Wasted potential and terrible handling

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

What an amazing time it has been! Let’s recap.

There was a company that made a video game. The game was promised to be everything before it was launched. On release, it was a lot, but not everything. What pushed it most to fulfilling its potential was its amazing community. What kept this community together was a promise of improvement from the company. It kept the community playing, even though it wasn’t always rationally justified.

A year passed. Things improved. [Redacted] The company kept promising that it was learning from all these experiences, that it will keep pushing the game forward and improve it. The community was even engaged in discussions about the game development.

Time kept passing. Some promises were kept, some weren’t. No one complained about it. The community just wanted to know that things were coming and months spent on completing mundane daily activities in a stale game would pass with the coming of a new fantastic content.

At some point the communication provided by the company dropped in quality and quantity. Even then, the community continued playing, but months kept passing and passing. It was close to the games second anniversary, when things changed…

Let’s recap the most recent history.
With the past two weeks the company’s handling of recent events has consecutively hit new lows.

First came the gamescom. The PvP event has seen some developers of the company being asked questions about the game in general. The company has obvious policies regarding outside communication and the answers provided during gamescom interviews were well in line with these policies. That was the first mistake. Not only has the company agreed to giving interviews on topics it couldn’t discuss, it also delegated improper people to do it.

The community didn’t like what it saw. It didn’t like for example, that content that was made available in the past that the community absolutely loved wasn’t coming back anytime soon. It also didn’t like the tone of poor responses that not only wouldn’t explain why things weren’t being worked on, but also sounded like excuses.

Something ticked, the head and founder of the company decided to grace the community with a letter that tried to explain the situation. Instead of showing willingness to improve, the rhetoric suggested a total negligence and denial, duplicating the well-known interview political talk. Something inside the company was shaken though and the community has seen a sudden wake-up of few developers. One of them for example, decided to hop into a 4-month-old topic with concerns about a recently implemented system and acknowledge the community he would look into it again. How splendid… In another topic, someone else came back and reassured the community, that he would talk to them again. Would things finally come to normal…?

Tensions dropped as the days passed, but then… another interview happened. Once again were the developers asked questions. The community learned for example, that one of the oldest and most important systems that was in dire need of changes to make the game more appealing and keep sworn fans playing wasn’t being looked into for the past year and no plans to change that were made. The community was once again reminded of things that weren’t off the table and were a subject of revision down the road, down the pipe.

Leman

(edited by Moderator)

leman.7682

Let me ask one question as well – what the hell is going on with you?!
A quick state of the game:
Content-wise:

• PvE – open-world content has never been more boring. There has been no valuable content here outside of Tequatl revamp. Living story – most of it are instances that you do once or twice. Permanent, but worthless replayability-wise. Dungeons – buried under the sands of oblivion.
  • WvW – 5 months of work are bringing golem mastery and a new trick&trap. There is a new colour for commander icons.
  • PvP – no new modes, no new maps, broken matchmaking, Skyhammer, atrocious ‘balance’.
    Summary: where is the ‘expansion-worth of content’?

Rewards-wise:

• PvE – open-world – nerfed over and over (Segnor Blix sends hello from his coffin). Living story – opening achievement boxes is fun… until you see the contents. Dungeons – grinding same paths for two years now.
  • WvW – Colin said we would see a lot more precursors with the new reward system back when the rank system was introduced. Guess he meant something else. Also – playing WvW can actually make you lose money.
  • PvP – reward tracks are nice, but still not close to PvE.
    Summary: 2 blues and a green. Bloodstone dust. Even 10.000 champion boxes can’t help.

Now where exactly is the problem?
Everywhere. Literally all you’re doing is wrong.
You introduce content that people do not want and reject to bring back things that players love. When asked about it, you hide behind petty excuses instead of answering openly. You neglect the feedback and keep people in the dark. The communication management ranges from poor to straight unprofessional. Your game has long ago become boring, stale and unrewarding. Things that are important to your players are apparently not important enough to you. It looks horrible from the outside. Where are all the people that made this game such a great success? Where are all the Lead Designers? Are they out same as Robert Hrouda, Martin Kerstein and Kate Welch?

People have been telling you their feelings about the state of the game everyday for the past 48 months and all you give them is ‘maybes’.

How to waste huge potential by getting fixated on doing the wrong and rejecting to do the right.

Leman

(edited by leman.7682)

Posted by: Arcade Fire.4895

Arcade Fire.4895

It’s too much work to read all that. /s

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

I predict this thread will be removed.
But I think you have some valid points.
We should probably give anet time to show us whether they really will improve communication or not.

