Who's excited for 2014?

Who's excited for 2014?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Well zerging isn’t really problem, but problem is that it’s best way to do everything. If some dragon come of course you need zerg to kill it, but i don’t really think that standing in same place is best way. If would be dragon i would eat all those zerglings who just stand there and auto attack.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Not really all that excited for GW2. I’m quite happy that Scarlet is finally going to go, we’ll start to see some of the CDI being put into practice, and that they’ll start to work on some of the older lore in the GW universe. But without them telling us what’s goInt to happen in 2014, I havn’t got much to be excited about.

I would actually be nice to see the game take a major hit in terms of player count or bad press though. That usually gets the devs to put more effort in.

I want to see:

- New weapon skills for each weapon, and utility skills for each class. By which I mean a lot of them.
- Guardians getting bows as weapons.
- Raids and at least 1 new dungeon.
- More armors obtainable in game.
- More content designed towards having a defensive setup and forcing you to adapt and change your build.
- A revamp of DE rewards and more DE chains.
- An interesting plot which engages the player.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: sonicwhip.9052

sonicwhip.9052

“I would actually be nice to see the game take a major hit in terms of player count or bad press though. That usually gets the devs to put more effort in.”

That would start to worry the publisher NCsoft(destroyer of games) and we might end up like City of Heroes as they begin to focus more on Blade & Soul and Wildstar.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I would actually be nice to see the game take a major hit in terms of player count or bad press though. That usually gets the devs to put more effort in.

Despite my antipathy for the direction GW2 has taken since last November (Asc plus LW), I do NOT want the company to suffer. I also don’t believe that the rank-and-file need to put more effort in. The issues I see are that management has put the game onto its current road, and this would have to change for the game to change.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I’m still excited for the 2013 stuff that hasn’t happened yet.

Also I’m really hoping they seriously work on the stuff people are top-threeing in the Horizontal Progression thread.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

More Scarlet updates!

Four of them to be exact

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

More Scarlet updates!

Four of them to be exact

I wonder how long each one of them will be. A month or two each? ..sigh.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

12/4=3months lol

vvuevv

Who's excited for 2014?

IVIUIEI.9631

“I would actually be nice to see the game take a major hit in terms of player count or bad press though. That usually gets the devs to put more effort in.”

That would start to worry the publisher NCsoft(destroyer of games) and we might end up like City of Heroes as they begin to focus more on Blade & Soul and Wildstar.

I think we have more players now than before, if u check the servers most of them are at very high.

vvuevv

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Excited? Well, Let’s see…

Darksouls 2
Watchdogs
Elder Scrolls Online
Wildstar
Warlords of Draenor
Destiny
The Division
Everquest Next

Yeah sure I’ll have more Scarlet and Ascended crafting because that’s a lot more fun.

EQN probably won’t be released until 2015. Landmark was pushed way back and you can assume the same for next.

The division, looks great, is expected late 2014…I expect it to be pushed.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Who's excited for 2014?

sonicwhip.9052

I think we have more players now than before, if u check the servers most of them are at very high.

They all say very high because it goes by the number of accounts registered on the server and not active players.
So we have inactive accounts all the way back from launch that have not logged in at all causing the servers to say very high.

Who's excited for 2014?

sonicwhip.9052

Excited? Well, Let’s see…

Darksouls 2
Watchdogs
Elder Scrolls Online
Wildstar
Warlords of Draenor
Destiny
The Division
Everquest Next

Yeah sure I’ll have more Scarlet and Ascended crafting because that’s a lot more fun.

EQN probably won’t be released until 2015. Landmark was pushed way back and you can assume the same for next.

The division, looks great, is expected late 2014…I expect it to be pushed.

The landmark alpha test is starting on or before February 2014 and the closed beta is starting on or before march 2014 with early access to those who buy the founders pack for 20 dollars or the more expensive versions which offer more stuff.
The open beta will most likely be later in 2014 with next probably going in beta late 2014 or early-mid 2015.

Who's excited for 2014?

IVIUIEI.9631

2 months ago half of the server didn’t say very high and now all of them are very high so that should say we have more players coming in filling up servers.
They all say very high because it goes by the number of accounts registered on the server and not active players.
So we have inactive accounts all the way back from launch that have not logged in at all causing the servers to say very high.

vvuevv

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Csele.1647

Csele.1647

its sad to admit it but.. i finally gave up on this game.. most of my friends already left….and . i hate how anet replaced the game that could had been the best mmorpg with this new livingstory thing.. that has nothing to do with the original game….. ignoring completly their true fanbase….

