What Will Community Do If HoT Is Not Xpac

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

I just wonder how community will go if they announce some thing really lame at PAX. Can not imagine the rage.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

There are those of us that have not allowed our hopes to be raised. That way we won’t be disappointed but may be happily surprised. To answer your question though – People were raging before, having them continue to do so afterwards would be no different.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Probably just carry on as usual

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

Not care. Be amazed at the power of apathy.

Posted by: Brother Dulfite.5793

Brother Dulfite.5793

For the longest time, I have gotten myself used to the fact that there won’t be expansions/campaigns like the glory days of gw1. I enjoy living story, but I have tried to ignore 2 things: 1) The logic people use when they talk about 2 weeks of development essentially meaning 2 hours of more gameplay (which is not much at all over the span of 6 months, let alone 2.5 years) and 2) The amount of people working at Anet with only 2 hours of content every 2-4 weeks means something seriously fishy is going on. However, now I can’t ignore these things anymore because Anet is hyping up what is coming next so much (especially with the Twitch thing). I FULLY expect there to be an expansion/campaign/update (on steroids) and if there isn’t, if this is simply some hype for something small I’m going to rage and I have been one of Anets most loyal defenders (except for the whole forcing ls1 to be so dominate by a love story, homosexuality being wrong in many’s eyes aside, the actual obsession the game has with a relationship in general (regardless of it’s morality) makes the whole Scarlet thing seem so much less epic). Season 1 would have been MUCH better if there hadn’t been a love angle imo. But anyway, I support Anet more than most and if there isn’t some massive content/feature announcement in some form or the other I’m going to be very disappointed.

Posted by: Schwarzseher.9873

Schwarzseher.9873

Exept disappointment and unecessary updates to things which were working perfectly fine Im not expecting anything from them. Sorry but 2 Seasons of LS have left open wounds on my love for GW2.
Either its another 2-4h content update or something which looks like EA has done it in 3 days.

Seriously dont hype yourself on this game anymore, it wont pay off.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Community will immediately jump on the next Xpac bandwagon:

“For 100% sure there will be an expansion pack announced in April!”

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Depends on how you define community.

The in game community will most likely just keep enjoying the game and whatever they do announce. So pretty much same old same old.

The caustics on the forums will also do what they do every day – complain, yell and claim to quit the game every 2-3 days. Again, same old same old.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Torches and pitchforks, I’m guessing. Oh. And waves and waves of people threatening to quit, but still trolling the forums.

And after the dust settles?

New predictions of an expansion coming soon.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

Given the undeserved hype for it? Probably laugh.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

If you thought SAB riots were bad.. i couldn’t imagine how people will react if there isn’t anything short of xpac. If it’s another season 3 announcement, many people will have egg on their face. It’s not just this community though, but popular websites outside of the GW2 community that think an xpac is coming. Anet had the chance to kill the rumors, but they didn’t. I hope it doesn’t backfire on them.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

There are those of us that have not allowed our hopes to be raised. That way we won’t be disappointed but may be happily surprised. To answer your question though – People were raging before, having them continue to do so afterwards would be no different.

honestly, my hopes are somewhat high, but i always expect the worst. i’ll probably just sigh really heavily and take a break from the game.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

I don’t need it to be an actual “boxed xpac” or whatever. I just want something new, and for it to be significant. Something of much much greater scope than we’ve seen from the LS so far (preferably containing all the things I’ve ever asked for).

I won’t go as far as having any expectations though. I’ll just wait and see. We’ll know a whole lot more by Saturday.

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

Posted by: nikdik.1934

nikdik.1934

Go to the forums and complain. Every website’s comment section covering HoT’s release will be flooded with angry remarks as well. Yet Gem Store profits will remain high…

I really want it to be an expansion. This game could really benefit from one. If not, I’ll still play. I missed a lot of Living Story chapters that I could catch up on.

(edited by nikdik.1934)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Hope they hint strongly ahead of time. It’s not cheap shipping pitchforks and torches. Even the plastic Halloween kind.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

I don’t have much faith in the behaviour of the forum crowd (Reddit is bit better). They could offer, and deliver, the moon to us and people would still complain by saying that they should have done it sooner. They may also focus on some small part and use it to define all of it (Second feature pack being a port from China or newbie only). They’ll claim that the story is rubbish and that they don’t play it.

In terms of mechanics there would be people claiming that content is too easy and ridiculing those who find it hard (and people who find stuff too difficult but would insult people trying to help them). Also unfair comparisons with GW1 (number of skills mainly).

Also a repeat of SAB fiasco where simple comments from devs unrelated to the subject about SAB not being in this living story season were blown so so much out of proportions.

Compulsory quotes from before the games launch and all comments of the future from devs that were taken as promises and whose follow ups were ignored (mainly precursor crafting).

