Why are enemies so stupid?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tekey.7946

Tekey.7946

Talking about PvE enemies, most of them are just standing in front of you no matter what you do. Attack them with ‘Hundred Blades’ and they will just take every single strike instead of dodging away and cover until you finished. Start a ‘Meteor Shower’ and they will just stay inside of the AOE field and wait for meteors instead of evading.

Looking at the newest release, the Sons of Svanir in Bitterfrost Frontier can now one-hit you with a special attack but they’re not evading either. Instead adding power every new release they should get the ability to be smarter and step aside.

Let’s focus on the general aspect of AI here, of course some enemies will be smarter than others related to the lore. But this is more about the technical challenges. Would it be possible to see smarter enemies in future releases?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Looking at the newest release, the Sons of Svanir in Bitterfrost Frontier can now one-hit you with a special attack but they’re not evading either. Instead adding power every new release they should get the ability to be smarter and step aside.

Actually the Sons of Svanir in Bitterfrost Frontier has worse AI than old mobs because they sometimes stand still and do nothing while you attack them. Other times they just move around (while under fire) go to a corner then stop there and do nothing. Their AI is broken, maybe someone was trying to make them “clever” but it backfired?

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

Everything is possible. Is it probable, though? I doubt it.
People already complain about the high difficulty level of HoT content. Seems a bit unlikely to see something like that unless it would be in an instance or some “elite area”.

Posted by: LouWolfskin.3492

LouWolfskin.3492

Everything is possible. Is it probable, though? I doubt it.
People already complain about the high difficulty level of HoT content. Seems a bit unlikely to see something like that unless it would be in an instance or some “elite area”.

I never understood were this supposed high difficulty is though.
Do they deal a bit more damage? Sure but if you actually use what tools are at your… oh wait… answering my own train of thought allready.

If anything core game should get harder in my opinion.
People need to learn more about movement, skill usage (in every aspect) etc. instead of being pampered.
The only reason HoT possibly could feel hard is because the core game is way too easy in every aspect.

Tekey.7946

People already complain about the high difficulty level of HoT content.

The thing that annoyed me when I started HoT was constantly getting downed while traveling through the zones. Pocket raptors, mushrooms, chak, rolling devils attacked you all the time. They were much more powerful than any other core Tyria enemies. When you tried to fight them solo and accidentally pulled some other enemies, you were pretty much dead.
I can imagine that many people felt like that, but with the time you got used to it, you knew where to go and how to survive (plus earned the elite specialization). Eventually, I liked the difficulty of HoT to an extent and the old content often felt dull compared to it.

However, they added a lot of power/strength to the HoT enemies. The described smarter enemies should not be more powerful but react to your skills and attacks. That would make the combat more challenging as you don’t always hit them, but on the other hand the enemies are not dealing more damage (like the HoT foes did).

(edited by Tekey.7946)

Posted by: Alora.6841

Alora.6841

Enemies in a game connot be smarter than any one of the customers.

Enemy AI is a thing in games since ages. Every new game says it has smarter enemys, so the gamers who want interesting gameplay buy it, but enemys have to be stupid, so every one can best them ( maybe in the older days it really was a problem of not having the possibility to create a good AI but we should be past that).

Its one of the rules that you have to heed when you write tales for children: The villain cant be smarter than your target audience. So if you write a book, make a movie for 10 year olds, the hero has to be a 10 year old, who is smarter than everyone else, even if they are grownups.
Of course…some people dont get smarter, when they grow up. So if you want a big target audience even for adults…… the villain may not be smarter than a 10 year old ( seen in Episode 1 of the current Living Story, the pretty smart Caudecus turns stupid to not challenge the intelligence of any player).

I am Commander Shepard and Evons Company is my favorite store in Lion’s Arch.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Yeah, I’ve definitely noticed the new Svanir in bitterfrost frontier behaving oddly. The chak do this also. You’re fighting them and they just start walking away for no apparent reason. I thought it was because they were low on health or in close proximity to other enemies they could flee to for help. But I’ve seen it happen too many times for no apparent reason for that to be the case.

I would have to say the closest thing to “smart AI” are the shadowleapers in HoT. Since they evade ranged attacks and use only ranged attacks themselves, their frequent backward leaps and stealth teleports work great for them. They’re probably the most dangerous “trash” enemy I can think of as a result.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Attack them with ‘Hundred Blades’ and they will just take every single strike instead of dodging away and cover until you finished.

