Feedback/Questions: Town clothes, Costumes, & Combat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Had the chance to use town clothes as skins on our armor would be amazing, at least all i own do have one normal behavior as one normal armor skin on the new wardrobe.

ANET here is being lazy, as they are not caring much with their players on this aspect, they could use the wardrobe and convert them to skins.
But i can promise this: If ANET makes it not possible to customize them as we did till now i will ask for one Refund for the gems i spent on town clothes.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

(edited by Max Lexandre.6279)

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I LOVE Costume Brawling!!! I have all the costumes and love mix and matching them. Especially swapping out the toy on the fly for different support and attacks. What the heck is going to happen to costume brawl without having town clothes???

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

What is this talk about tonics? Can someone explain?

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: wondo.2870

wondo.2870

LOL Endless Tonic of Khaki Cargo Shorts?

Reallly? Pls just make them individual costume items that people can still mix and match with….

SAB is LOVE, SAB is LIFE #OccupySAB2014

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

They actually were answering questions in this very thread, right up until it devolved into nasty posts insulting them over what is, almost entirely, pure speculation on the part of the players.

While nasty posts are never appropriate or constructive — the details are actually fairly clear. It isn’t pure speculation, and it has been elaborated on enough to see that this system is going to be a very big issue for town clothing.

I didn’t say it was pure speculation. I said it was almost entirely pure speculation. That lack of reading comprehension is what has derailed this whole thread.

People have asked so many questions about Town Clothes and their new function. Most of these questions haven’t been answered. However, that hasn’t stopped people from coming up with their own answers and immediately throwing a fit, based on no concrete info.

Ex) Town Clothes Tonics. The only thing we know for sure, is that items previously removed from the Gem Store, will now be tonics. However, it hasn’t been made clear what happens to the players that already own said clothing. Judging by the article, it sounds like these single pieces will function as single piece skins.

Rather than even considering that possibility, the bulk of the posts regarding said pieces have revolve around the presumption that the only possible conclusion is that they will lose their clothes and be given a tonic instead.

Another thing people have seriously failed to take into consideration, is that the article specifically mentions that the new Wardrobe System has been designed with enhancement and expansion in mind. This initial system will be Wardrobe 1.0. There is still a very real possibility that they plan to enhance the Town Clothes system, to eventually allow the outfits to become individual pieces and allow Mix-and-Match.

I’m just saying “Wait and get some concrete answers before throwing hissy fits over something that hasn’t even been released yet.”

(edited by videoboy.4162)

Posted by: dcjester.4507

dcjester.4507

I would vote that town clothes be added to the wardrobe pool as separate skins. They are already individualized items now. A lot of people enjoy mixing and matching town clothes and also would like to wear town clothes in combat. Without knowing the technical hurdles involved, I believe that keeping them as individualized items is the best compromise to satisfy the largest quantity of players.

As someone who has paid real money for some of the town clothes, I am disappointed at this change and reduction of enjoyment in my financial investment. To me, this is poor business practice and makes me hesitant of investing financially going forward.

I have to second this. 100%

Add a third to this.

It really does come down to the fact those players who have spent real dollars on the gem store items are feeling a sting about the new wardrobe idea. Its not a horrible idea and truly welcomed by and large, its just the implementation of it seems to be haphazard or woefully under-thought.

The idea of making these full suits of unbreakable parts is not a very good step in relations with the community which prides itself on individuality. We each of an idea of how we want to look, and have based a number of characters we have on just on an outfit we thought up when putting some items together. Now, the ideas we had are being trashed, almost literally, because we can no longer break apart an entire outfit which, before, worked just fine the way it was.

ANet, please, look over the thread here, and on many of the other sites which are talking about your Wardrobe plan. I understand reversing already coded plans is very difficult, but realize this kind of change might have been better implemented as a “We are thinking of making this kind of change. Test it on X server. Tell us what you think”.

Just more time in another place, a little more time to remake this face -Maestro

Max Lexandre.6279

If ANET makes it not possible to customize them as we did till now i will ask for one Refund for the gems i spent on town clothes.