Posted by: Altius.2865

Altius.2865

Couldn’t agree more.

I’ve quit playing this game several times out of sheer boredom, each time returning in the hopes that something new would be introduced. Each time I held on to the hope that ArenaNet would finally put out something truly worthwhile, and each time I’ve been disappointed.

While the second season of Living Story is, in my opinion, better played out and better written than the first, it’s not nearly enough to compensate for the utter lack of change being made to this game. And yet for some reason, it’s become the primary focus of the game. A couple hours of well-written albeit effortless story missions with little to no replayability have become GW2’s center, and it’s not working out.

Any good MMO must be consistently updated and polished to get progressively better and maintain its freshness, to keep its player base interested and to draw in new players. After two years of this game being out, no remotely significant change has been made to the way the game is played in any way whatsoever.

- No new professions and no sign of its coming anytime soon.
- No new weapon types or weapons kills.
- No new weapons for any professions
- No new skills (aside from terrible Antitoxen, etc)
- Still-broken or otherwise inferior utility skills, racial skills, and elite skills.
- Poor itemization
- Same old dungeons, same old paths, same old rewards.
- No significant balancing.
- Poorly balanced and blatantly inferior/superior traits and builds.
- No new crafting skills or changes made to them.
- No new PvP or WvW maps (excluding Ktrain of the Mists)
- One tiny new zone with no quests.
- Stupid bugs and glitches that have been around the entire time.
- No otherwise meaningful changes.

The list can go on and on. I’ve dropped a good amount of money for ANet because, at first, I had incredibly high hopes for this game. I had thought I’d finally found a promising MMO that wasn’t going to sell out. Instead, I dropped money for a company that has made a habit of continually letting down its players and failing to meet expectations.

It’s been two years. TWO YEARS. For a game to be out this long and to still retain the vast majority of the things that were wrong with it since launch is absolutely unacceptable. It’s even worse that the game is devoid of significant updates. Time has proven that ANet has, voluntarily or not, become just another money-making machine that milks its players dry with promising bait.

Suffice it to say, I find myself drifting further and further away from this game, which is sad because I really, really enjoyed this game when it was still fresh to me, and at times when I thought more was coming. But with each disappointment, my patience and my respect for ANet has diminished. How long must players wait?

Better communication and feedback with its player-base would make a hell of a difference, but it’s been nothing but darkness for the past two years.

(edited by Altius.2865)

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

I hope they take this discussion, and your points, to heart. I hope they don’t delete this thread. I hope the sun will rise tomorrow. Only one of these things is a surety.

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

I take it you saw the most recent interview? I too am incredibly disappointed and got nothing of even the slightest hint at features being implemented for future content in GW2. I seemed to view it as nothing new incoming at all.

Posted by: Grebcol.5984

Grebcol.5984

“Martin Kerstein and Kate Welch " Woooott they are gone?

leman.7682

As of today’s news.

Leman

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

Personally, I do not agree with about half of what the OP is complaining about. Some of the things your whining about are highly anticipated changes for some aspects of the game. This was evident the second you cry about the fact that you can no longer fail an event and intentionally exploit it. Which speaks volumes about the character of the complainer in this case.

As well, you put in a lot of effort to ignore a great many facts and implementations simply because they work against your agenda. As well you make an effort to present your propaganda as if some of the actual issues are unique to this game, when we all know those are all genre specific issues that no one else has solved either.

Posted by: eXeth.9134

eXeth.9134

I agree completely with you leman. This game has so much potential, but it’s wasted by bad management.

I will have no choice but to quit the game soon, because I’m starting to get really bored by this repetitive and uneventful gameplay. My patience is wearing thin. The only thing that has been keeping me here for so long is the great community, and anet has nothing to do with that aspect.

Posted by: Alugjen Darlas.5329

Alugjen Darlas.5329

What im going to Say with this comment it might sound old to some ppl , borring to thers ,good to some peep’s and kitten bad to some other’s but hey im a custumer so here are my 2 cent’s about this game after 2 year’s .

