Why did you program your game this way?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Datsuni.4678

Datsuni.4678

Q:

Question stands in the tittle. I just dont get it. When you started working at a game there sure was hype and talk about esports and massive wvw battles. Now as a defining point for both you need few things:

For wvw:

1. The game has to be able to handle most of the ppl in one map actually fighting over one objective

2. It is crucial that you can see all the enemies you are fighting

3. Actual fighting is more interesting than flipping empty camps

4. Being able to punish larger forces as a small group should be encouraged?

For SPVP

1. Ability to make a custom arena. ( like we have after 9 months from release, but still with lacking options and commands. And it took alot of resources)

2. Being able to watch a replay of set game ( not present)

3. Having a functional automated tournament or matchmaking system with understandable and easy to use / read leaderboards.

That is just a few pointers. Iam sure quite many ppl can find more things. Obviously it is not easy to develop a game from ground up. But you need to identify the important points before you start programming and coding your game. You really cant plant a swimming pool on the top of a skyscraper unless you have planned for it from the beginning ( or if you are a sheik with limitless resources)

PVE:
As a last question: Could the ppl on anet watch their “manifesto” again and tell the ppl on forums: How is this game’s pve not about “swinging your sword” over and over again?
( like Paul Barnet saying: there will not be a healer going i heal and i heal again / facepalm)

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

A:

PVE:
As a last question: Could the ppl on anet watch their “manifesto” again and tell the ppl on forums: How is this game’s pve not about “swinging your sword” over and over again?
( like Paul Barnet saying: there will not be a healer going i heal and i heal again / facepalm)

My elementalist wields a staff.

Seriously, try anything other than a warrior and you’ll notice that there’s more to life than just auto attacking.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

WvW meet all the criteria and I didn’t think that any of the Spvp criteria are actually crucial.

Datsuni.4678

not really. wvw is unplayable if the whole zone is in one keep / objective. And spvp is crucial since this game was marketed as a Competetive PVP game

Mirta.5029

not really. wvw is unplayable if the whole zone is in one keep / objective. And spvp is crucial since this game was marketed as a Competetive PVP game

Do you mean you experience lag? If so maybe upgrading would help?
As it comes to Spvp I don’t consider any of your points crucial or needed.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Mirta is right, it’s not so much a problem on their part as it is on yours. And it’s been more than a month since you can see all your enemies and allies.

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Sure, fighting is more fun than pvd or camp flipping. But Anet isn’t forcing players to avoid fights, the players are doing it themselves, even if anet did give a few benefits for avoiding fighting. They can’t control players movements and choices.

And you can see all players.

Sure with the settings down all you see are names but that is all you need. Even if you could see each model it isn’t like you can understand what is going on on the battlefield other than 1 spam and aoe drops anyway.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

PVE:

3 Days after release of manifesto, Colin talked more about what was in the manifesto, and what you think it means and what he was actually talking about is 2 different things.

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Question stands in the tittle. I just dont get it. When you started working at a game there sure was hype and talk about esports and massive wvw battles. Now as a defining point for both you need few things:

For wvw:

1. The game has to be able to handle most of the ppl in one map actually fighting over one objective

2. It is crucial that you can see all the enemies you are fighting

3. Actual fighting is more interesting than flipping empty camps

4. Being able to punish larger forces as a small group should be encouraged?

PVE:

1. Upgrade. I run just fine at max settings in WvW, at all time.

2. Remove culling (see above).

3. Not ANet’s fault. No matter what system is implemented to encourage fighting, ANet can’t force players to not flip.

4. My friends and I, a group of 4, held out against a group of roughly 15 at the Northernmost camp on the Borderlands, Spiritholme. At some point though you will not have enough force.

PvE:
Manifesto was a PR campaign and everyone knows it. Those who still cling to every word if it will be sorely disappointed and find their experience in Tyria severely lacking.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

WvW meet all the criteria and I didn’t think that any of the Spvp criteria are actually crucial.