Asura thing.

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

Not to rag on the awesome changes being made, but it really would be a cherry on top if we could still mix and match our town clothes. I wear the pilot’kitten with the pirate outfit, and I’m sure there’s plenty of other creative mixes out there.

I realize there’s issues with armors of different types looking terrible/buggy when mixed together. I’d rather there be remain a forth classification of gear, ‘town gear’, that can only be mixed with itself, just like light or medium or heavy gear, rather than go the tonic route.

Cheerio.

DeWolfe.2174

They should keep the Town Clothing to Armor Swapping as it is.
AND, they should make all town clothing as useable skins to the wardrobe.

This way we can use them as full time looks for combat and as a secondary costume brawl clothing set.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

DeWolfe.2174

I’m reading more about this and I’m at the point of just say NO to town clothes tonics! That’s a bunch a bull kitten. I paid cash for these items and want them as individual item skins.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Liraz.8062

Liraz.8062

In the wardrobe post today, they mentioned that town clothes are going away as they know them. Full sets of outfits will be used as costumes and have their own slot, and be wearable in combat.

Pieces of clothes that were sold individually but are no longer available in the gem store – such as the Khaki Shorts, or the Cherry Blossom Shirt – instead will be turned into endless tonics. Activating one of these tonics will give you the item of clothing you bought, but will give you a generic outfit appearance for the rest of your outfit. For example, if you activate the Cherry Blossom Shirt tonic, you will get generic pants/boots/whatever. If you activate the Shorts tonic, you will get a generic shirt. The purpose of this is to prevent you from looking naked.

The problem is that you can only activate one tonic at a time, so if you were wearing multiple pieces of town clothes, the look you achieved is no longer possible. Also, mix and matching from parts of the other sets, such as the cook or pirate set, with other pieces of town clothing, is also not possible anymore.

Those of us that purchased these items are frustrated given that they were not cheap and the alternative tonics they have offered us in light of these wardrobe changes are not very useful compared to their previous forms.

Firstwatch Irregular Company – RP, Tarnished Coast

(edited by Liraz.8062)

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

If just people could wait for information to get released. 99% of the comments in this thread are pure speculation. All we know about town clothing is a sentence or two.

Right.

And like always, we ask.

Pretty useful and pointed questions.

And they say nothing to help clear it up.

Instead, they let 1000+ comment posts fester to the point where insults are thrown, and then they close the thread down.

Why? Why not tell us, precisely, everything we need to know, complete with honest answers (immersion doesn’t count) as to ‘why’ it was done?

Unless they don’t want us to really know why, because if they walked out on stage and gave us a Barilla, or Papa John complaining about laying people off because of health care, they’d lose some folks.

Why not just say nothing and continue to passive-aggressively sneak in little change after little change to slowly eat away at the darkness infecting the game they are trying to morally save and inject with appropriate (I love that word, glad he used it) values so all our children will have proper compasses and Jesus can ride off into the Rapture on his 6000 year old dinosaur?

There will be armor that follows. You will also notice a lack of new types of available armor. The last sets of armor were … interesting, in that respect.

Just wish they had the decency to treat us with a little respect, the same they always like to demand of us, and make some honest statements.

They actually were answering questions in this very thread, right up until it devolved into nasty posts insulting them over what is, almost entirely, pure speculation on the part of the players.

Yes, they answered with some vagueness, the word appropriate, and when it was specific, it was just, “This is how it will work.”

Where’s the why?

There is an answer to that question, there always is. The why is in the meetings that led them to make the decisions that they do. That’s what is missing.

They won’t ever answer questions that explain the ‘why’, or anything that sheds any sort of light as to what they believe in, what their moral compass is, etc.

Posted by: Lorelia.3015

Lorelia.3015

I agree with OP, this is a terrible idea.

Semper Nox Redit. Quoque Redibo.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

LOL Endless Tonic of Khaki Cargo Shorts?

Reallly? Pls just make them individual costume items that people can still mix and match with….