Back in beta there was a patch when mobs actually avoided our AoE fields. It was a pain in the butt to kill them, EVERYONE complained so Anet removed it. Just sayin’.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

people complained enough with the new mobs in HoT being OP, same with Orr at release.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Maybe some things enemies could do is:
DODGE!
Walk out of AoEs and walk around walls
Switch to melee if you summon a barrier

It gives a whole new depth to combat and makes CC more valuable

LouWolfskin.3492

DODGE!

You do realize that many people hate the fact that CC is needed in HoT at all right?

I’m not saying your wrong, if it were for me the whole core game would get at least pushed onto the difficulty of HoT, but this would create a giant wave of outburst.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

I find it rather amusing myself that my Elementalist can cast a volcano under the feet of the bad guy and they will just stand there until they die.

I think it would eventually get very frustrating and tedious if mobs dodged, parried and blocked all your attacks. Can you imagine having to fight through a group like that just to complete a heart objective where every enemy you fight takes five times longer to kill because they keep eluding your attacks? Yeah, that’s gonna get old real fast.

Those kinds of mechanics are best for something like a raid environment where you are better rewarded for your effort. I don’t want to spend 5 minutes killing some random bandit for him to only drop a broken lockpick.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I remember reading about devs putting smart AI into a shooter game after people complained that the mobs were stupid. What happened was that people completely ignored the obvious information given by the game about what the new, smarter AI was doing. For example, the mobs would yell out they were going to flank the player and attack from behind and then send a mob to go around and attack the player from behind (the players could see the mob moving on the map). The players would completely ignore this information and mob movement. They would focus their attack on the mobs right ahead of them then be astonished and outraged when the game “cheated” by attacking them from behind and killing them. The devs removed the smart AI after numerous complaints.

tl:dr
Smart AI isn’t going to happen when to many players don’t pay attention to what’s happening around them and won’t change even after dying to smart AI.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Tekey.7946

I find it rather amusing myself that my Elementalist can cast a volcano under the feet of the bad guy and they will just stand there until they die.

I think it would eventually get very frustrating and tedious if mobs dodged, parried and blocked all your attacks. Can you imagine having to fight through a group like that just to complete a heart objective where every enemy you fight takes five times longer to kill because they keep eluding your attacks? Yeah, that’s gonna get old real fast.

Those kinds of mechanics are best for something like a raid environment where you are better rewarded for your effort. I don’t want to spend 5 minutes killing some random bandit for him to only drop a broken lockpick.

I think we should see it as an open-world endgame (lvl 80 zones) mechanic. Let core Tyria be easy and increase the AI in future releases. With that in mind, I wouldn’t focus on hearts at all (as they turned out to be just like starter area tasks but repeatable). Make those zones special and worth to fight against smarter enemies, increase the loot as they take longer and they’re more challenging compared to normal trash mobs.

Back in beta there was a patch when mobs actually avoided our AoE fields. It was a pain in the butt to kill them, EVERYONE complained so Anet removed it. Just sayin’.

Nooo! Why I already heard so much about the beta of GW2, it seems like many mechanics and features didn’t make it to the real game.

Posted by: stephanie wise.7841

stephanie wise.7841

the koda said it to you son of svanir are not smart. even the svanir boss say that if you know how to speak you are smart for a svanir.

actually some of them run away when you attack them and other jump on you the one with the sword and axe. archer and wizard attack you from distance.

Posted by: stephanie wise.7841

stephanie wise.7841

I remember reading about devs putting smart AI into a shooter game after people complained that the mobs were stupid. What happened was that people completely ignored the obvious information given by the game about what the new, smarter AI was doing. For example, the mobs would yell out they were going to flank the player and attack from behind and then send a mob to go around and attack the player from behind (the players could see the mob moving on the map). The players would completely ignore this information and mob movement. They would focus their attack on the mobs right ahead of them then be astonished and outraged when the game “cheated” by attacking them from behind and killing them. The devs removed the smart AI after numerous complaints.

tl:dr
Smart AI isn’t going to happen when to many players don’t pay attention to what’s happening around them and won’t change even after dying to smart AI.

ai can be problematic for games devs. sometime the mob can go far from where they are suppose to be. even a npc sometime if you make him to smart he can leave the area and travel who knows where. this can cause issue. example if you need to talk to a npc and he decided this area is to dangerous and started to travel who knows where and you need to talk to him to do your daily or quest event etc…

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I think it would be amazingly annoying if mobs behaved “sensibly”. Even if they were made more squishy to compensate half our skills would be obsolete because the mobs would just dodge, block or step away from the damage. And imagine if at some point they decided to run away like a Skritt burglar. It might be more realistic but I’m not sure it would be more fun.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

DODGE!