First thing first lot of ppl seems to forget that this game is an ’’MMO’’ and not some cheap korean F2P ( in this case B2p and then after f2p ) point is , as someone who bought this game and keep’s buying gem’s evry now and then ( when thing’s are worth buying and not this Utter crap costume system ) to support this game i Expect or ’’Demand’’ something worth my Money.I will repeat myself this game is an MMO after 2 year’s what we have is Borring,done at least 500+ time’s ,same thing’s evry day,evry night,evry 14 day’s .What we keep getting is not enuffff for me , and im sorry if im asking for ‘’To much’’ but hey one can dream. After 2 year’s can we finally have a Expansion pack, feature pack ( a real one not 5 colored dorito tagg’s and some other stuff that will be forggggoootten to oblivion after 14 day’s.) call it like you want, and if by now you didn’t understand im a veteran player from Gw1 and boy that game was worth all my money from the 1st day until the last 2 year’s ago.

[SC]Nine Inch Nose -205 Precurssors .

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

All of these feature patches should be in the game long time ago!

R.I.P Kumu <3

Posted by: Renn.8241

Renn.8241

2 weeks isn’t enough time for them to put out good content, specially with with what 298 staff?
Increase LS gaps to monthly and hire more people! Having departments to work on all parts of the game will aid in keeping everyone happy (as possible)

~Renn~ Jade Quarry – Norn, – Ranger.

Posted by: Spirigo.2897

Spirigo.2897

Personally, I do not agree with about half of what the OP is complaining about. Some of the things your whining about are highly anticipated changes for some aspects of the game. This was evident the second you cry about the fact that you can no longer fail an event and intentionally exploit it. Which speaks volumes about the character of the complainer in this case.

As well, you put in a lot of effort to ignore a great many facts and implementations simply because they work against your agenda. As well you make an effort to present your propaganda as if some of the actual issues are unique to this game, when we all know those are all genre specific issues that no one else has solved either.

Pretty much completely agree with this.

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

This post is beautiful.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Something ticked, the head and founder of the company decided to grace the community with a letter that tried to explain the situation. Instead of showing willingness to improve, the rhetoric suggested a total negligence and denial, duplicating the well-known interview political talk. Something inside the company was shaken though and the community has seen a sudden wake-up of few developers. One of them for example, decided to hop into a 4-month-old topic with concerns about a recently implemented system and acknowledge the community he would look into it again. How splendid… In another topic, someone else came back and reassured the community, that he would talk to them again. Would things finally come to normal…?

The dev activities look more like “A letter from the boss, we have to participate more in the forums.”. But, oh well, time will show. If the dev activity drops back to what we’re used to, they have been told to talk to us, rather than being here on voluntary basis.

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)

HHR LostProphet.4801

This was evident the second you cry about the fact that you can no longer fail an event and intentionally exploit it. Which speaks volumes about the character of the complainer in this case.

Which speaks volumes about the content that is being delivered by ANet if buggy events are the only thing that pleases the players.

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

snip…
Now where exactly is the problem?
Everywhere. Literally all you’re doing is wrong
snip…

I have to say that you sounded rational at the beginning but quickly went off the deep end. I’m inclined to agree with you on several of your descriptions of the state of the game but beyond that your analysis of the problems as you see it is complete hyperbole and lacking in constructive criticism. Instead of trying to acknowledge what is a highly complex issue in satisfying an audience with a wide variety of playstyles, interests and voices, you fall back on the notion that we as players are uniform in our desires. Players can’t agree on whether or not they want a hard trinity, soft trinity, no trinity, mounts, no mounts, TP power trading, greater dev communication, or if they do communicate what exactly they should be saying, harder dungeons, easier dungeons, more zerking, less zerking, and the list goes on! And yet, somehow in this scenario, you say that none of us are getting what we wanted or expected. Rethink that. At least, if you want to talk about who is losing out here, don’t use hyperbole. It doesn’t serve a point but to incite vague feelings of disappointment.

Some of your criticisms can be taken seriously but not when you try to illustrate what are probably real issues as completely black and white. And it’s not just you, there are more than a few forum-goers who seem to be incapable of understanding a 3-dimensional issue, such as communicating long term and short term plans with your audience, or understanding how to approach it with a critical eye. I’m glad the devs have started to communicate more and I agree with you that something seems to have changed recently. If you care at all to stick around, try contributing to the conversation in a more constructive manner instead of distracting from it.

(edited by nightwulf.1986)

HHR LostProphet.4801

Everywhere. Literally all you’re doing is wrong.

I would not go that far. In fact, I’m disagreeing with you.
The problem isn’t that “everything is wrong”. That description does neither please the complainers, nor the devs.
The real problem is that the flaws are multi-dimensional and sometimes so big, that they affect nearly every part of the game. Many of these flaws are so huge that they probably can’t be removed until ANet is willing to rework huge portions of the game to please players who have played this game a long time now, the non-casual gamers.
And I honetly don’t think this will ever happen.

