What do you think is overall the best profession, and why?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

After playing on my Elementalist alt all week, I have to conclude that Mesmer (main) is king

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: ebrown.8193

ebrown.8193

Elementalist is awesome as kittens in PVE as well. (dual dagger earth/water/air F T W )

I see a LOT of complaints about the elementalist.
1. Dont face tank. DODGE !
2. Dont use a staff.
3. Dont use fire.
4. Take DEFENSIVE skills and use them.
5. O M G Toughness!
6. OMG Vitality ! YAY more HP!
7. Swap elements. Water does offer some healing, its small but it just may save your life.
( pass it on ! )

Ewwww. I can’t play that way. Daggers just aren’t fun for me as an ele. Elementalist was my first profession, and only after I started playing my ranger and other classes did I start to find true joy in playing.

To the OP: Ranger, followed closely by necro.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I’d say Guardians since they get great support and survivability for free, while other professions have to trait to be serious in the role they want to do. And also, it’s not a “jack-of-all-trades” kind of deal because when they trait for support or survivability they are the best. (I think this is going to be a serious balance issue in the long-term.)

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

Guardian is easily the most balanced profession.
Warrior is also very good with a strong set of abilities.

The others:
While a lot of people don’t like it, the Engineer is the most diverse.
Necro is the most underrated.
Ranger may be the strongest pve class and the weakest pvp.

Thief and Mesmer excel at 1v1 pvp encounters.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

Warriors have ridiculous and overpowered damage.

Posted by: oflow.2157

oflow.2157

3. Dont use fire.

worst advice evar. you have to use all the attunements fire is a good chunk of your damage since you get damage bonuses on burning targets.

Posted by: Lithos.9560

Lithos.9560

The thing is that at endgame, warriors will have anywhere from 5,ooo-10,000 more health than a Guardian. I think this is kind of crazy, and makes the Warrior slightly better than the Guardian.

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

Warrior, why you ask?

best tank class: high armor high hp
best ranger class: get a rifle and do 20k hits, i heard the pets from rangers wants to tag alone with warriors now.
best melee class: not even thief cant handle this beast

warrior the versatile, the mighty, the king, the best.

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Volomon.9147

Volomon.9147

It would have to be Guardian. Warriors have more health, but if you took the time and gave it a thought you’d realize why. It’s because a Guardian can potential fill their life twice easily. It’s what I do.

Guardians might start out with 15k, but when you can fill that twice (and probably then some) that becomes 45k. Where as the Warrior might have 20k or if hes totally topped up 36k (max buff/wvw) and you can fill it just a tad bit when you go to heal. Really as a Guardian you should shoot for 20k minimum life.

Not to mention the Guardian is constantly regenerating.

Now sit down and ask yourself why everyone is basing best off of life and survival. It’s because every kitten mob at level 80 hits to hard and has to many instant kills. So ever think maybe the game is just a bit unbalanced in some areas?

(edited by Volomon.9147)

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

Easily Guardians and Warriors, both are rather easy to play, very durable, can dish out a ton of damage and over nice control abilities.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I’m not sure about best but I have the most fun, PvP or PvE on my thief. Thieves have a lot of viable build options that I usually don’t get on my rogue classes in this game. If I’m looking at pure damage I’ll play the warrior as its core DPS builds tend to have actual options outside the once in a blue moon burst, but for condition damage, support, an survivability I just love the way thief builds for those purposes tend to feel a lot different than other classes in terms of continuous precision timing and reacting to the randomness of steal in stead of dropping a field every time the CD is up like the more standard supporty builds.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Engineer. We’re versatile and semi-durable. We’re like what the elementalists were supposed to be =D

Posted by: evasionmoon.1345

evasionmoon.1345

Love my necromancer and my pets, survival is rather great with necromancer also:)

Posted by: evasionmoon.1345

evasionmoon.1345

It would have to be Guardian. Warriors have more health, but if you took the time and gave it a thought you’d realize why. It’s because a Guardian can potential fill their life twice easily. It’s what I do.

Guardians might start out with 15k, but when you can fill that twice (and probably then some) that becomes 45k. Where as the Warrior might have 20k or if hes totally topped up 36k (max buff/wvw) and you can fill it just a tad bit when you go to heal. Really as a Guardian you should shoot for 20k minimum life.

Now sit down and ask yourself why everyone is basing best off of life and survival. It’s because every kitten mob at level 80 hits to hard and has to many instant kills. So ever think maybe the game is just a bit unbalanced in some areas?

I say no its not that hard, i can easly survive as necromancer 26k health no unbalance i think its even to easy sometimes and i see warriors many times die while i have to revive them im doing most of time the kiting the boss becouse warrior dies alot when tanking.