You clearly never played World vs. World on prime-time. WvW isn’t challenging in any way (and by this I mean it is not competitive PvP):

• Numbers > Skill (including: auto-attacking, zerging, server imbalance)
  • Skill lagg
  • Coverage wars: Player vs. Door
Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

Sure, fighting is more fun than pvd or camp flipping. But Anet isn’t forcing players to avoid fights, the players are doing it themselves, even if anet did give a few benefits for avoiding fighting. They can’t control players movements and choices.

ANet is to blame for the mechanics, and incentives in the game though, which is causing players to act in certain ways. What’s more, because there’s a conflict between “what’s optimal” and “what’s fun”, in WvW, it leads to a lot of player dissatisfaction for everyone.

I’ve written a post about it:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Strategy-vs-Tactics-aka-GLORY/2865392

Basically, WvW is a strategic game at the moment. In strategy, the best choice you have is to take an objective that the enemy isnt defending. To run away when you are outnumbered. To overwhelm the enemy with numbers as much as possible.

This leads to a gametype where the optimal choice is to run with a zerg and PvDoor. It doesnt help that this also generates the most points for your server, and the most personal rewards.

My post that I linked makes the suggestion, “Why don’t we de-emphasize strategy, which noone likes, and concentrate on tactical gameplay, which is what everyone wants?”

Basically, the best rewards and victory for your server is obtained by seeking fair fights and winning. The mechanics, rewards, and scoring system needs to be designed to promote tactical gameplay – ie. winning fights.

Noone plays WvW to “lose the battle, win the war” via being more effective at PvDoor. People want to experience glorious large scale sieges and combat.

Mirta.5029

You clearly never played World vs. World on prime-time. WvW isn’t challenging in any way (and by this I mean it is not competitive PvP):

• Numbers > Skill (including: auto-attacking, zerging, server imbalance)
  • Skill lagg
  • Coverage wars: Player vs. Door

ever followed an actual competent guild commander? Only 3 or 4 guilds allowed to make the main zerg. Others get put in
1. Diversion attacking (you take their attention off)
2. Sneak attacking (a group of 5 or 6 are sent to take keeps alone)
3. Spying
4. Smart and selective defending (you’re sent off in a group of 15 or so to defend key keeps)
Or are you just a random pug that they normally add to the regular zerg?

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

On the contrary. I only play WvW as a solo roamer or a small team roamer. Never as a zerger. Sadly, 95% of the population is running with 60-man blobs… hardly feasible for a roamer like myself.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Xcom.1926

Xcom.1926

PVE:

3 Days after release of manifesto, Colin talked more about what was in the manifesto, and what you think it means and what he was actually talking about is 2 different things.

Link or source to this? I don’t want to get into an argument about the whole Manifesto thing again, but I want to see what Colin had to say about it.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

PVE:

Erm, and what could he possibly have been talking about when he said “you swing your sword, then swing it again”?

It’s ironic considering this is probably the most autoattack-dominated game out there.

eisberg.2379

PVE:

Link or source to this? I don’t want to get into an argument about the whole Manifesto thing again, but I want to see what Colin had to say about it.

Ok, I was wrong about it being a part of the Manifesto Reactions Blog released 3 days after the manifest released, that explanation wasn’t in there. But if you go to the official wiki they have the whole quote:

Colin

“When you look at the art in our game, you say ‘Wow, that’s visually stunning. I’ve never seen anything like that before,’ and then when you play the combat in our game, you say ‘Wow, that’s incredible. I’ve never seen anything like that.’ In most games, you go out, and you have really fun tasks, occasionally, that you get to do, and the rest of the game is this boring grind to get to the fun stuff. ‘I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. Hey! I swung it again.’ That’s great. We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that. No one finds it fun. We want to change the way that people view combat.”