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I was excited for GW2 at the start of 2013. Let’s just say I am much less so at the start of 2014.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Bredegi.1943

Bredegi.1943

They still havent added new legendaries, precursor crafting, flamekissed armor or more than Skyhammer to pvp… so i hope we get to see this in January. Wanna know if i should make Bolt or wait for new ones.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: islarose.7356

islarose.7356

I would get excited for this game again if they announced an actual expansion pack with a huge load of new permanent content and new zones like Crystal Desert, Cantha, Elona, Sea of sorrows,etc coming in 2014. Unfortunately it is most likely more temporary events revolving around this Scarlet character and nothing to do with the elder dragons, I hope I’m wrong.

Having recently dug into the lore, I don’t think there’s any way that it CAN’T have to do with dragons. They mentioned the feature “bundle” coming in 2014 that sounded a bit like a mini-expansion (in the 2013 in review post) but it’s still a bit vague. The thing is, with the Guild Wars lore & story arc, events will have to happen in order to unlock the remaining zones on our map, as there are solid established reasons in the story/lore for the Tyrian’s lack of access to those zones. Moreover, the status of Cantha, Elona, etc. would have to be major expansions, I think, as the events preventing Tyria’s access to them are pretty significant and for a game focused on story, it would be a bit of a shame for that to be bypassed in an xpac cutscene. Not to mention, this game is only a year old. Xpacs like that take a significant amount of dev time, and are uncommon in the first 2 years of a release.

I think Crystal Desert is a likely candidate for a new zone, seeing as Kralkatorrik (or w/e) is residing there – that’s the dragon that killed Snaff, which led to the split of Divinity’s Edge. That is the “bridge” to Elona. Some crazy guy, Palawa Joko controls/controlled most of it, and it’s essentially a warzone between different factions of undead. Access through Ebonhawke is currently restricted by Queen Jennah, due to “dark events” and only the Order of Whispers ventures there. Tyrians have had no contact with Elona for ~50 years, and most Elonians fled the region. There exists a prophecy stating that an elonian living beneath steel would rise and lead his people back to the Crystal Desert.

I can’t fathom this cycle will end in an anti-climactic way, as it would seem they’re really trying to build it up to a big ending for the first season of LS. Scarlet studied under various cultures, and focused on magic. She’s uniting random groups that have to stand to gain something significant, or be under some influence, as they would not unite otherwise. She (or someone) has placed beacons/turrets/probes along the magical ley lines flowing throughout Tyria. Dragons feed on magic, and if I recall correctly, when humans came with the Gods, most dragons had been hibernating, to the extent that the Gods were unaware of them. With Abaddon’s gift of magic to humans, they started waking.

Prior to humans, five ancient groups had sealed their magic in an attempt to subvert the dragon issue – into the bloodstone (which then separated, yada yada..). One faction chose to keep their magic and fought the others, and is basically whom the white mantle worship (Mursaat), and they hid themselves from the world. Thus, dragons hibernated. Interesting note: The Mursaat have traditionally been associated with Agony, Ascension, Bloodstone, etc. (our ascended crafting mats). Ascended is the state of communion with the Gods, first achieved by the Morgonites.

ANYWAY… I feel like there is no way that the current story would hit its climax without a dragon issue of some sort. There is a LOT of story here, and potential for future content. I think this is a big part of the CDI determining the player base’s wants now, as they’re seeking how to approach it all. I imagine if they plan to finish the rest of the map of Tyria, not to mention expanding it, we’ll see LS “seasons” somehow tying in with the above.

Finally, a huge expansion with all of the zones you mentioned? That will demand some heavy development, for all of the art/design/code/hearts/events/etc. that a whole new zone would require – like, more than a year. Cantha and Elona, from what I gathered, were like Tyria. And Tyria is pretty massive. We’re not even finished uncovering all of it yet.

