked that off.
one of the enemies sometimes stunned me or something similar, non-damaging (I retaliated with temporal curtain pulling and moa morph), but I couldn’t communicate to invite him to a friendly duel so we parted ways after the other guild wiped the floor with us a few times ;-)
I really don’t get why talking is forbidden. if someone insults you, you report them. but if you had a cool fight and want to say something nice you’re limited to a simple /bow .

in WvW

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

A neat idea and a good example of the GW community.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in WvW

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

This is great but, unfortunately, this is the kind of emergent behavior we get from a game with wasted potential because the developers take too long to implement something as easy as a duel system early on.

Of course, soon you will be able to duel – provided you pay the man for the privilege of using custom arenas.

in WvW

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

I tend to only find these dueling groups after midnight eastern time. It is a whole lot of fun!

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

in WvW

Posted by: Buzzcrave.6197

Buzzcrave.6197

OP forgot the first rule of fight club.

in WvW

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

This sort of behavior is what killed the PvP zones in CoV/CoH

Eventually the fight clubs reached a critical mass so large (because they contained members from both factions) that the players actually trying to play the game couldn’t any more. It was understandable there. That game launched with no PvP, then arena’s came later, and then MUCH later came the more “open” PvP zones. There was an exodous from the arenas to the zones and due to the primarily PvE population of the game there wasn’t a stable enough arena population left for the people that liked it.

I reccommend leveraging the custom server and spectator systems for this type of stuff. Any number of people can watch, you can control exactly who is and isn’t allowed in the arena to keep fights as pure as possible, and you’ll never have to deal with someone screwing up your match because you’re holding it in a place not designed for it. if all of the people in that screen donated one gold you could likely have the gems for that custom match for quite some time.

Sadly, this sort of behavior can’t really be moderated as long as people care more about fightclubbing than actually using the map objectives.

I live on TC, a server pretty famous for fighting at all hours of the day, regardless of score and it seems to me if your match is “slow” and there are enough people to have 30 at some fight club… you have enough people to be building siege and fighting over towers.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

in WvW

Posted by: Paradoxine.8192

Paradoxine.8192

This game simple needs somewhere in the game a “collosseum”, where players can duel in various kinds of matters. (gameplay modes)
I’d place that collosseum for example somewhere into the near of divinities reach, north of it in a new explorable territory.

Survival = 1 players vs. monsters until death, so longer you survive, so better the rewards

1vs1 = Duels of even leveled 1 player against 1 player, same goes for 2vs2, 3vs3 and 4vs4
——-
1vs2, 1vs3, 2vs3, 2vs4 ,2vs5
These kinds of modes for duels of higher level players against multiple players with lower levels

Timed
Beating a series of monsters as quick as possible. So faster you are, so better the rewards.

Mixed Up > 1vs1 consisting either of monsters or other players randomously.

Daily Tournaments > Fix set up registered players wil fight in mini-tournaments 1vs1.
The one who wins that tournement, gets a bigger reward at the end.

People which know the .hack G.U games know surely, how such a kind of feature should work for GW2 about a collosseum.
This kind of collosseum could then be also divided up into 4 difficulties.

Bronze = Level 1-20
Silver = Level 21-40
Gold = Level 41-60
Platinum = Level 61-80

and could get increased maybe in future to a 5th and 6th difficulty if the level cap should get ever raised

Mithril > 81-90
Orihalcum > 91 to 100

I like the idea of this, but I doubt the devs will ever see this post or if they do, consider it seriously. Even if they did consider it seriously and started work now, we’re looking at end of 2014, minimum.

Depressing really.

in WvW

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I tried to 1 vs 1 our Grub in EB. Lord Flameram didn’t approve…

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in WvW

Posted by: Siobhan.3582

Siobhan.3582

REd is dead.. our guild will roll thru there and kill everyone.

You HAVE dueling.. go to mists and pick a server with nobody in it..

Wpvp is World.. Our whole alliance rolls over stuff like this and just laughs

That one person.

in WvW

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

I think it’s pretty cool, anytime i spend ingame usually at a WvW JP dueling or ganking/pvp. I also understand why you don’t take it to the mists, it’s that mutual respect in combat + that feeling having your neck out there in a open unstructured environment (pvp server style), great feeling that brings the game alive a lil more.