What he was talking about is doing boring grinds to get to the fun stuff. Taking that one phrase out of the whole paragraph takes it completely out of context.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/ArenaNet's_MMO_Manifesto_trailer

eisberg.2379

PVE:

Erm, and what could he possibly have been talking about when he said “you swing your sword, then swing it again”?

It’s ironic considering this is probably the most autoattack-dominated game out there.

The whole paragraph that that phrase comes from what talking about doing boring grinds to get to do the fun tasks/stuff. Read my post above this one.

Xcom.1926

PVE:

Ok, I was wrong about it being a part of the Manifesto Reactions Blog released 3 days after the manifest released, that explanation wasn’t in there. But if you go to the official wiki they have the whole quote:

Colin

“When you look at the art in our game, you say ‘Wow, that’s visually stunning. I’ve never seen anything like that before,’ and then when you play the combat in our game, you say ‘Wow, that’s incredible. I’ve never seen anything like that.’ In most games, you go out, and you have really fun tasks, occasionally, that you get to do, and the rest of the game is this boring grind to get to the fun stuff. ‘I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. Hey! I swung it again.’ That’s great. We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that. No one finds it fun. We want to change the way that people view combat.”

What he was talking about is doing boring grinds to get to the fun stuff. Taking that one phrase out of the whole paragraph takes it completely out of context.

Yeah but he also said, "We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that. No one finds it fun. "

Also, in the aspect of “grinding stuff to get the the fun stuff”, what MMO makes you grind to get to the fun stuff? I can’t think of any. It seems like all MMOs are the same in this regard.

Regardless, the person you quoted talked about “swinging the sword again and again”, and he was right in that regard.

I am over that, I understand things change in MMOs. But lets not act like they actually fulfilled what is in there.

(edited by Xcom.1926)

eisberg.2379

PVE:

Colin

Yeah but he also said, "We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that. No one finds it fun. "

Also, in the aspect of “grinding stuff to get the the fun stuff”, what MMO makes you grind to get to the fun stuff? I can’t think of any. It seems like all MMOs are the same in this regard.

Regardless, the person you quoted talked about “swinging the sword again and again”, and he was right in that regard.

I am over that, I understand things change in MMOs. But lets not act like they actually fulfilled what is in there.

Again, in the context of the paragraph, he said they do not want people to grind to get the fun stuff, and they did that. I can’t think of any MMO, other than Guild Wars 2, that doesn’t make you grind to get to the fun stuff. In WoW, want to go on to the next raid? Sorry, you can’t, you have to raid this same raid over and over and over again for months to get the gear you need to to go to the next raid. I did the raiding scene on many other MMOs, and it was a huge grind to get on to the next raid, even though our guild could almost do the previous raid blind folded, it posed no challenge anymore, nor did we ever see anything new in the raid.

And no, the person I quoted was not right at all. He is only right if you take that phrase out of context.

And yes, they did fulfill what they put in the manifesto if you keep everything in context of what they were talking about.

(edited by eisberg.2379)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

ANet is to blame for the mechanics, and incentives in the game though, which is causing players to act in certain ways. What’s more, because there’s a conflict between “what’s optimal” and “what’s fun”, in WvW, it leads to a lot of player dissatisfaction for everyone.

I’ve written a post about it:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Strategy-vs-Tactics-aka-GLORY/2865392

Basically, WvW is a strategic game at the moment. In strategy, the best choice you have is to take an objective that the enemy isnt defending. To run away when you are outnumbered. To overwhelm the enemy with numbers as much as possible.

This leads to a gametype where the optimal choice is to run with a zerg and PvDoor. It doesnt help that this also generates the most points for your server, and the most personal rewards.

My post that I linked makes the suggestion, “Why don’t we de-emphasize strategy, which noone likes, and concentrate on tactical gameplay, which is what everyone wants?”

Basically, the best rewards and victory for your server is obtained by seeking fair fights and winning. The mechanics, rewards, and scoring system needs to be designed to promote tactical gameplay – ie. winning fights.