Some initial information:

I’ve played this game now since release and dumbed more than 4k hours in this game. Thus, I wouldn’t describe me as casual player. All “flaws” I am going to list and analyze will only become obvious after multiple, multiple hours in-game time. If you’re new to GuildWars 2 or if you don’t want to stay “forever”, you can happily ignore my concerns, since you wont be limited by the “flaws” I’ll list.

But let’s look for the flaws:

GW2 Manifesto
No Grinding! That was one of the promises GW2 tries to achieve. But how?

1. Currencies as reward instead of items. There is no content dedicated to farm special items. This bares the risk of dominating currencies. We have the problem with gold. Except of fractal skins, everything can be bought with gold or requires no preparations at all.
  2. RNG Drops. You can farm everywhere and nowhere because the RNG assures that you always have the same small chance of getting what you want.
  3. Diminishing Returns. This actively prevents anyone from farming anything effectively.

Casual Friendly! What it did to the game:

1. Easy content. Anything can be completed with every profession or gear. It may take longer but it’s not impossible. This leads to the fact that there is no challenge in the game and many people get bored quickly. It also limits build diversity.
    Since there is no defensive required, everyone is compelled to maximise their DPS and there can be only one build for each class offering the most damage.
  2. Simple AI. Stacking in corners. Nuff said. If I’m recalling correctly, mobs used to walk out of AoEs as example. But this got scrapped before the game shipped.

Balanced Economy! This is how it backfires:

1. Limiting item/currency creation. This ensures that the economy doesn’t get flooded with gold. But because of this, events grant almost no reward and dungeons also grant low reward. Entire PvE maps become redundant because there is nothing to do that grants acceptable reward.
  2. Everything can be traded. This also leads to the dominating role of gold. Everything can be bought with gold.
  3. Gems can be converted to gold. This, in combination with the dominating role of gold as currency and in combination with the low reward from in-game activities, leads to the fact that it would be more rewarding goldwise, to work in RL to buy gems, rather than to farm in-game to get what one wants.

ArenaNet as company
There are also issues related with the way ANet works as a company:

1. Small Staff. We can see this being an issue on the basis of patchcyles and the age of the content. New content gets only developed in small bits, no huge updates since release, bugs reamin unfixed for several months.
  2. Balance. This would also apply to the small staff, but it deserves a separate bullet point. The amount of skills got reduced drastically compared to GW1, yet the balance is still a mess. Countless traits and utilities remain completely unused, there are only one or two “competitive” builds for each class and broken builds like HamBow Warrior, Decap Engie or PU Mesmer remain untouched for far too long.
  3. Wrong Ambitions. ANet tries to go it’s own way, tries to push PvP into ESports, tries to satisfy the PvE community with temporary content aka. Living Story, rather than working on popular modes like GvG or delivering permanent content for PvE. Most people would even pay for more PvE content. Not to say ANet shouldn’t be allowed to aim for those goals, but they should address the issues the game has, like old, stale content by delivering new content, rather than to stave off the community with half-baked permanent content.
  4. Missing Professionalism. I don’t want to upset anybody, I just suggest to read following thread: Biconics can’t carry GW Franchise.
  5. Unloved aspects of the game. See Dungeons. They almost never got (and probably will get) any love.

These are the reasons I think this game suffers. If you want to correct me or add something, feel free to do so.
One can see easily that fixing those flaws requires heavy investments, so I’m not very optimistic to see any substancial changes.

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

One positive thing I seen Anet do is trying to build up depth win their game world. In the traditional mmorpg, zones are like stepping stones. Like a school system. Each one leading to a higher tier, when the character reaches end game they rarely go back to visit “beginner zones”.

I feel Anet did a good job giving each zones a feel a of importance and a reason to come back and visit them.

Other than that, I believe Anet is failing on many accounts:

• Lack of skill/build diversity
  • No new meaningful content
  • Class balance issues
  • two times per year balance pass
  • Rewards offered in many game modes don’t feel too rewarding

Those are just somethings I can name off the top of my head.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

It makes me sad, comparing the first two years of Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2.