Zerg’n&running half of a WvW w/o a mount very boring

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

in WvW

Oranisagu.3706

optional and voluntary dueling would be so much fun, but the problem is, they don’t really want it because it leads to ‘class x is better than class y’.. some classes ARE better in 1v1s than others. these classes are not better generally, but I kinda understand people who want their class to be equally viable in all areas of the game.
if I didn’t misread, they’ve finally given in and will allow 1v1s in custom arenas, maybe they’ll see the light and make it available for everyone one day..

in WvW

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

I’ve got to agree with the bulk of the posters. If we found this on one of our servers, a zerg would be formed with the express purpose of stomping every single one of you.

You want to duel? Grab a PvP arena and knock yourself out. An out of game “gentleman’s agreement” has no place in the mists. You’re taking slots from people who want to be there to play as intended.

in WvW

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

Sadly, this sort of behavior can’t really be moderated as long as people care more about fightclubbing than actually using the map objectives.

Exactly. Conclusion: make map objectives more interesting, for example:

- make taking tower/keep harder and not zergable in 2 mins, so there will be long lasting epic fights around it
- make taking a tower/keep matter, not only for a weekly score that most individuals don’t care about
- make killing enemies more important (if it was rewarding enough nobody would fight club cause it’d be too tempting to kill enemies, or for a zerg to wipe it all)

I’m sure there’s more options, but ye. Dueling mostly exists cause people are too bored with the regular gameplay and look for something that is actually interesting.

in WvW

Posted by: Zoldyck.6241

Zoldyck.6241

2 days ago, i saw what I thought was a 2 invaders vs 1 so I rushed and tried to help.

You know what I got? Being cussed at by what I thought was our would-be “victim”. Turns out they were dueling. -_-

in WvW

Oranisagu.3706

…Dueling mostly exists cause people are too bored with the regular gameplay and look for something that is actually interesting.

agree with the rest but not this. I’d like to duel because I find it good practice. once you’re good at dueling, you can try 2v2s to learn how to play better in a team. I think you’ll learn a lot more about your class and how to be useful for your allies than you could ever learn while zerging around (not that I don’t like to zerg, it’s a lot more relaxing but also a lot of fun with a good commander).

in WvW

Posted by: Darx.9842

Darx.9842

I’ve got to agree with the bulk of the posters. If we found this on one of our servers, a zerg would be formed with the express purpose of stomping every single one of you.

You want to duel? Grab a PvP arena and knock yourself out. An out of game “gentleman’s agreement” has no place in the mists. You’re taking slots from people who want to be there to play as intended.

The “bulk of the posters” aren’t against this. And go ahead and try to stomp everyone there, it won’t work.

This game is about playing the way you want to play.

in WvW

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

With the May 14th update, the EB Jumping Puzzle will be its “own” map meaning those that enter there, wont count towards the population cap in EB.

I suggest, you move your duels over there to avoid regular wvwlers being stuck in a queue because of your fight club.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Southsun-update-May-14th/first#post1979178

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in WvW

Posted by: Laurelinde.4395

Laurelinde.4395

With the May 14th update, the EB Jumping Puzzle will be its “own” map meaning those that enter there, wont count towards the population cap in EB.

I suggest, you move your duels over there to avoid regular wvwlers being stuck in a queue because of your fight club.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Southsun-update-May-14th/first#post1979178

Not a bad idea. I have also fallen victim to making an incorrect judgement call that someone was in trouble, only to be killed while my realm-mate stood watching and did or said nothing until I was downed (hint: telling me only ‘run’ at that point was not especially useful.)

It would be nice if Anet implemented some kind of official duelling system, as there is clearly a demand for it. Plus, if it was available in the main open world, the duellists could have at it no matter which servers they were currently facing, via guesting (and could communicate while doing so.)