Allegations of grinding and high RNG with requests for unique content related rewards with apparent comprehension (and then complains of too many currencies also timegates). Add in complains of how gem store releases are holding back wvw releases.

At most a month after release complains of no new permanent content (I don’t like Living Story/Expac was rubbish), Complains that it was too short. Game is stagnant and is dying. I am quiting. We need expacs now or else (just like last 2 years).

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

cry

`
`
`
`
`
``

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

What are you including in the word community?

Forum will be full of whine – logically, since the official forums are where people with problems stop first.

Reddit will have a more balance discussion overall, but also be much less polite.

Players will keep playing regardless. There are things that could be announced that would cause a steep population drop, but I think ANet is smart enough to avoid colossal missteps.

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Probably just carry on as usual

I.e. Rage on the forums.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I will laugh.

Maybe not to everyone’s face, but I’ll still be laughing. Laughing at players and ANet both.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s not really a good question…because it could be an announcement that has a lot of good stuff that isn’t an expansions.

If Anet says we have a new profession and a lot of new skills coming out, plus more weapon choices for each profession, and a redo of the skills acquisition system but they don’t mention the word expansion,. I’m not sure there’ll be a riot.

People have the word expansion in their head. You can expand the game without a “boxed expansion” which is what most people think of when they hear the word expansion.

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

It’s all about “expansion-like content”. Doesn’t matter what they want to call it. The important thing is that it expands the world and the playing experience, and the more it does so, the better.

There will always be people looking for things to complain about. I can’t promise I won’t find anything to take issue with. But I’m sure there will be a lot to be excited about too. I think for the most part we’ll all be fine as long as it’s good, whatever it is.

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Forums community will continue doing what they do best. Whine, complain, generally be a pain and accuse company of lying and not loving them anymore.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

There will be QQ regardless of what they announce, but if it’s not an expansion then there will be a lot of real dissapointment and not-so-real threats of quitting the game. For me, about the only thing that ccould make me quit is them raising the level cap and forcing us to re-gear; this would break the game for me. Otherwise, I have mixed expectations – they shown us that they can deliver good stuff, but at the same time they made some horrid changes along the way, so anything is on the table. In other words, I am hoping for the good stuff but would not be overly surprised to see some very bad changes coming. Not long now…

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

The same thing we do every night, Pinky – try to take over the world!

Necromancer Main

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

To answer this question, we’d need to know the answer to the following question:

What Will HoT Be If HoT Is Not Xpac?

That is not a rhetorical question. There are a lot of ways in which HoT could be something other than a traditional xpac, but where it might still satisfy the people who want one. On the other hand, if ArenaNet has booked the central hall of PAX South to announce Season 3… there will be much eyerolling.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

Nothing. Just keep playing like I always play. Even without an expansion I still have so much left to do, I have for another year of content to go through that I plan to do.

And I have 22,5k AP. But there’s still so much left for me to do I feel like an expansion now would be to soon, a year from now in January 2016 would be the perfect time for an expansion imo, because that’s when I’ll ’’finish’’ the game and be done with everything there is to do.

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

Nothing. Just keep playing like I always play. Even without an expansion I still have so much left to do, I have for another year of content to go through that I plan to do.

And I have 22,5k AP. But there’s still so much left for me to do I feel like an expansion now would be to soon, a year from now in January 2016 would be the perfect time for an expansion imo, because that’s when I’ll ’’finish’’ the game and be done with everything there is to do.

Really? How do you have “a year of content”? You mean REPLAY content for achievments/collections?
I’m just curious what content i’m missing, since I only have 10,2 k ap, but already seen everything way to many times

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

I don’t speak for the community as a whole but if HoT isn’t an expansion, I’d probably be a bit sad, but I’d probably hear the details of what Heart of Thorns entails for the game before I make any more comments on the matter. Assuming Heart of Thorns is a brand new season of Living Story, I’d be at least happy to know that I save money on buying a full expansion as all it would take to enjoy it would be just me logging in. If it IS an expansion, least I can tell immediately that there would be major content that comes with it.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

(edited by Malkavian.4516)

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Im certain that it wont be a traditional expansion pack and that it won’t add even half as much as the WoW expansions.
I won’t be shocked.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

If it turns out not to be an expansion, the only people to get angry are the ones who believe everything they hear. At this point nothing has been announced so there’s no reason to get mad if they don’t announce what you were hoping for.

I’m excited. I have no idea what this Heart of Thorns is about and I’m not even going to try and guess. That way I’m not disappointed. Whatever it is I’m sure it will be awesome.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

Really? How do you have “a year of content”? You mean REPLAY content for achievments/collections?
I’m just curious what content i’m missing, since I only have 10,2 k ap, but already seen everything way to many times

No I never replay content I only do it once.