You do realize that many people hate the fact that CC is needed in HoT at all right?

That’s.. pretty sad actually..
so people don’t want to equip CC skills, but rather want anet to cater to them?

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

DODGE!

well, I am trying to use a dag/warhorn tempest. I find that base ele has very little cc

I might try to ask that forum for tips.

Posted by: Tahm.8290

Tahm.8290

DODGE!

Whenever I use Lava Font or Air/Fire Overload, the mobs in BFF walk straight out of it.

~Basil Starshower~
~Worst Tempest NA~
~Skritt Kings~

loseridoit.2756

DODGE!

Whenever I use Lava Font or Air/Fire Overload, the mobs in BFF walk straight out of it.

really? I always see them walk into it. I sometimes think mobs do not realize my aoe exists.

Tahm.8290

DODGE!

really? I always see them walk into it. I sometimes think mobs do not realize my aoe exists.

They walk out without fail every single time for me.

~Basil Starshower~
~Worst Tempest NA~
~Skritt Kings~

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

They didn’t just avoid them, AoEs basically acted as a fear and was easy to exploit as the enemies would always run away from them. Nearly the same thing can seen in the new map, except enemies will occasionally ignore the AoE. As an elementalist for example, I’ve dropped a meteor shower and watched the griffons run far away, and sometimes they don’t even come back, though still in combat.

loseridoit.2756

DODGE!

all of them?

The only mob I can think of that does dodge is those shadow stepping frogs.

Every other mobs just seems like they are on a dodge timer.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Talking about PvE enemies, most of them are just standing in front of you no matter what you do. Attack them with ‘Hundred Blades’ and they will just take every single strike instead of dodging away and cover until you finished. Start a ‘Meteor Shower’ and they will just stay inside of the AOE field and wait for meteors instead of evading.

Let’s focus on the general aspect of AI here, of course some enemies will be smarter than others related to the lore. But this is more about the technical challenges. Would it be possible to see smarter enemies in future releases?

The enemies in Bitterfrost Frontier are a lot dumber than even the ones from launch.

You attack some of them and they just run off to a corner until you kill them.

Then we have the svanir from the griffon chick event that just run around like headless chicken.

I would have to say the closest thing to “smart AI” are the shadowleapers in HoT. Since they evade ranged attacks and use only ranged attacks themselves, their frequent backward leaps and stealth teleports work great for them. They’re probably the most dangerous “trash” enemy I can think of as a result.

I don’t think spamming evades can be considered smart …

The backwards leap can also result in them triggering their own leash mechanic. That is probably one of the dumbest thing in the game.

all of them?

Frogs are also on a timer. Mordrem snipers will dodge and CC melee by kicking them away. They also use stealth but nuhoch stealth detection renders that irrelevant so I am not sure what is the point.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Tahm.8290

DODGE!

all of them?

I said the mobs in Bitterfrost Frontier (BFF), not the rest of em.

~Basil Starshower~
~Worst Tempest NA~
~Skritt Kings~

Posted by: Nemo.5609

Nemo.5609

There’s something weird with the AI of the Bitterfrost frontier mobs. I’ve had them run away even if I’m not using any AoE, and they’ve also consistenly stood in AoE to die. The wolves occasionaly just leap at me, then run away until they can leap again (which isn’t that bad of a strategy).
More annoying to me is the aggro range, especially the veteran elementals. They seem to start shooting at me from ~1200 range away, and sometimes even bring other packs of wolves.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Khisanth.2948

There’s something weird with the AI of the Bitterfrost frontier mobs. I’ve had them run away even if I’m not using any AoE, and they’ve also consistenly stood in AoE to die. The wolves occasionaly just leap at me, then run away until they can leap again (which isn’t that bad of a strategy).
More annoying to me is the aggro range, especially the veteran elementals. They seem to start shooting at me from ~1200 range away, and sometimes even bring other packs of wolves.