Who's excited for 2014?

islarose.7356

-Traditionally…bigger, better, larger and more enveloping content is released via sub based games. Whatever your feelings are on the living story, fact is that all of the content is some achievements, a 10-20 minute story-instance, and some zerging around via open world content with some zone changes. With sub based games you get entire zones opened up, entire quest lines and dailys that take weeks to go through, balance patches more often, new ‘end game content’(whatever that may be), possibly a new QoL system or some new game mode.

The only thing I’ll say about this is that the PvE content lasts longer only because it’s usually gated by the need to get gear / rep first.

If it wasn’t, then chances are it wouldn’t last much longer than the LS content.

In my experience (SWTOR, WoW) it rarely does [last longer than LS Content]. SWTOR, I finished Makeb in less than a day, and we had the raid on routine by the end of the week. As for WoW, Cata and the patch before Pandaria lasted me about a week or two as well, aside from daily reputation grinds. I finished Pandaria (zone) and wasn’t invested enough to care to bother with reps. Ran the first raid a few times, the dungeons, and then stopped playing altogether.

People complain about LS, but it is innovative, and I’ll take small updates every two weeks culminating in the end of a season as opposed to 1-2 years of stagnancy between expansions that can be completed within the same amount of time as a single LS release with minimal effort. Yes, I want to see new zones (existing within our current map) and I would love to see new dungeons. However, having been a producer for another game developer, I comprehend that those sorts of things take a great deal of time to develop.

I also don’t understand the complaints about ascended gear. It’s 1 point per stat, per item. It’s really only useful for fractal infusions, for those who are doing high level fractals. It was in no way a hurdle to hit 500 crafting, and I’m content with my ascended weapons (which were also, easy to get crafted). In other words, it’s not necessary for most of the game, and for the players who are adverse to vertical progression, I’m surprised at the perceived need for ascended armor.

Who's excited for 2014?

islarose.7356

I just see that traditional content updates offer far more than what we have been getting in the 2 week updates. Example: If you aren’t into winters day, and if wintersday was the only content added with the last update, then theres absolutely nothing new for you. Vs a traditional content game where the majority of the content added involves combat, which is the biggest reason we play these games…combat.

But those content updates usually take 6-12 months minimum to develop (more for quality and quantity) so the period of “nothing new” you mention in your comparison for this LS update would essentially last at least half of a year, most likely longer, in a tradition content cycle. It’s also completed almost just as quickly as an LS patch.

Who's excited for 2014?

islarose.7356

Oh haha, wasn’t’ even replying to you, Cesmode :P ..And yeah no trolling intended, I don’t think the tone of my post reflected that, most just surprise that people can find a “who’s excited” thread and think, “boy, how can I reply and show how non-excited I am” :P

I didnt thnk you were replying to me, you were replying to the whole. No worries.

My first response to this thread was that everyone should be cautiously optimistic. My experience with the hype or excitement for Gw2 has always been deflated with false promises or misconceptions. This has happened in this game, for me, more so than any other MMO ive ever played.

I enjoy the game, I enjoy the potential of the game, I enjoy the varity of classes, some of the dungeons and WvW is just boss. But in terms of outlook, I can no longer trust a dev’s word. With all of the ‘should have’ responses and ‘internally discussing’…I dont think I’ll see much change within the next few months before I decide to put the game down for good and move on. I’ve waited a year+ for some of the changes discussed in the CDI, and I’ve seen the changes suggested for the past year over and over. Im tired of waiting, frankly.

For 2014, even though I may not be around for all of it, I hope GW2 returns to its roots and gets people in open world zones, more than just one or two zones. And I am excited for new skills.

I think instead of “false promises” and “misconceptions” I’d say “unrealistic expectations”. Oddly, I gave up on the game a year ago (I liked raiding) and recently picked it up free from hype, forums, dev posts, etc. and I’m thrilled with it. Nothing else on the market really appealed to me, nor does anything upcoming (unfortunately – wildstar looks really cheesy, and ESO has really grainy graphics and awkward combat) and I came back out of curiosity, to kill some time. Perhaps having no real expectations is what resulted in my being overall impressed and content with the game? I don’t deal with bugs, I’m kept entertained at max levels, I have variety, I have options.

Significant changes take time, especially when being considered side by side with existing projects. Moreover, the forums don’t represent the full player base – so for the occasion in which there is a consensus, it’s often representative of the malcontents, not necessarily that of those who are happy and actively playing the game – who are equally entitled to a say in the direction of the game. ( I won’t touch the issue of the entitlement that is rife in the MMO industry). Thus, the devs do have to consider thoughtfully the direction in which they choose to move forward, as they have their own artistic/corporate interests paired with varying opinions from their base, while maintaining current levels of development.

