Feedback/Questions: Town clothes, Costumes, & Combat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BearJada.3295

BearJada.3295

I’m confused. I currently have the kahki shorts on my Norn, when this change is made is it going to be replaced by a tonic? Will that Tonic just replace the pants on my character with the shorts or will or will it now change all my clothes with something they think goes with the shorts?

Also I bought glasses for several of my characters, are they becoming tonics? will it swap all my clothes just because I want to put some glasses on?

That right there is the question that people keep asking that we’re waiting for clarification on. Because right now, it looks like you’ll be stuck with undyeable, unmixable tonics. I’m holding out hope that they’ll be more specific and say that’s not true.

Posted by: Bioanian.7016

Bioanian.7016

I’m confused. I currently have the kahki shorts on my Norn, when this change is made is it going to be replaced by a tonic? Will that Tonic just replace the pants on my character with the shorts or will or will it now change all my clothes with something they think goes with the shorts?

Also I bought glasses for several of my characters, are they becoming tonics? will it swap all my clothes just because I want to put some glasses on?

From what Im looking at in the video. If it goes on the head or face. Its being turned into a armor skin. If it was sold in a set. It will be combined into a single piece uniform. If it wasn’t a set then it will be turned into a tonic.

The only idea I like out of this is armor skin sun glasses. That is it. The rest sounds like a terrible idea.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

People, you all need to realize something: ANet can’t make changes fast enough to NOT do this. It’s set in stone, game over.

If the heads of NCSoft walked in and told them that if this goes live on the 15 they’re all fired, then they’d simply start packing up and refreshing their resumes so they can look for new jobs.

The only thing I can conclude is that they really don’t give a crap. They could have talked to us, and gotten tons of better ideas. They didn’t because they didn’t care. They don’t care about town clothes, and they don’t care about what any of us think about it. It’s either that, or for some reason they didn’t think we cared. I can’t believe they’re that stupid, they had to know that people bought this stuff and used it all the time. So… yeah. They don’t care, and it’s too late now.

So, anyone want to work up a form letter for demanding refunds on this stuff?

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

I see this as a huge problem:
Many people (probably thousands, including me) bought duplicate sets of gem armors and gems to get duplicate sets of the very expensive dyes.

Now we spent REAL MONEY on stuff that is now rendered useless and will be compensated with a cheap uni dye (for dyes) or nothing (for armor wardrobe).

Seems totally unfair and if that is really the case, even if it is an improvement is for new comers, I’ll never touch this game again. Getting ripped off isn’t something I can approve.

Therefore MMOs should never change, cause wether to the good or bad, the changes will always hurt someone.

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

Town clothes really just need to be wearable in combat. End of story.

Neglekt

Posted by: Zyrhan.3180

Zyrhan.3180

This is a major disappointment for an otherwise welcome change.

Why did this need to be done? If the problem is townclothes meshes clipping with regular armor, I think the same argument applies when it was cited in City of Heroes; regular armor clips with itself already. Limiting freedom of appearance and removing functionality seem like a really unnecessary thing to do for aesthetic edge-cases that might look bad.

And even if it is a more serious issue than that, why can’t we just have a “Style” tab in the Wardrobe that’s full of all of our purchased Town Clothes, that can only be used with each other, and a “Universal” tab for stuff like headpieces and such that can be used with either combat or non-combat armor? Is turning them into tonics that don’t function at all like the original items really the only way this could be implemented?

Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.
Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

You should probably read the thread you are responding too.

Palador.2170

I see this as a huge problem:
Many people (probably thousands, including me) bought duplicate sets of gem armors and gems to get duplicate sets of the very expensive dyes.

Now we spent REAL MONEY on stuff that is now rendered useless and will be compensated with a cheap uni dye (for dyes) or nothing (for armor wardrobe).

As much as I may want to bash the Devs over the town clothes part of this…

I think you’re looking at it wrong. Your dyes and (normal) armor are not getting nerfed at all. Let’s say you got two of the Phalanx armor sets. That’s all you can ever have with the current system, two sets, unless you buy more. But now, you’ll be able to put it on as many characters as you want, cheaper. Also, if you accidentally transmute away a Phalanx skin, you don’t have to buy a whole new set to get that part back. You’re getting MORE for your money, not less. It’s just that the more copies of it you bought, the less of an improvement it is. Even so, it’s still an improvement, not a loss.

The same goes for dyes. Unless you’ve gotten a dye (Abyss, for example) for every character you have, and stockpiled enough for any character you may ever have, then you’re not losing anything with the dye change. You’re gaining. Again, those who have it on fewer characters do gain more, but everybody gains.

