Daelin.6782

Lol such first world problems on this thread :P

11:08 PM on the 15th of April 2014, in GMT +5:30

I think I’ll wake up tomorrow and set it to patch before going to work xD

When will the patch go live?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Gotta love being in Australia, I love my 3am updates!

What is it like to live in the future?

Are there hover-boards?

Why, yes. Yes, there are.

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

Posted by: kitsuneshoujo.5734

kitsuneshoujo.5734

sometimes, I am very ashamed to be european… like at the moment.

Never be ashamed of being a european
Remember we civilized the world
;)

If by civilized you mean subjugated and forced a religion on indigenous cultures, then you are correct. :P

I suspect the patch will happen around 3pm est.

Posted by: tantibus.1986

tantibus.1986

wtf going on? its 1:33 pm EST yet no patch

It will be 3 pm normally for a new patch on the East Coast!

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

Well at least I had studying and an exam today/yesteday to help pass the time before the patch is released. Maybe I’ll hit the gym for a bit and hopefully it’ll be on when I get back.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

it’s surely annoying, the patch is gonna hit around 21:00 and i am home at 17:00 >_<
i can understand the time difference and can’t really blame them, it’s just something that makes me a bit impatient the moment i am home.

Make yourself a nice dinner, call some friends or family you haven’t talked to in some time, catch up on that book you got for Christmas and have been meaning to read, or whatever, you get the point. Then the patch will be there before you know it.

not gonna work, the only thing that can distract me long enough is something more interactive and after a hard day’s work that’s the last thing on my mind :P

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

This update is now 20 hours late.

and yes, I converted the timezones, it is still 20 hours late.

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

They will destroy us all, the sun will never rise again. The patch will come out if we push a moving rock on the road.
the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

3am, tired, headach, cold, hungry. Patch me ANet my body is ready!

Eat something and go to sleep. Your free charges will still be there for you. You have like 35 hours left or so before the offer expires.

I’m here to catch the patch for once to make money, I really couldn’t care less about the 5 free charges other then thinking that they were a nice gesture.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

No it isn’t. It is 10:53 AM April 15th, 2014 Anet office time.

The Burninator

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

They just said they would release it today, not right when today started. Not late.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I’m armed with brownies and sheer determination it’s 2:30am, bring it.

:D
you just made my evening!

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

I’m always baffled by these threads. I know some of you people understand how programming works.
(…)
Even a seemingly insignificant change can have unexpected consequences. One person makes a text field slightly bigger (pets can now have 15-letter names instead of 12!*) and suddenly your whole game crashes.
(…)
Obviously they want to make sure as much of it works as possible, knowing that when they release it into the wild two dozen people will still manage to break something in a way they never anticipated anyway.

What you write is no excuse/reason for not announcing a patch time.

I work in a company were we have to update large production servers from time to time. Of course we have to test it deeply before every patch goes live and of course we have to announce to our customers the exact date, time and estimated “down-time” of every patch a few days in advance.

greetings.

Posted by: Kazefiend.4851

Kazefiend.4851

One thing I liked about Blizzard when I used to play all those eons ago was the way they patched. Downtime happened at like 3 AM for my timezone and it came up (when everything didn’t go wrong) at a reasonable hour.

Posted by: Borghal.1635

Borghal.1635

I’m always baffled by these threads. I know some of you people understand how programming works. So many things are dependent on other things, and you might not even realize change A broke system B until later on – and then you spend hours trying to reproduce the bug so you can fix it. It’s like you’re playing Jenga but some of the blocks are invisible so you don’t realize stuff was balanced on the block you pulled out until it collapses.

Even a seemingly insignificant change can have unexpected consequences. One person makes a text field slightly bigger (pets can now have 15-letter names instead of 12!*) and suddenly your whole game crashes.

Obviously they want to make sure as much of it works as possible, knowing that when they release it into the wild two dozen people will still manage to break something in a way they never anticipated anyway.

*based on a true story.

As a developer myself, I can only say that the customer couldn’t care less about release problems. Ideally any release stuff ought to be ready at least days before release (we all know that hardly happens, but it IS what passes as good practice). An agreement was made, and an agreement must be fulfilled.

In this case, though, Anet made no binding contract, just a simple press announcement. That doesn’t make people less mad though, the only difference is it doesn’t give them any tools to deal with it.

Posted by: Fasalina.6571

Fasalina.6571

Keep your pants on people. You look like headless chickens arguing against a pole.
What the kitten do you want? Is it the 16th yet? Why would ANet care if you have stuff to do in 30 minutes or that you have to go to work. You’re just a small drop in the ocean. They’ll release it when they want to.

Posted by: Hosercow.9405

Hosercow.9405

Keep your pants on people. You look like headless chickens arguing against a pole.

I had to take my pants off…. they were too wet with excitement!!!!

Posted by: Kazefiend.4851

Kazefiend.4851

Your first mistake was assuming I am wearing pants.

