Using periods in chat... Opinions?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I was in a dungeon PUG yesterday, and there was a bit of talking going on. Then one of the players said it comes over as arrogant, to use periods at the end of a sentence. Another guy said he had to kinda agree with that. I’m like what, lol? I know most people don’t use periods when chatting online, but still…

So, I’m just wondering. What do people think when they see someone use periods at the end of their sentences. Do they come over as arrogant to you? Do you not care? Do you use periods yourself? Something else?

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

Nope. And this comes from someone who uses emoticons as punctuation :P

(For the arrogant part. I’m too lazy to use proper punctuation in game, but I never give it a second thought if others do.)

(edited by Tamaki Revolution.3548)

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

Depends if the person constantly uses (…….) I see it as a person that have little intellect. However, if the person only uses …… at the end of one sentence then it shows either a a lack of confidence or even arrogance depending what the sentence is saying.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

Milennin.4825

Depends if the person constantly uses (…….) I see it as a person that have little intellect. However, if the person only uses …… at the end of one sentence then it shows either a a lack of confidence or even arrogance depending what the sentence is saying.

I’m talking about single periods, not ellipsis.
Ellipsis gets annoying when someone overuses it in my opinion. Otherwise I don’t have a problem with it.

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

…yeah, this is weird. It’s more likely to mean the speaker is role-playing… but that’s not the only reason people do it.

Really, there are just certain kinds of people who type with proper capitalization and punctuation, even on-line; I don’t do this anymore, but I can’t fault people who do. I haven’t seen any evidence to suggest that they think they’re more important just because they do this.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: Esturk.2183

Esturk.2183

Some people have jobs that require typing with proper grammar and it’s probably second nature to type a period at the end of each sentence.

Tamaki Revolution.3548

Unless they’re losing an argument, then whoo boy… (for Blaze) you’ll be told every single mistake you just made.

Posted by: Wooboost.8527

Wooboost.8527

Same I don’t mind you’re punctuation if you don’t mind my lazy shortened words and botched sentences. ur u b4 folo hlp gunna dnt ooc rlly wat k gz srry my b…

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

that gave me a laugh!
I honestly don’t care how you end your sentence, I have enough trouble spelling and fighting at the same time.
Often I have typed something, only to think later- what?- did I just type that with my feet?
If someone ends a sentence with a period, I’m not sure I would even notice let alone think it is arrogant.

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Tamaki Revolution.3548

Same I don’t mind you’re punctuation if you don’t mind my lazy shortened words and botched sentences. ur u b4 folo hlp gunna dnt ooc rlly wat k gz srry my b…

I’ve got the beginning, and the end… (Blaze), but the middle is still confusing me :P (for me)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I was in a dungeon PUG yesterday, and there was a bit of talking going on. Then one of the players said it comes over as arrogant, to use periods at the end of a sentence. Another guy said he had to kinda agree with that. I’m like what, lol? I know most people don’t use periods when chatting online, but still…

So, I’m just wondering. What do people think when they see someone use periods at the end of their sentences. Do they come over as arrogant to you? Do you not care? Do you use periods yourself? Something else?

Yes, I use periods myself. I didn’t learn to type from playing a game, though RPing in one did improve my typing speed greatly.

Typing is a skill, much like baking. Taking the time and effort to learn how to do it correctly is like learning how to bake correctly. It just comes out better when you include everything that’s supposed to be there. Take this post for example, wouldn’t it be much harder to read without correct punctuation? Without it, it would be about as enjoyable as a cake made with no sugar.

Take the time to type it all out, correctly. In time, it will become second nature, and your overall typing speed will improve. Then, when you need to type something else for school or work, you’ll find it comes MUCH easier.

((And if you’re a programmer prone to leaving out punctuation, even god can’t help you.))

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: google.3709

google.3709

You shouldn’t change for other people, specially online characters. If you have good grammar, USE IT! :]

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

In my opinion, you can never go wrong by using proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

In Guild Wars 2, I strive to form proper sentences when I have the time. During battle or when time is limited, I will resort to shorthand.

I honestly wouldn’t worry about it. As long as you avoid the common ones such as as all caps, you should be fine.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Well, there is one point to using periods even in a big hurry. The reader is in a hurry too and it is so much easier to read the text when you can see where one idea ends and another starts.

Milennin.4825

Well, there is one point to using periods even in a big hurry. The reader is in a hurry too and it is so much easier to read the text when you can see where one idea ends and another starts.

