We got cheated out of potential AP again

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

This year the 4 repeatable achievements for Wintersday activities are not giving any AP. In the previous years you could earn a total of 65 AP by doing these repeatable achievements. So basically we got cheated out of potential AP again. I guess Anet never wants anyone to reach 39000 AP for the backpieces.

EDIT: It is actually 105 AP less than previous year, the 40 AP meta achievement was removed also.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

(edited by Malediktus.3740)

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

kitten dude, you’re everywhere today!

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The word cheated is so rarely used accurately.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

No AP for you this wintersday!

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Malediktus.3740

Well, it’s the same for everyone. But I figured people will be unhappy about this considering people complain about the daily AP cap almost every day.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

This year the 4 repeatable achievements for Wintersday activities are not giving any AP. In the previous years you could earn a total of 65 AP by doing these repeatable achievements. So basically we got cheated out of potential AP again. I guess Anet never wants anyone to reach 39000 AP for the backpieces.

Merry Wintersday to you, too.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Malediktus.3740

Well, it’s the same for everyone. But I figured people will be unhappy about this considering people complain about the daily AP cap almost every day.

If by people you mean yourself and your other 30 accounts, I would agree.

I never complained about daily AP cap, in fact I advocated for removing daily AP completly.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Poll-to-remove-Daily-Achivement-Cap
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Please-Remove-Daily-Monthly-AP-Cap/
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Daily-Completionist-No-points
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Daily-10AP-s-not-counting
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Not-getting-my-10-daily-APs
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Daily-Achievement-Bugged-1
just a handful of topics I found within 3 minutes of looking

You expect me to be happy if every year there is less to do in the recurring festivities?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I never complained about daily AP cap, in fact I advocated for removing daily AP completly.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Poll-to-remove-Daily-Achivement-Cap
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Please-Remove-Daily-Monthly-AP-Cap/
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Daily-Completionist-No-points
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Daily-10AP-s-not-counting
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Not-getting-my-10-daily-APs
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Daily-Achievement-Bugged-1
just a handful of topics I found within 3 minutes of looking

You expect me to be happy if every year there is less to do in the recurring festivities?

To be fair, your OP doesnt seem to say anything about less to do. Just about not getting AP for doing things and Anet seeking to prevent you from reaching a particular AP milestone.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I think this is good. This way the high AP items will be harder to reach, fewer will get them and they will therefore be more elite and prestigious. You should be glad for this OP.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: MetalGirl.2370

MetalGirl.2370

I love and hunt AP, but im glad i dont have to suffer another 150 or so Mayhem games … other 3 activities are alright but Mayhem is hell.

Mesmerizing

Malediktus.3740

I think this is good. This way the high AP items will be harder to reach, fewer will get them and they will therefore be more elite and prestigious. You should be glad for this OP.

Actually these usually increased the gap between players, because only few people had the endurance to play 150 snowball games (compared to lets say doing all the achievements of a new living story episode). I know a few people above 30k AP who skipped these in the past years because it was too tedious for them.
But I guess Anet should not be suprised if people play these minigames less now, since one incentive was removed.

(edited by Malediktus.3740)

Just a flesh wound.3589

Actually these usually increased the gap between players, because only few people had the endurance to play 150 snowball games. I know a few people above 30k AP who skipped these in the past years because it was too tedious for them.
But I guess Anet should not be suprised if people play these minigames less now, since one incentive was removed.

Yes. It’s good that they play the mini games for fun and not for achieves. It’s better this way. Keeps the high AP point items out of the hands of all but a very few and keeps them elite and prestigious and let’s people play for fun and not be pressured to play to get achieves. It’s a win win.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

For me personally, just another reason not to bother with recycled content.

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

6 achievements are already auto completed from last year too, so unless it’s a bug, can’t earn those again this year either.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Are you surprised Anet don’t like the AP hunters in this game, look at some of the AP linked to some of the achievements 3 AP for weeks worth of work, a cap on AP, if they could get away with adding no AP to stuff they will do it, there is no meta achievement for the winters day either this year.

Long of it is, the less AP they can give you, the less they have to do with the AP chests, expect to see more and more content with little to no AP linked to it.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

The achievements that returned already completed are the ones giving the 10,000 karma items for the Winter’s Presence collection. We’re not just shorted on AP, but on karma as well.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Not giving AP for the activities = less people doing them. Hopefully that was the goal.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

And all 30 are some of your best customers!

