WP's video PoF Fail to Deliver?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

In response to WoodenPotatoes recent video about “What Does Path of Fire Fail To Deliver?”

I agree with everything he said in this video however I would like to add that regarding library I would like to see them to take the opportunity to build a web portal and mobile app to incorporate things like a library, inventory system, achievements, build tracking, chat (text and voice) system and various shareable community features.

I’m sure I’m atypical in that I use multiple computers (connected via Synergy) nearly all the time. I would love to have a web interface on my browsing PC to show maps, handle chats, etc while I’m in the game. I’m sure there are many people who use two monitors on a single PC which if the game is run in Windowed mode could do the same thing with the second monitor.

I’d love to be able to run a limited GUI (not fully off) just showing the minimum needed while all the other info is displayed on the other screen.

On a side note regarding Windowed mode; I would like to see them add options for a maximized window mode so that you don’t have to resize it to fit while keeping the task bar is visible and an HD button on the title bar to allow users with larger monitors (wide screen, 4K, etc) to set the window to precisely 1920×1080 so that people who stream or record game videos can capture exact HD sized video.

One thing that WP didn’t mention is that they didn’t deliver a homestead option. I think that could be easily done via the existing guild hall system by allowing the player along with the other members of Dragon’s Watch to capture a special guild hall map to which could act as a customizable homestead of sorts along with a story hub. The player’s home instance upgrades could be transplanted to the Dragon’s Watch Guild Hall. Players could issue entry permits to friends.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I havent seen WPs video yet, but in response to your post I think it bears mentioning that not implementing a feature that you want is not a failure to deliver unless that feature was promised or otherwise indicated as being on the table.

Otherwise every game and expansion ever released by any company would be defined by the thousands of features they failed to deliver on.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

It kinda is a failure when some of the features are requested since the begining.

As for the op: Let anet cut some slack man. They clearly focus on content than new features this time around for good or bad. Content which we have yet to see.

Tekoneiric.6817

I havent seen WPs video yet, but in response to your post I think it bears mentioning that not implementing a feature that you want is not a failure to deliver unless that feature was promised or otherwise indicated as being on the table.

Otherwise every game and expansion ever released by any company would be defined by the thousands of features they failed to deliver on.

True however there has been such a large section of the community asking for many features that ANet has ignored. The biggest that he mentioned in the video is build templates. I see that mentioned all the time on the forums. I see homestead space mentioned quite a bit. ANet even went out of their way to mention awhile back that it wouldn’t make it into this release.

While you can’t run the game on mobile devices a web & mobile presence to interact with your account is just a feature that goes with the modern times. It’s almost a given that this should be implemented to increase the player base.

With the phobia around the previous content drought I think that it’s causing ANet to push story and map content out just a little to fast at the expense of adding substance features to the game along with fixing/updating existing content.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

People thought ANet ignored mounts and of course, turns out ANet’s been working on them for years, long before PoF. They just hadn’t figured out all the details and, per their practice, didn’t mention it until it was nearly ready to ship.

Accordingly, all we can say is that PoF includes a lot of features, some of which we wanted, some of which we didn’t know we wanted, and some which people will claim no one wanted. Likewise, it lacks some features that we’ve wanted for ages, including build templates — but some of those have been requested for over 5 years (since BETA testing).

Not seeing the features in PoF doesn’t mean ANet’s ignored us; it just means that they aren’t in the game today (or next month).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

PoF— seems to be nothing but a gold sink to me and most likely the last nail in the coffin. Major mistake in the direction of the game and it will cost them (imho and I entitled to it).

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

PoF— seems to be nothing but a gold sink to me and most likely the last nail in the coffin. Major mistake in the direction of the game and it will cost them (imho and I entitled to it).

Wait, what makes it a gold sink? What exactly will they be forcing you to spend gold on in PoF?

