Why Represent another Guild Causes Rage?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

I see multiple people in this thread saying that they require 100% rep because they are trying to build a “community” or “family”, but I’d ask them….do you know all of the people who are active on your roster at any one time?

I would say that any guild who is at, or near, the cap has no excuse as to why they would require 100% rep other than want for more influence or feeling insulted because someone decided that a little bit of their time was better spent with a different group.

Once a guild gets so large it stops being a family or community and starts becoming more like a cult; people join it because of the name and leaders want more people to join so they can further their name.

I help run a small guild, we have 35 members on the roster, maybe about 5-6 active on week nights and 10 or so active on Friday-Sunday nights…2-3 of the 35 member regularly..gasp…represent a different guild. If I want to include the non-representing members in our activities I whisper them and see if the want to join (I don’t ask that they represent). If people don’t represent and don’t participate at all, then I’ll let them know that we feel that they aren’t contributing to the social part of the guild, ask that they come chat/play with us a bit more, and if they don’t….then I’ll let them know that we let them go.

A few people not representing isn’t going to spoil a guild, it will only spoil the ego of the people running the guild. Granted, if a significant portion of the guild isn’t representing (I’d say >20% in guilds 50+ members, >30% in guilds <50) then it becomes an issue.

My personal opinion, take it or leave it. If anyone has similar thinking to mine, you are more than welcome to look me up in game, I’ll have a sympathetic ear to any dictator guild problems you want to vent about.

Not necessarily the case although I agree that some guilds are like this in mine for example I know a lot of the members by real name or at the very least know them very well. We chat a lot about various things and apart from a couple of new people and very very quiet ones I know the majority of my members well and they know each other because when they are online so is everyone else rather than everyone being in different guilds. People are able to get to know each other well because of this and are inclined to do things with guildies first and foremost.

People who join the guild know its 100% representation before they do and understand why it is so, nobody is forced into this. We have a pretty good reputation on our server because people always see us together doing things and silly events or as simple as slacking and joking around in LA. We are a very close knit community.

We don’t often recruit as we stick around the 100 member mark and remove anyone who hasn’t been active for a long time before we recruit more at which point we hardly have to advertise because people want to join us.

We are about active community where people recognize each other and have fun together. A guild that is small enough to do so but large enough to have people to do things with. With on average 20-30 people online at peak times.

I don’t enforce 100% representation to boost my ego I do it because I can see from experience that it makes for a stronger community and a stronger community makes for a more fun experience in game where people feel more connected to one another. I do it for them, the people in my guild, to give them the best experience possible. Because of it people really get to know each other and become friends outside of the game.

It’s nice that guild hopping is there for specialized guilds or smaller guilds but for my kind of guild it just doesn’t work. I respect your rule on guild hopping, it would be nice if you could respect mine without insulting me.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Not the opposing team, but more like, I can train with a tennis team on Monday and cycling on Tuesday. Why can’t I play WvW with pvp guild X on Monday and dungeons with pve guild Y on Tuesday?

This ^ – a completely valid point, and somehow disregarded / ignored in the conversation every time it is brought up. (I made the same point earlier with a soccer team and a regular film night.)

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Me and my friends have our own personal guild for bank space. I mean, I’m the only member of my own guild and I worked on it since launch to cultivate enough points to buy a bank. That took a long, long time on my own, lemme tell ya.

Hmm a guild of one, I don’t know why this thought hasn’t come to me before.
I could use the influence items still for myself instead of randomly giving them to guilds and leaving.
I’ll get more bank space for myself.
At the very least it will reduce the guild invite spam I constantly decline.

Thank you for this idea!

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Me and my friends have our own personal guild for bank space. I mean, I’m the only member of my own guild and I worked on it since launch to cultivate enough points to buy a bank. That took a long, long time on my own, lemme tell ya.

I could use the influence items still for myself instead of randomly giving them to guilds and leaving.

Thank you for this idea!

In a lone guild, every single time you do a dynamic event, you’ll get 2 influence.

It’ll be a long time before you unlock the necessary stuff to get bank space. A really long time.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Thank you for this idea!

In a lone guild, every single time you do a dynamic event, you’ll get 2 influence.

It’ll be a long time before you unlock the necessary stuff to get bank space. A really long time.