In these two areas, ANet is doing well by us. No regrets about dyes and normal armor, we all gain, no losses.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Soooo…. those of us who actually bought different clothes to mix & match have just been slapped in the face due to the no mix-n-match clothes? I can understand that armors should be with armors due to clipping issues & stuff but seriously, no mixing town skins? You guys can’t be that ignorant….
I wonder how many people will ask for refunds if this is confirmed.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

If just people could wait for information to get released. 99% of the comments in this thread are pure speculation. All we know about town clothing is a sentence or two.

Palador.2170

You should probably read the thread you are responding too.

And this is what we call “irony”.

I’m pretty sure he’s protesting the town clothes problem that’s been made very clear in this thread.

Posted by: Wings.5140

Wings.5140

Turning town clothes into individual tonics is a terrible idea and one that I’m opposed to. It would be a much better idea to just let us have the town clothes over the armor like with the costumes, and I wonder what on earth was going through the developers heads when they decided to scrap them (and therefore the choice of customisation by mix and matching pieces).

Don’t turn them into tonics. Keep them as individual pieces to wear!

Posted by: whatsername.4128

whatsername.4128

People, you all need to realize something: ANet can’t make changes fast enough to NOT do this. It’s set in stone, game over.

While you make a fair point that our words here probably will not get this changed by the time the feature patch releases, getting our disagreement out there right now makes the possibility of getting this change repealed and/or remedied with a different solution amicable to both sides faster/sooner rather than later more possible/likely.

Negative feedback on things the playerbase disagrees with is important, so while it may be futile for immediate change it is necessary and justified.

Tarnished Coast – [NeX] [SASS]
Avalise [Sylvari Thief]

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I get to be MAD KING THORN!!!!!!!

You didn’t say “MAD KING SAYS!” /laugh

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Athena.3579

Athena.3579

That right there is the question that people keep asking that we’re waiting for clarification on. Because right now, it looks like you’ll be stuck with undyeable, unmixable tonics. I’m holding out hope that they’ll be more specific and say that’s not true.

It, unfortunately, probably is true. It sounds bad because it is bad. That’s also why they probably removed most of the individual town clothes months ago. They knew their “solution” was going to be bogus. Just keep the “Town Clothes” panel and use it as how a wardrobe system is used in most other games, sheesh. They can keep their new Armored Wardrobe System and we can have a Squishy (Town Clothing) Wardrobe System similar to GW1. Make all pieces in the Squishy Wardrobe have a visibility toggle, and when it’s on it will override their corresponding look in the Armored Wardrobe.

People are going to be running around in fuzzy wintersday outfits, executioner outfits, cook outfits, pirate outfits, fuzzy hats, bloody prince outfits, mad king outfits, and witch outfits, but a hoodie and shorts and bare feet (or whatever) is not ok? You want to wear your shorts? That’s cool. Well, we designed the shorts tonic to be “Barf Turquoise” colored, and you’re going to be forced to wear Layered Vest (“Neon Smurf” colored) and “Rotting Orange” Riding Boots.

What? Really? This is better than the previous system? Comparable?

Give. Me. A. Break.
(I don’t mean for this post to come off as rude, but I don’t understand how this renovation to the Town Clothing system even became a concept.)

Palador.2170

While you make a fair point that our words here probably will not get this changed by the time the feature patch releases, getting our disagreement out there right now makes the possibility of getting this change repealed and/or remedied with a different solution amicable to both sides faster/sooner rather than later more possible/likely.

Negative feedback on things the playerbase disagrees with is important, so while it may be futile for immediate change it is necessary and justified.

/me takes a deep breath.

You’re right. I’m letting my disappointment and frustration get the better of me. I’ll leave that post as is, what’s said is said, but you’re right.

If we don’t say it now, we’ll never see it changed in the future. Everyone, please keep posting suggestions on a better system and telling ANet that their town clothes “solution” blows.

Posted by: Howell Qagan.9752

Howell Qagan.9752

If the heads of NCSoft walked in and told them that if this goes live on the 15 they’re all fired, then they’d simply start packing up and refreshing their resumes so they can look for new jobs.

The only thing I can conclude is that they really don’t give a crap. They could have talked to us, and gotten tons of better ideas. They didn’t because they didn’t care. They don’t care about town clothes, and they don’t care about what any of us think about it. It’s either that, or for some reason they didn’t think we cared. I can’t believe they’re that stupid, they had to know that people bought this stuff and used it all the time. So… yeah. They don’t care, and it’s too late now.

So, anyone want to work up a form letter for demanding refunds on this stuff?

Did they get the Flamekissed hassle over immediately? No, they did not. But people asked, and people got.