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

it is welcomed to hear something I been saying for some time now . and put it far more better than I can apparently . my attempts to bring this topic up has fell of deaf ears if you will or the ones who do not wish to upgrade their pc,s like you and me have already done .

anet this topic has fell on deaf ears with them as well. giving the fact that when the game was made in 2012 some of this stuff could have been done already when the game was made.

anet wanted to cater to the low end users mostly I think giving the low end specs which they just change that with the new pack coming out .

while it is good to cater to that group of people as well too . anet as a company should not forget about us too that are able to use better hard ware and so forth and want to enjoy the game at its most best offerings possible to all

and given how the game has problems now with some of the NVidia 10 video card series which them posts mostly are in the bug and broken game forum .

it be nice to play on 2 g sync monitor 4k or use cross fire or SLI it be nice to be able to run 2 960 4 gig or 2 1080 TI 4 gig video cards at the same time as well as have support
for the new ryzen thread ripper cpu,s with multi core use .

or even just one sadly to say tho anet thinks other wise on this topic . and sees no need at all for this or these things to be add to the game . otherwise its just deaf ears topic sadly to say . but yet other games like world of Warcraft and ESO and so forth already have this stuff done and other with . I will admit is nice playing them games and getting 80 to 120 fps and better

and all that made my choices on the new pack . for me as not one question playing in 4K and 120 fps sure does make old games not only more better but even put the fun back into them games for me .

I just feel dumbfound why it is anet can not or will not see all these posts from others besides me and say oh well we are staying put on this no new upgrades or noting to give more fun for all .

no new system upgrades coming

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

Wait, what makes it a gold sink? What exactly will they be forcing you to spend gold on in PoF?

if you not read this topic on it I think you find it a good read on why it is the new pack is going to be a major gold sink .

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Unidentified-gear-Please-No-No-No-Nooooo/page/11#post6743375

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

if you not read this topic on it I think you find it a good read on why it is the new pack is going to be a major gold sink .

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Unidentified-gear-Please-No-No-No-Nooooo/page/11#post6743375

I’m not brave enough to venture more than a few posts into that thread, tbh.

But regardless, I’m not sure how unidentified gear can possibly be a gold sink. If it’s costing you more gold to identify the gear than you’re making from the gear itself, then that eliminates any reason to identify it in the first place, thus saving you time and inventory space. Conversely, if identifying the gear ends up being profitable, that’s the exact opposite of a gold sink. Although if there’s something I’m missing about this topic, I’d love to read about it without digging through 11 pages of “stop making me work for my loot” posts

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

But regardless, I’m not sure how unidentified gear can possibly be a gold sink. If it’s costing you more gold to identify the gear than you’re making from the gear itself, then that eliminates any reason to identify it in the first place, thus saving you time and inventory space. Conversely, if identifying the gear ends up being profitable, that’s the exact opposite of a gold sink. Although if there’s something I’m missing about this topic, I’d love to read about it without digging through 11 pages of “stop making me work for my loot” posts

I can respect that how ever I would say honestly I much rather read that one then say some of the other um long winded topics that are currently going

never the less I will try my best to give you that in say a short term nuts and bolts way .

basically the whole thing boils down to this unidentified gear basically you will get blues and greens and maybe every blue moon or so a rare maybe . but in order to id said items . you must do hearts quests each and every day you wish to id said items

which that costs you about 2 silver to id each item after you done said heart quest to id items to begin with which you might get some good mats and maybe you get junk mats .. that part is still in the unknown till the game comes out .

versus the other school of thought being you do not id these items . you might get at best 16 to 25 copper at best to just sell these to a vendor and be done with it .

versus the other school of thought if you do not do this id thing what is it your not getting or miss out on say maybe id 25 or 50 items and have 2 of them be rare items at best

that in the short as nut and bolts as I can put for you . I hope that helps you some what better to see why this is being called noting more than a gold sink .

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

And that is all that thread is, a bunch of people whining because they do not understand the system.

The unid gear IS a gold sink. But it is not robbing you of anything, you will get far more value from IDing than it costs you. It’s a material faucet and a gold sink, you get far more materials than the value of the gold you input.

You can ID for unique skins and loads more rares than you would ordinarily get from the same number of drops.

Edit: People do not realise that the unid themselves can salvage into low tier mats and you can get 18 of them per salvage. I saw 18 platinum from one salvage. Also, 16 rares IDd from 90 unids.

They need to remove gold from the system. I don’t get how people cannot understand this fact.

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

And that is all that thread is, a bunch of people whining because they do not understand the system.

The unid gear IS a gold sink. But it is not robbing you of anything, you will get far more value from IDing than it costs you. It’s a material faucet and a gold sink, you get far more materials than the value of the gold you input.

You can ID for unique skins and loads more rares than you would ordinarily get from the same number of drops.