Noone plays WvW to “lose the battle, win the war” via being more effective at PvDoor. People want to experience glorious large scale sieges and combat.

This is why so many players “violate the game mode” — PvD, while great if you need the karma, is very very boring.

Knote.2904

PVE:

The whole paragraph that that phrase comes from what talking about doing boring grinds to get to do the fun tasks/stuff. Read my post above this one.

You mean like how I had to spend the past week leveling my Engy to 80 through boring hearts/DE’s until I could do the fun stuff at 80?

Mirta.5029

You mean like how I had to spend the past week leveling my Engy to 80 through boring hearts/DE’s until I could do the fun stuff at 80?

Doesn’t that depend on a personal play style? Many of us feel like doing the zones is more fun than anything that you can do at 80.

Datsuni.4678

For me this game isnt about just doing zones. It was supposed to be about PVP, but it seems like that it turned around to just farming mobs.

You really need to be extremely engaged with the world, if you are thinking that the new events every two weeks are anything more than another champ grind for better lewts or more currency.

The original question was really concerning the systems behind this game. It is clear that this company but alot of effort into making a system that allows easy / fast content and event adding in terms of “living world”. But when it comes to creating / managing similiar systems in pvp the effort just seems to not be there. Surely you threw a fix for culling. but what about the skilllag? The unability to use your skills in anything other than spamming one. And no it is not because of my rig, it is the fault of server hardware and most likely cant be fixed.

So perhaps the solution then could lie in creating systems and mechanics that would actually punish the zerg play in a way that it would just not be wise to run in a 80 man blob. Iam sure a professional game developer could figure out something different than slapping in a buff with awesome capture circles, and then creates lagg when the server keeps checking and checking for the buff.

This whole rant really started from the post of a dev saying that adding a pause function into your “competetive gamemode” would be extremely diffucult.

Why do you create games of this size and then make it seemingly impossible to edit or add functions into it? The pause thing is just one example. The amount of time it took for simple leaderboards to appear also reflects that there most be something fundamentally wrong in the background. And still you keep pushing and pushing this game

I would also really like know why you marketed your game for pvp, but than decided to not really moneytize your pvp content in anyway? Since that obviously led the company to shift more and more resources to the pve side, because that is the thing bringing money into anets pockets.

PS. Please comment this with comments OMG you are such a bad player. They are really relevant and on the ball.

eisberg.2379

PVE:

Don’t be playing an RPG that has leveling up if you do not like playing RPGs that have leveling up? Don’t be playing an RPG PVE that is heavily marketed towards the Dynamic Events if you do not like doing Dynamic Events? Nice try, but your argument doesn’t work against Colin’s statement. You just picked the wrong game if you didn’t want to level up and play in Dynamic Events /rolleyes

(edited by eisberg.2379)

Knote.2904

Doesn’t that depend on a personal play style? Many of us feel like doing the zones is more fun than anything that you can do at 80.

Hahaha, you almost had me there.

PVE:

Don’t be playing an RPG that has leveling up if you do not like playing RPGs that have leveling up? Don’t be playing an RPG PVE that is heavily marketed towards the Dynamic Events if you do not like doing Dynamic Events? Nice try, but your argument doesn’t work against Colin’s statement. You just picked the wrong game if you didn’t want to level up and play in Dynamic Events /rolleyes

I do like RPG’s and progression, that’s why I play them.

But leveling is completely pointless in this game, all it does is force me to waste my time doing crap that gets boring incredibly fast so I can just get my gear/traits/skill to actually play the game where I’m not kitten.

Not only is it a chore to 100% the map on a single character because of how boring it gets (all the zones are the same except for atmosphere and “lore”, all the events are almost exactly the same), but having to do it again on each character? Jesus.

And this game is nothing about Dynamic Events anymore, because Anet realized how poorly received they were (because they’re EXTREMELY basic and uninteresting, and not rewarding).