I’m terrified of the people saying they contribute to the CDI but have given up on the game. Why offer input in a game one has given up on, as opposed to those who are currently invested? I’d imagine I’m not alone in stating that I want to play, not troll the forums to ensure my voice is heard as well when it comes to determining the future direction of the game I actively enjoy. Moreover, it’s also worth reiterating that the major updates people are asking for take a significant amount of time, I don’t think they grasp that concept. You’re bored now? So a year or more of no content is preferable, for what ultimately has the same staying power of what we get every two weeks? (You in the general sense, not you specifically.)

I really hope they nail LS Season 1, and tie the story ending together nicely, so people will at least have a little faith in that aspect. I feel it’s the opportunity to open the door to a new story arc, that can lead to some really great content. Especially seeing as this is a really young game.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

It’s not enormously speculating at all. It’s logical. Particularly when you look at the type of game Elder Scrolls is and the type of game Guild Wars 2 is.

If you like the graphic style of elder scrolls, and a fantasy MMO, and particularly something that has something like WvW, there aren’t many games to go to.

There’s no way you can compare ESO with neverwinter for example, or Tera for that matter. They’re going to be completely different types of games.

ESO has taken quite a bit from the Guild Wars 2 playbook, so if it’s buggy, I’d expect a fair few people to consider Guild Wars 2 (particularly with frequent sales and promotions).

I personally don’t like the cartoony graphic styles of WoW or Wildstar and I’d find the transition quite difficult.

And sure, some players WILL go to other games if ESO bombs, but that doesn’t mean it won’t bring new people into the MMO space and it doesn’t mean some of them won’t come to Guild Wars 2.

I mean if you like the idea of ESO but it doesn’t deliver, why would you go to TSW?

Actually, it is enourmous speculating.
First of all because it’s unlikely that ESO will bring many new players into the MMO world, maybe from console guys, but i highly doubt that there’s people who play on PC who will magically discover the existence of MMOs thanks to ESO.
And even if they do, it’s probable that those people would switch for another MMO based more on quality than the theme…

And i really don’t see all those similarities between GW2 and ESO… I mean, even following your reason, if one would buy ESO for the high fantasy setting, and then leaving it because (hipotetically) it bombs… It’s most likely to be attracted from games like Neverwinter or RIFT wich shows similar theme, than to a game full of Fabios in their fabulous shocking pink armors with plushie backpack, shooting rainbow unicorns from their even more fabulous glittery unicorn longbow, or your average big boobed teenager girl ripped off from whatever anime is on at the moment…

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I just see that traditional content updates offer far more than what we have been getting in the 2 week updates. Example: If you aren’t into winters day, and if wintersday was the only content added with the last update, then theres absolutely nothing new for you. Vs a traditional content game where the majority of the content added involves combat, which is the biggest reason we play these games…combat.

But those content updates usually take 6-12 months minimum to develop (more for quality and quantity) so the period of “nothing new” you mention in your comparison for this LS update would essentially last at least half of a year, most likely longer, in a tradition content cycle. It’s also completed almost just as quickly as an LS patch.

True, traditional content patches require far longer to develop. But I bet that they perform WAY more QA on those updates than what we are seeing here. These LS updates are just buggy as hell sometimes.

Also, with 6-12 months of dev time, you will simply get more I feel. I will enjoy an entire new zone with new quests, and gear to acquire…than “the nightmare ends”, where its a 10 minute intsanced story, and then achievement grinding in Kessex. Thats quality? I was done in a day or two and haven’t been back to Kessex since.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

What we need is something like THIS!

Will probably never happen, but still, Guild Wars 2 needs an expansion like this imo.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

What we need is something like THIS!

Will probably never happen, but still, Guild Wars 2 needs an expansion like this imo.

OMG. This is AMAZING!

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

Excited also!
We will get to kill Scarlet over and over again.
But, somehow she will still live to fight another day.
Or even more excited about the NEW LEVELS in S.A.B! Where the hell is that princess?
Or even more about that new map that is coming out..errr wait wrong game.