Edit: People do not realise that the unid themselves can salvage into low tier mats and you can get 18 of them per salvage. I saw 18 platinum from one salvage. Also, 16 rares IDd from 90 unids.

They need to remove gold from the system. I don’t get how people cannot understand this fact.

most interesting take if I do say so myself . but will say in guild wars it was ok for that . and nice toss back to it even tho honestly I never remember getting any thing of worth from it . when I play that game even today sigh

while I like a good bet as the next person this bet how ever is one I will be passing on till the game comes out . once that happens then we all will know for sure when every one makes topics even more or less on it.

but to remove the gold system its self ? surely your jesting at best right ?? I mean it have to be replaced with some type of currency . even if it was bananas or grapes every games have to have some type of currency system

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

most interesting take if I do say so myself . but will say in guild wars it was ok for that . and nice toss back to it even tho honestly I never remember getting any thing of worth from it . when I play that game even today sigh

while I like a good bet as the next person this bet how ever is one I will be passing on till the game comes out . once that happens then we all will know for sure when every one makes topics even more or less on it.

but to remove the gold system its self ? surely your jesting at best right ?? I mean it have to be replaced with some type of currency . even if it was bananas or grapes every games have to have some type of currency system

Have you seen how much loot you get from GW2? Your bags are overflowing all the time, why do people think they have added a system with a new expansion that will be less profitable than the core game? Look at HoT, the rewards you get there are miles better than core. PoF will be no exception.

Look, they can add in as much materials as they like, the result is people can craft more and the mats become cheaper, but they need to remove gold from the economy otherwise the capital just expands forever and inflation will increase dramatically.

By removing gold from the system, I was referring to a gold sink, not the removal of the currency.

Tekoneiric.6817

People thought ANet ignored mounts and of course, turns out ANet’s been working on them for years, long before PoF. They just hadn’t figured out all the details and, per their practice, didn’t mention it until it was nearly ready to ship.

Accordingly, all we can say is that PoF includes a lot of features, some of which we wanted, some of which we didn’t know we wanted, and some which people will claim no one wanted. Likewise, it lacks some features that we’ve wanted for ages, including build templates — but some of those have been requested for over 5 years (since BETA testing).

Not seeing the features in PoF doesn’t mean ANet’s ignored us; it just means that they aren’t in the game today (or next month).

I feel like there hasn’t been as much of a clamor for mounts as there has been for build templates. It was about equal between mounts and a homestead. Honestly before I was on the side that felt mount detracted from the game but they did implement it in a creative way that that surprised me in a good way. While I give them kudos for how they did mounts I feel it did detract from fundamental features needed like build templates and sidelined a player homestead or my preferred idea of a Dragon’s Watch guild hall.

It’s hard to tell if ANet is ignoring us or just keeping quite on features because so many people post suggestions or topics about some requested features just boil to the surface during general posts yet we hear little from ANet.

I understand the whole argument of how they can’t keep responding to people but they have PR people who’s job it is to interact with players. Despite if they intend to use suggestions or not, it’d be nice interaction if they did some kind of suggestion of the week or month tag. That way they could nudge suggestions to the surface to encourage players to discuss aspects of the idea. It would give the devs a jump start if they ever decided to use it and make players feel less like they are interacting with a brick wall.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

And any game that generates gold out of thin air has to have a way to make gold be destroyed or there will be massive inflation.

Which is what the unidentified gear serves as: a necessary gold sink.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I feel like there hasn’t been as much of a clamor for mounts as there has been for build templates. It was about equal between mounts and a homestead. Honestly before I was on the side that felt mount detracted from the game but they did implement it in a creative way that that surprised me in a good way. While I give them kudos for how they did mounts I feel it did detract from fundamental features needed like build templates and sidelined a player homestead or my preferred idea of a Dragon’s Watch guild hall.

It’s hard to tell if ANet is ignoring us or just keeping quite on features because so many people post suggestions or topics about some requested features just boil to the surface during general posts yet we hear little from ANet.

I understand the whole argument of how they can’t keep responding to people but they have PR people who’s job it is to interact with players. Despite if they intend to use suggestions or not, it’d be nice interaction if they did some kind of suggestion of the week or month tag. That way they could nudge suggestions to the surface to encourage players to discuss aspects of the idea. It would give the devs a jump start if they ever decided to use it and make players feel less like they are interacting with a brick wall.