Valid point. If one person in a group can take the time to typ correctly it saves 4 others the time to decode the message.=P I know I’ve had times when I had to think what someone was trying to say because they typed so poorly.>__>

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Usually in chat I don’t use capitalization but in forums I do. I always try to use periods. Makes it more readable. I often use more than you have to use. In english and in my native language as well.

I remember someone said to me “you talk like a skritt” lol.

What I don’t like is people using emoticons all the time. Makes them sound like a 12 years old girl especially if there are some every few words.

And I don’t say stuff like “hi”(in open chat in groups of course if the others start I reply with a hi). Usually I don’t need useless stuff with no information. I also just go and help in open world if someone needs help and then run away without saying anything even if he said “thanks”. Too lazy to type.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

your*

Sorry to be THAT person in this thread!

I do the same as crazylegsmurphy, type “properly” when I have the time, and shorten when in battle. When pressed for time, I also make typos like everybody else.

I wouldn’t expect anyone to proof-read every line of text they type into chat before sending. Never. However… there is a difference between typo, shortening, and genuine misspelling. If you talk about your “theif”, I find it difficult to take you seriously. I regard this as a character flaw in myself rather than in you, but somehow I can’t seem to change this about myself.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

I always attempt at proper gramma, usually not even thinking so much about it. I do use the common abbrevations though, such as brb, imo, bk, wb, yw, ty, np, etc.

The text language where everything is put like that or distorted with numbers I don’t really like. I find i kinda childish to use, but then we are all different. Use it with others that like to use that kinda language, but don’t expect others to understand it.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Arrogant? No. But it does feel a bit more serious, especially if it’s only one short sentence. Besides, chatting isn’t formal writing, it has to be fast. You type however works best for you.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Some people have jobs that require typing with proper grammar and it’s probably second nature to type a period at the end of each sentence.

Me for one. When I’m at work I spend a lot of time typing up either official records which will be shared between organisations or letters which are going out to members of the public and obviously both have to be written correctly. It’s actually harder for me to not type properly. Obviously I make mistakes but shifting into chat speak or whatever would actually take more effort.

I do sometimes skip the full stop at the end of the paragraph in chat because I tend to think the absence of any other words conveys the same meaning (and also I sometimes struggle to keep within the character limit as it is). But if it’s between two sentences I think it’s actually very helpful to see where one ends and the next begins, otherwise it’s easy to misread some things.

I don’t care how other people type though, as long as it’s not completely incomprehensible, and I will use abbreviations and other conventions. In GW1 I frequently found myself saying things like “FS R/E LFG ZB HM”. I haven’t quite gotten to that point in this game yet but I’m sure when I learn more abbreviations I will.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

typing for work came before typing for games. I drop caps on a lot of words but punctuation I like to leave in. Like others have said it helps break up and clarify what you are getting at.
Funny stuff on the internet if you google punctuation and meaning.

EDIT: was thinking of this even though it is not really related. Taken from a joke site on the internet.

An English professor wrote the words: “A woman without her man is nothing.” on the chalkboard and asked his students to punctuate it correctly.

All of the males in the class wrote: “A woman, without her man, is nothing.”

All the females in the class wrote: “A woman: without her, man is nothing.”

(edited by Yargesh.4965)

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Then one of the players said it comes over as arrogant, to use periods at the end of a sentence.

I have to say that that made me facepalm. I mean, I can understand why the periods might not be seen as necessary, considering the format of text we get. Honestly, it’s no different from claiming that not using apostrophes in words like “it’s”, “let’s” or “you’re” is somehow lazy.

For some people, it actually is significantly faster to not use apostrophes, commas or periods. For others, those things come from muscle memory and not using them would be weird.

I think that for most people, it is indeed a question of habit, rather than appearing “correct” or “proper” or trying for that.

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

it doesn’t annoy me if i read something that’s not grammatically correct or even spelt 100% right because i do it myself

but it does annoy me to read a sentence using only abbreviations and txt speak, i tend not to join those groups or talk with them

Posted by: Darth Llama.9217

Darth Llama.9217

I can’t believe anyone is so petty that they would be offended one way or the other. Personally, I generally use punctuation even in chat, it’s simply how I was taught to write. I however, realize that it’s an informal environment where people often have to type messages quickly and therefore expect to see abbreviations, slang, and lack of proper sentence structure. It’s not like it’s a business environment or we’re writing a doctoral thesis so I couldn’t care less. The fact that your party even brought it up just shows that they’re jerks looking for a reason to complain. Seriously, that’s one of the most petty and ridiculous things I have ever heard of. It’s chat in a video game for crying out loud.. who even cares?

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary, and those who don’t.