Why would anyone want to continue doing dynamic events that is literally just “kill a wave of easy mobs, now kill another, all done.”?

Friggin Public Quests (dynamic events essentially) from Warhammer Online were more interesting and had more diversity, and PvE was a tacked on feature for that game lol.

(edited by Knote.2904)

Mirta.5029

Hahaha, you almost had me there.

I do like RPG’s and progression, that’s why I play them.

But leveling is completely pointless in this game, all it does is force me to waste my time doing crap that gets boring incredibly fast so I can just get my gear/traits/skill to actually play the game where I’m not kitten.

Not only is it a chore to 100% the map on a single character because of how boring it gets (all the zones are the same except for atmosphere and “lore”, all the events are almost exactly the same), but having to do it again on each character? Jesus.

And this game is nothing about Dynamic Events anymore, because Anet realized how poorly received they were (because they’re EXTREMELY basic and uninteresting, and not rewarding).

Why would anyone want to continue doing dynamic events that is literally just “kill a wave of easy mobs, now kill another, all done.”?

Friggin Public Quests (dynamic events essentially) from Warhammer Online were more interesting and had more diversity, and PvE was a tacked on feature for that game lol.

If you don’t enjoy the majority of the game, why play it?
This game is about your, as a character, journey. Your journey goes trough the personal story and trough the PVE environment. If you take your time you can hear thousands upon thousands of tales steaming from NPCs.
If you don’t enjoy the journey aspect of it, what are you playing it for? To grind for the best tier that doesn’t give you that much of an advantage? To run the same dungeons over and over and over again? I would understand if you would be primarily doing WvW, but then your sentence of getting 100% on every each character does not make sense. What kind of weird goal did you set for yourself?

Xcom.1926

Again, in the context of the paragraph, he said they do not want people to grind to get the fun stuff, and they did that. I can’t think of any MMO, other than Guild Wars 2, that doesn’t make you grind to get to the fun stuff. In WoW, want to go on to the next raid? Sorry, you can’t, you have to raid this same raid over and over and over again for months to get the gear you need to to go to the next raid. I did the raiding scene on many other MMOs, and it was a huge grind to get on to the next raid, even though our guild could almost do the previous raid blind folded, it posed no challenge anymore, nor did we ever see anything new in the raid.

And no, the person I quoted was not right at all. He is only right if you take that phrase out of context.

And yes, they did fulfill what they put in the manifesto if you keep everything in context of what they were talking about.

Yeah if the context is they didn’t accomplish anything they set out to do, yeah then we can take them in context. You and 12 other people can keep believing that. The real context is them saying things like that along with saying things like this:

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.” -Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

(edited by Xcom.1926)

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

Yeah if the context is they didn’t accomplish anything they set out to do, yeah then we can take them in context. You and 12 other people can keep believing that. The real context is them saying things like that along with saying things like this:

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.” -Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

I don’t care. No contents locks me out for not having x item level like every other mmos. I don’t need ascended or legendary to do the contents I want.

(edited by Poplolita.2638)

Xcom.1926

I don’t care. No contents locks me out for not having x item level like every other mmos. I don’t need ascended or legendary to do the contents I want.

We will see how this turns out. Because it will be hard to balance content to make it challenging for people will ascended and at the same time not make it too hard for people without it.

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

We will see how this turns out. Because it will be hard to balance content to make it challenging for people will ascended and at the same time not make it too hard for people without it.

When I said lock. I really meant lock like in the literal term. “You can’t enter this dungeon because you do not have an itemlevel higher than x”. For now, gw2 doesn’t have this system, and I’m happy with it. I’m not going to get stuck with assumptions or predictions that may happen or not like you seem to be.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

PVE:

My elementalist wields a staff.

Seriously, try anything other than a warrior and you’ll notice that there’s more to life than just auto attacking.