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I just wanted your opinions on what YOU think is overall the best profession in the game and why? Please don’t think bad of me or anything for asking this LOL, I understand that everything depends upon the player, not the profession. But what profession do you guys think is overall the best, and why?

The Best Proffesion is IN FACT the profession you Love and are most good at! =)

Posted by: Volomon.9147

Volomon.9147

I say no its not that hard, i can easly survive as necromancer 26k health no unbalance i think its even to easy sometimes and i see warriors many times die while i have to revive them im doing most of time the kiting the boss becouse warrior dies alot when tanking.

Ya necros have the advantage of forms. Not to mention necros have the second highest life in the game after Warriors. So to say you find it easy I imagine so. Once again based on life. Unfortunately not ever other class has the ability to tank in alternate forms plus have the life of a warrior. Sorry to shoot your high horse in the leg.

Personally I would rank survival Guardian, Necro, then Warrior. Also most if not nearly all warriors are not “tank” specced.

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

I love my engineer.

Great burst, awesome utility, great survivability through dodge, a multitude of heals, condition removals, immobs, knockbacks and all that.

I also like necro, high armor, high damage and high base health.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Lithos.9560

That was a good point made about how Guardians do regenerate health while warriors really don’t. I think then what separates Guardians and Warriors the most is the fact that Warriors are actually pretty decent when it comes to range, and Guardians can’t really go range with their slow moving orbs that barely do any damage. What do you guys think really makes these two professions significantly different from each other?

Posted by: Ludacrits.3857

Ludacrits.3857

Tried them all, took guardian, warrior and mesmer to 30s. Then I made a human female thief….and never looked back. Steath, yes plz…ability to cover lots of ground very fast, yes plz, able to blow someone up in a few seconds, yes plz, able to get out of about any sticky situation, sure. She’s just too kitten much fun. Guardian is easy mode, I prefer a challenge with high reward. Warrior is fun. It all depends on your playstyle. Least fun for me was engineer, ranger and mesmer.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

2. Dont use a staff.
3. Dont use fire.
5. O M G Toughness!
6. OMG Vitality ! YAY more HP!
7. Water does offer some healing, its small but it just may save your life.

I’m using an ele and here’s some of my thoughts on what you just wrote here
1. Staff is the best one for long range and condition damage with fire. An ele with a staff can beat an ele with a dagger, even though I prefer the daggers because they require you to do more moving around and give you a lesser range.
3. Fire is the most damaging spec that you can take. I wanted a pure damager so I went with air and fire, well fire beats air on every mob and player that doesn’t have resistance to fire. It’s all about how you play though, because earth will offer you nice AoE damage and water can offer you immortality.
5-6. Don’t EVER gear a squishy for toughness and vitality. You’re not a tank and you’re not going to tank. Go for precision, condition damage and critical chance if you want to be inflicting real damage, for magic find if you’re going to use the char for hording money in PvE and dungeons.
7. If you level Water properly it can offer you more than just a small heal. If you’re running with a group in WvW and PvP, you can essentially make sure that people around you and you are unkillable.

Mirta.5029

Ya necros have the advantage of forms. Not to mention necros have the second highest life in the game after Warriors. So to say you find it easy I imagine so. Once again based on life. Unfortunately not ever other class has the ability to tank in alternate forms plus have the life of a warrior. Sorry to shoot your high horse in the leg.

Personally I would rank survival Guardian, Necro, then Warrior. Also most if not nearly all warriors are not “tank” specced.

It depends how you gear them too. My warrior geared with no vitality has more life than my necro with no vitality. Every time I enter a dungeon as a necro warriors for some reason imagine that I can tank. Squishy armor, no toughness and vitality makes me a bad tank. I can’t take hits. I can however hold the mobs off for a few minutes if all of the party feels like running with my pets (I love my pets) and I can inflict a nice amount of damage in my litch form (faw ability in the whole game), however if enemies would get too close to my person (and that happens when my pets expire quicker than I can re-call, or newly recalled pets decide not to hold aggro) I’m dead. Not a well specked warrior though.
I did spec my necro for pet and shadow form damage though. There are so much more damaging builds than that, still a necro, if you get close enough is squishy.

Lithos.9560

How does the melee dps for the Warrior and Guardian compare/contrast.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

What answer you get depends on where you ask it

According to the class forums
Every class but mine is OP

According to the PvP forum
Mesmer and Thief are the cancer that is killing GW2, nerf them

According to the general forum
Whatever I’m playing is strongest.

Personally I’d say it’s a toss up between mesmer and guardian.

