What GW2 feels like.

What GW2 feels like.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

For 50 bucks they received so much content as in 10-15 single player games

I’m imagining GW2 on one side of the scale and 10 Elder Scrolls games on the other…

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Brutal Augus.5917

Brutal Augus.5917

Interestingly enough, somebody over at mmorpg.com (a fairly popular MMO website) just recently started a thread asking players which MMO most disappointed them. Not the worst game, but the MMO that least lived up to player expectations for it and least fulfilled it’s potential. Tons of players posted their choice, and GW2 was the runaway winner … even beating out SWTOR.

The only thread I could find that was related to GW2 was this:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/403589/page/2

I’m actually sad to say that I agree with most of the people that are hating on GW2. Mainly the part where someone said something like: “They took everything you liked from Guild Wars 1, threw it out the window, and then turned the game into a puzzle jumper”. That was brilliantly said. I pretty much only played this game for the Jumping Puzzles and the dynamic events, but when I was bored with those, I deleted my characters and uninstalled without a second thought.

Don’t know who posted that, but they’ve somehow read my mind.

[varX] Limitless Potential

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Rooks Zaer.5846

Rooks Zaer.5846

I think the problem for many who don’t like GW2 is they paid money for an MMO, and recieved a gem-store driven theme park.

I think you missed the decimal point in front of 0.10-0.15.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

I think the problem for many who don’t like GW2 is they paid money for an MMO, and recieved a gem-store driven theme park.

WTF are you talking about? .10 single player games?

I have over 3000+ of Gw2. I’ve spent over 100$ and feel that I just received one of the best deals in all of gaming.

Liars are pathetic. To go online and just blatantly lie is so gross and gives you ZERO validity.

What GW2 feels like.

Godmoney.2048

I’m imagining GW2 on one side of the scale and 10 Elder Scrolls games on the other…

I have 3.1k hours into GW2m

On steam I have 1000 hours into Rift.

My next game is Super Monday night combat for 300 hours.

Xcom 125 hours.

I payed 60$ plus bought a 20$ expansion pack for Xcom.

120 hours on Skyrim. I payed 60$ for that.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Numu Boltar.6105

Numu Boltar.6105

How many players are in your guild, who a playing the game since release ?

What GW2 feels like.

Gibson.4036

Cool.

So we just have to figure out how many times you’ve repeated the same content in GW2 versus how many times you repeated it in Skyrim to see how that plays out in actual content.

My guess is that your 3.1k hours are filled with repeated runs of dungeons, fractals and world bosses, and some of it is probably social time.

My guess is that you didn’t spend much time in Skyrim repeating much of anything (unless with a different character). You definitely didn’t spend time waiting for your guild to gather or your dungeon group to be ready to go, nor hang around while you chatted in /map or /guild.

None of which is to say that GW2 lacks in content. Just that your number of hours played isn’t analogous to amount of content.

Not to mention, there are plenty of people who have played far fewer than 3k hours on GW2, and plenty who have played far more than 120 in an ES game.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Escadin.9482

Escadin.9482

On steam I have 1000 hours into Rift.

My next game is Super Monday night combat for 300 hours.

Xcom 125 hours.

I payed 60$ plus bought a 20$ expansion pack for Xcom.

I have only 350h in GW2 (just as much as in one of the most buginfested games of all: Chivalry MW)

700h in Terraria

500h in killingfloor

500h in skyrim (half of it just for modding)

I think the best deal will ever be terraria. I payed like 3€ for that and fun just never ends. Still, GW2 is in the big boys league (not counting €/h but how much quality time you can spend here) and I’m far from quitting tomorrow or any upcoming MMO that I know of.

Content isn’t diluted as much as in other mmos by a long shot since anet has cut grinding alot. I think the frame of whatever problem people may have with GW2 is that is still a traditional MMORPG.

(edited by Escadin.9482)

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

I haven’t played since the dev stream. The obvious lack of aim at the core gameplay mechanics and pve encounters and AI is upsetting. I don’t mind the nerf to zerker gear, but a nerf mixed with an acknowledgement that there are gameplay issues largely at fault would be been great. As it stands I don’t trust them to do what needs to be done, rather they will simply bandaid fix it.

Finally zerg pve isn’t very fun.

What GW2 feels like.

Gibson.4036

I think the frame of whatever problem people may have with GW2 is that is still a traditional MMORPG.