On the other hand the elementals seem maybe slightly smarter? They do not seem to be susceptible to LoS pulling but there might be another reason for that.

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

If you go to Heart of the Mist map, and play against the “test dummies” there, you can see some of what the AI can do. Honestly the most fun fights in the game. They’re not perfect, but at least they make more use of their skills and react somewhat.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

loseridoit.2756

Frogs are also on a timer. Mordrem snipers will dodge and CC melee by kicking them away. They also use stealth but nuhoch stealth detection renders that irrelevant so I am not sure what is the point.

I know that frogs are on a timer. However, simple strategies are surprisingly strong. Having a simple strategy is better than no strategy. I consider fact that this mob has dodge and cc a step up.

I always wonder about the nuhoch stealth thing either.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

The saddest thing about gw2 is the loss of AI. GW2 players would cry if they had to fight against monsters with gw1 AI.

Khisanth.2948

I consider fact that this mob has dodge and cc a step up.

It’s the equivalent of random button mashing. There are well designed challenges and then there is using cheap tricks. Both methods can be used to challenge a player but they are not equal.

loseridoit.2756

If you go to Heart of the Mist map, and play against the “test dummies” there, you can see some of what the AI can do. Honestly the most fun fights in the game. They’re not perfect, but at least they make more use of their skills and react somewhat.

Although those mobs are a step than the rest of the game. Those mobs barely gives the feeling they react to anything since they always seems to spam the same skill rotation regardless

I would say those mobs are much more engaging.

loseridoit.2756

I consider fact that this mob has dodge and cc a step up.

It’s the equivalent of random button mashing. There are well designed challenges and then there is using cheap tricks. Both methods can be used to challenge a player but they are not equal.

For the vast majority of the game, there were only two choices: telegraph KO or small difficult to notice muti hit attacks that slowly eat a chuck of your health.

Giving mobs cc and dodge will force a player to reconsider that their dps rotation is optional.

I know there are cheap tricks or well design encounters, but I want enemies to be engaging.

I do not care if either exist, I want them to engage me. Sometimes, I think engagement is the acknowledgement that I pose somewhat a threat to them

Khisanth.2948

Button mashing counts as engaging? :/

Posted by: Hirasaki.6208

Hirasaki.6208

Try spamming hundred blades in pvp, lets see how far that gets you.

loseridoit.2756

Button mashing counts as engaging? :/

button smash is a strategy albeit a terrible one. I am not talking about the player here. I am talking about the ai….

Try spamming hundred blades in pvp, lets see how far that gets you.

you lose and thats the whole point…

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

The saddest thing about gw2 is the loss of AI. GW2 players would cry if they had to fight against monsters with gw1 AI.

This, the one thing I miss the most from GW1 is the “Charr Warbands”. 4 charrs of random classes thrown together, that fights together. Made for some really fun fights where you had to prioritize which ones to kill first, and how to battle them, what terrain to use etc.

This is something I want to see in GW2, and also why I like the HotM test dummy AI’s, they would make for pretty good AI’s for this purpose. Just have them move together, not walk to far away from each others, and you have 3-4 AI’s that can hit hard, can be somewhat difficult to take down etc. Would love it.

(Yes, agree that replacing every single AI with something like this would be nuts. I’d love it, but it would be nuts)

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

This is something I want to see in GW2, and also why I like the HotM test dummy AI’s, they would make for pretty good AI’s for this purpose. Just have them move together, not walk to far away from each others, and you have 3-4 AI’s that can hit hard, can be somewhat difficult to take down etc. Would love it.

That’s not possible in an open world mmorpg where anything from 1 to 100 players might be attacking a mob. The reason GW1 had a better AI is because it was instanced. Now you can say they should use an improved AI for dungeons/fractals/raids/story instances but that would mean developing 2 AIs for the game, one for open world and one for instances.

LouWolfskin.3492

DODGE!

well, I am trying to use a dag/warhorn tempest. I find that base ele has very little cc

I might try to ask that forum for tips.