I tend to buy some keys for my BLCs, I’m constantly cursed with those influence items that clog up my inventory space. It probably won’t solve all my influence problems, but it is a nice start.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

I just started my own guild and can see that there are many people already in a guild or guilds. It seems like once you enter game your almost guaranteed to become a guild member or play solo until you do.

In my guild I don’t require 100% rep. I understand that some people have close friends or long time acquaintances with whom they do certain aspects like WVW,dungeons,spvp etc with. I don’t expect them to be on and repping 100% of the time, just that they try and be a part of the guild so that it is active.Things like bounty’s and missions will come in time, but for now I have no problem with people repping another guild so they can do content they enjoy. A guild is a community, some more close than others. Some people irl have certain bars they like, maybe they have a bartender friend or favorite drink. Maybe those people check out other bars for variety and come back. The point is Guild Wars 2 is very much about community as most games are, and your right to join several communities.

Some of the problems I often see are:

One side- Guild Leaders demanding 100% rep. The only reason I ever see the point of this is if your members are focused on 1-2 aspects of the game, ie WVW. If that is all you ever do then sure advertise it as such. But if you are multi-functional, you sound just silly asking for people to rep you 100%. Because they have needs and wants and they deserve to fulfill those. If you can’t offer that they will find others who can, but this does not always mean they will leave or never rep you.

Other side- Guild members using 5 guilds as a LFG. This is frustrating to see, as you do not just want a large guild with 200 non repping people just using you for LFG UNLESS that is the sole purpose of the guild. Yes it is a benefit that large guilds can be used for LFG for dungeons and whatnot, but it isn’t right to take up space in a maxed guild if you rep for 5 seconds a day.

Balance- There needs to be a balance between the guilds you rep, the guild masters understanding, and the cohesion of the guilds. The fact that many people have many different desires means that you could be all over the place. I wouldn’t recommend that a multi aspect player join 5 multi aspect guilds unless you can frequent them often. Guild Masters need to clearly lay out their plans and expectations BEFORE they invite you. No one should ever be told they got kicked because they weren’t repping, without that person knowing that was a rule. Even so, you could take the time to talk to them and explain, and see if you can come to an agreement. Because EVERY person matters in the game no matter the level, gear, skill, style. Every person is part of the world and has some kind of impact in one way or another, and that makes them important.

The little guy- Large guilds seem to start lacking in the area of catering to “most” instead of catering to certain individuals. Of course everyone knows you can’t please everyone, but you can sure try to have something for everyone (not including 1 aspect guilds) if you want to survive as a guild. You can balance Buffs, missions, banners, and events if you truly take the time to do so. Why expect everyone at the bounty mission if in 3 months you have had no guild buffs for people who are leveling, gathering, crafting, opening karma etc etc? No members should not be there solely for buffs, the core of a guild is its community. But it shows that you are doing your best to provide “something” for everyone. As your guilds needs change you need to refocus and ensure you are going the right direction and are paying proper service to those who helped you become what you are. Do not use people for influence, do not use people as a sort of interest bearing influence account. As they give to you, give back.

I’m always spending cash, gems, gold on throwing events for the server not just my guild. I know not everyone can do this, but I can so i do. I think it brings people together and adds a little fun to maybe a mundane moment between Maw or shatterer or whatever else. I invest time and money into this game because developers invested time and money into bringing out a pretty great game. At its core as with every MMO is the community, and we as guild leaders, as people should recognize that. Without people, without members, without community this is nothing more than an RPG with an occasional co-op. We need to support those we can, encourage others to do so, and our guilds should be a place where players feel welcome and important. So much so that all of Tyria feels this way, like we all belong to something.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I would never join a guild that required 100% rep. It’s a stupid idea in a game like this.

The main reason I can understand doing it though is that the guild tools in GW2 are bloody awful. If guild leaders could see a last online and last rep option….it wouldn’t be an issue. As it stands if you declare that people 100% rep…you can just boot them if they aren’t repping.

(edited by Hickeroar.9734)

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

What about being a member in a very active WvW guild and an active PvE oriented guild? And if I like to WvW a lot, but also like to break up my play time by leveling some alts. Cuz after all, it’s a game and the point should be to have fun. So when I want to WvW I rep that guild and we run together. Conversely, what if I want to just level my alts, do some dungeons with guildies from the PvE guild, and not read constant WvW-oriented guild chat? Yes, the WvW guild will not get the rep pts from me as I do dungeons, etc. But I don’t think it’s fair to expect members of a guild to spend 100% of their time doing any 1 particular thing. That gets tedious.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Heya.