Posted by: anotherdream.4702

anotherdream.4702

I want to add my voice saying this is REALLY disappointing. Anet, please reconsider. We want to mix and match and dye our town clothes. I do not see myself wearing any of them, even the gemstores ones I’ve bought with money, if I’m stuck with the default color and default combos. If you won’t change this, then please at least explain the logic and technical details behind doing it this way instead of just making every piece a skin. (Clipping is not a reason – armor combinations clip too.)

Posted by: belugachef.9654

belugachef.9654

First off, I want to say how pumped I am for some of the upcoming patches. Wardrobe, Trait changes – everything! Thank you for putting the time and effort into making improvements to the game.

Even if it’s just this small thing for the sake of my enjoyment of the game, I really hope your team will reconsider keeping Town Clothes ‘custom fitted’. I’m referring specifically to the ability to mix and match separate pieces.

My charr(s) looks amazing in the Riding Boots, Chef Coat, Hoodie and Riding Pants on her days off. I would hate for her to lose that look. I love having ‘casual/everyday’ wear to RP in as it gives me a greater sense of immersion. The aesthetics and ability to immerse myself in GW2 was what drew me to the game and keeps me here.

Thank you for your consideration!

Posted by: Halorin.1398

Halorin.1398

I would vote that town clothes be added to the wardrobe pool as separate skins. They are already individualized items now. A lot of people enjoy mixing and matching town clothes and also would like to wear town clothes in combat. Without knowing the technical hurdles involved, I believe that keeping them as individualized items is the best compromise to satisfy the largest quantity of players.

As someone who has paid real money for some of the town clothes, I am disappointed at this change and reduction of enjoyment in my financial investment. To me, this is poor business practice and makes me hesitant of investing financially going forward.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Just realized I will also have to use the ugly witch hat if I want to use my Witches outfit, guess I won’t be dressing up for Halloween anymore

Posted by: belugachef.9654

belugachef.9654

First off, I want to say how pumped I am for some of the upcoming patches. Wardrobe, Trait changes – everything! Thank you for putting the time and effort into making improvements to the game.

Even if it’s just this small thing for the sake of my enjoyment of the game, I really hope your team will reconsider keeping Town Clothes ‘custom fitted’. I’m referring specifically to the ability to mix and match separate pieces.

My charr(s) looks amazing in the Riding Boots, Chef Coat, Hoodie and Riding Pants on her days off. I would hate for her to lose that look. I love having ‘casual/everyday’ wear to RP in as it gives me a greater sense of immersion. We’ve even dubbed the Hoodie + Other Pieces as our physical training gear in our warband! It’s a bunch of fun and I would /love/ to be able to run dungeons as training exercises in that gear. The aesthetics and ability to immerse myself in GW2 was what drew me to the game and keeps me here.

Thank you for your consideration!

Posted by: Ragemuffin.2750

Ragemuffin.2750

Title says it all.

Figured this deserved its own thread that people actually can support.

But the logic behind it is simple, and perfectly legit.

Town Clothes -needs- to be customizable as seperate set pieces. Only a madman or someone who cares exceptionally poorly about his customers would actually do it any other way.

This new wardrobe function is amazing, and opens so many possibilities, so why cut it in half and make it handicapped by this crude all or nothing thing for the town clothes?

That’s absurd. There’s so much joy in being able to mix them together, and since I’ve seen the video about the wardrobe where emphasis in customization is so underlined, I really fail to see why you wouldn’t let us customize that.

Get your thinking gears straight, lads. This isn’t acceptable. It really, -really-, isn’t.

Posted by: Sylvan.9762

Sylvan.9762

I would vote that town clothes be added to the wardrobe pool as separate skins. They are already individualized items now. A lot of people enjoy mixing and matching town clothes and also would like to wear town clothes in combat. Without knowing the technical hurdles involved, I believe that keeping them as individualized items is the best compromise to satisfy the largest quantity of players.

As someone who has paid real money for some of the town clothes, I am disappointed at this change and reduction of enjoyment in my financial investment. To me, this is poor business practice and makes me hesitant of investing financially going forward.

I have to second this. 100%

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

If just people could wait for information to get released. 99% of the comments in this thread are pure speculation. All we know about town clothing is a sentence or two.

Right.

And like always, we ask.

Pretty useful and pointed questions.

And they say nothing to help clear it up.

Instead, they let 1000+ comment posts fester to the point where insults are thrown, and then they close the thread down.

Why? Why not tell us, precisely, everything we need to know, complete with honest answers (immersion doesn’t count) as to ‘why’ it was done?