The thing is, they want to make them as inconvenient to use as possible. While they, or someone, thought they were cute to make at one point, somehow the inner compass has changed, by whoever has the reigns now, and they are sorry they were ever made.

This is a way to keep them, but make them unfriendly and un-fun so we just stop using them altogether and hopefully delete them, apparently.

Why go do the trouble of making the tonic mechanic? Seems like a lot of extra work they went to there.

I guess because it’s not appropriate.

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

In the wardrobe post today, they mentioned that town clothes are going away as they know them. Full sets of outfits will be used as costumes and have their own slot, and be wearable in combat.

Pieces of clothes that were sold individually but are no longer available in the gem store – such as the Khaki Shorts, or the Cherry Blossom Shirt – instead will be turned into endless tonics. Activating one of these tonics will give you the item of clothing you bought, but will give you a generic outfit appearance for the rest of your outfit. For example, if you activate the Cherry Blossom Shirt tonic, you will get generic pants/boots/whatever. If you activate the Shorts tonic, you will get a generic shirt. The purpose of this is to prevent you from looking naked.

The problem is that you can only activate one tonic at a time, so if you were wearing multiple pieces of town clothes, the look you achieved is no longer possible.

I have absolutely no words for how completely insane this is. None at all.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

Posted by: Lorelia.3015

Lorelia.3015

This is a terrible idea, and I really hope it will be canceled.

I was really excited when I read the wardrobe update, coz I’m a skin addict, but I don’t understand why they would change the town clothing in such an awful way.

I’m sorry to say this, and I’m really trying not to be offensive here, but it looks like they don’t know why people buy that kind of thing in the first place…

Semper Nox Redit. Quoque Redibo.

Posted by: whatsername.4128

whatsername.4128

Yes outfits are all or nothing.
Yes wearable in combat. There will be no non-combat equipment anymore, unless you count tonics.

The endless tonic will grant the appearance of the clothing it replaced. (along with some appropriate complimentary pieces so you’re not naked). They are new tonics, not existing ones.

Only one tonic can be used at one time.

There will be no town-clothes swap any more.. so you won’t be switching to naked.

To the people saying that there’s too much speculation going on or who can’t be bothered to read back on the thread, these two posts in conjunction with the blog post make it sound pretty clear:

Town Clothes sold through the gem store as outfits, such as the Pirate Captain’s Outfit, will be usable as a single outfit skin through the Wardrobe. Purchasing an outfit will unlock it for all characters on your account to use. Outfits will replace the look of equipped armors, are equipped in a separate appearance slot, and do not require Transmutation Charges to use. Single items, such as the Fuzzy Hats and Scarlet’s Spaulders, will be unlocked for your entire account and usable with any armor weight. Some basic clothing items that are no longer available for purchase will be converted into endless tonics.

The only assumption/jump to conclusion being made here that hasn’t been specifically outlined for us is that these “no longer available for purchase” items are indeed our mix and match town clothes that were pulled from the gem store in December (hoodie/shorts/riding pants, etc.).

All I’m saying is it sounds like a fairly sound conclusion to be reaching and there isn’t really that much jumping involved. It seems pretty clear to me.

Tarnished Coast – [NeX] [SASS]
Avalise [Sylvari Thief]

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

They should not alter items that you buy in the gem store. It makes you less likely to risk spending money again because you are unsure if the items you pay for will change into something that you did not initially purchase.

Posted by: Chellae.8401

Chellae.8401

I don’t get why they would do it this way, I really don’t. I’ve been mixing and matching different kinds of town clothes forever, pieces I paid real money for (I rarely convert gold to gems), quite a few of them too. Including some pieces that were removed from the gem store a while ago.
You can’t just take people’s ability to mix and match, there’s no reason to. I’ve been running around in mix&match town clothes a -lot-. With my own dye job. Now you’d turn them into all-or-nothing tonics? Really?