LOL actually everything other then the ele has a #1 spam weapon. It’s not just the warrior dude it’s the entire setup of how they handle the combat. It’s borked and it’s time for a change.

As far as OP is concerned I’d like to know the answer to the PVE question as well. We’ve been asking it for a year now and no answer. Hopefully now that they’ve extended the arm of collaboration we’ll get some kind of answer as to why it was never done that way.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

eisberg.2379

Yup, and the item that takes 1000s of hours that other players can’t realistically acquire is differentiated by appearance … its called legendary. Ascended doesn’t take thousands of hours to grind, and it is very much realistic for players to get.

eisberg.2379

As far as OP is concerned I’d like to know the answer to the PVE question as well. We’ve been asking it for a year now and no answer. Hopefully now that they’ve extended the arm of collaboration we’ll get some kind of answer as to why it was never done that way.

There is nothing for Anet to answer in that PVE question. That question is based on people taking that very phrase completely out of context. And in the context of how that phrase was actually used by Colin, Anet did in fact do it that way.

Xcom.1926

Yup, and the item that takes 1000s of hours that other players can’t realistically acquire is differentiated by appearance … its called legendary. Ascended doesn’t take thousands of hours to grind, and it is very much realistic for players to get.

But ascended is more powerful. And players will try and grind to get the best gear in the game. Exotics isn’t good enough. You seem to have ignored the most important part of the whole thing. Especially the “we don’t make grindy games”. Convenient.

The main point is, this game was supposed to be about vertical progression but it isn’t anymore. It became just like every other MMO in that regard. Grind for hours on end to get the best gear in the game.

(edited by Xcom.1926)

Xcom.1926

They answered the question:

http://youtu.be/Jy7CcwnfUdU?t=1m48s

He said they underestimated how quickly people would get exotics. He said exotics were supposed to be the upper tier, but it wasn’t. So now ascended will do what exotics were supposed to do. Basically ascended is a mistake, to a problem they had to fix.

But he hints that it might be the last tier, but no promises.

As per the “swing the sword” comment, what else can you expect? It is an video game after all. The whole thing was a marketing/PR piece to get people to buy the game. Off course you are just going to swing your sword.

You know just like the “event doesn’t respawn 10 minutes later” part.

(edited by Xcom.1926)

eisberg.2379

But ascended is more powerful. And players will try and grind to get the best gear in the game. Exotics isn’t good enough. You seem to have ignored the most important part of the whole thing. Convenient.

Just so you know, Colin said that they didn’t plan to put ascended into the game. They underestimated how quickly people got ascended which is why they put ascended items into the game.

This game was supposed to be about vertical progression but it isn’t anymore. It became just like every other MMO in that regard. Grind for hours on end to get the best gear.

ok? Still doesn’t take 1000s of hours to get an ascended item, also it is realistically in the reach of the average player, and isn’t a grind to get them, nor do you need to grind to get them so you can actually participate in content. I didn’t forget about the “we don’t make grindy games”, cause I don’t see one in Guild Wars 2, I see only see optional grind. I don’t ever remember Anet stating there was going to be no Vertical progression prior to the game releasing, I don’t remember them ever stating that it was all supposed to be about getting skins, and horizontal progression. Sounds like a lot of assumptions were made, unless you got some quotes from them prior to the release of the game?

(edited by eisberg.2379)

Xcom.1926

But ascended is more powerful. And players will try and grind to get the best gear in the game. Exotics isn’t good enough. You seem to have ignored the most important part of the whole thing. Convenient.

Just so you know, Colin said that they didn’t plan to put ascended into the game. They underestimated how quickly people got ascended which is why they put ascended items into the game.