I think you’re absolutely correct. When people heard ArenaNet saying it would be a game worth checking out if you hate MMOs, many expected it to diverge farther from the MMORPG tradition than it ended up doing.

On the other hand, there are plenty of people out there who dislike it because it isn’t enough like traditional MMORPGs.

Which puts ArenaNet in a difficult place. It’ll be interesting to see what the future brings, and where they decide to take the game.

What GW2 feels like.

Godmoney.2048

How many players are in your guild, who a playing the game since release ?

RX (prescribed)

About half our players have played since launch. I just hit 10k achievement points last night. There’s about 20 people far ahead of me. Our top achievement point player has over 15k. Our top WvW player is level 750+. I think in spvp we have a large range but i know our top player just hit 50 a few days ago.

90% of people who complain are in bad guilds…….

What GW2 feels like.

Godmoney.2048

Cool.

So we just have to figure out how many times you’ve repeated the same content in GW2 versus how many times you repeated it in Skyrim to see how that plays out in actual content.

My guess is that your 3.1k hours are filled with repeated runs of dungeons, fractals and world bosses, and some of it is probably social time.

My guess is that you didn’t spend much time in Skyrim repeating much of anything (unless with a different character). You definitely didn’t spend time waiting for your guild to gather or your dungeon group to be ready to go, nor hang around while you chatted in /map or /guild.

None of which is to say that GW2 lacks in content. Just that your number of hours played isn’t analogous to amount of content.

Not to mention, there are plenty of people who have played far fewer than 3k hours on GW2, and plenty who have played far more than 120 in an ES game.

I’m not trying to criticize Skyrim. Skyrim was well worth the money I paid for it.

What GW2 feels like.

Gibson.4036

I’m not trying to criticize Skyrim. Skyrim was well worth the money I paid for it.

I definitely didn’t think you were. Who would play 120 hours of a game they don’t like?

I’m just now realizing my last few posts probably didn’t come across as what they are, which was thinking out loud, as it were.

I’m really trying to imagine the content of GW2 up against the content of 10 Elder Scrolls games. Putting aside any attempt to rate whether some of the ‘content’ in GW2 is meaningful enough for me to count it, just for sheer volume, does GW2 really have 10 Skyrims of things to do? I’m not deep into the Elder Scrolls yet (I’m a late adopter) so I don’t have a complete grasp on the scope of the games yet.

And your post about hours played made me have to think about how it correlates with content.

(edited by Gibson.4036)

What GW2 feels like.

Godmoney.2048

I definitely didn’t think you were.

I’m just now realizing my last few posts probably didn’t come across a what they are, which was thinking outloud, as it were.

I’m really imagining the content of GW2 up against the content of 10 Elder Scrolls games. Putting aside any attempt to rate whether some of the ‘content’ in GW2 is meaningful enough for me to count it, just for sheer volume, does GW2 really have 10 Skyrims of things to do?

And your post about hours played made me have to think about how it correlates with content.

Granted i’ve gone through countless dungeon repeatables. My only point was that for me at least it’s been a great value.

TBH I bootlegged Xcom the first playthrough so I probably have another 60 hours on it that isn’t recorded by Steam.

Beat Iron man Classic……….#YOLO

What GW2 feels like.

Gibson.4036

Traditional MMORPGs have a lot of ways to stretch hours played beyond what the content really supports, so it muddies the waters a lot, unfortunately.

I definitely got my box-price worth of entertainment from GW2, though I had hoped it was the kind of game I would continue buying expansions for and play longer than I did. I still hope it will become that game.

As for Skyrim, I’ve only reached level 9 and barely explored it, and I already know it was worth the price I paid (got the Anthology for under $30).

I’m not sure, though, that I’d say GW2 has the content, or even entertainment value of 10 to 15 single player games.

What GW2 feels like.

Godmoney.2048

Traditional MMORPGs have a lot of ways to stretch hours played beyond what the content really supports, so it muddies the waters a lot, unfortunately.

I definitely got my box-price worth of entertainment from GW2, though I had hoped it was the kind of game I would continue buying expansions for and play longer than I did. I still hope it will become that game.

As for Skyrim, I’ve only reached level 9 and barely explored it, and I already know it was worth the price I paid (got the Anthology for under $30).