Posted by: Coquette.2753

Coquette.2753

Yes, I am an arrogant kitten who uses periods in the game chat. God forbid should I dare use things like commas and capitalized letters. The world might just end if someone doesn’t type like a cat rolled over their keyboard, in an MMO.

In all seriousness, I don’t care. If I’m busy, I’ll form up a sentence whichever way it may seem more convenient (or perhaps I’ll just make you wait till I’m free of whatever I was doing :P)

If life keeps asking you the same questions, you are not learning the lessons.
<Piken Square>

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I often. use periods. in sentences.

Wow, it was hard to type that. lol

As someone who has edited for other people, typing without punctuation is actually work. The only thing that prevents me from going back and proofreading my posts is the knowledge that if I did, I’d have a much lower post count.

On the other hand, some people would be completely in favor of that. lol

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

I don’t. I do capitalize the letter where there would have been a period before though lol. So yeah idk I guess I should use them in chat.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t. I do capitalize the letter where there would have been a period before though lol. So yeah idk I guess I should use them in chat.

I think you probably should use periods in chat Seeing a capital letter without one would look really weird to me Don’t you think? lol

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

…yeah, this is weird. It’s more likely to mean the speaker is role-playing… but that’s not the only reason people do it.

Really, there are just certain kinds of people who type with proper capitalization and punctuation, even on-line; I don’t do this anymore, but I can’t fault people who do. I haven’t seen any evidence to suggest that they think they’re more important just because they do this.

We use office communciator at work and this one woman always writes with perfect english in the IM window and it just comes off as so pretentious. She is an arrogant, angry person too. I mean, punctuation is fine, but it’s a little weird to worry about perfect grammar and capitalization in instant messages. She really thinks it makes her superior. Whenever I instant message her, I make it an effort to use incorrect everything in chat just to tick her off!

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: Darkstar.6178

Darkstar.6178

The only people who think it is arrogant to use a period at the end of a sentence in chat are morons who have no idea how to communicate with human beings.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

whenever people use periods in chat it always feels like they’re being serious, I dunno, I just find it a bit awkward tbh

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I’d be like what, lol? too. Maybe you just made him feel inadequate somehow cuz he was an awful typist or had a bad experience with periods? :/ Usually people complain about bad grammar. Or cut themselves when they see the word “ur,” because they’re insane.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: Rolyate.6753

Rolyate.6753

It’s simply the way it reads.

If you type a short sentence, following by a full-stop it can indeed be read in that manor.

Example:

Ring me

Ring me.

Do you notice a difference in tone? I certainly do.

Rolyate
How do you pronounce your name?

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

It’s simply the way it reads.

If you type a short sentence, following by a full-stop it can indeed be read in that manor.

Example:

Ring me

Ring me.

Do you notice a difference in tone? I certainly do.

No. Oh sorry…

No

Posted by: Aequitas.6402

Aequitas.6402

I kind of got into the habit of using punctuation when I’m serious, and just ending sentences without it when I’m joking or at least tongue-in-cheek. No idea where that comes from, but when I write without punctuation, the sentence feels like it’s just ‘thrown in the room’.

Or maybe it’s the other way round and I’m just messing with you right now

(edited by Aequitas.6402)

Posted by: Katzyn.9703

Katzyn.9703

Lol. Arrogant as in “I know how to spell and use punctuation so people know when I’m done with a sentence”?

I don’t believe it’s arrogant.

Katzy (80 Sylvari Ranger), Katarzynea (80 Norn Elementalist),
Katalii (40ish Asuran Mesmer), Katalyn Galadheon (15ish Human Warrior)

Posted by: Ratphink.4751

Ratphink.4751

It’s not my fault if the ignorant plebs can’t bear the Nettiquette of a proper Web-Gentleman.

As amusing as this entire strain of thought is, I can’t see myself ever caring about people’s grammar and punctuation in a video game. The objective of communication is the transference of ideas. So long as I understand the idea that the other person is trying to relay, I don’t care how they go about doing it.

“I have begun my journey in a paper boat without a bottom.”

Posted by: Guns and Giblets.9308

Guns and Giblets.9308

In my case, my profession (academics/education) requires immaculate attention to grammar in every situation; it’s nice to not really care about it in a game!

“A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.” -Jewish Proverb

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

I type with correct punctuation and grammar because it keeps me practiced for various college classes I take. Not only that, but I read many books as well (meaning it reinforces my typing habits). For me, typing correctly makes it easier to understand what others are trying to say, and it’s easier to get my sentences across. I read everything like it’s in a book.