While I want this changed and not a refund, I WILL still ask for refunds if they leave it as planned. I would have the right to get them, because I bought these town clothes to be able to mix and match them, and to dye them. Take this functionality away from me and they’re virtually useless and pointless.

Come on, ArenaNet. Not cool. Please, I’m genuinely wondering, please explain to me why you thought this was an acceptable idea. I mean, really; did this not occur to anyone? I’d say it’s pretty darn important. =/
I don’t want to come off as flamey, but I find this genuinely upsetting because I’ll no longer be able to have the looks I’ve grown to love, and also because I -paid- to do so. Over-the-top as it may sound, that almost makes it some kind of digital theft. Almost.

Max Lexandre.6279

They should not alter items that you buy in the gem store. It makes you less likely to risk spending money again because you are unsure if the items you pay for will change into something that you did not initially purchase.

I must support this.
Town clothes of the Black Lion Gem Store should not, ever, be transformed into tonics, but yes into skins if they want to add them to the wardrobe.

That or simply keep the town clothes as they are.

Asura thing.

Posted by: SlothBear.9846

SlothBear.9846

If it can’t be reverted, give us refunds for those of us who brought town clothes to mix and match them.

Posted by: Ezekiel.1985

Ezekiel.1985

Do not do town clothes as an all or nothing thing, this is a terrible idea. I have a town clothes appearance I use constantly in RP and pretty much at all times while in towns that i LOOOOVE the look of. It is mostly the basic town clothes shirt combined with the winter legs and boots.

Been using this appearance for over a year. Please don’t impliment a change such as this that would make it so I can’t do this anymore. I would be very irate, especially because this look is the only reason I bought the winter outfit.

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

While I’m usually amused by the creative lengths some go to find something to complain about on these forums, the concerns about the ‘all or nothing’ system for town clothes is totally justified.

I was going to quote a post that I specifically agreed with detailing the problems with the proposed town clothes wardrobe system but there was just too many that word for word mirrored my concerns.

I really do think the community found the ‘fly in the ointment’ of the otherwise exciting new wardrobe system. ArenaNet, please re-think & re-work just this part of the proposed wardrobe system and make all town clothes mix & match just like every other piece of armor in the game.

I feel it’s the only part of the new wardrobe system ArenaNet has missed the mark on and hope they will be flexible enough to fix it before it goes live.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

Posted by: Athena.3579

Athena.3579

While nasty posts are never appropriate or constructive — the details are actually fairly clear. It isn’t pure speculation, and it has been elaborated on enough to see that this system is going to be a very big issue for town clothing.

I didn’t say it was pure speculation. I said it was almost entirely pure speculation. That lack of reading comprehension is what has derailed this whole thread.

Ok, word games much? The context and meaning of my post would not change a single bit had I added “almost entirely” in it to exactly correspond to you. In fact, we agree that it isn’t pure speculation; so what is the problem? Having unbreakable outfits — something that is confirmed — is still going to be a major problem when past freedoms of town clothing are taken into consideration. Also, this thread hasn’t derailed until now. Maybe you should practice what you preach instead of popping into threads and insinuating that people are illiterate.

Posted by: Naz.2607

Naz.2607

I’m thrilled about the upcoming wardrobe/dye changes!
I never really bought any town clothes, with the exception of a pair of glasses once, because they couldn’t be used as skins in combat & I’ve spent too much time & money acquiring my armor look anyway.
Now, I’ll never buy them bcs they can’t be mixed n matched. (plus the absence of female hair etc)
Food for thought anet

Naz ©

Liraz.8062

I think most players with these items would be much happier if they were added to the wardrobe instead of turned into tonics, even if this meant that they would not be immediately available when the feature patch goes live. A tonic is not very useful or functional when compared to what was originally paid for and I keep hearing over and over again in this thread that most would prefer to keep what they have rather than receive a refund.

I am more than willing to wait a month or two for them to be added to the wardrobe as I am sure that changing things will take time, and we are not very far away from the patch. I imagine most others are willing to be patient for ANet to get this right as well, and are just looking for a sign that ANet is listening to this feedback and is willing to consider changing their approach to the retirement of town clothes.

videoboy.4162

Yes outfits are all or nothing.
Yes wearable in combat. There will be no non-combat equipment anymore, unless you count tonics.