Guild Wars 1 had:

-3 main games released,
-New pvp modes,
-Dozens of new armor and weapon skins available in game,
-Hundred of new skills,
-Three campaigns with their own stories, and their own missions,
-Underworld, Fissure of Woe, Tombs of the Primeval Kings, Sorrow Furnace, The Deep, Urgoz’s, Domain of Anguish as elite dungeons / zones, always available.,
-New guild halls,
-More patches and the devs actually talking with their playerbase

For Guild Wars 2 we got:

-Main game released, two living stories
-No new pvp modes after two years
-One universal healing skill, one healing skill for each professions, 6 new traits, no new weapon types
-Some backpieces available in game, one new armor set available in game, some new armor skins hidden behind RNG
-Most weapons and armors skins are in the cash shop
-Wurms and new Tequila
-No guild halls
-A lot less patches, devs hiding in fear from their loyal customers.
-More and more devs leaving the ship / getting pushed out of the ship

I think i know what happened between 2007 and now. Anet was replaced with shape shifting, mind reading lizard people.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Assuming you were in charge for this game, and you mentioned these problems, what would you do to address these? While these complaints of yours have justification and you are entitled to your opinion, it would have even more meaning if you write down exactly how these issues can be improved upon. Because if you are just going to mention problems without a probable solution, it would limit what the devs can work with.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

Assuming you were in charge for this game, and you mentioned these problems, what would you do to address these? While these complaints of yours have justification and you are entitled to your opinion, it would have even more meaning if you write down exactly how these issues can be improved upon. Because if you are just going to mention problems without a probable solution, it would limit what the devs can work with.

The solution is to create more content.

New maps.
New dungeons.
New class.
New weapons.
New skills.
New playable race.

Maybe some new DE’s.

Flytrap.8075

It makes me sad, comparing the first two years of Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2.

Guild Wars 1 had:

-3 main games released,
-New pvp modes,
-Dozens of new armor and weapon skins available in game,
-Hundred of new skills,
-Three campaigns with their own stories, and their own missions,
-Underworld, Fissure of Woe, Tombs of the Primeval Kings, Sorrow Furnace, The Deep, Urgoz’s, Domain of Anguish as elite dungeons / zones, always available.,
-New guild halls,
-More patches and the devs actually talking with their playerbase

For Guild Wars 2 we got:

-Main game released, two living stories
-No new pvp modes after two years
-One universal healing skill, one healing skill for each professions, 6 new traits, no new weapon types
-Some backpieces available in game, one new armor set available in game, some new armor skins hidden behind RNG
-Most weapons and armors skins are in the cash shop
-Wurms and new Tequila
-No guild halls
-A lot less patches, devs hiding in fear from their loyal customers.
-More and more devs leaving the ship / getting pushed out of the ship

I think i know what happened between 2007 and now. Anet was replaced with shape shifting, mind reading lizard people.

It’s actually kind of depressing to go back and watch their GW2 Manifesto video and then compare that to the game that we currently have.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

As of today’s news.

Where did you see this?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Flytrap.8075

As of today’s news.

Where did you see this?

Reddit/Twitter.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

OP has some valid points, but mostly QQ disguised with wall of vague text.

First off, Blix was crap, stupid exploit, should not be complaining about that being fixed.

As far as PvE goes, ANet has added Fractals, ascended crafting, 2 new zones, and surely other things I’m not thinking of right now. It’s not a lot compared to where GW1 was 2 years after release, but don’t say there’s nothing.

I’ve definitely been guilty of using “significant” and “meaningful” to describe things I want to see in GW2, as opposed to things that have been added, but do take care that you aren’t defining “significant” and “meaningful” as “things I like.” Because I’m seeing a lot of that in this thread, and it’s pretty pathetic.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Flytrap.8075

The solution is to create more content.

New maps.
New dungeons.
New class.
New weapons.
New skills.
New playable race.

Maybe some new DE’s.

This.

To put it simply, we just want some shiny new toys to play with.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

OP’s TLDR – “You’re doing it wrong” “You don’t know what you’re doing” “I know better how to run your game”

Gotcha.

Yes, there are things wrong with the game. That’s a given. We all have things we’d like to see fixed/added/revamped. Pick your poison.

Telling the devs they are incompetent in so many words…. well, keep enforcing their decisions to not talk to us about anything worthwhile. Some people are doing a really good job of it today.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Flytrap.8075

OP’s TLDR – “You’re doing it wrong” “You don’t know what you’re doing” “I know better how to run your game”

Gotcha.

Yes, there are things wrong with the game. That’s a given. We all have things we’d like to see fixed/added/revamped. Pick your poison.

Telling the devs they are incompetent in so many words…. well, keep enforcing their decisions to not talk to us about anything worthwhile. Some people are doing a really good job of it today.

They’ve had two years of feedback and still haven’t delivered on key features that the community has asked for. I mean, speaking for the WvW community, we only just got account-bound WvW Exp in April and we’re finally getting account-bound Commander Tags (with the caveat of a price increase).