I don’t think build templates were as important as mounts were internally. If you think about it, objectively, mounts not only add something completely new to the game, they also revolutionize a very common MMO feature and make it absolutely stunning and incredible. Adding mounts to the game actually added something unique to the game. Build templates are, at their core, nothing more than QoL.

While I love QoL, and would love to see build templates implemented, I can completely understand why a QoL feature would be deemed less important than something as amazing as the mount system we did get.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I’m assuming we are not going to get a ton of things because resources are going to other places…

http://massivelyop.com/2017/08/08/lineage-eternal-delayed-again-guild-wars-2-mobile-game-teased/

Besides, everything WP mentioned is not that important compared to some fundamentally flawed areas that need major improvement…

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Pino.5209

Pino.5209

WP rarely criticized GW2 to the point he just got it awkwardly incorrect right out of the gate. The first thing he mentioned was build template. Things like build template and gui update, for instance, are not missing features fail to be delivered on an xpac like PoF. They are QoL updates that the community requested for the game as a whole, not exclusive to PoF. There are good points being made in the video though.

He couldn’t even get the title right. It’s not “fail to deliver” per se, the content of his video for this one is more of inline with “missed opportunities to introduce xxx”.

I personally don’t get the hype of this PoF xpac’s mounts. Mounts and maps being designed to coexist with each other is not a new thing in mmorpg genre. A Springer can jump to high places exclusive for the mount in PoF map is as good as a feature a flying mount being needed to access area in the sky that only it can reach. It’s absurd ppl jumping up and down calling this “new” things, never been done before. Weird.

(edited by Pino.5209)

Tekoneiric.6817

While I love QoL, and would love to see build templates implemented, I can completely understand why a QoL feature would be deemed less important than something as amazing as the mount system we did get.

The problem with that is when does pushing QoL stuff back stop? There will always be some wiz bang new feature that will get priority. I would argue that improving the quality of the existing game is as important as expanding. There has to be a balance. Here’s a odd analogy that somewhat fits with the current situation down in Houston. It’s like if you were expanding a levee along a river; you can make it longer and longer but until you shore up what you have the water’s still going to escape the banks.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

The problem with that is when does pushing QoL stuff back stop? There will always be some wiz bang new feature that will get priority. I would argue that improving the quality of the existing game is as important as expanding. There has to be a balance. Here’s a odd analogy that somewhat fits with the current situation down in Houston. It’s like if you were expanding a levee along a river; you can make it longer and longer but until you shore up what you have the water’s still going to escape the banks.

Anet has closer to 400 employees, and could make some amazing stuff happen to gw2, but obviously resources are being diverted to other things…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/nearly-400-people-at-ArenaNet-speculation/first

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

It kinda is a failure when some of the features are requested since the begining.

So PoF is failing to deliver on:

open world (non-consensual) PvP
open world dueling
open ended gear treadmill
character inspect
a level increase
a significant across the board increase in difficulty
fishing
the addition of new dungeons
a cure for cancer

and any number of other items which were never stated to be on the table, or have actively been stated to be off the table for this expansion or for the game in general.

Not implementing a feature that was not promised nor even implied to be on the table or in the works is not a failure to deliver, its just a decision to not do something. Failure is an unsuccessful attempt or an omission of an expected feature. Nothing we have seen in PoF so far indicates an unsuccessful attempt at something nor an omission of a feature that we had been led to expect would be included.

I’d laugh if my boss decided to reprimand me for a failure to deliver a 25% sales increase for my department…as I do not work in sales.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So therefore, we can’t say that ANet is ignoring us. They might just disagree about priorities, as they clearly do with build templates.

Generally speaking, ANet has made these types of comments in the last 6-12 months:

• About to release something.
  • They are considering something and hope to tell us something soon.
  • They are not considering it.
  • And no comment at all.

So for example, they told us nothing about mounts or Elona, despite the threads that popped up every month … until they announced PoF (which, incidentally, they hadn’t mentioned either until they were ready to tease a date).

For example, they have told us they aren’t considering new races nor a revamp of LS1 (because it would use the same resources as introducing new living world stories, without offering the same entertainment value; new races would also introduce other complications).