This game was supposed to be about vertical progression but it isn’t anymore. It became just like every other MMO in that regard. Grind for hours on end to get the best gear.

ok? Still doesn’t take 1000s of hours to get an ascended item, also it is realistically in the reach of the average player. I don’t ever remember Anet stating there was going to be no Vertical progression prior to the game releasing, I don’t remember them ever stating that it was all supposed to be about getting skins, and horizontal progression. Sounds like a lot of assumptions were made, unless you got some quotes from them prior to the release of the game?

But it still is a grind to get the best gear in the game. We are all going to grind for the best gear in the game. The game became about grinding for the best gear in the game. Previously to ascended this was not the case. Which is what GW2 didn’t set out to be. At release you saw that plan in motion. You got skins for doing dungeons. And exotics were cap. Same with legendaries. Sometime went wrong along the way and they changed they did a 180 on their original plan. And I am sure they had their reason for it.

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I am curious. It has been a year. I see post here who list everything in the game and complain about it. If you dislike all of those aspects of the game, AFTER A FULL YEAR, why are you here trolling the forums?

My server is jam packed with players. I can literally go as far as the “The Grove” and find more players cutting up in map chat having fun, then there are negative posters here. So what makes you very small handful of players, feel Your complaints are more valid then our fun?

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Xcom.1926

I am curious. It has been a year. I see post here who list everything in the game and complain about it. If you dislike all of those aspects of the game, AFTER A FULL YEAR, why are you here trolling the forums?

My server is jam packed with players. I can literally go as far as the “The Grove” and find more players cutting up in map chat having fun, then there are negative posters here. So what makes you very small handful of players, feel Your complaints are more valid then our fun?

People will always whine. Even 5 years from now. Most of it is not trolling but negative criticism, although trolling exists.

And it must be nice being on a T1 server.

eisberg.2379

ok? Still doesn’t take 1000s of hours to get an ascended item, also it is realistically in the reach of the average player. I don’t ever remember Anet stating there was going to be no Vertical progression prior to the game releasing, I don’t remember them ever stating that it was all supposed to be about getting skins, and horizontal progression. Sounds like a lot of assumptions were made, unless you got some quotes from them prior to the release of the game?

But it still is a grind to get the best gear in the game. We are all going to grind for the best gear in the game. The game became about grinding for the best gear in the game. Previously to ascended this was not the case. Which is what GW2 didn’t set out to be. At release you saw that plan in motion. You got skins for doing dungeons. And exotics were cap. Same with legendaries. Sometime went wrong along the way and they changed they did a 180 on their original plan. And I am sure they had their reason for it.

I don’t see the grind. Getting a legendary, that is a grind. Getting Raid gear in WoW to participate in the next raid by repeating the same exact boss fight over and over and over again with it getting easier each and every time for months to come, that is a grind. Getting all the ascended stuff by doing the same kind of stuff I have been doing since level 1, that isn’t a grind. Sure it takes time, but it is all optional, and there no hurry to get it.

Xcom.1926

I don’t see the grind. Getting a legendary, that is a grind. Getting Raid gear in WoW to participate in the next raid by repeating the same exact boss fight over and over and over again with it getting easier each and every time for months to come, that is a grind. Getting all the ascended stuff by doing the same kind of stuff I have been doing since level 1, that isn’t a grind. Sure it takes time, but it is all optional, and there no hurry to get it.

Grinding is not necessarily doing the same thing over and over again, by the way, although it can be. Here is an example of what needs to be done to get trinkets:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Fixing-Ascended-Gear/first

If that is not grinding, I don’t know what is. This is the very definition of grinding. What makes it worse is that it is time gated.

Also, I don’t see how you could call legendaries a grind but not ascended?