Checked in on GW2 for the holidays, nothing new to see here going back to other games til the next event. Have fun guys and happy holidays!

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Malediktus.3740

Are you surprised Anet don’t like the AP hunters in this game, look at some of the AP linked to some of the achievements 3 AP for weeks worth of work, a cap on AP, if they could get away with adding no AP to stuff they will do it, there is no meta achievement for the winters day either this year.

Long of it is, the less AP they can give you, the less they have to do with the AP chests, expect to see more and more content with little to no AP linked to it.

Yes, I am not suprised after they already removed the Halloween repeatable achievement for 50 AP and the whole HoT expansion only giving 1700ish AP.

And you are right, the meta achievement is missing, too. It was worth 40 AP. So we actually get 105 AP less than previous years.

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

super annoyed that theres no meta, not because of the AP lack, but because theres nothing cool or special to work towards. just more endless kittening presents. whoopdeedoo

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I thought the ‘Meta’ is the one that gives 100 AP. It just seems easier to do. At least the first 5, so the first 50 points. Only takes 5 days of Dailies.

It seems to give the same reward as last year. Or I expect the choices will be the same; who knows? Maybe more choices.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I thought the ‘Meta’ is the one that gives 100 AP. It just seems easier to do. At least the first 5, so the first 50 points. Only takes 5 days of Dailies.

It seems to give the same reward as last year. Or I expect the choices will be the same; who knows? Maybe more choices.

Correct. The meta just works differently this year – it is only linked to dailies, but you can get up to 100 points this time

Malediktus.3740

The repeatable achievement for doing the dailies seems to be similar to the one from SAB where you can earn Kaiser Snake skins. So I would not count it as a meta achievement? Anyway you need to do the wintersday daily 50 times, so it likely will take 3 years to get the maximum AP.

There is a new title for this year, but it got moved from the meta to a random regular achievement.

Randulf.7614

The repeatable achievement for doing the dailies seems to be similar to the one from SAB where you can earn Kaiser Snake skins. So I would not count it as a meta achievement? Anyway you need to do the wintersday daily 50 times, so it likely will take 3 years to get the maximum AP.

There is a new title for this year, but it got moved from the meta to a random regular achievement.

It’s certainly not a meta as in the traditional sense no, but it does appear to replace it. I suspect they have done it this way due to the complaints of having to do the JP or having to choir or relying on a successful snowball mayhem pvp group etc from previous years. For better or worse, this way is more accessible to more people.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Ugh, I hated the snowball fights.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I’m just happy to be able to do endless Winter Wonderland and not feel like I’m missing out on anything. I can put all my effort into spirits so that I can get the last part of the snowflake shoulders. I’ll probably still do most of the rest of the stuff for the rewards, but I don’t need to now.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

Correct. The meta just works differently this year – it is only linked to dailies, but you can get up to 100 points this time

id rather have a cool item than 100 ap

Randulf.7614

You do.

Last year the meta was either an old toy mini or 100 gifts. This year are brand new skins.

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

no we all hate the daily AP cap……

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

6 achievements are already auto completed from last year too, so unless it’s a bug, can’t earn those again this year either.

The achievements that returned already completed are the ones giving the 10,000 karma items for the Winter’s Presence collection. We’re not just shorted on AP, but on karma as well.

The patch notes says: Achievements for the Winter’s Presence collection have returned with saved progress from Wintersday 2015.

You’re not shortened on karma. The thing is, you had to consume 10,000 holiday drinks/consumable tonics to complete the achievement to get the masterful toast item that gives you a chunk of karma when consumed.

They couldn’t reset the achievement, otherwise players who had it partially completed and players who hadn’t finished their winter’s presence shoulder skin (but did complete this achievement), would have to start all over with the 10k drinks. And if they reset all achievements so players could get the AP again, a lot of people who had their winter’s presence shoulder skin unfinished would be forced to start the whole thing over. It would make people rather unhappy to lose that progress, especially since I did the winter wonderland JP over 1,000 times to farm gifts for those drinks. (I’d hate to have to go through all that again.)