I’m not sure, though, that I’d say GW2 has the content, or even entertainment value of 10 to 15 single player games.

10-15 maybe a exaggeration…….It is.

But I’d say in all honesty if you never repeated a single thing there’s at least 300 hours of content for 50$ (30$ if you shop around) That’s still a great value.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Black Dragon.3784

Black Dragon.3784

Really guys.. It’s a pay to play not pay monthly and you expect so much? Anyways I get where many are coming from, I just think you all need to take a break and come back in a year until the story develops more… I like the living story but I do think it’s about time to continue with personal story and thanks Anet for not taxing us to play your wonderful game

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Moriwenne.3128

Moriwenne.3128

Guild wars 2 is a game that launched back in august of 2012. What i remember thinking from back then wasn’t the glitches and bugs that all games have but the amount of content it had. The game brought tons of maps right from the start, spvp arenas, wvw and dungeons. For me, it’s quest delivery system was a treat and the gameplay was very different from usual trinity and fun.
For all of this I paid 50€.
After launch they worked on fixing bugs, changing what needed to be changed, improving here and there to make the game work better. Changes like the achievement points menu and the wallet were most welcomed.

But the content never stopped and since the beginning they added:
-Halloween’s Mad King
-Wintersday
-Fractals
-Spirit watch spvp map
-New Guild content (bounty, rush, upgrades, etc)
-Super Adventure Box 1 and 2
-Southsun Cove map
-Crab toss activity
-Dragon bash with moa racing woot
-Bazaar of the Four Winds and new aetherblade retreat dungeon
-wvw ranks
-Belcher’s Bluff activity
-Sanctum sprint activity
-Skyhammer spvp map
-Southsun survival activity
-Queen’s Jubilee (Crown pavilion, one of my favourites)
-Clockwork Chaos (scarlet invades)
-Tequatl boss
-New Twilight Arbor path
-wvw season
-Tower of nightmares instance
-Origins of madness worm and marionette bosses
-New skins, minis, armour, weapons

This provided loads of new pve and some new interest for spvp and wvw (although you clearly favour pve anet…why u no love pvp? whyyyyy?)

For all of this extra stuff I paid….0€!

Personally I like wvw. Albeit it being the same thing over and over again, grabbing the same keeps and towers, it is pvp, it is not scripted and situations are always new. I get to have small fights, medium fights, zerg fights and blobs fights and it’s all different. So I keep doing it. I do some daily spvp and it’s also fun and different every time. You get to try out builds and different characters.

Bottom line, I’ve got 2000+ hours into this game that I paid 50€ for and they keep putting out stuff. In my view, they owe me nothing so I’ll ask for nothing and will happily take whatever else they decide to add to the game.

THAT’S WHAT GW2 feels like!

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t know…I bought this game TO not receive an MMO. That is to say I didn’t want a traditional MMO and I think that was delivered. If you paid attention to what was being said before you spent your money, it’s sort of what they were going for.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

GW2 is a product. The product consists of the core game — what came with the box when the game launched. Product development was paid for on the back end by the box price. I have no doubt that, for me, the product was well worth the expense. However, while GW2 the product was a great value, few things retains their luster in the face of repetitive use over thousands of hours of play.

GW2 is also an ongoing service, which is made available to anyone who purchased the product. The service is paid for by optional cash shop purchases. The service changes in that the game changes over time as things are added and taken away. As I do not like many of the changes that have been made to the game, I am not inclined to pay for the service. even though such payment is optional. I would be so inclined if I saw value in the service.

At the moment, I’m waiting to see season 2 of the LW, and to see what comes or doesn’t come of the CDI. Based on all of the above, GW2 feels like anything I’ve put on the back burner. I don’t pay that much attention, but I do check it out from time to time.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: JBDanger.2603

JBDanger.2603

And the nerfs, god all the nerfs! The true meaning of Anet?

Always
Nerfing
Every
Tyrian

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Scourge.4317

Scourge.4317

Interestingly enough, somebody over at mmorpg.com (a fairly popular MMO website) just recently started a thread asking players which MMO most disappointed them. Not the worst game, but the MMO that least lived up to player expectations for it and least fulfilled it’s potential. Tons of players posted their choice, and GW2 was the runaway winner … even beating out SWTOR.