The endless tonic will grant the appearance of the clothing it replaced. (along with some appropriate complimentary pieces so you’re not naked). They are new tonics, not existing ones.

There will be no town-clothes swap any more.. so you won’t be switching to naked.

To the people saying that there’s too much speculation going on or who can’t be bothered to read back on the thread, these two posts in conjunction with the blog post make it sound pretty clear:

Town Clothes sold through the gem store as outfits, such as the Pirate Captain’s Outfit, will be usable as a single outfit skin through the Wardrobe. Purchasing an outfit will unlock it for all characters on your account to use. Outfits will replace the look of equipped armors, are equipped in a separate appearance slot, and do not require Transmutation Charges to use. Single items, such as the Fuzzy Hats and Scarlet’s Spaulders, will be unlocked for your entire account and usable with any armor weight. Some basic clothing items that are no longer available for purchase will be converted into endless tonics.

The only assumption/jump to conclusion being made here that hasn’t been specifically outlined for us is that these “no longer available for purchase” items are indeed our mix and match town clothes that were pulled from the gem store in December (hoodie/shorts/riding pants, etc.).

All I’m saying is it sounds like a fairly sound conclusion to be reaching and there isn’t really that much jumping involved. It seems pretty clear to me.

I’ll try explaining my thoughts in a different way, because it looks like you’re saying the same thing I did, but disagreeing with me.

Let’s say that you own a Cherry Blossom Shirt, that can no longer be purchased from the Gem Store. I do not own said shirt.

Based on the article, we know that if I were to get the shirt, it would only be as a Tonic. So, the question is: what happens to your shirt? Do they remove it from you and replace it with a tonic? Or, do you retain your shirt, but it now functions as a single-piece armor skin, like the other single-piece items mentioned?

Despite not being given an answer, the general consensus in this thread is that you’re getting screwed out of your shirt for a near-useless, unwanted tonic.

Personally, I feel that the blog would have worked better, if they had addressed the issue of Already Owned, discontinued skins. I also think it might have been simpler to ignore the tonic idea and slowly re-release older skins. However, since I don’t know why they did it, I can’t be sure that last idea is actually better.

Ezekiel.1985

I’d rather retain my ability to mix and match than be able to use this stuff in combat. This change is kind of asinine honestly.

videoboy.4162

Ok, word games much? The context and meaning of my post would not change a single bit had I added “almost entirely” in it to exactly correspond to you. In fact, we agree that it isn’t pure speculation; so what is the problem? Having unbreakable outfits — something that is confirmed — is still going to be a major problem when past freedoms of town clothing are taken into consideration. Also, this thread hasn’t derailed until now. Maybe you should practice what you preach instead of popping into threads and insinuating that people are illiterate.

No. The way you phrased it implies that I was saying every post in this is this thread was pure speculation. That isn’t true and it isn’t what I said.

There’s also a massive difference between being illiterate and not comprehending what you read.

Posted by: Athena.3579

Athena.3579

Ex) Town Clothes Tonics. The only thing we know for sure, is that items previously removed from the Gem Store, will now be tonics. However, it hasn’t been made clear what happens to the players that already own said clothing. Judging by the article, it sounds like these single pieces will function as single piece skins.

Some basic clothing items that are no longer available for purchase will be converted into endless tonics.

Converting an item implies… converting something from one format to a different format. In this case, a tonic. With the slight elaboration on page one, I don’t see how it isn’t safe to make this conclusion.

Posted by: sweetmesquite.5024

sweetmesquite.5024

I, for one, have mixed feelings regarding this coming update. For starters, much of the “end-game” content is the acquisition of skins, be they armor skins, weapons skins, town clothes, et cetera. That said, if I am no longer able to have my warrior run around as a biker with aviators and a comically oversized axe, then I will be very disappointed. I spent a fair bit of coin for those sets of town clothes to pick and choose what looked best. I would really rather the “all-or-nothing” approach not to be suddenly thrust upon us.