Besides……….the masterful toast item from the Wintersday achievement gives only 10k karma. I have the tier 1 karma buff in Ember Bay and can get 10k karma in a matter of minutes from just killing random monsters in the map. For the masterful toast item, you’d need to do the jumping puzzle or other holiday activity until your eyes bleed and your hands fall off, or pay tons of gold to get the drinks from the trading post. It really isn’t worth it to have to do this achievement all over again.

The bottom line is: nobody is cheated out of achievement points. It would have no impact on players who didn’t get the achievements last year, and it would royally screw over players who did, especially those still working on the shoulder skin achievement that they started on last year.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Spook.5847

Spook.5847

That’s kind of a weird way of thinking about it. Normal people couldn’t care less what other people in a game do or have, since it has no affect on their own stuff. I think you need to remember that this is a GAME; there are no “accomplishments” or “status” associated with anything in any game, because it is all pretend/imaginary.

Spook.5847

You do.

Last year the meta was either an old toy mini or 100 gifts. This year are brand new skins.

What meta this year? I am not even seeing one :/

Randulf.7614

You do.

It’s explained a bit further up in this thread, but I’ll recap.

It’s not a conventional meta, more like a meta for the dailies to circumvent having to activities some players find abhorrent. There is an achievement called A Season of Merriment. You complete 3 Wintersday dailies each day and after 5 days, you get 10 ap up to a possible 100ap. You also can get one of the weapons in the below link as a reward.

http://dulfy.net/2015/12/16/gw2-2015-a-merry-wintersday-achievements-guide/#Daily_Achievement_A_Season_of_Merriment

Charrbeque.8729

That’s kind of a weird way of thinking about it. Normal people couldn’t care less what other people in a game do or have, since it has no affect on their own stuff. I think you need to remember that this is a GAME; there are no “accomplishments” or “status” associated with anything in any game, because it is all pretend/imaginary.

True. Most players don’t care if someone has a nice item or a lot of achievement points.

But some of those who believe in exclusivity and prestige are down right egotistical jerks. And sometimes, they go out of their way to let you know it.

I had an experience about 3 weeks ago.

What happened: I was in the Lava Lounge in Ember Bay and another player had used his endless ignited wraith tonic and was standing there playing with his costume brawl skills. So I thought “hey cool” and used my endless ignited wraith tonic and moved over to use the merchant. I didn’t speak to anyone or even use the costume brawl skills. Immediately the player whispered me asking if I own all legendaries in the game. I told him I don’t own any and he accused me of trying to start an kitten contest with him.

I censored his name in the screenshot. The screen shows pretty much the entire conversation because I quickly put him on my ignore list because I knew exactly where the conversation was headed. I’ll be kitten ed if I’m gonna stand there and be cyberbullied in an online game just because I used a goofy tonic I worked hard to get. And quite honestly, I wish it was easier to get so more players could enjoy such an item. I considered reporting for verbal abuse, but figured there was no need since I blocked him before things got out of hand.

I can’t stand people with this kind of “only I can have it” attitude. To be fair though, not all players who value exclusivity and prestige are egotistical jerks. Only a small minority of them are.

Attachments:

Spook.5847

You do.

It’s explained a bit further up in this thread, but I’ll recap.

It’s not a conventional meta, more like a meta for the dailies to circumvent having to activities some players find abhorrent. There is an achievement called A Season of Merriment. You complete 3 Wintersday dailies each day and after 5 days, you get 10 ap up to a possible 100ap. You also can get one of the weapons in the below link as a reward.

http://dulfy.net/2015/12/16/gw2-2015-a-merry-wintersday-achievements-guide/#Daily_Achievement_A_Season_of_Merriment

I went into the game and checked it out. Your summation is a great explanation and lends a lot of clarity – thanks.

Spook.5847

True. Most players don’t care if someone has a nice item or a lot of achievement points.

But some of those who believe in exclusivity and prestige are down right egotistical jerks. And sometimes, they go out of their way to let you know it.

What happened: I was in the Lava Lounge in Ember Bay and another player had used his endless ignited wraith tonic and was standing there playing with his costume brawl skills. So I thought “hey cool” and used my endless ignited wraith tonic and moved over to use the merchant. I didn’t speak to anyone or even use the costume brawl skills. Immediately the player whispered me asking if I own all legendaries in the game. I told him I don’t own any and he accused me of trying to start an kitten contest with him.