MMORPG.com is a joke. Please don’t mention that website lol. Its full of bitter Doac, UO, AC and Sandbox players who are waiting for some magical dev to create their dream MMO. And any mmo they don’t like is deemed a failure. There are people on that forum who have been dogging GW2 since it came out even though they don’t play it anymore.

The game definitely needs some work and i can agree with those who are upset about how it seems like Arenanet got rid of most of the things that made guild wars……guild wars but the rest is so over the top its ridiculous.

(edited by Scourge.4317)

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

MMORPG.com is a joke. There are people on that forum who have been dogging GW2 since it came out even though they don’t play it anymore.

I think the same could be said for every single forum that discusses GW2.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

yup GW2 could use some improvement, but it is not boring as few people said. boring is very subjective, especially if you’re doing the same thing over and over again.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

MMORPG.com is a joke. Please don’t mention that website lol. Its full of bitter Doac, UO, AC and Sandbox players who are waiting for some magical dev to create their dream MMO. And any mmo they don’t like is deemed a failure. There are people on that forum who have been dogging GW2 since it came out even though they don’t play it anymore.

The game definitely needs some work and i can agree with those who are upset about how it seems like Arenanet got rid of most of the things that made guild wars……guild wars but the rest is so over the top its ridiculous.

You guys keep saying that, and I’m not trying to defend that site in general, but I’ve seen FAR more objective comparisons of of various games there than I ever have here. Here’s an example … this one discussing ESO versus the other new games coming up:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/403814/page/1

Do those posters sound like trolls? Do they sound like bitter players? I see much less hyperbole and rancor from those posts and a lot more objective commentary than I do from the one you just posted.

As far as I’m concerned, there are valid reasons for “dogging” GW2. The players who post here now are players who came to GW2 for a reason. The players who are still here griping about GW2 aren’t those who just like to sit back and kitten about a game for the hell of it. Those players are long gone. The ones who are still here kittening are players who WANTED this game to be better than it is and are disappointed that it isn’t. There is zero evidence that anything is going to change for the better (don’t you dare quote the CDIs in rebuttal … you’ll just look foolish). The best we can hope for is more of the same lame LS and dysfunctional PvP. There is nothing “over the top” in being unhappy about that.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Scourge.4317

Scourge.4317

You guys keep saying that, and I’m not trying to defend that site in general, but I’ve seen FAR more objective comparisons of of various games there than I ever have here. Here’s an example … this one discussing ESO versus the other new games coming up:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/403814/page/1

Do those posters sound like trolls? Do they sound like bitter players? I see much less hyperbole and rancor from those posts and a lot more objective commentary than I do from the one you just posted.

As far as I’m concerned, there are valid reasons for “dogging” GW2. The players who post here now are players who came to GW2 for a reason. The players who are still here griping about GW2 aren’t those who just like to sit back and kitten about a game for the hell of it. Those players are long gone. The ones who are still here kittening are players who WANTED this game to be better than it is and are disappointed that it isn’t. There is zero evidence that anything is going to change for the better (don’t you dare quote the CDIs in rebuttal … you’ll just look foolish). The best we can hope for is more of the same lame LS and dysfunctional PvP. There is nothing “over the top” in being unhappy about that.

I’m not saying GW2 is above criticism. That forum does have its moments with good conversation. But after being a member of that site for almost 6 years ive never seen the amount of exaggerated nonsense being said about MMO’s on any other website that discusses mmo’s.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

Really guys.. It’s a pay to play not pay monthly and you expect so much? Anyways I get where many are coming from, I just think you all need to take a break and come back in a year until the story develops more… I like the living story but I do think it’s about time to continue with personal story and thanks Anet for not taxing us to play your wonderful game

YAY! I knew there had to be more players who felt the same way.

It is time to continue the PS.

If only Anet would listen to us…

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

I agree. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess had more content that this game. I play $20 for LoZ:TP and got 60 hours of content. I also like the storyline and gameplay so much that I’ve replayed the game. I breezed through most of GW2’s content easily by casually playing a few hours every week. I hesitate finishing the PS because I know there aren’t any more stories after that. Alot times, I log on to talk with my current guild or RP with people instead of playing the game.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

I wonder if morning sickness is similar to realizing that Guild Wars 2 is considered the new western mold for mmog development.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

I wonder if morning sickness is similar to realizing that Guild Wars 2 is considered the new western mold for mmog development.

lol, That would be scary if it were true.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Early feedback from those who’ve been playing the ESO beta has been… less than promising. I wasn’t going to get it anyway since it’s subscription based, but more than that, I have a feeling that ESO is not going to be a success because part of what made the Elder Scrolls games so amazing was the sheer RP immersion you could get in it (and the tons of mods that improved the process).