Not excited at all about GW2 future.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Honestly not so much…

I’m waiting on EQN mostly.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Not hyped the slightest.
I’m a bit hyped about Titan Fall (fps)… and well other mentioned MMO’s though I know they’re far away from being released….
I’m interested in where the CDI takes this game… outcome of that may keep me playing more…. Ugh and I would gamble to say that I’m interested in the next “balancing” patch…. :| but it’s sort of a gamble wanting that…. More interested in their current/next-steps as opposed to “something big is coming this year”.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

Who's excited for 2014?

IVIUIEI.9631

2014 is going to be AMAZING for GW2 and the community per Chris Whiteside. I hope he’s right, fingers cross.

vvuevv

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

2014 is going to be AMAZING for GW2 and the community per Chris Whiteside. I hope he’s right, fingers cross.

We’ve heard something similar last year. My advice is to not set your expectations high and you won’t be disappointed. If there’s no detailed plan of what they’re doing or working on then chances are they’re not really working on anything worth talking about.

Even an abstract idea creates a buzz within the community. They have nothing, literally nothing.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Ilmatar.6709

Ilmatar.6709

The end of the year 2014 we will know what kind of year this was in GW 2.

I am not excited, I am just waiting for end of the year and then we all know what this year will bring to us.

Lets enjoy what we have now.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

My excitement will come back when I start seeing good things I know I’ll really like, such as new full size maps (like GW1 expansons brought to GW1), or reasons to revisit entire maps again (like vanquishing brought to GW1), unlocks instead unitary items for customization (like in GW1)…

Right now small changes like the colors in inventory or when the allowed to disable right click targeting are more exciting than most living story releases.

Maybe we’ll finally be able to search for armor by weight!

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I wish I was but I’ve been very discouraged with ANET and the trend of them making this game as grindy as possible.

I’d like to see less grindy content with achievements and crafting. I’d like to see them add more challenging content skill wise like Liadri and more Tribulation like content. More bosses like the Molten Facility Ornstein and Smough fight and Tequatl. Generally the masses have complained about that content being too hard so I see ANET to continue to release content with low challenge and requiring a significant time investment to complete.

I’d also like to see less Zergy content in 2014, almost every living story update has been a mindless zergfest.

You want less mindless zergfest but more Tequatl? O_o
Contradictory requirements.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

These people are very excited for 2014. I do notice a conspicuous absence of one particular game in their predictions…directly mentioned once, I believe, and that was to ask for something that’s not been delivered…

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/20/the-think-tank-massivelys-2014-mmo-predictions/

I hate to say this, but I kinda saw it coming. I think things are going to become very quiet in Lion’s Arch soon…which is a shame. I looked forward to this game more than any other for several years.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

These people are very excited for 2014. I do notice a conspicuous absence of one particular game in their predictions…directly mentioned once, I believe, and that was to ask for something that’s not been delivered…

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/20/the-think-tank-massivelys-2014-mmo-predictions/

I hate to say this, but I kinda saw it coming. I think things are going to become very quiet in Lion’s Arch soon…which is a shame. I looked forward to this game more than any other for several years.

these guys are wow brainwashed funboys, wildstar has more superior features than wow and they still praise the wow ex-pac. This just doesnt make sense.

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

I was excited for GW2 at the start of 2013. Let’s just say I am much less so at the start of 2014.

Me too. 2013 has shown quite clearly that we don’t need to expect any good developments from the unliving story.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Fhaeris.9237

Fhaeris.9237

Another year of pointless updates, of course I’m excited.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Acerola.6407

Acerola.6407

Of course I am!
Finally, they awake from their bad dream that was 2013 and revamp all dungeons in a “no-guild-puzzle-but-dungeon”-way and add 8 new ones as addition to the new, awesome content.

Oh, they don’t, obviously.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: mergi.1407

mergi.1407

I am extremely excited, getting a new video card!
I already have a new MMO just cannot play till the card arrives.
Maybe I will check back when something is set in stone about what direction and format the game is going to be taking in the future, I really cannot stand investing much time here not knowing if its all to go to waste on some new level cap or gear power creep grind fest.
GW2 feels like a kick-starter to me right now, it’s totally lost direction and there is nothing but a big committee going on about what to do. Someone at Anet probably needs to man up and decide what the game will be right now, because once people start looking for other MMO’s they may well not ever come back.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

these guys are wow brainwashed funboys, wildstar has more superior features than wow and they still praise the wow ex-pac. This just doesnt make sense.