Unless they don’t want us to really know why, because if they walked out on stage and gave us a Barilla, or Papa John complaining about laying people off because of health care, they’d lose some folks.

Why not just say nothing and continue to passive-aggressively sneak in little change after little change to slowly eat away at the darkness infecting the game they are trying to morally save and inject with appropriate (I love that word, glad he used it) values so all our children will have proper compasses and Jesus can ride off into the Rapture on his 6000 year old dinosaur?

There will be armor that follows. You will also notice a lack of new types of available armor. The last sets of armor were … interesting, in that respect.

Just wish they had the decency to treat us with a little respect, the same they always like to demand of us, and make some honest statements.

(edited by notebene.3190)

Posted by: pswendel.8179

pswendel.8179

Signed.

Wings.5140

Just realized I will also have to use the ugly witch hat if I want to use my Witches outfit, guess I won’t be dressing up for Halloween anymore

That’s another thing alongside the town clothes-to-tonics issue.

Why are the costumes all becoming one whole set? I rather like having my character’s face and hair visible (I also like to pair the witch outfit up with the bunny ears), and this wasn’t a problem in GW1. Let me keep my bunny-earred witch please!

Posted by: Sesbog.8705

Sesbog.8705

Will be a lot of compatibility issues

Example fully “paid” visual bug. Price bug 1150 gems

Attachments:

(edited by Sesbog.8705)

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

Signed.

Signed also

I have never before threatened to stop buying stuff from the gem store. Even when it came to the flamekissed I just quietly asked for my gems back and was satisfied to get them.

But now I have 4500 gems invested in 16 sets and pieces of town clothes I will not be able to use the way I desired to do when I bought them and have used them since purchase. I think, at this point I would have to say that I will no longer look forward to new items from the gem store and will be reluctant to purchase anything since I have no idea what will happen to it a few weeks down the line.

Athena.3579

Then keep town clothing as it is now. I’m almost 100% sure the people that use and love town clothing would rather keep the system as is than receive the small “benefit” of being able to wear globular, un-mixable, outfits in combat. If you can even call it a benefit that you will no longer be able to mix or separate your outfits (Pirate/Cook/etc). The cons greatly outweigh the, even then, arguable pros when town clothing is concerned.

Posted by: Gabe.3976

Gabe.3976

I love the wardrobe changes, but I think replacing the single-piece items with a tonic is a terrible change. I mix a hoodie, the shorts, and the riding boots on my human female guardian, and it looks awesome. I would love to be able to use that look in game.

If not…I mean, I only bought the two pieces because of how they looked together. If I can’t use them together anymore, then I think a refund is in order.

whatsername.4128

Signed.

Signed also

I have never before threatened to stop buying stuff from the gem store. Even when it came to the flamekissed I just quietly asked for my gems back and was satisfied to get them.

But now I have 4500 gems invested in 16 sets and pieces of town clothes I will not be able to use the way I desired to do when I bought them and have used them since purchase. I think, at this point I would have to say that I will no longer look forward to new items from the gem store and will be reluctant to purchase anything since I have no idea what will happen to it a few weeks down the line.

^ This. I own 17 different pieces of mix and match items (not including the glasses/sunglasses/quaggan hats I also purchased), and two Wintersday sets. I’m going to be expecting most (if not all of it) refunded if the changes that seem to be happening indeed do. It’s also going to leave a very bad taste in my mouth and put me off from playing not only a game I love, adore, and have put far more hours into than I’d prefer to discuss, but one I have fought to defend the good parts of.

This is not one of those good parts.

Avalise [Sylvari Thief]

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

When did the cherry blossom shirts stop being available in the shop anyhow? I wanted to buy some eventually but didn’t get around to it.

… not that I would buy them if they were tonics, but you know. If they remained functional, dyable townclothes, I’d like the option to be able to buy them again.

Posted by: Andrige.5609

Andrige.5609

Can I ask if we’ll be able to receive refunds on town clothing?

I will not want to have these items if this is the way it will be, I purchased these items with the intent of creating the look I wanted. If I can’t have that, I’d much rather have my gems back.

Posted by: Asacledhae.2650

Asacledhae.2650

Signed.

Signed also

^ This. I own 17 different pieces of mix and match items (not including the glasses/sunglasses/quaggan hats I also purchased), and two Wintersday sets. I’m going to be expecting most (if not all of it) refunded if the changes that seem to be happening indeed do. It’s also going to leave a very bad taste in my mouth and put me off from playing not only a game I love, adore, and have put far more hours into than I’d prefer to discuss, but one I have fought to defend the good parts of.

This is not one of those good parts.

Couldn’t agree more.

EDIT : I don’t want a refund on my purchased town clothes. I want to be able to use them and mix them as i used to.