(edited by Xcom.1926)

eisberg.2379

Grinding is not necessarily doing the same thing over and over again, by the way, although it can be. Here is an example of what needs to be done to get trinkets:

If that is not grinding, I don’t know what is. This is the very definition of grinding. What makes it worse is that it is time gated.

yeah, and what I see is gaining ascended stuff by just doing the stuff I normally do anyways, sure it takes time, but there is no need for them anyways. /shrug

Xcom.1926

yeah, and what I see is gaining ascended stuff by just doing the stuff I normally do anyways, sure it takes time, but there is no need for them anyways. /shrug

Sure, doing 6 guild missions every week for 4 weeks, being a small part to the recipe to craft ascended trinkets is something you do normally. You might be the hardcore type. For most casual players getting a trinket itself would take 3-4 months at the very least.

eisberg.2379

Sure, doing 6 guild missions every week for 4 weeks, being a small part to the recipe to craft ascended trinkets is something you do normally. You might be the hardcore type. For most casual players getting a trinket itself would take 3-4 months at the very least.

I am a casual players, been playing the game since release, and only have about 300 hours played, and 3-4 months is fine with me. The key point here, it is not needed.

Xcom.1926

I am a casual players, been playing the game since release, and only have about 300 hours played, and 3-4 months is fine with me. The key point here, it is not needed.

Oh then good, you will probably never see an ascended piece. Here is my point in the whole thing. I am sure Arenanet had a reason to put in ascended although it wasn’t originally intended. They probably have a good reason for it, either because Chinese players will want something like that or because they saw terrible retention in players at launch and realized things needed to change. Or something else.

But in 8-10 months. When a good portion of the population has ascended gear and are stronger than the casuals or the average Joe. How are they going to balance dungeons to make it challenging enough for the ascended player and not to hard for the casual? That is the fear of the power creep that GW2 now has.

Not to mention for people that play this game solely for WvW, they will almost have to get it to compete in WvW.

Xcom.1926

When I said lock. I really meant lock like in the literal term. “You can’t enter this dungeon because you do not have an itemlevel higher than x”. For now, gw2 doesn’t have this system, and I’m happy with it. I’m not going to get stuck with assumptions or predictions that may happen or not like you seem to be.

I am pretty sure you can enter any content in any MMO without needing the gear. You just can’t use the queue system for it.

eisberg.2379

Oh then good, you will probably never see an ascended piece. Here is my point in the whole thing. I am sure Arenanet had a reason to put in ascended although it wasn’t originally intended. They probably have a good reason for it, either because Chinese players will want something like that or because they saw terrible retention in players at launch and realized things needed to change. Or something else.

But in 8-10 months. When a good portion of the population has ascended gear and are stronger than the casuals or the average Joe. How are they going to balance dungeons to make it challenging enough for the ascended player and not to hard for the casual? That is the fear of the power creep that GW2 now has.

Not to mention for people that play this game solely for WvW, they will almost have to get it to compete in WvW.

Well considering that the game seems to be balanced around Fine quality gear, I don’t think it is going to be an issue. If they haven’t balanced the game based on most players having rare/exotics by now, then there is no indication that they will all of the sudden balance the game for ascended.

eisberg.2379

I am pretty sure you can enter any content in any MMO without needing the gear. You just can’t use the queue system for it.

You can’t even come close to completing the content without the gear. Take WoW for instance, there was no way a group of people in Blue gear could take on Naxx (Tier 3 raid), take that in comparison to Guild Wars 2 where you can complete everything wearing blue gear.

Xcom.1926

You can’t even come close to completing the content without the gear. Take WoW for instance, there was no way a group of people in Blue gear could take on Naxx (Tier 3 raid), take that in comparison to Guild Wars 2 where you can complete everything wearing blue gear.

I was just correcting him. You are not locked. If you “take your time” you can level in that game and do all the level 15-90 dungeons/raids in all blues if you wanted to, save for a select few top tier max level raids. Basically you can do 99% of the content in blues.

(edited by Xcom.1926)

Mirta.5029

I only have one character that has both ascended trinkets, however I do tend to normally do guild missions. My guild has catch up missions on Saturdays, 3PM, where we all, that normally don’t get to participate in them during busy work days come together for 2 hours to do them all. I normally do it, because it’s fun interaction and quite profitable.