Laurelinde & Cookie/Beorna Bearheart
[TWG] – Gunnar’s Hold
Always remember Wheaton’s Law

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Yes, fight clubs should definetly go to JP instead of hogging space in WvW when the change rolls in. Better for WvWers (less queues for those that actually want to play raids) and better for fight clubs (less people interfering with them).

in WvW

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

No dueling in mah WvW!

Instead, you should communicate with an invader that you want to duel, somehow convince them to join you in the mists, sit through several loading screens and then duel! Then once you’re done, come back and find someone else to duel!

Yeah no. These little fight clubs are great. I have met some really great people and have had a ton of fun in them. It’s a refreshing change from the camp>tower>camp>tryforSM routine. Sandbox activities should be encouraged, especially when there is so little of it to begin with.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

stale.9785

No dueling in mah WvW!

Instead, you should communicate with an invader that you want to duel, somehow convince them to join you in the mists, sit through several loading screens and then duel! Then once you’re done, come back and find someone else to duel!

Yeah no. These little fight clubs are great. I have met some really great people and have had a ton of fun in them. It’s a refreshing change from the camp>tower>camp>tryforSM routine. Sandbox activities should be encouraged, especially when there is so little of it to begin with.

When it takes away from other people playing the game as intended, it should be discouraged, heartily.

in WvW

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

When it takes away from other people playing the game as intended, it should be discouraged, heartily.

I won’t refute your claim, but I have not personally witnessed anything being taken away from people. Usually these things are away from general WvW activities and to be honest, 10 people having a bit of fun and dueling shouldn’t affect queue times at all. That blame should fall to the 20 or so people I see afk every single time I port back to a keep before it gets put on people actively playing the game.

As for people walking in on the dueling and thinking its a battle, people on their side do tend to inform them of what’s going on, but if they choose to attack, that’s fair game in my opinion. It is a PvP zone after all.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

stale.9785

I won’t refute your claim, but I have not personally witnessed anything being taken away from people. Usually these things are away from general WvW activities and to be honest, 10 people having a bit of fun and dueling shouldn’t affect queue times at all. That blame should fall to the 20 or so people I see afk every single time I port back to a keep before it gets put on people actively playing the game.

As for people walking in on the dueling and thinking its a battle, people on their side do tend to inform them of what’s going on, but if they choose to attack, that’s fair game in my opinion. It is a PvP zone after all.

To me, it’s people occupying a slot that could be used by someone who’s actually supporting their world.

I don’t have anything against dueling, per se, I just figure the fans of it should push Anet to make arena’s in the major towns for people who want to fight with their PvE setup, instead of the pvp balance.

Not a fan of the open-world PvP that gets suggested every second day, because I don’t want to deal with the “duel me, bruh” people. Not a huge fan of someone wasting space in a warzone if they’re not actually going to contribute – I’d be thrilled to see Anet add a place specifically for fans of that type of play, if there’s enough demand for it.

in WvW

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Those who duel in WvW probably don’t take up nearly as much space as the PVe’ers who neither want not care about WvW who are there just to get world completion. I promise you, more people who don’t care about WvW are out there trying to get world completion every day on every server than are trying to duel in WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Those who duel in WvW probably don’t take up nearly as much space as the PVe’ers who neither want not care about WvW who are there just to get world completion. I promise you, more people who don’t care about WvW are out there trying to get world completion every day on every server than are trying to duel in WvW.

PvPers have an interesting mentality sometimes. Here we have some saying, no dueling. It takes up a slot in WvW that others want to use. But when a PvEer points out that to get maps 100% they are forced into a PvP area, that they don’t help in any way and take up a slot in WvW that others want to use, then it’s different. Then it’s you MUST explore WvW to get the title.

Well, if it’s not a big deal for PvEers to take up a wanted slot then it’s ok for duelers to do so.

in WvW

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

PvPers have an interesting mentality sometimes. Here we have some saying, no dueling. It takes up a slot in WvW that others want to use. But when a PvEer points out that to get maps 100% they are forced into a PvP area, that they don’t help in any way and take up a slot in WvW that others want to use, then it’s different. Then it’s you MUST explore WvW to get the title.

Well, if it’s not a big deal for PvEers to take up a wanted slot then it’s ok for duelers to do so.