GW2 also has some superior features than wow but thats not what counts int he end. Personally if I had to pick between WoW en Wildstar I would also go for WoW. The style of Wildstar is like a WoW clone + aliens. Well I linke both styles but a mix not so much. The story telling is supposed to be funny (TeamFortress clone at that part) and while that can be fun in some games for me it does not work in an MMO.

Then there can be little details that they do different. Crafting, rare items and so on. You might prefer the one over the other. For example I like it how WoW hides all those fun little rare items in the world (pet stoned, heal orbs and so on). If people invested time into a game that also counts and then looking at the company behind it. WoW has it’s own company while Wildstar has Ncsoft behind it and to me it looks like Ncsoft threads GW2 like a short time project that they use to squeeze out as much money as they can. So it’s likely they do the same with Wildstar, I for one will not go for a game made by company x and financed by Ncsoft.

So there might be many reasons why you go for one game in stead of the another and having some superior features does not mean everybody in his right might should go for that option. It do also not have to be brainwashed fan-boys. In all honestly you reaction looks to me more like a brainwashed hate-boy. You know, the type that just hates WoW because well because WoW.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

Injustice, Oppression, Elitism, and Favoritism, is this the future we need?

I’ve noticed a lot of that from the developers and here on the forums from those who run it.

But to contribute to the topic, I don’t look forward to anything exciting from GW2 in 2014.. I’d happily pay a sub for one of these up and coming games though.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Who's excited for 2014?

Devata.6589

I’ve noticed a lot of that from the developers and here on the forums from those who run it.

But to contribute to the topic, I don’t look forward to anything exciting from GW2 in 2014.. I’d happily pay a sub for one of these up and coming games though.

I keep finding it funny that in every mmo forum I keep seeing people asking for sub-based games and if a game decides not to go sub-based they are all mad but in the last 9 years (really recent released games still need to prove them-self) all games that went sub-based failed with there sub-based model. I do understand that you do not like a micro-transaction based model (I don’t) but GW1 had a good model where they focused on expansions. That was really good.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

I keep finding it funny that in every mmo forum I keep seeing people asking for sub-based games and if a game decides not to go sub-based they are all mad but in the last 9 years (really resent released games still need to prove them-self) all games that went sub-based failed with there sub-based model. I do understand that you do not like a micro-transaction based model but GW1 had a good model where they focused on expansions. That was really good.

I think if GW2 switched to an expansion model like they did with GW1 with new skills, abilities, classes, physics and NPC mechanics the game would probably hold more players.

It’s more likely that GW2 will be released in China before they can produce a large expansion but; there isn’t much time before the competition arrives. If they are very successful in China they might abandon the North American market.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Rooks Zaer.5846

Rooks Zaer.5846

I keep finding it funny that in every mmo forum I keep seeing people asking for sub-based games and if a game decides not to go sub-based they are all mad but in the last 9 years (really resent released games still need to prove them-self) all games that went sub-based failed with there sub-based model. I do understand that you do not like a micro-transaction based model but GW1 had a good model where they focused on expansions. That was really good.

I think if GW2 switched to an expansion model like they did with GW1 with new skills, abilities, classes, physics and NPC mechanics the game would probably hold more players.

It’s more likely that GW2 will be released in China before they can produce a large expansion but; there isn’t much time before the competition arrives. If they are very successful in China they might abandon the North American market.

I would bet against GW2 being successful in China at this point. GW2 was originally supposed to release in China during 4Q ‘13, but NCSoft made it clear during their last investor’s call that they are shifting their focus away from GW2 in China due to the huge popularity of Blade and Soul. They are now no longer committing to a time frame for the GW2 China release. I think they said “sometime in 2014” due to “strategic timing”. Anyone with any knowledge of NCSoft knows what that really means.

(edited by Rooks Zaer.5846)

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I stopped playing and bought subscription time for WoW. At least they add content every couple of months which is not temporary and I get my gear easier through DROPS instead of this mindless farming-driven crafting crap.