At some point, their inability to listen to the community and implement features and content that the community has repeatedly asked for can only be described as gross incompetence. I’ve seen threads where Mark drops in and says “the best thing you can do for us at this time is tell us what you want and keep communicating with the devs”, but in all honesty, what’s the point when you have a backlog of comments that is two years long and you simply don’t listen?

I understand that some people are 100% pleased with the direction that this game has gone and is currently going towards, but you need to understand that there’s also a group of people out there who feel severely disenfranchised and, to put it simply, mislead.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: Elsdragon.5109

Elsdragon.5109

Gotcha.

They’ve had two years of feedback and still haven’t delivered on key features that the community has asked for. I mean, speaking for the WvW community, we only just got account-bound WvW Exp in April and we’re finally getting account-bound Commander Tags (with the caveat of a price increase).

At some point, their inability to listen to the community and implement features and content that the community has repeatedly asked for can only be described as gross incompetence. I’ve seen threads where Mark drops in and says “the best thing you can do for us at this time is tell us what you want and keep communicating with the devs”, but in all honesty, what’s the point when you have a backlog of comments that is two years long and you simply don’t listen?

I understand that some people are 100% pleased with the direction that this game has gone and is currently going towards, but you need to understand that there’s also a group of people out there who feel severely disenfranchised and, to put it simply, mislead.

Feeling what you’re feeling doesn’t make the devs incompetent, it may mean that you’re expecting too much from them. They are just humans, and I am sure they are doing everything they can to make this game better.

Giving comments and suggestions and feedback is good, but that doesn’t mean that they’ll be magically made into reality. I can only imagine the difficulty of having to process all the comments/suggestions/feedback, then planning what to do, how to do it, developing them, testing them, and then reworking them.

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

No, they aren’t doing “everything they can” to make the game better.

They aren’t releasing tons of new content – like new zones, dungeons and fractals.

The game is stagnant.

The only thing that can fix this is a lot of new content.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

First part of the post: agreed, nodded, pressed +1.

Second part of the post: …and okay, here goes the usual “I speak for everyone” bias. Sigh.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

“I think you are mistaken. We have released content and features in the last two years on a fairly regular basis. Just because the content and/or features were things that you personally did not particularly care for doesn’t mean we didn’t release anything.
Please don’t trivialize the efforts of our design and development staff down to “nothing” because you didn’t like it. It’s fine to comment that you didn’t care for what was released, but don’t pretend like we’ve done nothing here for the past two years.” – Mark Katzbach

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Elsdragon.5109

No, they aren’t doing “everything they can” to make the game better.

They aren’t releasing tons of new content – like new zones, dungeons and fractals.

The game is stagnant.

The only thing that can fix this is a lot of new content.

Again, I must applaud your “I know what’s best for this game” attitude. I don’t know when you started playing, but I can safely say that the game as it stands now is very much different from what it was when it was first released.

Aside from lots of added features, there are notable added contents that you don’t seem to want to acknowledge: Living Story, Aetherpath, Fractals, more Fractals, Edge of the Mists, Guild Missions, Living Story Season 2.

The game is far from stagnant. If all you can do is whine about false and misinterpreted things, then please do us all a favor and stop.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Gotcha.

snort

“They don’t listen”

Bullkitten

Account bound wxp
Skin wardrobe
Trait hunting
Mini pets no long auto deposit
Certain world bosses revamped to be more than stand and spam fests
Added Molten and Aether to fractals
Account bound commander tags
Account bound legendaries
Account bound ascended (not perfect, but we did ask)
Replayable LS story
Increasingly better tutorial features for new players
Account bound dye
TP preview option

I could keep going if you’d like, but you’ll ignore it just like you’ve ignored it thus far.

If you don’t like the game, leave. It’s really that simple.

Of course now you’re going to label me a white knight, but you’d be dead wrong to do so and reading my post history will show that.

You don’t have to like all their decisions. It’s ok to not agree, and you’re well within your right to voice your option, so long as you’re not a kittening kitten about it.

You’re making it out like the devs have had their thumbs up their kitten for two years, and just looking though the patch notes proves otherwise. Stop trying to trivialize the work they have done.

Honestly, you and those like you need to be stuck in a customer service job, and then have someone come by every day and tell you that you’re a worthless piece of garbage and that your completely incompetent at what you do. See how you like having such sentiment shoved down your throat every day for two years. It’d only fair, because that’s what you’re doing to the devs.