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

they released the update last nigh. But similarly to the living world, of you were not logged in during release then you missed it and it will not apply to you.

Thanks for making the 5,286th version of this same thread though OP.

Posted by: EFWinters.5421

EFWinters.5421

Is it just me or does it not seem more logical to release the patch as soon as they get into their offices in the morning? That way they can spend the entire day fixing the myriad of bugs that arrive with all of their patches.

Human Guardian
Fort Aspenwood

Borghal.1635

I already posted it somewhere… if you have a game where the playerbase is roughly equally divided round the globe, treating any announced times and dates as “our office timezone” is bad etiquette. The fairest thing would be to make use of noon GMT/UTC so everyone gets it the same day, or, at the very least, don’t say “release will be AT x day” when it simply isn’t true for a lot of the people reading it.

Posted by: Eveliina.8619

Eveliina.8619

I’m always baffled by these threads. I know some of you people understand how programming works.
(…)
(…)

What you write is no excuse/reason for not announcing a patch time.

I work in a company were we have to update large production servers from time to time. Of course we have to test it deeply before every patch goes live and of course we have to announce to our customers the exact date, time and estimated “down-time” of every patch a few days in advance.

greetings.

There is slight difference with this game and company’s production server updates. Of course, your Company is telling another Company exact date, time and estimate “down-time” of every patch a few days in advance. They are making money for that program, or it is helping them to make money.

This game is something for amusement, not for making money for living in rl. So Anet don’t need to tell anything when that update will come. It does not affect anybody elses business.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I’m always baffled by these threads. I know some of you people understand how programming works. So many things are dependent on other things, and you might not even realize change A broke system B until later on – and then you spend hours trying to reproduce the bug so you can fix it. It’s like you’re playing Jenga but some of the blocks are invisible so you don’t realize stuff was balanced on the block you pulled out until it collapses.

*based on a true story.

Two reasons for threads like these…

1) Trying to start drama…
2) Poking fun at said attempt to start drama.

Patch will get here when it gets here.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Borghal.1635

There is slight difference with this game and company’s production server updates. Of course, your Company is telling another Company exact date, time and estimate “down-time” of every patch a few days in advance. They are making money for that program, or it is helping them to make money.

This game is something for amusement, not for making money for living in rl. So Anet don’t need to tell anything when that update will come. It does not affect anybody elses business.

That’s a baaaad argument. So if direct profit is not on the line, business etiquette is not important anymore? At the end of the day, GW2 is as much a piece of licensed software as any other…

Posted by: Anesthesia.4652

Anesthesia.4652

sometimes, I am very ashamed to be european… like at the moment.

Never be ashamed of being a european
Remember we civilized the world
;)

I heard the Mayans disagree.

The Mayans also said the world would end in 2012 so…

The Mayans never said the world would end in 2012.
It simply marked the end of an era in their culture.
This is just typical western messianic misinterpretation.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Soon™.

/15charrs

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: beastahead.9732

beastahead.9732

Two reasons for threads like these…

1) Trying to start drama…
2) Poking fun at said attempt to start drama.

Patch will get here when it gets here.

This reminded me of something…

Q:Sir, sir, when do we get there?
A: We get there Hawaiian Time.
Q:What does Hawaiian Time mean?
A: Hawaiian Time means… we get deare, whan we get deare!

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

It’s not late till midnight in their timezone.

I swear people don’t even understand basic words anymore.

JustTrogdor.7892

Is it just me or does it not seem more logical to release the patch as soon as they get into their offices in the morning? That way they can spend the entire day fixing the myriad of bugs that arrive with all of their patches.

Or maybe, and I’m just basing this on personal production experience yet not game related, you do something like this:

Everyone arrives at work. You have a morning briefing to make sure everyone is on the same page and knows what to expect. You then go through some last minute QA stuff and do some final tests. Then you brief everyone when it is ready to launch one last time make sure everyone is on the same page. You have to keep in mind that patches such as these include everyone from customer support, designers, techs and so forth, people from all disciplines within the agency. Everyone needs to be on the same page in order to make it as seamless as possible and to be prepared for any problems that apply after the product is released.

It makes sense to make sure everyone from Anet involved in the patch is up and ready to go. This can take time.

The Burninator

Posted by: SaltyDave.7346

SaltyDave.7346

It’s almost noon here…
sucks to be in Europe right now :/

These topics happen every patch day. I don’t understand it. You guys know Anet is based in the western US, this should be nothing new.

According to the said ANet, one of them posted the exact time when the patch should go live, and that time passed ~20 minutes ago. Maybe not for you / those in the US, but for us in EU that’s a very long delay, because right now it’s 20:21 here and I have to get up 4:30 (lucky with that) because of my job. So yeah, we know being in EU sucks when a patch comes out, please save these “oh I don’t understand what’s your problem and why you mention it with every patch day” posts. People won’t stop it anyway (especially with ANet too often being even hours late with their too often broken patches), but posts like yours annoy even those who normally stay silent and wait. Like me.