I hope GW2 will add a new campaign or addon with a new continent like all other MMOs do. I can’t stand this. Since the pre-launch I play the same kitten 8 dungeons over and over and with the exception of Fractals they didn’t add anything new. I don’t count the temporary mindless zerg stuff on the same old maps over and over as ‘content’. Those are some events most other MMOs have too. And while it’s fun for a while, it gets utterly boring after a couple of months.

If they won’t proceed with the lore they made (FFS Dragons, Destiny’s Edge, Undead leaderless without Zhaitan etc etc.) and won’t add new professions, crafting, races zones, campaigns, areas, maps etc. I won’t touch this game anymore. I am now at the point of utter disappointment and couldn’t imagine in my worst nightmares how bad this game has ‘evolved’. Just compare this to GW1 after soonish 18 months: 3 CAMPAINGS!!!!!!!! with almost 3 the amount of EXPLORABLE ZONES since the start of GW1 compared to ONE SINGLE ZONE FFS!!!!!!!

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Who's excited for 2014?

Devata.6589

I stopped playing and bought subscription time for WoW. At least they add content every couple of months which is not temporary and I get my gear easier through DROPS instead of this mindless farming-driven crafting crap.

I hope GW2 will add a new campaign or addon with a new continent like all other MMOs do. I can’t stand this. Since the pre-launch I play the same kitten 8 dungeons over and over and with the exception of Fractals they didn’t add anything new. I don’t count the temporary mindless zerg stuff on the same old maps over and over as ‘content’. Those are some events most other MMOs have too. And while it’s fun for a while, it gets utterly boring after a couple of months.

If they won’t proceed with the lore they made (FFS Dragons, Destiny’s Edge, Undead leaderless without Zhaitan etc etc.) and won’t add new professions, crafting, races zones, campaigns, areas, maps etc. I won’t touch this game anymore. I am now at the point of utter disappointment and couldn’t imagine in my worst nightmares how bad this game has ‘evolved’. Just compare this to GW1 after soonish 18 months: 3 CAMPAINGS!!!!!!!! with almost 3 the amount of EXPLORABLE ZONES since the start of GW1 compared to ONE SINGLE ZONE FFS!!!!!!!

However I don’t think the biggest problem is the lagg of new content. If they did not make the mistakes they did and we where now all waiting for some big expansion then less people would be complaining about the lack of content I think.

The problem is like you say the type of content and partly the lag of content at release. You refer to WoW, let me tel you what I did in that game. I collected pets for my hunter because they had a very dynamic tame system letting you also tame some very rare pets that sometimes only spanned in a dungeons or from a quest. I also collected mini’s. They dropped in dungeons or from mobs ore from quest. I also love engineering, every level a new fun item to make, going into the world to collect the materials and recipes, I collected mounts (similar to mini’s) and I did quest. That where my main thinks in WoW and trying to do that stuff could easily keep you busy for 1,5 year. Especially if you also leveled some alt classes.

If I look at the same thinks in GW2. Pets, well there is just some predefined list of pets you can get so not really interesting to get them. Mini’s, 99% of them are gem-store related so you buy them with gold you farm or with real money. No fun in going into the world and collecting them. There are now 2 or 3 in the world but because you lose interest in the mini’s those also don’t mind anymore, not even talking about all those in the living story you can’t get anymore. Crafting, well there is no fun craft like engineering but the crafts that are available don’t really send you all over the world, it’s mainly grinding gold to buy your items to grind your way up to level 400 / 500 so you can then finally build what you want. Mounts? Not in GW2 and if they where likely it they would also be in the gem-store like the mini’s. No traditional quest you can really complete, hearts are boring and dynamic events don’t give you a feeling of completion because they keep repeating.

So as far as those thinks are in GW2 they just require a gold grind in stead of a journey into the world bust most of them simply aren’t really farmable in the world. In a way that you can really go for them buy doing a dungeon or a quest of farming a group of mobs.

We do have stuff that WoW does not have but that is the living story what is basically a temporary grind for achievements and rewards. So more grind.

If we had the good stuff people where not complaining yet about a lack of content IF there was an expansion on the way but with gold and achievement grind grind grind people miss the real content.

The one thing I do not like about sub-based games like WoW is the fact that they put a timer over your head.. then again GW2 does the same with the living story.