Yep. Pretty much my take on it too. lol

in WvW

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

I really don’t get why talking is forbidden. if someone insults you, you report them. but if you had a cool fight and want to say something nice you’re limited to a simple /bow .

you can, clilck the “enemy” player, select party invite from the ui & ta-da, you`re in a party with them.
Alas, if they`re in party doesn`t work.

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

in WvW

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

They really should have dueling in PvE; it would be great while waiting outside of a dungeon for group members to get ready (or even inside the dunegon if a player dced or something), while waiting for a meta event like the dragons, etc. I have talked with many players while waiting at these events and there are many that would love a duel feature.

The heart of the mists are just not attractive to someone like me:
1) lots of loading screens
2) You have to pay for custom arenas (even free to plays like Dragon Nest don’t do this…)
3) Separate weapon/armor skins (can’t use your skins that you worked hard for in PvE)

Then guess what I can do in WvW:
1) less loading screens
2) Don’t need gems to fight others in a duel
3) Can use your PvE weapon and armor skins….

Now, which one should be my go to? I think I’ll choose the most negative of the two!

in WvW

Posted by: koopatroopa.5360

koopatroopa.5360

Majority of the fight clubs happen at night, so your precious slots for the map are not even close to being filled.

in WvW

Posted by: Lianna.6980

Lianna.6980

Crossrealm cooperation should lead to bans.

Saw it in many games, so many games PvP, RvR, WvW, add-any-other-name severely damaged.

in WvW

Fishbait.6723

Crossrealm cooperation should lead to bans.

Saw it in many games, so many games PvP, RvR, WvW, add-any-other-name severely damaged.

Yes, one realm spying on another &/or helping the enemy know wtk is going on should be dealt with, but this is merely duelling.
No camps get flipped, no towers, no siege bot activated etc.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524

in WvW

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

Nice idea. Until some idiot guild starts camping it for free kills.

Pretty much this, though I wouldn’t use the term “idiot guild”, sounds like a smart move to me. I remember dueling going in in the frontier in DAoC as well, and it had to be treated like Fight Club (first rule and all that) since if word got out you could be certain it was going to get steam rolled. Which will certainly happen here now that it has been made public. I know it will on my server without a doubt.

(edited by Phaedryn.3698)

in WvW

stale.9785

Lol, just spent an enjoyable hour in wvw. Pointed out the duelists hanging around, and we kept zerging through to smoke ‘em. One of my friends from dungeon running is on DH (we’re IoJ) and is trying to get them to do the same to our “duelists”.

Bit of a pity they’re out of the way of anything really tactical, but whatever. Worth the detour just to stomp ’em.

in WvW

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

i see, so this is the place when the next time i log in i can go and get free bags by ksing

I took an arrow to the knee

in WvW

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

I can’t help but view this kind of conduct as extremely disrespectful towards your server community. You are after all occupying a slot somebody actually wanting to fight it out could make better use of to fraternize with the enemy. Shame on you if you engage in this treachery.

in WvW

Phaedryn.3698

Lol, just spent an enjoyable hour in wvw. Pointed out the duelists hanging around, and we kept zerging through to smoke ‘em. One of my friends from dungeon running is on DH (we’re IoJ) and is trying to get them to do the same to our “duelists”.

Bit of a pity they’re out of the way of anything really tactical, but whatever. Worth the detour just to stomp ’em.

This is pretty much what I expect to happen now. The duelists will become entertaining fodder for the WvWers.

in WvW

Posted by: crimsonbro.3126

crimsonbro.3126

This game simple needs somewhere in the game a “collosseum”, where players can duel in various kinds of matters. (gameplay modes)
I’d place that collosseum for example somewhere into the near of divinities reach, north of it in a new explorable territory.

Survival = 1 players vs. monsters until death, so longer you survive, so better the rewards

1vs1 = Duels of even leveled 1 player against 1 player, same goes for 2vs2, 3vs3 and 4vs4
——-
1vs2, 1vs3, 2vs3, 2vs4 ,2vs5
These kinds of modes for duels of higher level players against multiple players with lower levels

Timed
Beating a series of monsters as quick as possible. So faster you are, so better the rewards.