The reasons we love the new downgra…..er….feature patch :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqJlKjwrKB4

Posted by: Howell Qagan.9752

Howell Qagan.9752

Couldn’t agree more.

EDIT : I don’t want a refund on my purchased town clothes. I want to be able to use them and mix them as i used to.

I have to say I would prefer this outcome, being able to use it the way I used it before. But if that is not possible, I won’t use it, I paid for something different, so naturally I would be wanting my gems back so I can buy something else from it that I can use what I have bought it for.

DeWolfe.2174

In fact I’m looking at screen shots and most everything I do is mix and match. No matter if it’s town clothes or armor sets, I mix them up every time.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by DeWolfe.2174)

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

Agreed and signed.

I really hope this is just a misunderstanding on how the new system will be implemented. I can’t believe ArenaNet would not think that players wouldn’t want to utilize and mix and match town clothes as much as gear skins.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

whatsername.4128

Couldn’t agree more.

I have to say I would prefer this outcome, being able to use it the way I used it before. But if that is not possible, I won’t use it, I paid for something different, so naturally I would be wanting my gems back so I can buy something else from it that I can use what I have bought it for.

Same. If we can salvage this, no refund necessary. If the current functionality is taken away though, I want my money back because it will not be what I paid for.

Avalise [Sylvari Thief]

Wings.5140

I agree with the OP.

This mistake of making costume pieces inseparable from another and turning town clothes into tonics is spoiling what would otherwise be a great announcement for me.

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

I really hope this is just a misunderstanding on how the new system will be implemented. I can’t believe ArenaNet would not think that players wouldn’t want to utilize and mix and match town clothes as much as gear skins.

The only possible explanation is that the Devs don’t play the game enough to notice all the toons running round town in a variety of mix and match town clothing.

DeWolfe.2174

I made another thread specific to town clothes mixing. This is really a top priority to me. I use two accounts and bought most clothes and costumes on BOTH accounts. No less I buy gems with real money!!!

There’s A LOT I like about where you are going with the dye and wardrobe changes Dev’s. You have to take it all the way with town clothes though.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

Signed.

Signed!!

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Right.

And like always, we ask.

Instead, they let 1000+ comment posts fester to the point where insults are thrown, and then they close the thread down.

Why? Why not tell us, precisely, everything we need to know, complete with honest answers (immersion doesn’t count) as to ‘why’ it was done?

Unless they don’t want us to really know why, because if they walked out on stage and gave us a Barilla, or Papa John complaining about laying people off because of health care, they’d lose some folks.

Why not just say nothing and continue to passive-aggressively sneak in little change after little change to slowly eat away at the darkness infecting the game they are trying to morally save and inject with appropriate (I love that word, glad he used it) values so all our children will have proper compasses and Jesus can ride off into the Rapture on his 6000 year old dinosaur?

There will be armor that follows. You will also notice a lack of new types of available armor. The last sets of armor were … interesting, in that respect.

Just wish they had the decency to treat us with a little respect, the same they always like to demand of us, and make some honest statements.

They actually were answering questions in this very thread, right up until it devolved into nasty posts insulting them over what is, almost entirely, pure speculation on the part of the players.

Posted by: Sonia.7910

Sonia.7910

Example fully “paid” visual bug. Price bug 1150 gems

You’re reporting a bug with the hair, not with the clothes.

I fully support OP too.

Little lost clumsy thief in Tarnished Coast

Athena.3579

They actually were answering questions in this very thread, right up until it devolved into nasty posts insulting them over what is, almost entirely, pure speculation on the part of the players.

While nasty posts are never appropriate or constructive — the details are actually fairly clear. It isn’t pure speculation, and it has been elaborated on enough to see that this system is going to be a very big issue for town clothing.

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

Would love it if I could just pick pieces of town clothing to wear with my armor. Like the pink quaggan hat for my Warrior and nothing else

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

To me, this doesn’t make any sense.

Why would they do this.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

It is the answer to a question noone was asking.

Why not leave the town clothes section in, but let players equip a whole second loadout there, armour, weapons and all… and then make town clothes into armour skin.

Then you could fight in one loadout in town clothes, the other in armour… or both in town clothes/armour as you desire.

Posted by: Wubdor.5190

Wubdor.5190

Right.

And like always, we ask.

While nasty posts are never appropriate or constructive — the details are actually fairly clear. It isn’t pure speculation, and it has been elaborated on enough to see that this system is going to be a very big issue for town clothing.

Not to mention that I’ve seen a lot of constructive posts, not insulting whatsoever. Just people stating they don’t agree with these new design choices in a civilized manner.