Reason behind the way Anet does thinks ust be the gem-store. Gold-grind means gold is worth much so you are more likely to buy gems (well some people). If you could go into the world and farm what you needed (so play the game) there would be much less reason to buy gems. They really should have focused on expansions for income so the content we have is not all based around that gem-store. That really destroyed this game. An expansion with some new continent and the Tengu would then also not safe this game if they keep doing things in this same way. They really have to undo much of what they did (example: throw all those mini’s that where availible the last year) in the world and then stop there focus on the gem-store and start focusing om expansions.

Else the new content will have the same problem as the current content.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

@ Devata.6589

Yes you are absolutely right. Same goes with Legendary. There is just much less RPG elements in it. It’s mostly stupid gold farming be cause you can almost do everything with gold, even buying a legendary which is really stupid.

There is a huge lack of funny and interesting quests or – as you said – rare pets, minis, mounts etc. which can’t be just bought from the TP.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

Having recently dug into the lore, I don’t think there’s any way that it CAN’T have to do with dragons. They mentioned the feature “bundle” coming in 2014 that sounded a bit like a mini-expansion (in the 2013 in review post) but it’s still a bit vague.

(snip)

Finally, a huge expansion with all of the zones you mentioned? That will demand some heavy development, for all of the art/design/code/hearts/events/etc. that a whole new zone would require – like, more than a year. Cantha and Elona, from what I gathered, were like Tyria. And Tyria is pretty massive. We’re not even finished uncovering all of it yet.

Thank you for the explanation on the lore, very helpful.

I’d like to pose a hypothetical question to everyone which is this.

We don’t know the size of the design team working on the LS updates do we? Is it possible that since launch Anet has had a team working on a expansion in conjunction with the LS team? and if it is possible would the amount of time since launch till spring/summer of 2014 be a adequate amount of time to create a expansion and still produce LS content on a regular basis if the team was large enough? Would it be to some advantage for Anet to keep this a secret? And lastly do any of you think GW2 can survive solely on LS updates with no expansion ever?

Yeah I know more than one question, but it’s a hypothetical that’s been rolling around in my head for the last few weeks and I can’t understand why they can’t or won’t give us more info than it’ going to be a big year for GW2… just hype?

Who's excited for 2014?

Devata.6589

Having recently dug into the lore, I don’t think there’s any way that it CAN’T have to do with dragons. They mentioned the feature “bundle” coming in 2014 that sounded a bit like a mini-expansion (in the 2013 in review post) but it’s still a bit vague.

(snip)

Thank you for the explanation on the lore, very helpful.

I’d like to pose a hypothetical question to everyone which is this.

We don’t know the size of the design team working on the LS updates do we? Is it possible that since launch Anet has had a team working on a expansion in conjunction with the LS team? and if it is possible would the amount of time since launch till spring/summer of 2014 be a adequate amount of time to create a expansion and still produce LS content on a regular basis if the team was large enough? Would it be to some advantage for Anet to keep this a secret? And lastly do any of you think GW2 can survive solely on LS updates with no expansion ever?

Yeah I know more than one question, but it’s a hypothetical that’s been rolling around in my head for the last few weeks and I can’t understand why they can’t or won’t give us more info than it’ going to be a big year for GW2… just hype?

1 We do know how big the team is. I don’t have the numbers at this moment but I remembers them saying how big it was.

2 Possible then again they did say they wanted to do the LS and if that would work out there was no need for an expansion. So it looks like they were not working on an expansions. It’s also likely the other people are working on stuff like WvW.

3 That would be possible however like I said in my previous post, that would not solve the problem. The game did miss things and has only gotten worse and thats because of the type of content. They want to generate money with there gem-store and that effects the game mechanic in a bad way. It’s the same reason many people dislike F2P games. Even if we would get an expansion that does not solve the problem of bad quality content. The element mini’s is already destroyed and if they put mounts in the game I don’t they they will be all in the world like they should but they are likely also mostly behind the gem-store. Anyway, read my previous content or https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/A-focus-on-micro-transactions/first#post3324571

4 They could keep it a secret. Not sure why but they could.

5 No but if they do it they way they do it now they can’t even survive with expansions. They really need to sift there focus from gem-sales to expansion sales and then undo everything they did before when focusing on gems. (Like putting all the mini’s we have seen in the game, making dyes account-bound and so on) Thats what you should hope if you care about this game.

Who's excited for 2014?

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

It’s also likely the other people are working on stuff like WvW.

This is something they’re definitely not focusing on.