Mixed Up > 1vs1 consisting either of monsters or other players randomously.

Daily Tournaments > Fix set up registered players wil fight in mini-tournaments 1vs1.
The one who wins that tournement, gets a bigger reward at the end.

People which know the .hack G.U games know surely, how such a kind of feature should work for GW2 about a collosseum.
This kind of collosseum could then be also divided up into 4 difficulties.

Bronze = Level 1-20
Silver = Level 21-40
Gold = Level 41-60
Platinum = Level 61-80

and could get increased maybe in future to a 5th and 6th difficulty if the level cap should get ever raised

Mithril > 81-90
Orihalcum > 91 to 100

I like this. Add in a place for people to watch (if it was in there sorry, I’m tired) and I’d certainly be there to check it out. Although watching people go at it on youtube is pretty entertaining. I remember a mod I had for UT2004 that had you killing a ton of monsters that just kept spawning. It was pretty fun. Way off topic I know. Sorry. Like I said, tired.

in WvW

Fishbait.6723

This is pretty much what I expect to happen now. The duelists will become entertaining fodder for the WvWers.

Guessing that`d mean the PvDKnockers will have to come with a zerg (for a change…;p) as I`d also place bets that the duellers/GvGers will be better at PvP.

in WvW

Posted by: JamboHammer.4397

JamboHammer.4397

it is so funny how you people keep saying it takes up wvw space first off it doesnt because they go to a map that usually has no players in it and u zergs think ur going to stomp a fight club? thats funny cuz 1v1 players are better then you pvd zergers and if theres alot of ppl participating in the duels ur zerg will get stomped into the ground cuz ur used to fighting a tower gate or wall. and also if ur dueling ppl U DO NOT FINISH so wtf are u tradeing plz explain that to me

Nsp,Gom,Mag[Yaks Bend] Asura Thief- Chronic Fangs/Asura War- Karcerus/Norn Mes- Karcmerus
Charr Ele- Mack Jack/Human Guardian- Karcian/Human Necro- Karcermancer/
Asura Rev- Kushatronium/Asura Engi- Kushatronic /Sylvari Ranger- Karcushian

(edited by JamboHammer.4397)

in WvW

Posted by: Folk.2093

Folk.2093

Not really; generally in every PVP based game I’ve played PVP’rs have always viewed dueling as a form of carebear PVE.

(edited by Folk.2093)

in WvW

Posted by: Folk.2093

Folk.2093

it is so funny how you people keep saying it takes up wvw space first off it doesnt because they go to a map that usually has no players in it and u zergs think ur going to stomp a fight club? thats funny cuz 1v1 players are better then you pvd zergers and if theres alot of ppl participating in the duels ur zerg will get stomped into the ground cuz ur used to fighting a tower gate or wall. and also if ur dueling ppl U DO NOT FINISH so wtf are u tradeing plz explain that to me

Incorrect generally good dueling builds are different than WVW builds.

also back on topic having duelers in a specific map could cause one side to lose their outmanned buff; which would then deter that side from trying to do WVW for their server.

in WvW

Phaedryn.3698

Once more, in english please?

in WvW

Phaedryn.3698

Guessing that`d mean the PvDKnockers will have to come with a zerg (for a change…;p) as I`d also place bets that the duellers/GvGers will be better at PvP.

Better at dueling, 1-v-1, PvP perhaps. Unfortunately for them open field, mass combat, involves an entirely different skill set. I think the phrase you are looking for is “steam rolled”.

It should probably be pointed out I am not referring to random pug zergs here, but dedicated WvW guilds. You know, the guys that show up with 15-ish and wipe the 40+ person pug zergs without batting an eye? Yeah, them.

in WvW

Posted by: little ceasar.9254

little ceasar.9254

Why not just use the EB JP for duels. Seperate map so people won’t flame about wasted spaces and less chance of a guild running you over. There will be a few people in there that specifically look to gank, but they are generally looking for unsuspecting easy kills.

Ashr [AGG]RESSION
CD→SoS→BG→ET→DB→JQ→SoS→
Mag→JQ→SoS→JQ→TC→FA→DB→FA→Mag→TC→KN