The upcoming wardrobe features have several things I appreciate. Account-bound unlocked dyes? Heck yeah! Town clothes skins on armor to wear into combat? Awesome! I would absolutely love to skin my town clothes onto an armor set and go wreak havok somewhere.

Pic absolutely related.

Attachments:

Raenia—Elementalist
PUNCH STONEFIST—Warrior
Skera Veidhimadhr—Necromancer

Posted by: dcjester.4507

dcjester.4507

This line;
Some basic clothing items that are no longer available for purchase will be converted into endless tonics.

This means if the item itself is no longer available, such as the Blossom shirt (and while this might be speculation, a number of other single piece town gear like the hats, glasses, etc. which do exist on the gem store right now) and you own it, it will be converted to the tonic. The conclusions that are being made are done so because of the statements provided.

Am I not understanding the statement provided to the community correctly?

Just more time in another place, a little more time to remake this face -Maestro

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

I would also likely be looking at a refund if the seasonal clothes become an ‘all or nothing’ group. I was actually very disappointed when, after buying the Wintersday outfit, found that the top and bottoms were glued together (this was when they were first launched in 2012). I would have much preferred to mix the top with other bottoms.

That said…. I wonder if anet actually designed a full set of clothes for each item. So for the orchid shirt, did they make an entire orchid set specifically designed to follow after the shirt and then transformed the entire thing into a tonic (back to the avoiding being naked bit)? If there are ‘sets’ designed after each town clothes ‘group’ then….. I kinda want them as town clothes… :P

Another option would be simply making it so players can toggle between townclothes and armor but keep the stats of the armor. For instance, I key-bound my townclothes to J, so in combat maybe I could just hit J and be like “oh hello bandit, flee as I randomly change from beating your face in while wearing chain armor to wearing khaki shorts! Ha!”

I was reeaaaalllyyyyy hoping to see MORE town clothes in the gem store to choose from (dresses, skirts, more shorts, capris, heels, boots, a tuxedo…) not less.

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

Just re-posting this here since it’s more relevant to this thread:

While I’m usually amused by the creative lengths some go to find something to complain about on these forums, the concerns about the ‘all or nothing’ system for town clothes is totally justified.

I was going to quote a post that I specifically agreed with detailing the problems with the proposed town clothes wardrobe system but there was just too many that word for word mirrored my concerns.

I really do think the community found the ‘fly in the ointment’ of the otherwise exciting new wardrobe system. ArenaNet, please re-think & re-work just this part of the proposed wardrobe system and make all town clothes mix & match just like every other piece of armor in the game.

I feel it’s the only part of the new wardrobe system ArenaNet has missed the mark on and hope they will be flexible enough to fix it before it goes live.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I bought the Bloody Prince outfit for my female necro, but I HATE the facepaint. It kills the outfit for me. With the all or nothing, I’ll have to have the facepaint on her. I don’t want that.

I want a refund if I cannot have a no headgear option because that is not what I paid for. For all future costumes, sure, but for the already bought ones? It feels like a full out rip-off to me.

And I’m not being rude or rough to work with or whathaveyou. It seriously isn’t what I paid for, and as such it is actually a fraud. This is a case of advertising one thing, selling it, then changing the product while it was used by the consumers – the consumers now paid for something they weren’t buying. And even if it’s just 10 bucks, I’d like that 700 gems back – go ahead and take the item off my account, I don’t want it anymore if I cannot get rid of that facepaint.

And now I’m VERY glad I never bought more than the one.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Bensozia.8071

Bensozia.8071

I think the confusion stems from this statement:
“Some basic clothing items that are no longer available for purchase will be converted into endless tonics.”
Note they say some it doesn’t say all of the ones no longer available. We need to clarification on that.
But I do interpret that to mean the single piece items will be converted to a tonic.