You’re not going to get that kind of immersion in an MMO. Mods will be non-existent, and you’re going to have players running/jumping down the streets, with ridiculous names like Xx Legolass xX and Captin Jack Sprrw and DaRtH SlAyEr 69, pickpocketing every NPC in sight and being chased by hordes of angry town guards. (Possibly training these guards onto you too?)

So no, I think ESO will fail to capture the interest of players like me, who buy these games specifically BECAUSE they’re not an MMO.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Lacklustre. Superficial. LQ. Intentionally misleading. A marketing hoax. Hot air.

But hey, substance was never a thing with general audience, so yea.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

What GW2 feels like.

Cactus.2710

Early feedback from those who’ve been playing the ESO beta has been… less than promising. I wasn’t going to get it anyway since it’s subscription based, but more than that, I have a feeling that ESO is not going to be a success because part of what made the Elder Scrolls games so amazing was the sheer RP immersion you could get in it (and the tons of mods that improved the process).

You’re not going to get that kind of immersion in an MMO. Mods will be non-existent, and you’re going to have players running/jumping down the streets, with ridiculous names like Xx Legolass xX and Captin Jack Sprrw and DaRtH SlAyEr 69, pickpocketing every NPC in sight and being chased by hordes of angry town guards. (Possibly training these guards onto you too?)

So no, I think ESO will fail to capture the interest of players like me, who buy these games specifically BECAUSE they’re not an MMO.

It depends upon who you’re talking to. Lots of long time Elder Scrolls fans have mixed (or even negative) feelings about ESO simply because it’s an MMO period … they feel the multi-player aspect will diminish the immersion that they have come to love. That’s kind of like saying you don’t think football will be successful because you happen to like basketball.

Other beta testers have been quite positive about the game … they like the way it appears to be geared toward expansive PvP and they like the graphics compared to some of the other new games coming out soon. Almost everyone seems to be concerned about one aspect or another of the combat mechanics, but there is still time to refine them prior to launch so nobody really knows what to expect.

The one thing I can say with assurance is that not everyone is looking ahead to ESO with the same set of desires and expectations. Some of us will be pleased, some of us not … but there are a lot of people quite dissatisfied with GW2 and ANet is likely to lose a lot of players to either ESO, WS, or EQN over the next few months. I loved the Elder Scroll series but in all honesty I would almost for sure have stuck with GW2 if ANet hadn’t messed up WvW so badly. As it is, I will give ESO every chance in the world based upon its emphasis on RvR (ZeniMax has quite obviously been paying attention to all the things players don’t like about WvW), and if that doesn’t work for me I will look elsewhere instead of coming back here. ANet had their chances, and at least for me they blew it time after time after time.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Gallows.4318

Gallows.4318

Guild wars 2 is a game that launched back in august of 2012. What i remember thinking from back then wasn’t the glitches and bugs that all games have but the amount of content it had. The game brought tons of maps right from the start, spvp arenas, wvw and dungeons. For me, it’s quest delivery system was a treat and the gameplay was very different from usual trinity and fun.
For all of this I paid 50€.
After launch they worked on fixing bugs, changing what needed to be changed, improving here and there to make the game work better. Changes like the achievement points menu and the wallet were most welcomed.

But the content never stopped and since the beginning they added:
-Halloween’s Mad King
-Wintersday
-Fractals
-Spirit watch spvp map
-New Guild content (bounty, rush, upgrades, etc)
-Super Adventure Box 1 and 2
-Southsun Cove map
-Crab toss activity
-Dragon bash with moa racing woot
-Bazaar of the Four Winds and new aetherblade retreat dungeon
-wvw ranks
-Belcher’s Bluff activity
-Sanctum sprint activity
-Skyhammer spvp map
-Southsun survival activity
-Queen’s Jubilee (Crown pavilion, one of my favourites)
-Clockwork Chaos (scarlet invades)
-Tequatl boss
-New Twilight Arbor path
-wvw season
-Tower of nightmares instance
-Origins of madness worm and marionette bosses
-New skins, minis, armour, weapons

This provided loads of new pve and some new interest for spvp and wvw (although you clearly favour pve anet…why u no love pvp? whyyyyy?)