When People Type Like This, The Sentence Sounds Disjointed In My Head And Makes It Very Frustrating To Read. EvEn ThIs Is SuPeR aNnOyInG aNd I sTaRt To WoNdEr WhEn ThE sEnTeNcE wIlL eNd. when ppl tipe lik dis it also makes it hard to red cuz it sounds lyk u is tryn 2 b hillbilly bob. When people type like this, it doesn’t bother me and makes reading it not only simple and pleasurable, but enjoyable as well. It organizes and gathers thoughts in a format so that when other people read it, they too can understand what angle you are trying to come from and aren’t afraid they are misinterpreting what you are trying to say. It’s a form of communication.

Person – “Hey, whats ur dad like?”
Me – “He’s nice, friendly and honest.”
Person – “No i mean what does he want for his birthday present?”
Me – “Oh. Well then, in that case…”

Person – “Hey lets go throw that rock over there”
Me – “Where do you want me to throw it? Wait, what rock? I don’t see a rock I can throw.”
Person – “No i mean you can walk throw this rock here”
Me thinking – “Oh, you meant through the rock. I understand now.”

Words commonly misused:
butt, but “I don’t want to be rude, but you have a big butt.”
there, their, they’reThey’re over there by their car.”
to, too, twoTo my darling Edward, I too have not one, but two dogs as well!”
see, saw, seen “I saw Todd today who told me he had seen a strange man who swears he can see ghosts.”

hear, here “I hear a noise coming from that house. It’s around here somewhere.”
bye, buy, byBye honey! I’m going to swing by the grocery store and buy some milk!”
its, it’sIt’s ok with me if you want the monkey to share its habitat with another.”
through, threw “He threw the baseball through the window!”
sail, sale “I bought a sail for your boat. It was on sale!”

(edited by WatchTheShow.7203)

Posted by: smeen.4237

smeen.4237

WeLl I cOuLd AlWaYs TyPe LiKe MaKaRa :o)

But if I offended anyone by using correct punctuation in the chat I apologize. It’s trained. Has to do with my job. People won’t read my work if I’m not typing it properly.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

I like to use bunny-trails (…..) to indicate a pause. I try to use punctuation properly if I have time.
The problem is that you have to get somewhere safe, or you have to get to a pause in the action, to do so. You know how it goes. You start to type something and get attacked. Then you are frozen but your chat is recording every keystroke as you die.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Milennin.4825

The problem is that you have to get somewhere safe, or you have to get to a pause in the action, to do so. You know how it goes. You start to type something and get attacked. Then you are frozen but your chat is recording every keystroke as you die.

Quickly click outside chat box and it’ll freeze the chat while you fight.=p Then you can finish what you were typing afterwards.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Quickly click outside chat box and it’ll freeze the chat while you fight.=p Then you can finish what you were typing afterwards.

:) I do that but I can’t count how many times I thought I had clicked out and hadn’t.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Then one of the players said it comes over as arrogant, to use periods at the end of a sentence. Another guy said he had to kinda agree with that.

In other words, they are intimidated by people who have better grammar and communication skills than they do.

If they don’t want to use proper punctuation, that’s their choice, but if I were a hiring manager, I’d put their resume/application straight into the circular file.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

I was in a dungeon PUG yesterday, and there was a bit of talking going on. Then one of the players said it comes over as arrogant, to use periods at the end of a sentence.

I look down on the people who -don’t- make some attempt at decent grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Not perfect, but decently readable.

These things are about making a message clearer; they’re about communicating.

If you can’t communicate, you shouldn’t wonder when you’re not understood.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Lpfan.3578

Lpfan.3578

I agree with Kichwas! People who make little, or no, attempt at decent grammar, spelling, and punctuation are the ones who bug me. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but as long as you can tell the person put forth some effort to be understood then it’s good enough.

As far as using periods in chat goes, I use them sometimes and sometimes I don’t. I don’t see them as a requirement in chat, but I definitely see no problem with people using them. As others have said, the over use of ellipsis can get annoying! Sometimes I even catch myself using them a bit too much. Oops!

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

My take on people who are like those the OP mentioned can be summed up in a movie called “Idiocracy”.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: gassy.8975

gassy.8975

As long as people aren’t being rude in chat, I don’t care how they type.

Posted by: daver.8324

daver.8324

As long as people aren’t being rude in chat, I don’t care how they type.

I agree but I kinda care that make sense, the amount of arguments I’ve been in or seen because someone mistyped something is staggering.

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

My take on people who are like those the OP mentioned can be summed up in a movie called “Idiocracy”.

But…it’s got electrolytes!

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”