Frozen Ground, that Air push, Immob in various ways, cripple, stun

Core Ele has just as much CC.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

A truly smart AI would be nearly unstoppable. That’s why the AI is deliberately stupid.

For example, a perfect AI could dodge your attacks with perfect timing.

A perfect AI would also ignore tanks and attack the squishiest and highest dps character. That’s why I never liked games that supported tanks — you have to include a way to get the mob to attack the tank, which is generally not the best plan for a smart mob.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

With most of the game consisting in the open world, and no option to select difficulty levels in instances, Anet has to design AI that doesn’t encumber the majority of the player base. Unfortunately the skill level of the player base as a whole is low enough that you get brain dead enemies that follow an often predictable script.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

A truly smart AI would be nearly unstoppable. That’s why the AI is deliberately stupid.

A perfect AI would also ignore tanks and attack the squishiest and highest dps character. That’s why I never liked games that supported tanks — you have to include a way to get the mob to attack the tank, which is generally not the best plan for a smart mob.

Play gw1 if you haven’t.

Monster ai,

-they focus the squishiest.
-won’t stand in aoe
-melee won’t stack more than 3 on a single target
-The healers kite from melee
-They know which of their allies are being attacked and will cast support skills on them
-they will attempt to interupt skills (visible activation bars in gw1)
-they won’t waste energy (resource) casting hexes/enchantments on targets that already have them, they can see the buff/debuff bars
-monsters with a self dmging hex (think confusion) would stop attacking if the next attack would kill them and cast non attack skills, if it was a hex that damaged self on spell casting and next spell would kill them they would just attack.
-if their enemy had an enchantment spell that dmged foes when struck, the ai would often just retarget another nearby enemy.

But it wasn’t completely troll or anything,
-if the enemy monk was the last foe from their party standing then they would stop kiting.

Khisanth.2948

That sounds more like a cheating AI.

Offense and defense would need be be part of the equation but definitely not stop there. A melee mob that chases constantly after the squishiest target would be a very stupid AI.

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Do the monsters have any AI or are the fights simply scripts that the monster follows.?
Making even a simple AI is a difficult task and given the numbers of mobs in the game making an AI for every one of them would be the worlds biggest task.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Yes the enemies are quite stupid. People complained when they were less so. Perhaps they arent the enemies we want, but the ones we deserve.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Better-mob-AI/first#post6422448

Have a look at that suggestion. It wouldn’t be a comprehensive change to mob AI, but would make it harder to predict what they would do regarding AoEs, and making AI harder to predict will make fights more engaging. Plus it comes with the added benefit (for Anet) of not actually having to come up with a cleverer AI.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

Play gw1 if you haven’t.

Monster ai,

-won’t stand in aoe
-They know which of their allies are being attacked and will cast support skills on them
-they won’t waste energy (resource) casting hexes/enchantments on targets that already have them, they can see the buff/debuff bars
-monsters with a self dmging hex (think confusion) would stop attacking if the next attack would kill them and cast non attack skills, if it was a hex that damaged self on spell casting and next spell would kill them they would just attack.
-if their enemy had an enchantment spell that dmged foes when struck, the ai would often just retarget another nearby enemy.

-if the enemy monk was the last foe from their party standing then they would stop kiting.

I have played GW1. There’s no dodge. A perfect AI in gw2 could hypothetically dodge with perfect timing.

PS It’s not cheating — just unfair.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Play gw1 if you haven’t.

Monster ai,

-won’t stand in aoe

I have played GW1. There’s no dodge. A perfect AI in gw2 could hypothetically dodge with perfect timing.

Yes good AI could dodge, twice, before running out. That assumes that mobs would be given full endurance.

You can still defeat a player opponent who dodges your attack in PvP.

Khisanth.2948

Play gw1 if you haven’t.

Monster ai,

-won’t stand in aoe

Yes good AI could dodge, twice, before running out. That assumes that mobs would be given full endurance.

You can still defeat a player opponent who dodges your attack in PvP.

Also from the other side. As seen in GW1 the AI wasn’t perfect at interrupting skills either.

That aside. The AI would need a way to decide what it does or does not dodge. An AI that just randomly dodges or easily baited to burn dodges would not be a very dumb AI as well. Although even that dumb AI would still be an improvement over what we have in terms of actual engagement.

Edit: did they finally fix that stupid forum bug???!