For all of this extra stuff I paid….0€!

Personally I like wvw. Albeit it being the same thing over and over again, grabbing the same keeps and towers, it is pvp, it is not scripted and situations are always new. I get to have small fights, medium fights, zerg fights and blobs fights and it’s all different. So I keep doing it. I do some daily spvp and it’s also fun and different every time. You get to try out builds and different characters.

Bottom line, I’ve got 2000+ hours into this game that I paid 50€ for and they keep putting out stuff. In my view, they owe me nothing so I’ll ask for nothing and will happily take whatever else they decide to add to the game.

THAT’S WHAT GW2 feels like!

Yep, I agree. I like GW2 a lot and it’s certainly been more fun for me than any mmo ever. I do think I’ve played or tried most MMO’s since Everquest.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: yorick.1305

yorick.1305

A game that has yet to be let of it’s leash.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

To me GW2 feels like a game that’s still not finished yet.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

I see people are mentioning Skyrim in relation to GW2 in terms of value for money. I’ve put in nearly 600 hours on Skyrim and probably double that in Gw2.

The conclusion? I got two bloody good games for £40 each.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

(edited by uknortherner.2670)

What GW2 feels like.

Vayne.8563

I agree with this. I thought the game would be mostly finished by the one year mark, but clearly, there’s still a ways to go.

But unfinished doesn’t have to mean unfun.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

To be perfectly honest, I enjoyed Assassin’s Creed II a lot more than GW2. To compare a single-player game with a mmorpg though..? The mmorpg will always have more hours since it has interaction with other players. That doesn’t mean that it has a better value than the single-player game. Most of GW2’s explorable maps seem like a copy-paste of hearts.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

(edited by Sirendor.1394)

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

So you extremely enjoyed kitten game for 11 months…….

What’s the problem here exactly?

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I would think that an MMO that felt like it was finished would be a bad thing.

#TeamJadeQuarry

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

I would think that an MMO that felt like it was finished would be a bad thing.

Thats a content issue you talking about. Im talking about a perception one. The UI layout and recycled icons, the “missing” emotes, the rather pathetic amount of skills available to the classes (compared to gw1 proph at same age), and all the needed QoL changes are the kinds of things Im talking about. Oh and all the clipping problems, performance troubles, server issues etc.

It gives the perception that the game has only just come out of beta and core “features” are still to be implemented (lfg took how long?).

What GW2 feels like.

Vayne.8563

To be perfectly honest, I enjoyed Assassin’s Creed II a lot more than GW2. To compare a single-player game with a mmorpg though..? The mmorpg will always have more hours since it has interaction with other players. That doesn’t mean that it has a better value than the single-player game. Most of GW2’s explorable maps seem like a copy-paste of hearts.

Except hearts were never supposed to be the mainstay of this game. Every zone was originally supposed to be more like Orr. Anet added hearts very late in the piece, not to replace traditional questing, but to keep people in areas where quests occur. That’s why most hearts can be completed doing quests in that area, without even attempting the heart.

There are 300 or so hearts in this game…there are over 1500 dynamic events. That’s the meat of this game and they’re definitely not just copied over from zone to zone…at least not all of them.

Though like all games…there are so many quests you can have. Kill this, collect that, protect the other thing….that’s what quests come down to, no matter how you skin them. I think one writer listed five different quest types and pretty much all quests are a variation on those. I’ll try to find the reference.

What GW2 feels like.

Sirendor.1394

For ordinary quests that might be true, but a lot of games manage to bring more random variation in their “quests”. Solving puzzles, intriguing story elements, climbing, undercover missions, venturing, criminality and so much more.

In Guild Wars 2, the story is rather bleak for most zones, and hearts really don’t give you the feel of an immersive world, rather they make it way too structured and unimpressive and are much like dailies in that respect. Dynamic events are not really as adventurous and epic as I would wish them either.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

It depends upon who you’re talking to. Lots of long time Elder Scrolls fans have mixed (or even negative) feelings about ESO simply because it’s an MMO period … they feel the multi-player aspect will diminish the immersion that they have come to love. That’s kind of like saying you don’t think football will be successful because you happen to like basketball.