Guardians of the Light [GOTL]
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]
DragonBrand

Ezekiel.1985

There’s not really a lot of confusion there. They’re talking about clothes that were on the market place that are currently expired. IE, Winter clothes, riding shorts, etc.

The bigger point of contention is the all or nothing suits. DO NOT WANT. At all.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Thanks for clarifying that toggling items doesn’t cost charges … but wait. Do I still have to have the item in inventory? I can’t just have a statted item I wear and then swap out freely as to the skin, I have to burn a charge for each skin application? I might as well just keep my bags full of gear, then, so I can have a fighting set and still put on RP outfits.

Also, do I need to use my unbound skins before the patch to get them in my “library” of skins?

Liraz.8062

There’s not really a lot of confusion there. They’re talking about clothes that were on the market place that are currently expired. IE, Winter clothes, riding shorts, etc.

The bigger point of contention is the all or nothing suits. DO NOT WANT. At all.

Right, they are talking about the items on the town clothes list that were removed on December 17th. This includes:

Casual Hoodie
Cherry Blossom Shirt
Country Lace Gathered Shirt
Designer Hoodie
Dragon Emblem Shirt
Fitted Casual Shirt
Layered Vest
Leather Hoodie
Ornate Ruched Shirt
Silk Brocade Vest with Shirt
Striped Silk Vest with Shirt
Khaki Cargo Shorts
Riding Pants
Riding Boots
Riding Gloves

The last three items still exist as part of a costume set, but their individually sold versions were removed from the gem store.

Other seasonal outfits, such as the Fancy Winter Outfit, were actually part of a set, and are likely to receive the costume treatment instead of being turned into a tonic. It will not be possible to use the individual coat/pants/etc in a mix-and-match situation anymore.

(edited by Liraz.8062)

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I fear seeing ugly 0 serious allies from now on. I hate it when this happens on MMOs. The point where noone wants to look good anymore, just silly … I really HATE HATE HATE this!

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Posted by: Wubdor.5190

Wubdor.5190

“Some basic clothing items that are no longer available for purchase will be converted into endless tonics.”
Note they say some it doesn’t say all of the ones no longer available. We need to clarification on that.
But I do interpret that to mean the single piece items will be converted to a tonic.

The following quote, however, indicates that single piece items will get an “appropriate complimentary piece”, thus becoming a tonic as well, despite not being part of a set.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

This is more directed towards the toys that won’t have a place in the panel to be used. Now by using a tonic, you will have your lovely broom again.

Posted by: Wubdor.5190

Wubdor.5190

I’ve already voiced my opinion against the idea of changing town clothes into tonics in the other thread, so I will quote myself here.

“All or nothing” is something cannot comprehend. I simply cannot. It makes no sense. Why not just add them to the wardrobe as separate pieces? I do not wear full outfits. I mix them, just like most (if not all) other players.
I too will be requesting refunds if this isn’t fixed, and I really prefer not to. Not only do I want to support Arenanet with my purchases, but I wish to keep my looks. All of the changes are really nice, but this one not so much.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I see this as a huge problem:
Many people (probably thousands, including me) bought duplicate sets of gem armors and gems to get duplicate sets of the very expensive dyes.

Now we spent REAL MONEY on stuff that is now rendered useless and will be compensated with a cheap uni dye (for dyes) or nothing (for armor wardrobe).

As much as I may want to bash the Devs over the town clothes part of this…

I think you’re looking at it wrong. Your dyes and (normal) armor are not getting nerfed at all. Let’s say you got two of the Phalanx armor sets. That’s all you can ever have with the current system, two sets, unless you buy more. But now, you’ll be able to put it on as many characters as you want, cheaper. Also, if you accidentally transmute away a Phalanx skin, you don’t have to buy a whole new set to get that part back. You’re getting MORE for your money, not less. It’s just that the more copies of it you bought, the less of an improvement it is. Even so, it’s still an improvement, not a loss.

The same goes for dyes. Unless you’ve gotten a dye (Abyss, for example) for every character you have, and stockpiled enough for any character you may ever have, then you’re not losing anything with the dye change. You’re gaining. Again, those who have it on fewer characters do gain more, but everybody gains.