For example, they’ve told us they are considering solutions for legendary sigil swapping and would like to see build templates; they’ve given no ETA for either.

And sure, there’s some features from the various lists above (include WP’s list) that they haven’t mentioned.

So I think we have to trust that ANet does exactly what they say they do: they read our suggestions (the cogent ones) and take it into account. At least, in the absence of actual evidence that they aren’t — they clearly have done some things different as a result of feedback, sometimes immediately and sometimes not.

So again, I can’t support that statement that “ANet has failed to deliver”. We, as individuals, might disagree with their priorities, but that’s not close to the same thing.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

Ignoring. Disagreeing. Or you know, just being reasonable and acknowledging that they have deadlines, and not every suggestion can be worked on.

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

WoodenPotato doing a negative ‘review’ before launch and thus not being able to do a proper review is rude and mean.

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

Did you watch it? It’s by no means rude or mean.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Its also worth noting that failed to deliver doesnt mean the same as a missed oppertunity, and what WP points out are mostly missed oppertunities. And I say I agree with most of them, but some of them I have accepted under the image that anet is understaffed, moreso than unwilling to provide. Maybe if anet had more resources/staff they could implement these things. That said, i dont believe that once an expansion is out, you should stop adding to it.
Theres no reason to still make mount emotes, or a mount pen, or anything else, and deliver it later than the expansion release.
And with that, i believe that things like build savers are maybe not so much expansion content, as they are mechanical updates that can be generated on its own (like the quarterly patch)

(edited by Amaimon.7823)

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

WoodenPotato doing a negative ‘review’ before launch and thus not being able to do a proper review is rude and mean.

Oh yes, feedback-criticism is rude and mean. Instead, lets wait for everyone to finish their products with all their flaws until we’re allowed to comment on them.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Yeah, it’s not rude or mean, I think people should watch it before commenting on it. He makes a lot of good points I don’t agree with everything he said but I share a lot of his concerns about the expansion and hope that they will address these missed opportunities sooner rather than later.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Man i want group home isntances and fishing.

Posted by: BadSanta.6527

BadSanta.6527

things that were faild to deliver :
ranger elite speclziton

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

Have you seen how much loot you get from GW2? Your bags are overflowing all the time, why do people think they have added a system with a new expansion that will be less profitable than the core game? Look at HoT, the rewards you get there are miles better than core. PoF will be no exception.

Look, they can add in as much materials as they like, the result is people can craft more and the mats become cheaper, but they need to remove gold from the economy otherwise the capital just expands forever and inflation will increase dramatically.

By removing gold from the system, I was referring to a gold sink, not the removal of the currency.

ah ok I got you now on the currency thing . I bet game economy people read that spit their drinks all over the screen reading it :P

Your bags are overflowing all the time

I do not have that problem at all only time I even come some what close to that is if I done 2 map completions which hardly ever happens as I tend to clean bags after the first map is done

and I got all bag slots open and 20 slot bags make things more easy to deal with

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

Man i want group home isntances and fishing.

far as fishing goes I love to see that come to the game . as I play world of war craft I enjoy the fishing their very much

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Not implementing a feature that was not promised nor even implied to be on the table or in the works is not a failure to deliver, its just a decision to not do something. Failure is an unsuccessful attempt or an omission of an expected feature. Nothing we have seen in PoF so far indicates an unsuccessful attempt at something nor an omission of a feature that we had been led to expect would be included.

Yeah I think it would have been better to call it “What PoF does NOT deliver/offer.”

I don’t see it much more than a exaggerated choice of words to make a more important sounding case, which is often the case on the internet.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

Rather see housing

Posted by: Raolin Soulherder.3195

Raolin Soulherder.3195

Yea the build templates is a major issue for me. Experimenting w/ builds is one of the main things that makes games like this fun, and that aspect is really hamstrung w/o a template system. One of the main reasons I haven’t spent time in pvp or fractals or dungeons is because I’d have to change builds & experiment and it’s a hassle w/o templates.

They’ve been stringing us along on this for at least 3+ yrs now and we still don’t even have a traits/utilities saver. (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Suggestion-Favorite-builds-button/first). It’s a QoL change that would make every single gamemode more fun. But apparently they’d rather add more dyes/hairstyles, mounts & other pve stuff.

I’m about ready to walk away from the franchise after 11 yr. Not gonna make purchases on faith anymore.