Guardian has defensive tricks up the wazoo; controls, barriers, healling and has a good set of utilities – reflects, pulls, roots, blocks etc. and to top it all off most their defensive stuff affects their allies making them highly desirable in parties.

Mesmer has tricks coming out there ears. If there’s a situation, mesmer has a solution, the only thing keeping them being completely OP is the fact their damage output is back-loaded, making them slow farmers, and they lack indirect fire capabilities (Making them borderline useless in laying sieges in WvW)

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

Pre-CU Jedi. Those things were bad kitten

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Which ever one works for you is the best. Different people have different playstyles, you’ve got to find one that works with how you think and react.

I love my D/D Elementalist (but please, use fire. Seriously, use fire. Just don’t use only fire), but she does die at the drop of a hat and Eles don’t get any traits that reduce falling damage like other professions do. It’s a much more strategic approach to combat that my warrior.

In some ways I think GW2 goes back past the WoW trinity to the old D&D roles:

Elementalist, Mesmer: Work smarter, not harder.
Warrior, Guardian: Not smarter, hit harder.
Thief: Hide smarter, steal hardware.
Necro: Summon faster, get- ow! oh geeze! Fine, I’ll start fleeing! Quit hitting me already!

;)

paraphrased from http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1057

Posted by: Assassinin.4963

Assassinin.4963

Yeah I have heard quite a bit of necromancers…I have heard they have excellent survivability, but how is there DPS?

I have 5 lvl 80 professions as comparison. At the start, I have no favourable opinion of necromancers thinking that it is not likely to be high dps when its dmg is dot-based and its staff/mark attack is not direct attack (it has to be triggered by foes). I level it just for the variety of play style.

Now that I have experienced going through all the 5 different profession, I have a pleasant surprise finding that my necromancers is the best tank of the lots. AND the one thing that surprised me the most is …………….. my necromancer can downed mobs faster than any of my 4 other professions which effectively meant that it has the highest DPS. It is just mind boggling and unbelieveable. But I am not complaining.

Lithos.9560

How is the Guardian’s DPS?

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

How is the Guardian’s DPS?

Not as good as a Warriors. Then again nothing is as good as a Warrior’s. Not even close.

Lithos.9560

What would you desire more to have in your group: a Guardian or a Warrior?

Mirta.5029

What would you desire more to have in your group: a Guardian or a Warrior?

Guardians can be pretty kitten good tanks, so I choose a guardian.

Posted by: Michelangelo.6970

Michelangelo.6970

No, he means profession.

Classes are called professions! Quests are called Hearts! Public Quests/Rifts are called Dynamic Events! Battlegrounds are called Scenarios! RvR is called WvW! Buffs are called Boons! Debuffs are called Conditions! Professions are called who the juvenile domesticated cat knows!

My god this game is revolutionary.

Actually there are two kind of “quests”. There’s Tasks and Dynamic Events. “Hearts” is what players call Tasks…

Lithos.9560

Can a Guardian do melee dps like a warrior can, or even better?

Lithos.9560

So, in your opinion, is the Guardian good at all for dps? Like, is their dps better than any other profession, and if so, which one(s)?

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

‘Best’ is a hard one to zero in on. I have 5 different professions at 80. If I had to pick one for a fight I needed to win, it would be the Guardian. If I want to have a ton of fun, I play my Mesmer. When I get in touch with my inner kite, I turn to my ranger. All have strengths and weaknesses and all can be played at the top of the game. Some need a lot more love from Anet right now than others. But, overall, I don’t believe there is an overall best profession.

Posted by: Addice.3852

Addice.3852

2. Dont use a staff.
3. Dont use fire.
7. Swap elements. Water does offer some healing, its small but it just may save your life.
( pass it on ! )

Don’t use a staff? What? If you are earth and water spec how can you ignore staff especially in dungeons? Healing Rain is amazing. My rotation is earth 2 4 5 2 then fire 2 3 5 2 and unless people need heals i repeat this rotation. I will use static field if I need to.

Don’t use fire? That is just crazy. How can you neglect a whole attunement?

Warrior might be the best class. Highest health pool, high defense, high damage even when using range.

Posted by: deeclie.3462

deeclie.3462

Necros for me
very hardy prof. :3 If correctly place skills and traits

Lithos.9560

‘Best’ is a hard one to zero in on. I have 5 different professions at 80. If I had to pick one for a fight I needed to win, it would be the Guardian. If I want to have a ton of fun, I play my Mesmer. When I get in touch with my inner kite, I turn to my ranger. All have strengths and weaknesses and all can be played at the top of the game. Some need a lot more love from Anet right now than others. But, overall, I don’t believe there is an overall best profession.

So, why would you choose a Guardian?