Flytrap.8075

Account bound wxp
Skin wardrobe
Trait hunting
Replayable LS story
Account bound dye
TP preview option

I could keep going if you’d like, but you’ll ignore it just like you’ve ignored it thus far.

It’s funny that the majority of your list includes features that only just became available in April of this year and that essentially all of them aside from account-bound legendaries and ascended items were met with mixed results.

I’d love to hear what criticisms you have in regards to this game because so far, it looks like ANet could release just about anything and it would get your dopamine pathway going.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Elsdragon.5109

Account bound wxp
Skin wardrobe
Trait hunting
Replayable LS story
Account bound dye
TP preview option

It’s funny that the majority of your list includes features that only just became available in April of this year and that essentially all of them aside from account-bound legendaries and ascended items were met with mixed results.

I’d love to hear what criticisms you have in regards to this game because so far, it looks like ANet could release just about anything and it would get your dopamine pathway going.

Right back at you. They could probably release a new dungeon, several new Fractals, another new area and you’d complain why there weren’t 2 dungeons, more Fractals, and why the one area they released wasn’t sculpted from an image from your mind.

Flytrap.8075

Right back at you. They could probably release a new dungeon, several new Fractals, another new area and you’d complain why there weren’t 2 dungeons, more Fractals, and why the one area they released wasn’t sculpted from an image from your mind.

No, I’d probably complain about how sPvP and WvW have taken a backseat to the Living Story and Gem Store updates yet again.

But honestly, that’s nothing new at this point.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Account bound wxp
Skin wardrobe
Trait hunting
Replayable LS story
Account bound dye
TP preview option

I was simply starting with came to mind the quickest (which tends to make them the more recent ones). The point still stands that they do listen.

Hm criticisms…. lets see, how about that bosses should have interesting mechanics, rather than just plain defiance on them. That’s not fun, or interesting.

How about the big kitten I put up over ascended gear in general. We don’t need more stat climbing. GW1 proved that you don’t need a treadmill to keep people playing.

I think all mini should be tradable. Not just the basic collections.

Pvp needs more modes, and I’m not a freaking pvper, but I still think it needs more options. Annihilation would be a good spot to start.

GvG needs to be its own mode. We need to have Guild Halls back in the game, and maybe even some fun ways to build them.

JPs and World Completion have no place in WvW

WvW needs more maps. Needs to be more rewarding for defenders and scouts.

We need more in game (not gemstore) armors to chase. Things on par with FoW at the beginning of GW1’s lifespan or Vabbian.

Weaponsets need more skill options. We could use some more utility skills as well.

And those are just the first several that pop to mind that I have voiced my discontent with. I’m one of the people that suggested adjusting town clothes to work similar to GW1 costumes. I’m one of the many that partitioned for account bound dye. And I continue to petition for Cantha and Elona.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Account bound wxp
Skin wardrobe
Trait hunting
Replayable LS story
Account bound dye
TP preview option

The majority of that list is new, because people mostly remember new stuff. They don’t really talk about the account wallet anymore. Or edge of the mists. Or the way they added the marketplace preview, or the way you didn’t have to go back to your bank anymore to craft. Or Guild missions. Or the way Kessex hills completely changed. Or new dyanmic events, the most visible of which was the skritt burglar.

In fact, none of you people are talking about the new creatures and new mechanics in the new zone Drytop.

I wonder why.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Account bound wxp
Skin wardrobe
Trait hunting
Replayable LS story
Account bound dye
TP preview option

The majority of that list is new, because people mostly remember new stuff. They don’t really talk about the account wallet anymore. Or edge of the mists. Or the way they added the marketplace preview, or the way you didn’t have to go back to your bank anymore to craft. Or Guild missions. Or the way Kessex hills completely changed. Or new dyanmic events, the most visible of which was the skritt burglar.

In fact, none of you people are talking about the new creatures and new mechanics in the new zone Drytop.

I wonder why.

To be fair, I did ask if he wanted me to keep going…

And dears gods I hate those kitten beetles!

Posted by: Fishcrunch.4856

Fishcrunch.4856

Gotcha.

snort

“They don’t listen”

Bullkitten

Account bound wxp
Skin wardrobe
Trait hunting
Replayable LS story
Account bound dye
TP preview option

Of course now you’re going to label me a white knight, but you’d be dead wrong to do so and reading my post history will show that.

You don’t have to like all their decisions. It’s ok to not agree, and you’re well within your right to voice your option, so long as you’re not a kittening kitten about it.