I’m wondering since we can have several guilds, but really we can’t. Because all guilds don’t want us to stop representing them.

Why soo many rage? Why isn’t the multi-guild system working in a better way?

I have 2 guilds I’d like to play with, but they demand me to represent all the time. I just try to be Offline to avoid be warned about not representing and still be in the two of them.

The guilds aren’t really of the samething, one is PVE, other is WvW, and I hate when I’m events with PVE Guild getting rage from officers of the WvW one saying to represent it. Argh.

Update: I just left both of them right now, now i’m without guild, and wont be able to enter a new guild of my language because can’t find any without that rule… But that’s Ok.

They desire all the influence you gain from wearing their tag. I mean think about it. How can you have a really friendly relationship in a guild with over 100 people. Most voice chats systems can not handle that many people at one time in one channel. You will notice that there form in to cliches.

The real goal is to get all the influence you can from people. That is now a guild that is a glory maker for those that “command” said “guilds”

The multi-guild system is the best idea I have seen in a game in ages.

The moment I see a guild recruiting for new people and say “we are 300+ strong” and “we demand you only fly our tag” automatically goes into my “I want nothing to with them” list

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I still think the big problem in this thread is that almost everyone seems to be acting as if we all need to agree and that all guilds should behave the same way.

I love that my guild requires 100% representation and after seeing how it can work I don’t think I’d want to be in a guild without it. It means even though we’re not a huge guild (about 100 members and about 20-30 online at any time) I know whenever I log in there will be people in guild chat to talk to and people who can help if I need it, or requesting help which gives me something to do if I don’t have specific plans. It also means because of this I’ve gotten to know these people, I can put (character) faces to names and actually have something to talk about.

But, not everyone is like me and I’d never expect them to be. Other people want to be in multiple guilds and represent them all equally, or only rep one and use the other for specific purposes, or whatever. And if they can find enough like-minded people to form a guild that’s happy with that then that’s great.

This game would be bloody boring if all guilds were identical, if they all had to have the same rules and do things the same way. It’s much better having a system that lets people pick and choose what they want.

All it means is that just like you wouldn’t join a hard-core WvW guild if you didn’t like WvW, or a role-play guild if you’re never in character you shouldn’t join a guild that requires 100% representation if you don’t want to do that. (And on the other side don’t complain if you join a guild that doesn’t require it and no one ever represents them.) If the guild isn’t right for you then find one that is.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

What both Geotherma and Danikat said. That is all.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

How dare they bring logic to the gw2 forums! :p

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

How dare they bring logic to the gw2 forums! :p

I don’t even think it’s allowed on the internet. I’m sure I’ll be hearing sirens any time now…

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

Yup, Danikat hit the nail on the head. The problem with this thread isn’t that there are 100% representation guilds. The problem is that people are being offensive to guilds who are. I respect any guild of any type as long as they are nice people. Live and let live.

Every guild has it’s own rules and requirements and will appeal to different people. If anything 100% guilds are not all that common. Most guilds I heard of allow guild hopping to some extend so I’m not sure what the big deal is if some do I’m sure you can find a guild that appeals to you if you do not like 100%. Plenty of fish in the sea!

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Posted by: Tengu.4209

Tengu.4209

The entire idea of having more than one guild kills the point of an MMO to me. It just encourages guild hopping even more, which has already been a problem in games since….well…forever.

Guild hopping is only a problem for badly managed guilds, and therefore primarily the responsibility and fault of the guild leaders. Guild hopping eventually leads to extremely successful guilds at the expense of badly run guilds.

Give people a reason to represent and they’ll do it 100%. Enforcing it won’t cut it, just as much as no one ever keeps to the speed limit (except in Germany)

It works in our guild. If you don’t represent, you either leave or get kicked. If you don’t like the rules, which you are informed about prior to joining usually.. don’t join.

This is the problem though, the Multi-Guild system was intended to allow people to join Multiple Guilds and have fun with all of them. By you guys enacting this “Rep or Leave” rule, people don’t rep the other guilds. It only gets worse when you guys actually gain membership #’s.