I censored his name in the screenshot. The screen shows pretty much the entire conversation because I quickly put him on my ignore list because I knew exactly where the conversation was headed. I’ll be kitten ed if I’m gonna stand there and be cyberbullied in an online game just because I used a goofy tonic I worked hard to get. And quite honestly, I wish it was easier to get so more players could enjoy such an item. I considered reporting for verbal abuse, but figured there was no need since I blocked him before things got out of hand.

I can’t stand people with this kind of “only I can have it” attitude. To be fair though, not all players who value exclusivity and prestige are egotistical jerks. Only a small minority of them are.

I did not mean to imply it was otherwise. At the same time, I am concerned that Anet apparently shares at least a significant portion of that mindset, as demonstrated by the insane amount of mats for even the simplest stuff (and there isnt even much of that, and what there is seems to be the same 5 items and stats recycled endlessly with no imagination). The endless nerfing is also driving me away.

Sad to say, I think one of the most fun things recently (and which was very relaxing and doable) was the cats quest to add them to your home instance :/

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I did not mean to imply it was otherwise. At the same time, I am concerned that Anet apparently shares at least a significant portion of that mindset, as demonstrated by the insane amount of mats for even the simplest stuff (and there isnt even much of that, and what there is seems to be the same 5 items and stats recycled endlessly with no imagination). The endless nerfing is also driving me away.

Sad to say, I think one of the most fun things recently (and which was very relaxing and doable) was the cats quest to add them to your home instance :/

Then, if you don’t already know, you’ll be pleased to find new cats to entice into your Home Instance with this patch! =)

Posted by: shintaotwo.1609

shintaotwo.1609

Arenanet sets the pace at which people advance with their AP, if this doesn’t meet your expectations that’s your problem. The backpiece might be a longterm goal, Anet decides what longterm is.
And you aren’t “cheated” out of AP since you didn’t do anything for these non existent repeatable achievements.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Ugh, I hated the snowball fights.

They used to be fun… until the super-tryhards came in and ruined it.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Charrbeque.8729

Only the first part of my post, where I said it’s true most players don’t care, was directed toward you. The rest of my post was directed toward the person you quoted, who said it’s a good thing because it makes AP more elite and prestigious.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

The patch notes says: Achievements for the Winter’s Presence collection have returned with saved progress from Wintersday 2015.

You’re not shortened on karma. The thing is, you had to consume 10,000 holiday drinks/consumable tonics to complete the achievement to get the masterful toast item that gives you a chunk of karma when consumed.

They couldn’t reset the achievement, otherwise players who had it partially completed and players who hadn’t finished their winter’s presence shoulder skin (but did complete this achievement), would have to start all over with the 10k drinks. And if they reset all achievements so players could get the AP again, a lot of people who had their winter’s presence shoulder skin unfinished would be forced to start the whole thing over. It would make people rather unhappy to lose that progress, especially since I did the winter wonderland JP over 1,000 times to farm gifts for those drinks. (I’d hate to have to go through all that again.)

Nonsense. They could’ve reset them for people who completed them.

The collection is a separate achievement. There are dozens upon dozens of collections that require items that you can still get (and some of them even consume) after you’ve added them to their respective collection.

Does the “Fine dining” collection become messed up when you cook another Spicy Lime Steak? No.

(edited by Manasa Devi.7958)

Posted by: Odin the exiled.5764

Odin the exiled.5764

To be perfectly honest, who cares about AP’s. Any tom kitten or harry can get them and will get them in time. Being the first one to 39k points means nothing in reality. In fact i 100% guarantee the first ppl to get there will be laughed at for it. I used to be ocd when it came to ap’s but then i came to my senses and realized they mean nothing, you don’t get a special prize for it that no one else can get. Players really need to stop qq’ing over ap’s already. It’s like crying over spilt milk, just clean it up and pour another glass lol.

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

I would not be surprised if ANet throws a ton of AP into the next expansion and the “complete everything” point becomes moot. What is likely to happen is as soon as you hit 39K AP that every other semi-dedicated veteran player will have it as well in another 2-3 months.

ANet is notorious for creating a soft cap on progression benefits (WvW ranks (nothing new but a title), PvP 80 ranks, Fractal levels, etc.) and AP will be no different.

Malediktus.3740

Arenanet sets the pace at which people advance with their AP, if this doesn’t meet your expectations that’s your problem. The backpiece might be a longterm goal, Anet decides what longterm is.
And you aren’t “cheated” out of AP since you didn’t do anything for these non existent repeatable achievements.