You’re making it out like the devs have had their thumbs up their kitten for two years, and just looking though the patch notes proves otherwise. Stop trying to trivialize the work they have done.

Honestly, you and those like you need to be stuck in a customer service job, and then have someone come by every day and tell you that you’re a worthless piece of garbage and that your completely incompetent at what you do. See how you like having such sentiment shoved down your throat every day for two years. It’d only fair, because that’s what you’re doing to the devs.

Man, it took 2 years for THAT? Maybe in 5 years we’ll see another Elder Dragon then, or another playable race.

Vayne.8563

Gotcha.

snort

“They don’t listen”

Bullkitten

Account bound wxp
Skin wardrobe
Trait hunting
Replayable LS story
Account bound dye
TP preview option

Man, it took 2 years for THAT? Maybe in 5 years we’ll see another Elder Dragon then, or another playable race.

That was a list of features, not content. The content is a much longer list.

Fishcrunch.4856

Well I hope to get a list of content added since the release of the game, because I will be comparing it to Factions and Nightfall for GW1.

Vayne.8563

Well I hope to get a list of content added since the release of the game, because I will be comparing it to Factions and Nightfall for GW1.

I have a better idea. Why not compare the game right now, as it is, to where Guild Wars 1 at this point in time. Guild Wars 2 actually has more content…even after Nightfall was released.

Fishcrunch.4856

I have a better idea. Why not compare the game right now, as it is, to where Guild Wars 1 at this point in time. Guild Wars 2 actually has more content…even after Nightfall was released.

Yeah, and it took them seven years to make the game that way. I understand it has more content, but what has it added since then? GW1 added two new games, which included new stories, maps, lore, as well as two new professions in each game. I want a list of things comparable to that, which is gonna be hard, don’t you think? So far I got Dry Top and fractals, along with some boss revamps.

Vayne.8563

Yeah, and it took them seven years to make the game that way. I understand it has more content, but what has it added since then? GW1 added two new games, which included new stories, maps, lore, as well as two new professions in each game. I want a list of things comparable to that, which is gonna be hard, don’t you think? So far I got Dry Top and fractals, along with some boss revamps.

There’s a lot makes a direct comparison misleading though.

First, Guild Wars 1 was not an MMO and that changes the landscape quite a lot. A bigger game launching too early means more work to get it back to where it should have been at launch. Unfortunately this is the rule for MMOs today, not the exception. Everything launches too early, because companies need to recap some of the money they’ve invested. Remember, Guild Wars 1 was a much cheaper game to make.

When you’re making content in instances, balancing stuff is much easier. It doesn’t have to work with 1 person or 20. It’s a whole different ball game. They didn’t have to get rid of culling in Guild Wars 1, or even really streamline the game that much to make it more playable for people, because the total number of people in the explorable area was 12 and that was only in two elite instances…and the game still rubberbanded at times, making it very hard to play.

GW 1 was also pathed and there was no jumping. Anet could more easily control exactly where you were.

No these games are completely different. Adding stuff was a lot easier in Guild Wars 1. For example, Anet said you need at least three times the number of dynamic events than you’d need quests to make the game playable.

It’s a different game with different needs, made at a different time. And there’s still more content.

Fishcrunch.4856

There’s a lot makes a direct comparison misleading though.

First, Guild Wars 1 was not an MMO and that changes the landscape quite a lot. A bigger game launching too early means more work to get it back to where it should have been at launch. Unfortunately this is the rule for MMOs today, not the exception. Everything launches too early, because companies need to recap some of the money they’ve invested. Remember, Guild Wars 1 was a much cheaper game to make.

When you’re making content in instances, balancing stuff is much easier. It doesn’t have to work with 1 person or 20. It’s a whole different ball game. They didn’t have to get rid of culling in Guild Wars 1, or even really streamline the game that much to make it more playable for people, because the total number of people in the explorable area was 12 and that was only in two elite instances…and the game still rubberbanded at times, making it very hard to play.

GW 1 was also pathed and there was no jumping. Anet could more easily control exactly where you were.

No these games are completely different. Adding stuff was a lot easier in Guild Wars 1. For example, Anet said you need at least three times the number of dynamic events than you’d need quests to make the game playable.

It’s a different game with different needs, made at a different time. And there’s still more content.

I know what you’re trying to convey, so i’ll rest a bit in this hole I dug. I just want to say that even though gw1 was a rather static game, I feel that the large, sudden introductions of content were more compelling than the “dynamic” events in gw2, which is a bit of a misnomer, IMO.