Posted by: wiazabi.2549

wiazabi.2549

1. Warrior
    It’s the most finished class of em all with alot of builds avaible. You can tailor the class to what you yourself want, 1 of the 2 classes that can change their class ability to suit what they want it to do not stuck with crap like necr….ops got off topic, high health, best armor, great dmg, weapon skills have different uniqe skills like GS unlike necro staff 1 SLOWWW projectile and 4 marks.. ops happend again, ranged is viable and isnt balanced around having a pet so also big dmg numbers.
  1. Guardian
    Reasons already said by previous people.

Posted by: Artemis Noir.3804

Artemis Noir.3804

“Best” is always going to be subjective and depend on individual preference.

My personal favourite is the Elementalist, it never gets boring.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Thief is the “smoothest” class I played.
Little to no abilities that break action combat such as lock-in-place or cast-time skills, very cohesive skills and plays very naturally.

I like the Warrior more as an archetype, but it’s the clunkiest and most action-breaking class due to frequent long skill cast times, channeled+locked sprint (this one has to be the worst skill design I’ve seen in MMOs), the “mobility” weapon aka GS based on a lock-in-place ability…
Not to mention Guardian’s Hammer skill 1. I don’t even want to talk about that.

Anet, you believe Warrior is the best class you made, but everyone else say the class is clunky, boring, gimmicky.
Thief is your best creation.

I dream of a day where Anet does away with the cheap, obsolete “cooldown” mechanic and applies a Thief-like resource system to all classes.

The freedom of using the skill you want when you want is unmatched sorry
Resource management is also much better than spamming things off cooldown.

Posted by: projectcedric.6951

projectcedric.6951

I think Thief or Mesmer. Cloak heal, cloak vulnerability, cloak everything. Wtf, man! And clone gank!

Warriors are ok. Those who try to up their stats and gears to the max and then just stand there, tank the damage, are just playing it wrong.

Posted by: Kevinanderson.1835

Kevinanderson.1835

Just keepin’ it real …. Engi’s for the win.

“if it ain’t rough, It sure ain’t right ! "

Posted by: Groovy.6749

Groovy.6749

I second projectcedric.

I love my thief and my mesmer. Stealth makes exploration a bliss, and vanishing from my enemies is so much fun before lashing out full DPS on them out of the blue. Top marks lol.
And the mesmer ? Well who can not love (a) the great control it affords in term of aggro / or confusing the enemy player and (b) butterflies to the FACE !!!!

Recently started a warrior “for the lulz” since there was/is quite a lot of QQ surrounding that class, but at the moment am still learning it and don’t feel really in control of the character yet so it’s hard to judge its efficiency.

If I ever make another toon (oh my god what is happening to me, I swore to myself three toons would be my final limit), then it would be an engineer.
Honestly out of the remaining classes, it seems like the one that’s the most unusual left to play AKA “would you like some mine for breakfast ?”

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

Stop comparing guardian’s dps with the warrior’s. It is not even slightly close. If u plan to make a guardian just to play it as a dps, I will save u from ur misery with my advice – better just roll a kittening warrior.

Posted by: Leon Derge.5239

Leon Derge.5239

I’ve noticed a few people saying Guardians are bad because of a low health pool. I’d say that, if they did have the health of a warrior, they’d be grossly overpowered.

Guardians have among the highest defenses in the game. Between Aegis, Protection, self-healing, and our Virtues we can stay up for a very long time even with a low health pool. You can argue that condition damage would hurt us with this low health pool, but because of how many anti-condition tools we have available to us I’d say condition damage isn’t an issue as a Guardian.

Plus, higher health pools aren’t necessarily good because they’re usually harder to heal through. I’d rather have good defenses and condition removal then a large health pool.

Guardian survivability is great, if not amazing.

As far as best profession goes, I’d say either Guardian or Warrior as my personal favorite. But it’s personal preference. And I already kind of listed one of my reasons above for my Guardian. :P

“The path of the Guardian is not one to be taken lightly…”

-Rayn Brightclaw, Tarnished Coast

(edited by Leon Derge.5239)

Posted by: Josh P.1296

Josh P.1296

Mesmer and ele to rule them all!

Illucéption – Mesmer
Diamond Story – Elementalist
[TSym] Tac Sym

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Engineer is the best. Needs a fat nerf.

Posted by: Ping.5739

Ping.5739

WvW, definitely thief and mesmer.
PvE, whatever you like but if you are ranger, you will have problem controlling aggro.

This useless bar doesn’t make you awesome. However, stuff above does.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Guardian or Warrior, because Anet likes them.

Lithos.9560

How are the Guardian’s ranged abilities?