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

Meh. I only dusted off my copy and got back in the game incase it might be an expansion. If it’s just more LS then back to the shelf GW2 goes. The LS is pretty good and all that, but it’s not enough to keep me logging in.

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Dedlaw.9130

No I never replay content I only do it once.

I call BS on your 22k AP then

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

Honestly, I wish ArenaNet would just come out and say “It’s not an expansion.” so people would shut up, but that wouldn’t be a good business move.

I wont speculate on whether or not it is an expansion. If it is, then great. If it isn’t, then it’s business as usual and the game will just chug along like normal. Either way, we’ll find out soon enough what all the fuss is about.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Yargesh.4965

Honestly, I wish ArenaNet would just come out and say “It’s not an expansion.” so people would shut up, but that wouldn’t be a good business move.

I wont speculate on whether or not it is an expansion. If it is, then great. If it isn’t, then it’s business as usual and the game will just chug along like normal. Either way, we’ll find out soon enough what all the fuss is about.

They will come out and say on Saturday. Why say anything now?

Zera Allimatti.2541

Yes, I know. I just said that… did you only read the first sentence and immediately reply? It really wasn’t that much more reading. Come on.

Posted by: Photonman.6241

Photonman.6241

I for one just found out about this last week when I came back. This is totally awesome. Can’t wait til Saturday! I find it extremely unlikely that it won’t be big news, even if it’s not an x-pac. Love you Arenanet!

Yargesh.4965

Yes, I know. I just said that… did you only read the first sentence and immediately reply? It really wasn’t that much more reading. Come on.

Yes I read it and the experience was not enjoyable. Come on.

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

I just wonder how community will go if they announce some thing really lame at PAX. Can not imagine the rage.

Probably go farm some more mats to continue working on my collection of ascended weapons? Gripe on the forum if the lameness is relevant to something I have strong opinions about?

Wouldn’t be surprised, in any case. If they didn’t break the game worse than what weirdness the NPE and stupidity the trait locking’s done though, meh…I’m still here as it is. I don’t expect good things anymore.

So when they don’t come, its just a normal day. When they do, yay, good things, how unusual!

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: Exroyal.9053

Exroyal.9053

Although ANet haven’t said a single word about what it will be, what we can expect etc etc, if they don’t announce an expansion, or something expansion-y you can come to these forums on the 24th after the announcement and if you put your head against the screen, you can actually feel the universal rage.

Me personally i’ll carry on as usual like i did with Living Story, log on, complete missions, maybe some interesting achievments, log off and wait for next release.

Dedlaw.9130

It’s not a good business move either to let hype grow when you know the news will be a disappointment in comparisson

Dedlaw.9130

put your head against the screen, you can actually feel the universal rage.

I wouldn’t reccomend it. Think of the long-term consequences of being directly exposed to all that rage

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

put your head against the screen, you can actually feel the universal rage.

I wouldn’t reccomend it. Think of the long-term consequences of being directly exposed to all that rage

One might contract Space Aids. And then require these kind creatures to protect you.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/terriblesecret

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

Keep farming Silverwastes and playing the game, while posting my negative opinions of ANet on other forum boards, as to avoid the ban stick. What we have already, for free, s massive, so it’ll be what it’ll be and i’ll keep throwing money at them in hopes they do something cool.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Zera Allimatti.2541

Yes I read it and the experience was not enjoyable. Come on.

Are you sure? You kind of just repeated what I said, which is fine but all you had to say was “I agree with you” or “This”. Should I have tossed in pointless speculations for your enjoyment? There’s plenty of that elsewhere on the forum with the various discussions going on. No enjoyment was meant from anything I said. It is not good to look for something that isn’t there to begin with.

Zera Allimatti.2541

It’s not a good business move either to let hype grow when you know the news will be a disappointment in comparisson

As the saying goes, there’s no such thing as bad publicity. At the very least, the hype is creating attention for the game, even if I don’t agree with the hype. Even though I think it’s silly for people to get their hopes up, I still think it’s great that people are at least interested in what is just a few days away. I’m excited to see what changes are coming, but I’m not holding my breath, either.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Depends a bit on what it is instead. My first reaction would be an angry one.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Torches and pitchforks, I’m guessing. Oh. And waves and waves of people threatening to quit, but still trolling the forums.

Yeah .. buy torches and pitchforks now .. i bet you can earn a lot of gold with them when selling later

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Dedlaw.9130

As the saying goes, there’s no such thing as bad publicity. At the very least, the hype is creating attention for the game, even if I don’t agree with the hype. Even though I think it’s silly for people to get their hopes up, I still think it’s great that people are at least interested in what is just a few days away. I’m excited to see what changes are coming, but I’m not holding my breath, either.

Fair enough.

I’m pretty much in the same boat. As the saying goes “Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.”