Other beta testers have been quite positive about the game … they like the way it appears to be geared toward expansive PvP and they like the graphics compared to some of the other new games coming out soon. Almost everyone seems to be concerned about one aspect or another of the combat mechanics, but there is still time to refine them prior to launch so nobody really knows what to expect.

The one thing I can say with assurance is that not everyone is looking ahead to ESO with the same set of desires and expectations. Some of us will be pleased, some of us not … but there are a lot of people quite dissatisfied with GW2 and ANet is likely to lose a lot of players to either ESO, WS, or EQN over the next few months. I loved the Elder Scroll series but in all honesty I would almost for sure have stuck with GW2 if ANet hadn’t messed up WvW so badly. As it is, I will give ESO every chance in the world based upon its emphasis on RvR (ZeniMax has quite obviously been paying attention to all the things players don’t like about WvW), and if that doesn’t work for me I will look elsewhere instead of coming back here. ANet had their chances, and at least for me they blew it time after time after time.

Keeping in mind that it’s still beta. From my time playing the beta I’ve noted the following:

I made a nord and when making the character, the skin tones were pretty much the same (you could select different skin tones but it didn’t change the actual skin tone of the character). No mouth shape option. No way to change the eyebrow angle. The voices to choose from sounded like they were done by the same person who did a poor job at actually changing their voice.

Graphics, I would say the graphics sit somewhere between Morrowind and Oblivion and I had it set to the highest setting. My computer runs Skyrim smoothly on Ultra with HD graphic mods. The view distance was rather short.

Quest mechanics are traditional MMO. Talk to npc to pick up quest, carry out quest, talk to npc again to claim reward.

The combat mechanics are very clumsy, especially when compared to GW2.

Over-all, they have a lot of work to do if they expect it to be better than current MMOs. With just a short time left before release, I have my doubts. It’s a traditional (WoW style) MMO with a TES face that is only skin deep.

I think MMO fans will get bored after a couple months and TES fans will be disappointed.

What GW2 feels like.

Gibson.4036

To compare a single-player game with a mmorpg though..?

I agree, I wouldn’t normally compare the two because they are pretty different animals. Someone said GW2 had the content of 10-15 single player games, though, which got me thinking about that.

What GW2 feels like.

Cactus.2710

Keeping in mind that it’s still beta. From my time playing the beta I’ve noted the following:

I made a nord and when making the character, the skin tones were pretty much the same (you could select different skin tones but it didn’t change the actual skin tone of the character). No mouth shape option. No way to change the eyebrow angle. The voices to choose from sounded like they were done by the same person who did a poor job at actually changing their voice.

Graphics, I would say the graphics sit somewhere between Morrowind and Oblivion and I had it set to the highest setting. My computer runs Skyrim smoothly on Ultra with HD graphic mods. The view distance was rather short.

Quest mechanics are traditional MMO. Talk to npc to pick up quest, carry out quest, talk to npc again to claim reward.

The combat mechanics are very clumsy, especially when compared to GW2.

Over-all, they have a lot of work to do if they expect it to be better than current MMOs. With just a short time left before release, I have my doubts. It’s a traditional (WoW style) MMO with a TES face that is only skin deep.

I think MMO fans will get bored after a couple months and TES fans will be disappointed.

Did you have a chance to play the large-scale open-world PvP? I think they just call it The Alliance Wars. I really enjoyed Oblivion and Skyrim, but my major interest in ESO is for the PvP. WvW was the reason I left Rift (Conquest sucks so hard … worse even than WvW), but I’m still looking for a game with decent graphics that does RvRvR properly … ability to handle LOTS of players without glitches, intelligently crafted strategy-based warfare involving mass battles as well as sabotage and small squad skirmishes, lots of depth and breadth in the way points can be scored, instanced matches that can be run in parallel during peak hours, etc. I have no clue whether ESO will provide that or not, but I know that WvW certainly does not (which is a criminal shame since it could if the devs were so inclined). So I’d honestly appreciate your or anyone else’s impressions of ESO in that regard.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

What GW2 feels like.

Sirendor.1394

Well well! Edge of the mists is not being kept for the great feature patch???? What could be in it that is better and bigger? Speculations?

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Well well! Edge of the mists is not being kept for the great feature patch???? What could be in it that is better and bigger? Speculations?

A decent WvW map?

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.