In these two areas, ANet is doing well by us. No regrets about dyes and normal armor, we all gain, no losses.

You do not understand, over the course of the year I used real money to buy in total 500g+ worth of Flame and Frost dyes, Abyss and Celestial for multiple characters.

We’re talking between about 50$ for what is now NOTHING.
Sure it’s great for people who never bought gems or new players. But for those of us with less time for farming and that used money we are getting ripped off.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Does this “all or nothing” also count for gem store armors? (like magitech)
Would be disastrous if I can’t combine magitech with other pieces anymore.

Also, is it possible to hide certain pieces of town clothes? (like the helmet)

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Liraz.8062

You do not understand, over the course of the year I used real money to buy in total 500g+ worth of Flame and Frost dyes, Abyss and Celestial for multiple characters.

Sure it’s great for people who never bought gems or new players. But for those of us with less time for farming and that used money we are getting ripped off.

I’m sure that is very frustrating; however, I support ANet making that change (despite having duplicates of things myself) because it was widely requested by the playerbase. You were able to enjoy the dyes you bought on your character, and you will still be able to do so afterward, even if it is frustrating to know that you spent more than was needed to.

The difference is that with the change to town clothes, we will not be able to enjoy our town clothes the same way that we did before the change. The usability of town clothes and costumes while in combat was also widely requested, but the way it has been implemented it is a change that directly impacts anyone who has purchased one of these items. The outright removal and depreciation of town clothes into tonic form was not requested by anyone and is inferior than the products that were paid for.

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

Right, they are talking about the items on the town clothes list that were removed on December 17th. This includes:

Casual Hoodie
Cherry Blossom Shirt
Designer Hoodie
Dragon Emblem Shirt
Fitted Casual Shirt
Layered Vest
Leather Hoodie
Ornate Ruched Shirt
Khaki Cargo Shorts
Riding Pants
Riding Boots
Riding Gloves

The last three items still exist as part of a costume set, but their individually sold versions were removed from the gem store.

I totally missed this, wasn’t playing actively at the time. I wanted to buy some of those :O
Why were they removed?

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I’m sure that is very frustrating; however, I support ANet making that change (despite having duplicates of things myself) because it was widely requested by the playerbase. You were able to enjoy the dyes you bought on your character, and you will still be able to do so afterward, even if it is frustrating to know that you spent more than was needed to.

The difference is that with the change to town clothes, we will not be able to enjoy our town clothes the same way that we did before the change. The usability of town clothes and costumes while in combat was also widely requested, but the way it has been implemented it is a change that directly impacts anyone who has purchased one of these items. The outright removal and depreciation of town clothes into tonic form was not requested by anyone and is inferior than the products that were paid for.

I am not questioning the merit of what they are trying to do, but only pointing out at the seriously lacking compensation for those who have invested real money.

Liraz.8062

Does this “all or nothing” also count for gem store armors? (like magitech)
Would be disastrous if I can’t combine magitech with other pieces anymore.

Gem store armors are not not costumes, they are skins, and are not affected in the same way. This thread is discussing the changes to costumes and town clothes only.

Liraz.8062

Casual Hoodie
Cherry Blossom Shirt
Designer Hoodie
Dragon Emblem Shirt
Fitted Casual Shirt
Layered Vest
Leather Hoodie
Ornate Ruched Shirt
Khaki Cargo Shorts
Riding Pants
Riding Boots
Riding Gloves

I totally missed this, wasn’t playing actively at the time. I wanted to buy some of those :O
Why were they removed?

At the time, no reason was given, and there was never any announcement made. I guess we know now why it was done – it’s very likely that they knew three months ago that these feature patch changes were coming, and they wanted to limit the number of people who would be negatively impacted.

It would have been far better if they had stated that this was about to happen. I know several individuals, including myself, that purchased some of those items just as they were about to disappear, thinking they were just clearing the gem store out for new items.