Indeed, Anet sets the pace. But at the current pace even the top 25 achievers will not ever reach the top reward tiers. 39k and 42k for the backpieces is not the end, there have been rewards datamined (titles and pinnacle skins) for upto 60k.
Realistically speaking at the current pace the game will be 10 years old before the top achievers even reach 39k and who knows if the game still gets regular content updates by then, because it will be more than twice as old as now.
HoT gave around 1700 AP including everything, so I guess we can only expect 2500-3500 AP per expansion cycle.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Well, there’s always the opinion of this poster who said:

Malediktus.9250
“Keeping the high achievement point skins prestigious (29k+) is a valid reason.”

The fewer AP there is and the harder it is to get AP, the more prestigious the skin is. Isn’t that right Malediktus.3740?

ANet may give it to you.

Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.9250
“Keeping the high achievement point skins prestigious (29k+) is a valid reason.”

The fewer AP there is and the harder it is to get AP, the more prestigious the skin is. Isn’t that right Malediktus.3740?

You pulled that out of context again regarding the daily/monthly cap which is already very high @15k AP.
I always advocated for more attainable AP outside of dailies, especially since noone is even close to getting the backpieces in the next few years.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Malediktus.9250

You pulled that out of context again regarding the daily/monthly cap which is already very high @15k AP.
I always advocated for more attainable AP outside of dailies, especially since noone is even close to getting the backpieces in the next few years.

Yes I did pull it out of a dailies cap thread. Capped dailies is something that a lot of us casuals dislike, and you like. However I feel that you’re trying to have it both ways. You complain when the AP you like isn’t enough, because it makes it hard to get the high AP items. Then you turn around and applaud when AP you don’t like is capped because it then makes it hard to get the high AP items.

ANet may give it to you.

Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.9250

Yes I did pull it out of a dailies cap thread. Capped dailies is something that a lot of us casuals dislike, and you like. However I feel that you’re trying to have it both ways. You complain when the AP you like isn’t enough, because it makes it hard to get the high AP items. Then you turn around and applaud when AP you don’t like is capped because it then makes it hard to get the high AP items.

There is a difference between disliking infinite daily 10 AP for 5minuntes of effort and being unhappy about reducing/removing the amount of AP for things you actually invested several hours each into for a much lower AP / time ratio.
Not to mention these were capped also. A maximum of 65 AP for all 4 minigames combined.

Charrbeque.8729

Well, some players weren’t good at certain activities and/or didn’t like certain activities, and felt like they were missing out of AP because it was locked behind content that was too difficult for them (like the jumping puzzle or bell choir).

So players don’t have to worry about doing stuff that’s too hard and/or they don’t like without missing anything. Just pick your favorite activity and get a few extra gifts every so many times you complete it. I think last year I skipped out on the AP from the infinite achievements for all but the JP, because I was farming the JP for gifts to get the shoulder skin and it was too time consuming to do activities that weren’t efficient for getting gifts.

Besides, it’s only about 25 less achievement points than last year and that’s not very much.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Malediktus.9250

There is a difference between disliking infinite daily 10 AP for 5minuntes of effort and being unhappy about reducing/removing the amount of AP for things you actually invested several hours each into for a much lower AP / time ratio.
Not to mention these were capped also. A maximum of 65 AP for all 4 minigames combined.

And isn’t the non daily AP also infinite? ANet releases AP one way and releases AP another. Both have short term stops (one daily, the other as new content comes along). However both are equally “infinite/finite” as both can continuously increase and neither have a known future stopping point. Both can have AP which is easy to get, a few minutes, and both can have AP which takes time and effort. The main difference is, you like one and dislike the other.

So therefore when a thread about AP you don’t like comes on the forum, you appear and applaud the cap and say it’s good because it makes the elite items more elite. However when it’s AP you like that’s nerfed, well then it’s awful. It makes the elite items harder to get. You then make a thread and complain about it.

I just find it interesting how your posts about nerfed AP and how hard it is to get elite items depends on whether you specifically like that type of AP and that you never seem to consider other arguments, such as whether or not uncapped daily AP would help ANet retain the casual players or even whether or not pixels on your computer screen can actually be elite or prestigious.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)