Devona’s Rest – [Tsuk]
Ajini – Thief – Commander

Posted by: justkoh.4073

justkoh.4073

The “online, not representing” indicator needs to go and A-net needs to implement a better invisibility mode (i.e. location and character last logged in not updated when invisible).

I understand that for many guild leaders, this feels like the loss of an important administrative tool but this being the game it is with the ability to join multiple guilds, the online status indicators in their current form is leading to harassment and stalking.

Posted by: justkoh.4073

justkoh.4073

I notice one argument that is often presented in this thread is “why should a non-repping member take up space while there are others trying to join the guild and contribute”?

As I don’t WvW or PvP, I’ll just use PVE examples.
A. One repping member uses GW2 as an elaborate chat program and just sits in LA chatting,
B. One repping member like to PVE solo, hates dungeons and is not contributing in the “optimal way” (2 influence per event etc),
C. One repping member is only able to play an hour or two every night and mostly just does the daily and logs off.

Going by the actual amount of influence contributed, the aforementioned are not going to contribute much. But they rep 100% of the time and apparently give no cause for complaint.

I would think that if I contributed more than them, I would have earned my spot in the guild. Yes, you’re not getting all that I can give but if what I’ve given is more that the examples above, wouldn’t it be short-sighted for you to replace me while keeping them?

Perhaps better methods of measuring contributions are required or some guild leaders should be less greedy.

Posted by: Serephen.3420

Serephen.3420

Guilds are there to be more than just another friends list or to be used when they are granting member buffs. They are a group of like minded individuals who get together to form a community to play with and socialise with. To group together to tackle content. I’m no fan of the multi-guild system, I can understand it to an extent and have used it to a lesser extent as a hap-hazard alliance system.

It’s hard to form a solid guild if people are jumping between several others. It breaks that sense of community it doesn’t build on it.

Personally what I would have preferred is to have an alliance system as they had in Guild Wars 1 rather than the multi-guild system. Because that would truly bring together multiple communities and not just random individuals jumping from one “friends list” to the next.

Posted by: Misty Red Rose.9320

Misty Red Rose.9320

I’m a guild leader in a large guild, ad we began large with some 40+ players coming over from GW 1. We only ask that our officers represent us all the time, otherwise why be an officer? You won’t see the guild chats and it just looks bad if your own officers don’t represent your guild. (Or we ask representation at least 95% of the time; some players have a side guild where they try to make some influence for magic banners, etc., while they’re farming.) It’s not practical to force everyone to represent 100% of the time IMHO.

On the other hand, we have had several small guilds ask to join us where they do represent us most of the time. They just could not get their guilds off the ground, and I know other guild leaders who were able to create thriving guilds in gw 1, but who have failed to get a guild going in GW 2. Influence is critical if you want to build a bigger guild and when you have half of the player base not representing when they’re online they’re not contributing anything. Its as though they were not even online. So the problem compounds as a player logs in and only no one, or maybe one or two players are representing that guild. The solution for many players? Go find another guild and represent the guild you were in even less.

There begins to be a lack of cohesion within guilds when players can represent multiple guilds that I never saw in GW 1. This is especially hard on small guilds who are trying to build their player base. In fact I saw more cohesion between the guilds within our alliances in GW 1. Maybe we need alliances again?

(edited by Misty Red Rose.9320)

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

This is the problem though, the Multi-Guild system was intended to allow people to join Multiple Guilds and have fun with all of them. By you guys enacting this “Rep or Leave” rule, people don’t rep the other guilds. It only gets worse when you guys actually gain membership #’s.

I just can’t agree with this. Guilds like mine that have a 100% representation “rule” are made for players that do not want to be in more than one guild so it’s not even technically a rule, IMO. We make our intentions clear before an invitation is sent – what the guild does, the kind of members we have, representing, etc. so only people of like mind join up and are happy to represent because the guild is what they were looking for and meets all their needs. There are plenty of guilds that don’t care if you represent – those are for the people that want to be in multiple guilds. There is only an issue with the “rule” if the guild leadership doesn’t make their intentions clear in advance. Those guilds will see a lot of turnover from dissatisfied players and that’s on them. I’m happy to say that my guild sees extremely minimal turnover, if any at all.