And yes, I know this isn’t just a hotfix. But if someone says an exact time, I expect them to keep that promise. And yes, I know they try to, and work hard for it, and ofc. we all appriciate that. Still it causes frustration for those who were waiting for it all day just to get a sneak-peak at evening before the next day’s work starts, and even that flies away. And then comes the golden post like the one quoted.

(edited by SaltyDave.7346)

Xbon.9086

It’s almost noon here…

These topics happen every patch day. I don’t understand it. You guys know Anet is based in the western US, this should be nothing new.

According to the said ANet, one of them posted the exact time when the patch should go live, and that time passed ~20 minutes ago.

No anet employee posted when it should go live; if they did, provide a quote.

HOWEVER, The window for getting the 5 transmutation charges gets smaller every minute, and in 4 hours, you risk having timezones without any ability to get them whatsoever because they’ll be asleep/at work/etc.

Posted by: Alex.9268

Alex.9268

*based on a true story.

Good thing you don’t work for Anet then with how easily you get frustrated and flustered professionally.

My problem is the bad PR. Don’t say the 15th if the patch won’t hit the 15th in one of the two major regions your costumers play and pay from.

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

It’s almost noon here…

According to the said ANet, one of them posted the exact time when the patch should go live, and that time passed ~20 minutes ago.

HOWEVER, The window for getting the 5 transmutation charges gets smaller every minute, and in 4 hours, you risk having timezones without any ability to get them whatsoever because they’ll be asleep/at work/etc.

what? no matter what time the patch goes live today, the window to get your stones will be minimum 24 hours.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Where are Anet offices? Texas, aren’t them?

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

(edited by Ardid.7203)

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

Or maybe, and I’m just basing this on personal production experience yet not game related, you do something like this:

Everyone arrives at work. You have a morning briefing to make sure everyone is on the same page and knows what to expect. You then go through some last minute QA stuff and do some final tests. Then you brief everyone when it is ready to launch one last time make sure everyone is on the same page. You have to keep in mind that patches such as these include everyone from customer support, designers, techs and so forth, people from all disciplines within the agency. Everyone needs to be on the same page in order to make it as seamless as possible and to be prepared for any problems that apply after the product is released.

It makes sense to make sure everyone from Anet involved in the patch is up and ready to go. This can take time.

This, I’m just basing my thought on common sense though. They have to make sure EVERYONE in the building is ready for anything to go wrong, and that usually starts with multiple meetings and lots of repetitive “You NEED to do this if THAT happens, and do it quickly.”.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

New build is up!!! Downloading it now!

4,300 files GOGOGOGO

[SoF]

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

*based on a true story.

Good thing you don’t work for Anet then with how easily you get frustrated and flustered professionally.

My problem is the bad PR. Don’t say the 15th if the patch won’t hit the 15th in one of the two major regions your costumers play and pay from.

Who would have thought that a North American company would base their calendar on North American time zones.

I get that it’s already April 16th in some parts of the world. Unfortunately for you, Washington state is not one of them.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: garganor.9824

garganor.9824

4,300 files GOGOGOGO

Lies, you made me go look

Posted by: mPascoal.4258

mPascoal.4258

Time to play Pokemon!
Gotta catch’em all!

Phask - Guardian/DH | Phaskk - Warrior | Phaask - Revenant

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

4,300 files GOGOGOGO

made you look

/child humor

: (

[SoF]

Posted by: YourSwordisMine.3265

YourSwordisMine.3265

4,300 files GOGOGOGO

made you look

/child humor

Obvious Troll is Obvious

Posted by: beastahead.9732

beastahead.9732

Its Lux… everyone knows he is a troll

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

4,300 files GOGOGOGO

made you look

/child humor

you suck socks- it is 20:30 here
I am old and have kids :P

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

I think if we argue and post more, the devs will release it quicker.

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

Posted by: garganor.9824

garganor.9824

4,300 files GOGOGOGO

made you look

/child humor

Obvious Troll is Obvious

Oblivious me, is oblivious

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

It’d be nice if we were given some time frame. I could’ve gone to work for half a day.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I think if we argue and post more, the devs will release it quicker.

As I just said in our map chat, the devs are having too much fun reading all the comments floating around in the various worlds!

JustTrogdor.7892

It’d be nice if we were given some time frame. I could’ve gone to work for half a day.

And if they gave people a specific time frame and it got delayed due to technical reasons everyone would be flipping out even more. Actually they gave us a time frame, April 15th Pacific Time, US. There is your time frame and they are still in it. You should have gone to work.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Xbon.9086

It’s almost noon here…

what? no matter what time the patch goes live today, the window to get your stones will be minimum 24 hours.

no; the time to get the charges was stated to end on april 16.

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

taps monitor

oh come on! it’s 21:38 already!

taps monitor some more

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22